Official Bioshock Review Discussion Thread - 9.0 (POST HERE OR BE SUSPENDED)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

NathanHawkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1001 NathanHawkins
Member since 2006 • 4470 Posts

Did GS say ANYTHING about Elder Scrolls 4:OBLIVIONS hitches and glitches? Im not sure but i think it DID. We ALL know we experienced that in our 360 consoles

Did THAT stop it from reaching damage control like we see now? No. Theres definitely a problem here.

Solid-CELL

Take into consideration the times of release. Also take into consideration that GS isn't one person. Jeff didn't review Oblivion on 360. People opinions differ...even in GS.

Edit: Not that I'm disagreeing with you necessarily...just elaborating.

iunderstand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1002 iunderstand
Member since 2006 • 3201 Posts

[QUOTE="SkyRaid"][QUOTE="CaseyWegner"]come on, lemmings. look at it this way. gamespot reviews games hard. if a game manages to score AAA, then you know it's something special.Wanderer5

Like Warioware.

Yep, you fail.

Have you even play it?>_> I thought it was pretty fun.

Also, I'd like to add that a game doesn't need to be targetted to your demographic to be a quality game.

CaseyWegner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1003 CaseyWegner
Member since 2002 • 70114 Posts

So Casey, on the Saffir-Simpson Scale of Internet Assplosions, what will your upcoming sticky rate as?

1 to ZOMGWTFBBQ

D0013ER

it's nothing terribly surprising. it just won't be popular with some people.

wmc540

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1004 wmc540
Member since 2006 • 2620 Posts

maybe if you guys make enough noise about the supposed "glitch" then a revision to the review will be done. just don't make new threads about it here.CaseyWegner

Well I have to see the game for myself, which I will be receiving tommorow. However, I couldn't find any other sites noting this glitch so I am hopeful that it was a rare occurence and one that will be corrected.

mwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1005 mwa
Member since 2003 • 2639 Posts

maybe if you guys make enough noise about the supposed "glitch" then a revision to the review will be done. just don't make new threads about it here.CaseyWegner

you mean don't make threads about it in SW? if so, i'd like to know where we should make said thread, because i do have a problem with the fact that this supposed "glitch" is not mentioned in any other review.

Reyes360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1006 Reyes360
Member since 2007 • 2866 Posts

a mysterious glitch can be patched via update. and this Jeff's hitch glitch is one mysterious one at best. I played the game for 3 hours straight and noticed nothing but great graphics and gameplay. I guess the 360 doesnt work too good when you have a grilled cheese sandwich stuck to the vents?

Tactis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#1007 Tactis
Member since 2006 • 1568 Posts

well i guess thats hope but i mean i am sure jeff has seen the high scores does he not know anyone else who is a review for another site that he could ask if they experienced such and such problem or maybe ask someone who he might have known to got the game early from toys are us? i mean its not ign gives 9.7s if the game has that major of a freezing glitch and not mention it in their review they aren't THAT incompetent.

joslop500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#1008 joslop500
Member since 2005 • 1215 Posts
9.0?? WTF! Bioshock is a truly AAA game, how could you Jeff? I don't trust your reviews anymore.
remaGloohcSdlO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#1009 remaGloohcSdlO
Member since 2005 • 4152 Posts
9.0 is an awesome score, another AAA for the 360, and NOT a flop. What the hell is wrong with everyone? It seems everyone is mad it didn't get a 10, but a 10 is SOOOOO rare. If they do have a "no penalty" death system that makes the game a bit too easy, there's your first strike right there. To have Bioshock on the 360 is a blessing, and I will play and enjoy it to it's fullest. It may be a 10 in my book and a 7 in yours... so PLAY the game before you get all bent out of shape. I'm actually more bummed that the 9.0 knocked it out of the top spot at gamerankings.com for all time highest rated game (although subsequent reviews could push it back up) as I thought knocking LOZ: OOT out of the top spot was more exciting that having an AAAA rating on GS... but we still might get that wish!
Reyes360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1010 Reyes360

[QUOTE="CaseyWegner"]maybe if you guys make enough noise about the supposed "glitch" then a revision to the review will be done. just don't make new threads about it here.mwa

you mean don't make threads about it in SW? if so, i'd like to know where we should make said thread, because i do have a problem with the fact that this supposed "glitch" is not mentioned in any other review.

