Official Bioshock Review Discussion Thread - 9.0 (POST HERE OR BE SUSPENDED)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1201 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60718 Posts
I'm picking up my LE edition tomorrow :) GameStop called with a reminder.:D As far as the score goes, its still a AAA game for the 360 and probably PC too.
Reyes360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#1202 Reyes360
Member since 2007 • 2866 Posts

I'm picking up my LE edition tomorrow :) GameStop called with a reminder.:D As far as the score goes, its still a AAA game for the 360 and probably PC too.Heil68

heli you are too nice I hope you enjoy the game I know you will.

Wanderer5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#1203 Wanderer5
Member since 2006 • 25727 Posts

HAHA, over 1100 posts and the game didnt even flop...

Imagine if it got an 8.5..

Kahuna_1

If that happen then this thread would probably have 3000 posts by now.

Forza_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1204 Forza_2
Member since 2007 • 3083 Posts

nobody was expecting it to be THAT high. Not even the people who hyped it. Then real masterpiece games like BioShock get lower scores and it only solidifies the belief that maybe he went a little overboard with gears.

Ninja-Vox

First, yes. People did hype Gears as 9.6.

Second, the real masterpiece games like BioShock... you have beaten the game, right ?

Tactis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#1205 Tactis
Member since 2006 • 1568 Posts
[QUOTE="Dualshockin"][QUOTE="remaGloohcSdlO"][QUOTE="Kahuna_1"]

remaGloohcSdlO

Dear god... we would have seen more account suicides than ever... this place would have turned into an adult website!

There were some suicides about an hour ago,I managed to capture one.

Dang it... I was late to the show!

yeah i dint see any zelda was better in terms of account suicides...

Reyes360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1206 Reyes360
Member since 2007 • 2866 Posts
[QUOTE="Kahuna_1"]

Wanderer5

not true it would be genicide of Lemmings because we all would commit account sucicide.

Dualshockin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1207 Dualshockin
Member since 2006 • 7826 Posts
i almost got one for my too human thread getting AAA cause it kept a steady framerate for 38 hours in the middle of a desert.Reyes360
I honestly did not understand your post.
ganon42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1208 ganon42
Member since 2004 • 1749 Posts
wow, i expected a 9.5. Sheep, i know how you feel when TP flopped :cry:
Killfox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1209 Killfox
Member since 2004 • 6666 Posts

Perfect Dark 0 - 9.0

Bioshock - 9.0

Arent these games supposed to be in different leagues???

Tactis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1210 Tactis
[QUOTE="Wanderer5"][QUOTE="Kahuna_1"]

Reyes360

not true it would be genicide of Lemmings because we all would commit account sucicide.

yeah pretty much...the thread it would not be very large

Ninja-Vox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1211 Ninja-Vox
Member since 2006 • 16314 Posts
[QUOTE="Ninja-Vox"]There will always be those who disagree with your take, that's just life. The trick is to have as fewer people as possible disagreeing and thinking your recommendation is bogus however, and this is where i get frustrated with Jeff.

It's not a one-off occurance. So no, he's not wrong because i dont agree with him. He's wrong because loads and loads of people dont agree with him. He's got a crapstorm of people who think he messed it up; AGAIN.

Forza_2

So let me get this straight... if most people disagree with you than agree, you're wrong ? Wow !

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:|

Is this going to be one of those scenarios where i make a perfectly reasonable post, you attack it for no reason simply because i share a different viewpoint, i respond asking why you're being so hostile, you attack me again and round and round we go no matter how reasonable my post is?

Because if it is let me know and i'll just ignore the next reply.

As for that one; yes you're absolutely right. :|

What's a reviewer? What is the job description? You sample a product. A movie. A book. In this case a video games. You then write up your experience of that product so that others can read about it and make an informed decision as to whether or not they too will spend their money on whatever this product is.

As a reviewer, you're never going to get unanimous agreement. You might say a movie sucks, but it will always have some fans who say you're wrong. A minority who disagree. Your job, is to minimise the number of people wondering what you're on about. Questioning why you gave such a low/high score. Thinking you messed it up.

If you say a game rules and is well worth a purchase, you want the vast majority of your readers - as many as possible - to agree with your recommendation. If you say a game is awesome for anyone who is a shooter fan, only to have many shooter fans buy the game and later complain that you were wrong and it isn't all that at all... you've failed as a reviewer.

