Most Overrated game of all Time. Mine's Zelda OoT

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Shielder7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 Shielder7
Member since 2006 • 5191 Posts

I think we all can agree that the first Zelda game was a gem, but for me it's been pretty much downhill ever since. Not a downhill spiral by any means, but a slow drawn out repetitive one. OoT was probably my biggest disappointment in the series; it wasn't a bad game buy any means, but a 10/10 I don't think so more like a 7.5/10 and I'm being generous.

The story felt kinda flat and didn't really fit in well with the series at the time "now it's all just all complete mess".

The whole music thing I never really got and just found it annoying.

The ending was blaa and to tell the truth I never really understood it or maybe I just don't want to.

The lack of voice acting is understandable considering this is the N64 days, but other Zelda games after it have no excuse.

The game play was good but static to say the least.

To me OoT was repetitive enough to feel stale, but different enough so not to hit that Nostalgia spot. Like I said it wasn't a bad game by any means, but hardly anything innoventive and certainly not the best game of all time I wouldn't even consider it the best Zelda game not even in my top 5.

Your most Overrated game?

Squall18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#2 Squall18
Member since 2004 • 3756 Posts

Ok, I actually some what agree.

I think if we played it RIGHT when it came out, we would've been blown away. I beat it 5 years after.

For me, it's Half Life 2. GREAT game, but not godly like some people make it out to be.

felipebo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 felipebo
Member since 2009 • 4170 Posts

A Zelda game being called repetitive... now I just have to hear the US killed Osama and I'll have seen everything.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#4 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

I think we all can agree that the first Zelda game was a gem, but for me it's been pretty much downhill ever since. Not a downhill spiral by any means, but a slow drawn out repetitive one. OoT was probably my biggest disappointment in the series; it wasn't a bad game buy any means, but a 10/10 I don't think so more like a 7.5/10 and I'm being generous.

The story felt kinda flat and didn't really fit in well with the series at the time "now it's all just all complete mess".

The ending was blaa and to tell the truth I never really understood it or maybe I just don't want to.

The lack of voice acting is understandable considering this is the N64 days, but other Zelda games after it have no excuse.

To me OoT was repetitive enough to feel stale, but different enough so not to hit that Nostalgia spot. Like I said it wasn't a bad game by any means, but hardly anything innoventive and certainly not the best game of all time I wouldn't even consider it the best Zelda game not even in my top 5.

Shielder7

:lol: how old are you? i'm curious.

VendettaRed07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 VendettaRed07
Member since 2007 • 14012 Posts

Not even Orpheus himself could have made a better soundtrack

The level design is absolutely incredible, some of the best dungeon design in game history

Awesome controls... who knew not having a jump button in an adventure game could work so well?

Amazing Variety in every aspect of the game... The songs, weapons, the levels and enemies

God like pacing.. it pushes you through the adventure so well that just before you are either tired or bored of one section you move on to somewhere completely different

Lots of things and missions and objectives to accomplish.

Amazing replay value.

The game is a 10

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#6 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
It may not be the second coming that fanboys make it out to be... but it is far better than you make it out to be. I'd have to say Tetris is the most overrated game. I never once got addicted nor really enjoyed playing it. Now Tetris Attack, that is a killer game.
tomarlyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 tomarlyn
Member since 2005 • 20148 Posts

They're coming...

Mr_Cumberdale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#8 Mr_Cumberdale
Member since 2004 • 10189 Posts
HL2. Nothing impressive about this game at all. And just curious, what music do you like? I'm a fan of catchy tunes from Zelda, Mario, and FF but I also like symphonic songs such as those from Oblivion.
tagyhag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 tagyhag
Member since 2007 • 15874 Posts

1) OoT

2) Half Life 2

3) MGS4

Shielder7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Shielder7

Ok, I actually some what agree.

I think if we played it RIGHT when it came out, we would've been blown away. I beat it 5 years after.

For me, it's Half Life 2. GREAT game, but not godly like some people make it out to be.

