RSX vs Xenos.

• 164 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Teuf_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101 Teuf_
Member since 2004 • 30805 Posts
[QUOTE="Teufelhuhn"][QUOTE="mikasa"]

Just because it can technically do it, doesn't mean it's efficient or good. The tradeoffs on doing it with the PS3 often out weigh the benefits, so the devs will just go with the crappy textures instead.

mikasa

RSX has nearly as much bandwidth to XDR as it does to the GDDR3. See the chart I posted.

do the math you'll see they are way off by up to 57% in some cases.

You're comparing measured values to theoretical values.

For the bandwidth that matters, the read bandwidth, there's only a 10% difference in the theoretical values.
snyper1982

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#102 snyper1982
Member since 2004 • 3407 Posts
[QUOTE="snyper1982"]

Do you have a link backing that up? I know the cell can read from the GDDR3, but I have never heard that the RSX can read from xdr. Not saying I don't believe you, but.....

Teufelhuhn

Cell actually can't read or write to the GDDR3 (or at least, not at usable speeds)

There is nearly a 50% reduction in writing, and a 30% reduction in read speeds... Unless I am reading that wrong.

mikasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103 mikasa
Member since 2003 • 4060 Posts
[QUOTE="mikasa"][QUOTE="Teufelhuhn"][QUOTE="mikasa"]

Just because it can technically do it, doesn't mean it's efficient or good. The tradeoffs on doing it with the PS3 often out weigh the benefits, so the devs will just go with the crappy textures instead.

Teufelhuhn

RSX has nearly as much bandwidth to XDR as it does to the GDDR3. See the chart I posted.

For the bandwidth that matters, the read bandwidth, there's only a 10% difference in the theoretical values.

So the memory in the PS3 never needs to be written to? Wow, the cell really is powerful it if can magically write GPU data to memory instantly and no matter how big. Amazing stuff there.

snyper1982

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104 snyper1982
Member since 2004 • 3407 Posts

They didn't use it. Are you saying they did...if so link please and then I'll take the knowledge and apply it, but as it stands right now...it doesn't.

mikasa

You are completely oblivious to my point. LOL. I didn't mean to say that they did or didn't use it. I meant that you act like them using it would have dramatically improved performance. Which if they didn't I would say points to the opposite being true....

Teuf_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105 Teuf_
[QUOTE="Teufelhuhn"][QUOTE="mikasa"]

mikasa

So the memory in the PS3 never needs to be written to? Wow, the cell really is powerful it if can magically write GPU data to memory.

Why would you need the GPU to write to XDR memory? Your framebuffer is going to be in the GDDR3 memory, and thats where you write to. You'd use the XDR for storing textures and vertices, which the GPU would read from.
Mordred19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106 Mordred19
Member since 2007 • 8259 Posts
[QUOTE="Mordred19"][QUOTE="mikasa"][QUOTE="Teufelhuhn"]

Like I've already said...you're not stuck with 256/256 with PS3. RSX can read from the XDR memory, meaning you can allocate that for texture memory too.
mikasa

but the whole of the 360's 512mb is relatively slow and inefficient, as opposed to the quickness of dedicated RAM. it takes no more effort to have some RAM allocated from a seperate source and combine that with a pool of dedicated RAM, then it takes to program games with the shared RAM. just some simple programming, and they're even.

Well do a little google search and you'll see the PS3 isn't so efficient at doing that...and devs are complaining about it.

using dedicated pools of RAM is not some new, alien technique.It's no better than the 360, and no worse. It's just a different method, with the potential of equal results.How many of those complaints arerecent or up to date with the current news of PS3 technical support for third-parties?I'd worry more about the Cell (seeing as the issue has already been resolved, we don't need to discuss that anymore).

mikasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107 mikasa
[QUOTE="mikasa"]

They didn't use it. Are you saying they did...if so link please and then I'll take the knowledge and apply it, but as it stands right now...it doesn't.

snyper1982

You are completely oblivious to my point. LOL. I didn't mean to say that they did or didn't use it. I meant that you act like them using it would have dramatically improved performance. Which if they didn't I would say points to the opposite being true....

