RSX vs Xenos.

• 164 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

imprezawrx500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#151 imprezawrx500
Member since 2004 • 19187 Posts
both are much the same. xenos is somewhere between a radeon hd 2400 and 2600 (much closer to 2400 but with 2600 memory) rsx is somewhere between a geforce 7600gt and 7800gt but shares much more with the 7600gt and 7800gt. So i'd put them both about equal.
imprezawrx500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#152 imprezawrx500
Member since 2004 • 19187 Posts

[QUOTE="ssjgoku808"][QUOTE="mikasa"]

You're kidding right? Xenos has 10mb edram that allows for "free" AA. Plus it can pull from 512mb of memory in a single pool. PS3 is the one with memory issues; hence the flat textures.

Poop_Slash

ROFL no shared memory sucks how many times do i have to say it... 512 MB in a single pool what a joke.... 512mb shared, And since its shared 512MB it can never full be used cause it would cause a massive bottleneck.

Why is it better to have split 256/256mb Ram pools?

Wouldn't that mean only 256mb of Textures can be process by the GPU and splashed on screen at any given time?

using more than 256mb for textures would mean a very tiny environment. it's normally 2/3s system/ 1/3 video maybe 50/50 but never more vram than system ram.

2mrw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#153 2mrw
Member since 2008 • 6205 Posts

i was convinced that Xenos is more powerful than the RSX, but really where is the evidance??? is there anything that support that claim at all???? when i look to the game i see noticable graphical differences in PS3 exculsives, when talking abt multigames, most of them are better on x360 while others may be superior on the PS3, the thing is if some games are better on the PS3, then i doubt the x360 is better, it's the Dev. mistake not to use the PS3 power, sadly the PS3 hardware is tough to use.

the final word is that: i dun know but judging the games and knowig that the hardware isn't eveluated by no. and knowing that the CPU and the graphics cards usually share in making the game, but you dun know for sure how the work is divided across both of them..................i can say PS3 overall has a superior hardware but it's tough to use.

nyctota

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#154 nyctota
Member since 2008 • 700 Posts

the xenos easily, apart from the 10mb Edram frame buffer, it uses unified shader architechture, which means it only uses half the shader pipelines the RSX uses for shader operations which free's up more memory for other operations, the RSX has also been known to stall during said shader operations,the xenos is also capable of emulating DX10 subroutines, as far as the tesselator is concerned, it's not really that big a deal, but it does still give it the edge, and for all of those here that blamed porting from the 360 as the reason multiplats look better on the 360, remember the ps3 was the lead platform for ghostbusters and it still looked significantly better on the ps3 so that's just a lame excuse, the xenos has the edge on the RSX, not by much, but obviously enough for it to be noticable.delta3074

and still none of those multiplats come close to ps3 exclusives... so your rumour got debunked...

delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#155 delta3074
Member since 2007 • 20003 Posts

[QUOTE="delta3074"]the xenos easily, apart from the 10mb Edram frame buffer, it uses unified shader architechture, which means it only uses half the shader pipelines the RSX uses for shader operations which free's up more memory for other operations, the RSX has also been known to stall during said shader operations,the xenos is also capable of emulating DX10 subroutines, as far as the tesselator is concerned, it's not really that big a deal, but it does still give it the edge, and for all of those here that blamed porting from the 360 as the reason multiplats look better on the 360, remember the ps3 was the lead platform for ghostbusters and it still looked significantly better on the ps3 so that's just a lame excuse, the xenos has the edge on the RSX, not by much, but obviously enough for it to be noticable.nyctota

and still none of those multiplats come close to ps3 exclusives... so your rumour got debunked...

no it hasn't, SONy first party exclusives use the cell and the SPE's to heavily help the RSX, we are talking about which is the more powerful GPU, not which is the most powerful console, without the cell and the spe's the ps3's first party exclusive would not look as good as it does, this thread is xenos vs RSX not xenos vs RSX+cell, so no my rumor didn't get debunked at all, the cell does most of the post processing work on ps3 exclusives, not the RSX so it's an unfair comparison, multiplats are a perfect comparison because it's the same game running on different hardware, stop being such a fanboy and actually think before replying please.
Sky_Fade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#156 Sky_Fade
Member since 2006 • 38 Posts

Seem a lot of ignorance going on in this thread, the RSX is bsically a variant on the 7800GTX that has access to two memory pools.

