Metro Exodus will only release on Epic Store only! Steam users who Pre-order however!

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#201 Fedor
Member since 2015 • 11612 Posts

@jeezers: They take 30% too. Its not a stupid comparison either as Sony and MS don't own the majority of the software they sell. This is a store to store comparison, so in fact bringing up hardware is whats stupid.

Valve doesn't have a monopoly, you dont know what the word means.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#202 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@fedor said:
@jeezers said:

@relentless_games: yup

I'm sick of these gabe dick riders, the man murders valve, trashes every major franchise they had, last game they made was a shitty dota card game littered with micro transactions, valve the company that got me into PC gaming has turned into a launcher that greases developers because they have a monopoly. Steam makes 4.6 billion a year by selling other peoples games. People act like epic is the greedy ones, they are the ones trying to take a small step into steams monopoly, its one game, if you live in america its 50 bucks, these are the types of moves epic has to make if they want to stand a chance. I'm rooting for them, make steam compete dont get mad at epic

Epic is such a great service, can't wait to give them my personal information...

Not forgetting the company behind Epic is Tencent

Which is not a company I would hand my personal information to.

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#203 Fedor

@Jacanuk: Truth.

jeezers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#204  Edited By jeezers
Member since 2007 • 5341 Posts

@fedor: ITS A VERY STUPID COMPARISON

no other game stores get to be on playstations hardware but Sony's, same thing with xbox, switch, YOU ARE PLAYING ON THIER HARDWARE, YOU ARE MAKING GAMES THAT ARE MADE FOR THAT HARDWARE. There is no store competition on consoles.

If a game developer wants to make a PC game, they dont have to check with steam or ask them if they can make thier game for PC, the reason most put thier games on steam, is because STEAM has the biggest install base, because they are a MONOPOLY

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#205  Edited By Fedor

@jeezers said:

@fedor: ITS A VERY STUPID COMPARISON

no other game stores get to be on playstations hardware but Sony's, same thing with xbox, switch, YOU ARE PLAYING ON THIER HARDWARE, YOU ARE MAKING GAMES THAT ARE MADE FOR THAT HARDWARE. There is no store competition on consoles.

If a game developer wants to make a PC game, they dont have to check with steam or ask them if they can make thier game for PC, the reason most put thier games on steam on PC is because STEAM has the biggest install base, because they are a MONOPOLY

You did a great job of killing your monopoly accusation.

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#206 Fedor

@jeezers: Before you write some long winded, idiotic reply... Look up what a monopoly is. My God.

jeezers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#207  Edited By jeezers

@fedor: lol you think that sony has a monopoly for thier own console, thats whats stupid

if you want to pretend steam doesnt have a monopoly on PC go ahead, monopolies only exist in spaces where you have a monopoly over your competition, meaning no one can compete with your capital.

Bringing up consoles is stupid because they are competing hardware, there is no competition within thier own hardware.

epic and steam are competing as storefronts/launchers, they are not hardware, niether made your PC, why you dont understand this I have no clue....

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#208  Edited By Fedor

@jeezers: You must be one of those kids who can't take being wrong.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Monopoly+definition

I also never said Sony or MS had monopolies... Are you dense?

jeezers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#209 jeezers

@fedor: then why are you comparing a store front on PC to a store front on playstations own hardware.

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#210  Edited By Fedor

@jeezers: I compared the % they take from game sales... 30% is standard. If you would have read what I was saying instead of angry posting you'd know this.

jeezers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#211  Edited By jeezers

@fedor: Andrew Carnegie is one of the most famous monopolies in U.S history, he controlled 70% of steel manufacturing. One of the biggest ever,

so my question is this, if you so sure steam doesnt have a monopoly as a pc game storefront, what percentage of all pc games purchased are through steam? Seriously

jeezers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#212 jeezers

@fedor: why does steam deserve 30% when its not even thier hardware??

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#213 Fedor

@jeezers: Andrew Carnagie literally controlled the entire steel industry in the US at one point. Not just 70%. Look it up. Please dont come at me with Bullshit.

