LittleBigPlanet is the best platformer of ALL TIME [PROOF INSIDE!]

• 187 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

sxdx89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 sxdx89
Member since 2003 • 3009 Posts

[QUOTE="paradigm68"][QUOTE="Aku101"]

But 3D platformers are terrible. See sonic and mario when they went 3D.

Aku101

...wtf are you talking about Mario 3D platformers are awesome. And very highly praised. Though the Sonic ones mostly sucked, well actually i loved those two on the dreamcast.

mario 64 and sunshine were terrible in comparison to their 2D predecessors, i haven't played SMG yet but when I do i'll give it a fair review but I'm not expecting much.

How can you not be expecting much? It wont GotY and it's like the highest rated game this gen? Higher than LBP I might add.

Burning-Sludge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52 Burning-Sludge
Member since 2008 • 4068 Posts

[QUOTE="ActicEdge"]

Here Aku, let me destroy this argument with one simple point. LBP is 2D. How is it going to recreate a 3D platformer?

Aku101

It's mostly Sonic Team's fault that Sonic didn't work in 3D recently. Mario worked great in 3D.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts
9.5 SMG > 9.0 LBP lololol :roll:
BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#54 BioShockOwnz
Member since 2006 • 52901 Posts

As much as I love Mario, this is debatable. Plus, LBP's soundtrack and graphical design win hands down. LBP also has a lot more variety, and gameplay's pretty similar. Very debatable.

brickdoctor

I'm pretty sure LBP's soundtrack will be forgotten or already is. Mario's music has been featured everywhere.

And the gameplay isn't similar. They're both platformers. That's where the similarities end. LBP's 3 layer stages, which can be janky and problematic, and the physics are floating and imprecise by comparison to the best there is (ie: Mario).

PannicAtack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 PannicAtack
Member since 2006 • 21040 Posts
You can recreate levels from other platformers, but that doesn't replicate the gameplay.
caughtjoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#56 caughtjoo
Member since 2009 • 975 Posts

[QUOTE="brickdoctor"]

As much as I love Mario, this is debatable. Plus, LBP's soundtrack and graphical design win hands down. LBP also has a lot more variety, and gameplay's pretty similar. Very debatable.

ActicEdge

No its not, LBP lacks basically everything it takes to be a top tier platformer. Graphical design and soundtrack are not part of that. Not as if LBP even wins hands down in those areas either. Variety, important, was the variety up to par? Not really. Gameplay, LBP is like a simplified MArio game stripped of any design brilliance and finess. If that's what you meant then sure. LBP does not hold a candle to SMB3, SMW, SMW2:YI, SMG, Sonic 2, Sonic 3, Crash Bandicoot 3, Kirby's adventre, Spyro 2, Donkey Kong Country 2 etc

So many good platformers :cry:

PannicAtack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 PannicAtack

[QUOTE="Aku101"]

[QUOTE="ActicEdge"]

Here Aku, let me destroy this argument with one simple point. LBP is 2D. How is it going to recreate a 3D platformer?

Burning-Sludge

It's mostly Sonic Team's fault that Sonic didn't work in 3D recently. Mario worked great in 3D.

I thought the first Sonic Adventure game on the Dreamcast was well-received...
Avatar image for deactivated-5b78379493e12
deactivated-5b78379493e12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#58 deactivated-5b78379493e12
Member since 2005 • 15625 Posts

It's simple, with LBP's level editor you can create any level that you want and you can take it as far as your imagination wants to go. You can also recreate levels from other platformers therefore making them obsolete. I don't understand how people say the LBp's platforming is too easy when all platformers are easy and simple in gameplay mechanics. What makes platformers difficult is the level. You can easily make a difficult level in LBP to please the hardcore crowd.

LBP plays the same as mario and both are equally simple in gameplay but LBP totally crushes the mario franchsie with a custom level editor which mario does not have. In the end LBP has the endless replay value to back it up while mario does not. LBP is therefore the best platformer of ALL TIME.

Aku101

While the level editor is great, LBP's platforming is nowhere near as tight as SMB3 or SMBW. Sackboy flies around out of control quite a bit, which is quite annoying. It needs a lot of refinement to be truly great platforming.

PannicAtack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 PannicAtack
Also, isn't LBP rated E? What relevance does it have for adults that Pixar's film 'Up' doesn't?
Avatar image for nintendofreak_2
nintendofreak_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#60 nintendofreak_2
Member since 2005 • 25896 Posts

Over 50 posts and not one person has made a Kanye reference with that title?

