MS has Halo Master Chief, Nintendo has Mario Bros, What does PS3 Have?

• 172 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Filthybastrd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101 Filthybastrd
Member since 2009 • 7124 Posts

As far as characters go, both Sbnake and Kratos beat Mc and Mario.....

Quality of the franchises are up for discussion but MC is just superman in a tin can and Mario...... Well..... He does'nt really need an explanation.

dragonfly110

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#102 dragonfly110
Member since 2008 • 27955 Posts

There mascot seems to change every gen, and its always unofficial, the unofficial PS1 one was the ape escape monkies, PS2 Jak and Daxter, and at least to me this gen' are Sackboy and Nathan Drake.

nhh18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103 nhh18
Member since 2009 • 6538 Posts

[QUOTE="nhh18"]

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

23 months but who's counting?

Also the XBOX needed the add ons to make the DVD drive work for playback while the PS2 did it out of the box.

2 years of being the cheapest DVD player on the market made the first 2 years so inflated. Sony was lucky enough to launch the PS2 just when DVD's became the mainstream.

That was their mascot, not the bunch of unknowns they have now

Sony tried to make the BluRay it's mascot for this gen but it didn't work out

Jaysonguy

You are comparing the japan to the pal. North america 12 months after, and 16 months after in european. Not 23 months. And the reason why it outsold the console 5:1 wasn't because it was a dvd player. They were both dvd players, and the lead by then was about 20 million difference. 20 MILLION. The reason why is because gran turismo 3, Grand theft auto series, MGS2, and Kingdom hearts. All these games sold 8 million + which are similar to halo numbers. The games on ps2 console didn't have lead characters except sold snake except their name. Grand theft auto is a bigger franchise than halo. Gran turismo is a bigger franchise than halo and kingdom heatrs sold a little less than halo. But then there is guitar hero, and other games which also had their own games which sold well too. God of war, Ratchet and clank, jak series all sold well.

No, that's not the history at all

The two things Sony had going for it was full support for the PS1 and DVD player that they touted as free

XBOX had neither of those.

I'm talking in Japan for the console launch because that's the widest margin for DVD players. In order to get a quality DVD player in Japan during the time between the PS2 and XBOX launch you'd have to pay almost twice the price of the PS2. Even bottom barrel players were more expensive then the PS2.

It's interesting how you keep on bringing up games when they had nothing to do with the PS2 sales, it was the other way around.

Companies saw the spike that happened with the PS2 and wanted their games on it, not the other way around.

Sony thought this gen everyone would run out and support it's mascot BluRay and then companies would be knocking down their doors wanting to make games for Sony's BluRay player. Sony misjudged the want and need for BluRay and devs decided to go elsewhere for their games.

Now Sony has had to ditch their mascot BluRay and their pickings for a new one is pretty scarce with the titles they now have.

No. It had most of the main franchises and now the wii, xbox 360, and ps3 has these 3rd party games. I mean dragon quest expands a different market than grand theft auto. And grand turismo expands a different market than both of those games. You saying that the main reason why it sold better was because of a dvd. Then why did 80% of software sales come from ps2. Why was the software sales per console sold the same as xbox and gamecube. The main reason why ps3 hasn't obtained the same success is because the 3rd party exclusives that they once had (guitar hero, grand theft auto, final fantasy, tekken, etc) are now on xbox 360 and wii. And the casual market which bought the movie tie-ins, guitar hero, etc are now at the wii. So yes ps3 did poorly not because the blu-ray hasn't taken off (which doesn't matter much) but mostly because the price tag and low console sales at the beginning caused 3rd party to ditch the ps3.

Fraquelli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104 Fraquelli
Member since 2005 • 688 Posts

Id have to go with Kratos.

EVERYBODY knows Mario. Period

As for Kratos vs MC, that really depends on which country/region you live in.

MC is obviously much more popular in the US for example.
But here in Brazil, Im pretty sure many more people know Kratos and never even heard of MC. Action Adventure games are more popular then FPSs here.

DeadEndPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105 DeadEndPanda
Member since 2008 • 2358 Posts

[QUOTE="MrHenadonia"]

I'll go with Kratos. Snake has never been a exclusive character.

