• 114 results
Avatar image for EducatingU_PCMR
EducatingU_PCMR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

Poll PC players have higher standards? (120 votes)

Absolutely. It's called The Master Race® for a reason 64%
No 28%
Too busy watching The Order: 1885, I'll get to this in 5 hours 8%

My friends (sorry, this cup is inspired) now that CoD: AW is free to play for the weekend on Steam, I've noticed the game is completely dead.

A yearly franchise in which little to no effort is placed, now you can jump higher so it's revolutionary, but that hasn't helped the PC numbers, probably the lack of dedicated servers has something to do, or perhaps PC players don't bend over so hard to the DLC milkage and mediocrity.

Meanwhile CoD: AW remains on the top selling spots of console games each month, and since there's little dedicated servers can do for analog sticks and auto-aim, console gamers seem generally content with the game.

You can see this as well with one of the major titles from last year, multiple GOTY winner Dragon Age: Inquisition, the user scores for the overrated wannabe-MMO differ greatly on MC.

And the opposite case with underappreciated games like Alien: Isolation, not so drastic, but it's there.

So, can we conclude that PC players just have higher standards and are able to see through BS.

Why are console gamers pleased so easily?

Perhaps it is up to the master race to drive the industry forward to a new generation of gameplay.

What do you think?

• 
naz99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#51 naz99
Member since 2002 • 2941 Posts

@GarGx1 said:

All that early access crap you get on PC. You don't get that on consoles!

Loading Video...

Star Shitizen more like!! Amirite?!

:P

xdude85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52  Edited By xdude85
Member since 2006 • 6559 Posts

Most PC gamers reek of insecurity.

dxmcat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 dxmcat
Member since 2007 • 3385 Posts
@xdude85 said:

Most PC gamers reek of insecurity.

This board is full of insecurity.

So your system (be it PC, XB1, PS4, w/e) is so damn great. You should be playing it and having a blast. But instead, you choose to go to a forum and bash everything other than what you own.

If that is not insecurity, I don't know what is.

Avatar image for deactivated-597794cd74015
deactivated-597794cd74015

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#54 deactivated-597794cd74015
Member since 2012 • 961 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

That sucks, because Advanced Warfare is actually a great game.

Most Call of Duty games are. But they are not worth $60 every year. MW1 and 2 perfected the formula and the series could have ended there.

Avatar image for deactivated-597794cd74015
deactivated-597794cd74015

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 deactivated-597794cd74015
Member since 2012 • 961 Posts

@princeofshapeir said:

@charizard1605 said:

That sucks, because Advanced Warfare is actually a great game.

CoD inherently is shit

On topic, no, they don't. Whatever big game is about to be released or just released will be the top seller on Steam, even it's a steaming pile of shit like AC Unity. Even after that game got panned it was still a top seller on Steam. You don't suddenly develop good taste just because you built a PC and play video games on it.

Also, all those crappy early access games everyone buys, and DayZ ripoff #9,999

Except Unity did not sell well.........................

You also have a strange definition of "everyone". A few people with too much money and free time buy them and then complain about games that they should have avoided.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#56 deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

I would say they have different standards.

Most Console games tend to be VERY formulaic, you might not know the story it tells, but you damn well almost always know exactly how it plays.

The most important Things seems to be initial impressions and a very well made game with fairly basic sontrol schemes and gameplay. You can see it from console games purchace habits.

I find that alot of PC gamers, look more into the game mechanics, and don't mind a less polished game as long as it offers something different, a new spin on something, new ideas and executions. In other Words They seem to find gameplay the most important aspect of all, by such a margin that there seems to be a disconnect from the two Groups if exclusively playing on one of the types of systems.

I think that is why we see such a devide in a game loke TLoU (a very good example to be honest) Execution, voice acting, setup and story are told really well, but placed untop of really simple and run-of-the-mill gameplay systems.

As oppsed to most PC centric games that might look great but really might not, where the act of playing is way more important, how the character moves, how many options and what options you have to your disposal.

A game like Divinity Original Sin might be a good example of this, or perhaps Endless Legend. A Whole lot of tweaking and usage of different systems, which carreis the game, the story is there to facilitage the gameplay, not the other way around like we often see on Console.

Ofcourse this only really seem to make sense if we look at exclusives, to see differences, as most of us play a ton of 3rd party games, which tend to strike a ballance between console and pc sensibilities (Nothing to do with difficulty, as most of us moan about the low curve nomatter the platform).

