Official Bioshock Review Discussion Thread - 9.0 (POST HERE OR BE SUSPENDED)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

CaseyWegner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1301 CaseyWegner
Member since 2002 • 70114 Posts

[QUOTE="CaseyWegner"]lemmings, you've lost a lot of credibility tonight.Zeliard9

Not as much as Gamespot has, apparently.

nope. after the crap thrown at cows and sheep following the resistance and zelda reviews, they have just ****ing buried yourselves tonight. awesome job.

Kahuna_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1302 Kahuna_1
Member since 2006 • 7948 Posts

[QUOTE="CaseyWegner"]lemmings, you've lost a lot of credibility tonight.Zeliard9

Zelda TP, Shadow of the Colossus, and MGS3 not getting 9s is much worse than Bioshock not getting a 9.5...UNDERSTAND THAT THE GAME GOT A 9.0 MEANING IT IS GREAT!

Cube_of_MooN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#1303 Cube_of_MooN
Member since 2005 • 9286 Posts

lemmings, you've lost a lot of credibility tonight.CaseyWegner

Ha, good stab. So much for the perfect 10, eh?

Ninja-Vox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#1304 Ninja-Vox
Member since 2006 • 16314 Posts

Either way, I am going to be enjoying my stay in Rapture tomorrow...SpruceCaboose

You'll love it. :) Unlike other games which have a big opening, or a flashy ending with stuff in between, Bioshock just gets better and better from the minute you start. It's my game of the year so far, at least.

SergeantSnitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1305 SergeantSnitch
Member since 2007 • 3692 Posts
[QUOTE="SergeantSnitch"][QUOTE="Ninja-Vox"]

Does the world agree that Jeff seems to have messed up an awful lot of reviews? I could be wrong but there's:

Gears of War - most think he was far too generous. AAA yes. 9.6 no.

Twilight Princess - maybe not epic game of the year like we'd hoped but 8.8? What?

BioShock - universally perfect 10, 9.7, 9.8 - oh but then BAM, jeff takes it right down to 9.0

Why is this guy allowed to review games? How many more does he want to mess up?

trix5817

Don't forget WarioWare: Smooth Moves. 9.1? ROFL, sorry but Zelda is a lot better than some mini-games.

Yeah, I don't know how this guy still has a job here. Him and Jason Ocampo. I don't care about the score, it's the actual review that annoyed me. It was very poorly written, especially for a huge game like BioShock. A two page review for a game that is extremely hyped and has recieved amazing reviews across the boards? Come on now.....

Agreed, Jeff has been known to give great games bad scores. This is the same guy who gave MGS on PSX an 8.5... I honestly don't see how people are getting so worked up about his review, I never take his word for anything.
Tactis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#1306 Tactis
Member since 2006 • 1568 Posts

please not as much as gamespot has..

Yellow_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1307 Yellow_Rose
Member since 2002 • 16739 Posts

So disappointing. :(

Reyes360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1308 Reyes360
Member since 2007 • 2866 Posts

Another poorly written review by Gamespot when compared to alot of the reviews I have read over the last week for Bioshock. Once again Gamespot is late to the party and then puts up a poorly written and lame review. Congrats Gamespot on another MEH review,Danthegamingman

as much as I love this website the review system stinks, its always late, and I dont know if reviewers have agendas here. Anyway, ill go with IGN and gamereviewers for now on.

remaGloohcSdlO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1309 remaGloohcSdlO
Member since 2005 • 4152 Posts
For everyone that is stark raving mad... let me post the description of 9.0-9.5 directly from Gamespot's "About our review system" page: 9.0-9.5: Superb We absolutely recommend any game in this range, especially to fans of that particular genre. However, games that score in the 9 range are also typically well suited to new players. Games that earn 9s are naturally uncommon, and earn GameSpot's Editors' Choice Award for their outstanding quality. I even underlined a few things for you... if something of this quality was said about something you made, wouldn't you be HAPPY?
CaseyWegner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1310 CaseyWegner

[QUOTE="CaseyWegner"]lemmings, you've lost a lot of credibility tonight.Tactis

:cry: they gave a AAA hyped game a AAA score. :cry:

Forza_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1311 Forza_2
Member since 2007 • 3083 Posts
I'm not saying Jeff is "wrong" in this review. I've said that dozens of times. My complain is that he seems to create a crapstorm of people disagreeing with him every time he reviews a game and in that sense he fails as a reviewer and shouldn't be allowed to keep reviewing major games like this, whereby every time he does you get so many people saying he's messed up completely and got it all wrong.

Ninja-Vox

Yes, you did say he's wrong.

"So no, he's not wrong because i dont agree with him. He's wrong because loads and loads of people dont agree with him. He's got a crapstorm of people who think he messed it up; AGAIN."

