MGS4 has 90 minute cutscenes!!!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

tmntPunchout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101 tmntPunchout
Member since 2007 • 3770 Posts

Sony lets you wait for games, watch games, basically do everything but play games and thats why I have no intentions of buying a ps3 anytime soon. If I wanted to stare at the screen and mouth breat like an idiot, Id pay 10 bucks to see indiana jones anyday over 65 for metal gear solid 4shadow8585

But Sony didn't make the game. I bet if MGS4 came out for the 360, they'd let you watch the game too.

Lab392

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#102 Lab392
Member since 2006 • 6217 Posts
[QUOTE="Blackbond"][QUOTE="organic_machine"]

[QUOTE="Blackbond"]Well coming from a guy who doesn't like MGS and wanted to give MGS4 a try this isn't exactly making me excited. I want to play games I don't want to sit around watching them. Couldn't they have taken some hints from Valve on ways to tell story? I mean cutscenes are okay and all but this seems ridiculous. Wish it had cutscenes like RE4 where you can interact with at least. Or does it have them?JayPee89

Well, don't assume it's going to suck. This 90 minute cutscene thing still has the possibility of being very good. As long as they do it correctly, it really shouldn't be a problem.

And we don't have to worry about anyone calling MGS4 a casual game :lol:

Never said it was going to suck. Its just that I'm not a MGS fan and this doesn't do anything to hype me up and just does a lot to turn me off. 90 minute cutscenes are ludirious no matter how good they are. I'm trying to play a game not watch it. Meh I never liked GTA but bought GTA4 so I'll probably do the same with MGS4. But come on 90 minute cutscenes?

That's just ridiculous. That's a whole theater length movie.

And it's not just 1. There are several cutscenes that approach the 90 minute mark.

According to PSW.

Avatar image for ReverseCycology
ReverseCycology

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103 ReverseCycology
Member since 2006 • 9717 Posts

Like I said, I already have popcorn in stock, I'll get some Cheetos and some Metal Gear energy drinks too. But damn 90 minutes of having no choice to watch a cutscene that you could skip but you'll probably miss alot of the story if you do. And I also hope there's only one 90 minute cutscenes. MGS4 might be really a snorefest for some.

ogvampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104 ogvampire  Online
Member since 2008 • 9135 Posts
[QUOTE="ogvampire"][QUOTE="organic_machine"][QUOTE="ogvampire"][QUOTE="organic_machine"]

You're not getting me. IF you are a fan of MGS, you wouldn't want to skip it. It's probably loaded with plot and what not. IF you are that guy, who wouldn't get the game because there is a 90 minute cutscene in it, then you clearly aren't a fan of the series in the first place. :|

organic_machine

well you should have said that in the first place.

Shouldn't it have been assumed??!!!

:roll: why would it be "assumed??!!!"

you know what i assume? i assume that people would rather play games than watch a freakin 90 minute movie within the game. wouldnt that be a better assumption?

:| Do you even realize what you are arguing about. We're not arguing about how good or bad the cutscene thing is, here. I don't know where you are drawing conclusions.

YOU ARE SAYING:

It's not okay to assume a fan of the series wouldn't wan't to skip it.

NOW, if you belive that, you are wrong. A fan of the series has dealt with these kind of cutscenes before and if they are a fan of the series, they will probably enjoy it.

Seriously. What are you talking about anymore?

i was trying to prove a point on my last post regarding all of these "assumptions" that you keep making.

like you assume people would want to watch a 90 minute cutscene, whether they can skip it or not.

Zenkuso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105 Zenkuso
Member since 2006 • 4090 Posts

Well coming from a guy who doesn't like MGS and wanted to give MGS4 a try this isn't exactly making me excited. I want to play games I don't want to sit around watching them. Couldn't they have taken some hints from Valve on ways to tell story? I mean cutscenes are okay and all but this seems ridiculous. Wish it had cutscenes like RE4 where you can interact with at least. Or does it have them?Blackbond

Last I checked making interactive cutscenes when you characters a complete mute is easy, not when he actually has a personality of his own that isn't protrayed through the players connection.

