Polygon Slams Dragons Crown with a 6.5/10 due to objectification of women.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#151 BPoole96
Member since 2008 • 22818 Posts

dat gaemz gernilysm

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#152 ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

dat gaemz gernilysm

BPoole96

Gaemz Germalism.

PhazonBlazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#153 PhazonBlazer
Member since 2007 • 12013 Posts

Does Carollyn Petit write for them now?

LordOfPoms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#154 LordOfPoms
Member since 2013 • 1138 Posts
[QUOTE="LordOfPoms"][QUOTE="redskins26rocs"]
I agree since Dragons Crown does not have hookers, but in GTAIV which you are mostly referring to they dont really objectify women ( other than the hookers), even Romans girlfriend seemed to have standards and was not really a sex object, even Michelle was  [spoiler] an undercover cop which is kind of far from downplaying women since it is considered a respectful profession at least compared to any men main characters in the game.  [/spoiler] ALso has GTA ever had a main character that has not been a criminal or back stabber ( like GTA SA for example). The series is kind of about the criminal life not giving money to charityredskins26rocs
GTA is the story of the underbelly of American life, so it's not supposed to be glamorous, but GTA certainly does objectify women and it's rare they're anything but hookers or sex objects for the male characters. That doesn't mean the game isn't right in showing that seedy side of life (after all, this isn't Grand Theft Church Goer), but my point is that in Dragon's Crown the Amazon is a strong character who you can play and has a particular art style associated to her on purpose to make her unique. In GTA, most of the women just ask if you want to get lucky and get in your car to have "sex" and give you life or their only role in the plot is to be a hooker or one of Anita's Damsels in Distress. Yet no reviewer will dare touch RockStar for this, but they teed off on Vanillaware.

So what are you implying if Dragon Crown is not discrimating towards women because that is the style of the game therefore it should be forgiven or ignored, yet GTA is the style game where it kind of a thug life story with power, wealth, and sex kind of like some movies yet it should be deducted from its score I think we are kind of misunderstanding each other, do you think I am okay with Dragons Crown getting a poor score for such a stupid reason?

I think we are misunderstanding each other, so I apologize. My thing is that Dragon's Crown got taken to the wood shed over an art style, but GTA would never get this sort of praise despite being even worse than DC is in terms or portrayal of women. I'm just pointing out the inconsistency, but we agree!
Avatar image for deactivated-5e7f8a21de9dd
deactivated-5e7f8a21de9dd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

User Lists: 1

#155 deactivated-5e7f8a21de9dd
Member since 2008 • 4403 Posts

I agree that objectification of women is bad and should end, but at the same time, if the game is actually good, give it a good score.  The change should come from gamers not buying games that portray women as Dragon's Crown does, not from game companies giving the games low scores, manipulating consumers into believing the game is poorly made.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a
deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#156 deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a
Member since 2008 • 26108 Posts
[QUOTE="tagyhag"]This is what happens when you let people like Anita live. Already corrupting most of the journalism, now going after devs like Cliffy B. Soon all we'll play are games as a transgender Samoan killing faceless mannequins with the power of speech.

This. From what I skimmed, it seemed like the game was fun. But nope, boobs and asses.
BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157 BPoole96

This is what happens when you let people like Anita live.tagyhag

Are you proposing that we no longer allow Anita Sarkesian to live?

Avatar image for Midnightshade29
Midnightshade29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 301

#158 Midnightshade29
Member since 2008 • 6003 Posts

Didn't know that me old mate Drasonak got a job there. 

psymon100

Good you can tell him the site he works for is the BIGGEST PILE OF DOG CRAP TO EVER GRACE THE INTERNET!!!

These poly fools where the hell did they come from? I didn't even know about this crap site since this year... I know the one guy there has a very strong bias slant and even admited it. We don't need people like this in game jounralism.

AND STOP WITH THE BS "OBJECTIFYING WOMEN" crap... its fantasy art and rated mature. Let me guess this doush is ok with pron right? He should protesting that if it was the case, not games... so GTFO!

