Tech Analysis: Watch Dogs on PlayStation 4

This topic is locked from further discussion.

RR360DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#51 RR360DD
Member since 2011 • 14099 Posts

PC becoming more and more irrelevant

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

[QUOTE="NFJSupreme"]

[QUOTE="Pray_to_me"]

PC looks better but what kind of PC? A PC where the graphics card alone costs double the price of a PS4? Not really worth it. 

Pray_to_me

It was running on a 680 which you can get for around $400.  Or you could get a 7970 which costs less and has similar performance.  Or if you are a smart you can get a 670 and over clock it for 350 or so.  And if you are pro you could just get a 7950 for sub 300 and overclock the hell out of it.  Or you could get the new 760 or 770.  None of these cards are over $400.  Some as low as $250 or less depending on what sale is going on.

Aaaaand then you can go ahead and buy a new card when next gen really hits its stride and we're not playing PS360 ports such as watch dogs. Gonna need to upgrade your CPU which means new mobo, new OS or if you have a licence you still need to reinstall all your shit should take you a day not including reasearching parts, waiting for them to ship, building the shit. And then still you'll still be stuck playing X-Box one ports and maybe one or two Kickstarter funded exclusives that may or may not ever release.  

Ooooor just get a PS4, all these mutiplats and real actual exclusives not crowd funded pipe dreams. 400 bucks and set for 5-10 years. Boom, Done, Easy. 

And nothing of value was lost. Who said I'm going to need a new CPU or mobo? I'm still running my 2600K at stock so I've got plenty of room to grow and when the time does come to upgrade which will be in 3 years or so then it will be money well spent as I've had my 2600K since 2010. Not going to need a new OS till MS stops supporting Win7 and reinstalling an OS takes half an hour at best so cry moar.
NFJSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#53 NFJSupreme
Member since 2005 • 6605 Posts

[QUOTE="NFJSupreme"]

[QUOTE="Pray_to_me"]

PC looks better but what kind of PC? A PC where the graphics card alone costs double the price of a PS4? Not really worth it. 

Pray_to_me

It was running on a 680 which you can get for around $400.  Or you could get a 7970 which costs less and has similar performance.  Or if you are a smart you can get a 670 and over clock it for 350 or so.  And if you are pro you could just get a 7950 for sub 300 and overclock the hell out of it.  Or you could get the new 760 or 770.  None of these cards are over $400.  Some as low as $250 or less depending on what sale is going on.

Aaaaand then you can go ahead and buy a new card when next gen really hits its stride and we're not playing PS360 ports such as watch dogs. Gonna need to upgrade your CPU which means new mobo, new OS or if you have a licence you still need to reinstall all your shit should take you a day not including reasearching parts, waiting for them to ship, building the shit. And then still you'll still be stuck playing X-Box one ports and maybe one or two Kickstarter funded exclusives that may or may not ever release.  

Ooooor just get a PS4, all these mutiplats and real actual exclusives not crowd funded pipe dreams. 400 bucks and set for 5-10 years. Boom, Done, Easy. 

If you do it right you wont need to upgrade for the entire console generation if you don't want to.  I'm not trying to turn this into a PC vs console thread but it seems like everyone else is.  You asked a question I gave you an answer.   Come to whatever conclusions make sense for you.

But let me just point out that 10 years of PS+ is $500 so it's actually $900 to play your console.   Add in $60 games. $50 for that second controller.  If you are talking costs console gaming cost just as much when its all said and done.  But again this ain about console vs PC.  You asked how much the card was to run that and I gave you an answer.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46524 Posts

If you do it right you wont need to upgrade for the entire console generation if you don't want to.  I'm not trying to turn this into a PC vs console thread but it seems like everyone else is.  You asked a question I gave you an answer.   Come to whatever conclusions make sense for you.

But let me just point out that 10 years of PS+ is $500 so it's actually $900 to play your console.   Add in $60 games. $50 for that second controller.  If you are talking costs console gaming cost just as much when its all said and done.  But again this ain about console vs PC.  You asked how much the card was to run that and I gave you an answer.

NFJSupreme

I love how console gamers keep mentioning soley the base price of a console. That doesn't get you very far: They keep forgetting you need to pay for online, that you pay more for every game and pay a lot for accessoires too.

