Sony CEO: Playstation's Future is on PC, Mobile, and Cloud.

• 121 results
dabear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 dabear
Member since 2002 • 8854 Posts

Looks like Sony is conceding that MS's strategy is, in fact, correct.

In a recent interview, CEO Kenichiro Yoshida talked about the future of gaming and Playstation:

“It will be ubiquitous,” Yoshida said. “Wherever there is computing, users will be able to play their favorite games seamlessly. Why PlayStation will remain our core product [is] we will expand our gaming experiences to PC, mobile, and cloud.”

He did go on to mention that he isn't too sold on subscription models, saying “People usually play one game at a time,” he said, “so ‘all you can eat’ type of [subscriptions] may not be so valuable compared with video streaming services.”

So, there you have it. Seems like Sony is just going to follow MS and put PS games on "everything they can".

Thoughts? Is this just making PC truly the best place to game?

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#2  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44566 Posts

Pointless without a unified ecosystem. Any hint at them developing a cross-platform entitlements, cross-system progression, a Play Anywhere feature that gives players the best version to play on the supported system and doing away with paid upgrades and double dipping? Be big news if that's the case, if not, they're not even trying that hard to reach parity with UWP. I'm curious if they still want to support local PC play or if they'll shortcut it by reintroducing PS Plus streaming on PC.

For a stronger local PC play support they'll need to either build their own store from scratch or partner with an existing digital distributor. EGS seems like a most likely candidate to make this happen quicker and be the most mutually beneficial arrangement if they can be the content bridge between a PC-console unified ecosystem to bridge entitlements and services and lord knows EGS needs a bump because years of giving out free games has done little.

iambatman7986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#3 iambatman7986
Member since 2013 • 4575 Posts

@lamprey263 said:

Pointless without a unified ecosystem. Any hint at them developing a cross-platform entitlements, cross-system progression, a Play Anywhere feature that gives players the best version to play on the supported system and doing away with paid upgrades and double dipping? Be big news if that's the case, if not, they're not even trying that hard.

I agree with this. Until they have a unified ecosystem, this is just not what I want. I want buy/play anywhere, cross saves, shared trophies and free upgrades to the best version. Look at how MS is doing their game releases, and that would be perfect for me, just with Sony first party games instead of MS first party games. I hate $10 upgrades and having to double dip if I want both versions.

palasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#4 palasta
Member since 2017 • 1397 Posts

Looks like Sony is conceding that MS's strategy is, in fact,correct.

He did go on to mention that he isn't too sold on subscription models,saying“People usually play one game at a time,” he said, “so ‘all you can eat’ type of [subscriptions] may not be so valuable compared with video streaming services.”

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#5  Edited By Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69490 Posts

Damn, MS leading the way.

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16539 Posts

@dabear: this just proves that MS is right and people who bought a ps5 got taken as fools. Thankfully I didn't buy that turd.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#7 BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17811 Posts

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16539 Posts

Oh and cows are rekkd

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 lamprey263

The way things are, Sony could bring cross-platform entitlements, get rid of paid upgrades, offer cross-platform progression (saves/trophies), and the gaming world will act like Sony practically invented it. Just like when PS4 got party chat.

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Fedor
Member since 2015 • 11612 Posts

GhostOfGolden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 GhostOfGolden
Member since 2023 • 2466 Posts

@palasta said:

He did go on to mention that he isn't too sold on subscription models,saying“People usually play one game at a time,” he said, “so ‘all you can eat’ type of [subscriptions] may not be so valuable compared with video streaming services.”

Lmao! I was gone respond to this as well. TC claims there’s a concession but then posts a quote that states the exact opposite.

Antwan3K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Antwan3K
Member since 2005 • 8076 Posts
@palasta said:

the PlayStation CEO "isn't sold" on subscription models despite offering a subscription model.. i lol'd.. definitely wouldn't give me much confidence in subscribing to PS Plus..

that irony aside, yep looks like PlayStation is clearly following Xbox's strategy of expanding on PC, cloud, and mobile.. with that clearly established, the only question left is how long are they going to continue half-assing it..

GirlUSoCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13  Edited By GirlUSoCrazy
Member since 2015 • 1055 Posts

Bring Bloodborne to PC, get more of the back catalog, f*** the cloud, f*** service games

Spelamera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Spelamera
Member since 2024 • 72 Posts

So guess Ps6 is the last playstation console, guess its time to get a gaming-PC

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 lamprey263

@Antwan3K: "the only question left is how long are they going to continue half-assing it"

As long as people let them, their cheerleaders are exceedingly forgiving.

loudheadphones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By loudheadphones
Member since 2023 • 1049 Posts

Xbox peeps trying their very best to paint a PS as Xbox as dying shit. Well, not surprised since Xbox is dying breed.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#17 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58318 Posts

Hey, great news for gamers on all platforms.

