Lemmings shafted, harddrive REQUIRED for upcoming games, core model obsolete

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Ninja-Vox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#151 Ninja-Vox
Member since 2006 • 16314 Posts

The thread fails for the following reasons; the core is clearly intended for people who aren't that big gamers. If you're awaiting BioShock, counting down the days to halo 3, saving up to pay an MMO subscription, lord knows you wouldn't have a core.

It's pretty obviously for the Madden players, the parents buying Viva Pinata for their kids. Please dont create some fiction that Unreal players are buying the core console.

jetthrovegas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#152 jetthrovegas
Member since 2007 • 1328 Posts
[QUOTE="Gangans"]

[QUOTE="Guiltfeeder566"]Dude, EVERYONE has a hard drive.Guiltfeeder566

Tell that to those who don't.

Like who? I don't know anyone who dosen't.

No serious gamer (serious enough to come on a gaming forum)has a 360 without a hardrive. And thoseidiot casuals, who think that the original Xbox and the 360 are the same thing, deserve to be tricked by MS anyway.

/thread

Zhengi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#153 Zhengi
Member since 2006 • 8479 Posts
[QUOTE="thirstychainsaw"][QUOTE="tango90101"][QUOTE="Zhengi"][QUOTE="johncraven"]

oh no, core players can't play MMO's!

all five of them.

tango90101

This joke has been done before. You failed. The actual number is closer to 2 million.

Could you provide a link proving that statement?

thanks

Were you referring to the number of core owners or the amount of MMOs?

core owners.

Read the original post. It's in the link the TC provided. They estimate that there are 20% who own the core. 20% of 10 million = 2 million.

Avatar image for GunSmith1_basic
GunSmith1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#154 GunSmith1_basic
Member since 2002 • 10548 Posts
[QUOTE="GunSmith1_basic"]

there was a thread here about how game store employees being confused about selling product, and about frustrated customers confused with trivial things like why they cant play ps3 games in their ps2, and why they can't play mario on ps2, etc.

Microsoft will create confusion if there are games that need a HDD, and others that don't. And in this case, I cannot blame anyone other than microsoft for the confusion. And if there are MMO games allowed, who's to say that devs won't ask if any old game can be HDD standard? Rockstar said that having no HDD is a pain in the butt.

Believe it or not, the core has sold a lot of units and continues to sell a lot today. It is the cheapest one, and microsoft has specifically targetted it for a price point that can compete with the wii, so I think it is here to stay. True, most people here who bought the core probably bought a hard drive afterwards, but I guarentee you that a substantial portion of the 360 userbase did not. The part that maybe isn't as expert as us on this forum. They will not be happy when they have to spend money for add ons until they realize they didn't get the bargain they thought they did.

Dreams-Visions

Most PS3 owners don't know what a Blu-Ray drive is.

Most 360 owners don't know they can play back movies.

Consumers are dumb. Never over-estimate the consumer.

that's the problem. Microsoft seems to be over estimating the consumer and their level of understanding about even the basics of video games. Personally, I dont see why they should. Video games are supposed to be entertainment, and so you shouldn't have to know anything other than how to control your guy, and how to hook it up of course.

blurray is a whole other thing. I think that sony wanted their playstation brand to help them establish the disc media that they invented. It's a future investment too I think. The consumer will know about blurray when blockbuster has them in stock all over the place, and again, sony is pushing it along by giving away blurray movies so they can compare.

Before ps3, I didn't know much about blurray. Apparently it can still play regular dvds. is that even right?

Avatar image for deactivated-5dd711115e664
deactivated-5dd711115e664

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#155 deactivated-5dd711115e664
Member since 2005 • 8956 Posts

i find it funny when cows bash the 360 for no standard HDD then when it becomes standard they still bash it for hurting core owners....

besides mmos for the 360 have always required a hard drive this is not a new development..

Tactis

Wow. That comment is shameful. Absolutely shameful.

1) MS and lemmings bashed the PS2 for 5 years, calling it stupid that consoles wouldn't come with HDD standard.

