Official Bioshock Review Discussion Thread - 9.0 (POST HERE OR BE SUSPENDED)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Zeliard9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1101 Zeliard9
Member since 2007 • 6030 Posts
Who would you take more seriously, a reviewer who writes stuff like "The bouncer has a huge drill arm that is used to, you know, drill into people." Or one that writes stuff like "These lumbering galoots, jealously stomp through the puddles on an inexplicable mission to guard syringe-wielding pre-pubescent girls known as 'Little Sisters'. Decked out in a rusting diving suit and uttering low scowls of discontent, they're not the kind of opponents that offer a fair fight."
ApocalypseXIVV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#1102 ApocalypseXIVV
Member since 2004 • 1988 Posts
[QUOTE="ApocalypseXIVV"]

I have to admit im really just not suprised at all with the Score. Im just glad he didnt put it into AA. I mean anyone who takes Jeff's reviews for games at this point is crazy. I know 9 is a great score, i know its his opinion. But in order to put something into the bad catagory he talked about a glitch that no other review or person who got the game early mentioned. Isnt that a little strange?

Its a shame that a game most people have talked about as a game that sets the standards for storytelling, and a game that stands above the rest...wont stand above the rest on this site.

Casey and everyone can make all the excuses in the world for how ridiculous it is to get mad at a game that scored AAA, but when the average score was 98%, and it gets a 9 here, you just can argue with the stats, and that shows Jeff is the odd one out...not us

Reyes360

ah when you are confined to a dumb rating system of .5 incriments you dont have much room. Id accept a 9.2 score for the game I wouldnt be happy but I would accept it. 9.0 is too low. Maybe they should go to a 2.5 system?

or they could be real innovated and use a .1 incriment system...bet ppl would love that...

O_OdazX_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1103 O_OdazX_X
Member since 2007 • 658 Posts

Man, I'd love to keep following this thread but 4AMs my bedtime, Just wanna leave by saying this.

Do you think that after seing all the hype surrounding the game from other sources, he got his hopes up for a perfect game? Thus, when he sees flaws in this supposedly perfect game they get to him. This causes him to rate down from 10 rather than up from 1 and by doing this he is just letting the gaming community know that the game isn't quite as perfect as people want it to be, don't get your hopes too high for fear of major disappointment when it isn't quite to your taste (hence his little comment on Halo fans at the end).

Not well written I know but my two cents are worth just as much as yours.

Reyes360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1104 Reyes360
Member since 2007 • 2866 Posts
[QUOTE="Reyes360"][QUOTE="ApocalypseXIVV"]

I have to admit im really just not suprised at all with the Score. Im just glad he didnt put it into AA. I mean anyone who takes Jeff's reviews for games at this point is crazy. I know 9 is a great score, i know its his opinion. But in order to put something into the bad catagory he talked about a glitch that no other review or person who got the game early mentioned. Isnt that a little strange?

Its a shame that a game most people have talked about as a game that sets the standards for storytelling, and a game that stands above the rest...wont stand above the rest on this site.

Casey and everyone can make all the excuses in the world for how ridiculous it is to get mad at a game that scored AAA, but when the average score was 98%, and it gets a 9 here, you just can argue with the stats, and that shows Jeff is the odd one out...not us

ApocalypseXIVV

ah when you are confined to a dumb rating system of .5 incriments you dont have much room. Id accept a 9.2 score for the game I wouldnt be happy but I would accept it. 9.0 is too low. Maybe they should go to a 2.5 system?

or they could be real innovated and use a .1 incriment system...bet ppl would love that...

dont know why they changed it. Sometimes people just wanna mess up good things they have going.

CaseyWegner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1105 CaseyWegner
Member since 2002 • 70114 Posts
[QUOTE="CaseyWegner"]

remember all the threads made about bioshock coming to the ps3? :)

Dualshockin

What about the ones for Metal Gear Solid 4? If someone just saw the threads in SW he would believe it was a 360 exclusive.

i didn't see any cows making threads saying that mgs4 would go to the 360.

