Sony CEO: Playstation's Future is on PC, Mobile, and Cloud.

• 121 results
Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#51 Last_Lap
Member since 2023 • 6317 Posts

@hardwenzen said:
@last_lap said:
@hardwenzen said:
@last_lap said:

@ghostofgolden: Nintendo's games cost like $5 to make as they rehash the same colourful kids games every gen, they could sell a thousand copies of their games and still be in front money wise lol.

It goes way beyond the rehashing and simpleton visuals. They don't write any stories, they don't create any characters with quality dialogue, they don't mo cap anything, they don't voice act in most of their games, they don't create cutscenes. Their games are like a Welfare project, the minimal viable product. Everyone complained about the WiiU, but i bet you Nintendo made bank EVEN on that failure cuz they must've invested $500 into making the system out of discarded Panasonic VCR's from the 90's, and another $100 to create those games with 2001 visuals and bird noises instead of voice acting.

This is Nintendo for you.

That's a plus in my book, it's a video game not a movie. If you want a story, go watch a movie.

You don't get the point. NOT having it makes it so the game is much cheaper to produce. You liking it or not makes no difference.

My original post alludes to them having no stories, maybe try comprehending what you're reading.

tdkmillsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#52 tdkmillsy
Member since 2003 • 6002 Posts

Isn't this what Microsoft said years ago.

Sony, you are so far behind.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44158 Posts

Sony CEO: Playstation's Future is....3rd party.

Fixed the thread title. lolol :P

Antwan3K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By Antwan3K
Member since 2005 • 8176 Posts
@ghostofgolden said:
[...]

Where in this article are we getting that PlayStation is putting games day and date on PC?

It's like some of you are forgetting there's businesses being run here...

if Sony is going to expand their presence on PC, why would a business continue to leave money on the table in that PC market?..

it seems you're the one forgetting there's a business being run here..

as a business, surely Sony is seeing the diminishing PC sales potential versus if they release the games to PC players during the launch marketing/hype/fomo cycle..

the length of time between announcing and releasing PC versions of their games is already shortening.. the next logical step is clear..

Saint-George

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 Saint-George
Member since 2023 • 1308 Posts

PlayStation has no Games

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#56 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69864 Posts
@Antwan3K said:
@ghostofgolden said:
[...]

Where in this article are we getting that PlayStation is putting games day and date on PC?

if Sony is going to expand their presence on PC, why would a business continue to leave money on the table in that PC market?..

as a business, surely Sony is seeing the diminishing PC sales potential versus if they release the games to PC players during the launch marketing/hype/fomo cycle..

the length of time between announcing and releasing PC versions of their games is already shortening.. the next logical step is clear..

The CEO directly contradicting his mantra is really causing him to stir.😂

Antwan3K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By Antwan3K
@Pedro said:
[...]

Shawn Layden says current AAA development is unsustainable, Jim Ryan shifts PlayStation Studios towards live service games, and the CEO says PlayStation's future is on PC, mobile, and cloud..

all these official public statements on the direction PlayStation is going, yet he's still stuck in 2013 playing console wars..

the writing on the wall is clear whether cows want to read it or not..

DanishAnwar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By DanishAnwar
Member since 2023 • 343 Posts

Xbox is already a dead duck as acknowledged by Phil Spencer. And I believe PlayStation will likely follow suit as consoles are becoming a negative value proposition for them. It seems Sony can't keep on publishing stellar exclusives like GOW, UC, Ghost of Tsushima, TLU, MGS, etc. that solidified its superiority previous gen.

At the moment, all looks good at the PC front. This is where the future lies...PC gaming.

I hope Sony doesn't turn into a Kodak and realizes soon that copying MS strategy is a winning strategy. PSN should be available for PC gamers, and every exclusive on PC from day one.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#59 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 39261 Posts

@Litchie: It took them a whole generation to release totk, a rehashed botw with a glue mechanic. So not only does it not take em faster (the same applies to 3D marios), barely any modern features are in their games.

tdkmillsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 tdkmillsy
Member since 2003 • 6002 Posts

@danishanwar said:

Xbox is already a dead duck as acknowledged by Phil Spencer. And I believe PlayStation will likely follow suit as consoles are becoming a negative value proposition for them. It seems Sony can't keep on publishing stellar exclusives like GOW, UC, Ghost of Tsushima, TLU, MGS, etc. that solidified its superiority previous gen.

At the moment, all looks good at the PC front. This is where the future lies...PC gaming.

I hope Sony doesn't turn into a Kodak and realizes soon that copying MS strategy is a winning strategy. PSN should be available for PC gamers, and every exclusive on PC from day one.

Sad to see Arcades gone the way they have.

GhostOfGolden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 GhostOfGolden
Member since 2023 • 2555 Posts

@Antwan3K said:
@Pedro said:
[...]

