RPG lovers: Atlus or Square Enix, which one is better these days?

• 147 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ShuichiChamp24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 ShuichiChamp24
Member since 2009 • 5014 Posts

I don't like the Persona Series; yep, I said it. Now that that's out of the way...

Square Enix - srsly.

NIS>Atlus

TalesofRaGnArOk

Nis>Atlus.......:?please tell me your not serious.

falconzss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52 falconzss
Member since 2005 • 755 Posts

atlus quite easily.

there are no SE games that i enjoyed more than any game from the SMT series (including the persona ones).

Gamer4Iife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 Gamer4Iife
Member since 2008 • 6010 Posts

Atlus... by FAR.

Square-Enix isn't as good these days. In fact, they're pretty terrible now that I think about it.

NAPK1NS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#54 NAPK1NS
Member since 2004 • 14870 Posts
I think Atlus and Square are more alike then people think. Atlus publishes a lot of gems (Knights in the Nightmare, Persona, Demon's Souls) but they also bring over a lot of crap. I think the same can be said about SE. I mean, eww, Infinite Undiscovory?
archvile_78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#55 archvile_78
Member since 2007 • 8438 Posts

Heh, i'll always stick to square as they've been big part of my childhood. (well that must be like this with every rpg players) but seeing the thread is about ''these days'' guess ill go with Atlus.

Anyone miss the days where Square was called Squaresoft? They released so many good games when they were SS.

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 finalfantasy94
Member since 2004 • 27442 Posts

I just like the fact that atlus takes the chance and brings games over so we can play them. So as a publisher I really like them. I also like them as a dev. Only thing SE put out recently that I like was dissidia.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#57 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts
I think Atlus and Square are more alike then people think. Atlus publishes a lot of gems (Knights in the Nightmare, Persona, Demon's Souls) but they also bring over a lot of crap. I think the same can be said about SE. I mean, eww, Infinite Undiscovory?NAPK1NS
Eww is correct.
-RPGamer-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#58 -RPGamer-
Member since 2002 • 34283 Posts

Easily Atlus, wha is shocking is TWEWY felt like an Atlus game, and if I was unaware when playing it I would have guessed it was an Atlus title. Square Enix needs to stop making titles with FF, DQ, and KH in them and start focusing on new content or even older franchises that are being ignored.

-RPGamer-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#59 -RPGamer-
Member since 2002 • 34283 Posts

[QUOTE="NAPK1NS"]I think Atlus and Square are more alike then people think. Atlus publishes a lot of gems (Knights in the Nightmare, Persona, Demon's Souls) but they also bring over a lot of crap. I think the same can be said about SE. I mean, eww, Infinite Undiscovory?Bigboi500
Eww is correct.

I don't agree, I would rather SE take risks with tri-Ace's content than rely almost entirely on FF< DQ, and KH.

Rhen_Var

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#60 Rhen_Var
Member since 2006 • 12422 Posts

Atlus by far to me.
Their games a great, may it be Persona, Digital Devil Saga or Devil Summoner, I enjoyed them.

And the way they release their games is certainly not a drag. Unlike Square Enix who announces friggin FFXIII like, years before, Atlus announces Persona 3 Portable a few months when the product is at least in 80% condition.

Plus, they make great fanservice, I remember begging for Persona 3FES and hell, it worked, and if I didn't, they probably would have anyway. Though I've yet to see any objection to a Persona 2 remake.

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#61 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

I've liked Atlus more than SE for a long time now. They make awesome games, not just RPGs. The SMT franchise is my favorite in gaming, so naturally Atlus gets my vote.

Burning-Sludge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 Burning-Sludge
Member since 2008 • 4068 Posts

Etrian Odyssey > Old Final Fantasy Odyssey.

Atlus FTW.

Don't get me wrong. I actually like re-releases of out of print games, but Atlus games are still better.

xionvalkyrie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 xionvalkyrie
Member since 2008 • 3444 Posts

I haven't really played an Atlus RPGs, so SE for me.

Lionheart08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#64 Lionheart08
Member since 2005 • 15814 Posts

Easily Atlus, wha is shocking is TWEWY felt like an Atlus game, and if I was unaware when playing it I would have guessed it was an Atlus title. Square Enix needs to stop making titles with FF, DQ, and KH in them and start focusing on new content or even older franchises that are being ignored.

-RPGamer-

Dragon Quest and Kingdom Hearts aren't that big of a problem. It's all the Final Fantasy spinoffs.

svetzenlether

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 svetzenlether
Member since 2003 • 3082 Posts

Bioware

heysharpshooter

I concur

svetzenlether

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 svetzenlether
Member since 2003 • 3082 Posts

[QUOTE="heysharpshooter"]

[QUOTE="TheCoreGamer_"]bioware sucks.Yandere

is it the lack of effeminate male lead characters or hidden princesses with amnisa? just curious.

Do we really need a JRPG vs WRPG fight?

th otakus need to be put in their place every now and then...

treedoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 treedoor
Member since 2004 • 7648 Posts

Atlus wins not necessarily because of their own great games, but rather because they localize so many great, niche games which I respect a lot.