Squall18
I actually did palyed/ beat it when it first came out, I was in high school and the one memory that sticks out was "This ending sucks" I think part of the reason people liked it so much was because thry were denied a Zelda game for so long the N64s life was near an end before it came out and by that time diehards would of praised anything by that time, but to be honest I enjoyed the Game Boy Zelda Links Awakening better.
Shielder7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Shielder7
[QUOTE="Mr_Cumberdale"]HL2. Nothing impressive about this game at all. And just curious, what music do you like? I'm a fan of catchy tunes from Zelda, Mario, and FF but I also like symphonic songs such as those from Oblivion.

I'm refering more to the Ocarina BS. As for background music I actualy liked Adventures of Link the best, but unlike alot of people I actually liked that game not as good as the first but in my top 3.
cain006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#12 cain006
Member since 2008 • 8625 Posts

Half Life 2. It's fun, but not the amazing game a lot of people make it out to be. Mass Effect 2 as well. I don't know why so many people loved this game so much, the story was barely there and I thought Mass Effect was better.

NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 NaveedLife
Member since 2010 • 17179 Posts

NO NO NO. OoT and A Link to The Past are my favorite Zelda games and the series is one of the greatest (my favorite) of all time.

I would say Oblivion is one of the most overrated games of all time. Mass Effect 2 as well, although I loved that game, it is far from what people praise it to be.

PS - your points against OoT are garbage.

Captainqwark10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Captainqwark10
Member since 2011 • 1170 Posts

The level design is absolutely incredible, some of the best dungeon design in game history

Awesome controls... who knew not having a jump button in an adventure game could work so well?

Amazing Variety in every aspect of the game... The songs, weapons, the levels and enemies

God like pacing.. it pushes you through the adventure so well that just before you are either tired or bored of one section you move on to somewhere completely different

Amazing replay value.

The game is a 10

VendettaRed07
Well, I already started typing so: The level design is incredible? There are some places where the level designs look interesting, but most of the dungeons look way too similar to eachother with similar puzzles in each as well. Level Design object wise is a complete mess. Soundtrack? God controls? Horribly slow pacing in the story that pushes you along in a linear fashion when the game world is not linear. Lots of what to accomplish? Replay Value?!?!?!??!!?!?! I think that the opinion on OoT depends on age or what games you played before it because OoT lacked everything people kept telling me it had.
Avatar image for deactivated-594be627b82ba
deactivated-594be627b82ba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#15 deactivated-594be627b82ba
Member since 2006 • 8405 Posts

zelda is probably the most overrated series of all time, I never saw what was the appeal of zelda game back in the nintendo day, still don't see it today

but i think the most overrated game of all time should go to gta 4

alfredooo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 alfredooo
Member since 2007 • 2664 Posts

Shielder7

the ending was great.

[spoiler] basically after killing Ganon, Zelda takes the ocarina and uses it to send Link back in time so he can live all the years he lost after he traveled to the future to kill ganondorf. Zelda and all the survivors stay in a future where there is "peace" but Link and Ganon don't exist. Link is back at the temple of time as a kid. (from which he leaves Hyrule and MM takes place [/spoiler]

when did you play it? just curious because the game pretty much revolutionized third person sword combat so it's hard to label the combat as "static".

Anyways, mine would be HL2. Just didn't like the gunplay, the awful vehicle sections. the storytelling was good but the story was mediocre imo.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17 deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
Member since 2008 • 17476 Posts
No, OoT is god.
BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 BPoole96
Member since 2008 • 22818 Posts

The best game ever made surely isn'y overrated. How dare you speak against OoT :evil:

p3anut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 p3anut
Member since 2005 • 6610 Posts

Did you just play the game yesterday or what? For it's time it deserved every praise it got and to be honest it is still of the best achievements in gaming and game overall.

alfredooo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 alfredooo

[QUOTE="VendettaRed07"]

Amazing replay value.