Comparing the price of a video card to a console is like comparing apples and oranges.

faizan_faizan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 faizan_faizan
Member since 2009 • 7869 Posts
[QUOTE="faizan_faizan"][QUOTE="Whiteknight19"]

The start of the video was old build from the pc its clearly says and seems that the pc and ps4 and pretty much identical very identical and all that was difference is pc using Nvidia TXAA why ps4 was using AA post processing o and the blur is a lil less on the ps4.. Other then that its pretty much the same draw distance The graphics the lighting the npcs there both the same

clyde46
Did Ubi had a partnership with Nvidia? It seems as if almost every Ubi game is featuring Nvidia exclusive features, with Assassin's Creed 3, Assassin's Creed IV, Watch Dogs, Blacklist supporting TXAA. Not sure why Far Cry 3 did not. Was it developed by a different studio?

Pretty sure FC3 was part of AMD's Never Settle bundle.

It was a part of that. It's all confusing.
UNcartMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 UNcartMe
Member since 2011 • 725 Posts

[QUOTE="ImBatman-"]

PC>PS4>Xbone in terms of multiplats this gen.

muffin200

In other breaking news water is wet.

too bad playing on a pc is boring and a hassle
UNcartMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 UNcartMe
Member since 2011 • 725 Posts
[QUOTE="moistsandwich"]

[QUOTE="uninspiredcup"]

Agreed. The gap is huge. At this point. we might as well already declair the pc a generation ahead.

gpuking

Yeah... thats why I had to keep looking to the top left corner of my screen to see if it was PC or PS4 version... such a big difference :roll:

Consoles tend to hold their own against PC visuals for a year or 2 into their life cycle, with only small advantages on the PC side... for most people anyway.

My GTX 660TI, i7 @ 3.05Ghz & 12 GB of 1600Mhz RAM is going to have a hard time running Watch Dogs at 1080p at a solid framerate I'm afraid. I'm still undetermined as to whether opt for PS4 or PC version.

I really don't want to upgrade my PC again for another 2 years.

Don't mind that troll, he doesn't know what he's talking about 99% of time.

lol pc gaming
clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 clyde46
[QUOTE="muffin200"]

[QUOTE="ImBatman-"]

UNcartMe

In other breaking news water is wet.

too bad playing on a pc is boring and a hassle

Too bad you're a shitty troll.
PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#59 PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30574 Posts

ImBatman-

Yep, this seems about right.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts
Its great to hear something such as "impressive draw distance with close to no popups" on ps4 but the basic AA used is just annoying to hear. Why can't they make some kind of exclusive AA for consoles that doesn't look like crap? I want some kind of TXAA!
tagyhag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 tagyhag
Member since 2007 • 15874 Posts
And here some consolites thought PS4 multiplats were gonna look and run better than high-end PC's. Derp.
Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#62 ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

[QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

PS4 still looks good but there is a smoothness and depth to the PC version. The lighting and shadows play a big part in that

uninspiredcup

Agreed. The gap is huge. At this point. we might as well already declair the pc a generation ahead.

I wouldn't say the gap is huge at all.

Cuby_Finest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 Cuby_Finest
Member since 2005 • 1129 Posts

And here some consolites thought PS4 multiplats were gonna look and run better than high-end PC's. Derp.tagyhag

did you just pull that out of your ass

dream431ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 dream431ca
Member since 2003 • 10165 Posts

PC once again trumps consoles. Surprise, Surprise. 

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 clyde46

[QUOTE="tagyhag"]And here some consolites thought PS4 multiplats were gonna look and run better than high-end PC's. Derp.Cuby_Finest

did you just pull that out of your ass

Where else do the consolites get their facts?
Avatar image for call_of_duty_10
call_of_duty_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 call_of_duty_10
Member since 2009 • 4954 Posts
[QUOTE="tagyhag"]And here some consolites thought PS4 multiplats were gonna look and run better than high-end PC's. Derp.

They won't look better,obviously,but they may look almost identical to max settings minus aa,af,res for the first two years,at least. This video shouldn't be taken seriously,though. Remember that far cry 3 gameplay video from e3?PC version definitely didn't look like that. Ubisoft is notorious for showing bullvideos in presentations.
faizan_faizan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 faizan_faizan
[QUOTE="call_of_duty_10"][QUOTE="tagyhag"]And here some consolites thought PS4 multiplats were gonna look and run better than high-end PC's. Derp.

