MGS4 has 90 minute cutscenes!!!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for 3verlastingHero
3verlastingHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 3verlastingHero
Member since 2008 • 747 Posts
Ok so if 90% of the game is cutscenes and there are 90 minutes of cutscenes then that sounds REALLY REALLY bad. This game is gonna be REALLY short then.MadExponent
Ugh.... AGAIN the guy who reviewed it (so he obviously beat it) said it took him 30 hours to beat the game and about 1/3 was cutscenes so if you do the math 10+10+10 = 30 so 1/3 of 30 is 10 so about 10 hours of cutscenes (wow sounds like so much!) and 20 hours of GAMEPLAY!!
therealmcc0y

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52 therealmcc0y
Member since 2007 • 2115 Posts

Ok so if 90% of the game is cutscenes and there are 90 minutes of cutscenes then that sounds REALLY REALLY bad. This game is gonna be REALLY short then.MadExponent

20 hours of gameplay confirmed you......................... silly boy

ParadiddleFill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 ParadiddleFill
Member since 2007 • 3506 Posts
[QUOTE="ParadiddleFill"][QUOTE="EmperorSupreme"][QUOTE="3verlastingHero"][QUOTE="ParadiddleFill"]

how is it epic?by the amount of cutscenes to gameplay ratios?

3verlastingHero

It's already been confirmed that there is around 20 hours of GAMEPLAY in MGS4 PLUS Metal Gear online, so take your more cutscenes than gameplay and shove it!

EDIT: I beat Gears in like 4 hours, so 20 hours > 4 hours. :D

sure you did, and at least gears of war was a game not a game/movie in disguise but i guess ps3 owners are used to watching alot of movies

Avatar image for Phoenix_Wright-
Phoenix_Wright-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 Phoenix_Wright-
Member since 2008 • 168 Posts
wow its desprete the way MGS fans act like this is a good thing. I wont be getting the game anymore...i will get MGO though
Avatar image for organic_machine
organic_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#55 organic_machine
Member since 2004 • 10141 Posts

wow its desprete the way MGS fans act like this is a good thing. I wont be getting the game anymore...i will get MGO thoughPhoenix_Wright-

You're not buying a soon to be excellent game because of a 90 minute cutscene that you can skip? :|

therealmcc0y

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 therealmcc0y
[QUOTE="3verlastingHero"][QUOTE="ParadiddleFill"][QUOTE="EmperorSupreme"][QUOTE="3verlastingHero"][QUOTE="ParadiddleFill"]

ParadiddleFill

It's already been confirmed that there is around 20 hours of GAMEPLAY in MGS4 PLUS Metal Gear online, so take your more cutscenes than gameplay and shove it!

sure you did, and at least gears of war was a game not a game/movie in disguise but i guess ps3 owners are used to watching alot of movies

I play my PS3 every day and ive never once in my life watched a blu ray movie

3verlastingHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 3verlastingHero
[QUOTE="3verlastingHero"][QUOTE="ParadiddleFill"][QUOTE="EmperorSupreme"][QUOTE="3verlastingHero"][QUOTE="ParadiddleFill"]

ParadiddleFill

Proud PS3/360 owner buddy ;) I beat Gears in 4 hours I can play through it again later if you want me to time it or something, want my gamertag, we'll play coop, lol!

EDIT: Here is my gamertag for furthur ownage. :)

JayPee89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 JayPee89
Member since 2005 • 3488 Posts
wow its desprete the way MGS fans act like this is a good thing. I wont be getting the game anymore...i will get MGO thoughPhoenix_Wright-
They are both on the same disc.
ParadiddleFill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 ParadiddleFill

[QUOTE="MadExponent"]Ok so if 90% of the game is cutscenes and there are 90 minutes of cutscenes then that sounds REALLY REALLY bad. This game is gonna be REALLY short then.3verlastingHero
Ugh.... AGAIN the guy who reviewed it (so he obviously beat it) said it took him 30 hours to beat the game and about 1/3 was cutscenes so if you do the math 10+10+10 = 30 so 1/3 of 30 is 10 so about 10 hours of cutscenes (wow sounds like so much!) and 20 hours of GAMEPLAY!!

