MS new "apple'esque" commercial

This topic is locked from further discussion.

RoboThreat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 RoboThreat
Member since 2008 • 439 Posts

Kinect is great. Haters gonna Hate.

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

hmm, believe ps3 guys about kinect or believe doctors.

"Is a $100,000 system being outsmarted by a $150 toy?" he asked. "Indeed this is the case." He also referred to its usage as a "tremendous step forwards."

"Something we can do three years down the line, we can do it today because of technology that was destined for the gaming industry," he said. "I don't think Microsoft has realized that [Kinect] is something that could change medicine."

http://www.1up.com/news/kinect-medical-research

it may be lame for games but :lol:

heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#53 heretrix
Member since 2004 • 37881 Posts
Um..Bomb disposal? Yeah right.
Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#54 Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15584 Posts

I would not trust my doctor to perform surgery with kinect.

I would not trust the bomb squad to disarm a bomb with kinect.

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 Riverwolf007

[QUOTE="CanYouDiglt"]

[QUOTE="Peredith"]

Reality:

Peredith

or

Dr. Calvin Law demonstrates the use of the Microsoft Xbox Kinect, during a simulated procedure, to control and scroll through CT images during surgery.Doug Nicholson/MediaSource

Funny how much energy the Sony fans spend trying to discredit somethingt they will never play anyways.

I thought this was a gaming forum, not a hospital forum. :? The PS3 can be linked up to form a super computer, it still renders games at subhd.

not after sony removed other os from it it can't.

arbitor365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#56 arbitor365
Member since 2009 • 2726 Posts

now they want to be like apple. a bunch of pretentious, overindulgent, egomaniacs who believe that their mediocre technology is somehow the most revolutionary thing to grace the human race since the printing press.

what is all this nonsense with voice commands, playing an an invisible violin, and controlling a robot arm? is this really what gamers have been asking for? is this what microsoft thinks the xbox360 is about? wasnt the xbox360 a game console at some point? i kinda miss those days.

mexicangordo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 mexicangordo
Member since 2005 • 8687 Posts

Awesome commercial, MS are marketing geniuses. Too bad I like the commercial way more than I like Kinect.

Austindro

How are they marketing geniuses when they just copy Nintendo and Apple? :?

And I can't honestly believe people are defending the Kinect....The thought of the product was good but from a gaming and execution standpoint it was a complete failure.

kuraimen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 kuraimen
Member since 2010 • 28078 Posts

[QUOTE="Peredith"]

[QUOTE="CanYouDiglt"]or

Dr. Calvin Law demonstrates the use of the Microsoft Xbox Kinect, during a simulated procedure, to control and scroll through CT images during surgery.Doug Nicholson/MediaSource

Funny how much energy the Sony fans spend trying to discredit somethingt they will never play anyways.

Riverwolf007

I thought this was a gaming forum, not a hospital forum. :? The PS3 can be linked up to form a super computer, it still renders games at subhd.

You can if you use a custom firmware or if you don't upgrade your firmware.

ohthemanatee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#59 ohthemanatee
Member since 2010 • 8104 Posts

[QUOTE="WilliamRLBaker"][QUOTE="Peredith"]

If only Kinect was like that in reality :lol:

Peredith

there are many other things people are using kinect for.. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinect#Software Doctors have used it http://money.canoe.ca/money/business/international/archives/2011/03/20110321-170757.html Military is looking into it http://www.examiner.com/game-news-in-national/military-to-use-kinect-for-recon-missions

Xbox 360 gamers are doctors now? :lol:

*facepalms*

because kinect can only be used on the xbox?

ShadowriverUB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 ShadowriverUB
Member since 2009 • 5515 Posts

[QUOTE="Peredith"]

[QUOTE="CanYouDiglt"]or

Riverwolf007

If you updated the firmware

GD1551

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 GD1551
Member since 2011 • 9645 Posts

I couldn't help but think of this picture when I saw that ad.

ohthemanatee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 ohthemanatee
Lol at people still falling for tech demos. Defusing a bomb with Kinect LMAO! Milo says hi ;)kuraimen
so following your logic: if a Ps3 game is canceled then the PS3 has no games? seriously what does Milo have to do with whathever applications the military is using kinect for?
Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 Riverwolf007

[QUOTE="Austindro"]

Awesome commercial, MS are marketing geniuses. Too bad I like the commercial way more than I like Kinect.

mexicangordo

How are they marketing geniuses when they just copy Nintendo and Apple? :?

And I can't honestly believe people are defending the Kinect....The thought of the product was good but from a gaming and execution standpoint it was a complete failure.

yeah, why in gods name would you ever defend something researchers are saying is "a tremendous step forward" and "could change medicine"

gawd! look at the big picture you guys! it's got games we are not interested in!!!! :lol:

"Is a $100,000 system being outsmarted by a $150 toy?" he asked. "Indeed this is the case." He also referred to its usage as a "tremendous step forwards."

