Step aside Tenchu, Ghost of Tsushima is getting hype then ever!

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#201 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 38854 Posts

Decided to skip on the game. Gameplay loop seems way way waaay too repetitive.

I do not want to take 1000 camps. I do not want to stalk a guy or a group of enemies. I do not want to investigate blood stains. I do not want to to follow a fox or a bird 102931 times so it guides me to collect flowers or praying at a shrine. All of this shit is what's wrong with open world games.

Please Lord Miyasaki, for the love of f*ck, show these clueless developers how its done. Only Elden Ring and CP2077 have a chance of doing it right.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#202  Edited By MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17658 Posts

@jeezers said:

I almost picked this game up, but saw Sekiro is 40 bucks now and got that instead.

For those who have played both should i have gotten GoT instead?

I disliked Sekiro, but I sucked at it so take that into account.

Sekiro is much more linear whereas Ghost is open-world. Depends on taste, but Ghosts is the far more enjoyable game for me so far. Completely different type of experience.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#203 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61486 Posts

I want the Special Edition, but can I find it online? **** no! Suuuuuuuuucks.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#204 MirkoS77

I think this is in the running for my favorite game of all time, and definitely in my top five. It keeps getting better and better and better. I can't praise it enough, what a pleasant surprise to the end of the gen.

Avatar image for ___gamemaster__
___gamemaster__

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#205 ___gamemaster__
Member since 2009 • 3348 Posts

@MirkoS77: its getting there for sure. i didnt like SP game before so im quite hesistant to pick this up. but since i love japanese samurai themed game, i cant resist it and bought. this game is awesome.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#206 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24925 Posts

I can say this probably most interesting sony exclusive so far. And thats not saying much.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#207  Edited By SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45122 Posts

@ghosts4ever said:

I can say this probably most interesting sony exclusive so far. And thats not saying much.

Anything you say is not saying much 😂 j/k

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#208  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34616 Posts

@jeezers said:

I almost picked this game up, but saw Sekiro is 40 bucks now and got that instead.

I haven't played both, but Sekiro is awesome.

GoT is open world and probably suffer from the same things most open world games do, such as hundreds of repetitive objectives, some premade story you don't care about or fits your actions, uninspired sidequests, pointless collectables, etc.

Sekiro is linear and solid all the way through. Both games seem to have a fun combat system, but I'm willing to bet my left testicle that Sekiro is the better game. Hope you're fine with games being hard, Sekiro's harder than Dark Souls imo.

More of a casual gamer? GoT is probably a better choice than Sekiro, just like The Last Jedi is baby's first Dark Souls.

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#209 KvallyX
Member since 2019 • 12963 Posts

@Ballroompirate said:

@x_hedon: And lol

Exactly, LOL

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#210  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56115 Posts

@MirkoS77: Keep in mind there's no New Game+ after you beat it and make sure you do everything on the first island cause you won't be back for a long time.

@Litchie said:
@jeezers said:

GoT is open world and probably suffer from the same things most open world games do, such as hundreds of repetitive objectives, some premade story you don't care about or fits your actions, uninspired sidequests, pointless collectables, etc.

Sekiro is linear and solid all the way through. Both games seem to have a fun combat system, but I'm willing to bet my left testicle that Sekiro is the better game. Hope you're fine with games being hard, Sekiro's harder than Dark Souls imo.

More of a casual gamer? GoT is probably a better choice than Sekiro, just like The Last Jedi is baby's first Dark Souls.

I played both (but still playing GoT) and I'll say this. Both games aren't comparable, two different types of games. Nioh isn't even comparable to this game and only thing they have in common is Japanese setting. But if you are serious comparing Sekiro & GoT, Sekiro is more limited than GoT. You do have prosthetic tools and combat arts to switch things up, but not by much. GoT has different stances, Ghost tools, Samurai tools, and battles are mob focused. It's also much more varied in gameplay. I had an arrow build using the mythical arrow outfit, a charm for fast reload, (which stacks with the outfit) a charm for increased arrow damage, and maxed concentration. I was taking out mobs Legolas (Lord of the Rings) style lol.

jeezers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#211 jeezers
Member since 2007 • 5341 Posts

@Litchie said:
@jeezers said:

Yeah its kicking my ass some but its clean, really like the parry system and movement in this game compared to darksouls, i find dark souls more difficult tbh, prefer the movement in sekiro so far. Finally some speed! Always felt dark souls was too slow

Star67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#212 Star67
Member since 2005 • 5168 Posts

I am in love with this game, I haven't been in "awe" from a game in a while. It's quickly becoming my Game of the Gen and one of my favorites of all time!