Play what games you want to play on the platform you want to play on. It's a simple philosophy that's good for consumers and content creators.

And what's good for consumers is good for people that want to make an honest dollar.

Exclusivity is a garbage practice.

@girlusocrazy said:

Bring Bloodborne to PC, get more of the back catalog, f*** the cloud, f*** service games

I imagine any changes won't occur until after their current plan has been executed, so I don't imagine we'll be seeing a flood of ports or new content any time soon.

That's if (and it's a big "if") this is even official policy yet; this could just be a CEO talking shop.

@lamprey263 said:

Pointless without a unified ecosystem. Any hint at them developing a cross-platform entitlements, cross-system progression, a Play Anywhere feature that gives players the best version to play on the supported system and doing away with paid upgrades and double dipping? Be big news if that's the case, if not, they're not even trying that hard to reach parity with UWP. I'm curious if they still want to support local PC play or if they'll shortcut it by reintroducing PS Plus streaming on PC.

For a stronger local PC play support they'll need to either build their own store from scratch or partner with an existing digital distributor. EGS seems like a most likely candidate to make this happen quicker and be the most mutually beneficial arrangement if they can be the content bridge between a PC-console unified ecosystem to bridge entitlements and services and lord knows EGS needs a bump because years of giving out free games has done little.

Eh, you're not wrong, but I think it's needlessly complicated. Sony already has a stable of games just waiting to get ported to PC and sold on whatever storefronts they deem acceptable. License to print money.

Easily contract a third party (there are many quality developers that specialize in ports), then sell it on Steam, GoG, etc. over the next few years. Build up some good will.

Then maybe work out on carving a bigger slice of the pie. Obviously as a consumer I would want to be able to buy Sony games on whatever platform or distributor I deem best, but if Sony wants to make their own storefront, well...why not?

As for EGS, the only thing they need is to die a painful death. Seriously, their artificial attempts to create exclusivity on PC, an open platform, is borderline criminal in my opinion or at the very least downright hostile to consumers.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Pedro
@loudheadphones said:

Xbox peeps trying their very best to paint a PS as Xbox as dying shit. Well, not surprised since Xbox is dying breed.

I can see that this information is causing you pain.😂

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 38854 Posts

That isn't saying much. If PS exclusives are coming to pc, will they be released on the same day like Microsoft's shovelware, or are we waiting 1-3 years per game? Cuz if they release em simeltaneously, their console will only serve a clueless dudebro and a child, and i am just not seeing it being a good thing for them.

Warm_Gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Warm_Gun
Member since 2021 • 2414 Posts

PCGamerLaszlo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 PCGamerLaszlo
Member since 2023 • 507 Posts

At least Sony is submitting and giving up old tropes to get with the times. It takes alot coming from a Japanese company. Forcast is almost half a billion in PC sales by March 2024. That's money on the table that can't be denied. If playstation fanboy's are that upset by PC they have only themselves to blame. If your attachment rate on exclusives where high enough to be sustainable, sony wouldn't have been forced to submit to PC dominance.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Pedro

@pcgamerlaszlo said:

At least Sony is submitting and giving up old tropes to get with the times. It takes alot coming from a Japanese company. Forcast is almost half a billion in PC sales by March 2024. That's money on the table that can't be denied. If playstation fanboy's are that upset by PC they have only themselves to blame. If your attachment rate on exclusives where high enough to be sustainable, sony wouldn't have been forced to submit to PC dominance.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20105 Posts

In short, it’d be ubiquitous. Wherever there is computing, users will be able to play their favorite games seamlessly. Gamers will be able to find a place to play in different spaces. While PlayStation will remain our core product, we will expand our gaming experiences to PC, mobile, and cloud.

dabear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#24 dabear
Member since 2002 • 8854 Posts

@ghostofgolden: Wow... talk about not getting the point...

I was clearly talking about Sony releasing their 1st party games day 1 across multiple platforms.

I added the game pass part to give a complete synopsis of the articles.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Pedro

@dabear said:

@ghostofgolden: Wow... talk about not getting the point...

I was clearly talking about Sony releasing their 1st party games day 1 across multiple platforms.

I added the game pass part to give a complete synopsis of the articles.

You triggered him so bad that he got confused.😂

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#26 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58318 Posts

@pcgamerlaszlo said:

Yeah, this isn't coming from a place of racism, but Japanese companies really seem to rely on a lot of old-school business ideals. Some of it is nice, like when a CEO takes a paycut when the company isn't doing well and they need to save workers; but sometimes on the consumer end it seems like they're just doing things out of...tradition or something. It's baffling.

Nintendo could make a killing on PC if they just stagger some ports a year or two after coming out on Nintendo hardware (as to not hurt sales of Switch, etc) but they just don't do it.