"Something we can do three years down the line, we can do it today because of technology that was destined for the gaming industry," he said. "I don't think Microsoft has realized that [Kinect] is something that could change medicine."

http://www.1up.com/news/kinect-medical-research

ForzaGearsFace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 ForzaGearsFace
Member since 2011 • 3724 Posts
Guys you realize this is pretty much the commercial for sdk2 kinect Pc version. Also lol it is true in 2007 you heard about revolutionary home and how the ps3 can cure cancer. Cows are definitely jealous of kinect
arbitor365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#65 arbitor365
Member since 2009 • 2726 Posts

does anyone here actually believe that the kinect is going to catch on in the medical industry as a standard device, that it will revolutionize robotics, or that it will be a suitable replacement for actual musical instruments?

are people really buying into thispropaganda that much? have people really drank that much of the kool aid?

mrmusicman247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 mrmusicman247
Member since 2008 • 17601 Posts

does anyone here actually believe that the kinect is going to catch on in the medical industry as a standard device, that it will revolutionize robotics, or that it will be a suitable replacement for actual musical instruments.

arbitor365
Yes to the first one. I'm telling you. Give it a few years.
ohthemanatee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 ohthemanatee

does anyone here actually believe that the kinect is going to catch on in the medical industry as a standard device, that it will revolutionize robotics, or that it will be a suitable replacement for actual musical instruments.

arbitor365

so your argument is: never try to improve something?

kuraimen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 kuraimen

GD1551

LOL. Imagine that for surgery.

Doc: "Kinect, make a 3 mm incision"

Kinect: "Removing heart"

Doc: "ljds#"$"#534@3#$%%&isdhfih"

stvee101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 stvee101
Member since 2006 • 2953 Posts

GD1551

Oh man! :lol:

kuraimen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 kuraimen
[QUOTE="kuraimen"]Lol at people still falling for tech demos. Defusing a bomb with Kinect LMAO! Milo says hi ;)ohthemanatee
so following your logic: if a Ps3 game is canceled then the PS3 has no games? seriously what does Milo have to do with whathever applications the military is using kinect for?

The promises behind Milo were similar to this. According to MS Milo could detect and understand natural speech, detect objects and interact with them, etc. Of course that was all BS, the tech Milo used has been available since well before Kinect. That's why it was scraped, it didn't live up to the ridiculous promises and it didn't do much new.
Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 Riverwolf007

does anyone here actually believe that the kinect is going to catch on in the medical industry as a standard device, that it will revolutionize robotics, or that it will be a suitable replacement for actual musical instruments?

are people really buying into thispropaganda that much? have people really drank that much of the kool aid?

arbitor365

lol, does anyone really believe you can use a laser for surgery? ha ha your doctor gonna be luke skywalker!!! herp!

seriously though, don't feel so bad, it's just technology maybe nothing will ever come of it but then again they way things have gone in the past maybe a version of it will be integrated into all kinds of things in the future.

you can never really know.

kuraimen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 kuraimen

arbitor365
I think the tech has potential, not Kinect itself but the 3D camera tech. But 3D cameras like that are nothing new, MS didn't invent them. Sony even did some tech demos in the past with them way before MS mentioned Natal. The technology can be good for things like that in the future but right now I don't think so.
AcidSoldner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 AcidSoldner
Member since 2007 • 7051 Posts
Too bad the motion tracking portrayed in that commercial is complete bulls***. Playing piano and violin you say? Kinect wouldn't even recognize half of my hand movements when I was playing table tennis on Kinect Sports.
Avatar image for deactivated-61cc564148ef4
deactivated-61cc564148ef4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 deactivated-61cc564148ef4
Member since 2007 • 10909 Posts

Nice ad. My experience with Kinect has been alright, when I made adjustments in the living room it's been great, but you need alot of damn space.

It is very apple-esque, and is that Nolan North talking?

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 Riverwolf007

after looking up some more on this i found live (xbl? lol) surgeries are already being performed with kinect.

"Surgeons at Sunnybrook hospital are employing video-game technology to scroll through medical images during operations, using nothing more than hand gestures resembling tai chi.

An engineering team used a Microsoft Xbox Kinect, a hands-free gaming console, to allow doctors to quickly access MRIs and CT scans without leaving the sterile field around the patient.

"What this was able to do is take away that last barrier and remove the mouse, remove the interface . . . and now I just give it hand signs," said Dr. Calvin Law, a surgical oncologist. "We're able to control the computer without actually touching anything."

http://www.healthzone.ca/health/newsfeatures/article/960393--video-game-technology-tried-in-operating-room?bn=1

Moriarity_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 Moriarity_
Member since 2011 • 1332 Posts
I wouldn't trust kinect with any sort of precision work. Maybe once the technology advances and becomes more accurate I would be ok with it but as it is now I would sue if my doctor tried to perform surgery using that thing.
kuraimen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 kuraimen

after looking up some more on this i found live (xbl? lol) surgeries are already being performed with kinect.