Avatar image for insanewolfninja
insanewolfninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#1106 insanewolfninja
Member since 2005 • 4919 Posts
[QUOTE="CaseyWegner"][QUOTE="MikeE21286"]

So Jeff.......(I wish he was reading this).....Serious question here....

The Darkness - 8.5

Bioshock - 9.0

Uh......WTF happened there??? You're telling me Bioshock is just 1 review notch above The Darkness.....c'mon. Really?

Seriously, it's completely ridiculous.

MikeE21286

have you played both?

I played both demos all the way through.....The Darkness was almost completely retarded (sorry for those who liked it). Those little demons or whatever you control, uh yeah, that had to be the absolute worst control system I've played in a video game since I can't remember. And I have the entire gaming community backing me up here on the scores

Bioshock 9.7

Darkness 8.3

- Jeff is just plain and simple a terrible reviewer. And Gamespot has just been low-balling the big name games ever since Zelda TP came out. It's pretty ridiculous

once you said I played both demoes I lost all cedibilty wat little I had in your bleak intelligence of games, if you really think that a demo makes 80 percent of a game boy go playe with yugio cards are soemthing cause you dont even know what your talking about.

Forza_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1107 Forza_2
Member since 2007 • 3083 Posts
Ever heard of NeoGaf? Pointless Waste of Time.com? SomethingAwful? There are threads with each game, and reviews from all sites are posted as they come in, and are discussed. Jeff's review is being ripped apart at NeoGaf as we speak.

My comment wasn't silly. If anything, the two posts you've made claiming i'm wrong without a shred of back up whatsoever are what i'd call silly.

:|

Ninja-Vox

Can you stop dancing around my question and answer it ? Have you ever seen a Famitsu review in your life ? If you did, you would have known Jeff is that not bad, actually...

laulaulaulau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1108 laulaulaulau
Member since 2006 • 42 Posts
thought it'll be AAAA.oh well.
MADVLAD123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#1109 MADVLAD123
Member since 2005 • 6053 Posts
I'm kinda angry at how most people here are attacking jeff personally instead of attacking his reviews. I mean I hate all these fat jokes and insults. I like Jeff's spunkyness.
Ninja-Vox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#1110 Ninja-Vox
Member since 2006 • 16314 Posts

You know what makes me sad... if Jeff would have given it a 9.5, there would STILL be whiners saying it should have gotten a 10. Not as many as now, but there would be some. Also, if Jeff would have given it a 10.0, there would be just as many whiners as now, but it would be cows and sheep claiming "Jeff is teh biased", or "It would have been a 9.7 with the OLD system... there is no way it's really a 10". God I love System Wars... **pops more popcorn, in for a long night**remaGloohcSdlO

You're never going to get unanimous agreement with a review. Ever. What you want to do is minimise the number of people disagreeing with you however. As a reviewer, it's pretty much your job to give a good, logical opinion on a product to let other people know if it's worth spending their money on. If you have a storm of people saying you've got it horribly wrong when you write a review, you've failed to some degree.

That's just the way it is. It's sad that some people would consider 9.5 too low a score; i think that's rediculous. But i'd agree that 9.0 IS too low a score. Simply because he's listed several complaints which dont come up in any other review, and the general consensus seems to be game of the year, amazing game. I dont understand why it's so different for Jeff; or why it ALWAYS seems to be so different for Jeff. :P

Mordred19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1111 Mordred19
Member since 2007 • 8259 Posts

I'm actually kind of mad. So I really won't be rewarded for playing smart over playing dumb? How is that fun, knowing that I never need to worry about tactics at all, and could just coast through the game?

Why couldn't the game have been at leastsomewhat challenging? Doesn't Irrational know that as long as you can come back to life with all your progress intact and full inventory, it won'tbe satisfying to play? Was System Shock 2 an easy game as well, or was it challenging?