For shame. :P

Anyway, from my experience with LBP, it's a bit too floaty and the controls are just over all not that good. That pretty much knocks it out of the running for best platformer right there.

DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#61 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts
No. The best platformer of all-time would also have the best platforming mechanics, which LittleBigPlanet doesn't even come close to. It's a good game, but it's not the best.
DaViD_99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#62 DaViD_99
Member since 2007 • 2496 Posts

I agree that Super Mario Galaxy is the best... I've never played a more perfect platformer.

psn8214
This man speaks the truth.
BuryMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 104

#63 BuryMe
Member since 2004 • 22017 Posts

It's simple, with LBP's level editor you can create any level that you want and you can take it as far as your imagination wants to go. You can also recreate levels from other platformers therefore making them obsolete. I don't understand how people say the LBp's platforming is too easy when all platformers are easy and simple in gameplay mechanics. What makes platformers difficult is the level. You can easily make a difficult level in LBP to please the hardcore crowd.

LBP plays the same as mario and both are equally simple in gameplay but LBP totally crushes the mario franchsie with a custom level editor which mario does not have. In the end LBP has the endless replay value to back it up while mario does not. LBP is therefore the best platformer of ALL TIME.

Aku101

That's all well and good for people who like to make their own stuff for games. But for those of us that would rather play games than make them, there are better options out there

SparkyProtocol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#64 SparkyProtocol
Member since 2009 • 7680 Posts
I do not know. Scribblenauts gives every other 2-D platformer a run for their money.
PannicAtack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 PannicAtack
I do not know. Scribblenauts gives every other 2-D platformer a run for their money.SparkyProtocol
Eh. I dunno. The controls were annoying.
DaViD_99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 DaViD_99
Member since 2007 • 2496 Posts
I do not know. Scribblenauts gives every other 2-D platformer a run for their money.SparkyProtocol
Lol you're so funny.
alextherussian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 alextherussian
Member since 2009 • 2642 Posts
Deus Ex is a carbon copy of Doom, Chess requires no skill, Crysis only counts if played at highest@1980@60fps. This is the first thread by you that might have a chance for normal discussion, though given your precedent highly doubtful...
dragonfly110

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#68 dragonfly110
Member since 2008 • 27955 Posts

Little Big Planet being the best 2D platformer I could agree with, but best platformer in general, IM sorry but no, there are plenty that I know of that imo beat it tenfold. (of course its all opinion.)

tirralirra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 tirralirra
Member since 2009 • 2261 Posts
It is really good, had ALOT more enjoyment out of it that SMG... but the best? nah... LBP2 with alot more features/options maybe :D Birdy09
No LBP2. That's be silly. Instead, its constant flow of DLC, ie, more MM levels, more tools etc etc Also, on the subject of good PS3 platformers, does anyone wanna tell me if I should get any new R&C games, if so, why?
tirralirra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 tirralirra

[QUOTE="Aku101"]

BuryMe

That's all well and good for people who like to make their own stuff for games. But for those of us that would rather play games than make them, there are better options out there

Er...that's why people make them for you. Seriously, this games makes people seems creative and intelligent...some of the best levels are user made ones. Play them, oh wait you can't cos you're a lem...just a guess judging your post.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#71 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61524 Posts

Make a fully 3D platforming level.

Then come back to me.

It's great, but i'd take other games over it (still waiting on my SMG :evil: )

Avatar image for deactivated-5b78379493e12
deactivated-5b78379493e12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#72 deactivated-5b78379493e12
Member since 2005 • 15625 Posts

Aku101

Grasping at straws now are we?

But that's what you are doing.

nervmeister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 nervmeister
Member since 2005 • 15377 Posts

Aku101

Prepare to be lynched by an epic mob of Mario fans (and a few Crash Bandicoot fans :P)

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#74 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts
Boy, I missed the non sense, "my opinion is fact, PROOF inside" threads you create Aku101.
dragonfly110

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 dragonfly110

[QUOTE="Aku101"]

nervmeister

Prepare to be lynched by an epic mob of Mario fans (and a few Crash Bandicoot fans :P)

if I werent in a good mood hed be getting lynched by the local banjo kazooie fan too :P

Burning-Sludge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 Burning-Sludge
Member since 2008 • 4068 Posts

Except for the other ones on the DS.

ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 ActicEdge
Member since 2008 • 24492 Posts

[QUOTE="BuryMe"]

[QUOTE="Aku101"]

tirralirra

Er...that's why people make them for you. Seriously, this games makes people seems creative and intelligent...some of the best levels are user made ones. Play them, oh wait you can't cos you're a lem...just a guess judging your post.

