Some Little Known Facts About The Wii U

• 179 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for GunSmith1_basic
GunSmith1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 0

#101 GunSmith1_basic
Member since 2002 • 10548 Posts
I really don't want to get the WiiU but I want one of my friends to get one so I can try it. I've been jaded by the squandered potential of the Wii. I still can't believe that it took nearly a whole gen and a tech upgrade to deliver the experience they promised (Skyward Sword), and that game had other problems.
Kaze_no_Mirai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#103 Kaze_no_Mirai
Member since 2004 • 11763 Posts
I REALLY doubt that Nintendo will have all retail games available on the eShop day one.
Gamingclone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#104 Gamingclone
Member since 2009 • 5224 Posts

I am so ready to buy this day one! Cant wait for the 13th.

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts

[QUOTE="AmazonTreeBoa"][QUOTE="crippled_ram"] But the Wii U is not a current gen system, it is a next gen system.Wiiyou

It is current gen to me. I couldn't care less what others consider it.

Get a PC if graphic is all you care about...

I have a PC. It is my main gaming system.
Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#106 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

Thanks Chaz..I think thisMIGHTput all those nay-sayers to sleep about how lame the Wii U is..there is still not much we know about but overall a good list of features Nintendo didn't really lay out on the table for people..Chaz you should work for Nintendo instead:twisted:

Mantleman
Yes, but they won't accept my application :(

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Vita yo

The Wii U is the first home console to do it, though the others will surely do the same since the groundwork was laid down this gen.

Slashkice
Yep, the Vita is the first system to do it. The Wii U is the first home console ever to do it.
I REALLY doubt that Nintendo will have all retail games available on the eShop day one.Kaze_no_Mirai
They've already said that the Wii U will have all games on the eShop day one.
Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts
Xbox is nothing in Japan and Sony is in trouble. It is very possible wiiu can end up dominating the market.
Mario1331

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#109 Mario1331
Member since 2005 • 8929 Posts

[QUOTE="crippled_ram"][QUOTE="AmazonTreeBoa"]I already own one current gen console. I don't need another one. I am waiting til next gen to see what the PS4 offers. If they fight used games on the PS4, then I am done with consoles altogether.AmazonTreeBoa
But the Wii U is not a current gen system, it is a next gen system.

so what would it have to actually have to be considered next gen to you?

Kaze_no_Mirai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 Kaze_no_Mirai
They've already said that the Wii U will have all games on the eShop day one.charizard1605
Yeah, I know that. They can make claims but accomplishing them on time is another thing. For some reason, I really have my doubts they will. Also there are contradicting reports on FC. Just yesterday I believe someone on the Wii U/ Wii boards asked if FCs would be returning and the only evidence presented was that they would return in "some" form.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
[QUOTE="charizard1605"]They've already said that the Wii U will have all games on the eShop day one.Kaze_no_Mirai
Yeah, I know that. They can make claims but accomplishing them on time is another thing. For some reason, I really have my doubts they will. Also there are contradicting reports on FC. Just yesterday I believe someone on the Wii U/ Wii boards asked if FCs would be returning and the only evidence presented was that they would return in "some" form.

Worst case scenario that Nintendo outlined was that FCs return but in the background. Like Steam.
VendettaRed07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#112 VendettaRed07
Member since 2007 • 14012 Posts

All I need to see thursday, is some big first party awesome exclusives to look forward too next year. There is actually a lot of quality coming out this year, but it feels underwhelming because we don't know what is coming in the future.

If they just show a trailer, for Smash Bros. Zelda, Metroid, or some new IP, and some bigger third party games, then I will be sold

Kaze_no_Mirai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 Kaze_no_Mirai
Worst case scenario that Nintendo outlined was that FCs return but in the background. Like Steam.charizard1605
September 13 can't come soon enough. Regardless I will most likely get a Wii U day one :P
Gamingclone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 Gamingclone
Member since 2009 • 5224 Posts

[QUOTE="charizard1605"]Worst case scenario that Nintendo outlined was that FCs return but in the background. Like Steam.Kaze_no_Mirai
September 13 can't come soon enough. Regardless I will most likely get a Wii U day one :P

Yeah I so cant wait for the 13th. Im going to wait outside the store on the launch day.

ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 ionusX
Member since 2009 • 25777 Posts

one little known fact is that even after it launches your still going to be jelly of everyone but the lemmings :cool:

the lemmings will be beneath you cause they have no games :cool:

GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#116 GameboyTroy
Member since 2011 • 9740 Posts

The CPU is sort of a letdown, but everything else looks nice.

layton2012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 layton2012
Member since 2011 • 3489 Posts

[QUOTE="Kaze_no_Mirai"][QUOTE="charizard1605"]Worst case scenario that Nintendo outlined was that FCs return but in the background. Like Steam.Gamingclone

Yeah I so cant wait for the 13th. Im going to wait outside the store on the launch day.

I love your sig.
AtariKidX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#119 AtariKidX
Member since 2010 • 7156 Posts

Nintendo's handling of the Wii U has been shocking. The console, which will be their flagship product for the next five years at least, launches at most in four months, and people still know pretty much nothing about the system.

Since System Wars loves proliferating misinformation about the system, I decided to clear up some facts about the Wii U. It's not going to be the PS2 of the next generation like some of us might have hoped initially, and it will probably be the next Wii more than anything, but still, there are some things it is doing right.

• The Wii U uses a proprietary Blu Ray disc format for its games. Much like the Wii, which used a proprietary DVD format that Nintendo specifically developed for the console, the Wii U uses a modified Blu Ray format. A Wii U disc holds 25 GB of data per layer, which is the exact same as a Blu Ray disc. In spite of this, however, the Wii U will not play Blu Ray or DVD movies, a decision Nintendo probably made to avoid licensing fees.
  • The Wii U will be the first console to have every single one of its games release at both retail, and digital, day one. The Wii U eShop will have every single game available on it digitally from day one itself, just in case you like digital better than retail. And for those of you worried about Nintendo's DRM that ties purchases to your system, and the lack of user accounts...
  • The Wii U has user accounts. Only seven years late to the party, the Wii U is the first Nintendo system that supports user accounts. All purchases, achievements, and game play time tracking will be tied directly to your user account. More importantly, there will be support for multiple user accounts per system, unlike the Wii and 3DS.
  • No more Friend Codes. This of course means that there will be no more friend codes on the Wii U. Your one user account can be used to add friends, access leaderboards, track achievements, and more.
  • The first system ever to have a social network integrated at the OS level. Nintendo is creating an entirely new social network for the Wii U (which it promises will later come to the 3DS too) in the hopes to recreate that feel of community gaming that existed before the rise of the internet, on the internet. Miiverse has status messages, video and screenshot sharing, messaging, user tips and help, and more. The Wii U thus becomes the first system to integrate a social network at the OS level.
  • The Wii U (probably) has 1.5 GB RAM on the final retail system... and 512 MB of this is saved for the OS. In what is unprecedented, Nintendo is reportedly dedicating 512MB of its system memory to just the OS. This is probably to enable full multitasking, Miiverse, streaming to the controller, and more, all at once, but it hints at a fully featured OS for Nintendo's new system. For context, 512MB is the total RAM that Xbox 360 and PS3 have available to them. Nintendo is apparently saving that much just for OS processes.
  • Your WiiWare and Virtual Console purchases will carry over to the Wii U. Nintendo has announced that all of your WiiWare and Virtual Console purchases made on the Wii will carry over to the Wii U. The exact process that will enable this is as yet unknown - it might be similar to how Nintendo managed it on the DSi and 3DS, but they might retroactively enable user accounts on the Wii.
  • The Wii U will play used games. Unlike both the next Xbox and the PS4, which are rumored to block used games, the Wii U will play used and borrowed games without any restrictions or limitations.
  • Free online: The Wii U will offer free online play, and basic Miiverse access. Nintendo did, however, state that it was looking into offering a PS+ kind of tiered paid service for the system.
  • 3D Compatible: The Wii U supports the HDMI 1.3 output standard, which means that if it is connected to a 3DTV, it can output 3D images, if the software supports it.
  • The Wii U is open: It allows for any hard drive and any SD card to be plugged into the console and used for storage via its USB slots and SD card slot. You can use any hard drive you want to with the Wii U, like the PS3.
  • Media functionality. Nintendo will not allow for DVDs and Blu Rays to play on the Wii U. However, they have expanded the media functionality of the Wii U, allowing for Amazon Instant, Netflix, Hulu Plus, and Youtube. There is also allegedly an eBook marketplace in the works.
  • Apparently, there will be an apps marketplace. This is one of the oldest and most persistent rumors about the system, and we haven't received confirmation about it either way, so just take it with a pinch of salt.