"My only complaint is that Jeff, more than any reviewer on any other site, seems to mess things up at a far greater rate than is acceptable."

So, you're saying he messes things up because fanboys complain a lot about his review compared to other sites ? How about this.

Why doesn't GameSpot just wait for all the reviews on GameRankings to be done and then copy the average score ? What upsets you about Jeff is that he messes up (God knows what you mean by that) on his reviews and people complain about it, correct ?

SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#1312 SpruceCaboose
Member since 2005 • 24589 Posts
[QUOTE="Zeliard9"]

[QUOTE="CaseyWegner"]lemmings, you've lost a lot of credibility tonight.CaseyWegner

nope. after the crap thrown at cows and sheep following the resistance and zelda reviews, you have just ****ing buried yourselves tonight. awesome job.

No group of fanboys has credibility to lose though. Everyone knew that this was lose-lose. Anything less than 9.5 and lemmings would lose their **** about how it was mis-judged. 9.5 or 10, and the game is instantly "over-rated" by cows and sheep.

white_sox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#1313 white_sox
Member since 2006 • 17442 Posts
If you have any doubts about BioShock, just watch the Video Review. It really shows how much Jeff loved BioShock.Bansheesdie
I couldn't find it....where's it hiding?
Avatar image for organic_machine
organic_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#1314 organic_machine
Member since 2004 • 10141 Posts

I am going to play it in the PC either way, on a side note what are the FPS that requiere skill to play? I would like to have something to compare with when it comes to skill.85070537783

tthere is a single player mod for Half Life 2 that makes everything insanely difficult and adds bullet time for good measure, i think its called SMOD. regardless, it is the hardest thing I have ever played.

123Dan123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#1315 123Dan123
Member since 2003 • 14078 Posts

Agreed. They are overreacting. However, what if the game Jeff reviewed was a faulty game? Because I see other reviews not pointing out the same issues Jeff seemed to experience. Maybe it's another "Overlord" all over again and they'll have to go out and buy the game from a store, and re-review it. You never know!

However, I think no lemming should be complaing about a 9.0.
PhoebusFlows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1317 PhoebusFlows
Member since 2007 • 2050 Posts
To those reading this thinking it's sad they are arguing over a 9.0, I agree. I am a lemming but dont include me in this group of complainers
Bansheesdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1318 Bansheesdie
Member since 2004 • 15057 Posts

[QUOTE="Bansheesdie"]If you have any doubts about BioShock, just watch the Video Review. It really shows how much Jeff loved BioShock.white_sox

http://www.gamespot.com/video/931329/6176970/bioshock-video-review-1 The first thing Jeff says is that he loves BioShock. The FIRST. THING!!

MADVLAD123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#1320 MADVLAD123
Member since 2005 • 6053 Posts
Casey there are about 1317 posts. I say you should lock it as soon as it hits 1337 posts. 8). How cool would that be?
Mordred19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1321 Mordred19
Member since 2007 • 8259 Posts

[QUOTE="SpruceCaboose"]Either way, I am going to be enjoying my stay in Rapture tomorrow...Ninja-Vox

You'll love it. :) Unlike other games which have a big opening, or a flashy ending with stuff in between, Bioshock just gets better and better from the minute you start. It's my game of the year so far, at least.

yeah, but there's no challenge. how will it be truly satisfying, when using sloppy tactics with no thought can be employed to beat the game?

CaseyWegner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1322 CaseyWegner

[QUOTE="CaseyWegner"]lemmings, you've lost a lot of credibility tonight.123Dan123

Agreed. They are overreacting. However, what if the game Jeff reviewed was a faulty game? Because I see other reviews not pointing out the same issues Jeff seemed to experience. Maybe it's another "Overlord" all over again and they'll have to go out and buy the game from a store. And re-review it. You never know!

it's one thing to complain about the "glitch" but what they are doing goes far beyond that.

Bansheesdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1324 Bansheesdie

[QUOTE="white_sox"][QUOTE="Bansheesdie"]If you have any doubts about BioShock, just watch the Video Review. It really shows how much Jeff loved BioShock.remaGloohcSdlO

I can't find it either... link please?

http://www.gamespot.com/video/931329/6176970/bioshock-video-review-1

Tactis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#1325 Tactis
Member since 2006 • 1568 Posts
[QUOTE="Tactis"]

[QUOTE="CaseyWegner"]lemmings, you've lost a lot of credibility tonight.CaseyWegner

as a said earlier there are some games where a 9.0 is too low i believe this game is one of them, many will disagree and thats fine.

it should have gotten a 9.5 it seems like he complained about issues not seen in any other review like the glitch, thats a legitimate cause for us to be complain about.

