New Super Mario Bros. 2 IGN Review

• 175 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

SuperFlakeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 SuperFlakeman
Member since 2011 • 7411 Posts

Both the text and the score are exactly what I pictured when I read the thread title lol

SuperFlakeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52 SuperFlakeman

I expect 7.5 here. Doesn't even seem like Ninty tried.

ActicEdge

They didn't. NSMB 2 is made by a team of newbies, NSMB U is the real deal though as far as NSMB games go.

There is still EAD Tokyo's Wii U 3D Mario to look forward to, that one has to be GOTY quality, highly original and aimed for gaming enthusiasts, anything but that is a disappointment!

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#53 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

[QUOTE="ActicEdge"]

SuperFlakeman

They didn't. NSMB 2 is made by a team of newbies, NSMB U is the real deal though as far as NSMB games go.

There is still EAD Tokyo's Wii U 3D Mario to look forward to, that one has to be GOTY quality, highly original and aimed for gaming enthusiasts, anything but that is a disappointment!

Are you joking? NSMBWU Looks like more of the same crapola. The word NEW on that title is a joke.
SuperFlakeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 SuperFlakeman

[QUOTE="SuperFlakeman"]

[QUOTE="ActicEdge"]

Bread_or_Decide

I Decided to eat Bread

Cool story bro

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

[QUOTE="Blabadon"]Rehash/10. Really wish the 3DS got better or fresher Mario platformers. Shinobishyguy

3d land came out just last year

Repeat: Really wish the 3DS got better or fresher mario platformers.
SuperFlakeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 SuperFlakeman

Sooo... you eat a burger and its amazing..... then years later, you are served the same awesome burger and you **** and wine about getting more awesome burgers?

New Super Mario Bros is a great great 2D platformer..... more of the same? YES PLEASE.

Only downfall I see is that its over too fast.... but since I"m the kind of person who takes enjoyment in besting my own records / and others', then I think I will get lots out of my purchase.

moistsandwich

If you try to find all secrets in the game and gather every coin star you usually get plenty of gameplay time, especially the Wii version. New to NSMB 2 is the coin collection aspect and coin rush mode, so if you enjoy the game completionists have to gather 1 million coins for a special prize, plus in the future more levels will be available through DLC (hopefully you can buy them with in game coins aswell, that would be amazing)

AtariKidX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#57 AtariKidX
Member since 2010 • 7156 Posts

[QUOTE="Blabadon"]Rehash/10. Really wish the 3DS got better or fresher Mario platformers. Shinobishyguy

3D land is just a mario galaxy game for the 3DS......nothing really new.
Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#58 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts
[QUOTE="Shinobishyguy"]

[QUOTE="Blabadon"]Rehash/10. Really wish the 3DS got better or fresher Mario platformers. AtariKidX

And this here folks is an example of a f*cktard who doesn't know what he's talking about.
Kaszilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 Kaszilla
Member since 2011 • 1841 Posts
6.0-7.0 here
Kell_the_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 Kell_the_Gamer
Member since 2012 • 885 Posts
People still care about review scores given by idiots who just happened to be paid for it?
sandbox3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 sandbox3d
Member since 2010 • 5166 Posts

Hopefully it gets 6.0 on GS. Seems like IGN overrated the game when reading their own review (what a surprise), hopefully GS gives it a more appropriate score.

GD1551

I guess you played it since you know what an appropriate score is then? Please send the game my way since you obviously didn't enjoy it.

Kaszilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 Kaszilla

[QUOTE="Shinobishyguy"]

[QUOTE="Blabadon"]Rehash/10. Really wish the 3DS got better or fresher Mario platformers. AtariKidX

[color=red]Uncharted Golden Abyss is just a UC2/3 game for the Vita.....nothing really new.[/color]

E_Razr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 E_Razr
Member since 2012 • 44 Posts

[QUOTE="themajormayor"]Should be more like a 4. This is why girls shouldn't review games. This is the one reviewing Dark Souls as well. Obviously she should be working with something else. Like for example being a principle in a high school. If she has the qualifications of course.free_milk
she gave darks souls a good score if im correct.and keep in mind ign seems to over rate games eg. skyword sword,mario 3d land,uncharted 3. They dont have high standards like gamespot.

