The Official Project Cafe Thread: CONFIRMED BY NINTENDO!!! (Specs Leaked?)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Scoob64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1601 Scoob64
Member since 2008 • 2635 Posts

[QUOTE="Sphenodonta"]

[QUOTE="Scoob64"]

but anywho, i think nintendo alrdy confirmed the sceen to be 'high-def', which would rule out a 4:3. i can't wait for e3

blizzvalve

Why can't 4:3 be hi-def? (honest question, I don't know why 16:9 is hi-def...)

Depends on what resolution the screen is. Standard definition is anything 640x480 and below. Sub-Hd is anywhere between the following resolution and 1280x720 (or 720p). High definition is any resolution above 720p. High definition images can appear in a 4:3 screen as long as the resolution is high enough. The Ipad has a 4:3 resolution and its still considered HD. What I expect from this controller is a sub-HD screen (ranging between 4:3 and 5:3) because anything wider would make the controller too big.

well, that was the older meaning of 'high-def', as the ipad has a 1024x768 reslution... which was traditional for monitors years ago. however, true 'high definition' by today's definition, without the need for scaling, would require a widescreen resolution. but yeah, nintendo might just mean 'high-resolution' for a 4:3 screen ratio.

AmayaPapaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#1602 AmayaPapaya
Member since 2008 • 9029 Posts

I hope the screen really isn't that big :?

ItsBriskBaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#1603 ItsBriskBaby
Member since 2007 • 1748 Posts

I feel like they are droping the price of the Wii because they know that this Wii2 is gonna be expensive. I mean come on, a 1080p touch screen controller isn't gonna be $50-60 more like $100 and that's just for the controller. Just imagine what the system is gonna cost. I think this is gonna make or bust Nintendo this time around. They got close to their demise from the Game Cube and the Wii saved them, I think it's gonna be another GC incident. I always wanted Nintendo to be a power house, but I think it's a little to late for them now considering the others in the game now. I would love to see a Zelda, Metroid, Mario, etc.. perform in a GFX power house, but I think the fire is gone for the moment.

WreckEm711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1604 WreckEm711
Member since 2010 • 7362 Posts

I feel like they are droping the price of the Wii because they know that this Wii2 is gonna be expensive. I mean come on, a 1080p touch screen controller isn't gonna be $50-60 more like $100 and that's just for the controller. Just imagine what the system is gonna cost. I think this is gonna make or bust Nintendo this time around. They got close to their demise from the Game Cube and the Wii saved them, I think it's gonna be another GC incident. I always wanted Nintendo to be a power house, but I think it's a little to late for them now considering the others in the game now. I would love to see a Zelda, Metroid, Mario, etc.. perform in a GFX power house, but I think the fire is gone for the moment.

ItsBriskBaby

THey always drop console prices to push units out before the new console, lol

ItsBriskBaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1605 ItsBriskBaby
Member since 2007 • 1748 Posts

[QUOTE="ItsBriskBaby"]

WreckEm711

I know that, but Nintendo has dropped a considable amount since launch, not to mention they really didn't need to do it now because they are selling damn well atm. I feel they are doing it like this because when they start announcing the price of the Wii2 it's gonna be like the PS3 $600 reactions all over again.

WreckEm711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1606 WreckEm711

[QUOTE="WreckEm711"]

[QUOTE="ItsBriskBaby"]

ItsBriskBaby

I know that, but Nintendo has dropped a considable amount since launch, not to mention they really didn't need to do it now because they are selling damn well atm. I feel they are doing it like this because when they start announcing the price of the Wii2 it's gonna be like the PS3 $600 reactions all over again.

They've been able to drop the price a lot because the hardware is ancient and cheap to produce :P There is absolutely 0 chance Nintendo would be that stupid.

blizzvalve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#1607 blizzvalve
Member since 2007 • 14052 Posts

[QUOTE="WreckEm711"]

[QUOTE="ItsBriskBaby"]

ItsBriskBaby

It depends on how powerful the console truely is. If it is "significantly more powerful than the PS3 and 360" (which can be interpreted in many different ways), then we can possibly see a high price point for the system. However, if it is just a minor leap over the current-gen consoles, then I don't expect the price to be over $400. Plus the screen on the controller is more likely to be sub-HD with streaming technology similar to Onlive. I expect something along the lines of $50 to $60 for the controller.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#1608 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

Is the controller really going to have a screen in the middle of it?

