System Wars Lounge V 88: This is the End. (Or is it?)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#101 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10490 Posts

would genuinely be a real shame to lose this board. i've lost two forums in the past that i frequented and it did leave a bit of a void. it's an ingrained habit after all these years, logging on, seeing familiar names, contributing bits here and there.

it is being part of a community. a small, dysfunctional, little bit weird community, but still, it's fun to be part of. find twitter and reddit terrible places to have gaming discussions. and very different to the intimacy and familiarity of forums. not a fan of reading the views of the great unwashed. something to be said for a small group of regulars, still unwashed, but characters you know. definitely think we need an exit strategy. wonder if giantbomb is going through similar maintainer's neglect.

@uninspiredcup said:
@last_lap said:

Not being able to post for some 3yrs gave me some perspective, and it didn't really bother me that much at all that I couldn't post, I even stopped coming to this site altogether for months on end, so it won't be too hard for me if it indeed happens but would suck if this place gets shuttered.

Not sure about other people, but I don't post on any other forums at all, this is the only one. So, no IGN, Discord, that neogaf, or 4chan that I keep hearing about. I would just disappear into the night lol.

Banned for 3 years? Didn't feel like that at all. Time flies.

yeah that surprised me too. can't have been that long. felt like a year at most

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#102 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24985 Posts

@Macutchi said:

would genuinely be a real shame to lose this board. i've lost two forums in the past that i frequented and it did leave a bit of a void. it's an ingrained habit after all these years, logging on, seeing familiar names, contributing bits here and there.

it is being part of a community. a small, dysfunctional, little bit weird community, but still, it's fun to be part of. find twitter and reddit terrible places to have gaming discussions. and very different to the intimacy and familiarity of forums. not a fan of reading the views of the great unwashed. something to be said for a small group of regulars, still unwashed, but characters you know. definitely think we need an exit strategy. wonder if giantbomb is going through similar maintainer's neglect.

@uninspiredcup said:
@last_lap said:

Not being able to post for some 3yrs gave me some perspective, and it didn't really bother me that much at all that I couldn't post, I even stopped coming to this site altogether for months on end, so it won't be too hard for me if it indeed happens but would suck if this place gets shuttered.

Not sure about other people, but I don't post on any other forums at all, this is the only one. So, no IGN, Discord, that neogaf, or 4chan that I keep hearing about. I would just disappear into the night lol.

in 2023. I post rarely. or very less.

maybe I will deactivate in 2024.

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#103 Last_Lap
Member since 2023 • 6337 Posts

@Chutebox said:

@last_lap: Before the rule changes about trolling and insults there were actual conversations. People trolled, but they were discrete.

Kinda sucked, you could get modded pretty easily.

So, when they relaxed on the trolling a lot of people left.

@hardwenzen said:
@last_lap said:
@hardwenzen said:
@last_lap said:

@hardwenzen: No, it's a wenzen doesn't have any experience thing.

Not true, not true at all. Sorry.

Sorry but you posted a pic of a dude which I pointed out and you couldn't tell if it was a man or a woman. Definitely wenzen has no experience thing.

I wish you luck in changing your situation 👍

Well, at least help me out a bit, no?

A lady of the night perhaps, surely they have those in Canada.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#104  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59108 Posts

@Macutchi: Same boat really. See people are in this bizarre mind-set where they act like they hate the forum and it's dead, but continue to post for years on end regardless.

Kinda just think to myself... leave? Not that fucking complicated.

I do wonder if it's just some nonsense where they registered 20 years ago and need that badge of honor lol. Like it's an accomplishment to exist haha

Suspect 3 years from now we will be hearing of Ghosts incoming end. Carefully documented every 3 weeks where he asks how we feel about it. Asking if we'll survive.

But yea, I tend to ignore all that and go about business as usual until the doors actually shut.

Forum could do with a re-design, that much will say. It's randomly baffling just how poorly designed it is.