Avatar image for organic_machine
organic_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1112 organic_machine
Member since 2004 • 10141 Posts

If Jeff reviews Halo 3, watch out. He seemed to like Bioshock a lot. With Halo 3 he said "It's more Halo."

borgmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#1113 borgmaster
Member since 2005 • 2225 Posts

maybe bioshock sucks and he was just being nice:P

*readies +100 flame shield and puts on 6000 spf sunscreen*

Tactis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1114 Tactis
Member since 2006 • 1568 Posts

Man, I'd love to keep following this thread but 4AMs my bedtime, Just wanna leave by saying this.

Do you think that after seing all the hype surrounding the game from other sources, he got his hopes up for a perfect game? Thus, when he sees flaws in this supposedly perfect game they get to him. This causes him to rate down from 10 rather than up from 1 and by doing this he is just letting the gaming community know that the game isn't quite as perfect as people want it to be, don't get your hopes too high for fear of major disappointment when it isn't quite to your taste (hence his little comment on Halo fans at the end).

O_OdazX_X

so you are saying he read other reviews and then played the game, reviewed for this site and just glanced over the fact that no other review site talked about a graphical glitch? na i don't think he really read any other reviews at all or at least not in-depth.

Zeliard9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1115 Zeliard9
Member since 2007 • 6030 Posts

O_OdazX_X

IGN AU did that exact same thing, reviewed the game based on the huge hype it had recently generated and also based on the other stellar reviews. So they reviewed it with a negative eye and basically admitted so in the review. They came to the conclusion that it wasn't revolutionary like some others had made it out to be, but was still one of the best games in years. And guess what they gave it? A 9.5. ;)

CaseyWegner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1116 CaseyWegner

Casey, the last thing you want on your hands is a mob of lemmings thinking they're on a higher level than cows and sheep. Careful what you wish for... :PNinja-Vox

well, if they would have kept their mouths shut and accepted the review, they would have been on a higher level.

Eddie-Vedder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1117 Eddie-Vedder
Member since 2003 • 7810 Posts
I was going to say gratz lems on your new AAA, but with all the racket lol I´m going to have to say FLOP! Sry dudes, you made me lol. Be happy you get good game, grow up.
Swiftie101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1118 Swiftie101
Member since 2007 • 514 Posts
Although the review itself is a letdown, 9.0 is not a bad score at all. We should just be glad that the 360 has another AAA in the bag and move on with life. I will still be picking up the game tomorrow and have fun with it. As for GOTY, I think this game never really had a chance with other titles such as Mass Effect.
Tactis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1119 Tactis

If Jeff reviews Halo 3, watch out. He seemed to like Bioshock a lot. With Halo 3 he said "It's more Halo."

organic_machine

i know as i was reading his review i was like.. this is a 9? i would hate to see how much negative stuffhe is going toput in 8s and 7s from now on...

MikeMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#1120 MikeMoose
Member since 2005 • 3079 Posts
Whoa Tony Hawk 3 must be way better than Bioshock. Same With Mario Kart DS and Yoshi's Island Ds. Man i better check them out, i mean come on they're better than bioshock according to GS!
osirisomeomi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1121 osirisomeomi
Member since 2007 • 3100 Posts

Well if there is actually a game-crashing bug happening, that's not good. I read the review, and the positives were good for this game. It got AAA status, an EC award, and lots of amazing good things to say about the game. If the shooting mechanics were sub-par and the lack of death penalty kills the game's challenge, then those are fair criticisms. Overall a very good review and an excellent game from the sound of it.

Also note that the score can be 9.2, 9.3, or 9.4, even. It just is either 9.0 or 9.5, nowhere between.