No offense but nothing in the user made content of LBP is going to match levels like Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy, Ultimate Castle perfection, the whole special world of SMW, Tons of levels in SMG, lots of crash bandicoot and spyro goodness, DKC etc. He most certainly isn't a lem, just someone who is aware that LBP can't hang with the big boys in terms of actual ya know, platforming.

kate_jones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 kate_jones
Member since 2007 • 3221 Posts

I love LBP, it's one of my fave games, but a mario level isn't a substitute for mario :( . The enemy AI is sadly pretty limited in LBP, hopefully it's something they work on in patch. See you all soon in the water :)

nervmeister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 nervmeister
Member since 2005 • 15377 Posts

[QUOTE="nervmeister"]

[QUOTE="Aku101"]

dragonfly110

if I werent in a good mood hed be getting lynched by the local banjo kazooie fan too :P

Perhaps the reason why said "fan" is in a good mood is because he and his associates just got done lynching the Rare execs who came up with the concept behind Nuts & Bolts? :P

dragonfly110

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 dragonfly110

[QUOTE="dragonfly110"]

[QUOTE="nervmeister"]Prepare to be lynched by an epic mob of Mario fans (and a few Crash Bandicoot fans :P)

nervmeister

Perhaps the reason why said "fan" is in a good mood is because he and his associates just got done lynching the Rare execs who came up with the concept behind Nuts & Bolts? :P

more like lynching microsoft for cancelling kameo 2, since this said fan happened to like Nuts and Bolts, despite being an utter disgrace to the series in terms of platforming.

Yandere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 Yandere
Member since 2009 • 9878 Posts

I can find programs online that create better levels then LBP.

Eddie5vs1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 Eddie5vs1
Member since 2004 • 6085 Posts
[QUOTE="Aku101"]

[QUOTE="ActicEdge"]

:shock: Seriously?!? Super Mario 64 was one of the greatest games of all time! (lol, that sounds like something Kanye would say :P)
tirralirra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 tirralirra

[QUOTE="nervmeister"]

[QUOTE="Aku101"]

dragonfly110

Pfft, Banjo hasn't been up to its standards since the original.
PannicAtack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 PannicAtack

You can re-create a Castlevania level in Half-Life 2, but...

dragonfly110

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 dragonfly110

[QUOTE="dragonfly110"]

[QUOTE="nervmeister"]Prepare to be lynched by an epic mob of Mario fans (and a few Crash Bandicoot fans :P)

tirralirra

lol wat are you talking about? THe second one is considered superiour to the original in almost every way, and yea nuts and Bolts isnt as good, but it was still good enough to beat Gears of War 2 and Fable 2 for Xbox 360 GOTY on giant bomb last year ;)

Sonick54

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 Sonick54
Member since 2005 • 7947 Posts
honestly, unless you have the patience and creativity to create an amazing level in LBP, then the game will become old fast. and weeding through the crap to find the gem levels is a chore IMO
VendettaRed07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#87 VendettaRed07
Member since 2007 • 14012 Posts

[QUOTE="Aku101"]

[QUOTE="Giancar"] but not the platforming aspects... that being said LBP is one of the best titles this gen for sure

Deadly_Fatalis

What platforming aspects can't i recreate in lbp ithat's in smb3?

Nostalgia.

And actually good platforming and fun jumping

tirralirra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 tirralirra

[QUOTE="tirralirra"][QUOTE="dragonfly110"]

dragonfly110

lol wat are you talking about? THe second one is considered superiour to the original in almost every way, and yea nuts and Bolts isnt as good, but it was still good enough to beat Gears of War 2 and Fable 2 for Xbox 360 GOTY on giant bomb last year ;)

Disagree. I was a avid avid fan of Banjo, I think i was about 13 when i played it. I was a Nintendo fanboy at the time and the level designs, music, pacing, puzzling, everything just has not been on par with the original. Maybe it was because its the first, but oh well. 2nd one was good, but not the same i don;t think. Most memorable moment, the level in the original with the 4 seasons. that was pure genius and i loved the music for it too. Someone please help me on whethr R&C is worth getting, any of them for PS3 and why?
93soccer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 93soccer
Member since 2009 • 4602 Posts

Aku's back!!! Yeah!!!! More quote worthy stuff coming soo from Aku!
BTW, I totally disagree with your statement

I would rather have:

The fat, Italian plumber over

This guy any day

AndyAlfredo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 AndyAlfredo
Member since 2009 • 1402 Posts

[QUOTE="Deadly_Fatalis"][QUOTE="Aku101"]

What platforming aspects can't i recreate in lbp ithat's in smb3?