Silverbond
No, it's all lies! :x
Arach666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#1609 Arach666
Member since 2009 • 23286 Posts

[QUOTE="Silverbond"]

charizard1605

I bet it´s true!

Sphenodonta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#1610 Sphenodonta
Member since 2008 • 2204 Posts

[QUOTE="charizard1605"][QUOTE="Silverbond"]

Arach666

I bet it´s true!

Maybe it's both?
timmy00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#1611 timmy00
Member since 2006 • 15360 Posts

So what did I miss? I haven't been following this project Cafe thing. >_>

:P

*goes to check first post*

Sphenodonta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1612 Sphenodonta
Well, there was this stuff that people are talking about that may or may not happen, then people argued. Some people tried to back their arguments with questionable sources while others attempted a logical backing. Some pictures floated around, and opinions were thrown at the hopes of others, all while lurkers laugh and wait till E3. You know... ...the same thing that happens when ever new system rumors leak. Same old same old
Arach666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1613 Arach666
[QUOTE="Arach666"]

[QUOTE="charizard1605"] No, it's all lies! :xSphenodonta

I bet it´s true!

Maybe it's both?

That would be quite a feat.
Scoob64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1614 Scoob64

timmy00

for you and everyone else that may be behind on the Project Cafe news- heres everything known about the console in one place :) >>LINK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1615 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

[QUOTE="Sphenodonta"][QUOTE="Arach666"] I bet it´s true!

Arach666

Maybe it's both?

Pfffft, it's easy. I do it all the time.

timmy00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1616 timmy00

[QUOTE="timmy00"]

Scoob64

for you and everyone else that may be behind on the Project Cafe news- heres everything known about the console in one place :) >>LINK

Ah thank you very much. I'll go read it now.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1617 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

[QUOTE="Scoob64"]

[QUOTE="timmy00"]

timmy00

You should have read it by now! :evil:
Arach666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1618 Arach666

[QUOTE="Arach666"][QUOTE="Sphenodonta"] Maybe it's both?charizard1605

Pfffft, it's easy. I do it all the time.

You always do it wrong though,as usual.
locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1619 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts

[QUOTE="blizzvalve"]

[QUOTE="Sphenodonta"] Why can't 4:3 be hi-def? (honest question, I don't know why 16:9 is hi-def...)

Scoob64

Depends on what resolution the screen is. Standard definition is anything 640x480 and below. Sub-Hd is anywhere between the following resolution and 1280x720 (or 720p). High definition is any resolution above 720p. High definition images can appear in a 4:3 screen as long as the resolution is high enough. The Ipad has a 4:3 resolution and its still considered HD. What I expect from this controller is a sub-HD screen (ranging between 4:3 and 5:3) because anything wider would make the controller too big.

well, that was the older meaning of 'high-def', as the ipad has a 1024x768 reslution... which was traditional for monitors years ago. however, true 'high definition' by today's definition, without the need for scaling, would require a widescreen resolution. but yeah, nintendo might just mean 'high-resolution' for a 4:3 screen ratio.

Aspect ratio is nothing to do with it surely? I mean, if we had a 40,000x30,000 screen, pretty that would count as high def :P
Avatar image for Nintendo_Ownes7
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#1620 Nintendo_Ownes7
Member since 2005 • 30973 Posts

Here are some other mockups of a controller.

http://i.imgur.com/jv2JC.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/dVoK7.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/8WrPK.jpg

The last two is interesting take on AR games where you can use the controllers to have Boos in your house.

