RSX vs Xenos.

• 164 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 0

#51 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]Everybody should know that the Xenos > the RSX. The RSX has more raw power, but the Xenos is more efficant making up the loss in power. MrGrimFandango

But where is the tessellator unit incorperated into your thinking?

In all of my research into both the Xenos and the RSX I have never heard of a tessellator unit... I know the Xenos has a unified shader architecture which allows for more efficant graphics processing.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#52 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts
[QUOTE="mikasa"][QUOTE="MrGrimFandango"]

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]Everybody should know that the Xenos > the RSX. The RSX has more raw power, but the Xenos is more efficant making up the loss in power. MrGrimFandango

Does the xenos have a tessellator unit? I understand what it does, but in teh past never heard it mentioned with the xenos. If it does that makes it even that much better.

I think u missed the quotes, but yes it does have a tessellator unit..but only one game used it but coincidentally its the best looking game out right now, graphically. Viva Pinata that is.

What. Viva Pinata is the best looking game out there? I beg to differ. I have seen Vivia Pinata running on a HDTV and I can tell you games like Rainbow Six Vegas and Gears of War looks way better.

Fusible

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#53 Fusible
Member since 2005 • 2828 Posts
[QUOTE="MrGrimFandango"]

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]Everybody should know that the Xenos > the RSX. The RSX has more raw power, but the Xenos is more efficant making up the loss in power. Wasdie

In all of my research into both the Xenos and the RSX I have never heard of a tessellator unit... I know the Xenos has a unified shader architecture which allows for more efficant graphics processing.

LOL, looks like your 5 minute research isn't enough.
Teuf_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#54 Teuf_
Member since 2004 • 30805 Posts
[QUOTE="MrGrimFandango"]

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]Everybody should know that the Xenos > the RSX. The RSX has more raw power, but the Xenos is more efficant making up the loss in power. Wasdie

Xenos has one, but its rarely used, because its a pain to use it along with predicated tiled rendering (which you need to do for MSAA).

I also have no idea what its performance is like.
mikasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 mikasa
Member since 2003 • 4060 Posts
[QUOTE="mikasa"][QUOTE="MrGrimFandango"]

Does the xenos have a tessellator unit? I understand what it does, but in teh past never heard it mentioned with the xenos. If it does that makes it even that much better.

I think u missed the quotes, but yes it does have a tessellator unit..but only one game used it but coincidentally its the best looking game out right now, graphically. Viva Pinata that is.

Now that is some untapped power of teh 360. I keep hearing of the phantom ps3 untapped power, but only keep hearing of bottlenecks not real untapped powah like this is. Image Gears using the tessellator unit. Do you know if halo uses it?

mikasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 mikasa
[QUOTE="Wasdie"][QUOTE="MrGrimFandango"]

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]Everybody should know that the Xenos > the RSX. The RSX has more raw power, but the Xenos is more efficant making up the loss in power. Teufelhuhn

Xenos has one, but its rarely used, because its a pain to use it along with predicated tiled rendering (which you need to do for MSAA).

I also have no idea what its performance is like.

Well we could always use the cow excuse of the fact it's too new tech for the devs to understand but once they tap into the hidden powah of teh tessallator unit it's game over for all other consoles in terms of graphics. See how easy it is just to blame the devs and claim any good dev worth his salt can do amazing things. Don't let reality get in your way.

Teuf_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 Teuf_

Now that is some untapped power of teh 360. I keep hearing of the phantom ps3 untapped power, but only keep hearing of bottlenecks not real untapped powah like this is. Image Gears using the tessellator unit. Do you know if halo uses it?

mikasa

Do you even know what a tessellator does? It only has a few practical purposes, like displacement mapping. Plus you could probably use the SPE's in Cell to handle tessellation.
ssjgoku808

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 ssjgoku808
Member since 2004 • 281 Posts
A big map needs both cpu and gpu The gpu to render all the textures and such, And the cpu to compute everything that is going on, You start taking ram away from one of those, and you're gonna start lagging, So the slice and dice theory won't work good as you think it would, 360 is soon good as peaked.