2) MS promised standard HDD for the 360, even further stating that during E3 before the 360 launched. While they were saying this that E3, they had already been telling developers that HDD would NOT be standard and they should make their games accordingly.

3) When the 360 launched, lemmings suddenly loved the non-standard HDD and said it was pure genius and Sony was stupid for not doing the same thing because it reduces cost and gives customers choice. Lemmings then made a number of McCarthyist posts like "Why do cows hate choice?"

Now I agree with your last comment that this should be common knowledge. But your first comment was so unbelievably ignorant I had to reply with my embarasment for you.

myke2010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#156 myke2010
Member since 2002 • 2747 Posts
Actually me and my friend both bought a core system.......the premiums were all sold out so we had to buy the HDD seperate. I'm guessing that's true for most of the core owners.
Avatar image for deactivated-5dd711115e664
deactivated-5dd711115e664

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157 deactivated-5dd711115e664
Member since 2005 • 8956 Posts
[QUOTE="Dreams-Visions"][QUOTE="GunSmith1_basic"]

there was a thread here about how game store employees being confused about selling product, and about frustrated customers confused with trivial things like why they cant play ps3 games in their ps2, and why they can't play mario on ps2, etc.

Microsoft will create confusion if there are games that need a HDD, and others that don't. And in this case, I cannot blame anyone other than microsoft for the confusion. And if there are MMO games allowed, who's to say that devs won't ask if any old game can be HDD standard? Rockstar said that having no HDD is a pain in the butt.

Believe it or not, the core has sold a lot of units and continues to sell a lot today. It is the cheapest one, and microsoft has specifically targetted it for a price point that can compete with the wii, so I think it is here to stay. True, most people here who bought the core probably bought a hard drive afterwards, but I guarentee you that a substantial portion of the 360 userbase did not. The part that maybe isn't as expert as us on this forum. They will not be happy when they have to spend money for add ons until they realize they didn't get the bargain they thought they did.

Verge_6

Most PS3 owners don't know what a Blu-Ray drive is.

Most 360 owners don't know they can play back movies.

Consumers are dumb. Never over-estimate the consumer.

So true. Why people continue to think that the consumer masses are intelligentis beyond me. Maybe it's because the fact that the majority of civilization is so ignorant it's scary.

While I agree with that statment, I think the reasoning is that we are all consumers and we all tend to rationalize the fact we all buy crap, at some point, that we really didn't need or even want. We just felt like buying SOMETHIng and we ended up with crap.

Not saying the 360 is crap or anything. Just that I agree...there is nothing intelligent or rational about consumerism. So it is equally irational and stupid to think that consumers as a group would be some sort of geniuses. Most of the crap that people buy is done for no reason other than somebody else is doing it, or because they are persuaded through advertising.

blacktorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#158 blacktorn
Member since 2004 • 8299 Posts

Erm this is good news for most of us 360 owners who went for the prem.

Serves people right for buying the core lol

ragrdoll21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159 ragrdoll21
Member since 2006 • 6048 Posts
[QUOTE="Gangans"]

I do.
jetthrovegas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160 jetthrovegas
Member since 2007 • 1328 Posts
[QUOTE="Guiltfeeder566"][QUOTE="Gangans"]

[QUOTE="Guiltfeeder566"]Dude, EVERYONE has a hard drive.ragrdoll21

I do.

Tell that person you know that they are an idiot. :D

rdo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161 rdo
Member since 2004 • 10314 Posts
this post is irrelivant. you can get the hdd at gamestop for $60. how many people do you know that refuse to pay for the hdd are willing to pay $10 a month to play a game they had to buy? none. they wouldn't be playing mmorpgs if they did have the hdd. i refuse to pay a monthly fee, and i have the hdd. the lack of an hdd didn't cost them anything. in fact many of them will look at it as the core saving them $10 a month and paying for it's self in 27 months.
Baird-06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162 Baird-06
Member since 2006 • 3511 Posts

Errr... doesn't the article just say MMOs?

