LittleBigPlanet is the best platformer of ALL TIME [PROOF INSIDE!]

• 187 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101 ActicEdge
Member since 2008 • 24492 Posts

[QUOTE="ActicEdge"]

Well, I don't really feel like ripping LBP a new one today so I'll just refute your logic. In LBP you can create a variety of cool levels (no perfection recreations though) but due to not being able to change how the platforming is performed, thus being restricted to one platforming mechanic and not being able to recreate things like power ups (for legal reasons and etc), LBP will never be able to recreate even the most basic platformer perfectly. Also, Yoshi's Island is the best Platformer ever. I don't need proof, it is because that is how the world intended it to be. It was chosen by a higher power.

xX-Incubus-Xx

Super Mario World is the best platformer of all time. Yoshis Island doesn't even compare...imo. but both are leaps and bounds better then most, if not all, other platformers.

I see, well you are wrong but I see. SMW was my first game. Holds a special place in my gaming heart. Yoshi's Island still slaps it silly however. In so many different ways. Toshi's Island doesn't compare though. You can't compare and excellent game like Super Mario World to the God and pinnacle of platforming that is Yoshi's Island.

bowser3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 63

#102 bowser3
Member since 2008 • 446 Posts

LBP is great game, no doubt about that and sure it does crush some of mario's games, but does it crush all of them?? NO IT DOESNT. Sorry but you just cant compare all the amazing titles that mario has brought over the years, with just LBP. Cant compare the greatness of this,

with this,

Mantleman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103 Mantleman
Member since 2009 • 340 Posts
I love LBP to death (one of my favorite of the generation) I still don't think it's the best platformer of all time or anything like that. I think you're going a little overboard there. NAPK1NS
This TC ALWAYS go's overboard when it come to games he loves.
AndyAlfredo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#104 AndyAlfredo
Member since 2009 • 1402 Posts

[QUOTE="AndyAlfredo"]

[QUOTE="VendettaRed07"]

And actually good platforming and fun jumping

ActicEdge

In comparison to... Mario?

Who said Mario HAS to be the standard for platforming? I swear, it either plays exactly like Mario or it sucks as a platformer. I think LBPs physics give it unique, challenging gameplay. If you actually OWN the game, go look for fun, tough, well-made levels and LBP not only holds up against Mario but surpasses it in many areas. Sure, Mario games are streamlined, fast, arcadey (Modern Warfare comes to mind as an FPS similarity) and that provides fun, but it doesn't mean that LBPs platforming isn't good or isn't fun (KZ2 here) It's different. Accept it. Play it. Love it.

No one has ever said Mario was the standard. People often bring up Mario since it is seen as the pinnacle of the genre but it is not the standard. I just find it amusing how whenever someone says something negative about a game people like the accusation is they haven't played it.No one thinks LBP surpasses or meets Mario because it does not meet the requirements they consider necessary for a mario rivaling platformer. Oh noez!11!! Its not that people dislike or can't accept change (I'm pretty positive everyone loved 2D Sonic did they not?), its simply a mtter of not thinking LBP holds up. If you do cool, some of us do not however.

People normally imply Mario as the standard, though. I accept that LBP is not perfect and not as streamlined, but everyone must bring up Mario games in the platformer argument. I'm not tearing apart Mario, I just want people to stop calling LBP a terrible platformer (it happens all the time, if you haven't noticed) Just defending a game I loved and played to death.

789shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#105 789shadow
Member since 2006 • 20195 Posts

[QUOTE="NAPK1NS"]I love LBP to death (one of my favorite of the generation) I still don't think it's the best platformer of all time or anything like that. I think you're going a little overboard there. Mantleman
This TC ALWAYS go's overboard when it come to games he loves.