Teuf_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 Teuf_

Well we could always use the cow excuse of the fact it's too new tech for the devs to understand but once they tap into the hidden powah of teh tessallator unit it's game over for all other consoles in terms of graphics. See how easy it is just to blame the devs and claim any good dev worth his salt can do amazing things. Don't let reality get in your way.

mikasa

What on earth are you talking about? I was just pointing out why you can't simply use the tessellator for everything, no matter how good of a dev you are/
MrGrimFandango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#60 MrGrimFandango
Member since 2005 • 5286 Posts
[QUOTE="MrGrimFandango"]

http://www.anandtech.com/printarticle.aspx?i=2988

http://www.pcworldtech.com/Categories/GPU/reviews/ATI2xxx.htm

All in all its about when the developers use it, its kind of like the Cell, it has a whole lot of potential but it has some hurdles that need to be crossed, wont be too long tho.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radeon_R600

snyper1982

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 snyper1982
Member since 2004 • 3407 Posts
[QUOTE="mikasa"]

[QUOTE="ssjgoku808"]Well debunk my part of saying how the 360 cannot single pool with its memory since one will have 0MB's thought so.ChiChiMonKilla

This is just stupid. 360 can slice the memory however it needs to so that the game works as the devs want it to. They aren't lockd into 256 and 256. They can do 256/256 if they want. Or 128/384 or 384/128. Or whatever they need to make the game work. the game won't work as you say at 0, so why would they want to do that? PS3 can't do it either...so I'm not sure what you're trying to prove.

The rsx's 256mb of video memory is over 2x faster than the 512mb so it's a wash. The xenos does have free 2x AA so it's more efficient giving a slight edge to the xenos.

NO IT IS NOT!!! Who care what the clock speed is? The bandwidth is what matters!

snyper1982

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 snyper1982

Stop trying tomake it like the GPU can use the full 512mb, if this were true there would be no memory left for the CPU. RSX used the happpy balance of splitting it 50/50, while it doesn't give game developers the chance to balance things out them selves, but it was the simple answere. While the 360 GPU can be balanced by the developers 30/70, 60/40, ect. but what developer would make the cpu resources down to zero. THERE WOULD BE NO GAME IF IT MADE IT THAT LOW

tankg11

You act as if both need th same amount of memory at all times. That is not true. The 360 dynamically allocates it's memory pool. If the GPU needs 500MB of memory for a few clocks, it can do it.

Teuf_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 Teuf_

You act as if both need th same amount of memory at all times. That is not true. The 360 dynamically allocates it's memory pool. If the GPU needs 500MB of memory for a few clocks, it can do it.

snyper1982

You act as if the RSX can't read from the XDR memory pool (which it can).

Also, nobody seems to be aware of the fact that having 2 memory pools effectively doubles the GPU's available memory bandwidth.
mikasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 mikasa
[QUOTE="mikasa"]

Teufelhuhn

Do you even know what a tessellator does? It only has a few practical purposes, like displacement mapping. Plus you could probably use the SPE's in Cell to handle tessellation.

Probably != can. Give me a link saying it will work from a reputable source and I'll believe it.

snyper1982

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 snyper1982

[QUOTE="mikasa"]Xenos is better. RSX is good, but it's a generation behind; however, it's not like the Xenos is night and day better, but there's a reason most multiplats look better on the 360.caseypayne69

If the RSX is a generation behind then the Cell must be Bad @$$ to help some multiplate games look better. Elder scrolls, GRAW2. Lair, Ratchet and Clank, Uncharted. Hmm, or maybe its only slightly better then the RSX.

Or it could be the extra dev time they had with the PS3 version.... I'm just saying.....

mikasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 mikasa

A big map needs both cpu and gpu The gpu to render all the textures and such, And the cpu to compute everything that is going on, You start taking ram away from one of those, and you're gonna start lagging, So the slice and dice theory won't work good as you think it would, 360 is soon good as peaked.

ssjgoku808

But the devs have the choice to balance it however needed. Choice is a good thing. Being forced to use 256/256 no matter big or small map. No matter how intense the graphics memory needs...being locked at 256 is not as good as being able to massage the ram size.

Teuf_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 Teuf_
[QUOTE="Teufelhuhn"][QUOTE="mikasa"]

mikasa

Probably != can. Give me a link saying it will work from a reputable source and I'll believe it.

