Some Little Known Facts About The Wii U

• 179 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

Nintendo's handling of the Wii U has been shocking. The console, which will be their flagship product for the next five years at least, launches at most in four months, and people still know pretty much nothing about the system.

Since System Wars loves proliferating misinformation about the system, I decided to clear up some facts about the Wii U. It's not going to be the PS2 of the next generation like some of us might have hoped initially, and it will probably be the next Wii more than anything, but still, there are some things it is doing right.

• The Wii U uses a proprietary Blu Ray disc format for its games. Much like the Wii, which used a proprietary DVD format that Nintendo specifically developed for the console, the Wii U uses a modified Blu Ray format. A Wii U disc holds 25 GB of data per layer, which is the exact same as a Blu Ray disc. In spite of this, however, the Wii U will not play Blu Ray or DVD movies, a decision Nintendo probably made to avoid licensing fees.
  • The Wii U will be the first console to have every single one of its games release at both retail, and digital, day one. The Wii U eShop will have every single game available on it digitally from day one itself, just in case you like digital better than retail. And for those of you worried about Nintendo's DRM that ties purchases to your system, and the lack of user accounts...
  • The Wii U has user accounts. Only seven years late to the party, the Wii U is the first Nintendo system that supports user accounts. All purchases, achievements, and game play time tracking will be tied directly to your user account. More importantly, there will be support for multiple user accounts per system, unlike the Wii and 3DS.
  • No more Friend Codes. This of course means that there will be no more friend codes on the Wii U. Your one user account can be used to add friends, access leaderboards, track achievements, and more.
  • The first system ever to have a social network integrated at the OS level. Nintendo is creating an entirely new social network for the Wii U (which it promises will later come to the 3DS too) in the hopes to recreate that feel of community gaming that existed before the rise of the internet, on the internet. Miiverse has status messages, video and screenshot sharing, messaging, user tips and help, and more. The Wii U thus becomes the first system to integrate a social network at the OS level.
  • The Wii U (probably) has 1.5 GB RAM on the final retail system... and 512 MB of this is saved for the OS. In what is unprecedented, Nintendo is reportedly dedicating 512MB of its system memory to just the OS. This is probably to enable full multitasking, Miiverse, streaming to the controller, and more, all at once, but it hints at a fully featured OS for Nintendo's new system. For context, 512MB is the total RAM that Xbox 360 and PS3 have available to them. Nintendo is apparently saving that much just for OS processes.
  • Your WiiWare and Virtual Console purchases will carry over to the Wii U. Nintendo has announced that all of your WiiWare and Virtual Console purchases made on the Wii will carry over to the Wii U. The exact process that will enable this is as yet unknown - it might be similar to how Nintendo managed it on the DSi and 3DS, but they might retroactively enable user accounts on the Wii.
  • The Wii U will play used games. Unlike both the next Xbox and the PS4, which are rumored to block used games, the Wii U will play used and borrowed games without any restrictions or limitations.
  • Free online: The Wii U will offer free online play, and basic Miiverse access. Nintendo did, however, state that it was looking into offering a PS+ kind of tiered paid service for the system.
  • 3D Compatible: The Wii U supports the HDMI 1.3 output standard, which means that if it is connected to a 3DTV, it can output 3D images, if the software supports it.
  • The Wii U is open: It allows for any hard drive and any SD card to be plugged into the console and used for storage via its USB slots and SD card slot. You can use any hard drive you want to with the Wii U, like the PS3.
  • Media functionality. Nintendo will not allow for DVDs and Blu Rays to play on the Wii U. However, they have expanded the media functionality of the Wii U, allowing for Amazon Instant, Netflix, Hulu Plus, and Youtube. There is also allegedly an eBook marketplace in the works.
  • Apparently, there will be an apps marketplace. This is one of the oldest and most persistent rumors about the system, and we haven't received confirmation about it either way, so just take it with a pinch of salt.

So yes, the Wii U might be doing a lot wrong, but there's a lot that is surprisingly progressive about it, even more so when one considers that this is all coming from Nintendo.

kabphillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 kabphillie
Member since 2012 • 291 Posts

Sounds like a worthy console to me, if the price is right. This is apart from the usually top-notch first party titles, and hopefully improved 3rd party support.

Bardock47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Bardock47
Member since 2008 • 5429 Posts

Not gonna lie, this has gotten me much more pumped about the wii-u. No friend codes, it sounds like it could be getting really close to what PSN and Live is. I dont expect to have to pay for online, which will make live look iike a joke. I am now very excited for the Wii-U.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#4 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

Day fuking one, locked and loaded. :P

PCgameruk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 PCgameruk
Member since 2012 • 2273 Posts

So does the WiiU have a hard drive or what? If its offering all its games digital then it need something to store em on.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Not gonna lie, this has gotten me much more pumped about the wii-u. No friend codes, it sounds like it could be getting really close to what PSN and Live is. I dont expect to have to pay for online, which will make live look iike a joke. I am now very excited for the Wii-U.