SE? Well they don't really do anything great anymore.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 Bigboi500

[QUOTE="Yandere"]

is it the lack of effeminate male lead characters or hidden princesses with amnisa? just curious.

svetzenlether

This thread isn't about any of that. We have more than enough of that in all the other SW RPG threads.

Avatar image for Hiroshi_Ichirou
Hiroshi_Ichirou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 Hiroshi_Ichirou
Member since 2009 • 151 Posts
[QUOTE="svetzenlether"]

[QUOTE="Yandere"]

I don't need you to take this the wrong way but it needs to be done. You can't go around using words from other languages and exspect them to mean what you hear online. The word Otaku means a person obessed with a perticular hobby or interest. That means it doesn't have to be something Japanese related, a person who plays baseball all the time in Japan and that is all they do and all they talk about would be considered a Otaku of Baseball for example. Believe it or not you could be considered a video gaming Otaku if you play video games a obessive amount, because that is what a Otaku is, a person who obesses over a perticulr hobby of interest. How you choose to understand this is up to you, I know you will disagree, many Japanese words get used incorrectly every day and no one cares. I once had someone tell me Neko means half cat/half human, then I learned it only means Cat.
-Oath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 -Oath
Member since 2008 • 8014 Posts

Recently Atlus has done a better job when it comes to both Publishing and developing. Over all thosugh I would have to go with Square.

jasonharris48

This.

Lately Atlus has really been pleasing me, a die hard JRPG fan.

Couth_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 Couth_
Member since 2008 • 10369 Posts
I've never been interested in anything Atlus except for Demon's Souls which they are only publishing. I'll stick with Square
Burning-Sludge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 Burning-Sludge

I just noticed that the topic was developer/publisher. If games published count then Atlus definitely beats Square Enix as of late.

Devon32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 Devon32
Member since 2007 • 1620 Posts

I picked Square-Enix. I still think SE is the best RPG developers out there, although they have been leaving us in the cold I'm still waiting for FFXIII/VS/Star Ocean Last hope for PS3. Also looking forward to FF14 for PC. They have brought 2 titles for PSP and also KH upcoming, but Crisis Core was somewhat a dissapointment but it was still a great game but it could have been longer and felt it would have been a greater success if they released it on a console or PC instead. Dissidia was good too but the same as Crisis Core would have been much better if it was on a console its way more fun playing multiplayer with friends on a console than PC.

I have to admit Altus is doing a great job too I love the Persona games, but if I have to choose between them two I would pick SE cause all the game they have made they would still remain the best, but hopefully they will be releasing their new titles soon.

Jynxzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 Jynxzor
Member since 2003 • 9313 Posts
Gotta say Atlus, can't beat the Persona Series in my opinion. Devil Survivor was awesome allbeit a bit short. Their marquee titles just scream quallity and they are the few games I would rather have the english dub rather than the Japanese VA and Subtitles, they have amazing voice tallent. SE is good, but they seem to have lost touch in recent years. But they are still a damn good company and I love their games to death.
ceruxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 ceruxx
Member since 2007 • 1292 Posts

[QUOTE="Yandere"]

svetzenlether

Not everyone who plays JRPGs are Otaku.

I don't know any JRPGs with effeminate male leads, care to name any?

-CUBE-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 -CUBE-
Member since 2006 • 708 Posts
Atlus >>>>>> SE atleast this this and the past gen.
Silent-Hal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#77 Silent-Hal
Member since 2007 • 9795 Posts

ceruxx

You were saying? :P

ceruxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 ceruxx

[QUOTE="ceruxx"]

Silent-Hal

Vaan isn't effeminate in game. He just has upside down abs.

Jynxzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 Jynxzor
Member since 2003 • 9313 Posts

Silent-Hal

Oh right, all he is missing is a shaved head and space marine armour, thats what makes a real man.

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts

Overworks!!!!! They made Skies of Arcadia!!!!! Great RPG Period. but fom that list, Atlus got Square beat especially on the DS. So many great Atlus RPG's on it and on the way it makes no sense!!!!

ceruxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 ceruxx

Overworks!!!!! They made Skies of Arcadia!!!!! Great RPG Period. but fom that list, Atlus got Square beat especially on the DS. So many great Atlus RPG's on it and on the way it makes no sense!!!!

nini200

I thought they were called SEGA WOW? I just got Eternal (Skies of) Arcadia and Valkyria Chronicles is on the way. :o

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts

[QUOTE="nini200"]

ceruxx

I thought they were called SEGA WOW? I just got Eternal (Skies of) Arcadia and Valkyria Chronicles is on the way. :o

Yeah now they are. They Rock!!!!

Burning-Sludge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 Burning-Sludge

nini200

Really, there is more on the way? Darn it! And I was only 3 DS games from rounding out my collection at 80 games.

MarcusAntonius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 MarcusAntonius
Member since 2004 • 15667 Posts

Um.....these days? Atlus surpassed Square-Enix years ago.

2-10-08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#85 2-10-08
Member since 2008 • 2775 Posts

Square Enix has been dominating since the beginning of time.