Why do you think the reviews which seem to be completely against the grain get dropped from rottentomatoes.com?

All those laughing smileys you put as if what i said was rediculous suddenly look rather daft, dont they? :|

Wanderer5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1212 Wanderer5
Member since 2006 • 25727 Posts
[QUOTE="Wanderer5"][QUOTE="Kahuna_1"]

Reyes360

It could, but who knows. It still going to be crazier then this.

Kahuna_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1213 Kahuna_1
Member since 2006 • 7948 Posts

Perfect Dark 0 - 9.0

Bioshock - 9.0

Killfox

**** happens.

Ezgam3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1215 Ezgam3r
Member since 2006 • 2308 Posts

Perfect Dark 0 - 9.0

Bioshock - 9.0

Killfox
Different times and standards I guess.
Ninja-Vox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1216 Ninja-Vox
[QUOTE="Ninja-Vox"]

nobody was expecting it to be THAT high. Not even the people who hyped it. Then real masterpiece games like BioShock get lower scores and it only solidifies the belief that maybe he went a little overboard with gears.

Forza_2

First, yes. People did hype Gears as 9.6.

Second, the real masterpiece games like BioShock... you have beaten the game, right ?

*sigh*

Would you like me to link you to the Gears thread where many people are surprised it scored so high? Nobody is complaining (save the fanboys) but even those who hyped it post about how they weren't expecting a 9.6

I dont understand why you feel the need to say the gainsay of whatever i say. :roll:

CaseyWegner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1217 CaseyWegner
Member since 2002 • 70114 Posts

I just can't wrap my head around the fact Bioshock was outscored by Wario Ware - by the same reviewer, no less!

I know the scoring system has been changed since, but still...why is it that each platform has it's own set of reviewing standards relative to other games on the platform? Shouldn't all games released in the same time frame be judged by the same standards? It's kinda hard to have consistency when discussing system dominance when the merits by which they are judged by are constantly changing.

THETRUEDOZAH

gamespot doesn't do reviews so that we can argue over the results here.

PhoebusFlows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1218 PhoebusFlows
Member since 2007 • 2050 Posts

If Gamespot reviewed this game earlier, in fact, if they were one of the first reviews out, this would be no problem. We'd be saying "awesome"

but because they are the last to review it they are critcized even more for it because we expect the final review to end with a flourish and be in line with other reviews.You are asking too much

I don't like the new rating system either (and I think it will only make people like those here angier at future game ratings) because it makes too big of a jump and now people are saying Bioshock = PDZ

but what he gave (9.0) seems good enough to me.

Kahuna_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1219 Kahuna_1

Ninja-Vox...why are you arguing with a guy named Forza_2??? Do you honestly think you are going to get a reasonable argument...the extreme 360 fanboys wanted a 9.5 because 9.0s are not good enough..wonder if they will whine when Halo 3 scores a 9.

Tactis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1220 Tactis
[QUOTE="Killfox"]

Perfect Dark 0 - 9.0

Bioshock - 9.0

Ezgam3r

Different times and standards I guess.

if this is the new standard for gamespot then bioshock is going to be the only AAA this entire year. i think there is such a thing as too high of a standard

Dualshockin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1221 Dualshockin
Member since 2006 • 7826 Posts
[QUOTE="Dualshockin"][QUOTE="remaGloohcSdlO"][QUOTE="Kahuna_1"]

remaGloohcSdlO
Dear god... we would have seen more account suicides than ever... this place would have turned into an adult website!

There were some suicides about an hour ago,I managed to capture one.

Dang it... I was late to the show!

If we were allowed to post links to it I would upload the screen cap to imageshack,it wasn't as spectacular as the TP suicides,but it was funny nonetheless.
Ninja-Vox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1222 Ninja-Vox

[QUOTE="Ninja-Vox"]So you basically ignored my post which took down you "but how many reviews do you even read?" arguement.Forza_2

It's only natural when you ignored my question as well.

"How many reviewers do you keep track of ?"

You still didn't answer that one.

Did you actually read my post? Because i did. Twice. :|

Wow....

Ezgam3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1223 Ezgam3r
Member since 2006 • 2308 Posts
[QUOTE="THETRUEDOZAH"]

I just can't wrap my head around the fact Bioshock was outscored by Wario Ware - by the same reviewer, no less!