I guess that could indicate that other kind of games could require HDDs in the future too, but it's unlikely that most of them will. As the article said, it will limit the potential sales since it will shaft Core owners with no HDD. Most developers would not want that since it would mean less sales.

I just don't understand why cows think that every 360 game in the future will require this...

munsoned

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163 munsoned
Member since 2006 • 3064 Posts
this is good news. cores will die out and 20 g hd prices will drop.pro will go down to 250, elite 325,and halo 3 360 will drop to 300. that should help 360 sales skyrocket. least it will help them get my money lol
bri360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164 bri360
Member since 2005 • 2755 Posts
[QUOTE="Gangans"]

Same, and if games will require it now or in the future I say they should go ahead and make a HDD a requirement. The people who got core, well they just gotta go out and buy the 20 gig one or something, what is it 50$ now?

KAS3Y_JAM3Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165 KAS3Y_JAM3Z
Member since 2006 • 1699 Posts

OHHH SNAP; lemmings got PLAAAYYYED. dayumWSIDEconnection

yeah...all 5 of them that don't have a HDD... :roll:

Videodogg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166 Videodogg
Member since 2002 • 12611 Posts

What about all the poor cows who bought the ps2 harddrive...all it was ever used for was the FF game. LOL, who rips off their customers more, MS or Sony? So what, a few core owners cant play a few games that require harddrive...unless they BUY a harddrive....they still have a choice.

exiledsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167 exiledsnake
Member since 2005 • 1906 Posts
I wonder if hd-dvd will ever become a standard. It can probably happen in the future just like the hdd if the format is ever needed that is.
limpbizkit818

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168 limpbizkit818
Member since 2004 • 15044 Posts
Stop posting this junk. There is already a 360 game that requires the HDD, so please stop acting like this is huge news.
Pro_wrestler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#169 Pro_wrestler
Member since 2002 • 7880 Posts
How are lemmings owned if majority of them own a HDD's? Its no different from any other game feature requirement. If you want to play offline co-op with in Gears of War then you purchase another controller if you don't already own one. If you want to play our game then you buy an HDD. If you want to play online co-op then you buy XBL.
eastside49er

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#170 eastside49er
Member since 2002 • 19559 Posts
I have a premium and plan on getting an Elite. How did I get shafted again?
MegaPigeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171 MegaPigeon
Member since 2007 • 1726 Posts

Let's see how many MMOs are coming out for the 360.....

And let's see what audience MMOs are aimed at.....

And let's see what the Core system's audience is......

Hmmmm.

resistancemang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172 resistancemang
Member since 2007 • 430 Posts
how are lemmings gonna spin this? its hilarious to watch them
sakura_Ex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173 sakura_Ex
Member since 2007 • 3066 Posts

And we don't have a system that was promised to run at 120 frames per second in 1080p resolution, in the 4th dimension.

I can make totally irrelevant comments too.

SpaceMatt

Eye of Judgement except for the 120 frames part.

HeHateMe_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174 HeHateMe_basic
Member since 2002 • 7161 Posts

i have never played an MMO since i started gaming in 1987. this news means nothing to me.

it's like no news at all, it's like no news at all, it's like no news at all, do you hear me? it's like no news at all.

Verge_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175 Verge_6
Member since 2007 • 20282 Posts
how are lemmings gonna spin this? its hilarious to watch themresistancemang
I think you'll find you're the one being laughed at, as you just proved that fanboys have no reading abilities. :|
PotatoSan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#176 PotatoSan
Member since 2005 • 3491 Posts

Who got the core anyways? Who's going to play an MMO on their 360?

Melfencik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#177 Melfencik
Member since 2005 • 247 Posts

source

New Xbox 360 Games Will Require Hard Drive Model

Microsoft changes policy, says MMO developers can require hard drive space for games.

Microsoft announced this week that it would soon allow developers of massive multiplayer online games to require hard drive space when playing games on xbox360 despite the console maker's previous denial of such claims.

"Feel free to require 30GB for your game - that's just going to make your potential audience a lot smaller," a Microsoft representative told a group of developers while speaking at GameFest.