So yes, the Wii U might be doing a lot wrong, but there's a lot that is surprisingly progressive about it, even more so when one considers that this is all coming from Nintendo.

charizard1605

Nothing really impressive...lol

Some Little Known Facts.....buy a PS3 and you can have all of them and more.PS3 also have a 320HDD and it can play BR Movies....the WiiU don't.

WiiU is just a 350$ XBOX360 7 years later....and it sounds like a total unworthy console.PS3>>>>>>>>>>>>>>WiiU.....FACT.

psymon100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 psymon100
Member since 2012 • 6835 Posts

The CPU is sort of a letdown, but everything else looks nice.

GameboyTroy

Dude. It is a PowerPC, the POWER7 same as the WATSON architecture by IBM. Just picking a couple of specs, 4 by simultaneous multithreading (SMT) per core, and quad core (they go to 8 core, but I chose the minimum for this example), therefore 16 SMT threads for the CPU; also - 1.2billion transistors, 4MB L3 cache. Compare that to the Xenon in the 360. 2 by SMT per core, and 3 cores, therefore only 6 SMT threads for the CPU, only 0.165billion transistors, and not one single byte of L3 cache.

What were you expecting?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

*fanboy dribble*AtariKidX
Yawn
Dude. It is a PowerPC, the POWER7 same as the WATSON architecture by IBM. Just picking a couple of specs, 4 by simultaneous multithreading (SMT) per core, and quad core (they go to 8 core, but I chose the minimum for this example), therefore 16 SMT threads for the CPU; also - 1.2billion transistors, 4MB L3 cache. Compare that to the Xenon in the 360.2 by SMT per core, and 3 cores, therefore only 6 SMT threads for the CPU, only 0.165billion transistors, and not one single byte of L3 cache.

What were you expecting?

psymon100

Is this actually confirmed?

psymon100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 psymon100
Member since 2012 • 6835 Posts

[QUOTE="AtariKidX"]*fanboy dribble*charizard1605

Yawn
Dude. It is a PowerPC, the POWER7 same as the WATSON architecture by IBM. Just picking a couple of specs, 4 by simultaneous multithreading (SMT) per core, and quad core (they go to 8 core, but I chose the minimum for this example), therefore 16 SMT threads for the CPU; also - 1.2billion transistors, 4MB L3 cache. Compare that to the Xenon in the 360.2 by SMT per core, and 3 cores, therefore only 6 SMT threads for the CPU, only 0.165billion transistors, and not one single byte of L3 cache.

What were you expecting?

psymon100

Well, Nintendo themselves say IBM PowerPC, and Wikipedia says it will be a Power7, and IBM Watson tweeted this which is Wikipedia's source. What do you think, is that enough? I think that gives it a +95% chance of it having PowerPC Power8.

Would love it to be the 8 core model at 3.2Ghz but it's probably too expensive.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Well, Nintendo themselves say IBM PowerPC, and Wikipedia says it will be a Power7, and IBM Watson tweeted this which is Wikipedia's source. What do you think, is that enough? I think that gives it a +95% chance of it having PowerPC Power8.

psymon100

I think that's substantially better than people were giving it credit for. Not PS4/Next Xbox level, but impressive nonetheless. I should probably put that in the OP too.

layton2012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 layton2012
I don't get what the big deal of having a blu ray player, if I want a blu ray, I will get a blu ray for 80$ not a game system for 250+.
AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts

[QUOTE="AmazonTreeBoa"][QUOTE="crippled_ram"] But the Wii U is not a current gen system, it is a next gen system.Mario1331

so what would it have to actually have to be considered next gen to you?

New gen specs. After the Wii, I stop counting a console as next gen based off it's release date. If they want me to consider a console next gen, then it better have next gen specs and the Wii U doesn't, so it isn't next gen to me.
HAZE-Unit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 HAZE-Unit
Member since 2007 • 10564 Posts

Sounds very appealing to me to upgrade from the old HD twins, might play the upcoming multiplatforms on the Wii U this year.