I'm sure we could make valves way to interactive cutscene story telling and apply it to many other games but if that same character your playing is involved in dialogue then it would kinda take away from the personal connection you have to the character that represents you ;)

Valves way of presenting interactive cutscenes works because they strip the represented character you play of emotion and instead push that emotional response to you the player, in games like metal gear solid, final fantasy, beyond good and evil, mass effect and many other titles you can't represent detailed cutscenes with a interactive approach that valve has because of the amount your trying to portray.

For the types of games that valve makes there way of story telling through interactive cutscenes works, but it wouldn't translate into many other titles as well as you seem to think.

You make design choices at the beginning of project which give you the best way to represent your product, metal gear solid 4 isn't a game were valve style of interactiveness would work properly, i mean seriously how are you going to portray so much of the things in typical metal gear solid cutscenes in a interactive way? turn it into bioware title?

infamousxii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106 infamousxii
Member since 2004 • 1534 Posts

Ok I like MSG just as much as the next guy but anyone sitting here saying they don't mind a 90 minute cutscene is blowing out there ass.

There's no one thats want to watch a 90 minute cutscene of strory plot cause you know the whole thing is not going to be action which in my opinion is really the only thing thats needs to be in a cutscene and maybe really dramatic scenes.

Either way we Cows are a proud race and will never admit that but you know its true.

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#107 Animal-Mother
Member since 2003 • 27362 Posts

Ok I like MSG just as much as the next guy but anyone sitting here saying they don't mind a 90 minute cutscene is blowing out there ass.

There's no one thats want to watch a 90 minute cutscene of strory plot cause you know the whole thing is not going to be action which in my opinion is really the only thing thats needs to be in a cutscene and maybe really dramatic scenes.

Either way we Cows are a proud race and will never admit that but you know its true.

infamousxii

true, i felt like even some of the 20 min ones in sons of liberty were begining to push the envelope a bit

SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#108 SpruceCaboose
Member since 2005 • 24589 Posts
I am not sure I would. 90 minutes is way to long for how much time I usually have to play. Between college and a full time job, I cannot find time to game for 90 minutes at a pop most times, much less watch a single cutscene that is that long.
omgimba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 omgimba
Member since 2007 • 2645 Posts

Eeee. 90 mins sounds a lil exagerated.

But if there is a 90 minute one I will certainly watch it and enyoy it.

tmntPunchout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 tmntPunchout
Member since 2007 • 3770 Posts

I am not sure I would. 90 minutes is way to long for how much time I usually have to play. Between college and a full time job, I cannot find time to game for 90 minutes at a pop most times, much less watch a single cutscene that is that long.SpruceCaboose

That's why I'm beating it asap since summer vacation started.

jujutheking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 jujutheking
Member since 2006 • 2998 Posts
lol can u guys read?? he was obviously talking about in total cutscenes. i was playing mgs2 yesterday and doesn't have a cutscene that last no 45mins.
Avatar image for organic_machine
organic_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#112 organic_machine
Member since 2004 • 10141 Posts

i was trying to prove a point on my last post regarding all of these "assumptions" that you keep making.

like you assume people would want to watch a 90 minute cutscene, whether they can skip it or not.

ogvampire

But you didn't prove that point. You just made yourself look foolish. :|

Long cutscenes are a part of the MGS series. To assume fans are going to like the long cutscenes is just as valid as assuming a Halo fan likes that Halo 3 had vehicles. Vehicles are a part of the Halo series. :|

ogvampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 ogvampire  Online

lol can u guys read?? he was obviously talking about in total cutscenes. i was playing mgs2 yesterday and doesn't have a cutscene that last no 45mins.jujutheking

no. there are about 9 hours of total cutscenes, with at least 1 that is 90 mins long.

now the question is: can YOU read?