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a
deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#159 deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a
Member since 2008 • 26108 Posts

[QUOTE="tagyhag"]This is what happens when you let people like Anita live.BPoole96

That should be put into action immediately.
Midnightshade29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160 Midnightshade29
Polygon is pretty shitty but so is this game. I don't care about the boobage (typical Japanese crap pandering to horny men) so I agree docking a game for something like that is dumb. Dragon's Crown isn't the only game to "objectify women;" it's pretty much industry standard. princeofshapeir
Have you played it? No then gtfo! This game harkens back to the Advanced Dungeons and Dragons Arcade games only with way more RPG elements, longer levels and way more loot. This (outside of last of us and GTA5) has been my most wanted game this year!
Midnightshade29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161 Midnightshade29
This is why opinions vary. The reviewer has the right to speak her mind, but it shouldn't become personal. She sounds like she's a very insecure female who doesn't have any self esteem. If this was reviewed by a male gamer (who it's probably aimed at), I'm sure it would have gotten at least an 8 or better from Polygon. I've seem similar things like this happen on Gamespot as well. This is why I don't take their reviews seriously. The game is obviously very good and gamers should just judge it for themselves. blackace
It depends... if it was a xbox exclusive, and reviewed by a male on their site, I am sure it would get great reviews....
MuD3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162 MuD3
Member since 2011 • 2192 Posts
A review is just an opinion.... If the reviewer is put off by any aspect of the game it will lower the score they give it and of course it's completely fair, anyone can have whatever opinion they want doesn't matter it's published or not. this is why it's important to look at many reviews and to learn who holds similar taste as yourself when trusting them.
Midnightshade29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163 Midnightshade29

Im all for objectifying women but this just looks stupid :P 

All of the character models in that game just look flat out dumb from what I've seen. 

amazon.png

A 6.5 isn't a bad score so Im not sure why you're complaining anyways. Its just one person's opinion 

mems_1224
HE mad its a playstation exclusive... only reason any fool would side with that crap site... and its mems.... hating on a PS game...business as usual.
xhawk27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164 xhawk27
Member since 2010 • 12183 Posts

I think Someone should make a FPS game where you play as a busty female solider! 

Midnightshade29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165 Midnightshade29
[QUOTE="freedomfreak"]I absolutely agree with the review. Michael0134567

Mad not on wii-u :P
Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#166 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

lol it looks like a 1980 cartoon rehash.

campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
This political correctness needs to die. clyde46
this. ffs.
jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#168 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64040 Posts
I'm looking forward to the Bayonetta 2 reads. Either because the excellent gameplay from the original will be overlooked(say whatever you want, but there are not that many games that play as well as Bayonetta does) for some nonsense about being politically correct in a game that doesn't take its own narrative seriously. Or...the part where the full on ignore it. Because...you can't slam one game, and then not bitch about it with another game that runs that line into shameless territory.
Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169 ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

[QUOTE="tagyhag"]This is what happens when you let people like Anita live.BPoole96

:lol:

I believe she currently has a flash game out that involves smashing her face in.

DarkStraberry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170 DarkStraberry
Member since 2009 • 572 Posts
I'm looking forward to the Bayonetta 2 reads. Either because the excellent gameplay from the original will be overlooked(say whatever you want, but there are not that many games that play as well as Bayonetta does) for some nonsense about being politically correct in a game that doesn't take its own narrative seriously. Or...the part where the full on ignore it. Because...you can't slam one game, and then not bitch about it with another game that runs that line into shameless territory. jg4xchamp
Agreed. And their review of GTA V where they won't mention killing prostitutes. Very consistent Arthur.
Michael0134567

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#171 Michael0134567
Member since 2008 • 28651 Posts

lol it looks like a 1980 cartoon rehash.

Bigboi500
Oh no, they got to you too. :(
jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172 jg4xchamp

This aspect of this I don't like. It's not that I agree with, it's not that I don't think her arguments don't have their flaws, but it is not a bad thing for this industry to actually talk about the shit she brings up.

I don't think ...gamespots review disservices the game as the game gets most of the credit it deserves. I have major disagreements with the assessment of the art direction(I don't think the female designs are out of place in that game, they fit that arty style fine). But I do find it to be a bit of a disservice to this medium for not at least accepting some broad(lol get it? broad?) aspects of Anita's arguments.