Shawn Layden says current AAA development is unsustainable, Jim Ryan shifts PlayStation Studios towards live service games, and the CEO says PlayStation's future is on PC, mobile, and cloud..

all these official public statements on the direction PlayStation is going, yet he's still stuck in 2013 playing console wars..

the writing on the wall is clear whether cows want to read it or not..

That’s cute and all, but my gripe with the Xbox strategy was never putting games on PC. I’m all for it. Always have been. But where have we seen PlayStation say they’re putting their games on PC day 1? Yall are doing victory laps and planning a parade for nothing. Wouldn’t be the first time I guess.

Xbox has damaged their console brand as you can see from the sales. Millions behind Xbox One. Over a subscription service and PC releases day 1. PC releases with missing features and later updates, but that’s a different discussion. While PlayStation is on pace with their previous console and expanding their PC and cloud offerings. Which model is more successful currently???🤔

You’re right. The writing is on the wall… I’m not sure what wall you two are looking at though…

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#62  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44616 Posts
@Antwan3K said:

It's at an expense though, they're too busy to making late PC ports to make new games. They can't really release a game on both PS5 and PC if they don't have anything to release. First party output looks dead for a long while.

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 Fedor
Member since 2015 • 11623 Posts

@lamprey263 said:
@Antwan3K said:

It's at an expense though, they're too busy to making late PC ports to make new games. They can't really release a game on both PS5 and PC if they don't have anything to release. First party output looks dead for a long while.

They either outsource their ports or Nixxes does them (GOW - Jetpack interactive, HZD - Virtuos, TLOU - Iron Galaxy, Nixxes did both Spidermans and R&C etc...). I'm pretty sure Bend with Days Gone was the only dev to fully do their own port. The PS drought is because of bad management, not because Nixxes or outsourced studios are making PC ports.

Antwan3K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Antwan3K
@ghostofgolden said:
[...]

[...]

Xbox has damaged their console brand as you can see from the sales.

[...]

again, you're still stuck in 2013.. the console wars are over and have been for years..

meanwhile, the "damaged" Xbox brand has more monthly-active-users than both PlayStation and Nintendo, is generating more gaming revenue than Nintendo (while closing the gap on PlayStation after ABK), has the most gaming studios, has live-service games that Sony could only dream of (ie Call of Duty, Minecraft, etc), and is looking to have a great 2024 in terms of 1st party content; particularly in comparison to PlayStation Studios..

in terms of which model is more successful, i think they both are successful with Xbox playing to their strengths and PlayStation playing to their own. but it's clear that PlayStation is moving in the direction that Xbox is already at; not vice-versa..

so Sony clearly thinks Microsoft has the more successful strategy for the long term..

Antwan3K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Antwan3K
@lamprey263 said:
@Antwan3K said:

yeah, PlayStation is really dropping the ball across the board in terms of content.. this seems to be in part to their reliance on extremely expensive AAA "one-and-done" games (according to Shawn Layden).. their non-existent 1st party in 2024 (right after a sparse 2023) is should be an actual cause for "concern"..

but according to cows, none of that matters as long as console sales are up.. 🙄

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17839 Posts

Eh it's a bit open to interpretation. He clearly says that the Playstation console will still be the core product. So that could mean business as it's currently going for them. Staggered releases of most titles. I think the only game they are making that is also on PC Day 1 is their GAAS game: Helldivers 2.

It'll be interesting to see if their actions really do change but I wouldn't get my hopes up based on this statement. It's still very much "PS console top priority with other platforms to follow". he never mentions that all PS games are going to be on all avenues day 1.

Would be nice if they did bring all their games to the PC day 1 though...no complaints from me if it happened :).

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#67  Edited By HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13668 Posts

@ghostofgolden said:
@palasta said:

Looks like Sony is conceding that MS's strategy is, in fact,correct.

He did go on to mention that he isn't too sold on subscription models,saying“People usually play one game at a time,” he said, “so ‘all you can eat’ type of [subscriptions] may not be so valuable compared with video streaming services.”

Lmao! I was gone respond to this as well. TC claims there’s a concession but then posts a quote that states the exact opposite.

Unless TC was referring to the multiplatform nature of Xbox, not being console based. "PC, Mobile and Cloud" being the focus.

But that's okay "you're not a cow", so I'm sure you saw that. :-S

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By HalcyonScarlet
@Litchie said:

Pretty good news, but.. it's Sony. Their games are shit.

Certainly over rated by the cows imo. I may actually enjoy some of their games more, but the cows tell us they're AMAZING, and then you play them and they don't even come close to meeting the expectation.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By HalcyonScarlet

So we went from single platform exclusives, to "PS family" exclusives (the corniest sounding shit cows have come out with), to console exclusives, to timed exclusives... I mean WOW PlayStation fell off its throne.

