Official Bioshock Review Discussion Thread - 9.0 (POST HERE OR BE SUSPENDED)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#101 BioShockOwnz
Member since 2006 • 52901 Posts
[QUOTE="inertk"]

I suppose this gives Halo 3 space to breath now, eh? Or ME. Or any other games releasing this fall.

But to think that Bishock is on the same level as PDZ is just disgusting *I know they aren't directly compared, and different times.... still*. The new review system ahm fail. ;(

Rockclmbr6

Wow, I didn't even realize this got the same score as PDZ. I didn't exactly hate that game, but I had more fun playing the Bioshock *DEMO* than I did with PDZ...

I guess this doesn't mean it isn't incredible though. They gave System Shock 2 an 8.5, and that is in GS's Greatest Games of All Time. It's still highly disappointing that it took GS longer than any other website to review the game, and you get a review that is simply filled with small nitpicks and a bug that apparently only affects Gamespot.

Standards tend to change over almost 2 years.

kevy619

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#102 kevy619
Member since 2004 • 5617 Posts

How did I know Jeff Gertsman was the reviewer as soon as I saw 9.0?

"Its weak link is its unsatisfying no-skill-required combat, which might aim this one just over the head of the average Halo fan"

what kind of statement is that?

tomarlyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#103 tomarlyn
Member since 2005 • 20148 Posts
Gah, I want this game but I told myself I'd wait until the new year before getting a 360 :(
thinicer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#104 thinicer
Member since 2006 • 3704 Posts

I agree with the review. The fact that you cannot die means winning it is just a question of time, not effort. You could concievably, if you had enough free time on your hands, kill a Big Daddy using just your wrench.

Also, the lack of a multiplayer component in this game really hurts the replayability value. Maybe the developers didn't have time though.

The game's strengths are its weapon combos, its sound, and the overall atmosphere and sense of immersion.

NickyJo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105 NickyJo
Member since 2007 • 184 Posts
So this is as good as PDZ :lol: give me a break Gamespot, your reviews have become a JOKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
eastside49er

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106 eastside49er
Member since 2002 • 19559 Posts
Surprising score. I thought it would get a 9.5 or 10. AAA none the less.
laus_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107 laus_basic
Member since 2002 • 8300 Posts

[QUOTE="TheOneMan"]Reading this review makes me wonder what MP3 will get here...furtherfan

could be a much higher score....

or it could be the much feared 8.5. Either way I'm getting it but with Gamespot, you can expect anything.

Avatar image for smokeydabear076
smokeydabear076

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#108 smokeydabear076
Member since 2004 • 22109 Posts

So, Ninja Gaiden Sigma (a touch up from a last gen game, mind you) is equally as good as Bioshock, an inventive FPS from the creators of System Shock?

System Shock 2 was under-rated here, and I guess Bioshock can be added to the list.

TrueReligion_
Yeah, the system shock curse remains. I was expecting something like this.
subrosian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#109 subrosian
Member since 2005 • 14232 Posts

"On some consoles, the game hitches up and totally freezes for anywhere from one to five seconds at a time, then proceeds as if nothing happened. It doesn't seem to be tied to any particularly noteworthy parts of the game, and it happened only after playing the game for hours; but once it started, it didn't stop happening--even after we began an all-new game--and it can freeze up two or three times a minute. It's not the end of the world, but it's extremely frustrating and one of the few knocks this game has against it."

I feel vindicated for betting on PC hardware to play this game - but I don't take the small sample of consoles they likely tested it on as fact - again, what's happening here? Does the game overheat 360s that don't have the heatsink on the GPU? Is it simply utilizing more of the system, and so some of the heat-related problems that already exist are surfacing? Or is this just a couple of bad 360s that, for some reason, have a bad interaction with the game?

I do somewhat agree with the "Death System" and "lack of enemy variety" sentiments - this was something I was worried about myself, but has anyone other than GS mentioned this "hitching" problem on the 360 version of the game?

rybe1025

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 rybe1025
Member since 2004 • 6362 Posts
Gamespot is slowly losing credibility IMO.Calo34
I agree.
Zor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 Zor
Member since 2002 • 3289 Posts

This thread is going to become hypocritical quick.

Lemmings on Jeff:

Gears of War 9.6! Yay Jeff!

Bioshock 9.0! Fire Jeff!

Stop complaining. It's still AAA and you will still buy the game. Stop with the biased garbage.