I agree check the guys house out. He could be playing in a pile of dirt and dust and have a grilled cheese sandwich stuck to the vents of the 360? I mean thats absurd.

Wanderer5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1011 Wanderer5
Member since 2006 • 25727 Posts

9.0?? WTF! Bioshock is a truly AAA game, how could you Jeff? I don't trust your reviews anymore.joslop500

Uh 9.0 is AAA.>_>

Forza_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1012 Forza_2
Member since 2007 • 3083 Posts

So...The Darkness is an 8.5 and Bioshock is a 9.0? Does anyone else find that a little screwy?AtomicLightbulb
8.5 is waaaay too much for The Darkness. That game is a piece of crap.

There, I said it.

Reyes360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1013 Reyes360

[QUOTE="CaseyWegner"]maybe if you guys make enough noise about the supposed "glitch" then a revision to the review will be done. just don't make new threads about it here.Tactis

well i guess thats hope but i mean i am sure jeff has seen the high scores does he not know anyone else who is a review for another site that he could ask if they experienced such and such problem or maybe ask someone who he might have known to got the game early from toys are us? i mean its not ign gives 9.7s if the game has that major of a freezing glitch and not mention it in their review they aren't THAT incompetent.

a hitch glitch can be caused by someone who doesnt know how to air out a console or ventalitate it.

MikeE21286

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#1014 MikeE21286
Member since 2003 • 10405 Posts

So Jeff.......(I wish he was reading this).....Serious question here....

The Darkness - 8.5

Bioshock - 9.0

Uh......WTF happened there??? You're telling me Bioshock is just 1 review notch above The Darkness.....c'mon. Really?

Seriously, it's completely ridiculous.

D0013ER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1015 D0013ER
Member since 2007 • 3765 Posts
[QUOTE="D0013ER"]

So Casey, on the Saffir-Simpson Scale of Internet Assplosions, what will your upcoming sticky rate as?

1 to ZOMGWTFBBQ

CaseyWegner

Then it MUST be open... 8)

Ninja-Vox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1016 Ninja-Vox
Member since 2006 • 16314 Posts

I'm not making a big thing about this. I'm not saying Gamespot fails at reviews, or that we should move to gamerankings instead; in fact i'm completely against that idea.

My only complaint is that Jeff, more than any reviewer on any other site, seems to mess things up at a far greater rate than is acceptable. You're never going to agree with every review. You're always going to think one reviewer has been too harsh, or too generous with their scores. It happens.

But it happens to Jeff with practically every review he writes. Twilight Princess? He messed that up big time. He went overboard with Gears of War. He went flat-out insane with Tony Hawk's.

He just cant get it right. I realise it's no big deal; but imagine if you sat an exam, and 20 teachers marked it individually. 19 give you 100%, or 97 or 98. All around about full marks, give or take.

Then one, out of the whole group, only gives you 89 or 90. That's an awesome mark. Nobody would be upset with that. But why so low compared to everyone else? What's this guy seeing which nobody else is?

It's just infuriating. Why they allow a man who seems to create a storm of controversy every time he writes a review continue to critique the big games like Zelda and BioShock is just beyond me.

HarryCrackage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1017 HarryCrackage
Member since 2004 • 1426 Posts

Cheese and rice there's a lot of whining going on in this thread. It's still a AAA title, people.

As far as whether it merited a better score than Wario Ware...that's apples and oranges. WW is a party game and one of the better ones at that. Bioshock is an FPS. Compare similar titles if you must.