Every time their execs speak, you can hear how much they want to go multiplat.

Outside of sales, PlayStation never reach the greatness of the first four PS consoles again.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22787 Posts

@ghostofgolden said:
@Pedro said:

Nintendo will have to conform as the industry changes.

Nintendo... The company that just moved over 132 million units needs to conform to industry changes... Wow... They control the revenue when games are sold on their platform. Nintendo can market games on their store. They can push the install base to their first party titles.

@TheEroica said:

Congratulations to gamers who no longer have to be gauged by hardware install bases.... The day Sony releases it's games day 1 on PC gamers everywhere can celebrate the end of corporate friendly exclusive game strategies....

I wrote, "the day Sony releases..." indeed it'll be a fine day for gamers when and if Sony releases it's content day 1 on PC. If they can recoup expenses on games that cost 1/3rd of a billion dollars without putting their games elsewhere good for them... Not gamers, but good for them.... I don't believe anyone can sustain that though.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 Pedro

@ghostofgolden said:
@Pedro said:

Nintendo... The company that just moved over 132 million units needs to conform to industry changes... Wow... They control the revenue when games are sold on their platform. Nintendo can market games on their store. They can push the install base to their first party titles.

Yep! Because what works now is going to garranteed to work in the future. Blockbuster had the same perspective as you.😏

GhostOfGolden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 GhostOfGolden

@Pedro said:
@ghostofgolden said:
@Pedro said:

Yep! Because what works now is going to garranteed to work in the future. Blockbuster had the same perspective as you.😏

And what’s never worked before is guaranteed to work next time. OnLive, PSTV/PSNow and Stadia had the same perspective as you. 😏

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Pedro

@ghostofgolden said:

And what’s never worked before is guaranteed to work next time. OnLive, PSTV/PSNow and Stadia had the same perspective as you. 😏

Funny, I never mentioned a single line about streaming.🤭

GhostOfGolden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By GhostOfGolden

@Pedro said:
@ghostofgolden said:

Funny, I could have sworn cloud gaming was a topic of discussion in this thread. 🤭

dabear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 dabear
Member since 2002 • 8874 Posts

@hardwenzen: Sony's 1st party sucks, bro

dabear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By dabear

@HalcyonScarlet: Which I was, Which is why everyone is talking about Playstation games on PC except for Golden.

SMH.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 hardwenzen

@dabear said:

@hardwenzen: Sony's 1st party sucks, bro

What kind of buffoonery statement is that?

dabear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 dabear

@hardwenzen: It's true. Most of them are not games, they're 1/2 CGI and half walking simulators.

They're 100% one and done.

Even if Sony went 100% 3rd party, and pull all ther games on Xbox AND Game Pass, I still wouldn't play them.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By hardwenzen
@dabear said:

@hardwenzen: It's true. Most of them are not games, they're 1/2 CGI and half walking simulators.

They're 100% one and done.

Even if Sony went 100% 3rd party, and pull all ther games on Xbox AND Game Pass, I still wouldn't play them.

Firstly, you're jelly of the presentation of Sony titles. You know MS is incapable of achieving it. Secondly, Sony is winning GOTY almost every year, and MS hasn't won anything in how long? Like 20 years?

Your Xbox game are nothing but renting fodder for the weekend, and here you are talking about GOTY winning Sony exclusives. What a buffoon.

dabear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 dabear

@hardwenzen: I don't care what they win. They're 20 hour one-and-done walking Sims.

Every one follows the same formula.

loudheadphones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 loudheadphones
Member since 2023 • 1102 Posts

@dabear said:

@hardwenzen: I don't care what they win. They're 20 hour one-and-done walking Sims.

Hellblade 2 is good looking walking sim. :/

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 Pedro

@ghostofgolden said:
@Pedro said:
@ghostofgolden said:

Funny, I could have sworn cloud gaming was a topic of discussion in this thread. 🤭

Still can't find the line in which I talked about streaming.🤭

dabear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 dabear

@loudheadphones: As I have said before, I am not going to play that game, either.

I hope it does well, but it's a "Sony-like" game, which means it's never going to be on my Xbox.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By hardwenzen
@dabear said:

And MS has zero formula, its just unfinished shit games like infinite, sea of thieves, starfield, redfall, etc. So what's better? Seriously, your titles are so bad they are not even worth buying, and that's why Phil made a renting service.

dabear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 dabear

@hardwenzen: Xbox.

Thanks for playing.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 hardwenzen

@dabear said:

@hardwenzen: Xbox.

Thanks for playing.

For renting. Because those games are made to be rented, their quality has degraded more than i could've even imagined 2-3 years ago.

dabear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 dabear

@hardwenzen: Starfield has 13 million players. How many does Spider-Man 2 have?