Ninja-Vox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1122 Ninja-Vox
[QUOTE="Ninja-Vox"]Ever heard of NeoGaf? Pointless Waste of Time.com? SomethingAwful? There are threads with each game, and reviews from all sites are posted as they come in, and are discussed. Jeff's review is being ripped apart at NeoGaf as we speak.

My comment wasn't silly. If anything, the two posts you've made claiming i'm wrong without a shred of back up whatsoever are what i'd call silly.

Forza_2

Can you stop dancing around my question and answer it ? Have you ever seen a Famitsu review in your life ? If you did, you would have known Jeff is that not bad, actually...

How did i dance around your question? :lol:

You asked me how many reviewers i keep track off; i explained to you that i'm a member of three sites ALL of which have one thread devoted to a game, and every review is posted and discussed. Therefore, i read and talk about ALL of the major reviews for major games, mostly on NeoGaf and pointlesswasteoftime.

How is that dancing around the question? Is that not as close to a straight answer as it gets? :? And out of IGN, Gamespy and heck even EDGE, nobody creates this much controversy every time they review a major game. Jeff seems to have a tendency to get it wrong. This isn't the first time; heck it's not even the first time in one year.

And i'm familiar with Famitsu; they gave higher scores to N3, Blue Dragon, Trusty Bell - heck if anything they're more generous, but that's somewhat of a silly comparison if you dont mind me saying. Japanese tastes differ to our own.

plat1num913

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1124 plat1num913
Member since 2006 • 603 Posts
If the pc version scores higher all hell is breaking loose. I wouldnt be surprised if there would be a mob outside of gamspot.
Killfox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1125 Killfox
Member since 2004 • 6666 Posts

Ive said it before and Ill say it again. This site is losing credibility fast. Anyone agree with me???

(This is not an attack on the reviewer but the site as a hole)

Ninja-Vox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1126 Ninja-Vox

[QUOTE="Ninja-Vox"]Casey, the last thing you want on your hands is a mob of lemmings thinking they're on a higher level than cows and sheep. Careful what you wish for... :PCaseyWegner

well, if they would have kept their mouths shut and accepted the review, they would have been on a higher level.

I dont think i'm bothered about this review. It's the track record which bothers me. The fact that Jeff seems to create a lot of general annoyance whenever he reviews the big games.

Dualshockin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1127 Dualshockin
Member since 2006 • 7826 Posts
[QUOTE="Dualshockin"][QUOTE="CaseyWegner"]

CaseyWegner

What about the ones for Metal Gear Solid 4? If someone just saw the threads in SW he would believe it was a 360 exclusive.

I saw quite a lot of Microsoft fans claiming it,ironically,it is the same ones that were stating-when we said Bioshock will eventually come to the Ps3- "Cows alwayz want our games LMAO!". Hypocritical,wouldn't you say.
Reyes360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1128 Reyes360

[QUOTE="Ninja-Vox"]Casey, the last thing you want on your hands is a mob of lemmings thinking they're on a higher level than cows and sheep. Careful what you wish for... :PCaseyWegner

yeah and if the blacks sat at the back of the bus and didnt complain the world would be a better place as well? I respectfully disagree. This review was a injustice.

borgmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1129 borgmaster

borgmaster

people have stopped paying attention to me, eh?

*throws down flame shield and starts sulking*

remaGloohcSdlO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1130 remaGloohcSdlO
Member since 2005 • 4152 Posts

[QUOTE="remaGloohcSdlO"]You know what makes me sad... if Jeff would have given it a 9.5, there would STILL be whiners saying it should have gotten a 10. Not as many as now, but there would be some. Also, if Jeff would have given it a 10.0, there would be just as many whiners as now, but it would be cows and sheep claiming "Jeff is teh biased", or "It would have been a 9.7 with the OLD system... there is no way it's really a 10". God I love System Wars... **pops more popcorn, in for a long night**Ninja-Vox

You're never going to get unanimous agreement with a review. Ever. What you want to do is minimise the number of people disagreeing with you however. As a reviewer, it's pretty much your job to give a good, logical opinion on a product to let other people know if it's worth spending their money on. If you have a storm of people saying you've got it horribly wrong when you write a review, you've failed to some degree.

