Most Overrated game of all Time. Mine's Zelda OoT

This topic is locked from further discussion.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#301 DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

[QUOTE="sandbox3d"]

Hell yeah, CoD is definitely overrated.

But here we are, what 12 or 13 years since the release of OoT and FFVII and they still receive mass worship with no signs of slowing down. I just don't see that happening with any of the CoD titles.

CoD gets the sales and it gets undeserved praise from "professional" critics, but it doesn't get showered with constant praise as much as OoT and FFVII and I really don't believe it will have the same longevity.

sandbox3d

Well, OoT and FF VII are still fun to play. Call of Duty will not be fun to play in ten years.

Well that is an opinion, but it is an opinion that I agree with! :lol:CoD isn't even fun to me now, so I know it wont be 10 years from now lol.

I find OoT and FFVII to be much more enjoyable than any CoD game, but I still think they receive more praise then any game could ever possibly deserve. They are great titles and at the time of release they were jaw dropping amazing. I understood the mass praise back then since those games made most games before them look like antiques, but that time has come and gone imo.

Eh, I don't think so. I can still play OoT and FF VII and have more fun with them than most modern titles. It's not nostalgia talking, it's just that those games hold up. Most games that are that old don't, and no amount of nostalgia will fix that.
sandbox3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#302 sandbox3d
Member since 2010 • 5166 Posts

[QUOTE="sandbox3d"]

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"] Well, OoT and FF VII are still fun to play. Call of Duty will not be fun to play in ten years.

DarkLink77

Well that is an opinion, but it is an opinion that I agree with! :lol:CoD isn't even fun to me now, so I know it wont be 10 years from now lol.

I find OoT and FFVII to be much more enjoyable than any CoD game, but I still think they receive more praise then any game could ever possibly deserve. They are great titles and at the time of release they were jaw dropping amazing. I understood the mass praise back then since those games made most games before them look like antiques, but that time has come and gone imo.

Eh, I don't think so. I can still play OoT and FF VII and have more fun with them than most modern titles. It's not nostalgia talking, it's just that those games hold up. Most games that are that old don't, and no amount of nostalgia will fix that.

No, no, I understand that. I'm not saying nostalgia plays into the enjoyment of those games. I still enjoy playing Super Mario World, Final Fantasy 6, Symphony of the Night, etc.. and it has nothing to do with nostalgia, they are just fun games.

Like you said, those games do hold up and I also have more fun with them than most modern titles. I'm not trying to belittle those games at all, I just believe that no game deserves the amount of praise that those two get; old or new.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#303 DarkLink77

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="sandbox3d"]

sandbox3d

No, no, I understand that. I'm not saying nostalgia plays into the enjoyment of those games. I still enjoy playing Super Mario World, Final Fantasy 6, Symphony of the Night, etc.. and it has nothing to do with nostalgia, they are just fun games.

Like you said, those games do hold up and I also have more fun with them than most modern titles. I'm not trying to belittle those games at all, I just believe that no game deserves the amount of praise that those two get; old or new.

Fair enough. :P
peterw007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#304 peterw007
Member since 2005 • 3653 Posts

Yeah OOT hate usually equates to "I dont like this, I dont like that" when they try and be specific they just make themselves look dumb. Dungeon design, as well as pacing are widely accepted to be what makes it such a classic. If you dont like Ocarina of Time they probably dont like action adventure games in general but people hate its popularity so they try and downplay it in ridiculous ways.

Jolt_counter119

I define a "classic" as a game with incredible polish.

A game that is just so confident about itself, slick, stylish, and unique.

Ocarina of Time, although it introduced a fully explorable, 3D world and innovative combat, feels unpolished when playing it retrospectively.

The sub-par textures (even for the time), slightly loose, buggy controls, and repetitive plot (for a plot-based game) all contributed to this.

It's definitely a great game, there's no doubt about that. The puzzles, level design, and innovations to the long-standing Zelda formula were outstanding.

But playing it today...the modern gamer who isn't blinded by nostalgia just doesn't have the same love for the game.

A classic should be able to hold up for time immemorial. Any gamer, no matter what generation, should be able to try out the game and say "this is awesome."

