• 57 results
Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll SW Rewind: revisiting the classic Sony flop, The Order 1886 (82 votes)

It's one of the worst flops ever. 44%
It's actually not that bad. 56%

On paper, The Order 1886 had a great selling point; third person steampunk game taking place in alternate history 1886 London featuring badass high tech gadgets, the Knights of the Round Table, and werewolves (even vampires too). The hype was building for a game that I think at the time was being compared to Uncharted, or at least a cooler version of it. But then the game launched, and it quickly became the stuff that Sony haters have come to call the "movie game". Lots of cut scenes, lots of walking around, and very linear gameplay. Oh, and the boss fight was an exact copy of the same boss fight that you had midgame. Now granted, the game did have some positives. It had pretty amazing graphics, and the gun mechanics were pretty fun (with some pretty intense shooting). So it wasn't all that terrible, but it did miss the mark.

So where do you stand on this game, SW? Did you try? Beat it? (it's pretty short) Throw it out the window? And most importantly, where does it stand as a flop in flop history?

Oh, and shout out to @cainetao11 who inspired this thread.

• 
Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#1 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69466 Posts

I couldn't deal with the frequency of cutscenes. It was just too much. If they make a sequel with more focus on the player at the cost of pushing the cinematic narrative, I will be all in. :)

Calvincfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2 Calvincfb
Member since 2018 • 0 Posts

Ryse exists and its MC score is even lower than The Order's. I couldn't care less about those games tbh, they're more like tech demos than anything.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#3  Edited By Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69466 Posts

@calvincfb said:

Ryse exists and its MC score is even lower than The Order's. I couldn't care less about those games tbh, they're more like tech demos than anything.

I made it through Ryse, couldn't make it through The Order. Anytime a game refuses to have meaningful interactions with a certain time frame my gameplay A.D.D kicks in. My most recent poison was Hellblade the movie. :)

Avatar image for deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#4 deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
Member since 2009 • 6278 Posts

The game was ok. Had cool mustaches.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

Enjoyed it on Youtube

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22374 Posts

@calvincfb: Who said anything about Ryse? Salty much? Lol.

And Ryse is the better game, because atleast there is actually gameplay.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d2876fd4204
deactivated-63d2876fd4204

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By deactivated-63d2876fd4204
Member since 2016 • 9129 Posts

The story was kinda neat, but you can tell it was rushed. The boss fights were beyond stupid, though. As for the visuals, the design was good but the film grain and motion blur were very aggressive. My favorite part about The Order 1886 were the resolution threads. Fighting with @tormentos and others about how the game wasn't native 1080p because of the black bars was pretty fun. That was one of the most creative goal post moves I've seen by cows on this board.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d2876fd4204
deactivated-63d2876fd4204

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-63d2876fd4204
Member since 2016 • 9129 Posts

@hrt_rulz01 said:

Very true. I got the platinum in The Order 1886 in under 6 hours I think. A single playthrough and then I had to redo the very beginning of a chapter to pick up a collectible I missed. Ryse had far better gameplay than The Order imo. I think Ryse got a bad rap for whatever reason. People killed the combat for the QTE/color cues, yet every 3rd person action game has used some sort of a variation since. I hate to be the conspiracy theorist here, but the gaming press kinda had it out for the Xbox One at launch. Ryse was better than The Order in every way...

Rockman999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Rockman999
Member since 2005 • 7507 Posts

The Order 1886 was a classic Sony flop?

Did ya kids forget about Lair? Or what about that shooter from Ubisoft with the drugged out super soldiers with black and yellow suits? Or MAG?

AlexxanderOzzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By AlexxanderOzzy
Member since 2018 • 12 Posts

A 6 out of 10 for me. I bought it for $6 during a PSN sale. I found it to be somewhat entertaining. The story was a little predictable, there was too many QTE prompts and too little shooting. But as a tech demo of sorts, I thought it was okay. Nowhere worth the initial $60 retail price. And yes, Ryse was better. I would give that Xbox launch title a 7 out of 10.

AlexxanderOzzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#11 AlexxanderOzzy
Member since 2018 • 12 Posts

@Rockman999: Very good point. Those three games you mentioned were probably worse than Order 1886.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 BenjaminBanklin  Online
Member since 2004 • 11086 Posts

Never played it. It just never really appealed to me.