And for the PDZ complaints. Perhaps it has to do with the window in which they were released. For a launch title, PDZ was solid with a very entertaining multiplayer component. Bioshock is 2nd generation and should be held to a higher standard. Had they released within the same quarter I would understand the complaints.

Oh well....nothing like watching internet temper tantrums.

CaseyWegner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1018 CaseyWegner

[QUOTE="CaseyWegner"]maybe if you guys make enough noise about the supposed "glitch" then a revision to the review will be done. just don't make new threads about it here.mwa

make blogs, make reviews of the game...

jpKNOCKOUT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1019 jpKNOCKOUT
Member since 2005 • 4393 Posts

while 9.0 is a great score, i don't think it's justified from the complaints he made. And this glitch thing they're talking about is pretty new to me - i haven't read this in any other review (from what i remember :S)

damn, i hate this new rating system, lol. But oh well! We already know that bioshock is an incredible game.

Dualshockin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1020 Dualshockin
Member since 2006 • 7826 Posts
[QUOTE="Dualshockin"][QUOTE="cjnwo4life"]

"You could fumble your way through the 15 or 20 hours it'll probably take to properly explore Rapture and still see everything there is to see. This, along with three selectable difficulty settings, leaves you with the impression that the game was made to cater to a wide audience" No **it!

WOW, lets make a game that is so hard only a couple hundred thousand people will buy it.

It the reviewer has no business sense whatsoever or simply only cares that he can play super difficult games at the expense of a wider audience.

This wasn't a good review period and it may be time they find someone else who actually knows how to review games moving forward!

cjnwo4life

Jeff has been reviewing games ever since his late teen years,whilst I may disagree with some of his points on specific reviews(Based off personal experience),it is not at all wrong for a man who has played arguably more games than we ever will,wanting a more challenging experience from a game.

I respectfully disagree with you.

There can be a point that over time you can still lose touch with today's community ( whether that is being a boxing fan of 20 years ago vs. todays version or being an old school politican vs. the needs of todays society). Things and people change and if you cannot adapt then you need to move aside. You can't say all because he has been playing games since he was a child makes him the only authority of the needs of today's community and frankly he has lost touch w/ the community as it is today!

It isn't a bad thing against him, but the reality of the business as it is today!

I understand your overall logic,but at the same time,is it wrong for someone to want a more challenging experience due to years and years of gaming? I doubt he has truly lost touch with today's community,because ironically,his desire for a more challenging game experience can be echoed on by most in the community.There are countless threads here that state Nintendo are ruining the industry because of the Wiis general strategy-Easy to get into games,easy to play,and these very same people who complain about the simplicity of the consoles games are what make up the community. I honestly will not buy Bioshock if the Demo is too easy,for me,it's that simple;I want a challenging game experience that will not only work my mind,but will also indirectly challenge the quickness of my hands and eyes as well.Proper immersion,is what I want.
CaseyWegner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1021 CaseyWegner

The Darkness - 8.5

Bioshock - 9.0

Uh......WTF happened there??? You're telling me Bioshock is just 1 review notch above The Darkness.....c'mon. Really?

MikeE21286

have you played both?

Tactis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1022 Tactis
[QUOTE="CaseyWegner"][QUOTE="D0013ER"]

1 to ZOMGWTFBBQ

D0013ER

Then it MUST be open... 8)

this mystery thread is definitely peaking my interest

MADVLAD123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#1023 MADVLAD123
Member since 2005 • 6053 Posts
Lemmings are too greedy. They always want more.
CaseyWegner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1024 CaseyWegner

Lemmings are too greedy. They always want more.MADVLAD123

yeah. like when they wanted a higher score for metroid prime 2 or final fantasy 12...oh wait. that wasn't them.

remaGloohcSdlO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1025 remaGloohcSdlO
[QUOTE="MikeE21286"]

The Darkness - 8.5

Bioshock - 9.0

CaseyWegner

have you played both?