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105  Edited By Last_Lap
@Macutchi said:

@uninspiredcup said:
@last_lap said:

early 2019-early 2023 I believe, but now you've got me re-thinking it lol.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106 Macutchi

@ghosts4ever: your choice mate but if the forums don't get shut down i'd just leave your profile idle like conan.

no point deactivating. assuming gs doesn't lose any more posters there'll probably be occasional times you'll want to revisit and you dont want to have to rejoin as one of those default avatar temp account punks.

plus you're called ghosts4ever, you've committed to forever, not ghostsuntil2024

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107 Macutchi

@davillain said:

Well damn, Disney just fired Jonathan Majors in a heartbeat! That verdict really sealed his doomed. Oh well, Kang was getting nowhere anyways in the current MCU.

shit just seen that. no way.

i really liked him in quantamania. thought it would be nigh on impossible for anyone to step into thanos' giant shoes but majors did a brilliant job. i dont think he's replaceable. they're going to have to pivot to dr doom or something else.

kang: "i don't live in a straight line. and with time... it's hard not to skip to the end. so, if you want to stop what's coming, and trust me, you do, i am the only shot you have."

cassie: "what's coming?"

kang: "me. a lot of me."

all that set up they've done and now it's all for nothing

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By uninspiredcup

They already replaced someone before.

Don't think most people will care tbh.

dabear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#109 dabear
Member since 2002 • 8874 Posts

@nod_calypse: I see the writing on the wall with the notifications issue.

dabear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#110 dabear
Member since 2002 • 8874 Posts

@kvallyx said:
@nod_calypse said:
@kvallyx said:

Is there a backup forum if/when this one goes dead?

Nope. Plenty of peeps asking about one though.

Would take somebody gettin up off their ass and doing it.

Oddly enough, I found this:

www.systemwars.net

I remember that site. it was created by a group of people from GameSpot who hated the (then) new TOS rules that "ruined SystemWars".

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#111 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60718 Posts

@Macutchi said:

@uninspiredcup said:
@last_lap said:

Time flies when you're banned.

Avatar image for deactivated-65dd04f21decf
deactivated-65dd04f21decf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 deactivated-65dd04f21decf
Member since 2022 • 3769 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

Not a fan of Discords. Esp VC, never do I want to hear a SW voice again. Just weird.

Holy crap can imagine. Definitely don't want to hear any of these fuckers' voices close to my ear. Would honestly be traumatizing af.

Also def don't want to be SWing in a SW gatekeeper commune.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 deactivated-65dd04f21decf

@Heil68 said:
@Macutchi said:

@uninspiredcup said:
@last_lap said:

Time flies when you're banned.

Things got real weird during COVID, esp lockdowns. Peoples' perceptions got all wonky. About a lot of things.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 Heil68

@nod_calypse said:
@uninspiredcup said:

Not a fan of Discords. Esp VC, never do I want to hear a SW voice again. Just weird.

Holy crap can imagine. Definitely don't want to hear any of these fuckers' voices close to my ear. Would honestly be traumatizing af.

Awww, no chance of you guys joining the Pedal to Medal podcast with @TheEroica, @Animal-Mother and I?

It would be LEGENDARY. :D

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22797 Posts

@ConanTheStoner said:
@davillain said:

System Wars already has its own Discord, but its a ghost town as no one hasn't posted there in months.

That place became the filter for the actual Discord lol. A way to see if someone has the same dumb SW baggage outside the forum.

The real server is still going strong. Started out as old GS peeps, but we've skimmed heads from other forums and servers, it's a pretty cool group. Only had one leadership issue, but he quickly got demoted.

But yeah, lots of good personalities, discussion/debate, lots of multiplayer groups. People VC and stream almost daily. Pretty much my go-to spot for gaming stuff.

Good to know. I've been on a few times but discord has never been my go to spot. Will re-download.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 Macutchi

@uninspiredcup said:

They already replaced someone before.

Don't think most people will care tbh.

i care cup, ok, i care

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 Macutchi

it's funny watching everyone quote and @ each other as if it makes a shit bit of difference these days. it's just luck if you see a reply. i suppose it does make you re-read more threads to check, and more checks means more clicks and more clicks means more ad revenue maybe. could this be gamespot's cunning plan all along...

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 uninspiredcup

@Macutchi: He quite good in Creed 3. Basically held it up. The actual Creed character himself is boring AF.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#119 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 39290 Posts

@last_lap said:
@hardwenzen said:
@last_lap said:
@hardwenzen said:
@last_lap said:

@hardwenzen: No, it's a wenzen doesn't have any experience thing.