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#214  Edited By Fedor

@jeezers: Why do consoles deserve 30%? Its not their games. Stop, you're starting to look dumb.

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#215 NoodleFighter
Member since 2011 • 11796 Posts

@jeezers said:
@fedor said:
@jeezers said:

I'm sick of these gabe dick riders, the man murders valve, trashes every major franchise they had, last game they made was a shitty dota card game littered with micro transactions, valve the company that got me into PC gaming has turned into a launcher that greases developers because they have a monopoly. Steam makes 4.6 billion a year by selling other peoples games. People act like epic is the greedy ones, they are the ones trying to take a small step into steams monopoly, its one game, if you live in america its 50 bucks, these are the types of moves epic has to make if they want to stand a chance. I'm rooting for them, make steam compete dont get mad at epic

Epic is such a great service, can't wait to give them my personal information...

So what?? you think steam had all these features when it started? hell no, only after years of greasing developers they add features to their store, once the store became their bread winner they killed off valve games, their store pulls nearly 5 billion a year, how long as epic games store even been live? Fuckin 2 Months???? so you expect EPIC Game Store to come out at launch with what Steam had after 20 years of revenue streaming into it???

Steam has a monopoly, Epic is actually trying, no one has even attempted because most companies dont have the capital to compete, only reason epic has the capital now is because Fortnite blew the **** up.

Except the difference between Steam and Epic Store is that when Steam first came out there was nothing else like it back in 2003. The Epic Store has Steam to model itself after in terms of features. You're acting like Epic Games was some broke small company before Fortnite when in reality they've been making easy hundreds of millions from hundreds and thousands of games from AAA to Indie using Unreal Engine for nearly 20 years. A lot of the biggest and most popular games use the Unreal Engine so Epic has been getting steady flows of revenue from that not to mention the Gears Of War series was a huge money maker with Gears Of War 3 alone making over $1 billion in revenue.

The reason Steam has a "monopoly" is because of the contributions they've done for PC gaming. Sure it sucks Valve doesn't make games like Half Life and Left 4 Dead anymore but Steam has made a much bigger impact for PC gaming and for the better. The big difference between Valve and these other companies is that they actually care about PC gaming overall. With the exception of CDPR and GOG nearly all the other companies with Steam competitors never really gave a damn about PC gaming. Not too long ago these companies ditched PC gaming and claimed it was dying especially Epic Games using it as a reason to justify not having their games on PC or having consoles be the lead platform. Valve was the only company that stuck with PC gaming even when the Left 4 Dead games sold more on Xbox 360 than PC (although at this point PC sales demolish it). Also speaking of trashing franchises are we just gonna ignore how Epic ditched developing Unreal Tournament 4 so they can focus on more Fortnite crap? The game was supposedly even being crowdsource developed but they won't let the community take over it. As long as Fortnite continues to be a huge hit I doubt Epic Games will bother to make another full fledge game again.

Microsoft's first Steam competitor was Games For Windows Live back in 2007 and it was terrible making the PC gaming experience even worse. They tried to charge PC gamers money for it at first and the support for Games For Windows Live was half assed all the way to the end. Microsoft is one of the wealthiest companies in the world with top tier programmers yet GFWL was horrible what is the excuse for that? Reality is they just didn't give a damn since the Xbox 360 was making them way more money. Really sad that a much smaller company made by one of their former employees does a much better job at pushing PC gaming forward than them.

EA's Origin has been around for almost a decade and it still doesn't have even near half the features Steam has. EA is a multi billion dollar company too. You still can't even take a screenshot with Origin FFS.