There's absolutely no reason you couldn't, you can do whatever the heck you want on a CPU. We're talking about doing a bunch of vector math on vertices, something we already know Cell is really good at. I can't tell you how fast it would be compared to Xenos's tesselator, though.
ssjgoku808

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 ssjgoku808
[QUOTE="tankg11"]

Stop trying tomake it like the GPU can use the full 512mb, if this were true there would be no memory left for the CPU. RSX used the happpy balance of splitting it 50/50, while it doesn't give game developers the chance to balance things out them selves, but it was the simple answere. While the 360 GPU can be balanced by the developers 30/70, 60/40, ect. but what developer would make the cpu resources down to zero. THERE WOULD BE NO GAME IF IT MADE IT THAT LOW

snyper1982

With a nice few clocks of severe lag
kage_53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#69 kage_53
Member since 2006 • 12671 Posts
[QUOTE="danielsmith2020"]

Second any comparison between multiplats is silly at the moment as all multiplats at present were built from the ground up on the xbox 360 so they will all look better on the xbox 360 due to this.

mikasa

Link? I thought VF5 was a PS3 exclusive when it released and was ported to 360? And looks better on the 360. That pretty much debunks that point.

The 360 version of VF5 is based of a different arcade version the one PS3 uses.

Citizen_Zero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 Citizen_Zero
Member since 2006 • 1786 Posts
Old but i think it still holds some ground. If some of it's wrong i want to here it from a hermit, notLemmings, Cowsor Sheep don't even bother with trying.

http://dpad.gotfrag.com/portal/story/35372/?spage=4
Teuf_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 Teuf_
Old but i think it still holds some ground.

http://dpad.gotfrag.com/portal/story/35372/?spage=4Citizen_Zero

Please put that article back where it came from....
snyper1982

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 snyper1982
[QUOTE="MrGrimFandango"][QUOTE="mikasa"][QUOTE="MrGrimFandango"]

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]Everybody should know that the Xenos > the RSX. The RSX has more raw power, but the Xenos is more efficant making up the loss in power. mikasa

Dude, you don't even know what a tesselator unit is..... Just stop.

ssjgoku808

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 ssjgoku808

[QUOTE="ssjgoku808"]A big map needs both cpu and gpu The gpu to render all the textures and such, And the cpu to compute everything that is going on, You start taking ram away from one of those, and you're gonna start lagging, So the slice and dice theory won't work good as you think it would, 360 is soon good as peaked.

mikasa

But the devs have the choice to balance it however needed. Choice is a good thing. Being forced to use 256/256 no matter big or small map. No matter how intense the graphics memory needs...being locked at 256 is not as good as being able to massage the ram size.

For some reason do you think the game is locked at a certain ratio the whole game? It just sounds like you think it is no meaning for insults but its changing all the time or there would be no such things as an FPS drop... Your also basically saying that having stability is no good, and being unstable is very good
MrGrimFandango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 MrGrimFandango
Member since 2005 • 5286 Posts
[QUOTE="mikasa"]

Teufelhuhn

What on earth are you talking about? I was just pointing out why you can't simply use the tessellator for everything, no matter how good of a dev you are/

Yea leave it up to u to downplay the 360 and hype the PS3.

Neways tessellation is useful whether you like to hype your PS3 machine or not. "Teh cell can probably do it", probably not.

mikasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 mikasa
[QUOTE="mikasa"][QUOTE="Teufelhuhn"][QUOTE="mikasa"]

Teufelhuhn

There's absolutely no reason you couldn't, you can do whatever the heck you want on a CPU. We're talking about doing a bunch of vector math on vertices, something we already know Cell is really good at. I can't tell you how fast it would be compared to Xenos's tesselator, though.

The basic idea behind tessellation is in the subdivision of geometry. There are multiple algorithms for handling this process, and the R600 tessellator is capable of adapting to a developer's specific needs. The tessellator can take a polygon as input and break it up into smaller triangles, creating more vertices for a specific object. Taken on its own, this isn't particularly useful, but this concept can be paired with displacement mapping in order to reshape the tessellated polygon into something more like the actual surface a developer wants to represent (this is called the limit surface).

With low polygon models and lots of pixel shaders, normal maps and textures can approximate the look of more complex geometry, but we're always stuck with the very rough silhouette edge around the object. With more geometry, we could also better use pixel shaders to enhance the geometry present rather than trying to create the illusion of geometry itself.