But that' sbecause you missed my point. I was making fun of cow logic saying PS3 is the king, but we won't see that til devs tap the hidden powah. Well now the 360 has a hidden powah in the GPU, so I was pointing out the flawed cow logic. Until we see it...it ain't proof. and so far no PS3 games look like they couldn't run on teh 360. So i think you misunderstood my overtop assertion to prove faulty cow logic.

Assuming the tessallator unit can live up to the promises I do think games like Gears would benefit tremendously from it, but that is if it doesn't cost too much in other areas and cause a bottleneck in other vital areas.

mikasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 mikasa
[QUOTE="mikasa"][QUOTE="Mordred19"][QUOTE="mikasa"][QUOTE="Teufelhuhn"]

Like I've already said...you're not stuck with 256/256 with PS3. RSX can read from the XDR memory, meaning you can allocate that for texture memory too.
Mordred19

but the whole of the 360's 512mb is relatively slow and inefficient, as opposed to the quickness of dedicated RAM. it takes no more effort to have some RAM allocated from a seperate source and combine that with a pool of dedicated RAM, then it takes to program games with the shared RAM. just some simple programming, and they're even.

Well do a little google search and you'll see the PS3 isn't so efficient at doing that...and devs are complaining about it.

using dedicated pools of RAM is not some new, alien technique.It's no better than the 360, and no worse. It's just a different method, with the potential of equal results.How many of those complaints arerecent or up to date with the current news of PS3 technical support for third-parties?I'd worry more about the Cell (seeing as the issue has already been resolved, we don't need to discuss that anymore).

It's worse.

mikasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 mikasa
[QUOTE="mikasa"][QUOTE="Teufelhuhn"][QUOTE="mikasa"]

Teufelhuhn

So the memory in the PS3 never needs to be written to? Wow, the cell really is powerful it if can magically write GPU data to memory.

Why would you need the GPU to write to XDR memory? Your framebuffer is going to be in the GDDR3 memory, and thats where you write to. You'd use the XDR for storing textures and vertices, which the GPU would read from.

How does the data get to memory?

Teuf_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 Teuf_
[QUOTE="Teufelhuhn"][QUOTE="mikasa"][QUOTE="Teufelhuhn"]

mikasa

The Cell would put it there when loading the textures and models. Anything the GPU would need to write to (render targets) would be kept in GPU memory. Although if you really needed the GPU to write to something in XDR memory, it could do it.
mikasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 mikasa
[QUOTE="mikasa"][QUOTE="Teufelhuhn"][QUOTE="mikasa"][QUOTE="Teufelhuhn"]

Teufelhuhn

The Cell would put it there when loading the textures and models. Anything the GPU would need to write to (render targets) would be kept in GPU memory. Although if you really needed the GPU to write to something in XDR memory, it could do it.

that doesn't sound complicated for devs to manage at all /sarcasm.

caseypayne69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#112 caseypayne69
Member since 2002 • 5395 Posts
This thread is full of to many tech geeks.
SomethingNew21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 SomethingNew21
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

Oviously RSX is more powerful.

That's why first gen PS3 games look way better than second gen Xbox360 games.

And Rockstar is choosing PS3 to make their next big franchise because the Xbox360's GPU is not powerful enough to handle their next gen vision.

mikasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 mikasa

And Rockstar is choosing PS3 to make their next big franchise because the Xbox360's GPU is not powerful enough to handle their next gen vision.

SomethingNew21

looks at gears. Then notices your fanboy goggles and shakes head.

Poop_Slash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 Poop_Slash
Member since 2007 • 499 Posts
[QUOTE="SomethingNew21"]

mikasa

It took Xbox 360 1 year to pump out a game like gears.

While PS3 had a launch game that resemble it in graphics. I said resemble not exactly

Resistence.