Haseokicksass

Actually, he has. Only games with Raiden as the main character have gone on the Xbox.

reserch is needed if you dont know about its games.

metal gear was on MANY consoles

even with snake as a main character.

GCN,PS2,Xbox,GameBoy ect

Fraquelli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106 Fraquelli
Member since 2005 • 688 Posts

the unofficial PS1 one was the ape escape monkies

dragonfly110

Im pretty sure it was Crash Bandicoot, actually

Avatar image for RideUrLightning
RideUrLightning

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107 RideUrLightning
Member since 2009 • 72 Posts
*facepalm*
Darkmoone1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#108 Darkmoone1
Member since 2008 • 2845 Posts

*facepalm*RideUrLightning

And...that's for?

dragonfly110

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#109 dragonfly110
Member since 2008 • 27955 Posts

[QUOTE="dragonfly110"]

the unofficial PS1 one was the ape escape monkies

Fraquelli

Im pretty sure it was Crash Bandicoot, actually

Crash? I wouldnt say so, I always considered the Ape escape monkies more iconic to the PS1 then Crash was.

RideUrLightning

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 RideUrLightning

[QUOTE="RideUrLightning"]*facepalm*Darkmoone1

And...that's for?

For the TC being a fanboy lol how could you say that Sony has no mascot? If he means exclusively this gen, I guess I understand, but Snake could easily be considered the mascot this gen, or the sackboy.
PS2_ROCKS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 PS2_ROCKS
Member since 2003 • 4679 Posts

I suppose when a companies devs actually come up with new ideas each gen it's hard to stick to one incredibly milked mascot.

Darkmoone1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 Darkmoone1
Member since 2008 • 2845 Posts

[QUOTE="Darkmoone1"]

[QUOTE="RideUrLightning"]*facepalm*RideUrLightning

And...that's for?

For the TC being a fanboy lol how could you say that Sony has no mascot? If he means exclusively this gen, I guess I understand, but Snake could easily be considered the mascot this gen, or the sackboy.

oh I see. :lol: Yeah it's impossible to say Sony has no Mascot, but it is true that they like to switch mascots everytime they realease a new console.

WWIAB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#113 WWIAB
Member since 2006 • 4352 Posts
They used to have Crash Bandicoot and Spyro
mayforcebeyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 mayforcebeyou
Member since 2007 • 2703 Posts
Sony doesn't use mascots like mocrosft and nintendo. Sony just doesn't stick with one guy.
bobcheeseball

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#115 bobcheeseball
Member since 2007 • 9316 Posts

[QUOTE="Darkmoone1"]

[QUOTE="RideUrLightning"]*facepalm*RideUrLightning

And...that's for?

Ah... nope.

This gen Snake made an appearance in Brawl, and he is going to be on he 360 so therefore he wouldnt be consdered as a "mascot"

Revolution316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 Revolution316
Member since 2009 • 2877 Posts

Yes, the PS3 is in lasnt place because it doesn't have a mascot:roll:...does the PS2 have a mascot? i dont think so, but look at that its the most sold console ever.

rmerri52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 rmerri52
Member since 2007 • 1824 Posts
Kratos, Sackboy, Ratchet, Hale, Drake.
Revolution316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 Revolution316
Member since 2009 • 2877 Posts

[QUOTE="RideUrLightning"][QUOTE="Darkmoone1"]

And...that's for?

bobcheeseball

Ah... nope.

This gen Snake made an appearance in Brawl, and he is going to be on he 360 so therefore he wouldnt be consdered as a "mascot"

snake will never be on the 360 buddy. only raiden.

Microdevine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 Microdevine
Member since 2008 • 1126 Posts

id have to go with kratos for sony. snake isnt exclusive, and drake is just wayyyyyyy to generic. he's just an average guy. which i think fits the games well, but he doesnt stick out well enough to be a mascot for a console.