The game is a 10

Captainqwark10

Well, I already started typing so: The level design is incredible? There are some places where the level designs look interesting, but most of the dungeons look way too similar to eachother with similar puzzles in each as well. Level Design object wise is a complete mess. Soundtrack? God controls? Horribly slow pacing in the story that pushes you along in a linear fashion when the game world is not linear. Lots of what to accomplish? Replay Value?!?!?!??!!?!?! I think that the opinion on OoT depends on age or what games you played before it because OoT lacked everything people kept telling me it had.

I completely disagree about the level design being too similar. I actually think the dungeons are extremely varied. Also, I complettely dissagree about similar puzzles. They can't be similar when there is a new item every dungeon that you use to solve them.

What's wrong witha a linear story? what were you expecting? this isn't an rpg, the story is linear but the game is completely open world. I don't see how this can be negative.

Game is 10. :P

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts
I would like to suggest CoD for most overrated game ever. take your pick on the exact title
painguy1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 painguy1
Member since 2007 • 8686 Posts

A Zelda game being called repetitive... now I just have to hear the US killed Osama and I'll have seen everything.

felipebo

he's dead. Just announced today :P

Shrabsters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Shrabsters
Member since 2010 • 139 Posts
The Zelda series in general or FFVII, but it's more of the characters that are overrated in FFVII so I guess Zelda.
Captainqwark10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Captainqwark10

[QUOTE="Captainqwark10"][QUOTE="VendettaRed07"]

Amazing replay value.

The game is a 10

alfredooo

I completely disagree about the level design being too similar. I actually think the dungeons are extremely varied. Also, I complettely dissagree about similar puzzles. They can't be similar when there is a new item every dungeon that you use to solve them.

What's wrong witha a linear story? what were you expecting? this isn't an rpg, the story is linear but the game is completely open world. I don't see how this can be negative.

Never mentioned Story but ok. Please name me ten things this game did that should have impressed me.

campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts

halo for me, its just an above average fps IMO. ESPECIALLY the multiplayer side of things. Hell red faction 2 had a better multiplayer than halo IMO.

sorry tomarlyn , need to borrow this gif! :P

spookykid143

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 spookykid143
Member since 2009 • 10393 Posts

Half life 1 and 2

Deus Ex

GTA IV

Shielder7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Shielder7
[QUOTE="VendettaRed07"]

Amazing replay value.

The game is a 10

Captainqwark10

I agree completely irronically the first Zelda wasn't linear you could skip right to the 8th dungon if you wanted; granted you wouldn't last very long, but the option was still there and skiping to the 3ed dungon was more than feasible. The replay value was their as well after you beat the game you had to go through the whole thing again, but with every thing messed up. These thing are somthing that was great about the first zelda game, but never seen again like JRPG the Zelda series is cutting out individuality and locking it's self in a static repetitive environment.
svetzenlether

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 svetzenlether
Member since 2003 • 3082 Posts

For me, it has to be the MGS series from 2 onward. I thoroughly enjoyed 1, but 2 drove me up the wall and I couldn't even get 2 hours into 3 or 4.

Followed by GTA IV and Oblivion.

Shielder7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Shielder7

when did you play it? just curious because the game pretty much revolutionized third person sword combat so it's hard to label the combat as "static".

Anyways, mine would be HL2. Just didn't like the gunplay, the awful vehicle sections. the storytelling was good but the story was mediocre imo.

alfredooo

I already answered that 10th post down L2R

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22389 Posts
I would like to suggest CoD for most overrated game ever. take your pick on the exact titledarkspineslayer
Yeah have to agree. Although the first one was good, then Activision killed it.
Avatar image for deactivated-63f6895020e66
deactivated-63f6895020e66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 deactivated-63f6895020e66
Member since 2004 • 21177 Posts
Either HL2 or Deus Ex. To a lesser degree Baldur's Gate 1/2 and Fallout 1/2, considering how badly they've aged.
Avatar image for deactivated-61cc564148ef4
deactivated-61cc564148ef4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#32 deactivated-61cc564148ef4
Member since 2007 • 10909 Posts