We can't simply send millions of polygons per character to the graphics card. This isn't because the card can't handle the processing requirements, but rather the bandwidth and latency overhead of sending all this data to the hardware is too high. Tessellation and displacement gives us a way of really using the vertex shading power of unified architectures as well as removing the limitation on polygon count created by overhead.

While geometry shaders can be used for amplification and tessellators can be written as geometry shaders, this process is still way too slow on current programmable hardware. AMD's dedicated tessellator is capable of tessellating up to 15x more data and it can work much faster and more efficiently than a geometry shader set to the same task. With the next version of DX bringing tessellator hardware to all GPUs, developers should be able to focus on more interesting uses for the geometry shader as well.

Having this unit makes porting Xbox 360 games even easier for developers targeting AMD hardware. As most hardware still doesn't support the feature, a more general purpose path will still have to be written, but there wouldn't be any reason to remove what's already there. In these cases, R600 could benefit with greater performance than other hardware.

The downside is that it might be difficult to entice developers not already working with the Xbox 360 to touch the tessellator. It is definitely capable of high performance and terrific detail, but spending time on a feature only a small subset of gamers will be able to experience (for this generation) takes away from time spent making the game better for everyone.

We are always happy to see either hardware or software take a leap and create the first chicken or egg, but we just don't see the tessellator as a big selling point of R600. The technology is great, we're glad it's there, but we will really have to wait and see just how much (if any) real value this adds to the product. We'll leave this section on one final note about a tessellator landscape demo that really brings home what this thing can do.

Fusible

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#76 Fusible
Member since 2005 • 2828 Posts
[QUOTE="mikasa"][QUOTE="danielsmith2020"]

Second any comparison between multiplats is silly at the moment as all multiplats at present were built from the ground up on the xbox 360 so they will all look better on the xbox 360 due to this.

kage_53

Link? I thought VF5 was a PS3 exclusive when it released and was ported to 360? And looks better on the 360. That pretty much debunks that point.

The 360 version of VF5 is based of a different arcade version the one PS3 uses.

Which is actually the latest revision C of the arcade version. PS3 is revision B.
mikasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 mikasa
[QUOTE="mikasa"]

[QUOTE="ssjgoku808"]A big map needs both cpu and gpu The gpu to render all the textures and such, And the cpu to compute everything that is going on, You start taking ram away from one of those, and you're gonna start lagging, So the slice and dice theory won't work good as you think it would, 360 is soon good as peaked.

ssjgoku808

For some reason do you think the game is locked at a certain ratio the whole game? It just sounds like you think it is no meaning for insults but its changing all the time or there would be no such things as an FPS drop...

Exactly! And that's one of the advantages of teh 360...it can dynamically change as needed. PS3...stuck at 256/256. As teh need changes you still get stuck with 256/256 with the PS3.

Now do you see the advantages.

snyper1982

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 snyper1982
[QUOTE="snyper1982"]

Teufelhuhn

You act as if the RSX can't read from the XDR memory pool (which it can).

Also, nobody seems to be aware of the fact that having 2 memory pools effectively doubles the GPU's available memory bandwidth.

I never said the RSX can't! I am simpl saying that he was flat out wrong ! Who can you, even BEGIN to support what he said?

mikasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 mikasa

Dude, you don't even know what a tesselator unit is..... Just stop.snyper1982

See my post above this one.

Teuf_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 Teuf_

The basic idea behind tessellation is in the subdivision of geometry. There are multiple algorithms for handling this process, and the R600 tessellator is capable of adapting to a developer's specific needs. The tessellator can take a polygon as input and break it up into smaller triangles, creating more vertices for a specific object. Taken on its own, this isn't particularly useful, but this concept can be paired with displacement mapping in order to reshape the tessellated polygon into something more like the actual surface a developer wants to represent (this is called the limit surface).

With low polygon models and lots of pixel shaders, normal maps and textures can approximate the look of more complex geometry, but we're always stuck with the very rough silhouette edge around the object. With more geometry, we could also better use pixel shaders to enhance the geometry present rather than trying to create the illusion of geometry itself.