Atleast that would be my notion, after having spent way too many hours on both throughout 25 years.

yanni1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 yanni1
Member since 2004 • 1067 Posts

Steam early access games still have better value/more content than the order lmao.

GioVela2010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 GioVela2010
Member since 2008 • 5566 Posts

Not really considering most PC gamers use shitty little LCD monitors with garbage contrast, black levels, color saturation, and motion resolution. With shitty speakers or built in stereo speakers too. Lol master race? More like peasant race

I'm the exception of course

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

@Jankarcop said:

@tormentos said:

http://store.steampowered.com/stats/

I see...

All I see is a list of games better than console shit.

That is because you are a blind fanboy,all i see is a list of old ass games..

commonfate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 commonfate
Member since 2010 • 13320 Posts
@funsohng said:

If they did, LoL wouldn't be the most popular thing on the system.

You've played League?

DefconRave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#61  Edited By DefconRave
Member since 2013 • 806 Posts

There's just a much greater variety and volume of games on pc so people are naturally more picky than on consoles.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#62 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

@playmynutz said:

@Jankarcop: PC has their dedicated developers, sure.

It would be nice to see console developers live up to the PC high standards, but they just don't.

True. The thing is even websites like PCGamer aren't cool anymore. You'll see them praising trash ports like Dark Souls all the time and call it "classic game" but will leave no opportunity to bash high profile PC game for silliest reasons. According to them, best "PC Game" ever is Mass Effect 2 (Facepalm). ME2 was my favorite game of last gen (PC or not) but it is not hard to see that ME series is made primarily for consoles with great PC ports.

Even Dark Souls was in their top 10 best PC games ever list and DA2 is awarded to have best combat. I blame lazy ports and casual gaming from last gen that have lowered the standards in gaming (PC included). Standards used to be a lot higher than what they are today. People complain about "dumbed down console" games yet when time comes to vote for best "PC Game" of the year, console centric games are voted by the crowd. Either that or you find a lot of people playing broken early access survival games. Still higher standards than consoles since dude bro shooters sell better on consoles but things are changed IMO.

DEadliNE-Zero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#63 DEadliNE-Zero0
Member since 2014 • 6607 Posts

stop making pc gamers look bad

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178883 Posts

Higher standards? I see a lot of begging for consoles games.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 Cloud_imperium

@Maddie_Larkin said:

I would say they have different standards.

Most Console games tend to be VERY formulaic, you might not know the story it tells, but you damn well almost always know exactly how it plays.

The most important Things seems to be initial impressions and a very well made game with fairly basic sontrol schemes and gameplay. You can see it from console games purchace habits.

I find that alot of PC gamers, look more into the game mechanics, and don't mind a less polished game as long as it offers something different, a new spin on something, new ideas and executions. In other Words They seem to find gameplay the most important aspect of all, by such a margin that there seems to be a disconnect from the two Groups if exclusively playing on one of the types of systems.

I think that is why we see such a devide in a game loke TLoU (a very good example to be honest) Execution, voice acting, setup and story are told really well, but placed untop of really simple and run-of-the-mill gameplay systems.

As oppsed to most PC centric games that might look great but really might not, where the act of playing is way more important, how the character moves, how many options and what options you have to your disposal.

A game like Divinity Original Sin might be a good example of this, or perhaps Endless Legend. A Whole lot of tweaking and usage of different systems, which carreis the game, the story is there to facilitage the gameplay, not the other way around like we often see on Console.

Ofcourse this only really seem to make sense if we look at exclusives, to see differences, as most of us play a ton of 3rd party games, which tend to strike a ballance between console and pc sensibilities (Nothing to do with difficulty, as most of us moan about the low curve nomatter the platform).

Atleast that would be my notion, after having spent way too many hours on both throughout 25 years.

A very good observation. Can't argue with that.

Roler42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 Roler42
Member since 2013 • 1067 Posts

@tormentos: You say it like it's a bad thing... Then again, console gamers treat their games like they are paper towels...

Anyway... I wouldn't say it's too much about higher standarrds since F2P and early access has been such a success with the deluge of garbage that has polluted the steam store lately

It's more because as PC gamers we have way more games to play, everyone is too busy playing their backlogs to even bother sticking with one game

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#67 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13672 Posts

"Why are console gamers pleased so easily?"

In terms of the way console gamers allow themselves to be treated, I don't think it is that they are easily pleased. I don't blame them either.

I think Playstation and Xbox owners have to deal with Sony and MS. These greedy bastards are masters at marketing and manipulating. But since the PC isn't owned by anyone, we don't have that, so we can see the BS better.