Sorry but you posted a pic of a dude which I pointed out and you couldn't tell if it was a man or a woman. Definitely wenzen has no experience thing.

We don't anymore. Plenty in the 90's and early 2000's, but ever since 2007 or so, they captured them all and put them in cages. Now you simply never see any.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7324 Posts

@Macutchi: Giantbomb is in a similar decline in users, but their notifications still work. Also, they have staff that regularly post.

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 Last_Lap

@hardwenzen said:
@last_lap said:
@hardwenzen said:
@last_lap said:
@hardwenzen said:

We don't anymore. Plenty in the 90's and early 2000's, but ever since 2007 or so, they captured them all and put them in cages. Now you simply never see any.

Bawdy, bawdy.

UItravioIence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 UItravioIence
Member since 2016 • 3043 Posts

Amazon just dropped off an early Christmas gift. AC Infinity indoor grow tent. I'm about to have the most fire weed! Now I need to brush up on making butter and oils for gummies and vapes.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 Heil68

@uitravioience said:

Amazon just dropped off an early Christmas gift. AC Infinity indoor grow tent. I'm about to have the most fire weed! Now I need to brush up on making butter and oils for gummies and vapes.

Do you ship? :D

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23718 Posts
@nod_calypse said:

There just happens to be a bar, not necessarily a high one, but still lol. We don't really SW there anyways, the point is to get away from that shit. Like once every month or two someone will jokingly say cow or lem. Mainly just a place to talk games and shoot the shit. Like a way more active version of the lounge.

One of you should create an actual SW Discord. Hand the server rights to someone who isn't a total asshole. Make a public non-expiring link, share it with the whole forum, sticky it, etc.

This wouldn't have to be your new SW, but if a lot of you really believe this forums days are numbered, at least you'd have a place to regroup and maybe launch a new forum from there.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 deactivated-65dd04f21decf

@ConanTheStoner said:
@nod_calypse said:

There just happens to be a bar, not necessarily a high one, but still lol. We don't really SW there anyways, the point is to get away from that shit. Like once every month or two someone will jokingly say cow or lem. Mainly just a place to talk games and shoot the shit. Like a way more active version of the lounge.

One of you should create an actual SW Discord. Hand the server rights to someone who isn't a total asshole. Make a public non-expiring link, share it with the whole forum, sticky it, etc.

This wouldn't have to be your new SW, but if a lot of you really believe this forums days are numbered, at least you'd have a place to regroup and maybe launch a new forum from there.

That's cool. It's just not SW, but no problem with that. Sounds fun, if anything.

The loony aspect of this place is something special, lol.

And yes on the SW discord idea. We should do a sticky or something, get people on it, assign roles, etc.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23718 Posts
@nod_calypse said:

And yes on the SW discord idea. We should do a sticky or something, get people on it, assign roles, etc.

Yep, even if it's just a hub to launch something else from. Better than nothing if these boards randomly shut down.

Make sure the server owner is someone who will be active, chill, but also willing to step up if there's a real issue. Typically the perfect people for the role are those who don't want it lol.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 deactivated-65dd04f21decf

@ConanTheStoner said:
@nod_calypse said:

Yep, even if it's just a hub to launch something else from. Better than nothing if these boards randomly shut down.

Make sure the server owner is someone who will be active, chill, but also willing to step up if there's a real issue. Typically the perfect people for the role are those who don't want it lol.

Honestly, only person I'd think to nominate would be @davillain.

Dude's proved his worth.

UItravioIence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 UItravioIence

@Heil68: man I wish. I'm gonna have so much, I'm not gonna know what to do with it lol.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 deactivated-65dd04f21decf

Lol, public forum's probably not the best place to set up a tree service.

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 Last_Lap

@nod_calypse said:

LOL yeah, um isn't one the mods a Police Officer or in some form of law enforcement?

UItravioIence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 UItravioIence

@last_lap: **** the police. It's legal where I live.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56253 Posts

@last_lap said:
@nod_calypse said:

LOL yeah, um isn't one the mods a Police Officer or in some form of law enforcement?

Stevo is your man of the Law Enforcement.

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 Last_Lap

@uitravioience said:

Legal for recreational use, but surely not sell right?

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134 Last_Lap
@davillain said:
@last_lap said:
@nod_calypse said:

Stevo is your man of the Law Enforcement.

