the best developer of all time = Rare

• 76 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

drekula2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By drekula2
Member since 2012 • 3349 Posts

... before they joined Microsoft

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#2 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

Nah

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

Nope

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#4 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Based on what? Putting out the most amount of highly-rated games in the shortest amount of time?

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#5 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

Making games that were great on a single analog system, hooray.

Rare's as overrated as it comes

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61481 Posts

No.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#7  Edited By Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

Way to many developers that can be considered best of all time

• Nintendo
  • ND
  • Rocksteady
  • Bioware (before they made ME3 and Swtor)
  • Blizzard (before they sold their souls to Activision)
  • Konami
  • R*
  • From Software
  • Atlus
Avatar image for princessgomez92
PrincessGomez92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

User Lists: 5

#8 PrincessGomez92
Member since 2013 • 5747 Posts

Retro Studios.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#9 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

@princessgomez92 said:

Retro Studios.

@charizard1605 said:

Nah

@MonsieurX said:

Nope

@lundy86_4 said:

No.

applefan1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 applefan1991  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 3397 Posts

I like Naughty Dog, Bungie, Rockstar and Nintendo

wiifan001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#11 wiifan001
Member since 2007 • 18660 Posts

I disagree, though Rare and Nintendo define the n64.

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

@drekula2 said:

LOL!! No.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#13 deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

For me its Rockstar

They deserve their name

PsychoLemons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 PsychoLemons
Member since 2011 • 3183 Posts

Temporarily.

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

Naughty Dog say hello. Woof Woof!

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22375 Posts

@Vatusus said:

For me its Rockstar

They deserve their name

They're definitely up there for me... as well as Naughty Dog, Valve & Bioware.

I_can_haz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By I_can_haz
Member since 2013 • 6511 Posts

No.

IMAHAPYHIPPO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 IMAHAPYHIPPO
Member since 2004 • 4196 Posts

Rare released an AAA title twice a year in the N64 era, and they were responsible for a bunch of high quality SNES games. Also, no single developer makes platformers, shooters, action games, racing games, etc. anymore.

Sadly we'll never know their true potential as a modern developer as Microsoft drove all the main talent away.

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

#20 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

ya they used to be good , but still nintendo owned them so hats to nintendo on that one , without nintendo rares nothing , its proven today by what they put out now,

,mean while nintendo still puts out the good guns , most of their titles have been top notch , , hate wiiu all you want but theres no denying by the time the dust settles wiiu will be home to awsome classics much like the gamecube n64 snes nes and wii and they still have the 3ds , so being 3 and 3 in the home console market isnt bad at all but 0 for 3 lol ha you know who that goes to microsoft- and they have a shot at tying sega if they go 9th gen 0 and 4 lol

Solid_Max13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Solid_Max13
Member since 2006 • 3596 Posts

Yea they were good now their just a joke for MS to use, but there's better now Rockstar, Naughty Dog, Square Enix, MediaMolecule.

crazycalf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 crazycalf
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

Naughty Dog, Bethesda, Platinum Games, FROM Software, R*, Nintendo, Japan Studio>>>>>>>>>>Rare

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#23 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21701 Posts

The only rareware game I legitimately liked was perfect dark, so I'm going to give that a big fat no.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#24 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19544 Posts

Rare were only great around 1994-2000. To be an "all time" candidate, you need to be consistently great over many generations, and it seems only Nintendo really fits that bill.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#25 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

Nah, i doubt it, there are lots of awesome studios. And you can't say a studio that once was is the greatest, when the current state of things is sad at best for that developer

inb4uall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#26 inb4uall
Member since 2012 • 6564 Posts

@Ballroompirate said:

Way to many developers that can be considered best of all time

• Nintendo
  • ND
  • Rocksteady
  • Bioware (before they made ME3 and Swtor)
  • Blizzard (before they sold their souls to Activision)
  • Konami
  • R*
  • From Software
  • Atlus

most of those are at least reasonable. Blizzard is not.

inb4uall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 inb4uall
Member since 2012 • 6564 Posts

@Solid_Max13 said:

Yea they were good now their just a joke for MS to use, but there's better now Rockstar, Naughty Dog, Square Enix, MediaMolecule.

Square enix. LOL. Because they deserve a title like greatest dev of all time after what they did to final fantasy.

