Sony CEO: Playstation's Future is on PC, Mobile, and Cloud.

• 121 results
Antwan3K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101  Edited By Antwan3K
Member since 2005 • 8201 Posts

@Nonstop-Madness: the operative word was "IF" Wolverine released Day-and-Date on PC..

and IF Wolverine was to release on PC, Day One, PS5 would still be selling like hotcakes.. the console market would still be massive and PlayStation wouldn't magically become irrelevant..

that's the entire point of the conversation..

as far as everything else you typed, strategies change.. a mere few years ago, cows would have never thought PlayStation would be shiting most of their studios towards GaaS and the CEO of Sony would be saying that PlayStation's future is on PC, cloud, and mobile.. yet here we are..

keep your eyes closed, your fingers in your ears, and your head in the sand.. it won't change the clear direction that PlayStation is heading..

jcafcwbb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#102 jcafcwbb
Member since 2015 • 679 Posts

This is what I have been saying for a while, and being mocked on here for, neither Sony or MS want to make a new console which sells at break even at best. They would rather sell on a digital PC store where they do not have to spend money on R&D and production.

Silentchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#103  Edited By Silentchief
Member since 2021 • 6967 Posts
@Antwan3K said:
@silentchief said:

Playstation brand will be completely irrelevant if they go day and date. Without a platform to push, single player exclusives will become less of a priority. If they do make PC priority live service will be their focus and they will be nothing more then a shitty publisher.

do you honestly believe the only thing that kept the PlayStation brand relevant in 2023 was Spiderman 2?.. one "system seller" 1st party out of 12 months?.. what AAA PlayStation 1st party titles are keeping the PS5 relevant in 2024?..

the fact is the most played games on PS5 aren't Sony exclusives.. they're games like Call of Duty and Fortnite.. games that are also available on PC, Day and Date.. PS5s will continue to sell like hotcakes regardless of what Sony releases or doesn't release because they have solidified brand power..

the console market is stronger than ever before and PlayStation is the de-facto console brand.. it doesn't matter what's happening on PC, console gamers will continue to buy consoles and they simply prefer to buy PlayStations.. that has been the case for literally every console generation since Sony entered the market..

that dynamic isn't going to magically change if Wolverine is Day and Date on PC in 2025..

You just further made my point.

Why does someone choose to buy Call of Duty or Fortnite on Playstation over any other platform? Cross-play is now available on most games so why pick Playstation over anything else? Exclusives, that's why.

If I know one platform has God of War, The Last of Us, Ghost of Tsushima, Spider-Man, Wolverine , etc I'm going to just buy that platform and play my multiplats on that and pick up the exclusives when they arrive. I'm not going to sell it just because only one exclusive is coming that year. Playstation wasn't just relevant in 2023 because of Spider-Man 2 it was relevant because it built up a high quality library of exclusives over the past 3 years.

The console market is stronger then ever because Nintendo and Sony are killing it. The XSX is selling less then then the Xbox one now and that's crazy considering it's a much better console. Geee I wonder why? Could it be because it's completely redundant? If Playstation takes the same approach that Microsoft does their console sales will plummet much like the Xbox did the difference is Playstation doesn't have a subscription service equal to gamepass to fall back on.

Silentchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104  Edited By Silentchief
@Nonstop-Madness said:

@Antwan3K: Insomniac doesn't have any plans to release Wolverine day one on PC per their leak.

And fwiw, @silentchief says *single player exclusives*.

4 out of the top 20 best selling games on PlayStation in 2023 (USA) were single player exclusives.

- Spider-Man 2, GoW Ragnarok, GT7* and, FF16. (*technically GaaS, imo)

There's also this:

https://gamingbolt.com/ps5-players-spend-much-more-time-playing-single-player-games-than-multiplayer-ones-leaked-documents-suggest

---

I understand people's perspectives on the topic but, PlayStation's content strategy over the next 4-5 years does *NOT* include releasing their single player games day one on PC. That's a fundamental misunderstanding of their strategy and the steps they've taken to expand their group of studios and portfolio.

They're expanding onto other platforms through GaaS; Marathon, Helldivers 2, Concord, Fairgame$, Horizon MP, Horizon MMO, London Studios GaaS etc. *That* is their path forward for the foreseeable future.