I would love to hear their rationale for keeping things the way they are when there are viable options that benefit both consumer and company. I'm tired of the old line of "we are protecting our IP"

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 hardwenzen

@pcgamerlaszlo said:

I cannot stand hermits. Worst invention in humankind history.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Pedro

@mrbojangles25 said:
@pcgamerlaszlo said:

Yeah, this isn't coming from a place of racism, but Japanese companies really seem to rely on a lot of old-school business ideals. Some of it is nice, like when a CEO takes a paycut when the company isn't doing well and they need to save workers; but sometimes on the consumer end it seems like they're just doing things out of...tradition or something. It's baffling.

Nintendo could make a killing on PC if they just stagger some ports a year or two after coming out on Nintendo hardware (as to not hurt sales of Switch, etc) but they just don't do it.

I would love to hear their rationale for keeping things the way they are when there are viable options that benefit both consumer and company. I'm tired of the old line of "we are protecting our IP"

Nintendo will have to conform as the industry changes.

PCGamerLaszlo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 PCGamerLaszlo

@hardwenzen: You're the one mad in every post dude. People can't stand you so I guess everything works out in the end.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 hardwenzen

@pcgamerlaszlo said:

@hardwenzen: You're the one mad in every post dude. People can't stand you so I guess everything works out in the end.

If you hermits didn't exist, my playstation wouldn't have any issues for the years to come, so i blame all of this on y'all.

PCGamerLaszlo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 PCGamerLaszlo

@mrbojangles25: Yeah, don't get me wrong, Japanese game companies have made some great contributions to gaming but they also hamstring themselves by playing it safe too much. Palworld is the most recent example. The games blown up because it did something Pokemon fans have wanted for years and now Nintendo's on the defensive because they refused to adapt to what fans wanted and gave more of the same for too long.

PCGamerLaszlo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By PCGamerLaszlo

@hardwenzen: If your fanbase had a higher attahment rate for Sony exclusives to make them more profitable Sony wouldn't have to outsource to PC. Blame yourself. You failed your Sony overlords and this is your punishment.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By hardwenzen
@pcgamerlaszlo said:

@hardwenzen: If your fanbase had a higher attahment rate for Sony exclusives to make them more profitable Sony wouldn't have to outsource to PC. Blame yourself. You failed your Sony overlords and this is your punishment.

Attachment rate is perfectly fine. Good games sell millions.

Stop stealing my games. Go hype your Scam Citizen, and leave my Sony exclusives alone

PCGamerLaszlo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 PCGamerLaszlo

@hardwenzen: Wrong. It's not sustainable, hence why Sony has games on PC in the first place.

https://www.ign.com/articles/shawn-layden-playstation-aaa-game-budgets-unsustainable

We will take what we want from Sony. Your Sony exclusives are ours. There's nothing you can do about it, so accept your failure to your Sony overloards. They demand retribution for your failure. seppuku is your only option now.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 hardwenzen

@pcgamerlaszlo said:

@hardwenzen: Wrong. It's not sustainable, hence why Sony has games on PC in the first place.

https://www.ign.com/articles/shawn-layden-playstation-aaa-game-budgets-unsustainable

We will take what we want from Sony. Your Sony exclusives are ours. There's nothing you can do about it, so accept your failure to your Sony overloards. They demand retribution for your failure. seppuku is your only option now.

Its perfectly sustainable, that's why they've been so successful, and their systems sell as much as they do. You give THE BEST EXCLUSIVES in the market to a bunch of hermits that don't deserve it, and their console & peripherals sales and psn subscriptions will plummet. So again, please stick to your hermit exclusives, and don't look what's on the other side of the fence. Sony exclusives are mine, and mine only.

PCGamerLaszlo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By PCGamerLaszlo

@hardwenzen: I'm on PC. I'll do what I want.

DanishAnwar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By DanishAnwar
Member since 2023 • 348 Posts
@dabear said:

Looks like Sony is conceding that MS's strategy is, in fact, correct.

In a recent interview, CEO Kenichiro Yoshida talked about the future of gaming and Playstation:

“It will be ubiquitous,” Yoshida said. “Wherever there is computing, users will be able to play their favorite games seamlessly. Why PlayStation will remain our core product [is] we will expand our gaming experiences to PC, mobile, and cloud.”

He did go on to mention that he isn't too sold on subscription models, saying “People usually play one game at a time,” he said, “so ‘all you can eat’ type of [subscriptions] may not be so valuable compared with video streaming services.”

So, there you have it. Seems like Sony is just going to follow MS and put PS games on "everything they can".

Thoughts? Is this just making PC truly the best place to game?

They should as well end console production. XBox is a worthless machine, and now PS is following suit.

What's the point of a console when you can play all games on PC and do more. For me PS5 will be the last console. I will switch to PC gaming for sure at the time of PS6.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22685 Posts

Congratulations to gamers who no longer have to be gauged by hardware install bases.... The day Sony releases it's games day 1 on PC gamers everywhere can celebrate the end of corporate friendly exclusive game strategies....