DO NOT let the GS score fool you or keep you from playing this game. It's good. If you're still on the fence about it, wait for a holiday sale, but do yourself a favor and play this

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#213  Edited By MirkoS77

@___gamemaster__: its getting there for sure. i didnt like SP game before so im quite hesistant to pick this up. but since i love japanese samurai themed game, i cant resist it and bought. this game is awesome.

I wasn't a fan of Sucker Punch before this either, tbh I found the Infamous games uninspired and B tier. Now this studio is up there with my favorites. No doubt the theme and period are playing into my enjoyment of this, but it's like my Samurai dream game come to realization. This is dripping at all times with nods to fans in living out their fantasies.

@davillain-: Keep in mind there's no New Game+ after you beat it and make sure you do everything on the first island cause you won't be back for a long time.

What do you mean? I'm in Act II and can fast travel back to the first part. Or you mean there's more than the three partitions?

This map is enormous, I've not even begun to explore the upper half and am already at 35+ hours in. This is going to take me close to one hundred hours to see everything I wager. Course it doesn't help that I'm walking and trotting everywhere because bosses don't run or gallop anywhere. Simply walking through the world is an immense pleasure in this.

@Star67: DO NOT let the GS score fool you or keep you from playing this game. It's good. If you're still on the fence about it, wait for a holiday sale, but do yourself a favor and play this

Seriously. The scores are a disservice, and people are really missing out if they pass this up because of GS's critique. No way this is a 7 game.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#214 MirkoS77

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#216 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

this is game of the gen for otakus

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#217 MirkoS77

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#218 DaVillain  Moderator

I gotta admit, Ghost of Tsushima has me so unbelievably hooked! It just hits all the marks for an all round amazing game. I am like 21 hours in and still in the first island. Just doing all the quests, finding all the "?" marks, exploring, etc...

This is my 2020 GOTY so far, and this is clearly a sleeper hit for Sony & Sucker Punch. I haven't had this much fun since like Skyrim & Witcher 3 days to be honest.

I think Tsushima is greater than the sum of its parts in terms of visuals. It can be gorgeous through the use of style and lighting, but individual assets, like some textures, can be mediocre on their own. I think what sets it apart is how cohesive everything feels. The game world as a whole feels like it all fits together and elevates the experience as well as visuals.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#219 SolidGame_basic

@davillain- said:

I gotta admit, Ghost of Tsushima has me so unbelievably hooked! It just hits all the marks for an all round amazing game. I am like 21 hours in and still in the first island. Just doing all the quests, finding all the "?" marks, exploring, etc...

This is my 2020 GOTY so far, and this is clearly a sleeper hit for Sony & Sucker Punch. I haven't had this much fun since like Skyrim & Witcher 3 days to be honest.

I think Tsushima is greater than the sum of its parts in terms of visuals. It can be gorgeous through the use of style and lighting, but individual assets, like some textures, can be mediocre on their own. I think what sets it apart is how cohesive everything feels. The game world as a whole feels like it all fits together and elevates the experience as well as visuals.

I can't find a physical copy in my area 😢

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#220 DaVillain  Moderator

@SolidGame_basic: Get it on digital? That's seems to be the only way.

Star67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#221 Star67

@SolidGame_basic: Luckily I got my physical copy, but a lot of stores in my area seem to be sold out of it. A good sign for Sucker Punch!

@davillain-:Yes! Exactly how I feel!

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#222 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

Ugh you guys are getting me so stoked for this. I need to finish some games first...

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#223  Edited By MirkoS77

@davillain- said:

I hear that, this game has me addicted like crack. It's one of those "just one more mission" games. Just a tip: you may want to pursue some of the main quests as they are the ones that give you better abilities that make the side-quests all the more enjoyable. Also, if you haven't already: get the charm that makes the parry window more lenient, it greatly increases the enjoyment of fights. Perfect parry is too hard to pull off IMO.

