SWM Fall Issue 2011 is coming soon - SWM

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 0

#251 Willy105
Member since 2005 • 26119 Posts
[QUOTE="locopatho"]I don't understand how you can control a 3d game with one stick? The stylus isn't enough unless you aren't hitting buttons? Don't really know how to hold the 3DS, found Zelda unplayable. Will stick with VC version I think :DShinobishyguy
the VC version didn't use a second analog stick either :? None of the n64 zelda's did

Maybe he's just used to resting his thumb on a second analog stick.
Avatar image for deactivated-6040149309c71
deactivated-6040149309c71

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#252 deactivated-6040149309c71
Member since 2010 • 718 Posts

Nintendo needs to make an advanced wars 3DS NAO!!!

Zero5000X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#253 Zero5000X
Member since 2004 • 8314 Posts
That was awful.
EPaul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#254 EPaul
Member since 2006 • 9917 Posts

That conference was so boring

mmmwksil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#255 mmmwksil
Member since 2003 • 16423 Posts

Let it be forever remembered. Nintendo bounced back in full force. ;) Not one mention of a revision or that analog attachment :o

exiledsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#256 exiledsnake
Member since 2005 • 1906 Posts

Let it be forever remembered. Nintendo bounced back in full force. ;) Not one mention of a revision or that analog attachment :o

mmmwksil
Not in investor's eyes though.
minh800

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#257 minh800
Member since 2011 • 1166 Posts

Vita dies? Over exaggeration. New MH titles will go on the Vita as well, and I'm willing to bet they'll sell more than 3DS versions as well.

Avatar image for Captain_Lorelli
Captain_Lorelli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#258 Captain_Lorelli
Member since 2004 • 1078 Posts

Vita dies? Over exaggeration. New MH titles will go on the Vita as well, and I'm willing to bet they'll sell more than 3DS versions as well.

minh800

I'll take that bet. PSP did so well..... DS started off far worse than the 3ds and it crushed. MH will dominate the sales charts...on 3DS

minh800

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#259 minh800

[QUOTE="minh800"]

Captain_Lorelli

I'll take that bet. PSP did so well..... DS started off far worse than the 3ds and it crushed. MH will dominate the sales charts...on 3DS

Haha, with less than HALF the install base in Japan, MHP3rd outsold Dragon Quest 9. I know which pony to bet on.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#260 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

[QUOTE="Captain_Lorelli"]

[QUOTE="minh800"]

minh800

Haha, with less than HALF the install base in Japan, MHP3rd outsold Dragon Quest 9. I know which pony to be on.

I highly doubt MH4 is going to the Vita anytime soon, not before the 3DS version is released and is a couple of months old, at the earliest.
minh800

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#261 minh800

[QUOTE="minh800"]

[QUOTE="Captain_Lorelli"]

charizard1605

Haha, with less than HALF the install base in Japan, MHP3rd outsold Dragon Quest 9. I know which pony to be on.

I highly doubt MH4 is going to the Vita anytime soon, not before the 3DS version is released and is a couple of months old, at the earliest.

I highly doubt MH4 is going to be released anytime soon. Chances are, Sony is still holding onto the actual Portable subseries. I don't think MH4 is coming onto the Vita at all. Even if the 3DS gets a new MH before the Vita, I still don't see it mattering. The 360 and Wii got new Tales games before the PS3 but the PS3's versions still outsold the rest (and it had about half the install base of the Wii). I imagine the same will happen with the Vita and 3DS.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#262 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

[QUOTE="charizard1605"][QUOTE="minh800"]

minh800

I highly doubt MH4 is going to be released anytime soon. Chances are, Sony is still holding onto the actual Portable subseries. I don't think MH4 is coming onto the Vita at all. Even if the 3DS gets a new MH before the Vita, I still don't see it mattering. The 360 and Wii got new Tales games before the PS3 but the PS3's versions still outsold the rest (and it had about half the install base of the Wii). I imagine the same will happen with the Vita and 3DS.