TaMuK711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 TaMuK711
Member since 2009 • 3367 Posts

Sony has never really had a defined mascot, rather an all around caste of characters. Not really a bad thing, just different from the norm, I wish Spyro had stuck, his first three games were awesome, and the new ones are horrible:(

DeadEndPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 DeadEndPanda
Member since 2008 • 2358 Posts

[QUOTE="bobcheeseball"]

[QUOTE="RideUrLightning"] For the TC being a fanboy lol how could you say that Sony has no mascot? If he means exclusively this gen, I guess I understand, but Snake could easily be considered the mascot this gen, or the sackboy.Revolution316

Ah... nope.

never say never.

he was on the xbox so...:roll:

Avatar image for chunkymonkey313
chunkymonkey313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 chunkymonkey313
Member since 2009 • 329 Posts
snake isnt exclusive
RideUrLightning

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 RideUrLightning

[QUOTE="bobcheeseball"]

[QUOTE="RideUrLightning"] For the TC being a fanboy lol how could you say that Sony has no mascot? If he means exclusively this gen, I guess I understand, but Snake could easily be considered the mascot this gen, or the sackboy.Revolution316

Ah... nope.

Good point.
ms555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#124 ms555
Member since 2007 • 2665 Posts

GOD OF WAR guy? Snake? I mean these guys have nothing on Master Chief, or Mario, and the proof is in the pudding. Just look at sales and hype, nothing comes even close to Mario, or Master Chief on the PS3. Maybe thats why its in last place....

PrimusGears
lbp sackboy..... duh (lol)
p2250

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 p2250
Member since 2003 • 1520 Posts

Master Cheif looks like a Power Ranger

Rockman999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 Rockman999
Member since 2005 • 7507 Posts

Sales and hype? This is Sony's mascot.

TintedEyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 TintedEyes
Member since 2009 • 4769 Posts

Sales and hype? This is Sony's mascot.

Rockman999

jessmaster13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#128 jessmaster13
Member since 2009 • 3170 Posts

Well they don't have one anymore it seems, but it used to be Crash Bandicoot. Maybeit will be Drake, or a whole new character.

Cicatraz_ESP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 Cicatraz_ESP
Member since 2006 • 1993 Posts

[QUOTE="navyguy21"]I think Drake is the new face of the PS3, and Naughty Dog deserves itheretrix

If he isn't he should be.Nate only problem is he's too ordinary designwise. He needs spikey hair and a oversized sword to be recognizable. He's just some (awesome) dude.

I think his charecter design is perfect, no armored covered body or magical staff (:P), just an average dude saving the world. He is def. my favorite new charecter this gen.

GodofBigMacs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 GodofBigMacs
Member since 2008 • 6440 Posts

GOD OF WAR guy? Snake? I mean these guys have nothing on Master Chief, or Mario, and the proof is in the pudding. Just look at sales and hype, nothing comes even close to Mario, or Master Chief on the PS3. Maybe thats why its in last place....

PrimusGears
LMAO. You're a funny one.
aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

Ps3 have more variety than just one game/hero...

Only hype 360 got is for halo games, kinda sad :lol:

DealRogers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 DealRogers
Member since 2005 • 4589 Posts
[QUOTE="PrimusGears"]

[QUOTE="tonitorsi"]

Kratos. Followed by Drake.

Drake maybe could be, ill give you that, but still nothing compared to the big boys!!!! KRATOS? lol nah, he is done...

Just because Sony doesn't spam 1 or 2 games of the same series every year doesn't mean that they don't have recognized characters.
Wings_008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 173

#133 Wings_008
Member since 2008 • 3813 Posts
i think it's snake, kratos is always late to arrive i mean this is 2009 and there is still no GOW, and the original was launched in 2005 so Snake is the man
SPYDER0416

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#134 SPYDER0416
Member since 2008 • 16736 Posts

I have to say, I was asking myself that question. Xbox and Nintendo have an edge because they have been able to maintain their mascots since their first consoles, with Sony it could have been Crash Bandicoot, but then the game became multiplat and crappy, then Jak and Daxter went MIA. Solid Snake would be one if the series really was 100% exclusive, but I think Kratos really is the top mascot. Why wouldn't he be? He's pretty awesome and a far cry from many game heroes, Nathan Drake is also pretty awesome but he's much newer.