You know sound reasoning won't work on most SW posters... right?
Forza_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1026 Forza_2

My only complaint is that Jeff, more than any reviewer on any other site, seems to mess things up at a far greater rate than is acceptable. Ninja-Vox

Welcome to Silly Claims, may I take your order prease ?

O_OdazX_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1027 O_OdazX_X
Member since 2007 • 658 Posts
[QUOTE="CaseyWegner"][QUOTE="Reyes360"]

[QUOTE="CaseyWegner"]come on, lemmings. look at it this way. gamespot reviews games hard. if a game manages to score AAA, then you know it's something special.Zor

Casey its a crime the game deserved 9.5. His reasoning for giving it a 9.0 is such a joke. I mean hitches after playing it for how long? I mean come on I have heard no one say that once in any of the reviews. its sad cause this is the best forum on the planet and we are governed by the GS rating system, which now I really have my doubts.

you can't expect to agree with a reviewer every single time. if you do, you're not human.

or your the reviewer...

anywho, just played the demo, and i have to say... meh... from all the hype/demand some of these fanboys are giving (for it to be a 10) the demo of the game didn't seem that good. Personally i found it too much like Doom 3 in the sense that you don't have a flash light (well i couldn't find one, so if there is one, i don't know about it) and that bugs me. They can make it so you can shot lighting out of your left hand, but a flash light is too high tech for them. I know the whole shadow dark thingy is to make the atmosphere scary and such, but that just seems like a cheap way to do it.

Erm, you're complaining about lack of a flashlight? The games not even that dark. :S

Reyes360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1028 Reyes360

Lemmings are too greedy. They always want more.MADVLAD123

Basically giving it 9.0 takes it out of GOTY contention and thats a god da*n shame.

Dualshockin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1029 Dualshockin
9.0?? WTF! Bioshock is a truly AAA game, how could you Jeff? I don't trust your reviews anymore.joslop500
I honestly hope you are joking.
remaGloohcSdlO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1030 remaGloohcSdlO

[QUOTE="MADVLAD123"]Lemmings are too greedy. They always want more.CaseyWegner

yeah. like when they wanted a higher score for metroid prime 2 or final fantasy 12...oh wait. that wasn't them.

LOL... Casey can OWN people with the best of them!
CaseyWegner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1031 CaseyWegner

[QUOTE="MADVLAD123"]Lemmings are too greedy. They always want more.Reyes360

Basically giving it 9.0 takes it out of GOTY contention and thats a god da*n shame.

not really. the whole staff chooses goty.

Forza_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1032 Forza_2

Don't forget God of War 2... fanboys were crazy because it didn't score as high as Gears.

Reyes360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1033 Reyes360
[QUOTE="Reyes360"]

well thats good to know

plat1num913

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1034 plat1num913
Member since 2006 • 603 Posts
I think we all know now biochoke isnt getting goty now (gamespot)
Yellow_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1035 Yellow_Rose
Member since 2002 • 16739 Posts

[QUOTE="MADVLAD123"]Lemmings are too greedy. They always want more.Reyes360

No, it does not, kid. Please get a clue.

borgmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1036 borgmaster
Member since 2005 • 2225 Posts

who wants to bet that jeff is looking at this and laughing a maniacal laugh? I'm serious, he just likes to screw with system warsians.

this isn't jeff bashing, just unbased speculation.

NathanHawkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1038 NathanHawkins
Member since 2006 • 4470 Posts

I understand your overall logic,but at the same time,is it wrong for someone to want a more challenging experience due to years and years of gaming? I doubt he has truly lost touch with today's community,because ironically,his desire for a more challenging game experience can be echoed on by most in the community.There are countless threads here that state Nintendo are ruining the industry because of the Wiis general strategy-Easy to get into games,easy to play,and these very same people who complain about the simplicity of the consoles games are what make up the community. I honestly will not buy Bioshock if the Demo is too easy,for me,it's that simple;I want a challenging game experience that will not only work my mind,but will also indirectly challenge the quickness of my hands and eyes as well.Proper immersion,is what I want.Dualshockin

Jeff also mentioned that he beat the final boss in Bioshock with the wrench. The challenge wasn't there according to him. He came into the Button Mashing chatroom and explained some reasons for the score to which people had questions. Especially after his further explanations to criticisms, the justification of the score became more apparent.