The very reason we are even having this debate about OoT means that maybe...maybe the game just hasn't aged well.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#305 DarkLink77

[QUOTE="Jolt_counter119"]

Yeah OOT hate usually equates to "I dont like this, I dont like that" when they try and be specific they just make themselves look dumb. Dungeon design, as well as pacing are widely accepted to be what makes it such a classic. If you dont like Ocarina of Time they probably dont like action adventure games in general but people hate its popularity so they try and downplay it in ridiculous ways.

peterw007

I define a "classic" as a game with incredible polish.

A game that is just so confident about itself, slick, stylish, and unique.

Ocarina of Time, although it introduced a fully explorable, 3D world and innovative combat, feels unpolished when playing it retrospectively.

The sub-par textures (even for the time), slightly loose, buggy controls, and repetitive plot (for a plot-based game) all contributed to this.

It's definitely a great game, there's no doubt about that. The puzzles, level design, and innovations to the long-standing Zelda formula were outstanding.

But playing it today...the modern gamer who isn't blinded by nostalgia just doesn't have the same love for the game.

A classic should be able to hold up for time immemorial. Any gamer, no matter what generation, should be able to try out the game and say "this is awesome."

The very reason we are even having this debate about OoT means that maybe...maybe the game just hasn't aged well.

Or maybe you're just a hater, because the plot is by no means repetitive (Name another Zelda game where the actions of the hero unleash the big bad and allow him to conquer the world), and the controls are not buggy at all. I really don't know what game you were playing.
KC_Hokie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#306 KC_Hokie
Member since 2006 • 16099 Posts
Grand Theft Auto IV.
Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#307 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21709 Posts

Wind Waker
GTA
Shadow of the Colossus
Metal Gear Solid
Kingdom Hearts
Final Fantasy
Madden
Final Fight
Turtles in Time
God of War
Panzer Dragoon
Double Dragon
Resident Evil

peterw007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#308 peterw007

Or maybe you're just a hater, because the plot is by no means repetitive (Name another Zelda game where the actions of the hero unleash the big bad and allow him to conquer the world), and the controls are not buggy at all. I really don't know what game you were playing.

DarkLink77

Really? You don't think at all the Z-targeting system can be clunky and unresponsive at times? Well I certainly did.

What about the really finicky horse controls? The ones where if you're not EXACTLY lined up 100% perfectly Epona just runs into the object?

Ocarina of Time has the same, repetitive Zelda formula:

1. Big bad Ganon wants to take over Hyrule

2. Princess Zelda is captured

3. Link saves Zelda and all of Hyrule

I don't mind repetitive or non-existant plots...but when they take themselves too seriously it becomes a bit of a drag after a while.

In my opinion, Majora's Mask was a breath of fresh air.

I'm not a hater. In fact, I love Ocarina of Time. But I don't really think of it as a classic.

It has a couple of flaws which stop it from being the perfect messiah of a game nostalgia keeps touting it to be.

drufeous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#309 drufeous
Member since 2004 • 2535 Posts

Modern Warfare, GTA's minus China Town Wars.

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#310 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

Really? You don't think at all the Z-targeting system can be clunky and unresponsive at times? Well I certainly did.

What about the really finicky horse controls? The ones where if you're not EXACTLY lined up 100% perfectly Epona just runs into the object?

I don't mind repetitive or non-existant plots...but when they take themselves too seriously it becomes a bit of a drag after a while.

I'm not a hater. In fact, I love Ocarina of Time. But I don't really think of it as a classic.

It has a couple of flaws which stop it from being the perfect messiah of a game nostalgia keeps touting it to be.

peterw007

And here i'm playing it for the first time in 2011, after getting my hands on a n64, and i love it. And i'm a PC fanboy at heart.

Does my existence defy logic? Or could it be... that you are wrong.

Games are subjective, weather its Pong or Crysis, if a game is built to be entertaining, it'll find a fanbase, just like that thousand year old game called Chess.

Avian005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#311 Avian005
Member since 2009 • 4112 Posts

The only game I can possibly think is overrated is Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2. That game alone destroyed my enjoyment for the CoD franchise. I can't even play CoD2 anymore.

sandbox3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#312 sandbox3d
Member since 2010 • 5166 Posts

[QUOTE="peterw007"]

Lucianu

And here i'm playing it for the first time in 2011, after getting my hands on a n64, and i love it. And i'm a PC fanboy at heart.