Avatar image for deactivated-5920bf77daa85
deactivated-5920bf77daa85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#68 deactivated-5920bf77daa85
Member since 2004 • 3270 Posts
@lostrib said:

@clr84651 said:

@lostrib said:

@clr84651 said:

They don't have higher standards. They have PC Brain. We have console brain. It's just a preference on what you like to play on. Nothing more!

dafuq does that mean?

It means we're fans of a console and PC players are fans of PCs.

what if they play on both?

I've tried unsuccessfully to point out that pretty much everyone that is on Gamespot owns and plays consoles. They assume because they can't afford PCs, PCs gamers can't afford consoles.

Given the garbage that has been posted in this thread, I would say the "console brain" is just an inferior version of the PC brain...that is never really used.

Also, they love cutscenes, but text and menus scare them.

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#70  Edited By ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

of course

unlike peasants i have standards

i only play quality games,no EA scams,no indie wanks,no ubisoft-activision-ea games(except games made by bioware)

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#71 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59400 Posts

Play Quake 2 then play a modern FPS designed for consoles; compare the level design.

anderswhk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By anderswhk
Member since 2014 • 129 Posts

I see a lot of people taking jabs at "early access" PC games. The thing with the concept behind early access, is that you basically pre-order, and at the same time gain access to internal alpha build testing, but most importantly, gives financial support to a team of developers that would otherwise have no way of funding.

The bad thing about early access is that people judge unfinished products, and players loose interest in it before it's even released. A good example is DayZ Standalone. Still has tons of players, me included, but a lot of people have simply been burned out playing it and it's not even out yet.

I enjoy early access games a lot, but I am picky about which i spend money on. Most of them are niche genres which big budget developers aren't taking a chance on.

dxmcat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 dxmcat
Member since 2007 • 3385 Posts

Its an undeniable fact that with each new gen, Consoles are becoming more like Gimped PCs.

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts

@commonfate said:
@funsohng said:

If they did, LoL wouldn't be the most popular thing on the system.

You've played League?

A bit. A while back.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#75 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59400 Posts

@anderswhk said:

I see a lot of people taking jabs at "early access" PC games. The thing with the concept behind early access, is that you basically pre-order, and at the same time gain access to internal alpha build testing, but most importantly, gives financial support to a team of developers that would otherwise have no way of funding.

Except that's now how it works.

It's an excuse to jack up the price for games already kickstarted and already sitting with publishers.

Back in ye old 90's days of pc gaming: sitting playing alpha's and beta's was the norm. Free.

You providing them, with a service.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#77  Edited By KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

Of course. Look at the Titanfall reviews. None of them mentioned server browsers for instance.
On the PC platform those things are the standard. Neither did they take into account the elevated price or bad lag compensation, because they were written for console gamers.
And CoD is a fracking overrated POS.
We have different standards for AAA games than for indie games, for early access, and innovative games.
(Non-Nintendo) Console games tend to be run of the mill AND trash. Closed, limited, expensive, bad online, bad community, slow support, bad performance, no redeeming qualities.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#79 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

@scottpsfan14 said:
@GarGx1 said:

All that early access crap you get on PC. You don't get that on consoles!

Loading Video...

Yeah as if that's the current standard of like every PC game. Not even close.

So what is the "current standard" of console games? If the crap that's been released on the new consoles to date is anything to go by, you can keep them.

I could have gone with any number of good indie games that out class most of the AAA console exclusives so far this generation. Without needing to go into bigger budget games.

nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#80  Edited By nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts

I think in general they probably do because there is such a huge backlog to compare with, you have discrete differences between the 360 and the Xbone but that is not the case on PC. In fact you can still readily play games from 15 years agon on PC means you have a bigger set of standards to compare it against.

I also think PC gaming has some technical standards that are harshly criticized if not included (controls, performance, interface etc)

CoD has been dead on PC for a while actually. Pretty much died with Ghosts. The franchise has a negative stigma on PC that will be super hard to rectify. Treyarch is certainly a chance to boost numbers higher than Advanced Warfare, but it will never by as big as it once was. PC gamers don't like Activision anymore.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

@tormentos said:

http://store.steampowered.com/stats/

I see...

is there a point there?

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@MBirdy88: it's el tormo, what do you think?

flashn00b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#83 flashn00b
Member since 2006 • 3949 Posts

I would imagine that the differences in graphical upgrades regarding Devil May Cry HD and Serious Sam HD are of some indication of standards difference.