Avatar image for Solar_Eclipse13
Solar_Eclipse13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 Solar_Eclipse13
Member since 2009 • 169 Posts

SE, course you could probably tell that by my sig.8)

Cicatraz_ESP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 Cicatraz_ESP
Member since 2006 • 1993 Posts

I have a question about an RPG. I normally don't play single player games anymore, but have really had the urge to get a JRPG recently. Would it be a bad choice to get Tales of Vesperia? I have never played any of the old ones, will I be missing out storywise? All I can really get one for is 360 or Wii, my PS3 is broken and my PC is having issues so what would be a good, long JRPG that I can get?

Zaibach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#88 Zaibach
Member since 2007 • 13466 Posts

SE can only one thing well these days and thats FF, everything else sucks.. give us a vagrant story sequels you pricks!!!

kidcool189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 kidcool189
Member since 2008 • 4307 Posts
"these days"...cmon now, of course atlus if it was all time(including squaresoft), then that would be a tough choice
Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 Bigboi500

I have a question about an RPG. I normally don't play single player games anymore, but have really had the urge to get a JRPG recently. Would it be a bad choice to get Tales of Vesperia? I have never played any of the old ones, will I be missing out storywise? All I can really get one for is 360 or Wii, my PS3 is broken and my PC is having issues so what would be a good, long JRPG that I can get?

Cicatraz_ESP

Yes it's a great game and not connected to other Tales games. One of the best JRPGs out this gen. Get it.

kidcool189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 kidcool189
Member since 2008 • 4307 Posts

I don't like the Persona Series; yep, I said it. Now that that's out of the way...

Square Enix - srsly.

NIS>Atlus

TalesofRaGnArOk
wait what? i could of sworn at some point u at an avatar the persona 3 MC ...of course of i could thinkin of someone else tho :P
Cicatraz_ESP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 Cicatraz_ESP

[QUOTE="Cicatraz_ESP"]

Bigboi500

Yes it's a great game and not connected to other Tales games. One of the best JRPGs out this gen. Get it.

Awesome, glad to hear it. I love the artstyle, demo was pretty fun but the combat system was sort of weird to figure out, sure I will in time though, and the music sounded awesome. How long is the game, and is the storyline at least decent? I'm really in the mood for an engaging story.

bad_fur_day

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#93 bad_fur_day
Member since 2008 • 1988 Posts

Atlus is now better than SE, yep I said it.

Bigboi500

Definately.

Also the person above me if you want a jrpg to play, get persona3. My vote for best anime rpg.

Avatar image for SexySasquatch11
SexySasquatch11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 SexySasquatch11
Member since 2008 • 500 Posts

Atlus! FF was the only real thing SE had going for them, and after the utter trash that was FF12 I won't be playing anymore.

neversnow24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 neversnow24
Member since 2009 • 134 Posts
square no ****ing doubt. i dont even know how you can make that question. and i really dont know how square is losing in the poll. but i dont a crap about others. FF should be enough to blow atlus, since its prob the most famous franchise eve.period. then they have kingdom hears, dragon quest, and others. they publish great games like MW2 in japan. they own eidos and so that great batman game is owned by them.
Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 Bigboi500

[QUOTE="Bigboi500"]

[QUOTE="Cicatraz_ESP"]

Cicatraz_ESP

Awesome, glad to hear it. I love the artstyle, demo was pretty fun but the combat system was sort of weird to figure out, sure I will in time though, and the music sounded awesome. How long is the game, and is the storyline at least decent? I'm really in the mood for an engaging story.

It's pretty long and has optional quests and even secret bosses. The story is not the best though, but it's a great adventure.

Cicatraz_ESP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 Cicatraz_ESP

[QUOTE="Cicatraz_ESP"]

[QUOTE="Bigboi500"]Yes it's a great game and not connected to other Tales games. One of the best JRPGs out this gen. Get it.

Bigboi500

It's pretty long and has optional quests and even secret bosses. The story is not the best though, but it's a great adventure.

I'm pretty sure I will be getting it tomorrow. If you say best JRPG this gen then that must count for something. The main draw for me is still the graphics though, soooo beautiful, I hope their is a wide variety of places to go. Mountains, Deserts, forests, that sort of stuff. I can't wait to see more of those visuals.

bubbleboyii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#98 bubbleboyii
Member since 2005 • 550 Posts

And Atlus is bringing P3 to PSP.

Scythes777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 Scythes777
Member since 2006 • 2796 Posts

Atlus because of Snowboard kids...

yea I just said that.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 Bigboi500

[QUOTE="Bigboi500"]

[QUOTE="Cicatraz_ESP"]Awesome, glad to hear it. I love the artstyle, demo was pretty fun but the combat system was sort of weird to figure out, sure I will in time though, and the music sounded awesome. How long is the game, and is the storyline at least decent? I'm really in the mood for an engaging story.

Cicatraz_ESP

I'm pretty sure I will be getting it tomorrow. If you say best JRPG this gen then that must count for something. The main draw for me is still the graphics though, soooo beautiful, I hope their is a wide variety of places to go. Mountains, Deserts, forests, that sort of stuff. I can't wait to see more of those visuals.

It's certainly one of the best along with P3 and P4 imo.