Metro Exodus will only release on Epic Store only! Steam users who Pre-order however!

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56091 Posts

Taken from PC Gamer it seems Deep Silver are making a deal with Epic for Metro Exodus to be release over at Epic Store exclusive. As for Steam pre-orders however:

If you have already pre-ordered the game on Steam, you'll get to play it on there. Epic's exact words on that subject are that "any customer with an outstanding pre-order for Metro Exodus on PC through any digital retailer will receive their game as expected." Intriguingly, the game will cost $50 on Epic's store in the US, when it was originally listed on Steam for the usual $59.99. Epic's competitive revenue split of 88/12 is attributed as the reason behind the leaner price. "We are delighted to partner with Epic to bring the digital PC version of Metro Exodus to market," comments Deep Silver CEO Klemens Kundratitz. "Epic's generous revenue terms are a game changer that will allow publishers to invest more into content creation, or pass on savings to the players.

Oh well, no biggie, Epic Store it is for me since I was gonna buy Metro Exodus day one anyways. Steam or not, as long as it's on PC system, no worries for me.

Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2 deactivated-60bf765068a74
Member since 2007 • 9558 Posts

I wonder what ghosts thinks of this move for metro? Seems like a payoff or something went down here.

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 NoodleFighter
Member since 2011 • 11793 Posts

@ProtossRushX: I wonder how much Epic paid for 4A since they're of much higher caliber than your usual indies and are basically borderline AAA.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#4 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34601 Posts

That's a mild annoyance.

jeezers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 jeezers
Member since 2007 • 5341 Posts

The fact that games will launch cheaper on epic because the publishers get a bigger cut is interesting, normally you would think they wouldnt want to cut thier additional profit, this is good for players tho. Epic game store seems to be off to a decent start, will have to see what happens in the next year or 2.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator

@NoodleFighter said:

@ProtossRushX: I wonder how much Epic paid for 4A since they're of much higher caliber than your usual indies and are basically borderline AAA.

Epic is trying it's hard to bring in competition to Steam. I really don't mind this though, Steam needs to compete now more then ever. Just be graceful this isn't console exclusive 3rd party deal, that would be a huge outcry and we saw that example from Rise of the Tomb Raider Xbox One timely exclusive.

I use multiple Clients and I have different game series on different clients like Bioshock 1/2 on GoG & Bioshock Infinite on Steam. I tend to use Epic Store just to buy the games that's only available their and keep the rest on Steam.

That_Old_Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 That_Old_Guy
Member since 2018 • 1233 Posts

I see this becoming a thing.

locus-solus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By locus-solus
Member since 2013 • 1557 Posts

@davillain-: if you go onto steam as of now you can still pre order. probably being taken off in 6 minutes to 66 minutes?

in my library now if it's a mess I can always refund

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7702 Posts
@jeezers said:

The fact that games will launch cheaper on epic because the publishers get a bigger cut is interesting, normally you would think they wouldnt want to cut thier additional profit, this is good for players tho. Epic game store seems to be off to a decent start, will have to see what happens in the next year or 2.

60€ vs 60€ + cheaper deals from cdkey sites for steam keys, so eh

And just in case people haven't quite understood this but: the publishers are leaving Steam because Epic is paying for them to do so.

locus-solus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By locus-solus
Member since 2013 • 1557 Posts

In the Q n A it looks like Metro Exodus is just a one year exclusive

Avatar image for deactivated-5d78760d7d740
deactivated-5d78760d7d740

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 deactivated-5d78760d7d740
Member since 2009 • 16386 Posts

Wow, that's a big deal for Epic.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

No biggie.

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By NoodleFighter
Member since 2011 • 11793 Posts

@davillain- said:
@NoodleFighter said:

Epic is trying it's hard to bring in competition to Steam. I really don't mind this though, Steam needs to compete now more then ever. Just be graceful this isn't console exclusive 3rd party deal, that would be a huge outcry and we saw that example from Rise of the Tomb Raider Xbox One timely exclusive.

