Step aside Tenchu, Ghost of Tsushima is getting hype then ever!

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44071 Posts

@phlop_spencer said:

@SecretPolice: gears 5 has an 84 meta. It’s not legendary, it’s pretty good. That’s it

Yeah but everyone knows a reviewer always starts out a Xbox game at a max high score of 90 in mind even before they've played it and the score goes down from there unless it's perfect so just saying. lol

Just messing around, enjoy the game. :)

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#52 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56115 Posts

@virusvaccine21 said:

I'm honestly not surprised at all, and called it when I saw the E3 demo. It looks like a good game, nothing else. Suckerpunk aren't exactly Naughty Dog level in terms of being a dev.

I don't enjoy open-world games so this is a pass for me. Still, with stuff like Dreams, TLOU2, FF:7 remake and this... Sony went out with a bang. Excellent year for them.

I hear ya, I never consider Sucker Punch to be the elite developers among Sony's crew.

However, as much as I had issues with The Last Of Us 2’s narrative, it was an American story told by Americans, and it had a thematic and tonal resonance as such. It was consistent and uncompromised. Ghost of Tsushima by contrast is a wild-misfire with every narrative element it attempts, and it boils down to this: Sucker Punch decided to do a historical epic inspired by Kurosawa… and produced something that fails as both history and as a pastiche of Kurosawa.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#53 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58979 Posts

@Planeforger said:

Wait, people are surprised by the review?

I've been calling this for months. They're a B-tier developer. This was never going to score 9s.

It's almost at it on the Metacritic, but then open-world games tend to get more huff and puff than they deserve for having "lots" rather than "good".

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 Gifford38
Member since 2020 • 7165 Posts

@davillain- said:
@virusvaccine21 said:

I'm honestly not surprised at all, and called it when I saw the E3 demo. It looks like a good game, nothing else. Suckerpunk aren't exactly Naughty Dog level in terms of being a dev.

I don't enjoy open-world games so this is a pass for me. Still, with stuff like Dreams, TLOU2, FF:7 remake and this... Sony went out with a bang. Excellent year for them.

I hear ya, I never consider Sucker Punch to be the elite developers among Sony's crew.

However, as much as I had issues with The Last Of Us 2’s narrative, it was an American story told by Americans, and it had a thematic and tonal resonance as such. It was consistent and uncompromised. Ghost of Tsushima by contrast is a wild-misfire with every narrative element it attempts, and it boils down to this: Sucker Punch decided to do a historical epic inspired by Kurosawa… and produced something that fails as both history and as a pastiche of Kurosawa.

You call any were from 7-9 scores from games sites a failed attempted?

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By Gifford38

how can the 84 on Metacritic be even remotely correct when the game comes out three days. how can these people beat the game and get there hands on it 3 days before they release it?

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 DaVillain  Moderator

@gifford38: No, a 7 is still a great score but I was going for 8. Either way, I'm hype to play it day one and waiting for my pre-download to start.

Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#57 Nonstop-Madness
Member since 2008 • 12304 Posts

@gifford38 said:

how can the 84 on Metacritic be even remotely correct when the game comes out three days. how can these people beat the game and get there hands on it 3 days before they release it?

Reviewers are given the game weeks before release.

They can't share their reviews until the embargo ends which happened this morning.

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 Fedor
Member since 2015 • 11612 Posts

@gifford38 said:

You don't know what review copies are???

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 Gifford38

@fedor said:
@gifford38 said:

You don't know what review copies are???

yes but i thought only game sites are allowed review copies thats all. but someone already answered my question.

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 Gifford38
@Nonstop-Madness said:
@gifford38 said:

Reviewers are given the game weeks before release.

They can't share their reviews until the embargo ends which happened this morning.

ok i thought only game sites get reviewed copies. I want to be a reviewer then if i can get my games early lol.

Phlop_Spencer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 Phlop_Spencer
Member since 2020 • 1476 Posts

@gifford38: bro you think reviewers get the game at the same time as everyone else? Lol

mave198

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 mave198
Member since 2004 • 7332 Posts

Was expecting a 8/10.

And Sony ends this gen with a highly decisive title and a solid new IP.

That's more than the filthy lemmings can say about the Xbone.

TLHBO

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 DaVillain  Moderator

@gifford38 said:

Just as everyone said, reviewers have gotten their copies like last week or 2 to start playing while developing there reviews what they say and wait until the embargo is lift to release the reviews and post the Metascore. The game doesn't have MP which is why they're able to release it earlier without the MP involve.

Star67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#64  Edited By Star67
Member since 2005 • 5168 Posts

These GS reviews are getting a little out of hand with their critiques, they even contradict themselves in the review.

"At times, it almost feels as if art direction is trying a little bit too hard to draw attention to itself. And Ghost of Tsushima certainly makes a concerted effort to try and absorb you into its radiant world even further with its deliberate lack of navigational information. There's no option for an on-screen minimap or a compass to see which way you're going, and objective markers are barely there. Instead, the game features an in-world device called Guiding Wind"

"It's a great system. Without anything to draw your eyes away from your character and the world, the Guiding Wind pushes you to pay more attention to your surroundings, to let you more quickly internalise key landmarks that help you to get your bearings more easily later on, or just to feast your eyes"

I'm getting tired of all the snarky, backhanded remarks in GS reviews, Is the nav system good? Or is it a try hard? Make up your mind. Plus the bamboo tree thing as a negative is just stupid.