:lol: I hope you're joking :lol:

ispeakfact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 ispeakfact
Member since 2011 • 5317 Posts
I'm no fan of Call of Duty (never owned a single title) but I'm just curious. Why do gamers rake CoD over the coals for never changing, but Nintendo titles, specifically Mario here, seems to get a pass? Seriously...look at this footage. How many Mario titles have you seen look exactly like this?
Kaszilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 Kaszilla
I'm no fan of Call of Duty (never owned a single title) but I'm just curious. Why do gamers rake CoD over the coals for never changing, but Nintendo titles, specifically Mario here, seems to get a pass? Seriously...look at this footage. How many Mario titles have you seen look exactly like this?ispeakfact
[color=green]Finally you make a good point. I agree that this game is nothing new but that doesn't make the game bad neccessarily.[/color]
sandbox3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 sandbox3d
Member since 2010 • 5166 Posts

I'm no fan of Call of Duty (never owned a single title) but I'm just curious. Why do gamers rake CoD over the coals for never changing, but Nintendo titles, specifically Mario here, seems to get a pass? Seriously...look at this footage. How many Mario titles have you seen look exactly like this?ispeakfact

Its not really getting a free pass though. Just as the review says Mario has always managed to reinvent itself. Looks aside, SMB played different than SMB2, than SMB3, than SMW, than SMW2, than SM64, than Sunshine, than SMG. All these games were very different. SMG2 was not so different from SMG at the core, but it was just so much better in every way. I don't think people will be upset when the heavily borrowed game happens to be one of the best of all time.

NSMB though? Yes these games are far too similar and soulless and they arent really getting the free pass, not from Nintendo fans. But then it comes down to the fact that the games are still rock solid, have some of the best 2d platforming around and the level design is always top notch. So how do you judge that. Do you go crazy over it and shower it with praise because its a rock solid platformer with outstanding level design? Or do you slam it for being a bit too similar to the previous titles?

How would you approach reviewing this game?

Edit: and btw... this still isnt really comparable to CoD. CoD has had what 8 games this gen, some of them garbage?

NSMB is only now getting its 3rd and upcoming 4th game, across 4 different platforms. And so far they've been solid.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#67 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

Which is why I said what I said. I'm not comparing it directly to Galaxy or 64 DS, but it just felt like the 2D games in a 3D perspective but really short, plain, and with Mario/Luigi controlling like tanks. I hope we get a true 3D Mario platformer on the system soon.
Avatar image for TheShadowLord07
TheShadowLord07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 TheShadowLord07
Member since 2006 • 23083 Posts

beacause cod is yearly franchise according to there agruement.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 Blabadon
[QUOTE="Shinobishyguy"]

If it was, it would be a 9.0-9.5 game easily. It's a 7.5 otherwise for me.
moistsandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 moistsandwich
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

I've never seen a Mario game that looks exactly like it.... and I've played every Mario platformer that exists.

I've seen 4 or 5 that resemble it.....

OH MY 4 or 5 games in the past 25 years that are similar...... Geez Ninty cmon!

Meanwhile we have how many CoD games this gen? CoD 2, CoD 3, CoD 4, CoD WaW, CoD 4 MW2, CoD Blops, CoD MW3... and soon CoD Blops2.... so... thats 8 games this generation vs. 4 or 5 since Mario became a household name.