I use multiple Clients and I have different game series on different clients like Bioshock 1/2 on GoG & Bioshock Infinite on Steam. I tend to use Epic Store just to buy the games that's only available their and keep the rest on Steam.

Well since Epic is in the mood for spending why don't they buy some PC exclusives that'll teach the consoles, (lol jk). Sure hope this gives Valve a kick in the pants and start making games people actually want like Left 4 Dead 3.

BlackBalls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 BlackBalls
Member since 2018 • 1496 Posts

I like this. How people think competition isn't a good thing, just go to show how blind gamers are and hypocritcle. Epic is offering devs a bigger cut, hence the devs are winning here.

Steam is greedy because up to now, no one has been able to compete against them. Epic is finally as it appears given them a first run for their money, which will make steam have to improve their business practices. I predict they will increase sales costs, give devs a bigger slice of the pie and finally start making some fu$3## games.

We'll see in a year or two, but Epic is starting to make the big moves.

mirautaj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 mirautaj
Member since 2006 • 365 Posts
@jeezers said:

US only. Its 60€ ($68) on steam and epic store in Europe

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#16 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58938 Posts

Wasn't really interested in this game anyways, we gots Resident Evil 2, who cares.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 uninspiredcup

@locus-solus said:

In the Q n A it looks like Metro Exodus is just a one year exclusive

Sorry, are some people actually praising them for bringing this business practice to PC?

Are you... insane?

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 DaVillain  Moderator

@locus-solus said:

@davillain-: if you go onto steam as of now you can still pre order. probably being taken off in 6 minutes to 66 minutes?

Supposedly they posted on the Steam forums that the game will return to Steam in February of 2020 and honestly, I can't see anyone waiting a year later for this despite it's just another client. (though people have said the post was deleted not long after) Assuming this is true, it sounds like timed exclusivity indeed. $50 on Epic Store vs $60 on Steam is pretty much a big deal for a price cut. So yeah, why would I pay $60 when I can get it for $50? Sounds simple enough.

mirautaj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 mirautaj
Member since 2006 • 365 Posts
@davillain- said:
@locus-solus said:

Supposedly they posted on the Steam forums that the game will return to Steam in February of 2020 and honestly, I can't see anyone waiting a year later for this despite it's just another client. (though people have said the post was deleted not long after) Assuming this is true, it sounds like timed exclusivity indeed. $50 on Epic Store vs $60 on Steam is pretty much a big deal for a price cut. So yeah, why would I pay $60 when I can get it for $50? Sounds simple enough.

Its 60€ ($68) on steam and epic store in Europe

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23829 Posts

So.... lets cut our potential customers by 75%, just to get another $11 per copy.... Makes total sense...... Not!

Epic's store just plain sucks its worse than Origin or even Uplay and that's saying something

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#21 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24921 Posts

Doesnot matter anyways. most AAA games abonding steam might be sign that valve will return to thier game one day.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator

@mirautaj: Wait, they made the game $50 on US Epic Store instead of $60 but in the EU, the price on the Epic Store is still 60€, just like it was on Steam, why are EU getting shafted? I'm from the US but this is silly EU getting shafted like that. That's new news to me.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Ghosts4ever

@uninspiredcup said:

Wasn't really interested in this game anyways, we gots Resident Evil 2, who cares.

resident evil always wish it has as good atmosphere as Metro series have and this one will destroy Resident evil 2.

anyways valve has been screwing us all over again. its time for AAA companies to stop practicing thier product so they can return to making games one day.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45101 Posts

Oh man, is the PC Master Race about to split between the Steamers and the Epics?

BlackBalls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 BlackBalls

@04dcarraher said:

So.... lets cut our potential customers by 75%, just to get another $11 per copy.... Makes total sense...... Not!

Epic's store just plain sucks its worse than Origin or even Uplay and that's saying something

Apprently you know more than those developers and publishers, because they totally made this business desicion so that they would go bankrupt. Makes sense.