These are the specifications for the 7800GTX and RSX:

7800GTX RSX

Core Speed: 430Mhz 550Mhz

Pixel Shaders: 24 24

Vertex Shaders: 8 8

ROP 16 8

Memory: 256MB 256MB+224MB

Bus Width: 256bit@1.2Ghz 128bit@1.4Ghz+FlexIO

Bandwidth: 38.4 GB/s 22.4GB/s+20GB/s read/15GB/s write

This means that the RSX is roughly equivilant to an desktop Geforce 7800GTX, it also has access to both pools of memory not just the 256MB video RAM, it can access it's video RAM at 22.4GB/s and the 256MB (only 224MB of it) XDR at 20GB/s read and 15GB/s write. The Cell has the ability to access the XDR RAM at 25.6GB/s. The 360, in comparision, has the ability to access the 512MB ram at 22,4GB/s however this bandwidth must be shared by the CPU and GPU.

In terms of general power the GPU are within comparision to each other however the strength of the PS3s general architecture makes up for it. Also the reason for the general better looks of multiplatforms (however not so much in recent time) is due to the 10edram of the xbox as well as it's ease of use.

nyctota

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157 nyctota
Member since 2008 • 700 Posts

[QUOTE="nyctota"]

[QUOTE="delta3074"]the xenos easily, apart from the 10mb Edram frame buffer, it uses unified shader architechture, which means it only uses half the shader pipelines the RSX uses for shader operations which free's up more memory for other operations, the RSX has also been known to stall during said shader operations,the xenos is also capable of emulating DX10 subroutines, as far as the tesselator is concerned, it's not really that big a deal, but it does still give it the edge, and for all of those here that blamed porting from the 360 as the reason multiplats look better on the 360, remember the ps3 was the lead platform for ghostbusters and it still looked significantly better on the ps3 so that's just a lame excuse, the xenos has the edge on the RSX, not by much, but obviously enough for it to be noticable.delta3074

no it hasn't, SONy first party exclusives use the cell and the SPE's to heavily help the RSX, we are talking about which is the more powerful GPU, not which is the most powerful console, without the cell and the spe's the ps3's first party exclusive would not look as good as it does, this thread is xenos vs RSX not xenos vs RSX+cell, so no my rumor didn't get debunked at all, the cell does most of the post processing work on ps3 exclusives, not the RSX so it's an unfair comparison, multiplats are a perfect comparison because it's the same game running on different hardware, stop being such a fanboy and actually think before replying please.

the bottom line is ps3 is more superiour and always will... go on and keep on dreaming about numbers and that one day your precious xenos will make xbox360 games look better then ps3 games...

kthxbye

delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#158 delta3074
Member since 2007 • 20003 Posts

[QUOTE="delta3074"][QUOTE="nyctota"]

nyctota

the bottom line is ps3 is more superiour and always will... go on and keep on dreaming about numbers and that one day your precious xenos will make xbox360 games look better then ps3 games...

kthxbye

like i said this isn't about which is the most powerful console, which i agree is probably the ps3, but not by much, it's about the GPU from the 360 versus the GPU from the ps3, the ps3 may be the msot powerful console, but the xenos is most definitly the most powerful GPU of the two, i will decide which console has the best graphics at the end of the gen, not halfway through it.
cookdog420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159 cookdog420
Member since 2006 • 41 Posts

AHHHHHH! All this tech speak. All i can say is this..360 has the better multi plats...PS3 has the better exclusives.

stevencompton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#160 stevencompton
Member since 2003 • 1461 Posts

[QUOTE="Teufelhuhn"]

The Cell would put it there when loading the textures and models. Anything the GPU would need to write to (render targets) would be kept in GPU memory. Although if you really needed the GPU to write to something in XDR memory, it could do it.
mikasa

that doesn't sound complicated for devs to manage at all /sarcasm.

Well, thats how it works with PCs isn't it (the CPU loads data from the drives to the RAM and VRAM)? I don't hear any complaints about that...

Anyway, this thread is getting ridiculas. The way I see it the core specification of the RSX is slightly better than the Xenos (disregarding the Xenos' eDRAM unit & Cell's rendering ability).Yes, the Xenos has unified shaders, so it's available shaders are used more efficiently,but the RSX's dedicated shaders are more powerful per shader pipeline (can do more operations per clock). So overall I think the RSX has more shader power (shown off by it's exclusive games).

The 360's main benefit over the PS3 is the eDRAM chip on the Xenos that allows for Anti Aliasing at very little cost, so this is why the 360 often has less 'jaggies'. Anti-Aliasing is very resource intensive and requires a lot of bandwidth, so the eDRAM chip adding this for free is a huge help. If it didn't have this unit and had to do AA on the GPU itself, I think you'd see much worse performance. The only problem with the eDRAM is the 10mb of memory; it often isn't enough especially if you want to do HDR lighting and use higher resolutions.