40 Player online matches with good graphics vs 8 -player Online matches with good graphics.

Mordred19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 Mordred19
Member since 2007 • 8259 Posts
[QUOTE="Mordred19"]

using dedicated pools of RAM is not some new, alien technique.It's no better than the 360, and no worse. It's just a different method, with the potential of equal results.How many of those complaints are recent or up to date with the current news of PS3 technical support for third-parties?I'd worry more about the Cell (seeing as the issue has already been resolved, we don't need to discuss that anymore).

mikasa

It's worse.

sorry but I am not telepathic, can you explain your reasoning? are you reallygoing to settle for a two-word rebuttal against my assertation that both systems' RAM configurations are equal?

primetime2121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 primetime2121
Member since 2004 • 3953 Posts

SomethingNew21

Gears of WAr still looks better than any released PS3 game

mikasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 mikasa
[QUOTE="mikasa"][QUOTE="SomethingNew21"]

Poop_Slash

It took Xbox 360 1 year to pump out a game like gears.

While PS3 had a launch game that resemble it in graphics. I said resemble not exactly

Resistence.

40 Player online matches with good graphics vs 8 -player Online matches with good graphics.

You are joking right?

Pepsodentalspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#119 Pepsodentalspy
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
I hate these xbox fanboys here preaching about how xenos is better that RSX. COME ON! Xenos is two years older than RSX and two years is an eternity in this bisnes. Ps3 is also more expensive and you STILL think that xenos is more powerful?? Nice...
Velocitas8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 Velocitas8
Member since 2006 • 10748 Posts

I hate these xbox fanboys here preaching about how xenos is better that RSX. COME ON! Xenos is two years older than RSX and two years is an eternity in this bisnes. Ps3 is also more expensive and you STILL think that xenos is more powerful?? Nice...Pepsodentalspy

lol, Wow.

Nagidar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 Nagidar
Member since 2006 • 6231 Posts

http://forum.pcvsconsole.com/viewthread.php?tid=19237

ChiChiMonKilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 ChiChiMonKilla
Member since 2007 • 2339 Posts
Talking about specs is nice but the proof is in the games imo so far GeOW is the best looking game on console with pgr4 a close second. How ever the ps3 has gt5 that just looks sick so who knows we will have a better idea in 2008 when the new games come out. So far the 360 has the best graphics but it has been out longer I will look at games like ut3 ect to see who has the edge.
_Fabrick_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 _Fabrick_
Member since 2007 • 512 Posts
I think everyone noes the Xenos is better, but only slightly.
Nagidar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 Nagidar
Member since 2006 • 6231 Posts

I think everyone noes the Xenos is better, but only slightly._Fabrick_

No, its a little more than "slightly".

Frank2368

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 Frank2368
Member since 2006 • 434 Posts

Xenos is better

skektek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#127 skektek
Member since 2004 • 6530 Posts

I hate these xbox fanboys here preaching about how xenos is better that RSX. COME ON! Xenos is two years older than RSX and two years is an eternity in this bisnes. Ps3 is also more expensive and you STILL think that xenos is more powerful?? Nice...Pepsodentalspy
Uh-oh, someone is going to go to moderation hell for bumping an old thread...

S3P4eeever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 S3P4eeever
Member since 2009 • 371 Posts

RSX is better.

Velocitas8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 Velocitas8
Member since 2006 • 10748 Posts

Xenos is better

Frank2368

You're about 2 years late jumping in on the conversation, bro.

Avatar image for stereointegrity
stereointegrity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 stereointegrity
Member since 2007 • 12151 Posts
radoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 radoman
Member since 2008 • 297 Posts
4890stereointegrity
you said it. I would hate to have a lame gpu like xenos or rsx in my pc.
BlackTragedy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 BlackTragedy
Member since 2009 • 1830 Posts

topic should include the cpu cause they work together

Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -4

#134 Gambler_3
Member since 2009 • 7736 Posts

It doesnt really matter cuz it seems like PS3 is indeed more powerful afterall...

smartcriminal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135 smartcriminal
Member since 2004 • 1275 Posts

All i know is what my eyes tell me and that is for multiplats 360 usually is king except for burnout and GRAW 2, however i haven't seen the 360 output anything similar to killzone 2 and Uncharted 2, so i would say RSX is better then Xenos

dream431ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136 dream431ca
Member since 2003 • 10165 Posts

All I have to say is Uncharted 2.

stereointegrity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138 stereointegrity

*looks at calender* is it 2006?

topgunmv
no silly man its 2009 :P
dream431ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139 dream431ca

topgunmv

Your holding it upside down.

stereointegrity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140 stereointegrity

[QUOTE="topgunmv"]

dream431ca

omg its 9005!!!!!
samuraiguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141 samuraiguns
Member since 2005 • 11588 Posts

I thought Xenos was the proc...