Finale-

And when he reviews Halo 3 (if he gives it a high score) he will become their best friend again.

limpbizkit818

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#112 limpbizkit818
Member since 2004 • 15044 Posts

So, Ninja Gaiden Sigma (a touch up from a last gen game, mind you) is equally as good as Bioshock, and inventive FPS from the creators of System Shock?TrueReligion_
Stop making these clams. Stop comparing different game types on different systems. BioShock was hyped AAA, it has recived AAA.

Stop complaining and have fun with the game. Go write your own review and give it AAAA if that makes you feel better.

Huxley_04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 Huxley_04
Member since 2007 • 138 Posts

Bleh.. Jeff Gives the worst reviews ever..

darklord888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 darklord888
Member since 2004 • 8382 Posts

How did I know Jeff Gertsman was the reviewer as soon as I saw 9.0?

"Its weak link is its unsatisfying no-skill-required combat, which might aim this one just over the head of the average Halo fan"

what kind of statement is that?

kevy619

Because blindly running forward holding X and chainsawing someone is total skill....
Tactis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 Tactis
Member since 2006 • 1568 Posts

I agree with the review. The fact that you cannot die means winning it is just a question of time, not effort. You could concievably, if you had enough free time on your hands, kill a Big Daddy using just your wrench.

Also, the lack of a multiplayer component in this game really hurts the replayability value. Maybe the developers didn't have time though.

The game's strengths are its weapon combos, its sound, and the overall atmosphere and sense of immersion.

thinicer

well sure you can but there is an upside to that, for instance you are free to experiment on how to kill big dadys with out fear of dieing and incurring a death penalty you dont have to worry so much about laying a trap and hacking the security system just to have all that effort gone to waste.

Bdking57

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 Bdking57
Member since 2005 • 1320 Posts
wow... this site has no credibility left seriously. The demo was gaming perfection... OMGZ nothing can eva top tony hawk 3.
numba1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#117 numba1234
Member since 2007 • 3561 Posts
There will be more low scores. I'm not really worried about gamespot scoring. I am expecting around a 9.2-9.3 average on gamerankings. It seems a little too high ranking right now (not deservingto be higher then half life 2). No one screamed that god of war 2 was underrated, when the first scores were all 10, and had a 97 average at gamerankings, and gamespot gave it a 9.2
Hadoken_Kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 Hadoken_Kid
Member since 2006 • 1770 Posts
first Wii now 360. PS3 is up next for letdown reviews by GS
kentlucky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 kentlucky
Member since 2003 • 354 Posts
I'm cancelling my preorder.
Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 Shinobishyguy
Member since 2006 • 22928 Posts
ooohh....owch. This game got Jeff'd
ironcreed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#121 ironcreed
Member since 2005 • 14195 Posts

Does this review not make you guys start to doubt Halo 3 getting AAA here? If that happens, then expect SW to:

The_PirateKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 The_PirateKing
Member since 2005 • 9714 Posts
~-~Hm, I haven't been this hyped for a game in a long time, but I bet I'll still agree with GS's review. GS has a tendency to admit what everybody else doesn't want to. (LoZ: TP anyone?) The death system is probably what's going to kill it for me. But they were probably right in doing it. It's much more casual safe now which means more sales for BioShock.~-~ ~-~PS: I'm talking bout games I'm interested. GTA being AAA is not something I would agree with.~-~
furtherfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 furtherfan
Member since 2007 • 3699 Posts
[QUOTE="furtherfan"]

[QUOTE="TheOneMan"]Reading this review makes me wonder what MP3 will get here...wmc540

There are only two options higher...

could be a much higher score....

There are only 2 options higher.

oh yeah... true.... i don't like the new scoring style...

Sir-Marwin105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 Sir-Marwin105
Member since 2007 • 3785 Posts
Second best scored game this year on the 360? Or is there another besides Forza?
FusionApex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 FusionApex
Member since 2006 • 1151 Posts
Hyped AAA, received AAA. Perhaps not a 9.5, but Casey said we don't really appreciate how much it takes to recieve AAAA, so we may not be that well informed.
blizzvalve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 blizzvalve
Member since 2007 • 14052 Posts
I was surprised it scored this low. I thought it would be a 9.5.
StephenHu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#127 StephenHu
Member since 2003 • 2852 Posts
It probably was 9.3 but was rounded to 9.0
Rockclmbr6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 Rockclmbr6
Member since 2004 • 3232 Posts
[QUOTE="Rockclmbr6"][QUOTE="inertk"]

I suppose this gives Halo 3 space to breath now, eh? Or ME. Or any other games releasing this fall.