SMB 3, Super Mario World, New Super Mario Bros, NSMB Wii..... and now NSMB 2.... if I'm forgetting some... please let me know.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 Blabadon
First of all, CoD is aimed at a more mature audience so it has more players than Mario, which is aimed at younger audiences (although that has never stopped me). Second, it doesn't change as much as the Mario 3D platformers do (2D haven't changed in a while). I don't mind this, but it doesn't really scream improvement or quality like Mario 3D platformers do. I beat 64 (and 64DS), SMG, SMG2, and out of all of those they have something unique that can set them apart enough from each other to be innovative while improving on the last one. I just got Sunshine and it follows that pattern too. Here's hoping you're open for actual discussion.
Zeviander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#73 Zeviander
Member since 2011 • 9503 Posts
The NSMB series has always been about appealing directly to the nostalgia brought on by the original Super Mario Bros. Expecting them to reinvent the Mario "wheel" as it were, is incredibly misplaced anticipation.
Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 Shinobishyguy
Member since 2006 • 22928 Posts

[QUOTE="Shinobishyguy"]

[QUOTE="Blabadon"]Rehash/10. Really wish the 3DS got better or fresher Mario platformers. Blabadon

Which is why I said what I said. I'm not comparing it directly to Galaxy or 64 DS, but it just felt like the 2D games in a 3D perspective but really short, plain, and with Mario/Luigi controlling like tanks. I hope we get a true 3D Mario platformer on the system soon.

controlling like tanks? What game did you even play?

Plus there's really no other mario game like it.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 Blabadon

[QUOTE="Blabadon"][QUOTE="Shinobishyguy"] 3d land came out just last year

Shinobishyguy

I spent the entire 7 hours it took me to finish up to World 8 having issues with controls until I played SMG and SM64DS again and they controlled much smoother. I also hate the lack of double/triple jump, backflip having to be charged, and the long jump being nigh impossible to do all with the terrible sprint button that hurt my thumb. I hope there aren't any more Mario platformers like it, unless they take the concept of this game and expand it significantly with more polish.
Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 Shinobishyguy

[QUOTE="Shinobishyguy"]

[QUOTE="Blabadon"] Which is why I said what I said. I'm not comparing it directly to Galaxy or 64 DS, but it just felt like the 2D games in a 3D perspective but really short, plain, and with Mario/Luigi controlling like tanks. I hope we get a true 3D Mario platformer on the system soon.Blabadon

I spent the entire 7 hours it took me to finish up to World 8 having issues with controls until I played SMG and SM64DS again and they controlled much smoother. I also hate the lack of double/triple jump, backflip having to be charged, and the long jump being nigh impossible to do all with the terrible sprint button that hurt my thumb. I hope there aren't any more Mario platformers like it, unless they take the concept of this game and expand it significantly with more polish.

:lol: SM64 ds controls smoothly compared to it? A 3d platformer controlled with a d-pad?

It had great levels and it's one the few games on the system that actually makes great use of the 3d effect.

There was actual creativity put into it, something that this title lacks

Avatar image for deactivated-5c072abf2e969
deactivated-5c072abf2e969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 deactivated-5c072abf2e969
Member since 2009 • 249 Posts

It looks like the same stuff they have been regurgitating for years. Atleast make your game a little more complex. Then again it is Nintendo, so I am asking too much of them.

GamerEye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#78 GamerEye
Member since 2011 • 1607 Posts

about what I expected. I'll still be getting it though.

GD1551

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 GD1551
Member since 2011 • 9645 Posts

[QUOTE="GD1551"]

Hopefully it gets 6.0 on GS. Seems like IGN overrated the game when reading their own review (what a surprise), hopefully GS gives it a more appropriate score.

sandbox3d

I guess you played it since you know what an appropriate score is then? Please send the game my way since you obviously didn't enjoy it.

The review says its a straight up rehash, play one you play all.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 Blabadon

[QUOTE="Blabadon"][QUOTE="Shinobishyguy"] controlling like tanks? What game did you even play?

Shinobishyguy

:lol: SM64 ds controls smoothly compared to it? A 3d platformer controlled with a d-pad?

It had great levels and it's one the few games on the system that actually makes great use of the 3d effect.