Nike_Air

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Nike_Air
Member since 2006 • 19733 Posts

7/10. Would love to get a sequel. Scott Rohde and Shu Yoshida probably didn't greenlight it because people like Colin and Greg kept on excessively bashing it. It is one of the things I dislike about Sony this gen. They should have doubled-down on the IP and made it better. But hey , maybe they greenlit Spider-Man instead. Who knows.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14  Edited By Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

I was actually planning to replay it soon. I regret buying the $80 collectors edition but the game was solid. Great setting. Fun gameplay. I believe the game was initially said to be a co-op based game so it was a let down not to be able to roam that universe with a friend. Other than that though, I really enjoyed it.

ellos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ellos
Member since 2015 • 2532 Posts

It was actually shitty at everything but the game length focus was too much. I believe that controversy caused UC4 to be delayed and stretched out.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By lundy86_4  Online
Member since 2003 • 61481 Posts

Excellent setting with terrible cutscene-to-gameplay ratio, as well as being blurry as all Hell. A sequel based upon the setting, with how we've seen Sony studios grow... That would be great.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#17 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15914 Posts

Loved the game. Hope we gets a sequel cause damn world building in this game is so good! I dislike the american setting for next game if there is, should have stayed in london.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#18  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17806 Posts

The Blur: 1886 was a blurfest. So, it is all a blur to me now as it was back then. hehe ;)

Robbie23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Robbie23
Member since 2015 • 2078 Posts

I actually really enjoyed the order, however I only paid 10 bucks for the game. I do not mind cut scenes in games.

Robbie23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Robbie23
Member since 2015 • 2078 Posts

@Rockman999: I thought MAG was awesome.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

I'd give it an honest 6/10. A "fair". It's definitely NOT "good", but it's got redeeming qualities. Most notably, the world and gadgets hint at a good game that could have been. The biggest problem for me is it was so SO short, that literally every cool gadget was a one-off use and every cool location or hint of lore was also one-and-done. There was no opportunity to grow attached to the characters, or learn to use the gadgets, or decided to use them to tackle different problems, or...

shallow as puddle, but it had the right ingredients to be quite deep and engrossing. I hope they get another shot to do something way way way more involved with it.

ellos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ellos
Member since 2015 • 2532 Posts

@goldenelementxl said:
@hrt_rulz01 said:

Very true. I got the platinum in The Order 1886 in under 6 hours I think. A single playthrough and then I had to redo the very beginning of a chapter to pick up a collectible I missed. Ryse had far better gameplay than The Order imo. I think Ryse got a bad rap for whatever reason. People killed the combat for the QTE/color cues, yet every 3rd person action game has used some sort of a variation since. I hate to be the conspiracy theorist here, but the gaming press kinda had it out for the Xbox One at launch. Ryse was better than The Order in every way...

Nah it got average scores because it was an average cinematic combat game. Far more basic then even the basic combat games of today. At least the average games of today include some details for players to express themselves. The use of qte are not its problems. Did not invent or even popularize qte mechanics in any form this gen. Absolutely no cred should be given to it, not even close. I agree its a better game to play then The Order. Beatiful and you can actually enjoy the ride nothing wrong with that. There are other games to cry out xbox is a victim then Ryse IMO.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#23 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9397 Posts

I don't really care about game length. 4 hours is a good length, though maybe not for $60.

I never played it because the game play looked very flat. I was into the setting.

I always forget about this game when talking about PS4 exclusives. Maybe when the PS5 comes out and I can grab a digital copy for $5 I'll try it. Probably not though. Just doesn't seem like my thing in the game play dept.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ea0704839e9e
deactivated-5ea0704839e9e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-5ea0704839e9e
Member since 2017 • 2335 Posts

@pyro1245:

Its the slow walking around that can be tedious.

The shooting is on the much better side. It doesnt feel as light as most tps. It feels like it has weight or momentum to both the player character and ai. Its rather difficult to describe, but it has a pop to it. Better than Uncharted and Gears in this respect.

scatteh316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 scatteh316
Member since 2004 • 10273 Posts

A little short but I enjoyed it............ graphically it looks amazing with one of the most realistic lighting and PBR material systems ever put in to a game.

In fact, off the top of my head I can't think of a single game that has a more realistic PBR implementation.

scatteh316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By scatteh316

@hrt_rulz01 said:

Now is that you being a dumb ass fan boy or is that you having actually played both?

Because I've played both and that comment is retarded.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 hrt_rulz01

@scatteh316: Yes I have played both... and I had zero desire to finish The Order. Might as well just watch a movie.

And just because you disagree with it because it gets your fanboy panties in a bunch, doesn't mean it's "retarded".

scatteh316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 scatteh316

@hrt_rulz01 said:

@scatteh316: Yes I have played both... and I had zero desire to finish The Order. Might as well just watch a movie.

And just because you disagree with it because it gets your fanboy panties in a bunch, doesn't mean it's "retarded".

So you've had a quick 5 minutes on it.....hardly a good basis for an opinion...... I only played Odyssey for a short while and it was shit...... Horizion (which I completed) is the far superior game.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f4e2292197f1
deactivated-5f4e2292197f1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-5f4e2292197f1
Member since 2015 • 1374 Posts

I went to GS to buy Uncharted 4 for $10, but it was 4 for $20, and only thing I could find worth a damn was 1886, Division and Yooka.