Yes that's what I meant and I believe you are correct. If they go day and date on single player titles they will tank themselves and it's amazing to me fanboys want to deny that reality. There's a reason Playstation is worth more than EA or Activision. It's because platform holders make more money then just a publisher so why turn yourself into just a publisher?

Antwan3K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105  Edited By Antwan3K

@silentchief: people buy Call of Duty on console because they prefer to game on consoles.. it's not much more complicated than that.. others buy Call of Duty on PC because they prefer to game on PC..

the console market exists, the console market is strong, the console market is separate from the PC market, and PlayStation is the defacto home console brand.. the sooner you understand that, the easier PlayStation's continued expansion on PC will be for you..

and food for thought:

Sony is factually shifting most of their gaming studios to GaaS/Live Service titles.. originally, projecting to launch 12 live service games by 2025 and walking that back to 6 live service games by 2026.. and all those live service games will be Day One on PC..

that means that the vast majority of Sony's 1st party PlayStation Studios titles will be DAY ONE on PC..

this is already happening..

creating a qualifier of "single-player games" doesn't mean much when they don't even have any AAA single-player games announced with solid release dates for the next couple years.. for all intents and purposes, PlayStation is already Day One on PC starting with Helldivers 2 and the CEO is letting you know that their expansion on PC will only continue..

if you can't read the room, i don't know what else to tell you..

Silentchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106  Edited By Silentchief

@Antwan3K: Then you prove you have no understanding of how the industry works.

They are not completely seperate. Gamers are gamers and they are foolish to think that the markets dont have some overlap.

You are factually incorrect and your link is outdated.

They went from 12 to 6

They cancelled several live service products including Naughty dogs to put them on single player only titles. Insomniacs online Gaas games were also Cancelled. As you say " read the room". Do you think it's a coincidence that they cancelled half the live service games as Jim Ryan retired ?

I realize Xbox fans want Sony to fail by following Microsofts strategy but fortunately that doesn't seem to be happening yet.

Antwan3K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By Antwan3K

@silentchief: i never said there wasn't overlap but that overlap is extremely niche.. the mass market, casual console gamer (which is what these companies are ultimately targeting) isn't going to build a gaming PC to play a game that's readily available on the PlayStation ecosystem they're already invested in..

secondly, i included the reduction from 12 to 6 in my post above and that "reduction" is mostly delays; not cancelations.. so that still doesn't change the fact the majority of PlayStation Studios titles are Live Service games that will be on PC Day One..

ultimately, you're welcome to believe whatever you want but cows have gone from:

"Sony will never put PlayStation games on PC!"

to

"Well, some games will go to PC but not Day One!"

to

"Well, some will be Day One but only a few Live Service games!"

to

"Well, the majority of games will be Day One but single-player games won't!"

see the pattern?..

you cows keep drawing these imaginary lines in the sand that supposedly Sony won't cross and Sony keeps crossing them; leaving you to keep moving the goal post.. the only goal you have left is "single player games won't be Day One on PC" and here you are, yet again, drawing a line in the sand..

again, believe what you want, but Sony has proven time and time again that they will step directly over that line.. 🤷‍♂️

Silentchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 Silentchief

@Antwan3K:No it really isn't especially among Gen Z where every other kid wants to be a twitch streamer. If they can play all their games on one platform most gamers will do just that. I'm a huge Playstation fan and have been so for 30 years. If I'm willing to switch the casual gamer will absolutely do the same.

Your statement that most Playstation games will be " live service " games and launch on PC is false. Of the 12 live service games at least 3 have been canceled. So the majority of Playstations future titles are still single player.

I'm not telling you Sony won't step over the line. Maybe they will. I'm telling you that if they do they will tank their brand. They may learn that lesson the hard way or maybe they already see it. But if they followed the plan that every Microsoft fanboy wants them to follow they will be all but irrelevant within a decade of that decision.

ThatForumUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#109 ThatForumUser
Member since 2019 • 706 Posts

Future of Play Station is on Xbox platform lolololol I would told you that long time ago - bend the knee and kiss the ring Cerny

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#110  Edited By Pedro  Online
Member since 2002 • 69930 Posts

@thatforumuser: Weird, Sony is following MS not abandoning ship.🙃

ThatForumUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#111  Edited By ThatForumUser
Member since 2019 • 706 Posts

@Pedro: lolol

Cerny fail econimic class and have to change the way bc Xbox every where and Play Station have no games 😎

To bad to late Cerny the Xbox already have mobile and cloud and PC 😎

Antwan3K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By Antwan3K

@silentchief: your entire argument boils down to a fundamentally false belief that console gaming (particularly the PlayStation brand) lives and dies based upon what gamers can't play on PC..

your logic is laughably outdated..

the reality is that just about anything anyone wants to play is already available on PC, PlayStation singleplayer games are already "timed exclusives" that will be on PC, and the majority of the PlayStation's upcoming games are arriving Day One on PC as live service titles..

according to your logic, there is already very little reason for a gamer to buy a PS5 (in comparison to a PC) and yet PS5 sales are still breaking records.. 🤷‍♂️

again, the console market exists, the console market is strong, the PC market =/= the console market, and PlayStation is the defacto home console market leader.. these facts won't suddenly change if/when Sony decides to put a singleplayer game on PC Day One..

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#113 Pedro  Online
Member since 2002 • 69930 Posts

@Antwan3K: Silly person. People only buy consoles because the games are not on PC. I thought everyone knew that all gamers are PC gamers by default.🙃

lhughey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 lhughey
Member since 2006 • 4867 Posts

Sony is one generation behind MS in strategy. They will be following the transition, but at a slower rate. They are a Japanese company and are more conservative.

Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#115 Nonstop-Madness
Member since 2008 • 12333 Posts

@Antwan3K said:

@Nonstop-Madness: the operative word was "IF" Wolverine released Day-and-Date on PC..

and IF Wolverine was to release on PC, Day One, PS5 would still be selling like hotcakes.. the console market would still be massive and PlayStation wouldn't magically become irrelevant..

that's the entire point of the conversation..

as far as everything else you typed, strategies change.. a mere few years ago, cows would have never thought PlayStation would be shiting most of their studios towards GaaS and the CEO of Sony would be saying that PlayStation's future is on PC, cloud, and mobile.. yet here we are..

keep your eyes closed, your fingers in your ears, and your head in the sand.. it won't change the clear direction that PlayStation is heading..

Strategies do change but, they take many many years to implement when there's AAA development involved.

Ex. PlayStation's GaaS strategy started as early as 2018 (if not earlier) when Simon Larouche joined Guerilla and they're just *now* starting to roll out said strategy over the next 2-3 years and beyond.

Will PlayStation release all of their games day one on PC? Probably someday. My contention is *when* and *how*.

*When* is easily 4+ years from now if not more with the information we have. That'll be almost a decade after they started porting PC games. Telling someone that PlayStation will be releasing all their games day one on PC back in let's say 2020 and then seeing it *10+ years* later isn't some Nostradamus level prediction or gotcha. And even when that happens, we still don't know *how*. All I do know is *how* isn't going to happen by putting a choke hold on their $30B PlayStation console empire.

My personal prediction is ... they only go day one on PC for all of their games when their console ends up turning into a hybrid cloud device that is used to play cloud-assisted PlayStation experiences. The business is then to get as many people on that cloud-assisted platform (PSN) as possible. That's a 7+ year moonshot.

Everything in the meantime is to get GaaS on more platforms while delivering single player experiences 12-18+ months down the road.

Silentchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 Silentchief

@Antwan3K: It doesn't live or die by it but it greatly effects it. The Xbox is a perfect example. The 360 sold over 80 million consoles. The Xbox one sold a little more then half that. The Series X/S are now falling behind the Xbox One. Why do you think that is?

Most people don't want to wait two to three years to play games hence why the Playstation is still relevant. What reason would people have to stick with Playstation if all it's games are available on another platform Day 1? Saying " some people just prefer to play on consoles " isn't going to keep the Playstation brand relevant because as soon as it's known everything is going to PC day one it is reasonable to expect their numbers to fall off in the same manner the Xbox did. The difference is the Playstation does not have a service that will compete with Gamepass. Saying Playstation will just stay the go to console for eternity is laughable. If they go Day one before the PS6 the PS6 would be DOA.

Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#117 Nonstop-Madness
Member since 2008 • 12333 Posts
@lhughey said:

Sony is one generation behind MS in strategy. They will be following the transition, but at a slower rate. They are a Japanese company and are more conservative.

They're taking a more conservative approach because they have a massively successful PlayStation console business that is still growing. Xbox's required them to take a huge hit on their console business *AND* spend upwards of $80B and counting. PlayStation isn't going to do that and, ultimately doesn't need to follow in Xbox's footsteps. They can have a massively successful PlayStation console business *and* a successful multiplatform GaaS business that will help them continue to grow for the next decade plus.