But to think that Bishock is on the same level as PDZ is just disgusting *I know they aren't directly compared, and different times.... still*. The new review system ahm fail. ;(

BioShockOwnz

Wow, I didn't even realize this got the same score as PDZ. I didn't exactly hate that game, but I had more fun playing the Bioshock *DEMO* than I did with PDZ...

I guess this doesn't mean it isn't incredible though. They gave System Shock 2 an 8.5, and that is in GS's Greatest Games of All Time. It's still highly disappointing that it took GS longer than any other website to review the game, and you get a review that is simply filled with small nitpicks and a bug that apparently only affects Gamespot.

Standards tend to change over almost 2 years.

I get your point (even the one that is wondering why everyone is freaking out), but I'm justangry about the reviewrather than the score. The only really positive thing he said was that it was atmospheric and kind-of had a good story. When all the other reviews are talking about how open-ended the combat is, he says it is "unsatisfying no-skill required combat." Like others have said, if I read the review by itself, I would have expected the score to be 8.0.
wmc540

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 wmc540
Member since 2006 • 2620 Posts

I'm cancelling my preorder.kentlucky

Hopefully you are kidding...

sammeal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 sammeal
Member since 2002 • 25 Posts
No discussion of this freezing issue in any other reviews that I could find, so that really bothers me.  I'll wait to play the game myself, starting tomorrow, to see if this rating is truly accurate.
Verge_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 Verge_6
Member since 2007 • 20282 Posts
A whole point off for an as-of-yet-unheard-of glitch and a forgiving death system? Come on Jeff. Sometimes I think you're just wanting attention.
Hadoken_Kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 Hadoken_Kid
Member since 2006 • 1770 Posts

[QUOTE="TrueReligion_"]So, Ninja Gaiden Sigma (a touch up from a last gen game, mind you) is equally as good as Bioshock, and inventive FPS from the creators of System Shock?limpbizkit818

Stop making these clams. Stop comparing different game types on different systems. BioShock was hyped AAA, it has recived AAA.

Stop complaining and have fun with the game. Go write your own review and give it AAAA if that makes you feel better.

this is sytemwars either STFU or leave.

this game flopped by those standards even though it was hyped AAA it was hyped 9.5 or higher. and people compared it to OoT. still i will pick up my copy tommrorow. but this game floped in alot of systemwarnites minds

kevy619

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#134 kevy619
Member since 2004 • 5617 Posts

"On some consoles, the game hitches up and totally freezes for anywhere from one to five seconds at a time, then proceeds as if nothing happened. It doesn't seem to be tied to any particularly noteworthy parts of the game, and it happened only after playing the game for hours; but once it started, it didn't stop happening--even after we began an all-new game--and it can freeze up two or three times a minute. It's not the end of the world, but it's extremely frustrating and one of the few knocks this game has against it."

I feel vindicated for betting on PC hardware to play this game - but I don't take the small sample of consoles they likely tested it on as fact - again, what's happening here? Does the game overheat 360s that don't have the heatsink on the GPU? Is it simply utilizing more of the system, and so some of the heat-related problems that already exist are surfacing? Or is this just a couple of bad 360s that, for some reason, have a bad interaction with the game?

I do somewhat agree with the "Death System" and "lack of enemy variety" sentiments - this was something I was worried about myself, but has anyone other than GS mentioned this "hitching" problem on the 360 version of the game?

subrosian

Its because Jeff was playing it.

naval

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135 naval
Member since 2003 • 11108 Posts

No discussion of this freezing issue in any other reviews that I could find, so that really bothers me. I'll wait to play the game myself, starting tomorrow, to see if this rating is truly accurate.sammeal

i think this problem may be related to their 360

Avatar image for JohanJuurkenoph
JohanJuurkenoph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136 JohanJuurkenoph
Member since 2004 • 65 Posts
First they underscore Deus Ex, then System Shock 2 (2 of my favorite games of all time), and now Bioshock, a game (judging from the demo) that's near certain to be another favorite game of mine. *sigh* Guess this rules out Bioshock winning GOTY here.
tidus222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137 tidus222
Member since 2004 • 1452 Posts

Hyped AAA, received AAA. Perhaps not a 9.5, but Casey said we don't really appreciate how much it takes to recieve AAAA, so we may not be that well informed.FusionApex

tony hawk 3scored a 10.0

so caseys staement is completely bogus

BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138 BioShockOwnz
[QUOTE="limpbizkit818"]

[QUOTE="TrueReligion_"]So, Ninja Gaiden Sigma (a touch up from a last gen game, mind you) is equally as good as Bioshock, and inventive FPS from the creators of System Shock?Hadoken_Kid

this game flopped by those standards even though it was hyped AAA it was hyped 9.5 or higher. and people compared it to OoT. still i will pick up my copy tommrorow. but this game floped in alot of systemwarnites minds

Nope, you're wrong. It was hyped AAA and passed with flying colors.

kentlucky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139 kentlucky
Member since 2003 • 354 Posts

[QUOTE="kentlucky"]I'm cancelling my preorder.wmc540

lol, definitely. This hysteria around a 9.0 is silly.