Bardock47
Basic online access and Miiverse have been confirmed to be free. Nintendo did say they might look into a PSN+ like service for the Wii U though. I should probably add that to the OP.
YoshiYogurt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 YoshiYogurt
Member since 2010 • 6008 Posts

Day fuking one, locked and loaded. :P

Bigboi500
Couldn't have said it better myself!
bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#8 bbkkristian
Member since 2008 • 14971 Posts
Yay, no more friend codes!! :D I hope Nintendo follows through with the WiiWare/VC transfers unlike Sony's promise to have UMD transfers to Vita.
YoshiYogurt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 YoshiYogurt
[QUOTE="Bardock47"]

charizard1605
Basic online access and Miiverse have been confirmed to be free. Nintendo did say they might look into a PSN+ like service for the Wii U though. I should probably add that to the OP.

I would most definitely drop live and get Nintendo+ account...
Avatar image for deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6
deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6
Member since 2009 • 6176 Posts

Some good features in there, all I'm waiting for now is a price and a release date.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Yay, no more friend codes!! :D I hope Nintendo follows through with the WiiWare/VC transfers unlike Sony's promise to have UMD transfers to Vita. bbkkristian
They already did it once with the DSi and 3DS, which was much harder to implement. I'd say they have a better track record, generally speaking, than Sony when it comes to this.
Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

So does the WiiU have a hard drive or what? If its offering all its games digital then it need something to store em on.

PCgameruk

It's rumored to have three different sku's ranging from $249 to $349 and if that's true there might be different sized HDDs (I sure hope so).

YoshiYogurt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 YoshiYogurt
[QUOTE="bbkkristian"]Yay, no more friend codes!! :D I hope Nintendo follows through with the WiiWare/VC transfers unlike Sony's promise to have UMD transfers to Vita. charizard1605
They already did it once with the DSi and 3DS, which was much harder to implement. I'd say they have a better track record, generally speaking, than Sony when it comes to this.

Sony's horrible record and ridiculous pricing of digital games and memory cards has spooked me out of getting a PSP or Vita...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

[QUOTE="PCgameruk"]

Bigboi500

It's rumored to have three different sku's ranging from $249 to $349 and if that's true there might be different sized HDDs (I sure hope so).

I think the SKUs have nothing to do with hard drive size. I think each SKU ships with 8GB of on board flash memory. From my understanding, here's the SKU configuration: $249: Wii U console+controller $299: Wii U console+Nintendo Land $349: Wii U console:controller+Nintendo Land+Wii U Pro controller
Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 Shinobishyguy
Member since 2006 • 22928 Posts
So is it absolutely confirmed that there is no friendcodes, or is it like the 3ds where there's only one per console/account?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
So is it absolutely confirmed that there is no friendcodes, or is it like the 3ds where there's only one per console/account?Shinobishyguy
Nintendo said no Friend Codes, or that at the very least, they will be transparent and in the background (like Steam's Account Names and User Names)
RulerofGondor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 RulerofGondor
Member since 2011 • 401 Posts
That is a surprisingly full featured list

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6

Well they better have better options for harddrive space than8GBs of on board flash memory. Seriously not going to cut it when disc games gone digital will most probably 8-10GB and beyond. 250GB-500GB we need.

crippled_ram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 crippled_ram
Member since 2010 • 1583 Posts
Okay, I admit, that looks good.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Well they better have better options for harddrive space than8GBs of on board flash memory. Seriously not going to cut it when disc games gone digital will most probably 8-10GB and beyond. 250GB-500GB we need.

Crossel777
Like it says in the OP, you can use any hard drive you own with the Wii U. It's open standard.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6
[QUOTE="Crossel777"]

charizard1605
Like it says in the OP, you can use any hard drive you own with the Wii U. It's open standard.

Oh sweet, must of missed that one. Still have to pay more if it's not included with the console though. D:
Avatar image for deactivated-609eda8a7edd0
deactivated-609eda8a7edd0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#22 deactivated-609eda8a7edd0
Member since 2012 • 1173 Posts
All of this has pretty much has me wanting this console. All I need now is a price that isn't going to take the piss and I am set.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
[QUOTE="charizard1605"][QUOTE="Crossel777"]

Crossel777

Oh sweet, must of missed that one. Still have to pay more if it's not included with the console though. D:

It's annoying, but I'm glad that at least it isn't a closed proprietary standard like Microsoft with the Xbox 360 and Sony with the PS Vita.
Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#24 Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9900 Posts
Sounds like very standard stuff. Lack of RAM is disturbing though.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

[QUOTE="YoshiYogurt"]Sony's horrible record and ridiculous pricing of digital games and memory cards has spooked me out of getting a PSP or Vita... Slashkice

I won't argue the memory cards, but games? They have issues there as well, but they've set a precedent for offering discounts on digital titles unlike a certain other publisher (re: Nintendo).