The UI and OS sounds very good, plus the gamepad, Wii U gonna be great, might be my first Nintendo console in years.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
I don't get what the big deal of having a blu ray player, if I want a blu ray, I will get a blu ray for 80$ not a game system for 250+.layton2012
The appeal of having only one box under the TV. Basically, electronics convergence. Makes sense to me.
locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts
I don't get what the big deal of having a blu ray player, if I want a blu ray, I will get a blu ray for 80$ not a game system for 250+.layton2012
The same appeal of having your mobile phone take pictures, play music, browse the net, etc. It's not the main purpose but it's cool to have those extra features.
ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#129 ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

[QUOTE="charizard1605"]

[QUOTE="AtariKidX"] Yawn [QUOTE="psymon100"] Dude. It is a PowerPC, the POWER7 same as the WATSON architecture by IBM. Just picking a couple of specs, 4 by simultaneous multithreading (SMT) per core, and quad core (they go to 8 core, but I chose the minimum for this example), therefore 16 SMT threads for the CPU; also - 1.2billion transistors, 4MB L3 cache. Compare that to the Xenon in the 360.2 by SMT per core, and 3 cores, therefore only 6 SMT threads for the CPU, only 0.165billion transistors, and not one single byte of L3 cache.

What were you expecting?

psymon100

Current IBM POWER7 (8 cores) has a die size of 567 mm^2 on a 45 nm process with ~200 watts @ 3.8Ghz. Good luck in fitting 200 watts CPU into a small box.

IBM POWER7 (8 cores) 's die size is larger than the current AMD Radeon HD 7970's 352 mm^2 die size!!!

Each POWER7 CPU core can issue 6 instructions per cycle while Xbox 360/PS3's PPE core can issue 2 instructions per cycle.

PowerPC 970 (G5) CPU core can issue 5 instructions per cycle.

For games, a system with large CPU(e.g. Power7 Quad Core) with small GPU(e.g. Radeon HD 4770) would be destroyed by small CPU (e.g. AMD Steamroller Quad Core) with large GPU (e.g. Radeon HD 7850) combo (e.g. AMD Liverpool APU).

PA_DUTCH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 PA_DUTCH
Member since 2008 • 908 Posts

I'm glad its full BC. Not sure if I will be getting one though, As i don't have a PS3 or 360 (cheeper games at this point). I don't think that applies to most people though. Still a bit worried it will not get all games moving forward. Also worried about the durability of the controller. Still i hope they can follow up the wii with something better, no flops

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#131 super600  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 33103 Posts

[QUOTE="psymon100"]

charizard1605

I think that's substantially better than people were giving it credit for. Not PS4/Next Xbox level, but impressive nonetheless. I should probably put that in the OP too.

There's a decent chance it may be a lower clocked version of that which may be slightly weaker.This pretty much fits my prediction to how powerful the console may be, but SW doesn't think the console will display visuals at barely above 360/PS3 levels which I laugh at.

Rockman999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 Rockman999
Member since 2005 • 7507 Posts
I have a couple of questions reguarding Wii software playback and system colors available at launch. Will the system upscale the resolution of Wii games and will it play all Wii games? Also, in what colors will the system be launching in(NA)?
Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts

The Wii U will be the first console to have every single one of its games release at both retail, and digital, day one. charizard1605
Another nail in the overdue coffin of gamestop. Retail games will be a thing of the past by the end of the next gen.

dreamdude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134 dreamdude
Member since 2006 • 4627 Posts

Nintendo pretty much owns my wallet.

They are kind enough to lend it to me for food and gas from time to time though...

Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135 Shinobishyguy
Member since 2006 • 22928 Posts
I hoping the rumors of the multiple SKU's are true. I'd be all over a $250 model.
dreamdude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136 dreamdude
Member since 2006 • 4627 Posts

I hoping the rumors of the multiple SKU's are true. I'd be all over a $250 model.Shinobishyguy

If it's true, then I hope the black color is available for all options. I need the black WiiU to match my black Wii and PS3.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
I have a couple of questions reguarding Wii software playback and system colors available at launch. Will the system upscale the resolution of Wii games and will it play all Wii games? Also, in what colors will the system be launching in(NA)? Rockman999
The system is confirmed to be launching in both black and white. From what Nintendo confirmed last I know, it will not upscale Wii games.
clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29827 Posts

[QUOTE="charizard1605"]The Wii U will be the first console to have every single one of its games release at both retail, and digital, day one. blue_hazy_basic

Another nail in the overdue coffin of gamestop. Retail games will be a thing of the past by the end of the next gen.