Jak-25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1621 Jak-25
Member since 2007 • 2475 Posts

I can't wait to see more of Nintendo's next console! :D

AmayaPapaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#1622 AmayaPapaya
Member since 2008 • 9029 Posts

The last two is interesting take on AR games where you can use the controllers to have Boos in your house.

Nintendo_Ownes7

It's a little weird how the analog sticks are at the top and how the controller is on its side.

Avatar image for Nintendo_Ownes7
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#1623 Nintendo_Ownes7
Member since 2005 • 30973 Posts

[QUOTE="Nintendo_Ownes7"]

AmayaPapaya

It's a little weird how the analog sticks are at the top and how the controller is on its side.

It might not be that weird the only weird part I see that it is on its side.

If it is like a Dreamcast controller (Has handles like the Dreamcast Controller) then it could actually be comfortable playing with the Analog sticks at the top.

timmy00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1624 timmy00

[QUOTE="timmy00"]

[QUOTE="Scoob64"]

charizard1605

You should have read it by now! :evil:

I'm Sowwy! :cry:

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#1625 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

These glitches are getting dumber.

Sphenodonta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1626 Sphenodonta
Wait, what?
Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#1627 Cherokee_Jack
Member since 2008 • 32198 Posts
These glitches are getting dumber.mitu123
So I see!
blizzvalve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1628 blizzvalve

There have been many rumors about the Project Cafe controller and many different (sometimes rediculous) concepts for it. So out of boredom, I decided to create my own concept...using my horrid drawing skills (image is larger than original because of the scan).

Project Cafe Concept

With this concept, I tackled the following:

-Drawn to scale (not shown on screen, 6.2" screen with 3:2 ratio, not much bigger than a 360 controller besides the sides)
-360-styIe/Dualshock controller layout (with SNES-styIe buttons)
-Resistive touch screen (with stylus located on top)
-Streaming functionality (Menu layout similar to Wii, notifications bar, online service functionality, plays games on screen as well as other TVs (using mini-HDM port))
-Cameras (1.3 megapixels, front and back)
-Speakers (with volume control and headphone option)
-built-in mic (similar to DS, used for online play)
-mini-USB port for charging
-handles on the sides for comfort

Although some of these features may be wishful thinking, based on the rumors, I believe the Project Cafe controller will be similar (or at least ergonomically similar) to this design.

Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1629 Cherokee_Jack
Ohhhh God it's huge. Also, if it was resistive that would suck. It needs to be multitouch and capacitive.
blizzvalve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1630 blizzvalve

Ohhhh God it's huge. Also, if it was resistive that would suck. It needs to be multitouch and capacitive.Cherokee_Jack

Actually that's the resolution when I scanned it to my computer. It's not gonna be that huge. Like I said, when I drew it, it won't be much larger than a 360 controller.

Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1631 Cherokee_Jack

[QUOTE="Cherokee_Jack"]Ohhhh God it's huge. Also, if it was resistive that would suck. It needs to be multitouch and capacitive.blizzvalve

Actually that's the resolution when I scanned it to my computer. It's not gonna be that huge. Like I said, when I drew it, it won't be much larger than a 360 controller.

Ah, okay. I notice you said that now.

But yeah, thumbs are going to be the primary thing you're using on that touchscreen, not a stylus. Has to be roughly equivalent to an iOS device's screen or else it won't be used very well in most games.

blizzvalve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1632 blizzvalve

[QUOTE="blizzvalve"]

[QUOTE="Cherokee_Jack"]Ohhhh God it's huge. Also, if it was resistive that would suck. It needs to be multitouch and capacitive.Cherokee_Jack

Ah, okay. I notice you said that now.

But yeah, thumbs are going to be the primary thing you're using on that touchscreen, not a stylus. Has to be roughly equivalent to an iOS device's screen or else it won't be used very well in most games.

you can still use your thumbs for resistive touch screens. There isn't multitouch though (which i don't think would have much of an affect on the use of the touch screen). I play SSF4 on the 3DS using the touchscreen with my thumbs and I havent had any trouble with it. i think if Nintendo is going to use a capacitive touch screen it would be the main way to control the games (ie screen buttons).