In fact, in the UK, New Super Mario Bros. 2 costs more on the eShop than it does at retail :? Thankfully, as they proved earlier this year, Nintendo finally seem to be learning the concept of sales. Well, somewhat.
MFDOOM1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 MFDOOM1983
Member since 2010 • 8465 Posts
[QUOTE="charizard1605"][QUOTE="Crossel777"][QUOTE="charizard1605"] Like it says in the OP, you can use any hard drive you own with the Wii U. It's open standard.

It's annoying, but I'm glad that at least it isn't a closed proprietary standard like Microsoft with the Xbox 360 and Sony with the PS Vita.

MS uses standard Laptop HDDs, so you buy an enclosure case and use your own drive. Or you can just buy 3rd party HDDs with 120GB-320GB HDD for $30-$60.
PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#28 PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30574 Posts

Sounds very good! 512mb for the OS alone sounds too much, though.

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#29 parkurtommo
Member since 2009 • 28295 Posts

I thought we were suppose to bash the wiiu, chaz

MFDOOM1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 MFDOOM1983

Sounds very good! 512mb for the OS alone sounds too much, though.

PAL360
TBF the Japanese seem incompetent in regards to OS efficiency(ps3), or it really is demanding.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

parkurtommo
Yes, this is the first step towards that. [QUOTE="MFDOOM1983"] TBF the Japanese seem incompetent in regards to OS efficiency(ps3), or it really is demanding.

Considering that the Wii U has to run the Miiverse in the background, has full multitasking, and also probably has to stream video fully to at least one controller while also accepting inputs from up to four other controllers, while ALSO outputting HD video... Well, I think 512MB might be required. Nintendo might just be future proofing the system.
parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#32 parkurtommo
Member since 2009 • 28295 Posts
[QUOTE="parkurtommo"]

charizard1605
Yes, this is the first step towards that.

Ok then.
MFDOOM1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 MFDOOM1983

[QUOTE="parkurtommo"]

charizard1605

Yes, this is the first step towards that.
TBF the Japanese seem incompetent in regards to OS efficiency(ps3), or it really is demanding. MFDOOM1983
Considering that the Wii U has to run the Miiverse in the background, has full multitasking, and also probably has to stream video fully to at least one controller while also accepting inputs from up to four other controllers, while ALSO outputting HD video... Well, I think 512MB might be required. Nintendo might just be future proofing the system.

Future proofing with 1.5GB of RAM? :P

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#34 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13670 Posts

• The Wii U uses a proprietary Blu Ray disc format for its games. Much like the Wii, which used a proprietary DVD format that Nintendo specifically developed for the console, the Wii U uses a modified Blu Ray format. A Wii U disc holds 25 GB of data per layer, which is the exact same as a Blu Ray disc. In spite of this, however, the Wii U will not play Blu Ray or DVD movies, a decision Nintendo probably made to avoid licensing fees.
  • The Wii U will be the first console to have every single one of its games release at both retail, and digital, day one. The Wii U eShop will have every single game available on it digitally from day one itself, just in case you like digital better than retail. And for those of you worried about Nintendo's DRM that ties purchases to your system, and the lack of user accounts...

charizard1605

If it uses Blu Ray type storage media, developers are going to be liberal with how big they make games, so how are people going download huge games.

Also this will alienate the retail community if Nintendo do day one DD and retail. It's one of the reasons MS don't push hard with their full games on XBL because retailers don't want to have to compete with them at the same time. The profit margin on each game isn't huge as it is.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts
Glad to ear that the VC will carry over.
Avatar image for GunSmith1_basic
GunSmith1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#36 GunSmith1_basic
Member since 2002 • 10548 Posts
Sounds like very standard stuff. Lack of RAM is disturbing though. Sushiglutton
I agree. No one was expecting anything incredible to rival the next MS and Sony consoles but could it have been so hard to have even 3-4 gigs? Not to mention they have dual screen setup there which might make games even more taxing. Of course however we don't know for certain just yet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Future proofing with 1.5GB of RAM? :P

MFDOOM1983
Well, future proofing their OS anyway :P
GD1551

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 GD1551
Member since 2011 • 9645 Posts

So yes, the Wii U might be doing a lot wrong, but there's a lot that is surprisingly progressive about it, even more so when one considers that this is all coming from Nintendo.

charizard1605

Nothing you listed but the social network thing is progressive and the social network thing hasn't even been tested by the public to see how well it works.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

[QUOTE="charizard1605"]

GD1551

Nothing you listed but the social network thing is progressive and the social network thing hasn't even been tested by the public to see how well it works.