Games are subjective, weather its Pong or Crysis, if a game is built to be entertaining, it'll find a fanbase, just like that thousand year old game called Chess.

lol you have the best emotes. :lol:

And I can relate to your post. I played FFIX for the first time about 2 years back. So far its my favorite RPG this gen and its 11 years old. Fun is fun and that is all there is to it.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#313 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14421 Posts

The entire RPG genre. :P

peterw007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#314 peterw007

Lucianu

For God sakes, I am not arguing OoT isn't awesome, and I am not saying it isn't extremely well designed.

All I'm saying is the game isn't perfect. There are a couple of quirks about the game, and I don't consider it a cla$sic because I personally find them too distracting.

Obviously you disagree. That's perfectly fine. This is an internet forum... one opinion isn't the truth.

Luckily, the remake seems to solve all the irks I have with the old game, so it might have a better chance at perfection.

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#316 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

For God sakes, I am not arguing OoT isn't awesome, and I am not saying it isn't extremely well designed.

All I'm sake is the game isn't perfect. There are a couple of quirks about the game, and I don't consider it a cla$sic because I personally find them too distracting.

Obviously you disagree. That's perfectly fine. This is an internet forum... one opinion isn't the truth.

Luckily, the remake seems to solve all the irks I have with the old game, so it might have a better chance at perfection.

peterw007

No game is perfect i hope people ain't starting to forget that. I can find various flaws in absolutely every single game i've played, even my personal GOAT games.

xXShortroundXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#317 xXShortroundXx
Member since 2011 • 1807 Posts
[QUOTE="Mr_Cumberdale"]HL2. Nothing impressive about this game at all. And just curious, what music do you like? I'm a fan of catchy tunes from Zelda, Mario, and FF but I also like symphonic songs such as those from Oblivion.

^^ Awful game.
Wiimotefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#318 Wiimotefan
Member since 2010 • 4151 Posts

I don't know about all time, but I think MGS4 is the most overrated game this gen. I love the series. MGS2 and 3 are two of my top ten all time favorites, but MGS4 just failed on so many levels that its inexcusable..... oh wait it is excusable because Kojima made it! At least that's how many reviewers treated the game.

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#319 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

MW2 and Black Ops.

peterw007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#320 peterw007

[QUOTE="peterw007"]

All I'm sake is the game isn't perfect. There are a couple of quirks about the game, and I don't consider it a cla$sic because I personally find them too distracting.

Lucianu

No game is perfect i hope people ain't starting to forget that. I can find various flaws in absolutely every single game i've played, even my personal GOAT games.

Yes, but flaws in some games are more noticable than others.

OoT was also made in the "Early 3D era," a time in gaming where 3D textures were de facto bland and muddy.

No matter how great the gameplay is, it will always have that stigma looming over it.

http://images.wikia.com/zelda/images/7/74/Ocarina_Playing_(Ocarina_of_Time).png

Contrast that with the highly detailed and sharp graphics of the "late 2D era":

http://www.zeldaelements.net/images/games/a_link_to_the_past/maps/hyrulecastle.png

bobcheeseball

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#321 bobcheeseball
Member since 2007 • 9316 Posts
I don't see how Ocarina of Time "hasn't aged well". I beat it a few months ago, no big issues for me :? (And before you say its because of my nostalgia, I played Super Smash Bros 64 possibly even more than Ocarina of Time and I can't even stand playing it these days)
RobbieH1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#322 RobbieH1234
Member since 2005 • 7464 Posts

Oblivion.

LaytonsCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#323 LaytonsCat
Member since 2010 • 3652 Posts

Uncharted 2, CoD 4, or the Rachet and Clank games

mellodude12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#324 mellodude12
Member since 2011 • 183 Posts

Uncharted 2

LaytonsCat
uuumm....yeaaah.....NO! LOL Uncharted 2 deserves all the praise it gets.
SuperFlakeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#325 SuperFlakeman
Member since 2011 • 7411 Posts

GTA4;

• Unacceptable that I have to spend literally hours driving around just to get a new mission as they're so far apart from each other. It's cool that the city is big for free roaming, but the "main campaign" is horrible because of this from a gameplay perspective.
  • Copy/Paste formula.
  • Repetetive missions.
  • Quality of the missions drops steadily as you progress. I liked the game up until the bank heist, then it was meh.
  • The dating aspect is extremly shallow. If you want to introduce a new gameplay mechanic, do it right. The idea is cool. This goes for the friends too. Respect meter or whatever drops even when you're in the middle of a mission and automatically have to turn down hanging out, Simple fix "I'm doing a job right now can't play some pool with ya atm" "Alright np cousin I'll call you later" and no respect/friendship lost, lol... Very shallow.