Edit*

Wow just read the IGN review, and the differences go beyond just reviewer opinion, the IGN review was more in depth, written better, and went over more aspects of the game.

GS needs better writers.......it's starting to show how bad they are compared to their piers

Caj1986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#66 Caj1986
Member since 2015 • 399 Posts

7 for ghost of tsushima, honestly not bad for a new Ip. People should stop believing always in ratings and give games generally a try. not boasting but im a pc gamer primarily but this game definitely looks interesting to me

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11125 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

Think this will be an ok game, not amazing, fairly average, bolstered in appeal by it's setting.

That's what I garnered from the Eurogamer video review. Ok gameplay mechanics, average and cookie-cutter open world implementation, and gorgeous Japanese setting.

Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 deactivated-60bf765068a74
Member since 2007 • 9558 Posts

its still way better than all the games on xbox one. I mean crackdown and sea of trash vs this its easy choice really.

speedytimsi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 speedytimsi
Member since 2003 • 1415 Posts
Loading Video...

VirusVaccine21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 VirusVaccine21
Member since 2020 • 748 Posts

@Star67 said:

These GS reviews are getting a little out of hand with their critiques, they even contradict themselves in the review.

"At times, it almost feels as if art direction is trying a little bit too hard to draw attention to itself. And Ghost of Tsushima certainly makes a concerted effort to try and absorb you into its radiant world even further with its deliberate lack of navigational information. There's no option for an on-screen minimap or a compass to see which way you're going, and objective markers are barely there. Instead, the game features an in-world device called Guiding Wind"

"It's a great system. Without anything to draw your eyes away from your character and the world, the Guiding Wind pushes you to pay more attention to your surroundings, to let you more quickly internalise key landmarks that help you to get your bearings more easily later on, or just to feast your eyes"

I'm getting tired of all the snarky, backhanded remarks in GS reviews, Is the nav system good? Or is it a try hard? Make up your mind. Plus the bamboo tree thing as a negative is just stupid.

Honestly, I find Gamespot review to be the worst. Forget the scores, but the actual content. This happened when they started to outsource their reviews. For example the criticized the Mad Max game for being unrealistic and allowing you to carry too many items on the inventory. I mean, the hell? In GTA you can carry like 8 guns, including a bazooka. Or Skyrim where you have like dozens of weapons.

Bluestars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By Bluestars
Member since 2019 • 2789 Posts

7/10

Poor cows who live by the scores...just died by the scores

Bu bu bu meta......NO

HaH sea of thieves kicks its ass

Good job i have my own opinion

HaH

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#72 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18252 Posts

Flop !!!!!!

Man i knew it would flop but not as bad as it did ... a 7 ??? you mean Divisive Druckman 2 and Amazon Sim scored better than this game ??? wow ... just wow ...

Star67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#73 Star67
Member since 2005 • 5168 Posts

@virusvaccine21: wow didn't know they outsourced reviews, I felt like some past reviews I read felt more like movie reviews.

I don't think some of these reviewers know how to review games

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#74  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

SONY PAID FOR THERE REVIEWS OMG ALL REVIEWS ARE BOT 8S OR BETTER NO WAIT SCORES TOO LOW STUPID SJWS!

In all seriousness, the review here looks about right from everything we've seen and what Edmund describes. Don't care about the numbers, but the pros and cons in the text all make sense

*edit* one complaint I will make, though - "no option for a minimap" is a fine complaint, especially since he's asking for an option, not mandatory use of one, but I'm glad there isn't one, personally. Super glad.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#75  Edited By deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
Member since 2009 • 6278 Posts

@gifford38: Please be honest, which planet you come from?

Phlop_Spencer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 Phlop_Spencer

@bluestars: sea of thieves has a 69 meta. Are you high or something?

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46309 Posts

@xantufrog said:

SONY PAID FOR THERE REVIEWS OMG ALL REVIEWS ARE BOT 8S OR BETTER NO WAIT SCORES TOO LOW STUPID SJWS!

In all seriousness, the review here looks about right from everything we've seen and what Edmund describes. Don't care about the numbers, but the pros and cons in the text all make sense

*edit* one complaint I will make, though - "no option for a minimap" is a fine complaint, especially since he's asking for an option, not mandatory use of one, but I'm glad there isn't one, personally. Super glad.

Yeah I'm glad the game is mixing it up by making smart use of the environment to guide you to your next quest or qide activity.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#78 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

@R4gn4r0k: totally. I think the wind mechanic is clever. The only thing I'd suggest is making it not a button action, but just something that happens in the environment - a bit more of a mystical cue from nature than you having a super power (I know, both "not real")

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 Gifford38

@phbz said:

@gifford38: Please be honest, which planet you come from?