I know the scoring system has been changed since, but still...why is it that each platform has it's own set of reviewing standards relative to other games on the platform? Shouldn't all games released in the same time frame be judged by the same standards? It's kinda hard to have consistency when discussing system dominance when the merits by which they are judged by are constantly changing.

CaseyWegner

I'm sure they get a kick out of it though :lol:
SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#1224 SpruceCaboose
Member since 2005 • 24589 Posts

a bit low but 9.0 is still AAA. good score. I've never liked jeff's reviews though, I think he thinks its fun to score games lower than most people. Probably likes to feel that he is the most critical of many games.laughingman42

I actually was thinking the exact same thing.

the-very-best

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#1225 the-very-best
Member since 2006 • 14486 Posts

It got 9.0 and Editor's Choice. That's excellent. Has anyone here actually played the full game? Why does Gamespot have to give the same score as all the other reviewers?

It still has a strong chance for GOTY. And there's nothing wrong with the reviewer.

SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#1226 SpruceCaboose
Member since 2005 • 24589 Posts
[QUOTE="Forza_2"]

[QUOTE="Ninja-Vox"]So you basically ignored my post which took down you "but how many reviews do you even read?" arguement.Ninja-Vox

It's only natural when you ignored my question as well.

"How many reviewers do you keep track of ?"

You still didn't answer that one.

Did you actually read my post? Because i did. Twice. :|

Wow....

I subscribe to EGM and Game Informer, I read GameSpot ratings, I read Team Xbox, I read IGN, I read OXM, I read GameSpy, I will read any review posted on Game Rankings, and I actually read reviews, not just scores.

Would I say I am any more intitled to an opinion than any other logical poster? Nope.

MrGrimFandango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1227 MrGrimFandango
Member since 2005 • 5286 Posts

It got 9.0 and Editor's Choice. That's excellent. Has anyone here actually played the full game? Why does Gamespot have to give the same score as all the other reviewers?

It still has a strong chance for GOTY. And there's nothing wrong with the reviewer.

the-very-best

Ok so its not the same as the rest? HOW DOES A GAME THAT GETS 9.8 ACROSS THE BOARD GET A 9.0 HERE?

Absolute joke.

the-very-best

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#1228 the-very-best
Member since 2006 • 14486 Posts

Ok so its not the same as the rest? HOW DOES A GAME THAT GETS 9.8 ACROSS THE BOARD GET A 9.0 HERE?

Absolute joke.

MrGrimFandango

0.8 of a difference is not much.

Ninja-Vox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1229 Ninja-Vox

the-very-best

I dont think the problem is with one game. If a lemmings claims Jeff is evil and has given the game a low score... well they weren't saying that when he reviewed Gears, as someone pointed out earlier.

The complaint, i think at least, is that it always seems to be Jeff who does this. And he seems to be doing it with irritating consistancy. Heck, when do you even get a thread on "alex nevaro is reviewing_____!" Never. If Jeff's doing it, BAM, there's a thread on it because all of a sudden all kinds of crap could go down. :P

ironcreed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#1230 ironcreed
Member since 2005 • 14195 Posts

I think this score has proven one thing for certain....that pure lemmings are the biggest whiners in System Wars by FAR. I mean all this bickering over a 9.0 game that met it's AAA hype, and you guys have the audacity to make fun of the cows when they cry biased? At least when they do it, it is for a legitimate reason, and not for a game that met it's AAA hype with a solid 9.0 score, lol. Hell, even the sheep were not this bad with TP. I mean all this chaosover a 9.0?....LMFAO.

I also thought that Bioshock had a legit shot to hit a 10, or a 9.5 at the very least, but hell, 9.0 is hardly a flop. And I am still betting that it will be the best game out this year, and I plan to pick up my reserved copy tomorrow and enjoy the hell out of it. Bottom line, who cares what number is beside this game on Gamespot, lol? It is an AAA game, and is getting more acclaim across the entire industry than most games will ever hope to get.

Besides, GS is just ONE review, while every other major review is higher. And with the 9.0 that GS gave Bioshock, it actually put them in the minority review wise on this game. So, what are you whining about? Are you going to enjoy the game any less just because Jeff gave it a 9.0, lol? You whiners are letting his review of the game determine it's worth for you, and quite honestly, I find that to be quite patheitc, but also very hilarious at the same time.