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Fedor
Member since 2015 • 11612 Posts

I'll skip it until the steam release then. Not too interested in metro atm anyway.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By uninspiredcup

@ghosts4ever said:
@uninspiredcup said:

resident evil always wish it has as good atmosphere as Metro series have and this one will destroy Resident evil 2.

anyways valve has been screwing us all over again. its time for AAA companies to stop practicing thier product so they can return to making games one day.

Metro is very middling franchise with modest sales. Epic is assuming pc gamers are like console gamers where marketing hype and exclusivity is a big factor. It will backfire breeding nothing but resentment and distrust towards the service.

What Valve done on the store page, apologizing for "Epic" and "Deep Silver", was quite ingenious. It paints them (and really, they are), as the bad guys to any consumer reading that.

We should be thankful for Resident Evil 2. It was already a masterpiece, now we get a masterpiece on top of a masterpiece, barring that shitty section with the Crash Bandicoot Alligator.

Who the **** thought that was a good idea?

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#28  Edited By 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23829 Posts

@blackballs said:
@04dcarraher said:

Apprently you know more than those developers and publishers, because they totally made this business desicion so that they would go bankrupt. Makes sense.

Apparently I do.... EPIC paid to get them to move , and on top of the EPIC's 12% cut vs 30% from Valve, while looks enticing now but its going to hurt them more then they think.... Look at Witcher 3 as an example It released on CD's own DD platform GOG, Steam, and even Origin and they made bucket loads.... Limiting yourself on one digital distribution platform is stupid. You want to maximize your potential customer base as quickly as possible. Semi forcing users to go to yet another unproven platform is not good. Especially when your limiting yourself to a new, unproven, feature-less, DD platform....... known to have major issues with security and refunds being non existent

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Ghosts4ever

@uninspiredcup said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@uninspiredcup said:

Metro is very middling franchise with modest sales. Epic is assuming pc gamers are like console gamers where marketing hype and exclusivity is a big factor. It will backfire breeding nothing but resentment and distrust towards the service.

What Valve done on the store page, apologizing for "Epic" and "Deep Silver", was quite ingenious. It paints them (and really, they are), as the bad guys to any consumer reading that.

We should be thankful for Resident Evil 2. It was already a masterpiece, now we get a masterpiece on top of a masterpiece, barring that shitty section with the Crash Bandicoot Alligator.

Who the **** thought that was a good idea?

well this is not a first game that is missing steam but its only for a time being. it will release on steam soon.

however every bethesda game will release on bethesda launcher afterwords. cyberpunk will be gog exclusive. many publishers are abandoning steam

althought resident evil 2 is not masterpiece. its just good/decent game. however Metro will masterpiece be one of the best FPS ever made.

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 7970 Posts

Its a minor inconvenience but I already have Origin, Epic, Uplay, Battlenet and Steam on my PC any way due to beta programs and the games I have to get through them oh and plus MS Store for Forza Horizon 3 and 4.

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Fedor

@ghosts4ever: Good luck running it on that 960 of yours.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#32 madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 10589 Posts

Very irritating, but though in my case not a big deal. My interest in the game was not particularly high, and I was going to buy it on sale at a later date anyway - if I buy it at all. The PC Gamer article mentioned that this is a 1-year exclusivity deal. Perfect. I'll buy it in a year's time.

Still, very, very annoying. In their desperation to compete with Steam, Epic can't seem to offer anything new and beneficial to the customers, so once again they're taking the blunt instrument approach - exclusivity deals - to try to sledgehammer Steam in the face instead. I've never liked platform exclusivity and never will.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Ghosts4ever

@fedor said:

@ghosts4ever: Good luck running it on that 960 of yours.

Its not like i will always have 960. i will upgrade it soon.

although i never buy games on day one no matter how good it is. always wait for month or price drop.

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Fedor

@ghosts4ever: Then how can you speak on the quality of RE2?

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Ghosts4ever

@fedor said:

demo.

although i will get RE2 soon.