Why what did i say that makes you think that? sorry i didn't know review copies was handed out to others that are not from game sites.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#80 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9399 Posts

7/10 ain't bad. I'm not too concerned about the voice-over stuff. Way more immersion-breaking is the fact that bamboo exists within the game that cannot be cut down.

Bluestars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 Bluestars

@phlop_spencer:

Bu bu bu meta HaH

Here at GS it’s an 8.....GOT is 7

Live by the scores,die by the scores

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#82 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

well, sounds pretty boring. Might play is eventually but certainly not at the top of my 'buy now' list

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 Gifford38

@phlop_spencer said:

@gifford38: bro you think reviewers get the game at the same time as everyone else? Lol

yeah i did lol. thought sony or xbox didn't want people to review it until it was out just in case it was a bad scoring game = less sales.

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#84 KvallyX
Member since 2019 • 12963 Posts

Damn, another flop. :(

Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 Nonstop-Madness
@bluestars said:

@phlop_spencer:

Bu bu bu meta HaH

Here at GS it’s an 8.....GOT is 7

Live by the scores,die by the scores

I mean, it also took them an additional two years and, 17 expansions to get that 8 / 10. lol

Bluestars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 Bluestars

@Nonstop-Madness:

Ghosts got 2 years to make it a nine

HaH

Phlop_Spencer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 Phlop_Spencer

@x_hedon: guess that would mean the entire Xbox library is a flop

Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 Nonstop-Madness

@bluestars said:

@Nonstop-Madness:

Ghosts got 2 years to make it a nine

HaH

Actually, it took like 5 years to make the game; it's not easy making a new AAA IP.

Avatar image for deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#89 deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
Member since 2007 • 7339 Posts

Can't wait for my special ed to arrive.

2mrw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#90 2mrw
Member since 2008 • 6205 Posts

I would have rathered to see another infamous

Sucker punch are great developers, and possibly that's why I might give this a try despite how boring this game looks

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46309 Posts

@xantufrog said:

@R4gn4r0k: totally. I think the wind mechanic is clever. The only thing I'd suggest is making it not a button action, but just something that happens in the environment - a bit more of a mystical cue from nature than you having a super power (I know, both "not real")

Yup, making it more organic.

Like just walking in the environment and sometimes the wind will pop up and give subtle clues on where to go next.

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#92  Edited By KvallyX
Member since 2019 • 12963 Posts

@phlop_spencer said:

Yup, I guess so! Sad to see PS has now fallen to the bowels of game hell with flopping games.

Edit: holy hell, the damage control you are doing in this thread his hilarious! I just read through all your comments. I have to ask, when you make love to your Sony piece of plastic, do you at least wear protection?

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

A flop by GS standards. Oh well, I've liked all the inFamous games, we'll see. They also rated TLOU 2 a point lower than I.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#94 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69492 Posts

This game was outscored by Sea of Thieves on this site. 😎

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8472 Posts

Comparing this shi* to Tenchu...

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 Gifford38

@x_hedon said:
@phlop_spencer said:

Yup, I guess so! Sad to see PS has now fallen to the bowels of game hell with flopping games.

Edit: holy hell, the damage control you are doing in this thread his hilarious! I just read through all your comments. I have to ask, when you make love to your Sony piece of plastic, do you at least wear protection?

damage controlling? every xbox fan in here is calling it a flop. when 90% of xbox exclusives are 7 or under. so yes for xbox fans calling this a flop should look at there own games. fact is sony killed it this gen creating exclusive single player games. no matter what the fanboys say.

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 Gifford38

@hardwenzen said:

Another AssCreed as i predicted 🙃🙃🙃

7/10

Rote open-world quest structures often feel dull

you don't have to any of it in ghost. you are not forced to grind in the game for the ones that just want to play story you can. your leveling is done by completing the story not how much you grind.

Sagemode87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 Sagemode87
Member since 2013 • 3416 Posts

@Pedro: Man, these forums are just delusional trolling now. Let's look at the metacritic scores. We all know the only site that matters to casuals is IGN. The game will go well, that's all that matters. The fact that you have to resort to Sea of Thieves to attempt any kind of ownage is very telling of the Xbox library 🤣

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#99 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 38854 Posts

@gifford38 said:
@hardwenzen said:

Another AssCreed as i predicted 🙃🙃🙃

7/10

Rote open-world quest structures often feel dull

you don't have to any of it in ghost. you are not forced to grind in the game for the ones that just want to play story you can. your leveling is done by completing the story not how much you grind.

i know, but that grind feature is new to the asscreed series which was introduced in the last asscreed? so when i say its on par with asscreed, i'm more referring to how bland everything feels, not the brand new grindy shit feature that was introduced into the series to lure zoomers into their cash shop.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator

A general agreement between reviews I read so far is that "going in stealth mode" is a weak aspect but then again, Samurais are not Ninjas. Helps make my decision of prioritizing the Samurai gameplay first I suppose, so I won't be going AC mode.

@xantufrog said:

Seems pretty clear that GoT is solid, just doesn't really do much of anything new or innovative. Following the wind current is all Sucker Punch can come up.