Nintendo: Physical media is here to stay

• 67 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44069 Posts

Well it figures they'd say this seeing as they are dead last this gen when it comes to on-line functions. :o

Seriously, you buying what they're selling ?

Me, I'm guessing within 5 - 7 years most or maybe at least half of our games purchases will be through DL'ing. :shock:

Or not :P what say you ?

The Story.

---

Despite our increasingly online-enabled world and the rise of digitally distributed games, Nintendo has insisted physical media is here to stay.

"We have been very clearly communicating for a long time that the packaged software or retail market is the one that's going to drive the mass market," Nintendo of Europe's MD of marketing and PR, Laurent Fischer told Edge.

"We have never seen any link between growth in the mobile gaming market and decrease in the normal software market. It's two different markets, two different topics. We couldn't find any evidence of those two markets being linked."

Fischer's comments echo those from Sony Computer Entertainment boss Kaz Hirai, who in August last year insisted that a digital future is over 10 years away.

"We do business in parts of the world where network infrastructure isn't as robust as one would hope," Hirai said.

"There's always going to be requirement for a business of our size and scope to have a physical medium.

"To think everything will be downloaded in two years, three years or even 10 years from now is taking it a little bit to the extreme."

Last July saw a watershed moment in the rise of digitally distributed games, when NPD revealed that US PC game digital downloads were reaching parity with in-store.

And in October Take-Two boss Strauss Zelnick predicted that in three years' time 40 per cent of the Grand Theft Auto company's sales will be digitally distributed titles.

For Nintendo's Fischer, though, it's all about the high street.

"People who talk about the end of physical media don't share the same daily reality as most consumers," he said.

LaytonsCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 LaytonsCat
Member since 2010 • 3652 Posts

Its true most internet connections aren't good enough to be downloading huge files. And it would hurt sales of games like Wii Fit and other such family oriented games. Theres a world beyond games...

campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
people are really naive to think that in our lifetime physical media will be overtaken by digital... facts are... only a handful of countries have the resources to sustain a digital only environment.. and lets face it... not everyone LIKES digital media.. i like going to a store to pick a game..and i like having the disc in my collection.. also... have fun lending ur game to a friend...oh wait...
Avatar image for Vinegar_Strokes
Vinegar_Strokes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Vinegar_Strokes
Member since 2010 • 3401 Posts

totally agree physical media be it a CD, DVD, Bluray or even a book will be around for a long long time.

still... its nice to have the choice

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19572 Posts

people are really naive to think that in our lifetime physical media will be overtaken by digital... facts are... only a handful of countries have the resources to sustain a digital only environment.. and lets face it... not everyone LIKES digital media.. i like going to a store to pick a game..and i like having the disc in my collection.. also... have fun lending ur game to a friend...oh wait...campzor

I think the main thing stopping digital distribution from taking over is that the console's online stores are run entirely by either Sony, Microsoft or Nintendo, meaning that there's no competition and they can charge what they want.

This isn't as much of a problem on the PC, where digital distribution overtook physical media years ago. Competition between online stores there has kept the prices low.

*edit* Which is to say that I think that digital distribution could take over other platforms too, as long as there are multiple ways to buy those games.

Twin-Blade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Twin-Blade
Member since 2005 • 6806 Posts

Wow. Nintendo, you let me down with the Wii but you might just win me back with this attitude.

(Before I get flamed, the Wii is a good console, just not for me. Please don't hurt me.)

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44069 Posts

[QUOTE="campzor"]people are really naive to think that in our lifetime physical media will be overtaken by digital... facts are... only a handful of countries have the resources to sustain a digital only environment.. and lets face it... not everyone LIKES digital media.. i like going to a store to pick a game..and i like having the disc in my collection.. also... have fun lending ur game to a friend...oh wait...Planeforger

I think the main thing stopping digital distribution from taking over is that the console's online stores are run entirely by either Sony, Microsoft or Nintendo, meaning that there's no competition and they can charge what they want.

This isn't as much of a problem on the PC, where digital distribution overtook physical media years ago. Competition between online stores there has kept the prices low.

*edit* Which is to say that I think that digital distribution could take over other platforms too, as long as there are multiple ways to buy those games.

Winner, winner chicken dinner.

I should have made it clearer in the OP but yes, cost is key and ya gotta wonder if this scenario becomes fact...

DD copy = 25 bucks and the store hard copy = 50 bucks, which one to buy ? Which one will I buy I wonder ?

jdmpastor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#9 jdmpastor
Member since 2003 • 664 Posts

5-7 years? That's what they were saying 5-7 years AGO and that's what they will be saying 5-7 years from NOW. Physical media will be around a long time.