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 TheEroica  Moderator
@Pedro said:
@loudheadphones said:

There are many corporate friendly fans that will want Sony to continue using a hardware pay wall to play their games.... They'd rather Sony lose money on project's and keep the experience from gamers rather than celebrate that gamers win....

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 hardwenzen

@pcgamerlaszlo said:

I forbid you. There's a fence between pc and playstation for a reason.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By TheEroica  Moderator
@hardwenzen said:
@pcgamerlaszlo said:

Not for long....instead of innovative gameplay you wanted interactive movies with pretty trees 😂🌴 you forced sonys hand....

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 hardwenzen

@TheEroica said:
@hardwenzen said:
@pcgamerlaszlo said:

Not for long....instead of innovative gameplay you wanted interactive movies with pretty trees 😂🌴 you forced sonys hand....

And that is perfectly fine, we will win GOTY awards with those trees.

GhostOfGolden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 GhostOfGolden
Member since 2023 • 2466 Posts

@Pedro said:

Nintendo will have to conform as the industry changes.

Nintendo... The company that just moved over 132 million units needs to conform to industry changes... Wow... They control the revenue when games are sold on their platform. Nintendo can market games on their store. They can push the install base to their first party titles.

@TheEroica said:

Congratulations to gamers who no longer have to be gauged by hardware install bases.... The day Sony releases it's games day 1 on PC gamers everywhere can celebrate the end of corporate friendly exclusive game strategies....

Where in this article are we getting that PlayStation is putting games day and date on PC?

It's like some of you are forgetting there's businesses being run here...

loudheadphones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 loudheadphones
Member since 2023 • 1049 Posts

@TheEroica said:
@Pedro said:
@loudheadphones said:

There are many corporate friendly fans that will want Sony to continue using a hardware pay wall to play their games.... They'd rather Sony lose money on project's and keep the experience from gamers rather than celebrate that gamers win....

Talking about about corporate friendly. Looks who is talking about it. Xbox championed payed online, right? Right. Oh yes, retailers are ditching Xbox too. That's good for gaming industry. Sony wants to spread PS+ on every platform, yes. That doesn't bother me and it doesn't causing me a pain. I'm only laughing at Xbox idiotism. It would bother of Sony will abandon a traditional way of console and looks like that won't happen anytime soon. On the other hand, MS will ditch Xbox hardware, which is a good thing.

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Last_Lap
Member since 2023 • 6051 Posts

@ghostofgolden: Nintendo's games cost like $5 to make as they rehash the same colourful kids games every gen, they could sell a thousand copies of their games and still be in front money wise lol.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#46 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34615 Posts

Pretty good news, but.. it's Sony. Their games are shit.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 hardwenzen

@last_lap said:

@ghostofgolden: Nintendo's games cost like $5 to make as they rehash the same colourful kids games every gen, they could sell a thousand copies of their games and still be in front money wise lol.

It goes way beyond the rehashing and simpleton visuals. They don't write any stories, they don't create any characters with quality dialogue, they don't mo cap anything, they don't voice act in most of their games, they don't create cutscenes. Their games are like a Welfare project, the minimal viable product. Everyone complained about the WiiU, but i bet you Nintendo made bank EVEN on that failure cuz they must've invested $500 into making the system out of discarded Panasonic VCR's from the 90's, and another $100 to create those games with 2001 visuals and bird noises instead of voice acting.

This is Nintendo for you.

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Last_Lap
Member since 2023 • 6051 Posts

@hardwenzen said:
@last_lap said:

It goes way beyond the rehashing and simpleton visuals. They don't write any stories, they don't create any characters with quality dialogue, they don't mo cap anything, they don't voice act in most of their games, they don't create cutscenes. Their games are like a Welfare project, the minimal viable product. Everyone complained about the WiiU, but i bet you Nintendo made bank EVEN on that failure cuz they must've invested $500 into making the system out of discarded Panasonic VCR's from the 90's, and another $100 to create those games with 2001 visuals and bird noises instead of voice acting.

That's a plus in my book, it's a video game not a movie. If you want a story, go watch a movie.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 hardwenzen

@last_lap said:
@hardwenzen said:
@last_lap said:

That's a plus in my book, it's a video game not a movie. If you want a story, go watch a movie.

You don't get the point. NOT having it makes it so the game is much cheaper to produce. You liking it or not makes no difference.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#50 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34615 Posts

@hardwenzen said:
@last_lap said:
@hardwenzen said:
@last_lap said:

You don't get the point. NOT having it makes it so the game is much cheaper to produce. You liking it or not makes no difference.

Cheaper and faster to produce, and is more fun. Win-win. Hopefully they never start making expensive auto-playing games like Sony.