10 hours of cutscenes is alot

ogvampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 ogvampire
Member since 2008 • 9123 Posts

[QUOTE="MadExponent"]Ok so if 90% of the game is cutscenes and there are 90 minutes of cutscenes then that sounds REALLY REALLY bad. This game is gonna be REALLY short then.therealmcc0y

20 hours confirmed? whenever they confirm how many hours a game takes, you can always finish it alot faster anyway.

i say 12-15 hours of gameplay. i also hope the guy who confirmed the length of gameplay wasnt the guy who reviewed HS in Play magazine, he said it took 20 hours to finish as well :lol:

ogvampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 ogvampire

[QUOTE="Phoenix_Wright-"]wow its desprete the way MGS fans act like this is a good thing. I wont be getting the game anymore...i will get MGO thoughorganic_machine

You're not buying a soon to be excellent game because of a 90 minute cutscene that you can skip? :|

if the 90 minute cutscene is at the end, why would you want to skip it :|

ParadiddleFill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 ParadiddleFill
[QUOTE="ParadiddleFill"][QUOTE="3verlastingHero"][QUOTE="ParadiddleFill"][QUOTE="EmperorSupreme"][QUOTE="3verlastingHero"][QUOTE="ParadiddleFill"]

3verlastingHero

Proud PS3/360 owner buddy ;) I beat Gears in 4 hours I can play through it again later if you want me to time it or something, want my gamertag, we'll play coop, lol!

yet what makes you think mgs4 is going to be 20 hours? if they said gears was 6-8 hours long

therealmcc0y

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 therealmcc0y
[QUOTE="therealmcc0y"]

[QUOTE="MadExponent"]Ok so if 90% of the game is cutscenes and there are 90 minutes of cutscenes then that sounds REALLY REALLY bad. This game is gonna be REALLY short then.ogvampire

20 hours confirmed? whenever they confirm how many hours a game takes, you can always finish it alot faster anyway.

i say 12-15 hours of gameplay. i also hope the guy who confirmed the length of gameplay wasnt the guy who reviewed HS in Play magazine, he said it took 20 hours to finish as well :lol:

actually its the opposite for me, it always takes me longer than what the reviews say

tmntPunchout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 tmntPunchout
Member since 2007 • 3770 Posts
Like I said in another thread, I'm hoping it's the ending cutscene if anything.. A 90 minute ending cutscene would be very satisfying and epic to watch knowing the fate of Snake and that it will be the end of the MGS saga. When it's through, I'll probably even feel a little sad that it's all over.
thrones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#65 thrones
Member since 2004 • 12178 Posts

Yes I will. I might take a pause for a bathroom break.

I've finally done it and ordered a 32" LCD 720p 16:9 JUST for this game, to replace my current 14" CRT 4:3 sub 420p TV which cuts all the corners off.

organic_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 organic_machine
[QUOTE="organic_machine"]

[QUOTE="Phoenix_Wright-"]wow its desprete the way MGS fans act like this is a good thing. I wont be getting the game anymore...i will get MGO thoughogvampire

Are you directing that at me? Because what you're saying sounds like more of a jab at him.

Phoenix_Wright-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 Phoenix_Wright-

[QUOTE="Phoenix_Wright-"]wow its desprete the way MGS fans act like this is a good thing. I wont be getting the game anymore...i will get MGO thoughorganic_machine

OR do you mean im not buying soon to be exellent collection of cutscenes which will gameplay in the middle thats no as good as splinter cell

ogvampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 ogvampire
[QUOTE="ogvampire"][QUOTE="organic_machine"]

Are you directing that at me? Because what you're saying sounds like more of a jab at him.

you. you said that you can skip it. well what if the 90 minute cutscene is the last scene where you find out the ending, why would you want to skip it. (alot of assumptions here, hehe. but its a possibility)

3verlastingHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 3verlastingHero
[QUOTE="3verlastingHero"][QUOTE="ParadiddleFill"][QUOTE="3verlastingHero"][QUOTE="ParadiddleFill"][QUOTE="EmperorSupreme"][QUOTE="3verlastingHero"][QUOTE="ParadiddleFill"]

ParadiddleFill

yet what makes you think mgs4 is going to be 20 hours? if they said gears was 6-8 hours long

Ok so subtract 2 hours from MGS4's 20 hours, thats still 18 hours of gameplay. Seriously Gears is an amazing game no doubt about that, it's just it's such a short game, but thats why there is online ;)
Phoenix_Wright-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 Phoenix_Wright-

[QUOTE="Phoenix_Wright-"]wow its desprete the way MGS fans act like this is a good thing. I wont be getting the game anymore...i will get MGO thoughJayPee89
They are both on the same disc.

i thought a beat was on the MGS4 disc

vicmackey39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 vicmackey39
Member since 2008 • 2416 Posts

i'm not watching a 90 minute cutscene with as much nuance as an episode of power rangers

pass

thrones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#72 thrones
Member since 2004 • 12178 Posts

[QUOTE="Phoenix_Wright-"]wow its desprete the way MGS fans act like this is a good thing. I wont be getting the game anymore...i will get MGO thoughPhoenix_Wright-

OR do you mean im not buying soon to be exellent collection of cutscenes which will gameplay in the middle thats no as good as splinter cell

2/3 gameplay and all cutscenes are skippable...