ThePlothole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 ThePlothole
Member since 2007 • 11515 Posts
Clearly we aren't anywhere close to the point where digital even could take over. And honestly I hope physical media stays around. Digital distribution means the end of real ownership.
GFugue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 GFugue
Member since 2009 • 935 Posts

Nintendo's actually the most likely to go DD on a console of their own, since they publish most of the games that come out on the Wii and could make a DD service of their own.

And to those who claim that downloading huge files takes too long, I can usually get more than a few dozen GBs worth in ~eight hours, and I have a 30 MBit connection.

GFugue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 GFugue
Member since 2009 • 935 Posts

I hope physical media stays around. Digital distribution means the end of real ownership.ThePlothole

Not really. The only thing you currently own is the disc media -- the software on it isn't yours. The idea that having a game in a DVD/BRD means you own its content is an illusion.

campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts

[QUOTE="ThePlothole"]I hope physical media stays around. Digital distribution means the end of real ownership.GFugue

Not really. The only thing you currently own is the disc media -- the software on it isn't yours. The idea that having a game in a DVD/BRD means you own its content is an illusion.

i can live with that illusion
ThePlothole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 ThePlothole

Nintendo's actually the most likely to go DD on a console of their own, since they publish most of the games that come out on the Wii and could make a DD service of their own.

And to those who claim that downloading huge files takes too long, I can usually get more than a few dozen GBs worth in ~eight hours, and I have a 30 MBit connection.

GFugue
Uh, 30 MBits is relatively fast in most places. For instance the majority of internet connections in the United States are below 4MBits.
OhSnapitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 OhSnapitz
Member since 2002 • 19282 Posts

Well I say to Nintendo (and all the naysayers)..

Last gen, how many games, movies, music, or overall DLC packages were available and or you downloaded?

ok

This gen, how many games, movies, music, or overall DLC packages are available and or you downloaded?

EXACTLY!

Nintendo is stating this because their business model is based around physical media (wii, DS, 3DS). They've yet to embrace the online infrastructure and are leagues behind the competition in this regard. So, they're supporting the media that supports their products.

By next gen I'm predicting that over 1/3 of the content you purchase will be DD (and that's being modest).

AmayaPapaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#16 AmayaPapaya
Member since 2008 • 9029 Posts

I understand, although I would prefer digital download over physical discs. Cases are nice, but I would rather be able to get my game now, not have to worry if I can't find it, and I would rather have all my games in one place where I can quickly swap between them. Also theoretically, games would be a lot cheaper considering the publisher no longer has to pay shipping, shelf space, and whatever else. The game become much more profitable.

ThePlothole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 ThePlothole

[QUOTE="ThePlothole"]I hope physical media stays around. Digital distribution means the end of real ownership.GFugue

That's the point: You own the disc, not the content. You can sell your game disc, or buy a disc second hand. You can trade a disc with a friend, or rent a copy from places like Blockbuster. None of these are an option with digital. Digital is only content, thus digital gives you nothing to own.
Zanoh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18 Zanoh
Member since 2006 • 6942 Posts

I buy what they are saying, because truly the physical format is indeed here to stay as it always has been. I think it is a market for digital downloads that will become more open and available to coincide with said physical products. :)

DudeNtheRoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 DudeNtheRoom
Member since 2010 • 1276 Posts
Personally, I think this is an overreaction. Saying "physical media is here to stay" is like reasurring someone that the sun will rise again. I think most ppl who like DD just say that it will be more open in the future. For example, if you don't want to go to the store and pick up the game you could just download it onto your console. DD is so much easier when you have a system like Steam backing it up.
dc337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 dc337
Member since 2008 • 2603 Posts

DD is so much easier when you have a system like Steam backing it up.DudeNtheRoom

I'm not convinced that it is since I have to go to the store anyways.

What I don't like about Steam is that they charge full price for digital versions of pc games.

If I'm giving up the option of resale/giving/trading then I should get a discount on the price. New pc games should not be more than $40.

DudeNtheRoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 DudeNtheRoom
Member since 2010 • 1276 Posts

[QUOTE="DudeNtheRoom"] DD is so much easier when you have a system like Steam backing it up.dc337

What I don't like about Steam is that they charge full price for digital versions of pc games.

If I'm giving up the option of resale/giving/trading then I should get a discount on the price. New pc games should not be more than $40.