Solid_Max13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Solid_Max13
Member since 2006 • 3596 Posts

@inb4uall said:

@Solid_Max13 said:

Square enix. LOL. Because they deserve a title like greatest dev of all time after what they did to final fantasy.

I still think their good devs despite what Final Fantasy stories have become, gameplay is always good and fluid, and they also have Kingdom Hearts, Bravely Default, The World Ends With You, Tomb Raider, Deus Ex, Thief, Dragon Quest, Sleeping Dogs, Star Ocean, They do more than just Final Fantasy and are still top tier devs despite what your opinion is of Final Fantasy

VendettaRed07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By VendettaRed07
Member since 2007 • 14012 Posts

Overall? No. Not even close.

HOWEVER. I will say this. The stretch from 1994-2001, is one of the single greatest runs any developer in history has ever been on. Because of not just the quality of games they released during that time. But the quantity of great exclusive games was simply unreal and something we will most likely never see again.

I don't know the numbers on here, but on IGN, I think for the N64 alone, Rare gave Nintendo 7 or 8 AAAe's and AAes. No single development studio will EVER do that again.. ever. Not even on 9gn. We can argue the validity of the scores now, or how some of those games have aged.. but at the time of the release those games were some of the best in the industry. They spawned so many industry icons during that time. They made Donkey Kong into who he is today. Changed console multiplayer with Goldeneye.. Outdid Mario with Banjo.. and other classics like Conker. Those are just the big titles. They also gave some nice games for nintendo fans to play during some dead periods like KI:Gold, Diddy Kong Racing, Blast Corps, Jet Force Gemini.. I could go on..

Nintendo should forever regret not purchasing them. It should always haunt them. Someone like Rare is everything Nintendo is missing now. A developer that was every bit as consistent as them, but provided many games that were in stark contrast to their own.. changing the identity of what it meant to be a "Nintendo" console, or a "Nintendo" game. Opened the N64 to a much more grown up market, while also appealing to kids as well.

People who say retro have replaced them have no idea the kind of impact they had.

Retro makes one game every three years. Rare made three games every single year. Some times more.

Pffrbt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Pffrbt
Member since 2010 • 6612 Posts

Rare has only made one good game. Banjo-Kazooie. Everything else is either mediocre or aggressively awful.

Pffrbt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Pffrbt

Rare has only made one good game. Banjo-Kazooie. Everything else is either mediocre or aggressively awful.

@inb4uall said:

@Solid_Max13 said:

The Final Fantasy 13 series is pretty decent.

bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#32 bbkkristian
Member since 2008 • 14971 Posts

Gotta go with the technical geniuses who helped on many Nintendo projects including SSBB, Animal Crossing New Leaf, and Project X Zone: Monolith Soft! The true best developer, the talented ones who broke away from Squaresoft.

treedoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 treedoor
Member since 2004 • 7648 Posts

Rareware did make some good games back then. DKC1, 2, and 3, as well as Banjo Kazooie, Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, and Diddy Kong Racing.

However, Banjo Tooie, DK64, Jet Force Gemini, and Conker's Bad Fur Day are overrated. Conker, however, is funny enough to be worth playing through despite the gameplay not being so great.

It's a shame that half their dev team left near the end of their Nintendo era to go form Free Radical. Nintendo must not have treated them too well. They never recovered after that point, and when the founders retired from Rare in 2007 that was the final nail in the coffin.

IMAHAPYHIPPO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 IMAHAPYHIPPO

@treedoor said:

Rareware did make some good games back then. DKC1, 2, and 3, as well as Banjo Kazooie, Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, and Diddy Kong Racing.

However, Banjo Tooie, DK64, Jet Force Gemini, and Conker's Bad Fur Day are overrated. Conker, however, is funny enough to be worth playing through despite the gameplay not being so great.

It's a shame that half their dev team left near the end of their Nintendo era to go form Free Radical. Nintendo must not have treated them too well. They never recovered after that point, and when the founders retired from Rare in 2007 that was the final nail in the coffin.

I think Conker was a product of devlopers outgrowing the hardware. A lot of Conker's Bad Fur Day is a game designed around a controller with full 3d movement, where Nintendo 64 only had an aging 8-dimensial stick. As a game, it's one of the absolute best -- in my own opinion of course -- and the Xbox solved most of the gameplay problems.

sailor232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 sailor232
Member since 2003 • 6880 Posts

@VendettaRed07 said:

Overall? No. Not even close.