"Surgeons at Sunnybrook hospital are employing video-game technology to scroll through medical images during operations, using nothing more than hand gestures resembling tai chi.

An engineering team used a Microsoft Xbox Kinect, a hands-free gaming console, to allow doctors to quickly access MRIs and CT scans without leaving the sterile field around the patient.

"What this was able to do is take away that last barrier and remove the mouse, remove the interface . . . and now I just give it hand signs," said Dr. Calvin Law, a surgical oncologist. "We're able to control the computer without actually touching anything."

http://www.healthzone.ca/health/newsfeatures/article/960393--video-game-technology-tried-in-operating-room?bn=1

Riverwolf007
That is being used to pass slides with pictures. You could do that with the PSEye or any normal camera with the software to detct movement. Of course the camera in kinect is more accurate but that's nothing impressive.
Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 Riverwolf007

I wouldn't trust kinect with any sort of precision work. Maybe once the technology advances and becomes more accurate I would be ok with it but as it is now I would sue if my doctor tried to perform surgery using that thing.Moriarity_
yeah, that's exactly what they are doing... hooking you up to an xbox and then everyone leaves for lunch and a smoke break.

GD1551

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 GD1551
Member since 2011 • 9645 Posts

Riverwolf007

The surgery isn't performed using kinect. Scrolling through the MRIs and CT scans is though.

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 Riverwolf007

[QUOTE="Riverwolf007"]

kuraimen

That is being used to pass slides with pictures. You could do that with the PSEye or any normal camera with the software to detct movement. Of course the camera in kinect is more accurate but that's nothing impressive.

well sure i guess the doctor could wear that big red orb on his nose or something.

it would allow hands free page turning and give the hospital a friendly clowny type of vibe.

anyway yes there are onter workarounds for this type of stuff but what they are actually using during live surgey is kinect.

ForzaGearsFace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 ForzaGearsFace
[QUOTE="Riverwolf007"]

kuraimen

I love this you can do it with the ps eye but nothing is ever made like this using pseye
Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 Riverwolf007

[QUOTE="Riverwolf007"]

GD1551

The surgery isn't performed using kinect. Scrolling through the MRIs and CT scans is though.

yah i kinda got that from the part in the story where they say "Surgeons at Sunnybrook hospital are employing video-game technology to scroll through medical images during operations, using nothing more than hand gestures resembling tai chi.

in sw tools you use to complete a surgery do not count?

kinda like games we don't like?

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 Riverwolf007

[QUOTE="kuraimen"][QUOTE="Riverwolf007"]

ForzaGearsFace

I love this you can do it with the ps eye but nothing is ever made like this using pseye

when they tried it with eye a tiny dragon from eye of judgement jumped on the guys chest and got in a fight with his spleen.

kuraimen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 kuraimen

[QUOTE="GD1551"]

[QUOTE="Riverwolf007"]

Riverwolf007

yah i kinda got that from the part in the story where they say "Surgeons at Sunnybrook hospital are employing video-game technology to scroll through medical images during operations, using nothing more than hand gestures resembling tai chi.

Then why did you say that sugeries are being performed using Kinect?? :|
BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#85 BPoole96
Member since 2008 • 22818 Posts

But can it be used to navigate a 3D environment without being on-rails?

ohthemanatee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 ohthemanatee

[QUOTE="ohthemanatee"][QUOTE="kuraimen"]Lol at people still falling for tech demos. Defusing a bomb with Kinect LMAO! Milo says hi ;)kuraimen

The promises behind Milo were similar to this. According to MS Milo could detect and understand natural speech, detect objects and interact with them, etc. Of course that was all BS, the tech Milo used has been available since well before Kinect. That's why it was scraped, it didn't live up to the ridiculous promises and it didn't do much new.

actually the tech was used for kinectimals

ohthemanatee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 ohthemanatee

[QUOTE="Riverwolf007"]

[QUOTE="GD1551"]

kuraimen

what did you think they were doing it with Kinect? using is a scalpel?