I'm a little torn about that. I do like having a physical copy of things. Oh well, times change.
Chris_Williams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139 Chris_Williams
Member since 2009 • 14882 Posts

I know a little known fact about the Wii-u myself, I know for a fact i'm not buying one

Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140 Shinobishyguy
Member since 2006 • 22928 Posts

All I need to see thursday, is some big first party awesome exclusives to look forward too next year. There is actually a lot of quality coming out this year, but it feels underwhelming because we don't know what is coming in the future.

If they just show a trailer, for Smash Bros. Zelda, Metroid, or some new IP, and some bigger third party games, then I will be sold

VendettaRed07
I wouldn't get my hopes up. Chances are this conference is just for announcing the launch date, pricing, and outlining it's online structure and features. All other game info will be for stuff that's coming out in the launch window.
jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#141 jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts

the virtual console was always the biggest draw....

my only other issue is can i play games from the wii that doesn't require that stupid wand....the wand was the only reason i didnt buy a wii in the first place.

drufeous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142 drufeous
Member since 2004 • 2535 Posts

So you are saying that I can save Wii U games on my 350gig PS3? Was going to get Wii U regardless but now this has me pumped.

amaneuvering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#143 amaneuvering
Member since 2009 • 4809 Posts

Nintendo's handling of the Wii U has been shocking. The console, which will be their flagship product for the next five years at least, launches at most in four months, and people still know pretty much nothing about the system.

Since System Wars loves proliferating misinformation about the system, I decided to clear up some facts about the Wii U. It's not going to be the PS2 of the next generation like some of us might have hoped initially, and it will probably be the next Wii more than anything, but still, there are some things it is doing right.

• The Wii U uses a proprietary Blu Ray disc format for its games. Much like the Wii, which used a proprietary DVD format that Nintendo specifically developed for the console, the Wii U uses a modified Blu Ray format. A Wii U disc holds 25 GB of data per layer, which is the exact same as a Blu Ray disc. In spite of this, however, the Wii U will not play Blu Ray or DVD movies, a decision Nintendo probably made to avoid licensing fees.
  • The Wii U will be the first console to have every single one of its games release at both retail, and digital, day one. The Wii U eShop will have every single game available on it digitally from day one itself, just in case you like digital better than retail. And for those of you worried about Nintendo's DRM that ties purchases to your system, and the lack of user accounts...
  • The Wii U has user accounts. Only seven years late to the party, the Wii U is the first Nintendo system that supports user accounts. All purchases, achievements, and game play time tracking will be tied directly to your user account. More importantly, there will be support for multiple user accounts per system, unlike the Wii and 3DS.
  • No more Friend Codes. This of course means that there will be no more friend codes on the Wii U. Your one user account can be used to add friends, access leaderboards, track achievements, and more.
  • The first system ever to have a social network integrated at the OS level. Nintendo is creating an entirely new social network for the Wii U (which it promises will later come to the 3DS too) in the hopes to recreate that feel of community gaming that existed before the rise of the internet, on the internet. Miiverse has status messages, video and screenshot sharing, messaging, user tips and help, and more. The Wii U thus becomes the first system to integrate a social network at the OS level.
  • The Wii U (probably) has 1.5 GB RAM on the final retail system... and 512 MB of this is saved for the OS. In what is unprecedented, Nintendo is reportedly dedicating 512MB of its system memory to just the OS. This is probably to enable full multitasking, Miiverse, streaming to the controller, and more, all at once, but it hints at a fully featured OS for Nintendo's new system. For context, 512MB is the total RAM that Xbox 360 and PS3 have available to them. Nintendo is apparently saving that much just for OS processes.
  • Your WiiWare and Virtual Console purchases will carry over to the Wii U. Nintendo has announced that all of your WiiWare and Virtual Console purchases made on the Wii will carry over to the Wii U. The exact process that will enable this is as yet unknown - it might be similar to how Nintendo managed it on the DSi and 3DS, but they might retroactively enable user accounts on the Wii.
  • The Wii U will play used games. Unlike both the next Xbox and the PS4, which are rumored to block used games, the Wii U will play used and borrowed games without any restrictions or limitations.
  • Free online: The Wii U will offer free online play, and basic Miiverse access. Nintendo did, however, state that it was looking into offering a PS+ kind of tiered paid service for the system.
  • 3D Compatible: The Wii U supports the HDMI 1.3 output standard, which means that if it is connected to a 3DTV, it can output 3D images, if the software supports it.
  • The Wii U is open: It allows for any hard drive and any SD card to be plugged into the console and used for storage via its USB slots and SD card slot. You can use any hard drive you want to with the Wii U, like the PS3.
  • Media functionality. Nintendo will not allow for DVDs and Blu Rays to play on the Wii U. However, they have expanded the media functionality of the Wii U, allowing for Amazon Instant, Netflix, Hulu Plus, and Youtube. There is also allegedly an eBook marketplace in the works.
  • Apparently, there will be an apps marketplace. This is one of the oldest and most persistent rumors about the system, and we haven't received confirmation about it either way, so just take it with a pinch of salt.