And for the record, I am not generalizing all 360 owners here, as I own one as well. I am just talking about the LARGE numbers of lemmings that are whining over a 9.0 score. But all in all, this makes lemmings look BAD, and I mean BAD, lol.

rybe1025

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1231 rybe1025
Member since 2004 • 6362 Posts
[QUOTE="fixer293"]The way I see it, it is another AAA on the belt of the 360. No matter how cows try to spin it, it is a AAA.Dualshockin
It's a AAA multiplat game. Some of us are already downloading the PC demo ;)

Does not make it any less a AAA game on the 360 belt. Just means PC and 360 both get another AAA.
Forza_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1233 Forza_2

Would you like me to link you to the Gears thread where many people are surprised it scored so high?

Ninja-Vox

Would you like me to link you threads which had people hyping it 9.6 or higher ? Casey most likely still remembers it. Tell him Casey !

dru26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1234 dru26
Member since 2005 • 5505 Posts
[QUOTE="the-very-best"]

MrGrimFandango

Absolute joke.

It is an absolute joke. I also never in any other review heard any mention of the game freezing on people.
Seaole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1235 Seaole
Member since 2007 • 151 Posts

I've played the PC demo three times already.

BIOSHOCK newbies, read on...

Story backdrop: This guy, Andrew Ryan, wanted to build an undersea utopia which was to become the ultimate human civilization. Unfortunately, things have gone really bad, people are now spliced mutants and very violent, what's next? Buy the game!

Bioshock's combat really encourages you to improvise your attacks, it's like the Devil May Cry meets FPS. You can eletricute enemies very badly if their stading in a puddle of water killing them instantly, or you can shock them and then finish them off with a sledghammer, basically you have a lot of choices when it comes to combat. But the gameplay itself isn't very open (like the combat), you're often forced to sit through cutscenes or follow scripted events, or very linear corridors. The graphics are also very good and not that taxing for a UE3 game (compared to Rainbow Six Vegas).

It's definately a 9/10. I agree with Jeff.

Kahuna_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1236 Kahuna_1
[QUOTE="Ninja-Vox"]

Would you like me to link you to the Gears thread where many people are surprised it scored so high?

Forza_2

Would you like me to link you threads which had people hyping it 9.6 or higher ? Casey most likely still remembers it. Tell him Casey !

Wow, so they had it hyped at exactly 9.6 or higher??? I would like to see that please.

Ninja-Vox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1237 Ninja-Vox

I subscribe to EGM and Game Informer, I read GameSpot ratings, I read Team Xbox, I read IGN, I read OXM, I read GameSpy, I will read any review posted on Game Rankings, and I actually read reviews, not just scores.

Would I say I am any more intitled to an opinion than any other logical poster? Nope.

SpruceCaboose

I dont know who that was aimed at but i never said i was more entitled to an opinion. :) In fact i've said twice to him now that he should back off because i just have a different view point.

My arguement was that Jeff scores against the grain more than any other reviewer i'm aware of. He asked how many reviewers i keep track of, and i said twice. Then he made that odd post saying i haven't answered his questions. :?

CaseyWegner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1238 CaseyWegner
Member since 2002 • 70114 Posts
[QUOTE="the-very-best"]

MrGrimFandango

Absolute joke.

this just in...different review sources use different review standards.

Avatar image for organic_machine
organic_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1239 organic_machine
Member since 2004 • 10141 Posts
Lemmings, if you gave me this review and told me Jeff gave it a ten, I wouldn't be suprised. The actual review has pretty much nothing but good things to say. That is why I am suprised that it got just a 9. By reading it, it appears the game would have gotten a 9.5. When Jeff reviews Halo 3, the review itself will praise it, but it'll probably end up getting an 8.5. I know for sure the PC version will score AAA, if not a 9.5.
Aznsilvrboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1240 Aznsilvrboy
Member since 2002 • 11495 Posts

LOL this is jokes...posts in this thread are spawning faster than I can read them...:lol:

I'm just going to sit by the sidelines and watch you guys duke it out.8)

Forza_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1241 Forza_2
:|

Is this going to be one of those scenarios where i make a perfectly reasonable post

Ninja-Vox

There's nothing reasonable with your post, sorry. A review can be technically wrong. But it has nothing to do with the majority of people agreeing with him or not. You think Jeff cares if the majority agrees with him or not ? It's his opinion, his take on the game.