Publishers hate the used game market anyway, why would they take that into account when pricing a game. The used game market is one of the reasons pricing is the way it is. Correct me if I'm wrong but not all DD is like Steam. Some of them allow you to make a data disc and actually have a installable physical copy of the game. AT least thats what I thought.

dc337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 dc337

[QUOTE="dc337"]

[QUOTE="DudeNtheRoom"] DD is so much easier when you have a system like Steam backing it up.DudeNtheRoom

Publishers hate the used game market anyway, why would they take that into account when pricing a game. The used game market is one of the reasons pricing is the way it is. Correct me if I'm wrong but not all DD is like Steam. Some of them allow you to make a data disc and actually have a installable physical copy of the game. AT least thats what I thought.

How are $50 digital pc games related to used games? If anyone is to blame it is Valve for taking a 40% cut of every sale and marking their own games up.

You may be fine with buying $50 digital games but I refuse to encourage them. If the game is $50-60 then I want a licensed copy that I can transfer, not just access.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#23 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
Which is why they are offering the Virtual Console and WiiWare and not relying solely on retail releases? :|
jaymillsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 jaymillsy
Member since 2005 • 94 Posts
[QUOTE="ThePlothole"][QUOTE="GFugue"]

I hope physical media stays around. Digital distribution means the end of real ownership.ThePlothole

That's the point: You own the disc, not the content. You can sell your game disc, or buy a disc second hand. You can trade a disc with a friend, or rent a copy from places like Blockbuster. None of these are an option with digital. Digital is only content, thus digital gives you nothing to own.

But this is exactly what they are trying to get away from, they don't want people to trade games etc they want them to buy new. DD is coming, dont be delusional.
edidili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 edidili
Member since 2004 • 3449 Posts

Whatever Nintendo, we know that you're not in the avant-garde of cutting edge technology anyway.

PC is and for it physical media ia a thing of the past.

dc337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 dc337

Whatever Nintendo, we know that you're not in the avant-garde of cutting edge technology anyway.

PC is and for it physical media ia a thing of the past.

edidili

It has nothing to do with technical ability, they already sell wii and ds games digitally.

A big downside to DD only is that there is no store presence which provides free advertising. Some people think pc games are all peggle/nancy drew/sims stuff since that is all they see at the store.

Avatar image for Nintendo_Ownes7
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Nintendo_Ownes7
Member since 2005 • 30973 Posts

Which is why they are offering the Virtual Console and WiiWare and not relying solely on retail releases? :|foxhound_fox
Iwata even said they are for DD and Cloud gaming and they said they will use some features from those in their next console but they are saying there will still be a place for Physical Media.

amaneuvering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 amaneuvering
Member since 2009 • 4809 Posts

Digital download and streaming media is the future.

END OF DISCUSION

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#29 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

[QUOTE="ThePlothole"][QUOTE="GFugue"]

jaymillsy

But this is exactly what they are trying to get away from, they don't want people to trade games etc they want them to buy new. DD is coming, dont be delusional.

But that's exactly what the people don't want :P Like the guy in Flow said, 21st century will be the century of the common people. It's about the individual against the institution. In every area. I hope people will stand before losing all rights to the companies. It'll be difficult to reclaim our rights, after they have been taken away and measures have been put in place to prevent us from doing just that.

jaymillsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 jaymillsy

[QUOTE="jaymillsy"][QUOTE="ThePlothole"] That's the point: You own the disc, not the content. You can sell your game disc, or buy a disc second hand. You can trade a disc with a friend, or rent a copy from places like Blockbuster. None of these are an option with digital. Digital is only content, thus digital gives you nothing to own.KungfuKitten

But that's exactly what the people don't want :P Like the guy in Flow said, 21st century will be the century of the common people. It's about the individual against the institution. In every area. I hope people will stand before losing all rights to the companies. It'll be difficult to reclaim our rights, after they have been taken and measures have been taken to prevent that from happening.

Who said that I want physical media? When was the last time you bought a CD? I love Steam and wouldnt want it any other way.
bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#31 bbkkristian
Member since 2008 • 14971 Posts

GFugue
I just used the Speed test online and I'm getting 89 kb/second; thats only with one computer online, with one computer on Farmville and my PS3 online, it goes to about 43 kb/sec. When i leave my PS3 on overnight for a 2gb game, it takes 2 nights. (this is not dial-up)
madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#32 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18252 Posts

And once again Nintendo is showing why they are the best when it comes to videogames :)

CwlHeddwyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 CwlHeddwyn
Member since 2005 • 5314 Posts

[QUOTE="Planeforger"]

[QUOTE="campzor"]people are really naive to think that in our lifetime physical media will be overtaken by digital... facts are... only a handful of countries have the resources to sustain a digital only environment.. and lets face it... not everyone LIKES digital media.. i like going to a store to pick a game..and i like having the disc in my collection.. also... have fun lending ur game to a friend...oh wait...SecretPolice

Winner, winner chicken dinner.