They won't look better,obviously,but they may look almost identical to max settings minus aa,af,res for the first two years,at least. This video shouldn't be taken seriously,though. Remember that far cry 3 gameplay video from e3?PC version definitely didn't look like that. Ubisoft is notorious for showing bullvideos in presentations.

Again, this has been discussed to death, this gen is not the same as the former one.
Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

No need to show the xbox1 version, it's already been confirmed to be better than the PS4 version thanks to the cloud! 

Far_RockNYC

dark_sorcerer1_bqeuhgu0kou.gif

I'm going to enjoy the one-liners and comic relief from the lemmings this generation.

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#69 ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

[QUOTE="Far_RockNYC"]

No need to show the xbox1 version, it's already been confirmed to be better than the PS4 version thanks to the cloud!

Shewgenja

I'm going to enjoy the one-liners and comic relief from the lemmings this generation.

Satan reminds me of Conan so much.

faizan_faizan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 faizan_faizan

[QUOTE="Far_RockNYC"]

Shewgenja

Where's the gameplay?
Avatar image for call_of_duty_10
call_of_duty_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 call_of_duty_10
Member since 2009 • 4954 Posts

[QUOTE="call_of_duty_10"][QUOTE="tagyhag"]And here some consolites thought PS4 multiplats were gonna look and run better than high-end PC's. Derp.faizan_faizan

Again, this has been discussed to death, this gen is not the same as the former one.

If you look at hardware,there is indeed a significant difference in the power of high end GPUs and the one in ps4.

Thing is,power is only one factor to consider;And it isn't the most important one,either.

What matters the most is publishers'/developers' attitude.If they think that investing more money in the PC version will positively affect the sales from the platform,we will definitely see some extra features in PC versions soon after next gen begins.

But we cannot take a peek at their thought processes,so for now,nothing is definite...Which is why I said , "they may look almost identical".

new_gamer244

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 new_gamer244
Member since 2011 • 338 Posts

Still look good for a lunch game on ps4.

but it's funny to think that in 2015 the gpu's on pc will be like 16 TFLops.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#73 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59240 Posts

[QUOTE="Far_RockNYC"]

Shewgenja

David Cage makes cutscenes, not games.

ManatuBeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 ManatuBeard
Member since 2012 • 1121 Posts

[QUOTE="Shewgenja"]

[QUOTE="Far_RockNYC"]

uninspiredcup

Cutscenes running on real time using only 4gb mem, variable framerate between 30-90 (non-optimized) and made using ps3 tools.

F*CKING AWESOME CUTSCENES!

Where are your tech demos lems?

Doesnt MS invest in tech demos so player can know what to expect in the future? sad...

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#75 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

The thing is, often the early PC builds are running on ridiculous specs with tech that is only stable on a very small set of equipment. Most of the really advanced stuff doesn't make it through the optimization stages of development on the PC and is scrapped. 

This happened with Battlefield 3. The original demos showed better lighting, textures, and more effects. They removed some probably during optimization.

Early gameplay videos are rarely what you want to go off of. Devs are trying to make it look as good as possible. When it hits the mass market and thousands of potential configurations of hardware on the PC, they often do a "best fit" scenario and lower the amount of effects or even change the algorithms to run better thus decreasing overall quality. This is common because it's MUCH more important to have stable graphic settings on machines with compareable power (AMD vs Intel, AMD vs. Nvidia).

So bascially if you have 2 computers with different parts but similar power, they should run the same. One shouldn't run way better than the other becuase you used some graphic rendering technique that works better on one or the other.

Wickerman777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 Wickerman777
Member since 2013 • 2164 Posts

ImBatman-

Shouldn't phrase it like that. Most PCs are not more powerful than PS4 or Xbox One. Should say: Tiny percentage of PCs>PS4>Xbox One.

dream431ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 dream431ca

[QUOTE="ImBatman-"]

Wickerman777

Shouldn't phrase it like that. Most PCs are not more powerful than PS4 or Xbox One. Should say: Tiny percentage of PCs>PS4>Xbox One.