The PS3's benefits over the 360 from the Cell's rendering ability on the SPEs, which helps reduce the load on the RSX, but this requires extra work (so extra cost) by the developer.

So both have their advantages; the 360's more flexible and easier to get good performance from, the PS3 has more potential power but requires extra work to access (which is what I thought everybody already knew). When it comes down to multiplats the eDRAM chip on the Xenos usually gives the 360 superior AA, as any AA on the PS3 has to be done on the RSX. If a developer uses the Cell then the RSX can be freed-up for extra effects like AA and HDR.

PandaBear86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#161 PandaBear86
Member since 2007 • 3389 Posts

They have very similar clock speeds, but Xenos is better because it has unified shaders, while the RSX does not. This makes the 360 easier to optomoise for. Yes, the 360 has more developer-friendly hardware in both CPU and GPU

barchy2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162 barchy2
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

I find it hard to believe that this comparison even exists ? Forget specs ! use you're own eyes .Unless you've been living in a dreamworld for the last year or so and havent seen metal gear solid 4 ,or gran turismo 5 prolouge, or uncharted 1 and 2 or killzone 2 !and compared them to Gears of war 1 and 2 The answer is very obvious! This is an old (and very tired argument) which has been laid to rest since the release of MGS4 and then Killzone 2. Now you'll notice that i've only mentioned the games that on release all received high praise for their graphics regardless of which console they were on Exclusivley( I'm not going into multi platform titles)and this is what you should all compare ,And the visuals speak for themselves ,Gears of war was the graphical benchmark and looked fantastic (and still does) But the graphical bar was raised by MGS4 and then Killzone 2,and now possibly by Uncharted 2,But the funny thing is I'm laughing at all the PC fanatics who have spentbig money on high spec PC's only to see the games look no better than the 360 and PS3 in general .So the winner is?..... TFL

shakmaster13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#163 shakmaster13
Member since 2007 • 7138 Posts

[QUOTE="ssjgoku808"][QUOTE="-wii60-"]

i think is more than a ''little bit''
-wii60-

Lol its only a little bit, but when it all comes down to memory RSX>>>Xenos

10mb edram says hello, and Xenos is more efficient.

Lol at 10 MB of ram. Since when is that much supposed to be worth anything nowadays?

markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164 markop2003
Member since 2005 • 29917 Posts
The specs put them at about the same performance wise.
stevencompton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#165 stevencompton
Member since 2003 • 1461 Posts

They have very similar clock speeds, but Xenos is better because it has unified shaders, while the RSX does not. This makes the 360 easier to optomoise for. Yes, the 360 has more developer-friendly hardware in both CPU and GPU

PandaBear86
I agree with what you say about unified shaders, but that doesn't make it more powerful. The first mid-range DX10 cards with unified shaders performed poorly, barely any better than last the mid-range DX9 cards, and the RSX was based off a high end DX9 part. The Xenos has 48 unified shaders, and each can do 10 floating point operations per cycle (FLOPS). The RSX has 24 pixel shaders, each doing 27 flops per cycle and 8 vertex shaders that can do 10 flops each per cycle. The clock speeds are pretty much identical, so the RSX has more shader power, but the Xenos can use all of its shaders all the time.
cb_au

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166 cb_au
Member since 2009 • 219 Posts

One noobish question.

Tech wise speaking, in some aspects Xenos has the upper hand and in the others RSX wins. Over all theoretically PS3 is more powerfull, visually speaking and i believe that theory is coming to live with recent releases of best graphics seen on both the consoles.

cb_au

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167 cb_au
Member since 2009 • 219 Posts

PandaBear86
Having unified shaders does not make it more powerful in any explanation. Yes it is easier to optimize but once you have a limited space to draw you cant go any further. PS3 has proved it already, Uncharted II and Killzone 2 have not yet been achieved on 360 even with its "easier to optimize" hardware.
gameofthering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#168 gameofthering
Member since 2004 • 11286 Posts

Such an old thread...

markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169 markop2003
Member since 2005 • 29917 Posts
[QUOTE="PandaBear86"]

cb_au
Having unified shaders does not make it more powerful in any explanation. Yes it is easier to optimize but once you have a limited space to draw you cant go any further. PS3 has proved it already, Uncharted II and Killzone 2 have not yet been achieved on 360 even with its "easier to optimize" hardware.

They've not been achieved because M$ hasn't paid them to do so....