That's just the way it is. It's sad that some people would consider 9.5 too low a score; i think that's rediculous. But i'd agree that 9.0 IS too low a score. Simply because he's listed several complaints which dont come up in any other review, and the general consensus seems to be game of the year, amazing game. I dont understand why it's so different for Jeff; or why it ALWAYS seems to be so different for Jeff. :P

Yeah... I agree that the mysterious "hitches" are a reason to at least question it a bit... but I guarantee this: If Jeff's review was the first one on the web, we would have all been rejoicing. Even if all the subsequent reviews that came out were as intact as they are now, we would not have this uproar. A few die hard fans would point out the "hitches" or whatever the hell he said. I think it's a great review of a great game... I think Jeff had the unlucky "honor" to be very late to the game with his "OPINION" on a game that was getting better reviews. That is more of what I'm trying to say. One more thing, is Jeff ever did go back and re-write the review because it WAS a sketchy 360... Oh, the uproar we will see from cows/sheep.
CaseyWegner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1131 CaseyWegner
[QUOTE="CaseyWegner"][QUOTE="Dualshockin"][QUOTE="CaseyWegner"]

Dualshockin

I saw quite a lot of Microsoft fans claiming it,ironically,it is the same ones that were stating-when we said Bioshock will eventually come to the Ps3- "Cows alwayz want our games LMAO!". Hypocritical,wouldn't you say.

i know. that's why i mentioned that cows kept making threads about bioshock coming to the ps3.

tmatte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#1132 tmatte
Member since 2005 • 1488 Posts
The only reason that I'm pissed off about this review is that it scored the same as PDZ.
NathanHawkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1133 NathanHawkins
Member since 2006 • 4470 Posts

Whoa Tony Hawk 3 must be way better than Bioshock. Same With Mario Kart DS and Yoshi's Island Ds. Man i better check them out, i mean come on they're better than bioshock according to GS!MikeMoose

You're either being immature, or you don't fully understand how games are rated on GS.

Reyes360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1134 Reyes360

If the pc version scores higher all hell is breaking loose. I wouldnt be surprised if there would be a mob outside of gamspot.plat1num913

I hope it does score better and Im a lemming, Direct X 10 support and more gloss to a tremendous game. Should get 9.5.

CaseyWegner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1135 CaseyWegner
[QUOTE="CaseyWegner"]

[QUOTE="Ninja-Vox"]Casey, the last thing you want on your hands is a mob of lemmings thinking they're on a higher level than cows and sheep. Careful what you wish for... :PReyes360

yeah and if the blacks sat at the back of the bus and didnt complain the world would be a better place as well? I respectfully disagree. This review was a injustice.

please don't use an example like that ever again.

back to the point, a lot of jeff bashing is going on regardless of the "glitch."

kcpp2b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1136 kcpp2b
Member since 2006 • 12498 Posts

Bioshock getting 9.0 is fun for me cause some very funny bets are need to be done now cause it got less than 9.5.

Dreams for example has to be put dirty underwear on his head and wear, take a pic because he lost his bet and then put in our owned sig.

I personally don't care. Game will rock. Just like Halo 3 I couldn't care less what it scores or MGS4

lohithbms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1137 lohithbms
Member since 2005 • 5081 Posts

I am not bothered about the score, i am just surprised that the review focused more on bringing out what's not good about the game, and a few shreds about what's good.

Dont you find that a little odd.

Ninja-Vox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1138 Ninja-Vox

Whoa Tony Hawk 3 must be way better than Bioshock. Same With Mario Kart DS and Yoshi's Island Ds. Man i better check them out, i mean come on they're better than bioshock according to GS!MikeMoose

Reviews dont work like that. Standards change depending on the time a game is released, the platform its on and the standard of it's competition.