Antwan3K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By Antwan3K
@Nonstop-Madness said:
[...]

[...]

Telling someone that PlayStation will be releasing all their games day one on PC back in let's say 2020 and then seeing it *10+ years* later isn't some Nostradamus level prediction or gotcha.

[...]

it's not about a "gotcha" moment.. it's just acknowleging reality.. acknowleging the clear direction PlayStation is going..

personally, i don't know if it will be 1 year, 5 years, or 10 years from now.. who knows?.. but it's clearly an eventuality.. to imply that PlayStation will "never" bring all their games to PC on Day One is just fanboy nonsense.. implying the "PlayStation brand" in the console space will be ruined is equally silly..

it seems you concede to the clear possibility of Sony going Day One on PC, even with that really narrow qualifier.. good on you.. 👍

arguably, their goal is already to get as many people on PSN as possible and they can do that with a combination of console support, a 1st party PC storefront, and a viable subscription service (like Microsoft already has).. there's no need for a "hybrid cloud device" to spur that initiative.. but that's a different conversation..

Antwan3K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By Antwan3K
@silentchief said:

@Antwan3K: It doesn't live or die by it but it greatly effects it. The Xbox is a perfect example. The 360 sold over 80 million consoles. The Xbox one sold a little more then half that. The Series X/S are now falling behind the Xbox One. Why do you think that is?

[...]

the Xbox One was a complete PR disaster.. implied DRM issues with used games, "720p vs 1080p", mandatory Kinect "spying on you", a higher pricepoint than the more powerful PS4, lack of 1st party support, the list goes on..

the Xbox One had a ton a reasons why the PS4 ran away with the generation and your conclusion is that it was the PC support??.. the PS4 was already outselling the Xbox One 2:1 before Xbox Play Anywhere was even a thing.. dude, just stop..

the Series X|S was a follow-up to the 1st generation where digital games and subscriptions tied you to an ecosystem.. there wasn't the typical "hard reset"..

so it's not rocket science that all those PS4 owners with PSN accounts, PS Plus subscriptions, and digital libraries are buying PS5s and the abysmal Xbox One install base continues to hinder the adoption of Series consoles by comparison.. again, you are really trying hard to blame everything on PC support when other clear factors are readily evident..

the fact remains that PC gamers don't need a PS5.. they can just wait for better versions of PlayStation's singleplayer games to land on PC and the vast majority of their upcoming games will be on PC Day One since they are focusing on live service titles..

according to your warped and flawed logic, PS5 sales should be slowing down with this increased PC support but PS5 sales are actually growing (even with diminished AAA singleplayer game output).. that's simply because the console market is still really strong (despite what's happening on PC) and Sony has solidified themselves as the default console for gamers.. this isn't complicated..

bottomline: your narrative simply doesn't fit reality.. ultimately, you're just against Day One PC games because it takes away a fanboy talking point.. the PlayStation brand will be just fine whenever they decide to go Day One on PC..

Silentchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By Silentchief

@Antwan3K:

the Xbox One was a complete PR disaster.. implied DRM issues with used games, "720p vs 1080p", mandatory Kinect "spying on you", a higher pricepoint than the more powerful PS4, lack of 1st party support, the list goes on..

the Xbox One had a ton a reasons why the PS4 ran away with the generation and your conclusion is that it was the PC support??.. the PS4 was already outselling the Xbox One 2:1 before Xbox Play Anywhere was even a thing.. dude, just stop..

That explains why they got their ass kicked out of the gate. It doesn't explain why they continued to get dominated after releasing the One X which was more powerful In addition to announcing backwards compatibility with the 360. Sales should have picked up but they didn't. The series X/S are now being outsold 3 to 1. Why is that?

@Antwan3K

the Series X|S was a follow-up to the1stgeneration where digital games and subscriptionstiedyou to an ecosystem.. there wasn't the typical "hard reset"..

No it wasn't actually. Most games bought in the 360 era are fully compatible with the One X and even the Series X. MS put great effort into that and it means **** all because half their fanbase already moved to PC.

@Antwan3K

so it's not rocket science that all those PS4 owners with PSN accounts, PS Plus subscriptions, and digital libraries are buying PS5s and the abysmal Xbox One install base continues to hinder the adoption of Series consoles by comparison.. again, you are really trying hard to blame everything on PC support when other clear factors are readily evident..

the fact remains that PC gamers don't need a PS5.. they can just wait for better versions of PlayStation's singleplayer games to land on PC and the vast majority of their upcoming games will be on PC Day One since they are focusing on live service titles..