Modern media in all forms has developed some not so flattering habits that it almost doesn't even seem to address. I think another aspect that needs to be talked about is where the f*ck are the women game designers? There is no way in 2013 we have had the audience expanded as much as we have, and the only women game design that I can think of off the top of my head is Amy Henning from naughty dog. That seems crazy to me, because the best way we start getting better representation of women is going to be through actual women.

But alas gaming journalism never really steps up to the plate for this type of stufff.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173 Bigboi500

[QUOTE="jg4xchamp"]I'm looking forward to the Bayonetta 2 reads. Either because the excellent gameplay from the original will be overlooked(say whatever you want, but there are not that many games that play as well as Bayonetta does) for some nonsense about being politically correct in a game that doesn't take its own narrative seriously. Or...the part where the full on ignore it. Because...you can't slam one game, and then not bitch about it with another game that runs that line into shameless territory. DarkStraberry
Agreed. And their review of GTA V where they won't mention killing prostitutes. Very consistent Arthur.

If Vanillaware had the same kind of clout and $$$ that Rockstar has, the feminist reviewers would keep their mouths' shut and be good little worker ants and do as they were told.

DarkStraberry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174 DarkStraberry
Member since 2009 • 572 Posts

[QUOTE="jg4xchamp"]I'm looking forward to the Bayonetta 2 reads. Either because the excellent gameplay from the original will be overlooked(say whatever you want, but there are not that many games that play as well as Bayonetta does) for some nonsense about being politically correct in a game that doesn't take its own narrative seriously. Or...the part where the full on ignore it. Because...you can't slam one game, and then not bitch about it with another game that runs that line into shameless territory. DarkStraberry

If Vanillaware had the same kind of clout and $$$ that Rockstar has, the feminist reviewers would keep their mouths' shut and be good little worker ants and do as they were told.

Actually, I think Polygon is biased against Sony and they took the opportunity to give a Sony (Vita and PS3) exclusive a bad score. Could be just me, but read Arthur Gies twitter account and you will understand...

AcidSoldner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175 AcidSoldner
Member since 2007 • 7051 Posts
where the f*ck are the women game designers? There is no way in 2013 we have had the audience expanded as much as we have, and the only women game design that I can think of off the top of my head is Amy Henning from naughty dog.jg4xchamp
Jade Raymond
BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176 BPoole96

[QUOTE="BPoole96"]

[QUOTE="tagyhag"]This is what happens when you let people like Anita live.jg4xchamp

This aspect of this I don't like. It's not that I agree with, it's not that I don't think her arguments don't have their flaws, but it is not a bad thing for this industry to actually talk about the shit she brings up.

I don't think ...gamespots review disservices the game as the game gets most of the credit it deserves. I have major disagreements with the assessment of the art direction(I don't think the female designs are out of place in that game, they fit that arty style fine). But I do find it to be a bit of a disservice to this medium for not at least accepting some broad(lol get it? broad?) aspects of Anita's arguments.

Modern media in all forms has developed some not so flattering habits that it almost doesn't even seem to address. I think another aspect that needs to be talked about is where the f*ck are the women game designers? There is no way in 2013 we have had the audience expanded as much as we have, and the only women game design that I can think of off the top of my head is Amy Henning from naughty dog. That seems crazy to me, because the best way we start getting better representation of women is going to be through actual women.

But alas gaming journalism never really steps up to the plate for this type of stufff.

This video pretty much sums up what you said

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177 Bigboi500

[QUOTE="jg4xchamp"] where the f*ck are the women game designers? There is no way in 2013 we have had the audience expanded as much as we have, and the only women game design that I can think of off the top of my head is Amy Henning from naughty dog.AcidSoldner
Jade Raymond

Is she an actual game designer, or just a PR person?

kuraimen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178 kuraimen
Member since 2010 • 28078 Posts
What is wrong with objectifying women? Isn't that racist?
mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts
[QUOTE="mems_1224"]

All of the character models in that game just look flat out dumb from what I've seen. 

amazon.png

A 6.5 isn't a bad score so Im not sure why you're complaining anyways. Its just one person's opinion 

Midnightshade29
HE mad its a playstation exclusive... only reason any fool would side with that crap site... and its mems.... hating on a PS game...business as usual.