Understatement. He always goes overboard, period. Also, he's pretty much just pretending.

dragonfly110

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#106 dragonfly110
Member since 2008 • 27955 Posts

[QUOTE="dragonfly110"]

[QUOTE="tirralirra"] Pfft, Banjo hasn't been up to its standards since the original.tirralirra

lol wat are you talking about? THe second one is considered superiour to the original in almost every way, and yea nuts and Bolts isnt as good, but it was still good enough to beat Gears of War 2 and Fable 2 for Xbox 360 GOTY on giant bomb last year ;)

Disagree. I was a avid avid fan of Banjo, I think i was about 13 when i played it. I was a Nintendo fanboy at the time and the level designs, music, pacing, puzzling, everything just has not been on par with the original. Maybe it was because its the first, but oh well. 2nd one was good, but not the same i don;t think. Most memorable moment, the level in the original with the 4 seasons. that was pure genius and i loved the music for it too. Someone please help me on whethr R&C is worth getting, any of them for PS3 and why?

yea Click Clock woods is currently tied with jolly rogers lagoon as my fav level.

also I cant recommend Ratchet and clank enough, it is probably my favorite Sony franchise atm.

OreoMilkshake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#107 OreoMilkshake
Member since 2009 • 12833 Posts
No that's Super Mario World.
Avatar image for 205212669269561485377169522720

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#108 205212669269561485377169522720
Member since 2005 • 14458 Posts

[QUOTE="tirralirra"][QUOTE="dragonfly110"]

lol wat are you talking about? THe second one is considered superiour to the original in almost every way, and yea nuts and Bolts isnt as good, but it was still good enough to beat Gears of War 2 and Fable 2 for Xbox 360 GOTY on giant bomb last year ;)

dragonfly110

Disagree. I was a avid avid fan of Banjo, I think i was about 13 when i played it. I was a Nintendo fanboy at the time and the level designs, music, pacing, puzzling, everything just has not been on par with the original. Maybe it was because its the first, but oh well. 2nd one was good, but not the same i don;t think. Most memorable moment, the level in the original with the 4 seasons. that was pure genius and i loved the music for it too. Someone please help me on whethr R&C is worth getting, any of them for PS3 and why?

yea Click Clock woods is currently tied with jolly rogers lagoon as my fav level.

also I cant recommend Ratchet and clank enough, it is probably my favorite Sony franchise atm.

Dragon I'm sorry but Spyro 2 is the best! *runs*

ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 ActicEdge

[QUOTE="ActicEdge"]

[QUOTE="AndyAlfredo"]

Who said Mario HAS to be the standard for platforming? I swear, it either plays exactly like Mario or it sucks as a platformer. I think LBPs physics give it unique, challenging gameplay. If you actually OWN the game, go look for fun, tough, well-made levels and LBP not only holds up against Mario but surpasses it in many areas. Sure, Mario games are streamlined, fast, arcadey (Modern Warfare comes to mind as an FPS similarity) and that provides fun, but it doesn't mean that LBPs platforming isn't good or isn't fun (KZ2 here) It's different. Accept it. Play it. Love it.

AndyAlfredo

No one has ever said Mario was the standard. People often bring up Mario since it is seen as the pinnacle of the genre but it is not the standard. I just find it amusing how whenever someone says something negative about a game people like the accusation is they haven't played it.No one thinks LBP surpasses or meets Mario because it does not meet the requirements they consider necessary for a mario rivaling platformer. Oh noez!11!! Its not that people dislike or can't accept change (I'm pretty positive everyone loved 2D Sonic did they not?), its simply a mtter of not thinking LBP holds up. If you do cool, some of us do not however.

People normally imply Mario as the standard, though. I accept that LBP is not perfect and not as streamlined, but everyone must bring up Mario games in the platformer argument. I'm not tearing apart Mario, I just want people to stop calling LBP a terrible platformer (it happens all the time, if you haven't noticed) Just defending a game I loved and played to death.