And the gameplay looks really awesome :D

http://metalgearsolid4.net/2008/05/13/the-first-10-minutes-of-mgs4.html Not much, but it looks pretty fluid. Can't wait for the later real levels, [spoiler] did you know the entire faction thing Kojima went on about only exists in the Middle East and disappears after that? He enjoys screwing with our minds, like Raiden... [/spoiler]

tmntPunchout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 tmntPunchout
[QUOTE="3verlastingHero"][QUOTE="ParadiddleFill"][QUOTE="3verlastingHero"][QUOTE="ParadiddleFill"][QUOTE="EmperorSupreme"][QUOTE="3verlastingHero"][QUOTE="ParadiddleFill"]

ParadiddleFill

I thought someone reviewed the game and it turned out to be 29 hours until they finished it with an estimated 1/3 (I think it stated it was 9 hours) of it being cutscenes. That's about 20 hours of gameplay. I'm guessing this was also a speed playthrough not finding easter eggs and such.

ogvampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 ogvampire
[QUOTE="ogvampire"][QUOTE="therealmcc0y"]

[QUOTE="MadExponent"]Ok so if 90% of the game is cutscenes and there are 90 minutes of cutscenes then that sounds REALLY REALLY bad. This game is gonna be REALLY short then.therealmcc0y

actually its the opposite for me, it always takes me longer than what the reviews say

i hope you realize anybody can artificially extend the length of the game by spending more time doing other things in the game. doesnt really make it a longer game, per se

jmdude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#75 jmdude
Member since 2007 • 2521 Posts
I think what it means is that if all cutscenes would be combined it will be 90 minutes.
organic_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 organic_machine

[QUOTE="Phoenix_Wright-"]wow its desprete the way MGS fans act like this is a good thing. I wont be getting the game anymore...i will get MGO thoughPhoenix_Wright-

You're just being a fanboy. You KNOW it has more gameplay than cutscenes. Many have already said this. You're just denying it. And, not as good as SC? They're different types of stealth games. :|

3verlastingHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 3verlastingHero

i'm not watching a 90 minute cutscene with as much nuance as an episode of power rangers

pass

vicmackey39
Good, I on the other hand will be playing the best game so far this gen come June 12.
tmntPunchout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 tmntPunchout

pass

vicmackey39

Umm.. just skip the cutscene then..

ParadiddleFill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 ParadiddleFill
its not subtract 2, depending on how you play it the length of the gameplay varies some people will finish it in 10-15 hours but the cutscenes will still be 9 hours either way
Dreams-Visions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 Dreams-Visions
Member since 2006 • 26578 Posts
Nothing at all exciting to me about a 90 minute cutscene. I play games for interactive entertainment. Not to watch a movie. MGS cutscenes have never been that long and it was a *good* thing they were not. This concerns me. I hope they're good.
organic_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 organic_machine
[QUOTE="organic_machine"][QUOTE="ogvampire"][QUOTE="organic_machine"]

[QUOTE="Phoenix_Wright-"]wow its desprete the way MGS fans act like this is a good thing. I wont be getting the game anymore...i will get MGO thoughogvampire

you. you said that you can skip it. well what if the 90 minute cutscene is the last scene where you find out the ending, why would you want to skip it. (alot of assumptions here, hehe. but its a possibility)

You're not getting me. IF you are a fan of MGS, you wouldn't want to skip it. It's probably loaded with plot and what not. IF you are that guy, who wouldn't get the game because there is a 90 minute cutscene in it, then you clearly aren't a fan of the series in the first place. :|

ogvampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 ogvampire

did you guys also notice that MGS4 REQUIRES a 4.5gig install?

i think i am noticing a pattern in ps3 games and requiring installation.

3verlastingHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 3verlastingHero

I think what it means is that if all cutscenes would be combined it will be 90 minutes.jmdude
That sounds too short, there has to be more than that. I believe there will be way more than that because 3 things.

1. It's Kojima's last MGS game and he will be going all out!

2. There is ALOT of things that need to be answered before the series can end properly.

3. Blu-ray, 50gb, nuff said. And he filled the freaking thing!

Avatar image for Nintendo_Ownes7
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#84 Nintendo_Ownes7
Member since 2005 • 30973 Posts
I'm defenately watching the Cutscenes because that is part of the Story and I don't want to skip it but on another play-through I will just skip them but on the first playthrough I will watch all of them.
ogvampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 ogvampire

You're not getting me. IF you are a fan of MGS, you wouldn't want to skip it. It's probably loaded with plot and what not. IF you are that guy, who wouldn't get the game because there is a 90 minute cutscene in it, then you clearly aren't a fan of the series in the first place. :|

organic_machine

well you should have said that in the first place.

Blackbond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 Blackbond
Member since 2005 • 24516 Posts
Well coming from a guy who doesn't like MGS and wanted to give MGS4 a try this isn't exactly making me excited. I want to play games I don't want to sit around watching them. Couldn't they have taken some hints from Valve on ways to tell story? I mean cutscenes are okay and all but this seems ridiculous. Wish it had cutscenes like RE4 where you can interact with at least. Or does it have them?
organic_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 organic_machine

ogvampire

Shouldn't it have been assumed??!!! I thought that was obvious from the get go.

therealmcc0y

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 therealmcc0y
MGS has the best cutscenes in gaming, but 90 minutes in 1 go is too much
ogvampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 ogvampire
[QUOTE="ogvampire"][QUOTE="organic_machine"]

organic_machine

Shouldn't it have been assumed??!!!

:roll: why would it be "assumed??!!!"

you know what i assume? i assume that people would rather play games than watch a freakin 90 minute movie within the game. wouldnt that be a better assumption?

organic_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 organic_machine

Well coming from a guy who doesn't like MGS and wanted to give MGS4 a try this isn't exactly making me excited. I want to play games I don't want to sit around watching them. Couldn't they have taken some hints from Valve on ways to tell story? I mean cutscenes are okay and all but this seems ridiculous. Wish it had cutscenes like RE4 where you can interact with at least. Or does it have them?Blackbond

Well, don't assume it's going to suck. This 90 minute cutscene thing still has the possibility of being very good. As long as they do it correctly, it really shouldn't be a problem.

And we don't have to worry about anyone calling MGS4 a casual game :lol:

Lab392

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 Lab392
Member since 2006 • 6217 Posts

Um... Hello? People!

The source of the Article is PSW. If you don't remember, PSW said that Konami told them that a MGS4 demo would be on the Playstation store in Febuary. It never happened, and Konami rebuked the claim. PSW also said that they had excluive information on Zone of the Enders 3, a game that Kojima hasn't even formally announced yet. PSW is not a trustworthy source for information at all.

Jacboy71

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 Jacboy71
Member since 2007 • 1421 Posts

Naw 90 minutes all together is too short for the MGS series. Think back to when you played 2 and 3 I think there was way more than 90 min of cutscenes.

Anyways this is great news MGS4 has a story better than most blockbusters that are coming out so I am pleased with this wonderful news it isw only lemmings that are hating on the come up.

Oh and if you say your fan and your saying that this is rediculous and stupid your not a fan because you knew this was gonna happen from jumpstreet.

organic_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 organic_machine
[QUOTE="organic_machine"][QUOTE="ogvampire"][QUOTE="organic_machine"]

ogvampire

Shouldn't it have been assumed??!!!

:roll: why would it be "assumed??!!!"

you know what i assume? i assume that people would rather play games than watch a freakin 90 minute movie within the game. wouldnt that be a better assumption?

:| Do you even realize what you are arguing about. We're not arguing about how good or bad the cutscene thing is, here. I don't know where you are drawing conclusions.

YOU ARE SAYING:

It's not okay to assume a fan of the series wouldn't wan't to skip it.

NOW, if you belive that, you are wrong. A fan of the series has dealt with these kind of cutscenes before and if they are a fan of the series, they will probably enjoy it.