So yes, the Wii U might be doing a lot wrong, but there's a lot that is surprisingly progressive about it, even more so when one considers that this is all coming from Nintendo.

charizard1605

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2012/06/13/wii-u-will-feature-simplified-friend-codes

Might need to check a couple of other things too.

Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts
[QUOTE="blue_hazy_basic"]

[QUOTE="charizard1605"]The Wii U will be the first console to have every single one of its games release at both retail, and digital, day one. clone01

I'm a little torn about that. I do like having a physical copy of things. Oh well, times change.

I used to feel the same way. Now I look at my steam list and smile :)
GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#145 GameboyTroy
Member since 2011 • 9740 Posts

[QUOTE="psymon100"]

[QUOTE="charizard1605"] Is this actually confirmed?

ronvalencia

Current IBM POWER7 (8 cores) has a die size of 567 mm^2 on a 45 nm process with ~200 watts @ 3.8Ghz. Good luck in fitting 200 watts CPU into a small box.

IBM POWER7 (8 cores) 's die size is larger than the current AMD Radeon HD 7970's 352 mm^2 die size!!!

Each POWER7 CPU core can issue 6 instructions per cycle while Xbox 360/PS3's PPE core can issue 2 instructions per cycle.

For games, a system with large CPU(e.g. Power7 Quad Core) with small GPU(e.g. Radeon HD 4770) would be destroyed by small CPU (e.g. AMD Steamroller Quad Core) with large GPU (e.g. Radeon HD 7850) combo (e.g. AMD Liverpool APU).

Can you tell me that in simpler terms about the Wii U specs?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

I know a little known fact about the Wii-u myself, I know for a fact i'm not buying one

Chris_Williams
That's awesome. Good for you.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2012/06/13/wii-u-will-feature-simplified-friend-codes

Might need to check a couple of other things too.

amaneuvering
This has already been brought up and discussed multiple times in this thread. In the worst case scenario, the Wii U will have Friend Codes as background account identifiers, not unlike Account IDs on Steam. You will still be identified by your Username in your friends list and all, so Friend Codes being in the background doesn't matter at all. Everything there is pretty accurate. I refrained from putting in any speculation or rumors.

So you are saying that I can save Wii U games on my 350gig PS3? Was going to get Wii U regardless but now this has me pumped.

drufeous
The hard drive, yes (although it might need to be reformatted). The PS3 itself? Ehhh, I don't think so...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
[QUOTE="ronvalencia"]

[QUOTE="psymon100"] Well, Nintendo themselves say IBM PowerPC, and Wikipedia says it will be a Power7, and IBM Watson tweeted this which is Wikipedia's source. What do you think, is that enough? I think that gives it a +95% chance of it having PowerPC Power8.

GameboyTroy

Can you tell me that in simpler terms about the Wii U specs?

I would appreciate that in simpler terms myself :P Also, in general terms, how powerful would this make the Wii U with respect to the current gen HD twins, and with respect to, say, a mid range PC?
layton2012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149 layton2012
[QUOTE="layton2012"]I don't get what the big deal of having a blu ray player, if I want a blu ray, I will get a blu ray for 80$ not a game system for 250+.locopatho
The same appeal of having your mobile phone take pictures, play music, browse the net, etc. It's not the main purpose but it's cool to have those extra features.

Can't argue with that, but it would never be the deciding factor of what console I would get.
Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60721 Posts

Day fuking one, locked and loaded. :P

Bigboi500
You lack conviction, say it like you fuking mean it!