SW Rewind: revisiting the classic Sony flop, The Order 1886

• 57 results
Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
Posted by SolidGame_basic (24277 posts) 18 days, 1 hour ago

Poll: SW Rewind: revisiting the classic Sony flop, The Order 1886 (82 votes)

It's one of the worst flops ever. 44%
It's actually not that bad. 56%

On paper, The Order 1886 had a great selling point; third person steampunk game taking place in alternate history 1886 London featuring badass high tech gadgets, the Knights of the Round Table, and werewolves (even vampires too). The hype was building for a game that I think at the time was being compared to Uncharted, or at least a cooler version of it. But then the game launched, and it quickly became the stuff that Sony haters have come to call the "movie game". Lots of cut scenes, lots of walking around, and very linear gameplay. Oh, and the boss fight was an exact copy of the same boss fight that you had midgame. Now granted, the game did have some positives. It had pretty amazing graphics, and the gun mechanics were pretty fun (with some pretty intense shooting). So it wasn't all that terrible, but it did miss the mark.

So where do you stand on this game, SW? Did you try? Beat it? (it's pretty short) Throw it out the window? And most importantly, where does it stand as a flop in flop history?

Oh, and shout out to @cainetao11 who inspired this thread.

#51 Posted by PC_Rocks (2502 posts) -

Unfortunately professional critics will never do a review a game deserves like this:

Loading Video...

#52 Edited by 2Chalupas (7084 posts) -

@princessgomez92 said:

I actually enjoyed it a lot and beat it a couple times. It had its issues, but I thought the story was great and the gameplay was solid, and I loved the setting and atmosphere. I'd give it like an 8.

Quality wise it was solid. But it was super short and linear. It has to be penalized heavily for that.

As a $59.99 retail game, it was probably like a 4/10. But for those of us that got it after it flopped, and only paid like $5, then yeah, it could be an easy 8/10 when looking in that context. It was a pretty cool IP with potential, but i doubt they ever go back to it.

#53 Posted by Raining51 (1124 posts) -

Ok honestly I thought this game had massive potential.

#55 Edited by getyeryayasout (12343 posts) -

It's like Peter Moore said, there are no bad games, just bad prices.

I rented it for around $7.00, and didn't feel ripped off at all. Had an alright time, even got the easy as pie platinum.

Sure am glad I didn't drop $60 on it, though.

I just finished Ryse Son of Rome over the past weekend. That game reminded me of The Order. Repetitive, piss easy, short (both 5 hours). Tech demos designed to show off the graphics potential of their new machines.

Both blurry as hell, too.

#56 Edited by verbtex (9155 posts) -

I picked it up in a bargain bin a few weeks ago, as a used copy.

I'll just say I'm glad I didn't pay full price for it.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
#57 Posted by Bread_or_Decide (29128 posts) -

@calvincfb said:

Ryse exists and its MC score is even lower than The Order's. I couldn't care less about those games tbh, they're more like tech demos than anything.

Nobody was talking about Ryse. Insecure sony fan much?

#58 Posted by Calvincfb (0 posts) -

@Bread_or_Decide said:
@calvincfb said:

Ryse exists and its MC score is even lower than The Order's. I couldn't care less about those games tbh, they're more like tech demos than anything.

Nobody was talking about Ryse. Insecure sony fan much?

Already answered that, if you bothered to read the thread.

Also, not a sony fan, try again.