All games being available digitally day one is also progressive, I'd say.
Joedgabe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Joedgabe
Member since 2006 • 5134 Posts

The price is the only thing that will decide wether it will do well or not.

YoshiYogurt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 YoshiYogurt
[QUOTE="Bigboi500"]

[QUOTE="PCgameruk"]

charizard1605

I think the SKUs have nothing to do with hard drive size. I think each SKU ships with 8GB of on board flash memory. From my understanding, here's the SKU configuration: $249: Wii U console+controller $299: Wii U console+Nintendo Land $349: Wii U console:controller+Nintendo Land+Wii U Pro controller

That seems pretty ridiculous. Here's what I hope the bundles will be... $249: Wii U console 8gbs + Nintendo Land $299: Wii U console (64gb/120gb/250gbs(SOME larger memory format, who knows what they would offer if they do offer larger memory) + Nintendo Land $349: Wii U console +more memory +Nintendo Land+Wii U Pro controller
SonySoldier-_-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 SonySoldier-_-
Member since 2012 • 1186 Posts

Sounds like a good list of features. I just wish the Wii U specs weren't so dated. Then they wouldn't have to worry about missing out on so many multi plats when PS4 and 720 arrive.

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#43 super600  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 33103 Posts

I can't wait for this console to release even though I will most likely not buy it when it launches.

psymon100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 psymon100
Member since 2012 • 6835 Posts

You can always count on charizard to deliver the goods.

I think Wii U's going to be a good system. I think that with the Wii U Gamepad and Wiimotes, it should have the best controllers for more traditional and casual games respectively. (I will 'know' for sure once I have spent some time playing on it)

What I really want to know is:

• How much is it going to cost to buy a second gamepad?
  • What does the 2013 launch window have in store?
  • Is the pricing in the Wii U eShop akin to Xbox Live Games on Demand (too expensive) or Steam (frequent sales etc) ?

Only time will tell.

Swanogt19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Swanogt19
Member since 2008 • 24159 Posts
Starting to sound a little better.
Joedgabe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Joedgabe

[QUOTE="charizard1605"][QUOTE="Bigboi500"]It's rumored to have three different sku's ranging from $249 to $349 and if that's true there might be different sized HDDs (I sure hope so).

YoshiYogurt

That seems pretty ridiculous. Here's what I hope the bundles will be... $249: Wii U console 8gbs + Nintendo Land $299: Wii U console (64gb/120gb/250gbs(SOME larger memory format, who knows what they would offer if they do offer larger memory) + Nintendo Land $349: Wii U console +more memory +Nintendo Land+Wii U Pro controller

For some reason.... i doubt it will cost $250 Like i really doubt it..

YoshiYogurt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 YoshiYogurt

[QUOTE="YoshiYogurt"][QUOTE="charizard1605"] I think the SKUs have nothing to do with hard drive size. I think each SKU ships with 8GB of on board flash memory. From my understanding, here's the SKU configuration: $249: Wii U console+controller $299: Wii U console+Nintendo Land $349: Wii U console:controller+Nintendo Land+Wii U Pro controllerJoedgabe

$300 for 8gbs is pretty ridiculous IMO. I'm getting the highest tier unit anyway though.
Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#48 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

I heard rumor floating around that the system has 2.5GB of memory, but there's a lot of numbers floating around about the Wii U, so it's anybody's guess. Still, the system is shaping up well. Waiting on that September 13 event...

spookykid143

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 spookykid143
Member since 2009 • 10393 Posts

The only reason I would get a Wii U is for No More Heroes 3.

Joedgabe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Joedgabe

[QUOTE="Joedgabe"]

[QUOTE="YoshiYogurt"] That seems pretty ridiculous. Here's what I hope the bundles will be... $249: Wii U console 8gbs + Nintendo Land $299: Wii U console (64gb/120gb/250gbs(SOME larger memory format, who knows what they would offer if they do offer larger memory) + Nintendo Land $349: Wii U console +more memory +Nintendo Land+Wii U Pro controllerYoshiYogurt

$300 for 8gbs is pretty ridiculous IMO. I'm getting the highest tier unit anyway though.

Well i'm basing my hunch on the fact that the 3DS release price point was $250 and they had to cut the price to sell more and had to make some cuts in some people's paycheck. Now there's no way i would believe it cost almost the same to make a 3DS and a Wii-U.