Oh no, Monster Hunter 4 will sell more on the 3DS. Tour point about Dragon quest 9 is a very good point, but we don't really have a way of comparing the two, simply because maybe it can be argued that Monster Hunter's commercial power is greater than Dragon Quest? Also, Dragon Quest 9 outsold all PSP Monster Hunters overall. Monster Hunter did sell faster though.
minh800

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#263 minh800

[QUOTE="minh800"]

[QUOTE="charizard1605"]I highly doubt MH4 is going to the Vita anytime soon, not before the 3DS version is released and is a couple of months old, at the earliest.charizard1605

Oh no, Monster Hunter 4 will sell more on the 3DS. Tour point about Dragon quest 9 is a very good point, but we don't really have a way of comparing the two, simply because maybe it can be argued that Monster Hunter's commercial power is greater than Dragon Quest? Also, Dragon Quest 9 outsold all PSP Monster Hunters overall. Monster Hunter did sell faster though.

Reasons? Talking bout DQ9's Japan sales, not worldwide sales. Pretty sure MHP3rd's sales exceeded those (Square hasn't updated their numbers last time I checked).

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#264 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

minh800

Reasons? Talking bout DQ9's Japan sales, not worldwide sales. Pretty sure MHP3rd's sales exceeded those (Square hasn't updated their numbers last time I checked).

Dragon Quest 9 sold 4.3 million in Japan, and 1.6 million worldwide. Square didn't update those numbers because Nintendo published the title everywhere else, and that 1.6 million number comes from them. Dragon Quest sold more, ultimately.
minh800

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#265 minh800

[QUOTE="minh800"]

[QUOTE="charizard1605"] Oh no, Monster Hunter 4 will sell more on the 3DS. Tour point about Dragon quest 9 is a very good point, but we don't really have a way of comparing the two, simply because maybe it can be argued that Monster Hunter's commercial power is greater than Dragon Quest? Also, Dragon Quest 9 outsold all PSP Monster Hunters overall. Monster Hunter did sell faster though.charizard1605

Dragon Quest 9 sold 4.3 million in Japan, and 1.6 million worldwide. Square didn't update those numbers because Nintendo published the title everywhere else, and that 1.6 million number comes from them. Dragon Quest sold more, ultimately.

4.7 million in Japan alone. It hasn't been released worldwide. Even if it was released worldwide, it probably wouldn't exceed DQ9's international sales but thats only because the PSP is dead in the West.

I'd still like to hear some reasons why MH4 will sell more on the 3DS than a new Portable game on the Vita.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#266 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

minh800

4.7 million in Japan alone. It hasn't been released worldwide. Even if it was released worldwide, it probably wouldn't exceed DQ9's international sales but thats only because the PSP is dead in the West.

I'd still like to hear some reasons why MH4 will sell more on the 3DS than a new Portable game on the Vita.

Well, see, for starters, you are assuming that Monster Hunter fans identify the series with the PSP whereas I argue that might not necessarily be the case. If the games had been on the DS, who knows how much they would have sold? I argue that the games will sell more on the 3DS for a simple reason- not only will the core Monster Hunter fanbase pick the 3DS and the 3DS versions up, but the Pokemon+Animal Crossing+Dragon Quest+Professor Layton crowd, that initially might have been interested in the series but never tried it out because it wasn't on the DS, will most likely decide to give the games a go too. By sheer numbers, I'm assuming the 3DS versions will sell more.
minh800

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#267 minh800

[QUOTE="minh800"]

[QUOTE="charizard1605"] Dragon Quest 9 sold 4.3 million in Japan, and 1.6 million worldwide. Square didn't update those numbers because Nintendo published the title everywhere else, and that 1.6 million number comes from them. Dragon Quest sold more, ultimately.charizard1605

Well, see, for starters, you are assuming that Monster Hunter fans identify the series with the PSP whereas I argue that might not necessarily be the case. If the games had been on the DS, who knows how much they would have sold? I argue that the games will sell more on the 3DS for a simple reason- not only will the core Monster Hunter fanbase pick the 3DS and the 3DS versions up, but the Pokemon+Animal Crossing+Dragon Quest+Professor Layton crowd, that initially might have been interested in the series but never tried it out because it wasn't on the DS, will most likely decide to give the games a go too. By sheer numbers, I'm assuming the 3DS versions will sell more.

I'm saying that core games sell better on devices that target core gamers. So far, nothing I've seen has made me rethink my position. This is no different. The Vita is more poised as a core gamer's device than the 3DS.