So I figured $5 each. For that cost, it was fine, but I get why people thought it was a bust, and obviously not in same realm as later PS4 exclusives.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 hrt_rulz01

@scatteh316: You have no idea how long I played it for... But hey, whatever makes you feel better.

And as for Odyssey and Horizon, good for you. I couldn't care less :)

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#32 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46280 Posts

I enjoyed both Ryse and The Order. I've played far worse launch games.

nethernova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 nethernova
Member since 2008 • 5721 Posts

@goldenelementxl said:

People killed the combat for the QTE/color cues, yet every 3rd person action game has used some sort of a variation since.

The difference being that QTEs in Ryse were completely pointless. You couldn't fail them. Even if you didn't press a button at all you killed the enemy.

Raining51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Raining51
Member since 2016 • 1162 Posts

@Pedro said:

I couldn't deal with the frequency of cutscenes. It was just too much. If they make a sequel with more focus on the player at the cost of pushing the cinematic narrative, I will be all in. :)

inggrish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#35 inggrish
Member since 2005 • 10502 Posts

I really enjoyed it. I admittedly went in with tempered expectations but it delivered. The story was great, and the gameplay solid.

It is flawed, and its far from a goty, but I enjoyed what I played

Calvincfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Calvincfb

@hrt_rulz01 said:

You missed my point entirely.

Both games were hyped then flopped.

Both are bad games, but they're more like tech demos than games.

Still, The Order sold more and has a higher MC than Ryse.

I have a ps4, a switch and a 3ds, unlike you, sad xbox owned, I have games available to play, I'm not salty.

Next time, think before you write so you can spare yourself from some ownage.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 hrt_rulz01

@calvincfb: Lmao... this is the dumbest post I've read on here in a while. Congrats.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#38 Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20104 Posts

I didn't like the film grain. I hate film grain in games.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#39 Willy105
Member since 2005 • 26098 Posts

It's a forgettable release, like most of Sony's 1st party games that aren't Naughty Dog.

Calvincfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Calvincfb

@hrt_rulz01 said:

@calvincfb: Lmao... this is the dumbest post I've read on here in a while. Congrats.

Comeback with a good counterpoint to what I said, stay owned till then.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 hrt_rulz01

@calvincfb said:
@hrt_rulz01 said:

It doesn't deserve a good counterpoint... if you don't know why, then that says it all.

Have a nice day :)

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#42 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10436 Posts
@Pedro said:

I couldn't deal with the frequency of cutscenes. It was just too much.

yeah same.

it was choc full of mechanics and cliches that i hate in gaming. constantly wrestling control from the player. qte central. hand holding. ultra linearity. limited mechanics. "interactive" cut scenes.

returned to it a year later to see if i was being unfair initially. i wasn't. disliked it more second time round

Calvincfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Calvincfb

@hrt_rulz01 said:
@calvincfb said:
@hrt_rulz01 said:

It doesn't deserve a good counterpoint... if you don't know why, then that says it all.

Have a nice day :)

I do know why: because you're a sad owned lem. lmao

pdogg93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 pdogg93
Member since 2015 • 1849 Posts

I enjoyed this game for what it was. Worth $5 to me

R-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By R-Gamer
Member since 2019 • 2221 Posts

I actually really enjoyed it. It wasn't perfect but I would have liked to see a sequel.

ButDuuude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By ButDuuude
Member since 2013 • 1907 Posts

Both have nice graphics and mediocre gameplay. I played The Order 1886 the most and got the platinum trophy for it and Ryse I didn’t even finish it.

Avatar image for princessgomez92
PrincessGomez92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

#47 PrincessGomez92
Member since 2013 • 5747 Posts

I actually enjoyed it a lot and beat it a couple times. It had its issues, but I thought the story was great and the gameplay was solid, and I loved the setting and atmosphere. I'd give it like an 8.

Fuhrer_D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Fuhrer_D
Member since 2011 • 1125 Posts

I was off work sick the day if came out; so I watched the whole thing on Twitch, decent, but I wouldn't have been happy paying for it.

Wiiboxstation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#49 Wiiboxstation
Member since 2014 • 1753 Posts

18.86 should have been the price.

It flopped for the price. 60 bucks and like 3 hours of gameplay.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8470 Posts

@goldenelementxl said:

The story was kinda neat, but you can tell it was rushed. The boss fights were beyond stupid, though. As for the visuals, the design was good but the film grain and motion blur were very aggressive. My favorite part about The Order 1886 were the resolution threads. Fighting with @tormentos and others about how the game wasn't native 1080p because of the black bars was pretty fun. That was one of the most creative goal post moves I've seen by cows on this board.

Ummm....you serious? Unless you're talking about the idea or setting I don't see how story was even remotely 'neat'.