So yeah, Kratos. You have to admit, he is probably the coolest Anti-Hero character in a game, I love Master Chief and Mario, but morally ambiguous Kratos can't be beat in coolness. Sackboy also manages to cover the kid mascot front, he is pretty memorable.

heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135 heretrix
Member since 2004 • 37881 Posts

[QUOTE="heretrix"]

[QUOTE="navyguy21"]I think Drake is the new face of the PS3, and Naughty Dog deserves itCicatraz_ESP

If he isn't he should be.Nate only problem is he's too ordinary designwise. He needs spikey hair and a oversized sword to be recognizable. He's just some (awesome) dude.

I think his charecter design is perfect, no armored covered body or magical staff (:P), just an average dude saving the world. He is def. my favorite new charecter this gen.

He's way up there for me also along withg Cmdr Shepard and Wrex from Mass Effect..

ReaperV7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136 ReaperV7
Member since 2008 • 6756 Posts
ps3 has many characters....not just one...
PrimusGears

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137 PrimusGears
Member since 2008 • 1594 Posts

Ps3 have more variety than just one game/hero...

Only hype 360 got is for halo games, kinda sad :lol:

aroxx_ab

um lol ok....Marcus fenix is more variety for ya there buddy....

Next-Gen-Tec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138 Next-Gen-Tec
Member since 2009 • 4623 Posts

tonitorsi
I wouldn't really see them as mascots.
heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139 heretrix
Member since 2004 • 37881 Posts

[QUOTE="tonitorsi"]

Next-Gen-Tec

I wouldn't really see them as mascots.

Yeah, that's the problem in this thread. People are confusing popular characters with Mascots. I don't even think of Master Chief as a mascot. Halo is popular as a game first and as a vehicle for the Master Chief second. There aren't too many characters these days that are the face of a particular platform like Mario or Sonic were to their respective consoles.

The industry is a lot more sophisticated than that now, especially with them trying to be more like the movie industry rather than the toy industry. It's kind of why efforts to create a mascot -Sony tried with sackboy, but that wasn't as successful (time will tell) as they had hoped.

Mascots are unneccessary if you are selling your games like movies. You can't sell your system to everyone if you are identifing your product to a specific demographic, which is what mascots are for.

Avatar image for deactivated-598fc45371265
deactivated-598fc45371265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140 deactivated-598fc45371265
Member since 2008 • 13247 Posts

PrimusGears

They did fine without a 'mascot' last gen and the gen before..... >_>

applefan1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141 applefan1991  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 3397 Posts
Sony doesnt go for the one BIG GUY. (u know trhe one they can always milk?) but they do have 1. Drake 2. Kratos 3. Hale 4. Ratchet & Clank 5. jak and Daxter (used to have Crash Bandicoot, and Spyro)
Generalmojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#142 Generalmojo
Member since 2008 • 3670 Posts

Kratos

Snake

Sackboy

Ratchet

Helghast Soldier

Drake

Avatar image for deactivated-598fc45371265
deactivated-598fc45371265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143 deactivated-598fc45371265
Member since 2008 • 13247 Posts

Kratos

Snake

Sackboy

Ratchet

Helghast Soldier

Drake

Generalmojo

quark

...simply outdoes them all.

n00bkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144 n00bkid
Member since 2006 • 4163 Posts
How about drake?
Mythomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145 Mythomniac
Member since 2009 • 1695 Posts

These

etc

gameofthering

These.

Mr_Apple_Soup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#146 Mr_Apple_Soup
Member since 2006 • 3580 Posts

Why do people forgot about R&C? Out of all of Sony's current characters, I'd think they're easily the most recognizable (not that its saying much)

Ribnarak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147 Ribnarak
Member since 2008 • 2299 Posts

Hmm, does ratched and clank ring a bell?

Kratos

Nathan Drake

Cole Mcgrath

All of these characters have more personality than your Master Chief, but i ahve to say that nIntendo beats them all.

Ribnarak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148 Ribnarak
Member since 2008 • 2299 Posts

Lol yeah captain Qwark owns them alll.

lolwotrickroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points