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/05/23/breaking-metal-gear-solid-4-to-have-really-long-cutscenes/#comments

ReverseCycology

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 ReverseCycology

I just hope some of that 90 minute have some nice crotch grabbing love scenes with the female characters even those female beast looking female enemies.

ogvampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 ogvampire  Online
[QUOTE="ogvampire"]

organic_machine

Long cutscenes are a part of the MGS series. To assume fans are going to like the long cutscenes is just as valid as assuming a Halo fan likes that Halo 3 had vehicles. Vehicles are a part of the Halo series. :|

there you go assuming that fans will like a 90 min cutscene. im sorry, but i would assume only the "hardcore" fans would enjoy that.

also, your analogy is horrible. comparing vehicles in Halo to the cutscene in MGS? wow, really creative

organic_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 organic_machine
[QUOTE="organic_machine"][QUOTE="ogvampire"]

ogvampire

there you go assuming that fans will like a 90 min cutscene. im sorry, but i would assume only the "hardcore" fans would enjoy that.

also, your analogy is horrible. comparing vehicles in Halo to the cutscene in MGS? wow, really creative

You have no rebuttal to my argument? Other than calling my analogy horrible? Explain how my analogy was horrible. It validated my point. Long cutscenes are a part of the MGS series like vehicles are a part of the Halo series. Go ahead, refute that. That's a factual analogy.

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#117 Animal-Mother
Member since 2003 • 27362 Posts
Can we say that it might be A 90 CUTSCENE not "CUTSCENES" i would find it hard that it has more than hour and half cutscene
Jacboy71

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 Jacboy71
Member since 2007 • 1421 Posts

[QUOTE="jujutheking"]lol can u guys read?? he was obviously talking about in total cutscenes. i was playing mgs2 yesterday and doesn't have a cutscene that last no 45mins.ogvampire

no. there are about 9 hours of total cutscenes, with at least 1 that is 90 mins long.

now the question is: can YOU read?

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/05/23/breaking-metal-gear-solid-4-to-have-really-long-cutscenes/#comments

PWNT.

aka_aj03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 aka_aj03
Member since 2004 • 5911 Posts
I think this will be the first game that will win an Oscar as well :P
ogvampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 ogvampire  Online
[QUOTE="ogvampire"][QUOTE="organic_machine"][QUOTE="ogvampire"]

organic_machine

You have no rebuttal to my argument? Other than calling my analogy horrible? Explain how my analogy was horrible. It validated my point. Long cutscenes are a part of the MGS series like vehicles are a part of the Halo series. Go ahead, refute that. That's a factual analogy.

my point was that you "assume" that fans of the series would want to watch a 90 min cutscene. its the assumption part that gets me. just as you assume fans would want to, i would assume only the hardcore fans would want to. theres a difference...

Dreams-Visions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 Dreams-Visions
Member since 2006 • 26578 Posts

infamousxii

QFT.

90 minutes is an incredible committment of non-gameplay at one time.

BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#122 BioShockOwnz
Member since 2006 • 52901 Posts

1 hour and 30 minute cutscenes? What in the hell? Seriously? I know you can skip them, but some people would like to see the story without eating such huge chunks of time.

organic_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 organic_machine

my point was that you "assume" that fans of the series would want to watch a 90 min cutscene. its the assumption part that gets me. just as you assume fans would want to, i would assume only the hardcore fans would want to. theres a difference...

ogvampire

Listen to me. I get you. I would normally agree with you. It pisses me off when people assume things too. BUT, here's the thing. Long cutscenes are a part of MGS series. If you have a MGS game, you will have long cutscenes. Fans of the series know this, and if they are a fan of the series, they have, most likely, enjoyed the cutscenes too. So, this 90 minute cutscene is really no surprise at all to fans. That's my point. Yes, it's an assumtion, but I belive it's a valid one. And you say your anti assumption, but speak not. Lest I quote your first post where you yourself made assumtions.

ogvampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 ogvampire  Online
[QUOTE="ogvampire"]

organic_machine

Listen to me. I get you. I would normally agree with you. It pisses me off when people assume things too. BUT, here's the thing. Long cutscenes are a part of MGS series. If you have a MGS game, you will have long cutscenes. Fans of the series know this, and if they are a fan of the series, they have, most likely, enjoyed the cutscenes too. So, this 90 minute cutscene is really no surprise at all to fans. That's my point. Yes, it's an assumtion, but I belive it's a valid one. And you say your anti assumption, but speak not. Lest I quote your first post where you yourself made assumtions.