I should have made it clearer in the OP but yes, cost is key and ya gotta wonder if this scenario becomes fact...

DD copy = 25 bucks and the store hard copy = 50 bucks, which one to buy ? Which one will I buy I wonder ?

you try downloading games off Xbox Live. games are £30-£40 a piece. I can go down to a shop and get the same game for like £20. brand new! In fact that's one of the big complains about the games you can buy on xbox live. most are far too expensive.

Ontain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#34 Ontain
Member since 2005 • 25501 Posts
do ppl really want to lose the ability to lend to friends, sell their games, trade, and by used? because that's what will happen when you go all digital. now that might be okay with $1 songs but for $60 games that's pretty harsh.
bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#35 bbkkristian
Member since 2008 • 14971 Posts
[QUOTE="Ontain"]do ppl really want to lose the ability to lend to friends, sell their games, trade, and by used? because that's what will happen when you go all digital. now that might be okay with $1 songs but for $60 games that's pretty harsh.

I never thought of this that way. Kudos to you.
CwlHeddwyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 CwlHeddwyn
Member since 2005 • 5314 Posts
[QUOTE="bbkkristian"][QUOTE="Ontain"]do ppl really want to lose the ability to lend to friends, sell their games, trade, and by used? because that's what will happen when you go all digital. now that might be okay with $1 songs but for $60 games that's pretty harsh.

I never thought of this that way. Kudos to you.

also with Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo controlling things you will see that older games will retain their value. As I've said already. You download a year old game from games on demand. you pay full price or near to it. You go to the store it will be reduced.
edidili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 edidili
Member since 2004 • 3449 Posts

do ppl really want to lose the ability to lend to friends, sell their games, trade, and by used? because that's what will happen when you go all digital. now that might be okay with $1 songs but for $60 games that's pretty harsh.Ontain

Well those are some of the greatest reasons why we pay 60$ in the first place.

jaymillsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 jaymillsy
do ppl really want to lose the ability to lend to friends, sell their games, trade, and by used? because that's what will happen when you go all digital. now that might be okay with $1 songs but for $60 games that's pretty harsh.Ontain
Look, I agree with you it sucks but there isnt anything we can do about it, the things you listed are the very things that these companies dont want.
dc337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 dc337

[QUOTE="Ontain"]do ppl really want to lose the ability to lend to friends, sell their games, trade, and by used? because that's what will happen when you go all digital. now that might be okay with $1 songs but for $60 games that's pretty harsh.jaymillsy
Look, I agree with you it sucks but there isnt anything we can do about it, the things you listed are the very things that these companies dont want.

You can vote with your wallet. I've never bought a $50 digital copy of a pc game. I won't support it. I also won't buy $50 retail pc games that require Steam or have a limited number of installs.

catfishmoon23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 catfishmoon23
Member since 2005 • 5197 Posts

Which is why they are offering the Virtual Console and WiiWare and not relying solely on retail releases? :|foxhound_fox

That's not what they're saying though :|

There's a difference between saying"We have been very clearly communicating for a long time that the packaged software or retail market is the one that's going to drive the mass market,"and, "physical media is the only distribution type we're using/going to use".

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#41 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts
I just can't imagine a world without stores and items on shelves.
PC_Otter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 PC_Otter
Member since 2010 • 1623 Posts

This just in: Wii 2 to have a full GB of Flash ROM!

/Kidding

As much as I love physical media, Nintendo needs to get on board with the idea that they should fully support direct downloads of full games for the next system. Unless Nintendo plans to stick a very large amount of Flash ROM into their next home console, it will need a harddrive. A hardrive is beneficial as a data cache device too, though that is just a fix for not having enough RAM.

Every Nintendo published game needs to be available in disc and direct download, with the DD version being a bit cheaper to encourage sales over that medium, and for the lack of needing material to create the product and selling it in stores.

Mrmccormo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Mrmccormo
Member since 2011 • 870 Posts
I enjoy the prospect of digital downloads, but people forget that its popularity on PC (which is what people point to in order to say it is teh futurez) has very little to do with ease-of-use or any distinct advantage. The reason why DD has blossomed on PC is mainly due to publishers wanting a better method of curbing piracy and the disappearance of PC games from the retail scene. Until console games have a MAJOR reduction in presence in retail stores, then physical media will continue to dominate.
PC_Otter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 PC_Otter
I enjoy the prospect of digital downloads, but people forget that its popularity on PC (which is what people point to in order to say it is teh futurez) has very little to do with ease-of-use or any distinct advantage. The reason why DD has blossomed on PC is mainly due to publishers wanting a better method of curbing piracy and the disappearance of PC games from the retail scene. Until console games have a MAJOR reduction in presence in retail stores, then physical media will continue to dominate.Mrmccormo
That is why you offer both and limit physical media print runs to curb used game sales.
StealthSting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 StealthSting
Member since 2006 • 6915 Posts

Being skeptical that physical media will be replaced entirely by digital media in a few years time is not unreasonable. Completely rulling out the possibility of that ever happening on the other hand would be.

Mrmccormo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Mrmccormo
[QUOTE="Mrmccormo"]I enjoy the prospect of digital downloads, but people forget that its popularity on PC (which is what people point to in order to say it is teh futurez) has very little to do with ease-of-use or any distinct advantage. The reason why DD has blossomed on PC is mainly due to publishers wanting a better method of curbing piracy and the disappearance of PC games from the retail scene. Until console games have a MAJOR reduction in presence in retail stores, then physical media will continue to dominate.PC_Otter
That is why you offer both and limit physical media print runs to curb used game sales.

Nah, that doesn't do anything more than limit your potential customers. When nearly every major console game stops selling in the millions with retail releases, then perhaps publishers will consider your option.
PC_Otter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 PC_Otter
[QUOTE="PC_Otter"][QUOTE="Mrmccormo"]I enjoy the prospect of digital downloads, but people forget that its popularity on PC (which is what people point to in order to say it is teh futurez) has very little to do with ease-of-use or any distinct advantage. The reason why DD has blossomed on PC is mainly due to publishers wanting a better method of curbing piracy and the disappearance of PC games from the retail scene. Until console games have a MAJOR reduction in presence in retail stores, then physical media will continue to dominate.Mrmccormo

Nah, that doesn't do anything more than limit your potential customers. When nearly every major console game stops selling in the millions with retail releases, then perhaps publishers will consider your option.

If you get out to the common people playing games on consoles that direct download is to there benefit, people would consider it more heavily. Depending on how fast your internet connection, it's faster and cheaper to just DD a game than drive to a store if the game isn't too large (like over 5 GB). "Why waste time and gas driving to the store when you can directly download a game. While you download, you can spend time doing something else?" "Why pay more, when the DD game costs you less, and comes with digital instructions, support, etc?" "Why deal with the idiot at the game store when you have a pretty good idea of what you are doing?" "Why fumble with storing and finding physical discs, when the game is already there on your system's hard drive?" I'm going to do a test to see how long it takes me to download Dead Space (7700 MB in size) over Steam on my 12 MBit connection. It's 3:39 PM Central right now.
Avatar image for deactivated-5f26ef21d6f71
deactivated-5f26ef21d6f71

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 deactivated-5f26ef21d6f71
Member since 2006 • 2521 Posts

Good to hear.

Personally, I prefer my hard copies of Games, Music & Movies.

However, the latter, I've been watching far too much Netflix :(

Mrmccormo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Mrmccormo
[QUOTE="PC_Otter"] If you get out to the common people playing games on consoles that direct download is to there benefit, people would consider it more heavily. Depending on how fast your internet connection, it's faster and cheaper to just DD a game than drive to a store if the game isn't too large (like over 5 GB). "Why waste time and gas driving to the store when you can directly download a game. While you download, you can spend time doing something else?" "Why pay more, when the DD game costs you less, and comes with digital instructions, support, etc?" "Why deal with the idiot at the game store when you have a pretty good idea of what you are doing?" "Why fumble with storing and finding physical discs, when the game is already there on your system's hard drive?" I'm going to do a test to see how long it takes me to download Dead Space (7700 MB in size) over Steam on my 12 MBit connection. It's 3:39 PM Central right now.

I'm fully aware of the inherent advantages of DD. I hope you're aware of the overwhelming approval of physical media for the majority of people, as is evidenced by the sales of physical games and physical movies (physical CD music has, however, taken a sharp drop, though vinyl sales have greatly increased). The masses aren't going to switch over to digital-only for quite a number of years.
Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Hexagon_777
Member since 2007 • 20348 Posts

I don't care if physical media is here to stay. If it keeps people from whining, sure, keep it. What I absolutely want, however, is that every game that has a physical release sees a digital release as well. The PC is the only platform so far that has fulfilled this need of mine.