Isn't that a baseless assumption? Did the entire MGS fanbase pick up the PSP and MGS games up? No. Did the entire Tales fanbase pick up Graces and the Wii? No. Would the entire GTA fanbase pick up a WiiU and the game for an exclusive game? No. Why would the MH fanbase pick up the 3DS for it? Why should we judge them any differently?

I think those Pokemon, Layton, and Animal Crossing crowds wouldn't be that interested in MH.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#268 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

minh800

I'm saying that core games sell better on devices that target core gamers. So far, nothing I've seen has made me rethink my position. This is no different. The Vita is more poised as a core gamer's device than the 3DS.

Isn't that a baseless assumption? Did the entire MGS fanbase pick up the PSP and MGS games up? No. Did the entire Tales fanbase pick up Graces and the Wii? No. Would the entire GTA fanbase pick up a WiiU and the game for an exclusive game? No. Why would the MH fanbase pick up the 3DS for it? Why should we judge them any differently?

I think those Pokemon, Layton, and Animal Crossing crowds wouldn't be that interested in MH.

What makes you think the 3DS is less of a core gamers' device than the Vita? There is literally nothing that indicates this. And we'll see in about a years' time :P
minh800

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#269 minh800

[QUOTE="minh800"]

[QUOTE="charizard1605"] Well, see, for starters, you are assuming that Monster Hunter fans identify the series with the PSP whereas I argue that might not necessarily be the case. If the games had been on the DS, who knows how much they would have sold? I argue that the games will sell more on the 3DS for a simple reason- not only will the core Monster Hunter fanbase pick the 3DS and the 3DS versions up, but the Pokemon+Animal Crossing+Dragon Quest+Professor Layton crowd, that initially might have been interested in the series but never tried it out because it wasn't on the DS, will most likely decide to give the games a go too. By sheer numbers, I'm assuming the 3DS versions will sell more.charizard1605

What makes you think the 3DS is less of a core gamers' device than the Vita? There is literally nothing that indicates this. And we'll see in about a years' time :P

Everything from aesthetics, to the hardware, and many of the announced games scream core to me much more than the 3DS. And since most of the "system sellers" I keep seeing for the 3DS feel more suited for general audiences (Nintendo fans, children, casuals), it just feels like that's what the 3DS will sell to - a general audience. Unlike the Vita which seems to target one specific group (and does so pretty well).

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#270 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

minh800

Everything from aesthetics, to the hardware, and many of the announced games scream core to me much more than the 3DS. And since most of the "system sellers" I keep seeing for the 3DS feel more suited for general audiences (Nintendo fans, children, casuals), it just feels like that's what the 3DS will sell to - a general audience. Unlike the Vita which seems to target one specific group (and does so pretty well).

I'd say the games will decide which is a core device. In which case, once again, we will see.
minh800

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#271 minh800

[QUOTE="minh800"]

[QUOTE="charizard1605"] What makes you think the 3DS is less of a core gamers' device than the Vita? There is literally nothing that indicates this. And we'll see in about a years' time :Pcharizard1605

I'd say the games will decide which is a core device. In which case, once again, we will see.

There's quite a bit more, I'd say. It's like the total core package VS... the 3DS :P

Jynxzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#272 Jynxzor
Member since 2003 • 9313 Posts
Sony's conference tomorrow will really set the tone for the handheld race for sure. Knowing more about the lineup is going to cause a big stir in System Wars at least.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#273 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

minh800

There's quite a bit more, I'd say. It's like the total core package VS... the 3DS :P

Well, the 3DS does quite a fair bit, but... Ah, whatever. I love the Vita for what it promises to bring, and I seriously hope it does very well too. Two competitive handhelds on the market are much much better than one dominating handheld, as the DS/PSP proved :D
minh800

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#274 minh800

[QUOTE="minh800"]

[QUOTE="charizard1605"] I'd say the games will decide which is a core device. In which case, once again, we will see.charizard1605

Well, the 3DS does quite a fair bit, but... Ah, whatever. I love the Vita for what it promises to bring, and I seriously hope it does very well too. Two competitive handhelds on the market are much much better than one dominating handheld, as the DS/PSP proved :D

Oh yeah, I just want the Vita to succeed well enough so I can get more of what I loved on the PSP. I'm not worried about the 3DS sales wise. It should do well, hopefully not well enough to steal support.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#275 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

[QUOTE="charizard1605"][QUOTE="minh800"] There's quite a bit more, I'd say. It's like the total core package VS... the 3DS :P

minh800

Oh yeah, I just want the Vita to succeed well enough so I can get more of what I loved on the PSP. I'm not worried about the 3DS sales wise. It should do well, hopefully not well enough to steal support.

The Vita will do well. Even if, say, the 3DS manages to dominate like the DS did (which is highly unlikely), the Vita will find its own niche like the PSP eventually did. The best thing that can happen is cross platform games on the handhelds.
Jynxzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#276 Jynxzor
Member since 2003 • 9313 Posts
If anything Nintendo shot themselves in the foot and they may not totally recover from their own blunder giving Sony a perfect window to carve out a larger slice of pie this generation.
laus_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#277 laus_basic
Member since 2002 • 8300 Posts

Game of the conference for me was Bravely Default. New IP and looked so good!

music was awesome too

LastRambo341

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#278 LastRambo341
Member since 2010 • 8767 Posts

minh800

Oh give me a break, this whole "this system is for core gamers derp" is making me sick. 3DS has games for all people, whether it is hardcore (SSF4, RE, Mario) and casual (nintendogs) Same with Vita because it will have casual games and that is a smart thing to do. Hardware has nothing to do with being " core" , the ps2 was the weakest last gen but it had many great " core".(ugh) games

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#279 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
If anything Nintendo shot themselves in the foot and they may not totally recover from their own blunder giving Sony a perfect window to carve out a larger slice of pie this generation.Jynxzor
What are you talking about?
ultraking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#280 ultraking
Member since 2004 • 6904 Posts
All this talk about monster hunter , I wonder if people here are actually excited for it or if their just excited that a game on the 3DS is actually gonna sell.. me being a MH fan since the first one on ps2 really just want a HD console version. Enough with the mh portables

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#281 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
All this talk about monster hunter , I wonder if people here are actually excited for it or if their just excited that a game on the 3DS is actually gonna sell.. me being a MH fan since the first one on ps2 really just want a HD console version. Enough with the mh portablesultraking
I love Monster Hunter, and frankly, am okay with the series being on portables forever.
ultraking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#282 ultraking
So you would be against a HD mh on ps3?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#283 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
So you would be against a HD mh on ps3?ultraking
I wouldn't be against it, but I honestly prefer the games to stay on the handhelds. I like being able to play them wherever and whenever I want, as long as the handheld games get online, I wouldn't care at all if they completely stopped making console games altogether. Monster Hunter just feels right on a portable. Like Pokemon.
yoshi_64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#284 yoshi_64
Member since 2003 • 25261 Posts

[QUOTE="Willy105"][QUOTE="Cherokee_Jack"]

If you're going to have 1 stick you might as well have 2. The PSP showed us that analog movement is worth jack s*** without analog camera control in most games.

IMO Nintendo should have picked d-pad or dual analog right from the start, and stuck with it.

hakanakumono

Unlike the PSP, the 3DS has a touch screen, which delivers faster, more accurate control than an analog stick would ever dream of doing. Nintendo simply didn't see it worthy because they figured they have something better. I could say Nintendo is doing this because they realized their mistake, but that would be a reach considering the circumstances. Nintendo is not trying to get FPS on the 3DS, it's trying to get Monster Hunter. When the 3DS revision is revealed, then it will become obvious what this is: Fixing something Nintendo perceives as a mistake, or just your average add-on that will be used for one or two games (Guitar Hero for DS, Rumble Pak for Metroid Pinball, RAM attachment for DS browser, wireless device for Pokemon GBA, Wii Speak for Animal Crossing, and on and on).

No it doesn't.

Frankly, I would love it if more games would go like MP: H did with touch screen camera controls for FPS style games. I personally had no issue with that game playing it, and if more games made that work, I think it'd be fine. Then again, I can play FPS games on smartphones no problem too. It has a learning curve, but honestly if you're willing to open up to it, they aren't that bad. I think especially since we have smartphone gaming as competitive as it is, and the DS's long life, that devs have gotten much smarter about how to use the touch screen for gaming. I would rather have touch screen controls in a shooting game, since it's more fluid and responsive.
ultraking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#285 ultraking
I disagree. I've always had more fun playing them on my tv. Mh takes up a lot of time, and I don't want to be starring at a small screen for hours..But that's not gonna stop me from getting the vita version lol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#286 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
I disagree. I've always had more fun playing them on my tv. Mh takes up a lot of time, and I don't want to be starring at a small screen for hours..But that's not gonna stop me from getting the vita version lolultraking
Haha well, to each his own, I suppose
SpinoRaptor24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 143