Sphenodonta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1633 Sphenodonta
If the controller is close to your drawing, I may send you money... Correctly guessing Nintendo is an ability that should be awarded! (even if it isn't close, good job. I've been wanting to try and draw a concept for it, but you beat me to it...)
blizzvalve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1634 blizzvalve

If the controller is close to your drawing, I may send you money... Correctly guessing Nintendo is an ability that should be awarded! (even if it isn't close, good job. I've been wanting to try and draw a concept for it, but you beat me to it...)Sphenodonta

Most of the things on the controller (specifically the shape and button layout) is going by the rumors (eight buttons, uDraw-like design, etc.). Some of the things im just speculating on based on other rumors (mini-HDMI for streaming content from the controller). Unless the rumors are completely wrong (or if the Windows 7 box console and the Gamecube controller with a screen added turned out to be real) I would expect something along the lines of the above picture.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1635 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
If the controller is close to your drawing, I may send you money... Correctly guessing Nintendo is an ability that should be awarded! (even if it isn't close, good job. I've been wanting to try and draw a concept for it, but you beat me to it...)Sphenodonta
Heh, Nintendo is probably the single most unpredictable company in the world across any field.
Scoob64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1636 Scoob64

[QUOTE="Sphenodonta"]If the controller is close to your drawing, I may send you money... Correctly guessing Nintendo is an ability that should be awarded! (even if it isn't close, good job. I've been wanting to try and draw a concept for it, but you beat me to it...)charizard1605
Heh, Nintendo is probably the single most unpredictable company in the world across any field.

i agree, GameCube and Wii proved that.

PC_Otter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1637 PC_Otter
Member since 2010 • 1623 Posts

[QUOTE="charizard1605"][QUOTE="Sphenodonta"]If the controller is close to your drawing, I may send you money... Correctly guessing Nintendo is an ability that should be awarded! (even if it isn't close, good job. I've been wanting to try and draw a concept for it, but you beat me to it...)Scoob64

GC was unpredictable how? I'd say it was the most reasonably designed system of it's generation. Just under loved and utilized.
Sik_kid_pk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1638 Sik_kid_pk
Member since 2010 • 549 Posts
Why was this thread taken off of the stickies?
WreckEm711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1639 WreckEm711

Why was this thread taken off of the stickies?Sik_kid_pk

Not much discussion going on around it anymore since no new info is coming out, it'll pick up closer to E3

crippled_ram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1640 crippled_ram
Member since 2010 • 1583 Posts

[QUOTE="Sik_kid_pk"]Why was this thread taken off of the stickies?WreckEm711

Not much discussion going on around it anymore since no new info is coming out, it'll pick up closer to E3

I'm guessing that too. I can't wait to see what Nintendo has in store for us :D
thom_maytees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1641 thom_maytees
Member since 2010 • 3668 Posts

Nintendoeverything.com has posted more controller mock-ups.

crippled_ram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1642 crippled_ram
Member since 2010 • 1583 Posts

Nintendoeverything.com has posted more controller mock-ups.

thom_maytees

mockup

Best mockup I've seen yet. Only thing it lacks are the Start and Select buttons, but otherwise, this is perfect.

Scoob64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1643 Scoob64

[QUOTE="Scoob64"]

[QUOTE="charizard1605"] Heh, Nintendo is probably the single most unpredictable company in the world across any field.PC_Otter

GC was unpredictable how? I'd say it was the most reasonably designed system of it's generation. Just under loved and utilized.

the controller, the shape of the console, and the name... i don't think anyone predicted that from project dolphin.

ZIVX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#1644 ZIVX
Member since 2008 • 2981 Posts

[QUOTE="WreckEm711"]

[QUOTE="Sik_kid_pk"]Why was this thread taken off of the stickies?crippled_ram

I'm guessing that too. I can't wait to see what Nintendo has in store for us :D

When E3 comes it'll be restickied...I think

michael582

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1645 michael582
Member since 2003 • 1064 Posts

Nintendo's E3 2011 Preview

http://www.gametrailers.com/episode/bonusround/504?ch=1_hd

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#1646 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

So, can someone explain Nintendo's most probable strategy here? I mean... It's pretty vague, right?