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 Riverwolf007

[QUOTE="Riverwolf007"]

[QUOTE="GD1551"]

kuraimen

i'm not getting your point here. did the handwash not help complete the surgery?

did the xray or mri not help complete the surgery?

tools you use during a surgery don't count unless they get blood on them?

kuraimen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 kuraimen

[QUOTE="kuraimen"][QUOTE="ohthemanatee"] so following your logic: if a Ps3 game is canceled then the PS3 has no games? seriously what does Milo have to do with whathever applications the military is using kinect for?ohthemanatee

Oh really can the Kinectimals understand what I say to them in natural language? Well that must be the most incredible breakthrough in science since Einstein's relativity theory or something since they just solved all the problematics of mechanizing sintax, semantics and pragmatics of the natural language in a kids game. Pretty impressive.
ohthemanatee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 ohthemanatee

[QUOTE="ohthemanatee"]

[QUOTE="kuraimen"] The promises behind Milo were similar to this. According to MS Milo could detect and understand natural speech, detect objects and interact with them, etc. Of course that was all BS, the tech Milo used has been available since well before Kinect. That's why it was scraped, it didn't live up to the ridiculous promises and it didn't do much new.kuraimen

Oh really can the Kinectimals understand what I say to them in natural language? Well that must be the most incredible breakthrough in science since Einstein's relativity theory or something since they just solved all the problematics of mechanizing sintax, semantics and pragmatics of the natural language in a kids game. Pretty impressive.

actually yes, the kinectimals do understand basic words and commands act accordingly

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 Riverwolf007

[QUOTE="kuraimen"][QUOTE="Riverwolf007"]yah i kinda got that from the part in the story where they say "Surgeons at Sunnybrook hospital are employing video-game technology to scroll through medical images during operations, using nothing more than hand gestures resembling tai chi.

ohthemanatee

here comes the anesthesiologist with a big heavy kinect camera lookout!

ForzaGearsFace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 ForzaGearsFace

[QUOTE="kuraimen"][QUOTE="ohthemanatee"]

ohthemanatee

actually yes, the kinectimals do understand basic words and commands act accordingly

Seems like kuriman would love kinect if Sony didn't pass on the technology
kuraimen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 kuraimen

[QUOTE="kuraimen"][QUOTE="Riverwolf007"]yah i kinda got that from the part in the story where they say "Surgeons at Sunnybrook hospital are employing video-game technology to scroll through medical images during operations, using nothing more than hand gestures resembling tai chi.

ohthemanatee

That's what "using it to perform surgeries" suggest. And in the add they show a sequence using it to defuse bombs which could be equivalent precision-wise to performing a surgery. Don't blame me, it's in that add. But in reality it is actually good to pass some slides WHILE performing surgery or while eating cheetos I don't know.
ohthemanatee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 ohthemanatee

[QUOTE="ohthemanatee"]

[QUOTE="kuraimen"] Then why did you say that sugeries are being performed using Kinect?? :|kuraimen

That's what "using it to perform surgeries" suggest. And in the add they show a sequence using it to defuse bombs which could be equivalent precision-wise to performing a surgery. Don't blame me, it's in that add. But in reality it is actually good to pass some slides WHILE performing surgery or while eating cheetos I don't know.

so in other words you're angry because you misinterpreted a post and you're angry because the kinect can be useful in difusing bombs?

kuraimen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 kuraimen

ohthemanatee

Understanding basic words has been done by software programs since like the 80s. Understanding natural language is a much different animal. And that's what MS' smoke and mirrors show promised.
ohthemanatee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 ohthemanatee

[QUOTE="ohthemanatee"]

[QUOTE="kuraimen"] Oh really can the Kinectimals understand what I say to them in natural language? Well that must be the most incredible breakthrough in science since Einstein's relativity theory or something since they just solved all the problematics of mechanizing sintax, semantics and pragmatics of the natural language in a kids game. Pretty impressive.ForzaGearsFace

Seems like kuriman would love kinect if Sony didn't pass on the technology

well that goes without saying

ForzaGearsFace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 ForzaGearsFace

ohthemanatee

so in other words you're angry because you misinterpreted a post and you're angry because the kinect can be useful in difusing bombs?

:lol: please stop
ohthemanatee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 ohthemanatee

[QUOTE="ohthemanatee"]

[QUOTE="kuraimen"] Oh really can the Kinectimals understand what I say to them in natural language? Well that must be the most incredible breakthrough in science since Einstein's relativity theory or something since they just solved all the problematics of mechanizing sintax, semantics and pragmatics of the natural language in a kids game. Pretty impressive.kuraimen

Understanding basic words has been done by software programs since like the 80s. Understanding natural language is a much different animal. And that's what MS' smoke and mirrors show promised.

and playing videogames has been done by consoles since the 70's why do we need a PS3 again?

ForzaGearsFace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 ForzaGearsFace

ohthemanatee

and playing videogames has been done by consoles since the 70's why do we need a PS3 again?

Lol great point have me laughing over here
kuraimen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 kuraimen

ohthemanatee

First of all I'm not angrey. And second why put the phrase "using it to perform surgeries" is used? because THAT would be impressive. But putting "Kinect is being used to pass some slides while doing a surgery" is not so impressive. Just setting things straight for people who easily fall for this kind of ridiculous exaggerations.