Dualshockin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1039 Dualshockin
Dont....even.....go...there....... :lol:Yellow_Rose
Back in those days,it was quite exciting to jump into the fun wasn't it ;) ?
Reyes360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1040 Reyes360
[QUOTE="Reyes360"]

[QUOTE="MADVLAD123"]Lemmings are too greedy. They always want more.Yellow_Rose

No, it does not, kid. Please get a clue.

it doesnt help it, please find yourself or buy yourself a clue.

CaseyWegner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1041 CaseyWegner

who wants to bet that jeff is looking at this and laughing a maniacal laugh? I'm serious, he just likes to screw with system warsians.borgmaster

he rarely even looks at this forum.

lohithbms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1042 lohithbms
Member since 2005 • 5081 Posts

I will be getting the game tomorrow.

The bad part about the review was it just highlighted what was bad about the game, i just wish the review was a bit better. IMHO i feel the review was off. Usually game reviewers bring out both good and bad about a game, but looking at the other reviews the game got , seems like the Good outweighs the Bad.

But GS review seemed to focus on bringing out, what was the bad part of the game.

hazuki87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#1043 hazuki87
Member since 2004 • 2031 Posts

Wow youd think from this thread that Bioshock didn't get an amazing review or something.

For the Xbox fanboys claiming the review was biased.... it got a friggin 9!

For Sony and Nintendo fanboys claiming ownage... it got a friggin 9!

Reyes360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1044 Reyes360

I think we all know now biochoke isnt getting goty now (gamespot)plat1num913

I hate to say it but I agree and 9.0 is a flop for this game as well. Good job Jeff hope you sleep well at night.

remaGloohcSdlO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1045 remaGloohcSdlO
[QUOTE="Reyes360"]

That does raise an interesting question (although I'm not upset at the Bioshock score). Should GS go to a multipler reviewer system, even if it's for "2nd opinions" like GI? Two or three reviewers averaging their score could go a LONG way into not getting people like Jeff overrun with death threats and hate mail.
Tactis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1046 Tactis

who wants to bet that jeff is looking at this and laughing a maniacal laugh? I'm serious, he just likes to screw with system warsians.borgmaster

lol at warsians, i dont think so although if halo 3 gets AAAA and mass effect get a 8.5 and both reviewed by jeff than yeah there might be something there.

Reyes360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1047 Reyes360

I will be getting the game tomorrow.

The bad part about the review was it just highlighted what was bad about the game, i just wish the review was a bit better. IMHO i feel the review was off. Usually game reviewers bring out both good and bad about a game, but looking at the other reviews the game got , seems like the Good outweighs the Bad.

But GS review seemed to focus on bringing out, what was the bad part of the game.

lohithbms

way off the guy did the game dirty.

CaseyWegner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1048 CaseyWegner

[QUOTE="plat1num913"] I think we all know now biochoke isnt getting goty now (gamespot)Reyes360

I hate to say it but I agree and 9.0 is a flop for this game as well. Good job Jeff hope you sleep well at night.

knock it off.

abdu4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1049 abdu4
Member since 2003 • 4187 Posts
9.0 is a little low for such a game.
Solid-CELL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1050 Solid-CELL
Member since 2006 • 5910 Posts

I doubt it....im betting that his employers/managers/boss is looking at this thread wondering WTF is wrong with Jeff to make an entire community go crazy like this....MORE THAN ONCE!!!

IF Jeff and his employers have read this read.....Jeff must be crapping his pants right now.....

......Please dont modd me :oops: