the best developer of all time = Rare

• 76 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by drekula2 (3349 posts) -

... before they joined Microsoft

#2 Posted by charizard1605 (82661 posts) -

Nah

#3 Posted by MonsieurX (36888 posts) -

Nope

#4 Posted by foxhound_fox (96795 posts) -

Based on what? Putting out the most amount of highly-rated games in the shortest amount of time?

#5 Posted by Blabadon (33030 posts) -

Making games that were great on a single analog system, hooray.

Rare's as overrated as it comes

#6 Posted by lundy86_4 (48650 posts) -

No.

#7 Edited by Ballroompirate (25898 posts) -

Way to many developers that can be considered best of all time

• Nintendo
  • ND
  • Rocksteady
  • Bioware (before they made ME3 and Swtor)
  • Blizzard (before they sold their souls to Activision)
  • Konami
  • R*
  • From Software
  • Atlus
Avatar image for princessgomez92
#8 Posted by PrincessGomez92 (5076 posts) -

Retro Studios.

#9 Posted by charizard1605 (82661 posts) -

@princessgomez92 said:

Retro Studios.

@charizard1605 said:

Nah

@MonsieurX said:

Nope

@lundy86_4 said:

No.

#10 Posted by applefan1991 (3388 posts) -

I like Naughty Dog, Bungie, Rockstar and Nintendo

#11 Posted by wiifan001 (18653 posts) -

I disagree, though Rare and Nintendo define the n64.

#12 Posted by blackace (23576 posts) -

@drekula2 said:

LOL!! No.

#13 Posted by Vatusus (8123 posts) -

For me its Rockstar

They deserve their name

#14 Posted by PsychoLemons (3166 posts) -

Temporarily.

#15 Edited by BattleSpectre (7989 posts) -

Naughty Dog say hello. Woof Woof!

#17 Posted by hrt_rulz01 (14784 posts) -

@Vatusus said:

For me its Rockstar

They deserve their name

They're definitely up there for me... as well as Naughty Dog, Valve & Bioware.

#18 Edited by I_can_haz (6511 posts) -

No.

#19 Posted by IMAHAPYHIPPO (3151 posts) -

Rare released an AAA title twice a year in the N64 era, and they were responsible for a bunch of high quality SNES games. Also, no single developer makes platformers, shooters, action games, racing games, etc. anymore.

Sadly we'll never know their true potential as a modern developer as Microsoft drove all the main talent away.

#20 Posted by mariokart64fan (20576 posts) -

ya they used to be good , but still nintendo owned them so hats to nintendo on that one , without nintendo rares nothing , its proven today by what they put out now,

,mean while nintendo still puts out the good guns , most of their titles have been top notch , , hate wiiu all you want but theres no denying by the time the dust settles wiiu will be home to awsome classics much like the gamecube n64 snes nes and wii and they still have the 3ds , so being 3 and 3 in the home console market isnt bad at all but 0 for 3 lol ha you know who that goes to microsoft- and they have a shot at tying sega if they go 9th gen 0 and 4 lol

#21 Posted by Solid_Max13 (3588 posts) -

Yea they were good now their just a joke for MS to use, but there's better now Rockstar, Naughty Dog, Square Enix, MediaMolecule.

#22 Posted by crazycalf (25 posts) -

Naughty Dog, Bethesda, Platinum Games, FROM Software, R*, Nintendo, Japan Studio>>>>>>>>>>Rare

#23 Posted by Renegade_Fury (19677 posts) -

The only rareware game I legitimately liked was perfect dark, so I'm going to give that a big fat no.

#24 Posted by Jag85 (10980 posts) -

Rare were only great around 1994-2000. To be an "all time" candidate, you need to be consistently great over many generations, and it seems only Nintendo really fits that bill.

#25 Posted by The_Last_Ride (76371 posts) -

Nah, i doubt it, there are lots of awesome studios. And you can't say a studio that once was is the greatest, when the current state of things is sad at best for that developer

#26 Posted by inb4uall (6564 posts) -

@Ballroompirate said:

Way to many developers that can be considered best of all time

• Nintendo
  • ND
  • Rocksteady
  • Bioware (before they made ME3 and Swtor)
  • Blizzard (before they sold their souls to Activision)
  • Konami
  • R*
  • From Software
  • Atlus

most of those are at least reasonable. Blizzard is not.

#27 Posted by inb4uall (6564 posts) -

@Solid_Max13 said:

Yea they were good now their just a joke for MS to use, but there's better now Rockstar, Naughty Dog, Square Enix, MediaMolecule.

Square enix. LOL. Because they deserve a title like greatest dev of all time after what they did to final fantasy.

#28 Posted by Solid_Max13 (3588 posts) -

@inb4uall said:

@Solid_Max13 said:

Square enix. LOL. Because they deserve a title like greatest dev of all time after what they did to final fantasy.

I still think their good devs despite what Final Fantasy stories have become, gameplay is always good and fluid, and they also have Kingdom Hearts, Bravely Default, The World Ends With You, Tomb Raider, Deus Ex, Thief, Dragon Quest, Sleeping Dogs, Star Ocean, They do more than just Final Fantasy and are still top tier devs despite what your opinion is of Final Fantasy

#29 Edited by VendettaRed07 (14012 posts) -

Overall? No. Not even close.

HOWEVER. I will say this. The stretch from 1994-2001, is one of the single greatest runs any developer in history has ever been on. Because of not just the quality of games they released during that time. But the quantity of great exclusive games was simply unreal and something we will most likely never see again.

I don't know the numbers on here, but on IGN, I think for the N64 alone, Rare gave Nintendo 7 or 8 AAAe's and AAes. No single development studio will EVER do that again.. ever. Not even on 9gn. We can argue the validity of the scores now, or how some of those games have aged.. but at the time of the release those games were some of the best in the industry. They spawned so many industry icons during that time. They made Donkey Kong into who he is today. Changed console multiplayer with Goldeneye.. Outdid Mario with Banjo.. and other classics like Conker. Those are just the big titles. They also gave some nice games for nintendo fans to play during some dead periods like KI:Gold, Diddy Kong Racing, Blast Corps, Jet Force Gemini.. I could go on..

Nintendo should forever regret not purchasing them. It should always haunt them. Someone like Rare is everything Nintendo is missing now. A developer that was every bit as consistent as them, but provided many games that were in stark contrast to their own.. changing the identity of what it meant to be a "Nintendo" console, or a "Nintendo" game. Opened the N64 to a much more grown up market, while also appealing to kids as well.

People who say retro have replaced them have no idea the kind of impact they had.

Retro makes one game every three years. Rare made three games every single year. Some times more.

#30 Posted by Pffrbt (6612 posts) -

Rare has only made one good game. Banjo-Kazooie. Everything else is either mediocre or aggressively awful.

#31 Edited by Pffrbt (6612 posts) -

Rare has only made one good game. Banjo-Kazooie. Everything else is either mediocre or aggressively awful.

@inb4uall said:

@Solid_Max13 said:

The Final Fantasy 13 series is pretty decent.

#32 Posted by bbkkristian (14971 posts) -

Gotta go with the technical geniuses who helped on many Nintendo projects including SSBB, Animal Crossing New Leaf, and Project X Zone: Monolith Soft! The true best developer, the talented ones who broke away from Squaresoft.

#33 Posted by treedoor (7648 posts) -

Rareware did make some good games back then. DKC1, 2, and 3, as well as Banjo Kazooie, Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, and Diddy Kong Racing.

However, Banjo Tooie, DK64, Jet Force Gemini, and Conker's Bad Fur Day are overrated. Conker, however, is funny enough to be worth playing through despite the gameplay not being so great.

It's a shame that half their dev team left near the end of their Nintendo era to go form Free Radical. Nintendo must not have treated them too well. They never recovered after that point, and when the founders retired from Rare in 2007 that was the final nail in the coffin.

#34 Posted by IMAHAPYHIPPO (3151 posts) -

@treedoor said:

Rareware did make some good games back then. DKC1, 2, and 3, as well as Banjo Kazooie, Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, and Diddy Kong Racing.

However, Banjo Tooie, DK64, Jet Force Gemini, and Conker's Bad Fur Day are overrated. Conker, however, is funny enough to be worth playing through despite the gameplay not being so great.

It's a shame that half their dev team left near the end of their Nintendo era to go form Free Radical. Nintendo must not have treated them too well. They never recovered after that point, and when the founders retired from Rare in 2007 that was the final nail in the coffin.

I think Conker was a product of devlopers outgrowing the hardware. A lot of Conker's Bad Fur Day is a game designed around a controller with full 3d movement, where Nintendo 64 only had an aging 8-dimensial stick. As a game, it's one of the absolute best -- in my own opinion of course -- and the Xbox solved most of the gameplay problems.

#35 Posted by sailor232 (6760 posts) -

@VendettaRed07 said:

Overall? No. Not even close.

HOWEVER. I will say this. The stretch from 1994-2001, is one of the single greatest runs any developer in history has ever been on. Because of not just the quality of games they released during that time. But the quantity of great exclusive games was simply unreal and something we will most likely never see again.

I don't know the numbers on here, but on IGN, I think for the N64 alone, Rare gave Nintendo 7 or 8 AAAe's and AAes. No single development studio will EVER do that again.. ever. Not even on 9gn. We can argue the validity of the scores now, or how some of those games have aged.. but at the time of the release those games were some of the best in the industry. They spawned so many industry icons during that time. They made Donkey Kong into who he is today. Changed console multiplayer with Goldeneye.. Outdid Mario with Banjo.. and other classics like Conker. Those are just the big titles. They also gave some nice games for nintendo fans to play during some dead periods like KI:Gold, Diddy Kong Racing, Blast Corps, Jet Force Gemini.. I could go on..

Nintendo should forever regret not purchasing them. It should always haunt them. Someone like Rare is everything Nintendo is missing now. A developer that was every bit as consistent as them, but provided many games that were in stark contrast to their own.. changing the identity of what it meant to be a "Nintendo" console, or a "Nintendo" game. Opened the N64 to a much more grown up market, while also appealing to kids as well.

People who say retro have replaced them have no idea the kind of impact they had.

Retro makes one game every three years. Rare made three games every single year. Some times more.

This, it was instant pre-order when it came to any Rareware game, I loved them all, especially Blast Corps. I would rank them as the greatest of all time if they managed to stay with Nintendo and continue to pump out amazing titles. That was an era I'll never forget.

#36 Edited by delta3074 (19951 posts) -

@drekula2 said:

Another idiot who doesn't know his history, the best programmers from RARE left and formed Free radical a LONG time before MS bough them out.

The TRUTH is that Rare had already lost there best talent before MS aquired them.

#37 Posted by steamistrash (431 posts) -

idsoftware merging with bethseda is one of the worst things ever.

#38 Posted by IMAHAPYHIPPO (3151 posts) -

@Blabadon said:

I'm incredibly confused about how you feel about Nintendo. I'd be very curious to hear your thoughts on the subject.

#39 Posted by _Matt_ (10438 posts) -

@IMAHAPYHIPPO said:

@Blabadon said:

I'm incredibly confused about how you feel about Nintendo. I'd be very curious to hear your thoughts on the subject.

He probably doesn't fully know how he feels about Nintendo :P

#40 Posted by HalcyonScarlet (7979 posts) -

@treedoor said:

Yeah I wasn't too impressed with those two.

Too true, but if people want to blame MS, fine, I'm tired of it now. But those people need to answer why their GC game was shit too.

Truth is, Nintendo never appreciated or took care of them. Nintendo were jealous Rare made games that bettered their own in some cases, so they treated them bad.

#41 Posted by R4gn4r0k (27104 posts) -

@Pffrbt said:

@Pffrbt said:

You are a funny guy

#42 Edited by Pffrbt (6612 posts) -

@R4gn4r0k said:

@Pffrbt said:

@Pffrbt said:

You are a funny guy

Why.

#43 Posted by R4gn4r0k (27104 posts) -

@Pffrbt said:

@R4gn4r0k said:

@Pffrbt said:

@Pffrbt said:

You are a funny guy

Why.

Because your taste in video games is funny

#44 Posted by lglz1337 (4942 posts) -

i was in shock, but after reading the thread it makes sense

#45 Posted by CTR360 (8449 posts) -

1 ND 2 rockstar north 3 konami 4 capcom 5 from software 6 polyphony 7 ubisoft 8 nintendo 9 sega 10 bethesda

#46 Edited by Pffrbt (6612 posts) -

@R4gn4r0k said:

@Pffrbt said:

@R4gn4r0k said:

@Pffrbt said:

@Pffrbt said:

You are a funny guy

Why.

Because your taste in video games is funny

No it's not.

#47 Posted by sukraj (27297 posts) -

no way man

#48 Posted by Gargus (2147 posts) -

@drekula2 said:

#49 Posted by RoccoHout (1075 posts) -

They were quite a beast in the 90's, but even then they were not the best developer. To me Westwood Studios was the best in the 90's, and early 00's. Could say Rare way my favorite Nintendo developer

#50 Posted by jsmoke03 (13696 posts) -

what ever dev team miyamoto runs is the best developer of all time. hell he owns like at least 3 or 4 of the top 10 games of all time.