Effective immediately, Microsoft will not restrict the amount of hard drive space MMO game developers can use. It is unclear if non-MMO games will be allowed to require hard drives when playing future games on 360.

An estimated 20 percent of 360 owners don't own a hard drive, which is optional for those only wanting to purchase the Core model.

Developers will be able to create a single "Master Storage File" on user machines so long as the server-based games explicitly state the amount of hard drive space required on the front of the game's box.

Microsoft also said the that it will not increase the allowable size of Xbox live Arcade games which currently stand at 150 mb.

Just last week, Microsoft denied reports in an email to Gamepro that Xbox 360 Core owners would be unable to play certain games labeled with the "hard drive required" sticker.

"Every game will work with every Xbox 360 system," a Microsoft spokesman told us. That no longer appears to be the case, at least with MMO games.

Gangans

is anyone REALLY gonna play mmos on a 360 though. until gta4, cod4, halo etc require a hard drive we have nothing to worry about

ragrdoll21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178 ragrdoll21
Member since 2006 • 6048 Posts

[QUOTE="WSIDEconnection"]OHHH SNAP; lemmings got PLAAAYYYED. dayumKAS3Y_JAM3Z

Do you realy think that only 5 people bought a core?:lol:

Lazy_Boy88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179 Lazy_Boy88
Member since 2003 • 7418 Posts
That's a damned good thing. Sure MS screwed over a lot of people with the Core (IT SHOULD'VE NEVER EXISTED) but probably over %80 of people have a HDD. It's a really good thing because some games can now actually use data caching if they don't mind cutting out the low end. I hope to god they require an HDD for GTA4 or else the Core is really going to gimp that game for everyone.
sakura_Ex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180 sakura_Ex
Member since 2007 • 3066 Posts

That's a damned good thing. Sure MS screwed over a lot of people with the Core (IT SHOULD'VE NEVER EXISTED) but probably over %80 of people have a HDD. It's a really good thing because some games can now actually use data caching if they don't mind cutting out the low end. I hope to god they require an HDD for GTA4 or else the Core is really going to gimp that game for everyone.Lazy_Boy88

DIdn't you read the article a while back stating that in some ways it already has?.

7thSIN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#181 7thSIN
Member since 2002 • 1386 Posts
The Halflings have been owned?
Avatar image for LinKuei_warrior
LinKuei_warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#182 LinKuei_warrior
Member since 2006 • 2670 Posts
Damage was uneffective...
DA_B0MB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#183 DA_B0MB
Member since 2005 • 9938 Posts
Good! We shouldn't be constrained by the people who wanted to be cheap.
daqua_99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#184 daqua_99
Member since 2005 • 11170 Posts
[QUOTE="Gangans"]

As the article said, an estimatd 20% of Xbox 360 owners don't have a hard drive ... oh well, maybe MS will throw one in if they get the three rings of death ...

rhaigun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#185 rhaigun
Member since 2005 • 3019 Posts
True lemmings have anHDD. Those who don't are casuals who could care less for MMO's. All they want is the superior version of Madden.
SpaceMatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#186 SpaceMatt
Member since 2003 • 3588 Posts
[QUOTE="SpaceMatt"]

And we don't have a system that was promised to run at 120 frames per second in 1080p resolution, in the 4th dimension.

sakura_Ex

Eye of Judgement can travel through time? Cool...

That statement I made that you quoted was in response to someone who tried to drag this even further off-topic (hence the second sentence)

SegArgyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187 SegArgyle
Member since 2004 • 2371 Posts
gee I might feel bad for the 4 or 5 people who bought a core, but then again, I dont
DementedDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#188 DementedDragon
Member since 2003 • 5095 Posts
I've always considered the core 360 to be worse than fruitcake; a mistake on Microsoft's part.
-Ninja_Dog-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#189 -Ninja_Dog-
Member since 2005 • 4197 Posts

Its getting real old having to come in and set you noobs straight.