I'm trying to figure them out a little. Let's think together?

Let's first be clear on this: No matter how powerful the console will be it will be overpowered by sony/ms next consoles. That seems one of the most certain points we can hold on to. So in that regard it's a little bit like a Wii 2 or a Dreamcast console.

In terms of power I see two options.
1: It will be vastly more powerful than 360/ps3. I doubt this because of their design philosophies. And also the risks involved. And the fact that they would be playing into sony/ms's hand more than necessary (they can sell at a loss, nintendo can't). But it has the advantage of perhaps setting the next 3rd party 'power' standard. In essence becoming the next multiplat console, that the 360 is in the current generation. Would 3rd party developers really develop for such a console with even higher dev costs and tiny install base? What would it have to offer to the consumer?
2: It will be somewhat alike a 360/ps3. Which sounds risky as well because we already have 2 consoles like that. Or 3 if you count the PC. And they are all outfitted with their own motion controllers by now. So what would it have to offer to the consumer?

For scenario 1 I can imagine that Nintendo is not going to appeal to 3rd party developers anymore. So, almost entirely first party games. I say this because with the Wii the 3rd party support has been more of an insult than anything else to nintendo, and the system shows that if they could make a bit more games they would be able to sustain a console on their own. I do not mean that they forbid 3rd party games, but that they do not attempt to appeal to them at all. They've not been very good at appealing to 3rd party developers anyway, in any of the generations past. And the 3rd party developers are unable to compete with nintendo, and are very frustrated by this, making all kinds of excuses.

Also I doubt that they are going to rely on the Wii as their casual frontline platform. Since 360/PS3 are slowly gaining grounds there. However they are also sneaking in the 3DS. Maybe the system will be for the core gamers and will at some point attempt to lure casuals in through the 3DS. I doubt that, but it's possible. So personally I think they'll go for scenario 2.

In both cases though I don't understand what it is going to offer to the consumer, or even what consumer they are aiming for. I am convinced casuals are willing to pay even 400 $/euro for a very powerful console IF it has something awesome that draws them in.

With a screen on the controller?
I don't think that is real. Even if the source would be Reggie, he would be lying. Because it would make the controllers super expensive and controllers were already expensive. I don't think that they would take many steps back from the wiimote design. Two of the advantages of the wiimote are one controller for each hand and the very succesful pointer, I think we will see at least one of those return.
What I think for now, is that they will implement a very unique online community system unlike xbox live or psn. I think that is where the real innovation will take place to draw people in.

In terms of medium, would Stream stand for a kind of onLive service? I don't think so :P although it's an interesting thought. With previous consoles we always had ideas that were way too wild. Every console takes years to build, and thus uses years old technology. And nintendo isn't keen on expecting everyone to have certain technology like online or HDtv available to them, let alone expecting people to all have high speed internet. They would love to use solid state/flash storage for games. Mainly because of load times. (Nintendo absolutely hates load times.) I think nintendo won't use normal DVD's. Maybe their own version of DVD's. I can't imagine them buying Blu rays, personally, when they invest a lot of money in researching new storage media.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1647 KungfuKitten

Don't stop posting because that last post was so long -_-
Just ignore it then.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1648 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Just ignore it then.

KungfuKitten

Lol, I liked your post, it was insightful

soulitane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1649 soulitane
Member since 2010 • 15091 Posts

Just ignore it then.

KungfuKitten

That will teach you to make a thought out post in SW :evil:

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1650 KungfuKitten

Maybe if the touchscreen only functions as buttons, without actually showing an image, would it be less expensive? Like the NGP backside touchscreen. Cause it is a very persistent rumour.

I just don't see N sell 120$ controllers. They are all about social gaming. You can't expect people to buy 4 120$ controllers >_>
And wouldn't a portable/controller completely undermine the 3DS? It's just too weird. I feel we're thinking about that screen thing in all the wrong ways.