but dont you think that a 90 min cutscene is a little extreme?

i know mgs is known for cutscenes, but this is a really really long one.

the length of it is what makes me think that it only really appeases the hardcore fans

dewmandew7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#125 dewmandew7
Member since 2005 • 4152 Posts
I don't have time to sit through a ninety minute cutscene unless they let you come back and watch them later AND let you skip to the part you stopped watching at.
Dreams-Visions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 Dreams-Visions
Member since 2006 • 26578 Posts

ogvampire

the length of it is what makes me think that it only really appeases the hardcore fans

that's my entire point.
hayato_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 hayato_
Member since 2007 • 5165 Posts
[QUOTE="infamousxii"]

Dreams-Visions

QFT.

Why the hell is that QFT. Is rather have the 90 min cutscene if true. I think it would be even better if it was the ending or intermission. I think that would be a blast.

ReverseCycology

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 ReverseCycology

Wouldn't it be a great idea of part of the 90 minute cutscene is shown while you're installing the 4.5 GB onto your HDD!?!

organic_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 organic_machine

ogvampire

Maybe. Maybe not. I can see why that would offend certain people. But, it's there. MGS series always turned people off in terms of it's cutscenes and those long conversations. When MGS2 came out, my friend was playing it and all I saw him ever play were those conversations between ocelot. The series always had quarks like that.

Yes, a 90 minute cutscene may be extreme. But think about it, is it really that big of a surprise? This is no casual game. I don't think you can play ANY MGS game for in 5 minute sit downs. Each one involves the player a great deal. This really is no surprise. I don't think, when playing the game, the real fans would care. Yes, that's an assumtion. But, guess what? In an argument like this, you're assuming too. We can't not assume.

dewmandew7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#130 dewmandew7
Member since 2005 • 4152 Posts

Wouldn't it be a great idea of part of the 90 minute cutscene is shown while you're installing the 4.5 GB onto your HDD!?!

ReverseCycology

Yeah, that's what I said in another thread.

PS2_ROCKS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 PS2_ROCKS
Member since 2003 • 4679 Posts
Of course. I just hope they have a pause button just in case I have to do somthing during the video.
balindos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 balindos
Member since 2003 • 2424 Posts
I have never played a MGS game, just not my style but 90 minutes is like watching a movie. Did they make a video game or a movie? I like to play my games not watch them, that is what movies are for. Well hopefully the gameplsy is good and that it is only one cutscene is that long and not multiple. That is weird that they would make it that long. Well enjoy and let me know if it was worth the time. I know you can skip it but if you want to be in the game completely then you are definately going to want to watch it.
ogvampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 ogvampire  Online
[QUOTE="ogvampire"]

organic_machine

Maybe. Maybe not. I can see why that would offend certain people. But, it's there. MGS series always turned people off in terms of it's cutscenes and those long conversations. When MGS2 came out, my friend was playing it and all I saw him ever play were those conversations between ocelot. The series always had quarks like that.

Yes, a 90 minute cutscene may be extreme. But think about it, is it really that big of a surprise? This is no casual game. I don't think you can play ANY MGS game for in 5 minute sit downs. Each one involves the player a great deal. This really is no surprise. I don't think, when playing the game, the real fans would care. Yes, that's an assumtion. But, guess what? In an argument like this, you're assuming too. We can't not assume.

it is actually. very much so. my first reaction when i saw the news was: WTF?

i seriously have never heard of cutscenes over an hour, but now 1 1/2 hours. just wow

ff7isnumbaone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#134 ff7isnumbaone
Member since 2005 • 5352 Posts
welcome to metal gear solid 2,3,4. Lol while playing 3 I thought I was playing a movie. MGS has always had alot of cut scenes.
Arjdagr8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135 Arjdagr8
Member since 2003 • 3865 Posts

casual MGS fans would be a little p'd off id say, maybe not just a little. for me, if its the ending thats 90minutes, i suppose its ok. i cant blame them for wrapping up the last solid snake story when there were so many questions left unanswered in MGS2.

but you have to think about it, 90 minutes is A LOT. for me its ok, but just looking at that number, you cannot deny that is long, thats the length of some films. kojima is taking a bit of a risk here, people will be complaining, i can guarantee that even if the ending is absolutely amazing.