I didnt even know it was a PS3 exclusive. In fact, I didnt know shit about this game before today. Try harder stupid.
jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180 jg4xchamp

[QUOTE="AcidSoldner"][QUOTE="jg4xchamp"] where the f*ck are the women game designers? There is no way in 2013 we have had the audience expanded as much as we have, and the only women game design that I can think of off the top of my head is Amy Henning from naughty dog.Bigboi500

Jade Raymond

Yeah with no real disrespect towards Raymond(if she's legit a designer, f*cking kudos to her) I always get the sense that she's more a PR face/Producer type than like a full on game director or something.

But yeah Im not saying Amy Henning is the only one. The original Portal was Kim Swift's idea, and there is that chick who was worked with whats his face on Journey. It's just think It's weird that in this large pool of game developers we get like one note worthy female game designer mentioned here or there. You would think more women would be climbing the ladder by now given how much broader the audience is now for videogames. Unless the vast majority of them are in the iphone space or something.

kuraimen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#181 kuraimen
Member since 2010 • 28078 Posts
[QUOTE="Midnightshade29"][QUOTE="mems_1224"]

amazon.png

mems_1224

I didnt even know it was a PS3 exclusive. In fact, I didnt know shit about this game before today. Try harder stupid.

Y u so mad though?
psymon100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182 psymon100
Member since 2012 • 6835 Posts

[QUOTE="psymon100"]

Didn't know that me old mate Drasonak got a job there. 

Midnightshade29

Good you can tell him the site he works for is the BIGGEST PILE OF DOG CRAP TO EVER GRACE THE INTERNET!!!

These poly fools where the hell did they come from? I didn't even know about this crap site since this year... I know the one guy there has a very strong bias slant and even admited it. We don't need people like this in game jounralism.

AND STOP WITH THE BS "OBJECTIFYING WOMEN" crap... its fantasy art and rated mature. Let me guess this doush is ok with pron right? He should protesting that if it was the case, not games... so GTFO!

Hello. 

I'd just like to state that I don't share all of Drasonak's views, I actually wonder if he plays an exaggurated version of himself online. My views are those of equality, eg men and women could choose to view or not view porn, or be porn stars, or run for Mister/Ms Prime Minister etc. 

Also, Drasonak didn't reply to an email I wrote him a while back. I guess this means he would like it if I died promptly. So I'm unable to pass on your kind words, my most sincere apologies old chummy mcfunny. 

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#183 jg4xchamp

[QUOTE="jg4xchamp"]

[QUOTE="BPoole96"]

BPoole96

This video pretty much sums up what you said

I agree to an extent with him. I do not think however his excuse is justification for so many f*cking game developers having shitty protrayels of women. But then again al ot of them just suck dick as story tellers in general so it's not just women they f*ck up ;P

But he's semi correct. A significant improvement would be shown if there were more women developers.

EvanTheGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#184 EvanTheGamer
Member since 2009 • 1550 Posts

Waiting for feminist game designers to make thier own games instead of demanding others to change.

strawhatlupi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#185 strawhatlupi
Member since 2008 • 869 Posts

Waiting for feminist game designers to make thier own games instead of demanding others to change.

EvanTheGamer
most of them are hypocrite bigots. they feel their moral and preference are superior. they always feel like they are victims. the truth is they just discriminate other minorities whose preference is not of their taste. they discriminate sexy women who are proud of their bodies. they discriminate women who prefer being a reserved housewives and submissive. they discriminate women that are involve in adult industries. any reference to this group is a blatant insult to their sensibilities.
Midnightshade29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#186 Midnightshade29

[QUOTE="EvanTheGamer"]

strawhatlupi

most of them are hypocrite bigots.

they feel their moral and preference are superior. they always feel like they are victims.

the truth is they just discriminate other minorities whose preference is not of their taste.
they discriminate sexy women who are proud of their bodies.
they discriminate women who prefer being a reserved housewives and submissive.
they discriminate women that are involve in adult industries.

any reference to this group is a blatant insult to their sensibilities.