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 hardwenzen

@dabear said:

@hardwenzen: Starfield has 13 million players. How many does Spider-Man 2 have?

Players? Nobody cares how many people rented the game. How many has it sold?😆😆😆🤦‍♂️

dabear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 dabear

@hardwenzen: "sales" are not a viable metric for a subscription service business model, and you know it.

Nice try, though.

13m > 6mil

You lose.

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 kuu2
Member since 2005 • 12063 Posts

MSoft always leading the way for the other companies.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 hardwenzen

@dabear said:

@hardwenzen: "sales" are not a viable metric for a subscription service business model, and you know it.

Nice try, though.

13m > 6mil

You lose.

Then why are they still selling games?

dabear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 dabear

@hardwenzen: Why wouldn't they also sell the games?

They get to double dip.

That's just good business.

And that was a "weak" try. No cookie for you.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 hardwenzen

@dabear said:

@hardwenzen: Why wouldn't they also sell the games?

They get to double dip.

That's just good business.

And that was a "weak" try. No cookie for you.

No, they don't get double dipped, nobody is buying anything on the Xbox anymore, gp ruined their sales. There is a reason why we don't hear any sales from MS for almost a decade, and we don't hear their profits from gp either, which tells me they're losing money from every corner.

dabear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 dabear

@hardwenzen: Again, weak.

Starfield was one of the best selling games in 2023.

For heaven's sake, there's an article on GameSpot that even says that.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By hardwenzen
@dabear said:

@hardwenzen: Again, weak.

Starfield was one of the best selling games in 2023.

For heaven's sake, there's an article on GameSpot that even says that.

Sure, show me the numbers? All numbers are always hidden from Microsoft🤷‍♂️

Silentchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By Silentchief
Member since 2021 • 6943 Posts

Playstation brand will be completely irrelevant if they go day and date. Without a platform to push, single player exclusives will become less of a priority. If they do make PC priority live service will be their focus and they will be nothing more then a shitty publisher.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 HalcyonScarlet

@loudheadphones said:
@dabear said:

Hellblade 2 is good looking walking sim. :/

MS is kidding themselves if they think they'll find a market for movie games on Xbox. That market is pretty much exclusive to PlayStation.

In general, gamers on Xbox, PC and Nintendo platforms expect more gameplay based games.

MAYBE Indiana Jones may work because of the material the game is based on.

I think the difference is that PlayStation gamers began getting conditioned for these kinds of games since the PS1 and 2.

-Blasphemy-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 -Blasphemy-
Member since 2005 • 3369 Posts

With the Activision Blizzard merger they are done unless they buy Ubisoft or EA.

Antwan3K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By Antwan3K
@silentchief said:

Playstation brand will be completely irrelevant if they go day and date. Without a platform to push, single player exclusives will become less of a priority. If they do make PC priority live service will be their focus and they will be nothing more then a shitty publisher.

do you honestly believe the only thing that kept the PlayStation brand relevant in 2023 was Spiderman 2?.. one "system seller" 1st party out of 12 months?.. what AAA PlayStation 1st party titles are keeping the PS5 relevant in 2024?..

the fact is the most played games on PS5 aren't Sony exclusives.. they're games like Call of Duty and Fortnite.. games that are also available on PC, Day and Date.. PS5s will continue to sell like hotcakes regardless of what Sony releases or doesn't release because they have solidified brand power..

the console market is stronger than ever before and PlayStation is the de-facto console brand.. it doesn't matter what's happening on PC, console gamers will continue to buy consoles and they simply prefer to buy PlayStations.. that has been the case for literally every console generation since Sony entered the market..

that dynamic isn't going to magically change if Wolverine is Day and Date on PC in 2025..

Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#100 Nonstop-Madness
Member since 2008 • 12331 Posts

@Antwan3K: Insomniac doesn't have any plans to release Wolverine day one on PC per their leak.

And fwiw, @silentchief says *single player exclusives*.

4 out of the top 20 best selling games on PlayStation in 2023 (USA) were single player exclusives.

- Spider-Man 2, GoW Ragnarok, GT7* and, FF16. (*technically GaaS, imo)

There's also this:

https://gamingbolt.com/ps5-players-spend-much-more-time-playing-single-player-games-than-multiplayer-ones-leaked-documents-suggest

---

I understand people's perspectives on the topic but, PlayStation's content strategy over the next 4-5 years does *NOT* include releasing their single player games day one on PC. That's a fundamental misunderstanding of their strategy and the steps they've taken to expand their group of studios and portfolio.

They're expanding onto other platforms through GaaS; Marathon, Helldivers 2, Concord, Fairgame$, Horizon MP, Horizon MMO, London Studios GaaS etc. *That* is their path forward for the foreseeable future.