Seriously. What are you talking about anymore?

tmntPunchout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 tmntPunchout

Well coming from a guy who doesn't like MGS and wanted to give MGS4 a try this isn't exactly making me excited. I want to play games I don't want to sit around watching them. Couldn't they have taken some hints from Valve on ways to tell story? I mean cutscenes are okay and all but this seems ridiculous. Wish it had cutscenes like RE4 where you can interact with at least. Or does it have them?Blackbond

From what I've heard in other threads and news is that during cutscenes you can do other things like flashback to previous key MGS moments if you hear something important, or control that little robot thing and explore while there's a cutscene, probably look around in first person view like MGS3 and look at stuff I guess. I can't recall other things I've heard though and I'm not sure if these are confirmed or whatever, but it's what I've heard. Also, from watching the first 10min of gameplay, the transition between cutscenes and gameplay is very smooth and doesn't break the action up to much.. but this is only the first 10min though.

Avatar image for Nintendo_Ownes7
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#95 Nintendo_Ownes7
Member since 2005 • 30973 Posts
MGS has the best cutscenes in gaming, but 90 minutes in 1 go is too muchtherealmcc0y
I know I don't really mind it but when I need to go to sleep cause I have to be up the next day I can't watch the cutscenes because MGS2 had some pretty long cutscenes especially the Cutscenes with Emma Emmerich (spelling?) those went on forever will felt like it when you need to stop playing.
Blackbond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 Blackbond
Member since 2005 • 24516 Posts

[QUOTE="Blackbond"]Well coming from a guy who doesn't like MGS and wanted to give MGS4 a try this isn't exactly making me excited. I want to play games I don't want to sit around watching them. Couldn't they have taken some hints from Valve on ways to tell story? I mean cutscenes are okay and all but this seems ridiculous. Wish it had cutscenes like RE4 where you can interact with at least. Or does it have them?organic_machine

Well, don't assume it's going to suck. This 90 minute cutscene thing still has the possibility of being very good. As long as they do it correctly, it really shouldn't be a problem.

Never said it was going to suck. Its just that I'm not a MGS fan and this doesn't do anything to hype me up and just does a lot to turn me off. 90 minute cutscenes are ludirious no matter how good they are. I'm trying to play a game not watch it. Meh I never liked GTA but bought GTA4 so I'll probably do the same with MGS4. But come on 90 minute cutscenes?

That's just ridiculous. That's a whole theater length movie.

shadow8585

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 shadow8585
Member since 2006 • 2947 Posts
Sony lets you wait for games, watch games, basically do everything but play games and thats why I have no intentions of buying a ps3 anytime soon. If I wanted to stare at the screen and mouth breat like an idiot, Id pay 10 bucks to see indiana jones anyday over 65 for metal gear solid 4
organic_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 organic_machine

[QUOTE="Blackbond"]Well coming from a guy who doesn't like MGS and wanted to give MGS4 a try this isn't exactly making me excited. I want to play games I don't want to sit around watching them. Couldn't they have taken some hints from Valve on ways to tell story? I mean cutscenes are okay and all but this seems ridiculous. Wish it had cutscenes like RE4 where you can interact with at least. Or does it have them?Blackbond

Never said it was going to suck. Its just that I'm not a MGS fan and this doesn't do anything to hype me up and just does a lot to turn me off. 90 minute cutscenes are ludirious no matter how good they are. I'm trying to play a game not watch it. Meh I never liked GTA but bought GTA4 so I'll probably do the same with MGS4. But come on 90 minute cutscenes?

I think I am looking at this with defferent expectations. When I want to play a game or watch a film, I wan't to be entertained. IF a cutscene in a videogame is going to provide me with entertainment, what do I care? It's all entertaining in the end. If the cutscene is thrilling and well done, that 90 minutes shouldn't seem like a long time. If it's anything like Lost that is! :P

JayPee89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 JayPee89
Member since 2005 • 3488 Posts

[QUOTE="Blackbond"]Well coming from a guy who doesn't like MGS and wanted to give MGS4 a try this isn't exactly making me excited. I want to play games I don't want to sit around watching them. Couldn't they have taken some hints from Valve on ways to tell story? I mean cutscenes are okay and all but this seems ridiculous. Wish it had cutscenes like RE4 where you can interact with at least. Or does it have them?Blackbond

And it's not just 1. There are several cutscenes that approach the 90 minute mark.
organic_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 organic_machine

Sony lets you wait for games, watch games, basically do everything but play gamesshadow8585

Alright, so, if what you say is true, there must be, therefore, no games out for the PS3. In order for that to be true, Sony bust be the only developer of PS3 games.

So, what you just said is wrong on very very many counts.