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Fedor

@ghosts4ever: Well then your opinion on it is not valid. Better get a beefy GPU for metro, you're gonna need it.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Ghosts4ever

@fedor said:

@ghosts4ever: Well then your opinion on it is not valid. Better get a beefy GPU for metro, you're gonna need it.

my pc run RE2 on high.

beside on epic store. metro is 50 bucks. 10$ less. people are complaining because they cant have too many launcher.

yet everyone buy shitty battlefield games on origins which is worst launcher ever.

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Fedor

@ghosts4ever: Re2 is a well optimized game, although running at 30 fps like you are is a deal breaker for me. I'm not interested in tencents spyware, I'll wait for the steam release. 580's are dirt cheap atm, you should look into them.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#39 deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
Member since 2009 • 6278 Posts

Good, hopefully VALVE will wake up.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26645 Posts

I saw this, and already purchased it on Humble Bundle, so I'll get a Steam copy. If they bring all updates and DLC to the Steam version, then it's whatever, but it sucks for those that wanted to purchase on Steam, but couldn't.

They would have had a better time if they just released Metro for $50 on Epic client and then left the Steam version at $60.

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Howmakewood
@blackballs said:

I like this. How people think competition isn't a good thing, just go to show how blind gamers are and hypocritcle. Epic is offering devs a bigger cut, hence the devs are winning here.

Steam is greedy because up to now, no one has been able to compete against them. Epic is finally as it appears given them a first run for their money, which will make steam have to improve their business practices. I predict they will increase sales costs, give devs a bigger slice of the pie and finally start making some fu$3## games.

You mean Valve should start paying the Publishers for exclusivity too? Yeah that's great competition

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

Competition is a beautiful thing.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26645 Posts
@ghosts4ever said:
@fedor said:

demo.

although i will get RE2 soon.

Nah, you barely experience much of the game with just the RE2 demo. There's a ton more atmosphere you're missing out on without actually playing the full game.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 R4gn4r0k  Online
Member since 2004 • 46274 Posts

I"d rather have it on Steam, not really interested in using the Epic store.

How deep are Epic's pockets?

BlackBalls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 BlackBalls

@howmakewood said:
@blackballs said:

You mean Valve should start paying the Publishers for exclusivity too? Yeah that's great competition

Isn't that was console makers, streaming services and pretty much any business leader does with products?

enzyme36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By enzyme36
Member since 2007 • 5557 Posts

Well that makes this easy.... scratch another game off my to-do list

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Howmakewood
@blackballs said:
@howmakewood said:
@blackballs said:

Isn't that was console makers, streaming services and pretty much any business leader does with products?

Yup and about the last thing consumers wish for

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 R4gn4r0k  Online
Member since 2004 • 46274 Posts

@ghosts4ever said:
@fedor said:

my pc run RE2 on high.

beside on epic store. metro is 50 bucks. 10$ less. people are complaining because they cant have too many launcher.

yet everyone buy shitty battlefield games on origins which is worst launcher ever.

You always bring up Battlefield in each one of your comments like you have some kind of hate/love relationship with it.

Besides, RE 2 is a bunch of really small levels, almost all of it taking place either at night or in the rain.

Metro Exodus has gigantic levels with changing seasons and dynamic lighting. Comparing these games is like comparing Battlefield with ...

Oh wait, you already did.

BlackBalls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 BlackBalls

@howmakewood said:
@blackballs said:
@howmakewood said:
@blackballs said:

Yup and about the last thing consumers wish for

They also don't like a monopoly, but hey - somehow they want that now.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Ghosts4ever

@R4gn4r0k said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@fedor said:

my pc run RE2 on high.

You always bring up Battlefield in each one of your comments like you have some kind of hate/love relationship with it.

Besides, RE 2 is a bunch of really small levels, almost all of it taking place either at night or in the rain.

Metro Exodus has gigantic levels with changing seasons and dynamic lighting. Comparing these games is like comparing Battlefield with ...

Oh wait, you already did.

well i do prefer games on steam but if they are on different launcher it doesnot make them bad. Doom Eternal will be bethesda net exclusive so will Rage 2.

reason i mentioned battlefield is no one complain when EA donot release games on steam. I even have origins only for Titanfall 2 even though i prefer if it was on steam.