Most PC gamers have PC's that are 2 gens ahead of PS4 and XB1.

Wickerman777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 Wickerman777

Still look good for a lunch game on ps4.

but it's funny to think that in 2015 the gpu's on pc will be like 16 TFLops.

new_gamer244

Lol, that's only 2 years away. They won't be THAT powerful. Maybe 6-7 tflops.

Wickerman777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 Wickerman777

[QUOTE="Wickerman777"]

[QUOTE="ImBatman-"]

dream431ca

And the type of PC gamer you're describing = hardly anyone.

dream431ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 dream431ca

[QUOTE="dream431ca"]

[QUOTE="Wickerman777"]

Wickerman777

Steam says otherwise. A lot of PC gamers might not have super powerful PCs but I can guarantee that almost all people who game on PC will be able to best the PS4 and XB1 without any trouble at all.

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#81 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

[QUOTE="uninspiredcup"]

[QUOTE="Shewgenja"]

ManatuBeard

Cutscenes running on real time using only 4gb mem, variable framerate between 30-90 (non-optimized) and made using ps3 tools.

Doesnt MS invest in tech demos so player can know what to expect in the future? sad...

It's a tech demo that no PS4 game can match in real time rendering an open environment and lots of characters unless they want the PS4 to explode, if anything they would be the last thing to use to judge graphics on hardware.

Wickerman777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 Wickerman777

[QUOTE="Wickerman777"]

[QUOTE="dream431ca"]

dream431ca

Steam says otherwise. A lot of PC gamers might not have super powerful PCs but I can guarantee that almost all people who game on PC will be able to best the PS4 and XB1 without any trouble at all.

So the majority of people that play any Steam games have 8 gigs of vram? Lol, I doubt that. And when it comes to processing it ain't an apples to apples thing cuz code for consoles is much more efficient than it is for PC.

ManatuBeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 ManatuBeard
Member since 2012 • 1121 Posts

[QUOTE="ManatuBeard"]

[QUOTE="uninspiredcup"]

mitu123

It's a tech demo that no PS4 game can match in real time rendering an open environment and lots of characters unless they want the PS4 to explode, if anything they would be the last thing to use to judge graphics on hardware.

If a demo created in the refered conditions look like that, im sure when games use the full 7gb mem, PS4 tools, fully optimized code and GPGPU, games can look like that too,

All the logic/physics in that demo was using CPU only, since PS3 tools dont have GPGPU features.

NFJSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 NFJSupreme

[QUOTE="dream431ca"]

[QUOTE="Wickerman777"]

Wickerman777

Is that  supposed to make you feel better about your future purchase of a "next gen" console?  

Wickerman777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 Wickerman777

[QUOTE="mitu123"]

[QUOTE="ManatuBeard"]

ManatuBeard

If a demo created in the refered conditions look like that, im sure when games use the full 7gb mem, PS4 tools, fully optimized code and GPGPU, games can look like that too,

All the logic/physics in that demo was using CPU only, since PS3 tools dont have GPGPU features.

Has 7 gigs available to the games even been confirmed yet? I don't think it has been. Is speculation right now.

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 parkurtommo
Member since 2009 • 28295 Posts
[QUOTE="R4gn4r0k"]

As long as you're playing it on Xbone, PS4 or PC the game will look great.

Cuby_Finest
what about wii u

lol
Wickerman777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 Wickerman777

[QUOTE="Wickerman777"]

[QUOTE="dream431ca"]

NFJSupreme

Is that  supposed to make you feel better about your future purchase of a "next gen" console?  

I haven't made my mind up about whether I'll get a gaming PC or not yet. I think about it but don't know if I'd play it enough to justify the cost.

dream431ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 dream431ca

[QUOTE="dream431ca"]

[QUOTE="Wickerman777"]

Wickerman777

So the majority of people that play any Steam games have 8 gigs of vram? Lol, I doubt that. And when it comes to processing it ain't an apples to apples thing cuz code for consoles is much more efficient than it is for PC.

You are seriously mistaken. The PS4 has 8 Gigs of GDDR5 Ram which is SHARED memory across the whole hardware, including graphics. GDDR5 is great for graphics, because of the speed of the RAM but for normal CPU work, it's not so great because the latency is much higher than DDR3. There are always trade offs.

NFJSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 NFJSupreme

[QUOTE="mitu123"]

[QUOTE="ManatuBeard"]

ManatuBeard

don't hold your breath.  Tech demos are tech demos for a reason.

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 parkurtommo

[QUOTE="ManatuBeard"]

[QUOTE="uninspiredcup"]

mitu123

We probably will be seeing graphics like those, except with a much better art direction (because that demo has some pretty hideous designs) this next gen, if the evolution from 2005-2013 is any indication.
Wickerman777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 Wickerman777

[QUOTE="Wickerman777"]

[QUOTE="dream431ca"]

dream431ca

You are seriously mistaken. The PS4 has 8 Gigs of GDDR5 Ram which is SHARED memory across the whole hardware, including graphics. GDDR5 is great for graphics, because of the speed of the RAM but for normal CPU work, it's not so great because the latency is much higher than DDR3. There are always trade offs.

But it can be used for graphics memory. The point is that right now most PCs don't have that kind of video memory available to them.

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 parkurtommo

[QUOTE="Wickerman777"]

[QUOTE="dream431ca"]

dream431ca

False.
mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 mitu123

[QUOTE="mitu123"]

[QUOTE="ManatuBeard"]

ManatuBeard

Um, you also have to take in the specs to account that the gpu is a customized 200 bucks card that would run out of power before the VRAM is used up trying to render that with more going on than a tiny area...

VRAM helps, but it isn't the be all, end all, a more powerful gpu is still important.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60721 Posts
Ordered it for PS4, day 1. :cool:
mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 mitu123

[QUOTE="mitu123"]

[QUOTE="ManatuBeard"]

parkurtommo

We probably will be seeing graphics like those, except with a much better art direction (because that demo has some pretty hideous designs) this next gen, if the evolution from 2005-2013 is any indication.

Maybe on PC 1st.:P That tech demo still looks better than every PS4 game right now!

Wickerman777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 Wickerman777

[QUOTE="ManatuBeard"]

[QUOTE="mitu123"]It's a tech demo that no PS4 game can match in real time rendering an open environment and lots of characters unless they want the PS4 to explode, if anything they would be the last thing to use to judge graphics on hardware.

mitu123

Um, you also have to take in the specs to account that the gpu is a customized 200 bucks card that would run out of power before the VRAM is used up trying to render that with more going on than a tiny area...

VRAM helps, but it isn't the be all, end all, a more powerful gpu is still important.

Again though, consoles get a lot more out of their GPUs than PCs do because the code is much tighter. PCs tend to brute force their way through things.

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 mitu123

[QUOTE="mitu123"]

[QUOTE="ManatuBeard"]

Wickerman777

Again though, consoles get a lot more out of their GPUs than PCs do because the code is much tighter. PCs tend to brute force their way through things.

Consoles also have more bottlenecks...its why you don't see 1080p, 60FPS, MSAA and more in most PS3 and 360 games...

Wickerman777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 Wickerman777

[QUOTE="Wickerman777"]

[QUOTE="mitu123"]Um, you also have to take in the specs to account that the gpu is a customized 200 bucks card that would run out of power before the VRAM is used up trying to render that with more going on than a tiny area...

mitu123

Consoles also have more bottlenecks...its why you don't see 1080p, 60FPS, MSAA and more in most PS3 and 360 games...

Yeah, that's the reason! Lmmao. I guess it has nothing to do with those only being 250 gflop machines with 512 megs of RAM. Try getting a PC with the same specs to do what they do and it'd melt.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 clyde46

[QUOTE="mitu123"]

[QUOTE="ManatuBeard"]

Wickerman777

Still wont help a mid-range GPU. As Mitu said, it will run out of grunt long before it uses all that VRAM.
parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 parkurtommo

[QUOTE="parkurtommo"][QUOTE="mitu123"]It's a tech demo that no PS4 game can match in real time rendering an open environment and lots of characters unless they want the PS4 to explode, if anything they would be the last thing to use to judge graphics on hardware.

mitu123

Maybe on PC 1st.:P That tech demo still looks better than every PS4 game right now!

Yes of course we'll see it on PC first! But towards the end of the generation, considering how consistent graphical evolution has been so far, we will definitely see some extremely impressive stuff.