You COULD say that it's odd that the Darkness is 8.5 and BioShock is a 9....

Tactis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1139 Tactis

If the pc version scores higher all hell is breaking loose. I wouldnt be surprised if there would be a mob outside of gamspot.plat1num913

why? the pc is almost always better than its console counterpart(i am a 360 owner and i will say this)

Dualshockin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1140 Dualshockin
Member since 2006 • 7826 Posts
i know. that's why i mentioned that cows kept making threads about bioshock coming to the ps3.CaseyWegner
Not as many as the Microsoft fans,would be the correction here.
Forza_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1142 Forza_2
Member since 2007 • 3083 Posts
How is that dancing around the question? Is that not as close to a straight answer as it gets? :? And out of IGN, Gamespy and heck even EDGE, nobody creates this much controversy every time they review a major game. Jeff seems to have a tendency to get it wrong. This isn't the first time; heck it's not even the first time in one year.

And i'm familiar with Famitsu; they gave higher scores to N3, Blue Dragon, Trusty Bell - heck if anything they're more generous, but that's somewhat of a silly comparison if you dont mind me saying. Japanese tastes differ to our own.

Ninja-Vox

And if Jeff doesn't agree with you he got it wrong ?

tmatte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1143 tmatte
Member since 2005 • 1488 Posts
[QUOTE="borgmaster"]

borgmaster

people have stopped paying attention to me, eh?

*throws down flame shield and starts sulking*

*attacks*

CaseyWegner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1144 CaseyWegner
you guys were pretty happy with jeff when he gave gears of war a 9.6. :|
marioraider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#1145 marioraider
Member since 2006 • 1247 Posts

Does anyone here know how HARD it is to get a 10? Or even a 9.5 for that matter. And I'm talking about here, at GS.

BioShock is a fantastic game, regardless. Too bad people are so blind with conspiracy theories and excuses that they can't see it.

remaGloohcSdlO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1146 remaGloohcSdlO
Member since 2005 • 4152 Posts

Bioshock getting 9.0 is fun for me cause some very funny bets are need to be done now cause it got less than 9.5.

Dreams for example has to be put dirty underwear on his head and wear, take a pic because he lost his bet and then put in our owned sig.

I personally don't care. Game will rock. Just like Halo 3 I couldn't care less what it scores or MGS4

kcpp2b
I knew you'd be loving it! LOL I won my Bioshock bet... as I graded mine on the "GS curve"!!!!
borgmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1147 borgmaster

[QUOTE="plat1num913"]If the pc version scores higher all hell is breaking loose. I wouldnt be surprised if there would be a mob outside of gamspot.Tactis

why? the pc is almost always better than its console counterpart(i am a 360 owner and i will say this)

halo 2(xbox)- 9.4

halo 2(pc)- 7.0

Rockclmbr6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1148 Rockclmbr6
Member since 2004 • 3232 Posts

I was mad over the review for a while, but honestly guys, it's just a review. Look at all the other sites. They love it just as much you do. Advice: Click the little X in the corner of the webpage, go to sleep, wake up tomorrow, pick up Bioshock (or wait for it to get to your house like I am), and love it. That's what I'm doing. :-)

CaseyWegner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1149 CaseyWegner

[QUOTE="CaseyWegner"]i know. that's why i mentioned that cows kept making threads about bioshock coming to the ps3.Dualshockin
Not as many as the Microsoft fans,would be the correction here.

fewer rumors floating out there about it.

CaseyWegner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1150 CaseyWegner
[QUOTE="Tactis"]

[QUOTE="plat1num913"]If the pc version scores higher all hell is breaking loose. I wouldnt be surprised if there would be a mob outside of gamspot.borgmaster

halo 2(xbox)- 9.4

halo 2(pc)- 7.0

that would have been different if the game wasn't released three years later. :|