Articuno76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#84  Edited By Articuno76
Member since 2004 • 19799 Posts

There's a difference between the samples. The term "PC gamer" is being used here to specifically refer to a smaller, hardcore crowd that's better informed than your average consumer. The only reason there appears to be more "informed" PC gamers is difficulty of entry: if you care enough to learn all the system building, troubleshooting ins-and-outs of the platform the chances are gaming matters enough to you to push through the hassle.

So no, PC gamers aren't more informed or have higher standards, they just don't absorb users who are less informed (less interested/passionate) to quite the extent console gaming does. You can see this through the proliferation of questionable DLC schemes that extend (and continue) even onto the PC. PC gamers often call this practice out as a console thing, but clearly they're buying it in droves (when you look at the mass market) or publishers would have dropped it by now.

What do you want to bet that those COD (or FIFA) players don't play much else other than that? They don't play those games because they own a console, they play on a console because they don't have the interest in videogames as a whole to invest (time and money) into PC gaming.

On the slight discrepancy in scores: The score differences are in a close enough range that the difference is honestly negligible. It also fails to factor in platform affinity of these releases, case in point: it's been a sticking point that DA:I doesn't feel right with the mouse, that's going to drag its evaluation down. Then there's also the history issue as what PC gamers want out of a game like Dragon Age isn't just reaching a particular quality bar, but recapturing some of the magic of very different games that are pretty much exclusive to the platform (old Bioware games).

Take a look at the review scores for a game poor game like Yaiba amongst console gamers were it got trashed. Now take a look at the same game on Steam which has considerably higher ratings. For many PC gamers the score they award a game isn't based on the quality of the game itself, but the quality of the porting. Reading across Steam you'll notice there's very little actual critical talk about the games themselves in reviews, but plenty on performance, suggesting that reaching performance competency is awarded proportionally higher than it is on consoles.

soulitane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 soulitane
Member since 2010 • 15091 Posts

Nope, just different tastes. If anything a lot of PC games have worse taste considering how many early access games sell and how bad a lot of them are.

clr84651

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 clr84651
Member since 2010 • 5643 Posts

@clr84651 said:

@OhSnapitz said:

@lostrib said:

@clr84651 said:

They don't have higher standards. They have PC Brain. We have console brain. It's just a preference on what you like to play on. Nothing more!

dafuq does that mean?

It means to each his/her own!

You are smart sir. I thought it was obvious.

Then they have a PC-console hybrid brain. LoL!

AM-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 AM-Gamer
Member since 2012 • 8116 Posts

Tell that to the countless kiddies on pc playing LoL.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts

Misclick, sorry. Carry on.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#89 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64040 Posts

Hell no, PC Plebs liked Half Life 2, that's the furthest thing from having standards.

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

If master race got higher standards why do PC gamers play games that look worse than consoles?

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By Cloud_imperium

@AM-Gamer said:

@aroxx_ab said:

If master race got higher standards why do PC gamers play games that look worse than consoles?

It's funny that you mentioned graphics. The type of games that you like depends on one's preference, so one can't say it for sure if PC games are better or the ones made for consoles, but it's a known fact that PC gets better looking games every gen (exclusives and multiplats). So why bother?

PsychoLemons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 PsychoLemons
Member since 2011 • 3183 Posts

Doesn't make them better people.

Truegamer021

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 Truegamer021
Member since 2015 • 25 Posts

@PsychoLemons said:

PC gamers are obviously better and more skilled. console gamers are bunch of pre teen kids and girls who play JRPGs.

now go back to barbie games cutie pie.

PsychoLemons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 PsychoLemons

@truegamer021 said:

@PsychoLemons said:

PC gamers are obviously better and more skilled. console gamers are bunch of pre teen kids and girls who play JRPGs.

Oh no, not you again.

/dull surprise

Truegamer021

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 Truegamer021
Member since 2015 • 25 Posts

@PsychoLemons said:

@truegamer021 said:

@PsychoLemons said:

Oh no, not you again.

/dull surprise

Did u missed me?

PsychoLemons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By PsychoLemons

@truegamer021 said:

@PsychoLemons said:

@truegamer021 said:

@PsychoLemons said:

Oh no, not you again.

/dull surprise

Did u missed me?

In a cosmic sort of way, yes.

melonfarmerz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 melonfarmerz
Member since 2014 • 1294 Posts

@AM-Gamer said:

This guy thinks LoL is a game for kiddies, while the biggest console games are COD and FIFA.

Clearly you've never tried a MOBA.

Dasein808

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By Dasein808
Member since 2008 • 839 Posts

In response to thread title:

"Yes."