Guys got a tough job being a cop in the US. Hopefully they pay him a fortune.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135 hardwenzen

@last_lap said:
@uitravioience said:

In canada you can sell mountains of it😂This is why you need to move to Canada and buy a PS5.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By uninspiredcup

Trailer goes hard.

Loading Video...

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137 hardwenzen

A24 and their god damn bangers.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By uninspiredcup

That girl is legit built like a shit brick house.

She seems really miscast in The Mandalorian, standing about doing boring shit eating cookies. An untapped actor star imo.

'Brian was born on February 12, 1989 in Indianapolis, Indiana and has three older brothers. She fell in love with martial arts at 5 years old, and at age 9 earned her brown belt in Shorei Goju Ryu Karate.[3] Throughout her youth, she participated in numerous sports programs and also in music programs as a percussionist.

She attended Indiana University Bloomington, majoring in psychology and Germanic studies.[5] She was one of the first members of the university's short-form improv troupe Hoosonfirst, and received law enforcement certification through the university's Cadet Officer Program. At university, she received her black belt in Hapkido through the US Hapkido Federation.

After graduation, she was a police officer for seven years at the Carmel Police Department in Carmel, Indiana, including the department’s Crisis Intervention Team, which specialized in helping individuals with various conditions such as psychosis, depression, Alzheimer’s, as well as autistic people. She obtained her personal trainer certification and began competing in bodybuilding figure competitions,[8] and began training at the Indy Actors Academy.

In 2016, O'Brian moved to Los Angeles to pursue a career in film and television. While waiting to land a role, she worked with the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA) Martial Arts Program, helping with self-defense classes, instructing the Hapkido program. Through UCLA’s programs, and studying Muay Thai and Brazilian Jiu Jitsu.

Think mentioned before but this forum is terribly designed. Even posting a quote under an image now is struggle.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139 hardwenzen

@uninspiredcup: Perfect to play Abbyzilla in tlou season 2

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140 uninspiredcup

Unironically yes.

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141 Last_Lap

@hardwenzen said:
@last_lap said:
@uitravioience said:

In canada you can sell mountains of it😂This is why you need to move to Canada and buy a PS5.

Sorry but I won't be downgrading once let alone twice.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142 Heil68

@last_lap said:
@hardwenzen said:
@last_lap said:
@uitravioience said:

Pretty harsh words for Canada.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143  Edited By hardwenzen
@last_lap said:
@hardwenzen said:
@last_lap said:
@uitravioience said:

You can't downgrade from nothing. Canada is simply better, much better, and that ps5, of boy that ps5. Much better than your gamepass rent machine. But since you're a big fan of digital games, i guess the X is more of your thing.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144 deactivated-65dd04f21decf

@hardwenzen said:
@last_lap said:
@hardwenzen said:
@last_lap said:
@uitravioience said:

You can't downgrade from nothing. Canada is simply better, much better, and that ps5, of boy that ps5. Much better than your gamepass rent machine. But since you're a big fan of digital games, i guess the X is more of your thing.

I'll say this about Canada. They had some bangin' TV shows back in the 90s.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145 Macutchi

i heard somewhere that australia is almost the size of america but less populated than los angeles. crazy if true.

@nod_calypse: used to love trailerpark boys back in the day. not aged well though

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#146 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69932 Posts

Lots of doom and gloom for the forums. 🤷🏽‍♂️

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147 deactivated-65dd04f21decf

@Pedro said:

Lots of doom and gloom for the forums. 🤷🏽‍♂️

Just depends on how you look at it. See the end as a new beginning, it feels different.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148 deactivated-65dd04f21decf
@Macutchi said:

@nod_calypse: used to love trailerpark boys back in the day. not aged well though

Never saw that.

Forever Knight was dope af.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7324 Posts

@uninspiredcup: @hardwenzen: I suggested O'Brian to play Abby in the comments of a GS article about some other not-built chick trying to land the role. It's a no-brainer. She's already on another show with Pedro Pascal. Make it happen Druckman.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150 Macutchi

@judaspete said:

@Macutchi: Giantbomb is in a similar decline in users, but their notifications still work. Also, they have staff that regularly post.

just seen your post. that's encouraging. if the sister site is still functioning and not looking close to being decommissioned there's a bit of hope for us