I don't find many games over-rated

One over-rated by the GS community is def Mirrors Edge and Metro 2033

Vesica_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#33 Vesica_Prime
Member since 2009 • 7062 Posts

I found OoT to be very overrated albeit still a good game.

gamefan67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#34 gamefan67
Member since 2004 • 10034 Posts
Anything that is popular is overrated. Any game that I dont like is overrated. Im trolling so this is overrated. I guess OoT is overrated since it isnt perfect (no game is), but it was as close as you could get for the time.
mmmwksil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 mmmwksil
Member since 2003 • 16423 Posts

For me, it's a toss up between Bioshock and Final Fantasy VII. The former was so painfully dull it's the only instance where I've had to stop playing or fall asleep with the controller in my hands, and the latter is not a bad game, just overpraised to the point where talking ill of it is grounds for a lynching.

As for OoT points TC mentioned, the game is indeed, like the other two games I chipped in, overrated. There were better Zelda games on the whole, both before and after it. This from a series veteran (doubling as makeshift flame shield).

VideoGameGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 VideoGameGuy
Member since 2002 • 7695 Posts
at the time it came it it was revolutionary and pretty much ensured that 3D games could be great.
alfredooo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 alfredooo

[QUOTE="alfredooo"]

[QUOTE="Captainqwark10"] Well, I already started typing so: The level design is incredible? There are some places where the level designs look interesting, but most of the dungeons look way too similar to eachother with similar puzzles in each as well. Level Design object wise is a complete mess. Soundtrack? God controls? Horribly slow pacing in the story that pushes you along in a linear fashion when the game world is not linear. Lots of what to accomplish? Replay Value?!?!?!??!!?!?! I think that the opinion on OoT depends on age or what games you played before it because OoT lacked everything people kept telling me it had.Captainqwark10

Never mentioned Story but ok. Please name me ten things this game did that should have impressed me.

ten things? ok, i guess....

1. revolutionary sword combat

2. atmosphere

3. soundtrack

4. level desing

5. great bosses

7. great art design costant trought the large open world map

8. enemy design

9. great puzzles in and out of dungeons

10. great sidequests and lots of incetives to explore

11. great use of time travel in both gameplay and story

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts

Half-Life 2 is far, far more overrated than OoT. As is Uncharted 2 and Mass Effect 2.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#39 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41561 Posts
Twilight Princess is all I'm going to say.
789shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 789shadow
Member since 2006 • 20195 Posts

I'm sorry, Osama is dead. Your argument is invalid.

:P

spookykid143

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 spookykid143
Member since 2009 • 10393 Posts

Twilight Princess is all I'm going to say.nintendoboy16
I would have to say this as well,i didn't even finish it.

redskins26rocs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 redskins26rocs
Member since 2009 • 2674 Posts
I think mass effect 2 is overrated, that game was great but I hated how they only cared about the gameplay and not story and rpg elements from the original.
funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts
I de-friend anyone who agrees with TC.
madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18254 Posts

Too bad you didn't like it that much TC, for me is nothing else than the best game ever and my personal favorite game.

Anyway, on topic, I'm tempted to say Red Dead Redemption, great game no doubt, but hardly the master piece that web sites were promising, however, i think i'll go with GTA San Andreas, i just found the game way to boring and pointless, it may be cool to roam the city, but other than that i just get really boring with the game.

Captainqwark10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Captainqwark10

[QUOTE="Captainqwark10"]

[QUOTE="alfredooo"]

alfredooo

2. atmosphere

3. soundtrack

4. level desing

5. great bosses

8. enemy design

1. No game uses the horribly bad collisioning sword combat of which you speak. 2. Most of the game has the same atmosphere with only slight differences when you catually look. 3. Midi files suck. 4. Level design was repetitive. Object placement was ugh, 5.elaborate 6. I see you can't count. 7.There's only one area in the game that is open world. 8.Yes, I want the Block Spider to destroy my Block elf that looks like it only has 4 colors with no detail at all unlike the walls around me which have more detail. 9. Also many of the same puzzles, that are seen not just in this game. 10.There really isn't that many side quests I am afraid. 11. Time Travel in gameplay? Also, time traveling is not new and the story did not use it as well as it should. A few more things: Terrible camera that has no control unless you use the Z button. (Yet some game have no manual camera controls at all but you can manipulate it better.) No personality. Blocky models that sometimes don't match the enviorment. Rehashed designs. 4 frame animations. Terrible aiming. In fact, you will probably miss, even when the target is moving slowly.