Jeez people when the 360 was first annouced MS said that MMO would be the onlygames to require HDD.

You people need to keep up with gaming news.

This is like 2 yrs old people.

Ancient !

_Impmacaque_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#190 _Impmacaque_
Member since 2005 • 566 Posts

Are you retarded or just flat out stupid?

This is NO suprise here. THere was a PRECEDENT for MMOs requiring harddrives back when FFXI was released for the 360. So shove it. For the record, why the hell shouldn't MMOs require a harddrive? That's an absolutely ridiculous thing to rant about.

InsaneBasura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#191 InsaneBasura
Member since 2005 • 12591 Posts
Microsoft messed up bad with their stupid SKU's. The tard pack should've never existed, the Premium should've had a larger HDD and HDMI output. Future games requiring an HDD is good news as far as I'm concerned though.
rdo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#192 rdo
Member since 2004 • 10314 Posts
the artice was wrong. not even 20% buy the core, the only way not to have the hdd, and of the cores sold almost everyone buys the hdd later. if you want to feel sorry for all the hddless 360 owners fine go ahead, feel bad for both of them.
-Ninja_Dog-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#193 -Ninja_Dog-
Member since 2005 • 4197 Posts

Microsoft messed up bad with their stupid SKU's. The tard pack should've never existed, the Premium should've had a larger HDD and HDMI output. Future games requiring an HDD is good news as far as I'm concerned though.InsaneBasura

No dude.

The tard pack is for people who want the bare bones gaming console. They don't want movies ,online or any other benefits of a HDD.

So if you are educated about this and understand this before you buy than its not a big deal for anyone except cows you can't think two feet in front of them.

SillyManimal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#194 SillyManimal
Member since 2007 • 774 Posts
[QUOTE="KAS3Y_JAM3Z"]

[QUOTE="WSIDEconnection"]OHHH SNAP; lemmings got PLAAAYYYED. dayumragrdoll21

Do you realy think that only 5 people bought a core?:lol:

Did you read this part?

"An estimated 20 percent of 360 owners don't own a hard drive..."

_Impmacaque_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#195 _Impmacaque_
Member since 2005 • 566 Posts

For the record.. this "announcement", which is actually just reinforcing a statement made almost 2 years ago, only affects the following demographic:

Xbox 360 Core Owners who play MMO games.

This is such a pathetically tiny group of people that it nobody will even bother complaining. Since this ONLY affects that group of people, the core is FAR from obsolete (although many of us would like it to be.) This entire thread is a massive failure to attack lemmings based on some garbage you fetched that was already stated a month after the 360's release.

/thread failed

gunnz4hire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#196 gunnz4hire
Member since 2003 • 476 Posts

The math is real simple on this one...

Lemmings=hardcore Xbox (and Xbox 360) fan

Hardore Xbox 360 fan=would never buy Core edition, only Elite or Premium WITH a hard drive

Lemming=unaffected by this announcement

You=Phail

caseypayne69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#197 caseypayne69
Member since 2002 • 5395 Posts

[QUOTE="caseypayne69"]So much for Lems bragging about having options in their system and not having a lowest denominator like no Hard drive. Thank you Sony for giving me a console with everything up front. And I mean that.REVENGEotSITH

I don't think at $599 that Sony "gave" you a whole lot. Seems to me that you paid for those features...

yea that seams to be the whole point of shopping. And I got what I paid for.

Timstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#198 Timstuff
Member since 2002 • 26840 Posts

I'd bet a cheese burger video that GTA4 and Unreal Tournament 3 were deleayed at least in part because of MS's broken policy about hard drives.
caseypayne69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#199 caseypayne69
Member since 2002 • 5395 Posts
[QUOTE="SpaceMatt"]

sakura_Ex

You should make a thread called " Sony promised 4d gaming and its here." lol and talk about Eye of Judgement, because tech. it is another realm in a realm right?

demoralizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#200 demoralizer
Member since 2002 • 2023 Posts

Oh pls this is good news for Lems. The Core will no longer hold Devs back.