Your just copying Phill Spencer's statements he made so they could buy out Activision. Again their digital library goes as far back as the 360. Half way through the generation they had the better console with the One X and it did nothing for them because their base had left them.

Yes and Sony should change that because more people will in fact become PC gamers and once that happens Playstation will be nothing more then a publisher with a digital storefront that will be stuck in 4th place.

@Antwan3K

according to your warped and flawed logic, PS5 sales should be slowing down with this increased PC support but PS5 sales are actually growing (even with diminished AAA singleplayer game output).. that's simply because the console market is still really strong (despite what's happening on PC) and Sony has solidified themselves as the default console for gamers.. this isn't complicated..

bottomline: your narrative simply doesn't fit reality.. ultimately, you're just against Day One PC games because it takes away a fanboy talking point.. the PlayStation brand will be just fine whenever they decide to go Day One on PC..

It doesnt happen instantly it never does. It usually takes a couple years. I expect PS5 sales will slow down this year and I doubt the PS5 surpasses the PS4.

We will see. But I'm guessing I will be right and I'll be sure to call it out when I am. If just fine is cutting your console sales in half and losing total revenue and profits...? Then sure.

Antwan3K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By Antwan3K
@silentchief said:

@Antwan3K: [...]

@silentchief said: That explains why they got their ass kicked out of the gate. It doesn't explain why they continued to get dominated after releasing the One X which was more powerful In addition to announcing backwards compatibility with the 360. Sales should have picked up but they didn't. The series X/S are now being outsold 3 to 1. Why is that?

because neither the PS4 Pro or the Xbox One X sold particularly well.. these were relatively pricey luxury consoles aimed at the hardcore.. are you even serious right now?..

again, read my post above.. the usual "hard reset" of console generations didn't happen this time around.. for the 1st time in gaming history, people were "locked in" to an ecosystem heading into a new generation.. the PS4 gen was the worst gen to lose and Microsoft lost spectacularly.. the Series X|S had virtually no chance of gaining ground if PS4 owners can carry over their entire gaming libraries to the PS5..

it's basic math..

@Antwan3K said: [...]

@silentchief said: No it wasn't actually. Most games bought in the 360 era are fully compatible with the One X and even the Series X. MS put great effort into that and it means **** all because half their fanbase already moved to PC.

no, actually it was.. there was ZERO backwards compatibility at the beginning of the Xbox One generation.. heck, there wasn't even crossplay between the Xbox One and Xbox 360 in many games.. PS3 owners had every reason to move to the PS4, 360 owners switched and had nothing to lose moving to the PS4, both built digital libraries on the PS4, both subscribed to PS+ (with "free" games) on the PS4, and both easily carried all that over to the PS5..

that's the power of digital ecosystems..

by comparison, Xbox One owners represent a much smaller install base of users to convert to the Series X.. thankfully, Xbox expanded the overall ecosystem to the PC, cloud, and mobile to make up for it..

@silentchief said: Your just copying Phill Spencer's statements he made so they could buy out Activision. Again their digital library goes as far back as the 360. Half way through the generation they had the better console with the One X and it did nothing for them because their base had left them.

Yes and Sony should change that because more people will in fact become PC gamers and once that happens Playstation will be nothing more then a publisher with a digital storefront that will be stuck in 4th place.

facts are facts.. they don't need to be copied..

and again, you have no idea about what's going on in the gaming industry if you think the console market will somehow disappear if PlayStation puts their singleplayer games on PC Day One.. 🙄

@silentchief said: It doesn't happen instantly it never does. It usually takes a couple years. I expect PS5 sales will slow down this year and I doubt the PS5 surpasses the PS4.

We will see. But I'm guessing I will be right and I'll be sure to call it out when I am. If just fine is cutting your console sales in half and losing total revenue and profits...? Then sure.

the PS5 hasn't slowed down at all.. factually, their increased presence on PC has not affected their console sales negatively.. not even slightly.. your fanboy narrative has no basis in actual reality...

PlayStation is making a ton of money by expanding on PC.. it's literally the reason why the CEO is claiming the future of PlayStation is on PC, cloud, and mobile.. stop fanboying and read the room..