Reyes360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1326 Reyes360

[QUOTE="white_sox"][QUOTE="Bansheesdie"]If you have any doubts about BioShock, just watch the Video Review. It really shows how much Jeff loved BioShock.Bansheesdie

http://www.gamespot.com/video/931329/6176970/bioshock-video-review-1 The first thing Jeff says is that he loves BioShock. The FIRST. THING!!

does the video review show this hitch that he is complaining about that none of the numerous other reviews complained of? Just wanted to know?

-Sora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1327 -Sora
Member since 2004 • 15152 Posts

[QUOTE="Bansheesdie"]If you have any doubts about BioShock, just watch the Video Review. It really shows how much Jeff loved BioShock.white_sox

i couldnt either

Reyes360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1328 Reyes360
[QUOTE="CaseyWegner"][QUOTE="Tactis"]

as a said earlier there are some games where a 9.0 is too low i believe this game is one of them, many will disagree and thats fine.

it should have gotten a 9.5 it seems like he complained about issues not seen in any other review like the glitch, thats a legitimate cause for us to be complain about.

well said.

CaseyWegner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1329 CaseyWegner

complaining about the "glitch" is one thing. what's going on here in general is disgusting.

Dualshockin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1330 Dualshockin
Member since 2006 • 7826 Posts
[QUOTE="remaGloohcSdlO"] I PM'ed you my email... if you feel like it, you can email it to me, as I have never witnessed one in all the years I've been on here. If you do, thanks! If you don't, no problem.

Check your mail ;)
Bansheesdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1331 Bansheesdie

Everyone needs to watch the video review, it really shows how elite BioShock is. Jeff just cannot say enough good about this title.

Bansheesdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1332 Bansheesdie

does the video review show this hitch that he is complaining about that none of the numerous other reviews complained of? Just wanted to know?Reyes360

No, the only two things Jeff says that are negative about BioShock is that its too linear and its weapons don't feel right. Basically the gameplay isn't up to the extremely high lvl the rest of the game is at.

123Dan123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#1333 123Dan123
Member since 2003 • 14078 Posts
[QUOTE="123Dan123"]

Agreed. They are overreacting. However, what if the game Jeff reviewed was a faulty game? Because I see other reviews not pointing out the same issues Jeff seemed to experience. Maybe it's another "Overlord" all over again and they'll have to go out and buy the game from a store. And re-review it. You never know!

it's one thing to complain about the "glitch" but what they are doing goes far beyond that.

Yeah, I agree. Anyways I'll be picking this up tomorrow. Should be lots of fun :D

Lemmings give it up!

Kahuna_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1334 Kahuna_1

Everyone needs to watch the video review, it really shows how elite BioShock is. Jeff just cannot say enough good about this title.

Bansheesdie

They care more about the number.

Wanderer5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1335 Wanderer5
Member since 2006 • 25727 Posts

9 is too low? 9 is a very good score. It AAA and the game get editor's choice.

Ninja-Vox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1337 Ninja-Vox
[QUOTE="Ninja-Vox"]I'm not saying Jeff is "wrong" in this review. I've said that dozens of times. My complain is that he seems to create a crapstorm of people disagreeing with him every time he reviews a game and in that sense he fails as a reviewer and shouldn't be allowed to keep reviewing major games like this, whereby every time he does you get so many people saying he's messed up completely and got it all wrong.

Forza_2

Yes, you did say he's wrong.

"So no, he's not wrong because i dont agree with him. He's wrong because loads and loads of people dont agree with him. He's got a crapstorm of people who think he messed it up; AGAIN."

"My only complaint is that Jeff, more than any reviewer on any other site, seems to mess things up at a far greater rate than is acceptable."

So, you're saying he messes things up because fanboys complain a lot about his review compared to other sites ? How about this.

Why doesn't GameSpot just wait for all the reviews on GameRankings to be done and then copy the average score ? What upsets you about Jeff is that he messes up (God knows what you mean by that) on his reviews and people complain about it, correct ?

I've had two PMs and three posts from people asking me why i'm even bothering to respond to you. And i agree. I've asked you four times now to explain what your opinion is. Tell me your take, if mine is so wrong. And you never do. You just pick at my posts because *GOD FORBID* i think the review is sub-par and you dont.

Hang me up to dry right now why dont you. :roll:

I've explained this so many times; nothing "upsets" me. I've said numerous times that BioShock is awesome and people should stop whining about a 9.0 - try reading the posts you're so determined to shoot down.

I am bothered, simply, by Jeff. Whenever you get a cascade of people complaining about a score, it's always a Jeff score. And like i said earlier, you need to stop whining about scores and read the actual review. The complaint here isn't just a number, it's the fact that his review is brief, poorly written and fails to point out the plethora of great things about BioShock that everyone else is quick to recommend about it.

My point, overall, is that Jeff messes up - which is easy to understand amigo - more than anyone else. Whenever a review is posted, you have fanboys claiming ownage. Fanboys rejoicing. Fanboys going on about how many AAAs they have. Whenever a Jeff review is posted...

