Nintendo: Physical media is here to stay

• 67 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

PC_Otter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 PC_Otter
Member since 2010 • 1623 Posts

[QUOTE="PC_Otter"] If you get out to the common people playing games on consoles that direct download is to there benefit, people would consider it more heavily. Depending on how fast your internet connection, it's faster and cheaper to just DD a game than drive to a store if the game isn't too large (like over 5 GB). "Why waste time and gas driving to the store when you can directly download a game. While you download, you can spend time doing something else?" "Why pay more, when the DD game costs you less, and comes with digital instructions, support, etc?" "Why deal with the idiot at the game store when you have a pretty good idea of what you are doing?" "Why fumble with storing and finding physical discs, when the game is already there on your system's hard drive?" I'm going to do a test to see how long it takes me to download Dead Space (7700 MB in size) over Steam on my 12 MBit connection. It's 3:39 PM Central right now.Mrmccormo
I'm fully aware of the inherent advantages of DD. I hope you're aware of the overwhelming approval of physical media for the majority of people, as is evidenced by the sales of physical games and physical movies (physical CD music has, however, taken a sharp drop, though vinyl sales have greatly increased). The masses aren't going to switch over to digital-only for quite a number of years.

I will admit to sticking to mostly physical media for my PC games, but DD always looks very good in my eyes especially when I have a tough time finding a game on physical media without having to resort to Amazon. The original FEAR is very difficult to find, and I had to get it off of Direct 2 Drive. Bear in mind this was before it was available on Steam.

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52 Hexagon_777
Member since 2007 • 20348 Posts

[QUOTE="campzor"]people are really naive to think that in our lifetime physical media will be overtaken by digital... facts are... only a handful of countries have the resources to sustain a digital only environment.. and lets face it... not everyone LIKES digital media.. i like going to a store to pick a game..and i like having the disc in my collection.. also... have fun lending ur game to a friend...oh wait...Planeforger
I think the main thing stopping digital distribution from taking over is that the console's online stores are run entirely by either Sony, Microsoft or Nintendo, meaning that there's no competition and they can charge what they want.

That is entirely untrue. They cannot charge what they want. Like you said, there will be Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo. They still compete with one another, do they not? That's like saying that Valve can charge what they want because they run Steam and won't let GOG into Steam to compete. It doesn't make sense.

Even when disregarding that point, you still have Electronic Arts, Activision, THQ, Square Enix, Konami and other publishers that have to push their games out to consumers and entice them not only with the quality of the game, but the price as well. There are also the developers that don't have publishers that will benefit from the more cost efficient channel of distribution, thus allowing for perhaps more competition than before.

SapSacPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#53 SapSacPrime
Member since 2004 • 8925 Posts

Even though every game except one I am playing at the moment was purchased through steam I can't disagree with Nintendo here, physical media will always be available I think and its a good job when you look at Microsofts DD full games or the fact Nintendo has never dropped their VC prices after all these years.

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 Hexagon_777

[QUOTE="GFugue"]Nintendo's actually the most likely to go DD on a console of their own, since they publish most of the games that come out on the Wii and could make a DD service of their own.

And to those who claim that downloading huge files takes too long, I can usually get more than a few dozen GBs worth in ~eight hours, and I have a 30 MBit connection.ThePlothole

Uh, 30 MBits is relatively fast in most places. For instance the majority of internet connections in the United States are below 4MBits.

Out of the 51 states in the US, only Alaska has an average connection speed that goes below 4 Mbps, though. :shock:

coltsfan4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 coltsfan4ever
Member since 2006 • 2628 Posts

Physical media will never die.

ThePlothole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 ThePlothole
Member since 2007 • 11515 Posts
[QUOTE="jaymillsy"] But this is exactly what they are trying to get away from, they don't want people to trade games etc they want them to buy new. DD is coming, dont be delusional.

I don't care what they're trying to get away from. Reselling items owned is a right guaranteed to consumers by the copyright law. These digital services shouldn't even be using terms like "buy" when referring to the acquisition of digital content, since that term dishonestly implies ownership.

Anyway, even if the NIGHTMARE of a 100% DD world does come true one day, that day is a lot farther off than you might think. There just isn't adequate infrastructure. The infrastructure won't be adequate in a decade. It probably won't adequate in two decades.
ThePlothole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 ThePlothole

Out of the 51 states in the US, only Alaska has an average connection speed that goes below 4 Mbps, though. :shock:

Hexagon_777

I'm pretty sure that 68% of American Internet users don't live in Alaska. Because that is the percentage that the FCC has stated to not meet their minimum guideline for a true broadband connection, which is 4MBits.

Believe it or not a lot of people still use dial-up. In much of the United States that and satellite are your only two options... With satellite being expensive and still operating well below the aforementioned guideline. Also many DSL users only have a basic connection, which typically again is below that 4MBits.

PS there are currently 50 states, not 51.

jwsoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#58 jwsoul
Member since 2005 • 5468 Posts
[QUOTE="campzor"]people are really naive to think that in our lifetime physical media will be overtaken by digital... facts are... only a handful of countries have the resources to sustain a digital only environment.. and lets face it... not everyone LIKES digital media.. i like going to a store to pick a game..and i like having the disc in my collection.. also... have fun lending ur game to a friend...oh wait...

Last part made me smile :P
Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 Hexagon_777

[QUOTE="Hexagon_777"]

ThePlothole

I'm pretty sure that 68% of American Internet users don't live in Alaska. Because that is the percentage that the FCC has stated to not meet their minimum guideline for a true broadband connection, which is 4MBits.

Believe it or not a lot of people still use dial-up. In much of the United States that and satellite are your only two options... With satellite being expensive and still operating well below the aforementioned guideline. Also many DSL users only have a basic connection, which typically again is below that 4MBits.

PS there are currently 50 states, not 51.

But...:(

dontshackzmii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#60 dontshackzmii
Member since 2009 • 6026 Posts

digital games are lame it Will be the end of colleting games .

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 Hexagon_777

digital games are lame it Will be the end of colleting games .dontshackzmii
It will be the end of collecting discs, cartridges, and boxes. Games will continue to be collected.

mccoyca112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#62 mccoyca112
Member since 2007 • 5434 Posts

Physical media will be around in the long run, but thats not to say DD wont become more common. I like DD other than issues of space, which in terms of this gen, is only a problem on my 360 since I still have the runt of the litter HDD. I think both will stick around in the end.

fueled-system

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 fueled-system
Member since 2008 • 6529 Posts

Physical media in terms of games will stay. Games are far different from dvd's and cd's and I am just amazed that people really would think digital would overtake it.

edidili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 edidili
Member since 2004 • 3449 Posts

digital games are lame it Will be the end of colleting games .

dontshackzmii

Well for me lame is collecting boxes, discs and other useless stuff like that.

dontshackzmii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#65 dontshackzmii
Member since 2009 • 6026 Posts

[QUOTE="dontshackzmii"]digital games are lame it Will be the end of colleting games .Hexagon_777

It will be the end of collecting discs, cartridges, and boxes. Games will continue to be collected.

digital content cant be collected its about as fun as collecting wolf skins in wow . Having something real is the only way !

PatchMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#66 PatchMaster
Member since 2003 • 6013 Posts

Ninty caters to casuals and casuals tend to be less tech savy. If they weretargeting the "hardcore" market than ignoring digital distribution wouldprobably be a mistake.But since they're not, they can probably get away with sticking to tried-and-true methods next gen.

ThePlothole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 ThePlothole

But...:(

Hexagon_777

Clearly something is skewing those results.

And DC is not a state.