Even with a D-Pad it felt smoother than 3D Land. It did have good and fun levels, but the 3D effect, as awesome as it is in those rooms, still isn't a factor in making the game more fun for me. I played SM3DL before SMG2, which is why I was shocked at how many "new" ideas I found in SM3DL were actually originated in SMG2. That's not anything I have against it though. At least we both agree NSMB2 doesn't seem too innovative.
Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 Blabadon

It looks like the same stuff they have been regurgitating for years. Atleast make your game a little more complex. Then again it is Nintendo, so I am asking too much of them.

Glutenbob
How many stars did you get in Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2?
thom_maytees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 thom_maytees
Member since 2010 • 3668 Posts

I am not surprised that IGN will gave the game a 8.5. I have predicted it will do so before reading the review.

Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 Shinobishyguy

[QUOTE="Shinobishyguy"]

[QUOTE="Blabadon"] I spent the entire 7 hours it took me to finish up to World 8 having issues with controls until I played SMG and SM64DS again and they controlled much smoother. I also hate the lack of double/triple jump, backflip having to be charged, and the long jump being nigh impossible to do all with the terrible sprint button that hurt my thumb. I hope there aren't any more Mario platformers like it, unless they take the concept of this game and expand it significantly with more polish.Blabadon

Even with a D-Pad it felt smoother than 3D Land. It did have good and fun levels, but the 3D effect, as awesome as it is in those rooms, still isn't a factor in making the game more fun for me. I played SM3DL before SMG2, which is why I was shocked at how many "new" ideas I found in SM3DL were actually originated in SMG2. That's not anything I have against it though. At least we both agree NSMB2 doesn't seem too innovative.

well you have to atleast concede that it was the first mario game to really combine both the 2d and 3d playing styles

(and SM64 DS's movement was clunky as hell comapred to 3d land, I have no idea what you're going on about)

wiifan001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#84 wiifan001
Member since 2007 • 18660 Posts
Gamespot scored super mario land 8.0 No way this game will score 8.0 here
meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 meetroid8
Member since 2005 • 21152 Posts

Sounds about right.

charizard1605
Pretty much.
Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 Blabadon

[QUOTE="Blabadon"][QUOTE="Shinobishyguy"]:lol: SM64 ds controls smoothly compared to it? A 3d platformer controlled with a d-pad?

Shinobishyguy

well you have to atleast concede that it was the first mario game to really combine both the 2d and 3d playing styles

(and SM64 DS's movement was clunky as hell comapred to 3d land, I have no idea what you're going on about)

Of course it was, maybe that's why it didn't meet my expectations. I would have liked the 3D emphasis with a 2D gameplay sty le like SMG 2 had.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 deactivated-5c072abf2e969
[QUOTE="Glutenbob"]

Blabadon

In Galaxy 1 I only did the 120 cos I thought it was stupid to play the same game again, just with Luigi. In Galaxy 2 I got all 242 of them.
Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 Blabadon
[QUOTE="Blabadon"][QUOTE="Glutenbob"]

Glutenbob

In Galaxy 1 I only did the 120 cos I thought it was stupid to play the same game again, just with Luigi. In Galaxy 2 I got all 242 of them.

I did the same thing in 1 and plan on that for 2, seems like you're a legimate poster, my apologies. What exactly do you mean by complex? The Galaxy games weren't complex but were challenging as hell at times.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 deactivated-5c072abf2e969

[QUOTE="Glutenbob"][QUOTE="Blabadon"] How many stars did you get in Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2?Blabadon

I did the same thing in 1 and plan on that for 2, seems like you're a legimate poster, my apologies. What exactly do you mean by complex? The Galaxy games weren't complex but were challenging as hell at times.

I was referring to New Super Mario Bros. The Galaxy games are excellent and imaginative. That is what I meant by complex. However, Nintendo seems to be taking the easy way out with their New Super Mario Bros series, and regurgitating levels with a few tweaks here and there. Even if the geometry of the level is different, it just doesn't feel imaginative.

Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 Shinobishyguy
[QUOTE="Shinobishyguy"]

[QUOTE="Blabadon"] Even with a D-Pad it felt smoother than 3D Land. It did have good and fun levels, but the 3D effect, as awesome as it is in those rooms, still isn't a factor in making the game more fun for me. I played SM3DL before SMG2, which is why I was shocked at how many "new" ideas I found in SM3DL were actually originated in SMG2. That's not anything I have against it though. At least we both agree NSMB2 doesn't seem too innovative.Blabadon

Of course it was, maybe that's why it didn't meet my expectations. I would have liked the 3D emphasis with a 2D gameplay sty le like SMG 2 had.

well thats all fine and good, but what they were really aiming for was something that could be played in short bursts. I'd say that 3d land nailed that
OreoMilkshake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#91 OreoMilkshake
Member since 2009 • 12833 Posts
8.0 or more here. It has to at least be as good as 3D Land.
Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 Blabadon
[QUOTE="Blabadon"][QUOTE="Shinobishyguy"] well you have to atleast concede that it was the first mario game to really combine both the 2d and 3d playing styles

Shinobishyguy

well thats all fine and good, but what they were really aiming for was something that could be played in short bursts. I'd say that 3d land nailed that

Thing that makes me wonder is how short bursts. The game's levels are really really short but very difficult too on occasions. I had more fun with SM64DS in short bursts.
Avatar image for PinnacleGamingP
PinnacleGamingP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 PinnacleGamingP
Member since 2012 • 5120 Posts
its-a-me, Adem Jensen
themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 themajormayor
Member since 2011 • 25729 Posts
[QUOTE="themajormayor"]Should be more like a 4. This is why girls shouldn't review games. This is the one reviewing Dark Souls as well. Obviously she should be working with something else. Like for example being a principle in a high school. If she has the qualifications of course.free_milk
she gave darks souls a good score if im correct.and keep in mind ign seems to over rate games eg. skyword sword,mario 3d land,uncharted 3. They dont have high standards like gamespot.

Dark Souls definitely belongs to that list
themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 themajormayor

[QUOTE="themajormayor"]Should be more like a 4. This is why girls shouldn't review games. This is the one reviewing Dark Souls as well. Obviously she should be working with something else. Like for example being a principle in a high school. If she has the qualifications of course.Captain_Lorelli

Honestly, why do you even post? Sexism in a gaming forum...?..How original. Even if it satirical in nature..it's still trashy and ignorant.

How is it sexist?
PinnacleGamingP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 PinnacleGamingP
[QUOTE="themajormayor"][QUOTE="Captain_Lorelli"]

Should be more like a 4. This is why girls shouldn't review games. This is the one reviewing Dark Souls as well. Obviously she should be working with something else. Like for example being a principle in a high school. If she has the qualifications of course.themajormayor

Honestly, why do you even post? Sexism in a gaming forum...?..How original. Even if it satirical in nature..it's still trashy and ignorant.

How is it sexist?

cuz it seems you dont give a f*ck about saving princess peach
themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 themajormayor
[QUOTE="PinnacleGamingP"][QUOTE="themajormayor"][QUOTE="Captain_Lorelli"]

How is it sexist?

stereotypes cuz it seems you dont give a f*ck about saving princess peach

Speaking of which. How come the girl is weak and defenseless and gets abducted but the man is strong and saves her? Typical gender steretoypes.
PinnacleGamingP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 PinnacleGamingP
[QUOTE="PinnacleGamingP"][QUOTE="themajormayor"] How is it sexist? themajormayor
stereotypes cuz it seems you dont give a f*ck about saving princess peach

Speaking of which. How come the girl is weak and defenseless and gets abducted but the man is strong and saves her? Typical gender steretoypes.

i dont know but im in the same boat as you id rather find adam jensens gf and get augs for jumps then to here bowsers bs
christiankhs-2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 christiankhs-2
Member since 2011 • 156 Posts

the worst thing is that this was the most innovative looking "new super mario" between this and the WiiU one

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#100 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49606 Posts
But this is IGN. >.>