As for the visuals, this is a strange one. I tend to agree.....it can look nigh last gen in terms of individual assets (most notably the water), but given the right condition and combination it can look almost next gen. This game proves how important art style is to an overall pleasing visual experience.

Oh, and I found my final armor. Kensei:

I love all the armor designs in this, the use of color, the accouterments. Best I've seen since Witcher III.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#224 deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
Member since 2009 • 6278 Posts

I was expecting to love this game but playing it I'm kinda struggling not to hate it. OK I'm exaggerating, I'm struggling to shake this overwhelming feeling that everything in it feels terribly mundane and average. Still hoping that the game finally clicks and things start to flow for me.

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#225 Gifford38
Member since 2020 • 7165 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:
@davillain- said:

I can't find a physical copy in my area 😢

me to lol. it sucks i might wait for my ps5 to play this.

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#226 Gifford38
Member since 2020 • 7165 Posts
@davillain- said:

@SolidGame_basic: Get it on digital? That's seems to be the only way.

with digital though your load times are longer. that is why i like physical copies. my days gone digital takes so long to load.

which i did not know until i watched the ps5 deep dive video lol.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#227 DaVillain  Moderator

@gifford38: I haven't experience loading time delays despite I die in the game, the load isn't long and its like 5/10 seconds what I experience so far.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#228  Edited By SolidGame_basic

Ohhh snap, Best Buy has physical copies. In-Store Pick Up Order complete!!

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#229  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58979 Posts

@phbz said:

I was expecting to love this game but playing it I'm kinda struggling not to hate it. OK I'm exaggerating, I'm struggling to shake this overwhelming feeling that everything in it feels terribly mundane and average. Still hoping that the game finally clicks and things start to flow for me.

Yea. Was kinda of an auto-buy buy think gonna hold off now.

The word "Assassins Creed" has popped up to many times, and Jim Sterling likes it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#230 deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

Finally getting over my gripes with the game. Combat isn't as good as I wished, same for exploration. Took me sometime to adjust. It's a clumsy game, getting on its own way all the time.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#231 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 38854 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:
@phbz said:

Yea. Was kinda of an auto-buy buy think gonna hold off now.

The word "Assassins Creed" has popped up to many times, and Jim Sterling likes it.

Pretty much exactly what i expected from the game. Only an rpg can add some depth to open world games, and make em interesting (and even then, most of them fail at it). All these 'capture camps to unlock skills on your character' games shouldn't even have an open world structure. Open world adds nothing to something with a flawed core gameplay mechanic.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#232 deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

@hardwenzen: For people who love exploration, like myself, open world games are great. And exploration rewarding in itself.

The world's level design is good but doesn't favour free roaming exploration as I was expecting from their PR talks. You still have to rely on a map with question marks, and to make things sillier some of this question marks are for supposedly "emergent" situations. Then animations while you're exploring can get iffy. But simple stuff like using the wind to guide you work really well allowing you to be more immersed in the world.

Then Quest structures are horrible, killing the game's pace by making chapters super short. Like, talk 1 minute, walk 1 minute, fight 1 minute, talk 1 minute again and "meet me at X point to progress a bit more and repeat previous steps". It's a shame because quests are actually cool but badly structured.

Combat, again, it's good. But being a samurai game the decision of not having a lock system in place makes the combat feel too loose/arcady. And generally the danger comes from the mob nature of enemies instead of from each individual. It's better than AC but it lacks the weight and solemnity of Sekiro.

I'm enjoying it. Best Sony open world game imo. But you are constantly being assaulted by weird design decisions.

Star67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#233 Star67

To all of those having a hard time finding a copy:

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2020-07-23-playstation-warns-of-ghost-os-tsushima-stock-shortages-in-japan

Looks like the game is selling well in Japan!

I had a hard time finding it at my local target, had to go to walmart

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#234 SolidGame_basic

@Star67 said:

To all of those having a hard time finding a copy:

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2020-07-23-playstation-warns-of-ghost-os-tsushima-stock-shortages-in-japan

Looks like the game is selling well in Japan!

I had a hard time finding it at my local target, had to go to walmart

Well damn, a game about Japanese history should sell well in Japan.

Star67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#235 Star67

@SolidGame_basic: I feel I read somewhere stating that Sony was unsure how popular the game would be in Japan, stating it doesn't "fit" current gaming trends in Japan (Open World WRPG is more of a Western market trend)