True, Mario is often applied as the standard which in essence is not fair since the best franchises aren't really the standard, they are the exception. I think in general Mario often are the best platformers (you could easily argue Sonic though imo, those games had tons of depth) however. LBP platforming is diffeent but I just think the lack of variety in your actual abilities as sack boy doesn't allow it the flexibilty that other platformers have. It does its own thing which is cool but I think that the control you have over your avatar and how you can execute abilities as well as gain them are indeed important.

ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 ActicEdge

[QUOTE="dragonfly110"]

[QUOTE="tirralirra"] Disagree. I was a avid avid fan of Banjo, I think i was about 13 when i played it. I was a Nintendo fanboy at the time and the level designs, music, pacing, puzzling, everything just has not been on par with the original. Maybe it was because its the first, but oh well. 2nd one was good, but not the same i don;t think. Most memorable moment, the level in the original with the 4 seasons. that was pure genius and i loved the music for it too. Someone please help me on whethr R&C is worth getting, any of them for PS3 and why?sanim02

Spyro 2 is pretty damn bad ass. Love that game.

Mr_Apple_Soup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 Mr_Apple_Soup
Member since 2006 • 3580 Posts

LBP is pretty weak in the platforming department

there have been tons of better platformers...and by tons, i cannot stretch that enough

hell of a game though

AndyAlfredo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 AndyAlfredo
Member since 2009 • 1402 Posts

[QUOTE="AndyAlfredo"]

[QUOTE="ActicEdge"]

ActicEdge

True, Mario is often applied as the standard which in essence is not fair since the best franchises aren't really the standard, they are the exception. I think in general Mario often are the best platformers (you could easily argue Sonic though imo, those games had tons of depth) however. LBP platforming is diffeent but I just think the lack of variety in your actual abilities as sack boy doesn't allow it the flexibilty that other platformers have. It does its own thing which is cool but I think that the control you have over your avatar and how you can execute abilities as well as gain them are indeed important.

Agreed. Abilities, power-ups, LBP is definitely lacking (I'm going to hope for some DLC) I put a LOT of time into SMB3 (on the GBA) just beating every level so I can go back and do whatever I want whenever, and I love the platforming element on Mario and Luigi: SS (getting ready for Inside Story) Great games, just don't want people always comparing.

o0MrCheesy0o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 o0MrCheesy0o
Member since 2009 • 139 Posts

Best platformer is Abe's Oddysee and Abe's Exodus. End of discussion O_O

Avatar image for deactivated-5b78379493e12
deactivated-5b78379493e12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#114 deactivated-5b78379493e12
Member since 2005 • 15625 Posts

[QUOTE="sanim02"]

[QUOTE="dragonfly110"]

ActicEdge

It's the best of the original trilogy, but all three are awesome.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 205212669269561485377169522720

[QUOTE="ActicEdge"]

[QUOTE="sanim02"]

jimkabrhel

Yeah man wish Insomniac still had the rights to it.. I felt soooo burnt when I got Enter the Dragonfly....:|

DaViD_99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#116 DaViD_99
Member since 2007 • 2496 Posts

[QUOTE="ActicEdge"]

[QUOTE="sanim02"]

jimkabrhel

Question, does the trilogy still hold up today? Love platformers but never played any spyro games before, but year of the dragon seems to be the best one (psp). I just don't know if they aged well.
Avatar image for deactivated-5b78379493e12
deactivated-5b78379493e12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#117 deactivated-5b78379493e12
Member since 2005 • 15625 Posts

[QUOTE="jimkabrhel"]

[QUOTE="ActicEdge"]

DaViD_99

Question, does the trilogy still hold up today? Love platformers but never played any spyro games before, but year of the dragon seems to be the best one (psp). I just don't know if they aged well.

It really does. I own all three from PSN, and while there is a slight bit of nostalgia, I admit, the games are great looking for PS games and the 3D platforming is top=notch.

ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 ActicEdge

[QUOTE="jimkabrhel"]

[QUOTE="ActicEdge"]

DaViD_99

Its my favourite platformers to play when I'm super bored or sick. (even more than Mario). I think they hold up nicely. Better than crash bandicoot.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 205212669269561485377169522720

[QUOTE="jimkabrhel"]

[QUOTE="ActicEdge"]

DaViD_99

Oh hell yeah, of course they are worth the purchase. I think it has aged better than Mario 64. Just my 2 cents.

DaViD_99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 DaViD_99
Member since 2007 • 2496 Posts
Alright thanks. Hopefully it will play well on PSP though...
WTA2k5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 120

#121 WTA2k5
Member since 2005 • 3999 Posts

LBP was boring. I'm all for cutsiness, and customization, but they've been done in games before that actual were fun in their core gameplay. Once you get passed the cuteness and customization (which, admittedly, takes a while) LBP just isn't all that fun to play.

DonPerian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#122 DonPerian
Member since 2005 • 3773 Posts
So...where is the proof? All I see is an opinion.
VendettaRed07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 VendettaRed07
Member since 2007 • 14012 Posts

[QUOTE="VendettaRed07"]

[QUOTE="Deadly_Fatalis"] Nostalgia. AndyAlfredo

And actually good platforming and fun jumping

I know LBP is a fantastic game but not that good of a platformer, I like the racing levels and exploring what other crazy stuff people create butt to but the floaty gameplay really hurt it. I think even MM realized this because LBP on the psp the game controls much tighter and, well the core gameplay is better because if it. If LBP on the ps3 controlled better I think it would have made the game much more exciting

tirralirra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 tirralirra
Member since 2009 • 2261 Posts
Spyro 2? Yeah you better run. Spyro gets spit-roasted by Banjo-Kazooie for breakfast! ...
Haito_81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 Haito_81
Member since 2009 • 186 Posts

and why not LBP and mario together ???MARIO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VInEPt7Dn4I

insomnia37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#126 insomnia37
Member since 2004 • 1442 Posts

I have to say that I had much more fun with LBP then I did with mario back in the day.But best platformer of all time?! Thats debatable.

Avatar image for Lord_Omikron666
Lord_Omikron666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 Lord_Omikron666
Member since 2007 • 4838 Posts

Sorry, but Mario wins.

Waffle_Fish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#128 Waffle_Fish
Member since 2008 • 2074 Posts
Then do it, make all of the incredible levels from SMB3, SMBW, etc. Fact is, you could do all that sure, but... 1. No one has 2. No one will 3. No one will ever replicate the levels well enough to make them equally as fun as they originally were Not only that but, LBP creation tools cannot replicate the Egg throwing techniques in Yoshi's Island or the gravity physics in SMG.
TheOldOlder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 TheOldOlder
Member since 2009 • 1212 Posts
I havent played a better one this gen
Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15581 Posts

Every time I see aku101 making a thread, with the words "proof inside" in the title, I know there's some lol worthy trolling going on.

This thread did not disappoint.

And no, LBP isn't even cloes to best platformer ever, as that title goes to Banjo Tooie.

krazy-blazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#131 krazy-blazer
Member since 2009 • 1759 Posts
Now this is clearly Advertisement.
metroidfood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 metroidfood
Member since 2007 • 11175 Posts

Mario has a Penguin Suit. Your argument is invalid.

Number_1_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 Number_1_Gamer
Member since 2007 • 1786 Posts

Huh? You said proof inside. I clicked the link, and there is no proof. And LBP pales to games like Super Mario Galaxy. It doesn't even allow for the creation of complex 3-D levels like Galaxy has. It only allows for 2-D levels with a bit of "depth" in that you can move slightly "away"/"toward" the camera. It doesn't have the same physics, mechanics, player moves, or player upgrades as the Mario games either, making it impossible to replicate even SMB1.