HOWEVER. I will say this. The stretch from 1994-2001, is one of the single greatest runs any developer in history has ever been on. Because of not just the quality of games they released during that time. But the quantity of great exclusive games was simply unreal and something we will most likely never see again.

I don't know the numbers on here, but on IGN, I think for the N64 alone, Rare gave Nintendo 7 or 8 AAAe's and AAes. No single development studio will EVER do that again.. ever. Not even on 9gn. We can argue the validity of the scores now, or how some of those games have aged.. but at the time of the release those games were some of the best in the industry. They spawned so many industry icons during that time. They made Donkey Kong into who he is today. Changed console multiplayer with Goldeneye.. Outdid Mario with Banjo.. and other classics like Conker. Those are just the big titles. They also gave some nice games for nintendo fans to play during some dead periods like KI:Gold, Diddy Kong Racing, Blast Corps, Jet Force Gemini.. I could go on..

Nintendo should forever regret not purchasing them. It should always haunt them. Someone like Rare is everything Nintendo is missing now. A developer that was every bit as consistent as them, but provided many games that were in stark contrast to their own.. changing the identity of what it meant to be a "Nintendo" console, or a "Nintendo" game. Opened the N64 to a much more grown up market, while also appealing to kids as well.

People who say retro have replaced them have no idea the kind of impact they had.

Retro makes one game every three years. Rare made three games every single year. Some times more.

This, it was instant pre-order when it came to any Rareware game, I loved them all, especially Blast Corps. I would rank them as the greatest of all time if they managed to stay with Nintendo and continue to pump out amazing titles. That was an era I'll never forget.

delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By delta3074
Member since 2007 • 20003 Posts

@drekula2 said:

Another idiot who doesn't know his history, the best programmers from RARE left and formed Free radical a LONG time before MS bough them out.

The TRUTH is that Rare had already lost there best talent before MS aquired them.

steamistrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 steamistrash
Member since 2014 • 431 Posts

idsoftware merging with bethseda is one of the worst things ever.

IMAHAPYHIPPO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 IMAHAPYHIPPO

@Blabadon said:

I'm incredibly confused about how you feel about Nintendo. I'd be very curious to hear your thoughts on the subject.

inggrish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#39 inggrish
Member since 2005 • 10502 Posts

@IMAHAPYHIPPO said:

@Blabadon said:

I'm incredibly confused about how you feel about Nintendo. I'd be very curious to hear your thoughts on the subject.

He probably doesn't fully know how he feels about Nintendo :P

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13664 Posts

@treedoor said:

Yeah I wasn't too impressed with those two.

Too true, but if people want to blame MS, fine, I'm tired of it now. But those people need to answer why their GC game was shit too.

Truth is, Nintendo never appreciated or took care of them. Nintendo were jealous Rare made games that bettered their own in some cases, so they treated them bad.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46283 Posts

@Pffrbt said:

@Pffrbt said:

You are a funny guy

Pffrbt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Pffrbt

@R4gn4r0k said:

@Pffrbt said:

@Pffrbt said:

You are a funny guy

Why.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46283 Posts

@Pffrbt said:

@R4gn4r0k said:

@Pffrbt said:

@Pffrbt said:

You are a funny guy

Why.

Because your taste in video games is funny

lglz1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 lglz1337
Member since 2013 • 4959 Posts

i was in shock, but after reading the thread it makes sense

CTR360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#45 CTR360
Member since 2007 • 9150 Posts

1 ND 2 rockstar north 3 konami 4 capcom 5 from software 6 polyphony 7 ubisoft 8 nintendo 9 sega 10 bethesda

Pffrbt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Pffrbt

@R4gn4r0k said:

@Pffrbt said:

@R4gn4r0k said:

@Pffrbt said:

@Pffrbt said:

You are a funny guy

Why.

Because your taste in video games is funny

No it's not.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#47 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

no way man

Gargus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Gargus
Member since 2006 • 2147 Posts

@drekula2 said:

RoccoHout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 RoccoHout
Member since 2011 • 1086 Posts

They were quite a beast in the 90's, but even then they were not the best developer. To me Westwood Studios was the best in the 90's, and early 00's. Could say Rare way my favorite Nintendo developer

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts

what ever dev team miyamoto runs is the best developer of all time. hell he owns like at least 3 or 4 of the top 10 games of all time.