XturnalS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136 XturnalS
Member since 2004 • 5020 Posts

wow instead of Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots

its should be called

Metal Gear Solid 4: Get out the Popcorn

but in all seriousness it almost doesnt surprise me but its still going to be an epic game and with 2/3s of it being gameplay equaling 20 or so hrs. I will be more then fine sitting through this cutscene.

organic_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137 organic_machine

i seriously have never heard of cutscenes over an hour, but now 1 1/2 hours. just wow

ogvampire

That's funny. My first reaction was: "Yep. Sounds about right."

organic_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138 organic_machine

Metal Gear Solid 4: Get out the Popcorn

XturnalS

Wow, that was really cheesy. But, I can't help but laugh! :lol:

ff7isnumbaone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139 ff7isnumbaone
Damn this summer popcorn prices will go up. So...I get a movie with purchase of mgs+ ps3. This is gonna be a good summer. lol when I get to that cutscene i'ma pause and make some food.
ff7isnumbaone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140 ff7isnumbaone
Damn this summer popcorn prices will go up. So...I get a movie with purchase of mgs+ ps3. This is gonna be a good summer. lol when I get to that cutscene i'ma pause and make some food.
CR00K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141 CR00K
Member since 2006 • 2657 Posts

i dont have a PS3 so... dont carest1ka
Thanks for posting.

This poll is going to be inaccurate because the people who aren't going to play it will say no. But anyways, yes, I will watch it all.

ogvampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142 ogvampire  Online
[QUOTE="ogvampire"]

organic_machine

lol. thats hilarious.

you knew what to expect, this is still a surprise for others

EmperorSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#143 EmperorSupreme
Member since 2006 • 7686 Posts
[QUOTE="infamousxii"]

Dreams-Visions

QFT.

So you can't skip it? Oh yes, yes you can, you can also pause and if you want to rewind.

ReverseCycology

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144 ReverseCycology

I hope there's a pause, rewind, and fast forward option during these cutscenes. I mean normal people would need to do things like go to the rest room real quick, get a drink of water, normal things like that, etc. and they might miss vital story telling. 1 hour and 30 minutes is a long time, and it is like a blu ray dvd but atleast with the blu ray dvd movie you could pause, rewind, and fast forward.

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29827 Posts
as long as they are skippable, cool.
II_Seraphim_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#146 II_Seraphim_II
Member since 2007 • 20534 Posts
I dont care if it was 3 hrs long, no way would i skip a MGS cutscene. They are so good and add so much to the story that i dont even mind at all.
organic_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147 organic_machine

ogvampire

lol. thats hilarious.

It comes down to taste. I look at a movie long cutscene and say "I can't wait." When others see it, they say "I have to sit through THAT?"

I guess we don't know how people feel about this. Some like it, some don't. But, it exists. And we have to deal with it. So, everyone, when you get the game, don't play causal sit throughs. Each time you play, make sure you have hours worth of time. Even if that means only playing the game once a week.

Lab392

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148 Lab392
Member since 2006 • 6217 Posts

organic_machine

lol. thats hilarious.

It comes down to taste. I look at a movie long cutscene and say "I can't wait." When others see it, they say "I have to sit through THAT?"

I guess we don't know how people feel about this. Some like it, some don't. But, it exists. And we have to deal with it. So, everyone, when you get the game, don't play causal sit throughs. Each time you play, make sure you have hours worth of time. Even if that means only playing the game once a week.

:P ypu can skip and pase the cutscenes this time around.

ogvampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149 ogvampire  Online

organic_machine

lol. thats hilarious.

so true. very well then. i guess you will look forward to the cutscenes, while i will have to put some time aside to watch them. heh.

i like cutscenes, but the more i watch them, the more i want to play. 90 mins is killer for me

StealthSting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150 StealthSting
Member since 2006 • 6915 Posts

I think this will be the first game that will win an Oscar as well :Paka_aj03

:lol: Wouldn't surprise me. Anyway, yes is the answer to the main topic.