Haito_81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134 Haito_81
Member since 2009 • 186 Posts

metroidfood

You know :oops: sackboy have one too sackboy

Number_1_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135 Number_1_Gamer
Member since 2007 • 1786 Posts
[QUOTE="MonsieurX"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkDlB0tVV_8&feature=fvw Plays the exact same way as SMB3!

I hope you're being sarcastic. It doesn't play ANYTHING like any Mario game: -the physics, gameplay, and powerups aren't remotely similar -no plant coming out of the pipe. it's in the background, but doesn't do anything. -bricks don't move when you hit them from below -no powerups (or anything) come out of any of the bricks when you hit them
VideoGameGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136 VideoGameGuy
Member since 2002 • 7695 Posts
First off LBP controls are complete garbage and Mario's level desighns are borderline genius at times. You can go ahead and try to find a gem here and there on LBP (good luck) but in the end you still have to deal with crappy controls.
nintendo-wins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137 nintendo-wins
Member since 2009 • 162 Posts

[QUOTE="metroidfood"]

Haito_81

You know :oops: sackboy have one too

Sackboy may have a penguin-like suit, but does it allow him to throw ice balls at enemies, make belly slides, or make him swim underwater efficiently like Mario's Penguin Suit?

Avatar image for sonicthemegaman
sonicthemegaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#138 sonicthemegaman
Member since 2008 • 3783 Posts
Not even close. LBP has pretty crappy gameplay.
razgriz_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139 razgriz_101
Member since 2007 • 16875 Posts

go back to ancient times and find a game called Sonic the Hedgehog 2 or Super Mario World play them come back then try saying LBP is the best.Those two still steamroll any platformer today and thats the truth it was a simpler time and much more fun.

LBP's fun but it looses its shine rather quick i like it but i hardly play it at all.

tirralirra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140 tirralirra
Member since 2009 • 2261 Posts
Not even close. LBP has pretty crappy gameplay.sonicthemegaman
Simple gameplay =/= crappy
Jake145222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141 Jake145222
Member since 2009 • 230 Posts
why do people feed this obvious troll(aku101)?
Spanks113

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142 Spanks113
Member since 2006 • 303 Posts
Mario--->DK---Banjo--->Conker--->Somewhere at the end is LBP
DoomZaW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#143 DoomZaW
Member since 2007 • 6475 Posts

Aku101, we all thought you were banned for a minute..... goddammit

Asim90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144 Asim90
Member since 2005 • 3692 Posts

Super Mario World is the best, LBP doesn't come close to the greatness of it.

Burning-Sludge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145 Burning-Sludge
Member since 2008 • 4068 Posts

[QUOTE="sonicthemegaman"]Not even close. LBP has pretty crappy gameplay.tirralirra
Simple gameplay =/= crappy

crappy gameplay == crappy gameplay

Pixel-Pirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#146 Pixel-Pirate
Member since 2009 • 10771 Posts

Super Mario Bros 3 says hi. Oh wait, it's Aku, so I'm sure all posts not praising PS3 will get ignored.

xxxWigginsxxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147 xxxWigginsxxx
Member since 2005 • 1181 Posts

[QUOTE="Giancar"]

*cough cough*

Aku101

I can make all of SMB3 in LBP and more.

you can mimick and levels of SMB3 but its NOT SMB3.. at all......
shadow_hosi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#148 shadow_hosi
Member since 2006 • 9543 Posts
mario is better sackboy should just go die in a fire
Doctor-McNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149 Doctor-McNinja
Member since 2009 • 1515 Posts

It's simple, with LBP's level editor you can create any level that you want and you can take it as far as your imagination wants to go.

Aku101
But that just isn't true. The problem with LBP is that you can make an awesome, creative, brilliant-looking level but at the end of the day it will always involve jumping from one end of it to the other. LBP needed to allow custom gameplay, not just custom levels. Creating your own level is ultimately pointless when the gameplay is always going to be the same. That's just my opinion anyway.
SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44185 Posts

I guess you... :P