"Twilight Princess gets an 8.8!? WHAT!?"

"WarioWare is a AAA title? Is this guy crazy!?"

"Tony Hawk's is a perfect 10!? EH!?"

"BioShock is a 9.0, but the freakin' Darkness is an 8.5!? GEARS is a 9.6, and BIOSHOCK is a 9!?"

He messes up a lot. Simple as that. Every time he writes a review for a major game, a crapstorm ensues. Thus is my complaint. Why can he never seem to get it right?

If you disagree, feel free to explain your take. If not, i'm ignoring you from here on out.

Bansheesdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1338 Bansheesdie
[QUOTE="Bansheesdie"]

Kahuna_1

They care more about the number.

Its pathetic what fanboys did to BioShock and its excellent review. Jeff makes it seem that BioShock is defiantly the best game of the year.

Ninja-Vox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1339 Ninja-Vox

yeah, but there's no challenge. how will it be truly satisfying, when using sloppy tactics with no thought can be employed to beat the game?

Mordred19

You can turn any game down to easy and beat it. :) It's far more enjoyable to crank up the difficulty and use tactics though, dont you think? While i agree that using an elaborate trap with plasmids and tonics being just as effective as whacking an enemy with a wrench is somewhat silly, it's far more satisfying to have a genius trap work out and take all your enemies down than just run in and mash the trigger.

I think so, at least.

remaGloohcSdlO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1340 remaGloohcSdlO
[QUOTE="Dualshockin"][QUOTE="remaGloohcSdlO"] I PM'ed you my email... if you feel like it, you can email it to me, as I have never witnessed one in all the years I've been on here. If you do, thanks! If you don't, no problem.

Check your mail ;)

Thanks bro!
Ninja-Vox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1341 Ninja-Vox

I'd recommend people watch the video review. If you found the write-up too negetive and brief, watch the video. It's like the other half of the story, if you will. :P

seabiscuit8686

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1342 seabiscuit8686
Member since 2005 • 2862 Posts

These are Gamespot forums, but going by a single review (especially by a reviewer with such up and down swings) is rediculous. Any of you that are complaining, well maybe you should just stop. Go look at the IGN and EVERY OTHER REVIEW! They all say 9.5+. So you should give zero credibility to this score. In physics (and other sciences), you often throw out the highest and lowest scores as they are generally due to error...and this is the same in this case. 97% on Gamerankings, and if you get rid of this and a 10, it is about exactly that.

Quit complaining about one review. We all knew one would do this.

My only problem with it is that fact that TLZ:OoT is the best game on Gamerankings, and with this one review, Jeff may have ensured that it stayed that way...seems like Gamerankings is flawed and should throw out top and bottom scores.

ObiFett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1343 ObiFett
Member since 2004 • 735 Posts

Just thought I would bring up one thing no one has pointed out yet:

If this so called glitch was software related, it would happen at certain points in the game or at random times. However, in the review, Jeff said it would only happen after playing the game for a long amount of time. To me that points toward hardware...

Yellow_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1344 Yellow_Rose
Member since 2002 • 16739 Posts

Damn near 70 pages of pissin' and moanin' from who should not be pissin and moanin. :roll:

I've said it before and I'll say it again, some of you can't possible actually play games. Not the way you act. I think you just come here and act like posers because you have nothing better to do.

Bioshock got a 9.0. AAA. Instead of being happy little xbox 360 fanboy kids who can brag about yet another reason why the 360 is "teh awesome", you get on the period about the score "not being teh higher and not stroking teh ego".

Some of you need to step away from your PC, go outside, and realize it's just a score.

CaseyWegner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1345 CaseyWegner
i will turn this car around right now, mister! pipe down!
set101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1346 set101
Member since 2005 • 452 Posts

Nice job narrowly avoiding a flop lemmings. :lol:

OhhSnap50893

Stop being bitter...

It could only have scored 9.0 or 9.5 with the new system anyway, so how is 9.0 a flop?

Kahuna_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1347 Kahuna_1
Everyone ignored my post about how Video Game Talk gave the game a 9.0...it is not only GS now.
remaGloohcSdlO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1348 remaGloohcSdlO

Bansheesdie
It is quite funny to hear jeff GUSH about the awesomeness of this game, which LITERALLY left him speechless... and then come in here to see all this. The only thing I will "back up" is that if there was a "glitch" on his 360, and he took points away for it, then that sucks... but everything else I can live with.
white_sox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#1349 white_sox
Member since 2006 • 17442 Posts

[QUOTE="white_sox"][QUOTE="Bansheesdie"]If you have any doubts about BioShock, just watch the Video Review. It really shows how much Jeff loved BioShock.Bansheesdie

Thanks for the link, great video review(imo).