Stryking_Fyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140 Stryking_Fyre
Member since 2005 • 1497 Posts

Gamespot officially fricking blows.... WHAT A HORRIBLE REVIEW.

Every other outlet has this game pegged as a 9.8 or a 9.9 and GS has it as a 9? What a pile of crap..... whatever, this is still the game of the year.

istreakforfood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#141 istreakforfood
Member since 2004 • 7781 Posts

I'm cancelling my preorder.kentlucky

im guessing you are being sarcastic. if not then hey its your choice. :)

reyad-u

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142 reyad-u
Member since 2006 • 6960 Posts
GS :| tsk tsk tsk. what a shame.
laughingman42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143 laughingman42
Member since 2007 • 8730 Posts
[QUOTE="limpbizkit818"]

[QUOTE="TrueReligion_"]So, Ninja Gaiden Sigma (a touch up from a last gen game, mind you) is equally as good as Bioshock, and inventive FPS from the creators of System Shock?Hadoken_Kid

I think the review flopped more than the game did.:? this seems to happen alot with jeff.

asdasd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144 asdasd
Member since 2005 • 4464 Posts

9.0?

WHAT THE **** JEFF?!!?

Stop smoking pot while reviewing

numba1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145 numba1234
Member since 2007 • 3561 Posts
There will be more low scores. I'm not really worried about gamespot scoring. I am expecting around a 9.2-9.3 average on gamerankings. It seems a little too high ranking right now (not deservingto be higher then half life 2). No one screamed that god of war 2 was underrated, when the first scores were all 10, and had a 97 average at gamerankings, and gamespot gave it a 9.2numba1234
Also to add to this comment, did everyone expect that ign giving it a 9.7, and gamespy, gamepro, and 1up giving it a 10 mean it was the greatest game ever. Several games have got better scores there (sotc, god of war, and god of war 2), and not all of them won goty.
BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146 BioShockOwnz
[QUOTE="wmc540"]

[QUOTE="kentlucky"]I'm cancelling my preorder.kentlucky

lol, definitely. This hysteria around a 9.0 is silly.

Haha, no doubt. I can't believe how mad people get when a game scores AAA.

Avatar image for deactivated-586249e1b64ba
deactivated-586249e1b64ba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147 deactivated-586249e1b64ba
Member since 2004 • 7629 Posts

Is it official that Gamespot underrates any game within the hybrid FPS genre?

I personally expected this to be an 8.5 at the beginning based solely on the fact that it was a hybrid FPS but as things went on, I was thinking 9.5 and maybe a 10 if the death system wasn't viewed as a problem.

Either way, I guess I got owned but hey, I'm definitely going to enjoy playing Bioshock from beginning to end.

I do wonder what it would get under the old review system though.

Edit: And if I see a single suicide thread over this, I'll declare that Bioshock getting9.0 was worse than Twilight Princess getting 8.8. It didn't flop so no need to get yourself banned!

darklord888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148 darklord888
Member since 2004 • 8382 Posts

[QUOTE="sammeal"]No discussion of this freezing issue in any other reviews that I could find, so that really bothers me. I'll wait to play the game myself, starting tomorrow, to see if this rating is truly accurate.naval

If so they need to change the score like they did with overlord when theywere giventhe beta version to review by mistake.
mwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149 mwa
Member since 2003 • 2639 Posts

Gears= 9.6, Bioshock= 9.0. its time for Jeff to find another job.erik_r

as harsh as that sounds, i'm beginning to agree with you

Harbadakus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150 Harbadakus
Member since 2005 • 5474 Posts

[QUOTE="sammeal"]No discussion of this freezing issue in any other reviews that I could find, so that really bothers me. I'll wait to play the game myself, starting tomorrow, to see if this rating is truly accurate.naval

I think so too, they should replay the game on a properly working 360 and bump up the score to 9.5. :) :P

Anywho... I was expecting 9.5 or more, and for the bet thread I said I'd redraw my sig in MS paint if it scored less than 9.5 ...so I'll get on to that now. :(