They are more filled with double standards than anything.

There was a debate video on Youtube with a gamer and a "Feminist lady" , the gamer was mad that Sexy women that weren't gamers were promoting games on you-tube but were all fakes and didn't know crap about it.

The woman went on to say that was ok, they can dress like that for views, and the gamer called them in relation to whores.. The feminist went on to say, "there not whores , they are sex workers" throughout the whole video, and even went on to say its a legitimate profession for females.... in the same sense as a doctor /facepalm.

"Its ok for a woman to flash and promote her body for money, but if a guy objectifies them online or in public it's wrong...."...so much wrong from some of them..

PernicioEnigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187 PernicioEnigma
Member since 2010 • 6662 Posts
This is bull sh*t. Sexism exists, there's no doubt about that, and it's undeniable that girls/women are the victims more often than not. But men will always be physically attracted to women, and to express this attraction in art, entertainment, etc is not an example of sexism, and to suggest it is would be to insult those who are genuine victims of sexism. Games don't treat men any differently either. Most male characters in American games are hyper masculine, not an accurate depiction of the average male by any means.
gamecubepad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -12

#188 gamecubepad
Member since 2003 • 7214 Posts

Much ado about nothing...

at least we have champ to bring something worthwhile to the table.

Sagem28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#189 Sagem28
Member since 2010 • 10498 Posts

I hope they realize that saying sh!t like this will actually increase sales.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#190 DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts

[QUOTE="BPoole96"]

[QUOTE="tagyhag"]This is what happens when you let people like Anita live.jg4xchamp

This.

Though I can think of a few more female game designers than just Amy Henning. Still, the point stands. These sorts of things should be discussed, and not just when a game that offends everyone's sensibilities comes out.

Sollet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#192 Sollet
Member since 2003 • 8283 Posts
We need more games like Dragon's Crown.
Led_poison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#193 Led_poison
Member since 2004 • 10146 Posts
Jimmies status rustled
Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#194 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

I want a valid reason how objectifying a women could lead to problems.

Maybe if you are an insecure girl, but that's your problem!

fend_oblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#195 fend_oblivion
Member since 2006 • 6760 Posts

Oh this is the one with t!t witch. :lol:

Big_Pecks
You could say that this is the witch with Big Pecks ;)
FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#196 FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20251 Posts

Edit: Just found out it was a female reviewer

This is why we can't have nice things..... Sorry that video game characters get women jealous about them, she must have mental issues back in high school.

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#197 parkurtommo
Member since 2009 • 28295 Posts

[QUOTE="Bigboi500"]

[QUOTE="AcidSoldner"]Jade Raymond  jg4xchamp

Yeah with no real disrespect towards Raymond(if she's legit a designer, f*cking kudos to her) I always get the sense that she's more a PR face/Producer type than like a full on game director or something.

But yeah Im not saying Amy Henning is the only one. The original Portal was Kim Swift's idea, and there is that chick who was worked with whats his face on Journey. It's just think It's weird that in this large pool of game developers we get like one note worthy female game designer mentioned here or there. You would think more women would be climbing the ladder by now given how much broader the audience is now for videogames. Unless the vast majority of them are in the iphone space or something.

Well one thing's for sure, most of the games that have some feminine input seem to be really good! :P (Portal, Uncharted, Journey etc.)
Zaibach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#198 Zaibach
Member since 2007 • 13466 Posts

I'm ok with this

rjdofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#199 rjdofu
Member since 2008 • 9171 Posts
God forbid people loving some T&A, smh
Raziel831991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#200 Raziel831991
Member since 2013 • 631 Posts

EvanTheGamer

This. If you dont like there are games that pander to males why dont feminists make games that pander to a female audience.

In fact, unlike common belief, Japan actually makes games that pander to the sexual fetishes of both males and females (japanese games that pander to sexual fetishes of females are called fujoshi games) , the thing is that japanese games that pander to females are very niche even Japan which is the reason why they never get localized.