We can't simply send millions of polygons per character to the graphics card. This isn't because the card can't handle the processing requirements, but rather the bandwidth and latency overhead of sending all this data to the hardware is too high. Tessellation and displacement gives us a way of really using the vertex shading power of unified architectures as well as removing the limitation on polygon count created by overhead.

While geometry shaders can be used for amplification and tessellators can be written as geometry shaders, this process is still way too slow on current programmable hardware. AMD's dedicated tessellator is capable of tessellating up to 15x more data and it can work much faster and more efficiently than a geometry shader set to the same task. With the next version of DX bringing tessellator hardware to all GPUs, developers should be able to focus on more interesting uses for the geometry shader as well.

Having this unit makes porting Xbox 360 games even easier for developers targeting AMD hardware. As most hardware still doesn't support the feature, a more general purpose path will still have to be written, but there wouldn't be any reason to remove what's already there. In these cases, R600 could benefit with greater performance than other hardware.

The downside is that it might be difficult to entice developers not already working with the Xbox 360 to touch the tessellator. It is definitely capable of high performance and terrific detail, but spending time on a feature only a small subset of gamers will be able to experience (for this generation) takes away from time spent making the game better for everyone.

We are always happy to see either hardware or software take a leap and create the first chicken or egg, but we just don't see the tessellator as a big selling point of R600. The technology is great, we're glad it's there, but we will really have to wait and see just how much (if any) real value this adds to the product. We'll leave this section on one final note about a tessellator landscape demo that really brings home what this thing can do.

mikasa

I'm glad to see you're reading up on this stuff, but why did you copy and paste that here? I know what a tessellator is.

Also you should know they're talking about the tessellation unit in R600, not Xenos.
snyper1982

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 snyper1982
[QUOTE="snyper1982"][QUOTE="tankg11"]

ssjgoku808

With a nice few clocks of severe lag

HAHAHA!!!! Do you know how long those few clocks are? LOL!

mikasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 mikasa
[QUOTE="mikasa"]

Teufelhuhn

I'm glad to see you're reading up on this stuff, but why did you copy and paste that here? I know what a tessellator is.

Also you should know they're talking about the tessellation unit in R600, not Xenos.

Well that's what the article was about. But it says they copied it from the 360, so the tech is pretty much the same. But I posted it for others to read so we are all on the same page of what it is.

Teuf_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 Teuf_
[QUOTE="Teufelhuhn"][QUOTE="mikasa"]

MrGrimFandango

Yea leave it up to u to downplay the 360 and hype the PS3.

Neways tessellation is useful whether you like to hype your PS3 machine or not. "Teh cell can probably do it", probably not.

This has nothing to do with the PS3, I was trying to explain why its not used in every game. Tessellation is not "free", it has a cost. It creates more vertices, those vertices have to be transformed and processed.

For the record, I think its cool that Xenos has it. It could probably be very useful in a closed-box, as opposed to on R600 where only a few of your client GPU's will have the feature.
ssjgoku808

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 ssjgoku808
[QUOTE="ssjgoku808"][QUOTE="mikasa"]

mikasa

For some reason do you think the game is locked at a certain ratio the whole game? It just sounds like you think it is no meaning for insults but its changing all the time or there would be no such things as an FPS drop...

Exactly! And that's one of the advantages of teh 360...it can dynamically change as needed. PS3...stuck at 256/256. As teh need changes you still get stuck with 256/256 with the PS3.

Your also basically saying that having stability is no good, And being unstable is very good since if somthing needs 380MB of ram and only has 120MB of GPU thats not enough to render therefore causing lag
brainiac24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 brainiac24
Member since 2006 • 474 Posts

I luv when fanboys talk about technical facts like they know what they are talking about. The conviction in their voice! reminds me televangelists....Viviath

LOL. Hilarious. Anyway, the Xenos is very close to ATI's R600 Gpu's, as it was modeled after the R580 GPU (X1950XTX); the RSX was based off Nvidia's 7800GTX. The Xenos is more like a DX 9.5 GPU, which is why it can run some "games for windows" titles that use DX10 (Bioshock is one example).