What separates Steam from the other stores is the amount of dedication Valve is putting into it while all these other companies only now want to make their own Steam competitor because they see the amount of money Steam is making even though the Steam made that money by pushing forward a standard for PC gaming. What all these companies really just want to do is cut Valve out so they don't have to give them 30% for their games and for some also not having to live up to a refund policy for giving out a trash product (Bethesda and Fallout 76). None of these companies will put that amount of effort into their launchers like Valve does with Steam. Until I start seeing the Epic Store add more features to compete with Steam, it's just another store by a company that doesn't really get PC gaming but wants the money.

jeezers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#216  Edited By jeezers

@fedor: because its their hardware their rules, plain and simple, if you want to make a game for our hardware, you meet our demands, steam doesn't own hardware, besides discontinued steam machines .

jeezers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#217 jeezers

@fedor: nope he never had control of 100% but he controlled the majority

read a book

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#218 Fedor

@jeezers: You should open a dictionary. Do you want me to keep flogging you, kid?

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#219 Fedor

@jeezers: Valves store, Valves rules... Get a clue.

jeezers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#220 jeezers

@fedor said:

@jeezers: Valves store, Valves rules... Get a clue.

which is why metro took the deal with Epic!

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#221 Fedor

@jeezers: Ok? Did you think you were making a point? All you did is further hurt your monopoly argument.

jeezers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#222 jeezers

@NoodleFighter said:
@jeezers said:
@fedor said:
@jeezers said:

So what?? you think steam had all these features when it started? hell no, only after years of greasing developers they add features to their store, once the store became their bread winner they killed off valve games, their store pulls nearly 5 billion a year, how long as epic games store even been live? Fuckin 2 Months???? so you expect EPIC Game Store to come out at launch with what Steam had after 20 years of revenue streaming into it???

Steam has a monopoly, Epic is actually trying, no one has even attempted because most companies dont have the capital to compete, only reason epic has the capital now is because Fortnite blew the **** up.

Except the difference between Steam and Epic Store is that when Steam first came out there was nothing else like it back in 2003. The Epic Store has Steam to model itself after in terms of features. You're acting like Epic Games was some broke small company before Fortnite when in reality they've been making easy hundreds of millions from hundreds and thousands of games from AAA to Indie using Unreal Engine for nearly 20 years. A lot of the biggest and most popular games use the Unreal Engine so Epic has been getting steady flows of revenue from that not to mention the Gears Of War series was a huge money maker with Gears Of War 3 alone making over $1 billion in revenue.

The reason Steam has a "monopoly" is because of the contributions they've done for PC gaming. Sure it sucks Valve doesn't make games like Half Life and Left 4 Dead anymore but Steam has made a much bigger impact for PC gaming and for the better. The big difference between Valve and these other companies is that they actually care about PC gaming overall. With the exception of CDPR and GOG nearly all the other companies with Steam competitors never really gave a damn about PC gaming. Not too long ago these companies ditched PC gaming and claimed it was dying especially Epic Games using it as a reason to justify not having their games on PC or having consoles be the lead platform. Valve was the only company that stuck with PC gaming even when the Left 4 Dead games sold more on Xbox 360 than PC (although at this point PC sales demolish it). Also speaking of trashing franchises are we just gonna ignore how Epic ditched developing Unreal Tournament 4 so they can focus on more Fortnite crap? The game was supposedly even being crowdsource developed but they won't let the community take over it. As long as Fortnite continues to be a huge hit I doubt Epic Games will bother to make another full fledge game again.

Microsoft's first Steam competitor was Games For Windows Live back in 2007 and it was terrible making the PC gaming experience even worse. They tried to charge PC gamers money for it at first and the support for Games For Windows Live was half assed all the way to the end. Microsoft is one of the wealthiest companies in the world with top tier programmers yet GFWL was horrible what is the excuse for that? Reality is they just didn't give a damn since the Xbox 360 was making them way more money. Really sad that a much smaller company made by one of their former employees does a much better job at pushing PC gaming forward than them.

EA's Origin has been around for almost a decade and it still doesn't have even near half the features Steam has. EA is a multi billion dollar company too. You still can't even take a screenshot with Origin FFS.