VendettaRed07

Nostalgia.

In comparison to... Mario?

Who said Mario HAS to be the standard for platforming? I swear, it either plays exactly like Mario or it sucks as a platformer. I think LBPs physics give it unique, challenging gameplay. If you actually OWN the game, go look for fun, tough, well-made levels and LBP not only holds up against Mario but surpasses it in many areas. Sure, Mario games are streamlined, fast, arcadey (Modern Warfare comes to mind as an FPS similarity) and that provides fun, but it doesn't mean that LBPs platforming isn't good or isn't fun (KZ2 here) It's different. Accept it. Play it. Love it.

AndyAlfredo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 AndyAlfredo

I would rather have:

This guy any day

93soccer

This beats a plumber.

(Sorry I couldn't find a better picture)

tirralirra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 tirralirra

I would rather have:

This guy any day

93soccer

Mario started in the 1900's as a pack of cards. I would link you, but i can't find it on the internet. I read it in an old nintendo magazine back when the N64 was top trump

Edit: ^^^your profile pic is sooo fit for this place. Im surprised people don't get modded for making similar, most of the time, exactly the same topics. Shows how noobish this place is really.

AndyAlfredo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 AndyAlfredo

Mario started in the 1900's as a pack of cards. I would link you, but i can't find it on the internet. I read it in an old nintendo magazine back when the N64 was top trump

tirralirra

My dad has an old Mario game where your packing liquor. It folded up, kinda like a sideways GBA SP. Kinda like a Game n' Watch game.

Mantleman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 Mantleman
Member since 2009 • 340 Posts

Aku101

This definitely proves your fanboyism

Goomba_Lord37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 Goomba_Lord37
Member since 2008 • 5381 Posts

Super Mario World>LittleBigPlanet

LBP is a fantastic game, but it is not the best platformer of all time IMO.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#96 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts
This thread reminds me of some boxing fans who actually believe Floyd Mayweather is a better boxer than Sugar Ray Robinson. It's whatever they like is the best ever. No proof in reality and no logic to the argument.
ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 ActicEdge
Member since 2008 • 24492 Posts

[QUOTE="VendettaRed07"]

[QUOTE="Deadly_Fatalis"] Nostalgia. AndyAlfredo

In comparison to... Mario?

Who said Mario HAS to be the standard for platforming? I swear, it either plays exactly like Mario or it sucks as a platformer. I think LBPs physics give it unique, challenging gameplay. If you actually OWN the game, go look for fun, tough, well-made levels and LBP not only holds up against Mario but surpasses it in many areas. Sure, Mario games are streamlined, fast, arcadey (Modern Warfare comes to mind as an FPS similarity) and that provides fun, but it doesn't mean that LBPs platforming isn't good or isn't fun (KZ2 here) It's different. Accept it. Play it. Love it.

No one has ever said Mario was the standard. People often bring up Mario since it is seen as the pinnacle of the genre but it is not the standard. I just find it amusing how whenever someone says something negative about a game people like the accusation is they haven't played it.No one thinks LBP surpasses or meets Mario because it does not meet the requirements they consider necessary for a mario rivaling platformer. Oh noez!11!! Its not that people dislike or can't accept change (I'm pretty positive everyone loved 2D Sonic did they not?), its simply a mtter of not thinking LBP holds up. If you do cool, some of us do not however.

789shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 789shadow
Member since 2006 • 20195 Posts

Oh, it's you again.

xX-Incubus-Xx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 xX-Incubus-Xx
Member since 2009 • 1120 Posts

Well, I don't really feel like ripping LBP a new one today so I'll just refute your logic. In LBP you can create a variety of cool levels (no perfection recreations though) but due to not being able to change how the platforming is performed, thus being restricted to one platforming mechanic and not being able to recreate things like power ups (for legal reasons and etc), LBP will never be able to recreate even the most basic platformer perfectly. Also, Yoshi's Island is the best Platformer ever. I don't need proof, it is because that is how the world intended it to be. It was chosen by a higher power.

ActicEdge

Super Mario World is the best platformer of all time. Yoshis Island doesn't even compare...imo. but both are leaps and bounds better then most, if not all, other platformers.

NAPK1NS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#100 NAPK1NS
Member since 2004 • 14870 Posts
I love LBP to death (one of my favorite of the generation) I still don't think it's the best platformer of all time or anything like that. I think you're going a little overboard there.