Just because it's a sandbox game or is very big, doesn't mean that it's ok to have flaws. The game is far from the masterful/amazing category.

Avatar image for Chrono-Revenant
Chrono-Revenant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#326 Chrono-Revenant
Member since 2009 • 28 Posts

Lots of games are overrated

MGS4: They turned MGS into a first person shooter + it had the weakest story in the series

GTA series: Fun game but relies too heavily on sandbox gimick and banal violence to compensate for weak gameplay and lackluster stories. Best thing about them is the soundtrack.

Final Fantasy: Other RPGs, even other Final Fantasies are much better.

God of War: Good game but the gameplay and style is much weaker than other games in the same genre line Devil May Cry and Ninja Gaiden

Shin Megami Tensai Persona 3 & 4: Fun gameplay but weak storyline and characters take up 70% of the game. Other SMT games like Nocturne and Digital Devil Saga are much better

Shielder7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#327 Shielder7
Member since 2006 • 5191 Posts

Hhhmm.. no. OoT is not overrated at all. The game is incredible.

Now Demon's Souls is a different story. The game is good, but Game of the Year good? No. The game was obviously too difficult for most gamers and not even having a pause button is the stupiest thing I've ever seen in a game. I think Gamespot was the only site to give this game GotY, which should tell you something.

MGS IV was also overrated. Most of the game was just a movie. Again, the game was good, but not good enough for a 10 rating. Sites who game this game a 10 must have been smoking something.

blackace
Well were just going to have to agree to disagree I loved Demon Souls and can't wait for Dark Souls. OoT IMO was not worth a 10/10 more like a 7.5/10. And Yes I played it when it first came out my opinion hasn't changed much of it over the years.
Shielder7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#328 Shielder7

[QUOTE="DraugenCP"]

[QUOTE="DillonShwing"]

SUPER MARIO GALAXY (1&2)

Its the same Mario game we've been playing for the past 15 years but now.....IN SPACE!!!!!!

peterw007

No it isn't, but whatever.

Yeah, I'm going to have to completely disagree with you as well, DillonShwing.

SMG was really, really fun. One of the best times I've had with a single-player video game in a long time.

SMG 2 is the only 10 here at Gamespot that I felt actually deserved it.

Now GTA IV on the other hand...

SMG 2 did not deserve a 10, it was just a repackaged SMG 1.
gamedude234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#329 gamedude234
Member since 2009 • 2558 Posts

[QUOTE="peterw007"]

[QUOTE="DraugenCP"]

Shielder7

SMG was really, really fun. One of the best times I've had with a single-player video game in a long time.

I honestly hope either

A: your joking

B: MS or Sony has paid you

I REALLY hope that.

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#330 super600  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 33103 Posts

[QUOTE="peterw007"]

[QUOTE="DraugenCP"]

Shielder7

Huh! It took more risks then the first, it was more creative and the levels made the game fresh.The motion control levels weren't annoying this time and the final stage was incredibly hard.The co-op was also fixed a bit.

Shielder7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#331 Shielder7

[QUOTE="Shielder7"][QUOTE="peterw007"]

gamedude234

I honestly hope either

I REALLY hope that.

Nether sorry.
-Snooze-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#332 -Snooze-
Member since 2009 • 7304 Posts

Uncharted 2, MGS4, God Of War. Seems to be a pattern :o

Avatar image for LombaxWarrior11
LombaxWarrior11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#333 LombaxWarrior11
Member since 2011 • 85 Posts

MGS4, MGS4, MGS4. Seems to be a pattern :o

-Snooze-

Yeah, you're right, MGS4 being overrated IS a pattern.

alfredooo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#334 alfredooo
Member since 2007 • 2664 Posts

why would anyone revive this blasphemous topic?

DavidianMH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#335 DavidianMH
Member since 2011 • 1458 Posts
Halo 3 for sure.
super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#336 super600  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 33103 Posts

[QUOTE="gamedude234"]

[QUOTE="Shielder7"] SMG 2 did not deserve a 10, it was just a repackaged SMG 1.Shielder7

I honestly hope either

I REALLY hope that.

Nether sorry.

You do know you just revived a thread that hasn't been posted in aboutthree weeks.