EDIT: the proc is called xenon...:lol:

dream431ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142 dream431ca

[QUOTE="dream431ca"]

[QUOTE="topgunmv"]

stereointegrity

omg its 9005!!!!!

??? OH, your flipping it horizontally. LOL I meant the other way ;)

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#143 navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17450 Posts
Both of them play great games, why does this matter??? Oh yea, System Wars :roll: So this is what gaming has come to?? :(
PBSnipes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144 PBSnipes
Member since 2007 • 14621 Posts

[QUOTE="stereointegrity"][QUOTE="dream431ca"]

dream431ca

omg its 9005!!!!!

??? OH, your flipping it horizontally. LOL I meant the other way ;)

5009?

Avatar image for deactivated-61010a1ed19f4
deactivated-61010a1ed19f4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#145 deactivated-61010a1ed19f4
Member since 2007 • 3235 Posts
Correct me if im wrong but 512mb+10mb edram > 256mb
PSGamerforlife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146 PSGamerforlife
Member since 2009 • 862 Posts

Xenos is more powerful, not a hell of a lot more thought.

Beside, a lot of the graphic post processing is handled through the cell.

caribo2222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147 caribo2222
Member since 2006 • 1181 Posts

Resolved a long time ago, Ps3-console graphics king.

mayceV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#148 mayceV
Member since 2008 • 4633 Posts

caribo2222
just because it has a game that looks better than the competition doesn't mean that the competition can't do better, just look at gears 1 when Kz2 came out. This can happen again except with the 360 getting the console graphics king. what if Halo Reach looked better than Killzone 2? You nevr know I mean it has been in dev for 3 years its possible. What if Gears 3 looked better than uncharted 2? that possible as well. What if Fable 3 was graphics king when it cam out? you never know. So nothing is ever resolved tehneques are always changing an getting better expecially with this gen in specific.
nyctota

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149 nyctota
Member since 2008 • 700 Posts

[QUOTE="caribo2222"]

mayceV

just because it has a game that looks better than the competition doesn't mean that the competition can't do better, just look at gears 1 when Kz2 came out. This can happen again except with the 360 getting the console graphics king. what if Halo Reach looked better than Killzone 2? You nevr know I mean it has been in dev for 3 years its possible. What if Gears 3 looked better than uncharted 2? that possible as well. What if Fable 3 was graphics king when it cam out? you never know. So nothing is ever resolved tehneques are always changing an getting better expecially with this gen in specific.

stop the what if story..

we are talking facts here killzone 2 + uncharted 2 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> xbox360 library

you forgot that the ps3 also keeps improving so once xbox360 will comr close to uncharted 2 gfx ''which i doubt'' ps3 will have another game that will blow xbox360 away.

and not to mention xbox360 is way easier to develop for and 1 year headstart..

and this xenos vs rsx is bs talk because cell+rsx works together in harmony it seems like some of you think that games are only built on a gpu..

and ps3 ram is 2x faster its using xdr

delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150 delta3074
Member since 2007 • 20003 Posts
the xenos easily, apart from the 10mb Edram frame buffer, it uses unified shader architechture, which means it only uses half the shader pipelines the RSX uses for shader operations which free's up more memory for other operations, the RSX has also been known to stall during said shader operations,the xenos is also capable of emulating DX10 subroutines, as far as the tesselator is concerned, it's not really that big a deal, but it does still give it the edge, and for all of those here that blamed porting from the 360 as the reason multiplats look better on the 360, remember the ps3 was the lead platform for ghostbusters and it still looked significantly better on the ps3 so that's just a lame excuse, the xenos has the edge on the RSX, not by much, but obviously enough for it to be noticable.