Teuf_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 Teuf_
[QUOTE="ssjgoku808"][QUOTE="mikasa"]

mikasa

Like I've already said...you're not stuck with 256/256 with PS3. RSX can read from the XDR memory, meaning you can allocate that for texture memory too.
snyper1982

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 snyper1982

[QUOTE="snyper1982"]Dude, you don't even know what a tesselator unit is..... Just stop.mikasa

Yeah, I can copy and paste too.....

snyper1982

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 snyper1982
[QUOTE="mikasa"][QUOTE="ssjgoku808"][QUOTE="mikasa"]

ssjgoku808

Your also basically saying that having stability is no good, And being unstable is very good since if somthing needs 380MB of ram and only has 120MB of GPU thats not enough to render therefore causing lag

You have NO CLUE, absolutely NO CLUE, what you are talking about....

mikasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 mikasa

ssjgoku808

That makes no sense.

mikasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 mikasa
[QUOTE="mikasa"]

[QUOTE="snyper1982"]Dude, you don't even know what a tesselator unit is..... Just stop.snyper1982

Ok, so I can read as well. What's not to understand about it?

snyper1982

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 snyper1982

Teufelhuhn

Like I've already said...you're not stuck with 256/256 with PS3. RSX can read from the XDR memory, meaning you can allocate that for texture memory too.

Do you have a link backing that up? I know the cell can read from the GDDR3, but I have never heard that the RSX can read from xdr. Not saying I don't believe you, but.....

mikasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 mikasa

Teufelhuhn

Just because it can technically do it, doesn't mean it's efficient or good. The tradeoffs on doing it with the PS3 often out weigh the benefits, so the devs will just go with the crappy textures instead.

snyper1982

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 snyper1982
[QUOTE="snyper1982"][QUOTE="mikasa"]

[QUOTE="snyper1982"]Dude, you don't even know what a tesselator unit is..... Just stop.mikasa

My point being you are hyoing something(not unlike cows) without know WHY you aredoing so.... Can you imagine Gears with the tesselator? LOL. How do you know they DIDN'T use it? LOL. You are as bad as the cows.

Teuf_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 Teuf_

Do you have a link backing that up? I know the cell can read from the GDDR3, but I have never heard that the RSX can read from xdr. Not saying I don't believe you, but.....

snyper1982

Cell actually can't read or write to the GDDR3 (or at least, not at usable speeds)

Teuf_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 Teuf_

Just because it can technically do it, doesn't mean it's efficient or good. The tradeoffs on doing it with the PS3 often out weigh the benefits, so the devs will just go with the crappy textures instead.

mikasa

RSX has nearly as much bandwidth to XDR as it does to the GDDR3. See the chart I posted.
mikasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 mikasa
[QUOTE="mikasa"][QUOTE="snyper1982"][QUOTE="mikasa"]

[QUOTE="snyper1982"]Dude, you don't even know what a tesselator unit is..... Just stop.snyper1982

My point being you are hyoing something(not unlike cows) without know WHY you aredoing so.... Can you imagine Gears with the tesselator? LOL. How do you know they DIDN'T use it? LOL. You are as bad as the cows.

They didn't use it. Are you saying they did...if so link please and then I'll take the knowledge and apply it, but as it stands right now...it doesn't.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60718 Posts
The one that allows to make the games look best is the better one.
Mordred19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 Mordred19
Member since 2007 • 8259 Posts
[QUOTE="Teufelhuhn"]

mikasa

but the whole of the 360's 512mb is relatively slow and inefficient, as opposed to the quickness of dedicated RAM. it takes no more effort to have some RAM allocated from a seperate source and combine that with a pool of dedicated RAM, then it takes to program games with the shared RAM. just some simple programming, and they're even.

mikasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 mikasa
[QUOTE="mikasa"]

Teufelhuhn

RSX has nearly as much bandwidth to XDR as it does to the GDDR3. See the chart I posted.

do the math you'll see they are way off by up to 57% in some cases.

mikasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 mikasa
[QUOTE="mikasa"][QUOTE="Teufelhuhn"]

Mordred19

but the whole of the 360's 512mb is relatively slow and inefficient, as opposed to the quickness of dedicated RAM. it takes no more effort to have some RAM allocated from a seperate source and combine that with a pool of dedicated RAM, then it takes to program games with the shared RAM. just some simple programming, and they're even.

Well do a little google search and you'll see the PS3 isn't so efficient at doing that...and devs are complaining about it.