Tactis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1242 Tactis
[QUOTE="MrGrimFandango"][QUOTE="the-very-best"]

dru26

Absolute joke.

It is an absolute joke. I also never in any other review heard any mention of the game freezing on people.

agreed thats my number one problem with this review, its very strange that he seems to be the only reviewer who has had that problem.

Cube_of_MooN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#1243 Cube_of_MooN
Member since 2005 • 9286 Posts
I don't understand the disappointment, 9.0 is still a great score. AAA all the way.
BillGreen68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1244 BillGreen68
Member since 2004 • 12361 Posts

Perfect Dark 0 - 9.0

Bioshock - 9.0

Killfox

Don't even try to make that argument. GS just revamped their rating system. You can't compare them like that. Not to mention PDZ was released in 05, and Bioshock in 07. Rating standards change.

eastside49er

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1245 eastside49er
Member since 2002 • 19559 Posts
[QUOTE="MrGrimFandango"][QUOTE="the-very-best"]

CaseyWegner

Absolute joke.

this just in...different review sources use different review standards.

More like just different opinions although one of his biggest bads of the game has yet to be mentioned in any other review so far (freezing of the game after so many hours of play time). I haven't seen one person mention that in any review and I'm not just talking the gameranking reviews either.

redwizard00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1246 redwizard00
Member since 2005 • 307 Posts
[QUOTE="THETRUEDOZAH"]

CaseyWegner

I own a 360 and a Wii. I like party games and FPS. Because I am a video game fan using Gamespot's reviews as a guide, should I buy Warioware or Bioshock tomorrow?

Melfencik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#1247 Melfencik
Member since 2005 • 247 Posts

[QUOTE="Melfencik"]A game that is 20 hours long with one of the BEST single player campaigns in history and tons of replayability gets 9.0 rather than a game that is 6-10 hours long with a linear campaign and shallow(if still very fun gameplay). this sites really gone down since greg left. Sparky04

I'm going to assume that you are talking about Gears of War and I don't like how you don't mention that it has some of the best multiplayer ever devised in a game.

i am talking about gears (and actually i have put about 30 hours into gears multiplayer and yea it is alot of fun i just forgot to mention it) but it wasnt a "classic one of a kind game" it was just a "really well polished, very good game". bioshock is one of the greatest games to come around this century(if system shock 2, metacritic and gamerankings can be trusted) but it cant score higher than a game that is merely a very very good game.

Ninja-Vox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1248 Ninja-Vox
[QUOTE="Ninja-Vox"]

Forza_2

Stop being a lackey and make some points. Anyone can just quote all of Casey's posts and stick a :lol: on. That doesn't mean he's going to suddenly back you up with whatever you have to say. The mods around here aren't that fickle.

And of course some fanboys will have hyped it high. Heck, some probably said 10 out of 10. There are always some. The fact is however, that the general tone when the game was reviewed was one of "wow, 9.6 - i wasn't expecting that."

Not "that's too high jeff sucks!" but surprise. I dont think many where thinking 9.6, as two people have pointed out now besides me.

And like i said anyway; it's a pointless arguement. This isn't about gears. It's about the fact that Jeff seems to mess up a lot of reviews compared to other reviewers. If you disagree, fine. Good for you. Back your opinion up. All you've done so far is attack anything i say because i disagree with you.

Jeez...

wmc540

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1249 wmc540
Member since 2006 • 2620 Posts

[QUOTE="Ninja-Vox"]Casey, the last thing you want on your hands is a mob of lemmings thinking they're on a higher level than cows and sheep. Careful what you wish for... :PCaseyWegner

well, if they would have kept their mouths shut and accepted the review, they would have been on a higher level.

Sorry, but I do not accept the taste of garbage. I will not keep my mouth shut, in fact I will spit it out. BTW I am talking about the .5 system not this Bioshock review.

Halo2_Norad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#1250 Halo2_Norad
Member since 2002 • 3802 Posts

Wow, people are really out for blood with this one eh?

I don't mind the score at all. I just mind how poorly done the actual review was. And also the fact that his main gripe was some graphical hic-ups that not one other review has mentioned. I am disappointed for that reason.