What separates Steam from the other stores is the amount of dedication Valve is putting into it while all these other companies only now want to make their own Steam competitor because they see the amount of money Steam is making even though the Steam made that money by pushing forward a standard for PC gaming. What all these companies really just want to do is cut Valve out so they don't have to give them 30% for their games and for some also not having to live up to a refund policy for giving out a trash product (Bethesda and Fallout 76). None of these companies will put that amount of effort into their launchers like Valve does with Steam. Until I start seeing the Epic Store add more features to compete with Steam, it's just another store by a company that doesn't really get PC gaming but wants the money.

the way you feel about mega corporations not actually caring about gamers/games and just trying to make money is how i feel about steam .

There is hope tho.. apparently someone at valve leaked that they have been working on something from one of their past franchises.

fingers crossed>>>>>>> Possible new valve game in development

jeezers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#223 jeezers

@fedor said:

@jeezers: Ok? Did you think you were making a point? All you did is further hurt your monopoly argument.

Come on guy.. The whole point is that the epic games store has been the only real competition to steam in decades,

unless you think origin has steam shaking in their boots.

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#224 Fedor

@jeezers: They don't need to make them poop themselves to be comp. Battle.net, origin, Bethesda, MS store, GoG etc... Steam is top dog, not a monopoly.

jeezers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#225 jeezers

@fedor said:

@jeezers: They don't need to make them poop themselves to be comp. Battle.net, origin, Bethesda, MS store, GoG etc... Steam is top dog, not a monopoly.

The only real competition in that list is GoG. Because both GoG and valve dont make the games they sell.

the other ones are companies that actually make games and dont feel a need to pay steam to sell their games on PC.

Expect more and more and more game developers create thier own launchers/stores to avoid paying out Gabe.

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#226 Fedor

@jeezers: Tons of games on MS store they don't make. Now with epic we have 4 stores that do this. Not a monopoly.

jeezers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#227  Edited By jeezers

@fedor said:

@jeezers: Tons of games on MS store they don't make. Now with epic we have 4 stores that do this. Not a monopoly.

that still doesn't prove they dont have a monopoly, Steam was there first that's why they control the digital gaming space on PC, as a PC gamer of the last 15 years you pretty much had steam by default, you might not be able to remember back in the day when storefront/launchers didn't exist and we just bought PC games physical and they played off our drives.

Point is they are loosing ground FINALLY, with game developers using their own launchers and others like GoG and Epic stepping in trying to make moves. Unless valve returns, I see steam eventually just being nothing more than another launcher in 10 years time.

But yup as of right now and the previous 10 years they have been a monopoly.

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#228 Fedor

@jeezers: I dont think we're going to agree on this. I appreciate the passionate discussion though. If we dont talk again, have a good weekend.

jeezers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#229 jeezers

@fedor: agreed, TGIF take care

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#230  Edited By 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23829 Posts

@jeezers said:
@fedor said:

The only real competition in that list is GoG. Because both GoG and valve dont make the games they sell.

the other ones are companies that actually make games and dont feel a need to pay steam to sell their games on PC.

Expect more and more and more game developers create thier own launchers/stores to avoid paying out Gabe.

huh? GOG is owned by CD Project and they do make games they sell on there. Valve does as well not as frequent....

EPIC does not allow developers or publishers to sell copies or keys to 3rd party sellers, while Steam allows this and Steam does not see a dime from the 3rd party sales. So your claim of seeing more and more creating their own launchers/stores to avoid paying Valve is incorrect. Because the resources needed create and maintain their own servers is not possible for smaller devs.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#231  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator  Online
Member since 2014 • 56107 Posts

It needs to be said. Steam never has or had an monopoly, just lack of competition, the same goes for Nvidia themselves. Steam has help & shape PC gaming the way it is today. This Steam hate is very silly. Seems like mostly contrarians and bandwagoneers complaining for the sake of it. The only competing store that really has a compelling feature is GoG. The DRM-free angle really is something to raise your eyebrows about, but the library overlap with Steam is significant, and most GoG games on Steam don't have DRM on Steam either.