#287 SpinoRaptor24
Member since 2008 • 10316 Posts
I myself have never played a MH game before, nor do I have the desire to but it's nice to see the 3DS picking up some steam.
Dibdibdobdobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#288 Dibdibdobdobo
Member since 2008 • 6683 Posts
Monster Hunter Tri G information ?!
skanjos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#289 skanjos
Member since 2006 • 647 Posts

monster hunter 4 is big news but fire emblem is teh win!!!

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#290 Willy105
Member since 2005 • 26119 Posts
Those upset that a full numbered sequel is coming to a handheld, you should get used to it, because Japan is moving to handheld gaming, and consoles will be the 'secondary option' for Japanese gaming. Dragon Quest 9 being DS exclusive, Smash Bros. being multiplatform for both Wii U and 3DS, and Monster Hunter 4 reveal as a 3DS game all shows how gaming in the country is going, and as a fan of handhelds, I am going YEEEAAAHHHH.

monster hunter 4 is big news but fire emblem is teh win!!!

skanjos
You bet.
minh800

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#292 minh800

[QUOTE="minh800"]

[QUOTE="charizard1605"] Well, the 3DS does quite a fair bit, but... Ah, whatever. I love the Vita for what it promises to bring, and I seriously hope it does very well too. Two competitive handhelds on the market are much much better than one dominating handheld, as the DS/PSP proved :Dcharizard1605

the Vita will find its own niche like the PSP eventually did.

You do know that niche ended up getting the most handheld support in the past two years, right?

minh800

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#293 minh800

Okay, so was anybody else really disappointed with everything shown about Fire Emblem?

Mario1331

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#294 Mario1331
Member since 2005 • 8929 Posts

[QUOTE="charizard1605"][QUOTE="minh800"] Oh yeah, I just want the Vita to succeed well enough so I can get more of what I loved on the PSP. I'm not worried about the 3DS sales wise. It should do well, hopefully not well enough to steal support.

minh800

the Vita will find its own niche like the PSP eventually did.

You do know that niche ended up getting the most handheld support in the past two years, right?

yea in japan its not existant in america, and it still got destroyed why do you constantly bring this up over and over again

minh800

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#295 minh800

[QUOTE="minh800"]

[QUOTE="charizard1605"] the Vita will find its own niche like the PSP eventually did.Mario1331

yea in japan its not existant in america, and it still got destroyed why do you constantly bring this up over and over again

Because those games are FAR from niche. They would have been brought to the West if it wasn't for piracy and the unpopularness of the system. Not to mention that the PSP STOLE support from the DS meaning that games for the "winning" handheld were never made to even have the chance to be localized.

Destroyed? I care about the library, and just like I never ONCE thought the Wii destroyed anything, I'll never think the DS destroyed anything either.

KevinPlanet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#296 KevinPlanet
Member since 2003 • 941 Posts

[QUOTE="minh800"]

[QUOTE="charizard1605"] the Vita will find its own niche like the PSP eventually did.Mario1331

Monster Hunter (the so-called biggest annoucement) is pretty much non-existant in the United States too...so whats your point?

gago-gago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#297 gago-gago
Member since 2009 • 12138 Posts

RIP Vita, hardly knew you. Maybe next time, again.

15strong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#298 15strong
Member since 2007 • 2806 Posts

Remeber what happened last time we were all excited for the 3DS. Yea... Didn't end too well.

catfishmoon23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#299 catfishmoon23
Member since 2005 • 5197 Posts

I'm hoping for more news on the OS in the Vita (i.e. will patches be small, will patches be able to be downloaded in the background, etc....). Vita has the games I want (Killzone, Resistance, LBP, Assassin's Creed, Uncharted, Sound shapes, Little Deviants, and Bioshock), and I hope Sony fixes the problems like that that are on PS3.

Also, unconfirmed reports are saying Nov. 12th release in Japan.

fabz_95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#300 fabz_95
Member since 2006 • 15425 Posts
Forgot about TGS, the new mario game looks very cool and MH4 is a big game for the 3DS.