Deadbeatcobra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Deadbeatcobra
Member since 2006 • 1913 Posts

[QUOTE="alfredooo"]

[QUOTE="Captainqwark10"] Never mentioned Story but ok. Please name me ten things this game did that should have impressed me.

Captainqwark10

2. atmosphere

3. soundtrack

4. level desing

5. great bosses

8. enemy design

1. No game uses the horribly bad collisioning sword combat of which you speak. 2. Most of the game has the same atmosphere with only slight differences when you catually look. 3. Midi files suck. 4. Level design was repetitive. Object placement was ugh, 5.elaborate 6. I see you can't count. 7.There's only one area in the game that is open world. 8.Yes, I want the Block Spider to destroy my Block elf that looks like it only has 4 colors with no detail at all unlike the walls around me which have more detail. 9. Also many of the same puzzles, that are seen not just in this game. 10.There really isn't that many side quests I am afraid. 11. Time Travel in gameplay? Also, time traveling is not new and the story did not use it as well as it should. A few more things: Terrible camera that has no control unless you use the Z button. (Yet some game have no manual camera controls at all but you can manipulate it better.) No personality. Blocky models that sometimes don't match the enviorment. Rehashed designs. 4 frame animations. Terrible aiming. In fact, you will probably miss, even when the target is moving slowly.

lol.... this post just made my day xD

on topic most overrated game i played was FF7. just dont see what others see when there are other FF games that are better

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18254 Posts

Captainqwark10

I know that everybody has their most overrated game ever and everybody has their reasons, however, having a bad collision? that's just plain wrong.

Captainqwark10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Captainqwark10

[QUOTE="Captainqwark10"]

madsnakehhh

I know that everybody has their most overrated game ever and everybody has their reasons, however, having a bad collision? that's just plain wrong.

You must like COD.
NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 NaveedLife
Member since 2010 • 17179 Posts

[QUOTE="Captainqwark10"]

madsnakehhh

Yep. No idea where this came from. I still think people just love to hate on popular games *shrugs*.

Shielder7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Shielder7

[QUOTE="Captainqwark10"]

[QUOTE="alfredooo"]

alfredooo

2. atmosphere

3. soundtrack

4. level desing

5. great bosses

8. enemy design

Maybe It's a matter of opinion, but most of those things you mentioned failed to impress me. "You also forgot 6 but I'll let that slide"

1. Sword combat was far from revolutionary, it was ok but nothing special in that influenced genre of games like Devil May Cry, or Prince of Persia 2. Zelda 2 for it's time had better combat IMO

2. Atmosphere was Meh I think it faild on alot of levels in that it never sucked you in or made you fell helpless like in Castlevania, Zelda 2 or more recently Demon souls. OoT to me nerver quite knew what atomosphere it wanted to be happy go lucky or dark and drey and ended up being mediocre at both.

3 Sound track was less than Meh for me. That Ocarina music was a pain more than anything.

4. level desing was nothing special

5. "great bosses" opinionated and I've seen better even for the time

6." great art design" opinionated, but it was ok

7. "enemy design" opinionated but ok; nothing to blow you out of the water tho.

8. "great puzzles in and out of dungeons" opinionated and I felt the puzzles to be lacking in number and complexity other zelda games have done a much better job.

9. "great sidequests and lots of incetives to explore" opinionated and I disagree the side quests were lacking and IMO not very fun as well as meaningless.

10. "great use of time travel in both gameplay and story" opinionated and I personally thought it was redundant and just there to add confusion.