Lemmings shafted, harddrive REQUIRED for upcoming games, core model obsolete

This topic is locked from further discussion.

dubvisions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 dubvisions
Member since 2006 • 1815 Posts

Here's the 20 gig hard drive...

http://www.ebgames.com/product.asp?product%5Fid=802117

SpaceMatt

I stand corrected. It would be very wise for a Core owner with no HDD to go out and get a 20GB HDD. Thinking ahead are we?

oceansandearth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#52 oceansandearth
Member since 2006 • 246 Posts
[QUOTE="Stabby2486"][QUOTE="dubvisions"][QUOTE="oceansandearth"]

Oh, don't say that! After all, MS has GIVEN them the OPTION of getting a hard-drive. Though, if you DON'T get it, you are screwed for all the future games.

Don't worry, at this rate MS is soon going to give them an OPTION of playing their games on a next-generation format.

:lol:

dubvisions

What kind of options does MS give 360 core owners on where to get a HDD? $180 at xbox.com, baby!!! Nice options.

That's the 120 GB HDD.

Go to 360's website here: http://www.xbox.com/en-US/hardware/catalog.aspx?st=&g=209000000&s=2&p=1&c=10

Tell me where you see anyhting but the 120GB.

My bad, readyour post in the wrong context :)

TLHBO!

bobby_king

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 bobby_king
Member since 2003 • 2122 Posts
What's the bad news? :|
LTomlinson21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#54 LTomlinson21
Member since 2004 • 24423 Posts
[QUOTE="The_Game21x"]

That is the one game that requires the Hard drive.

dubvisions

We're all very confident it will be the ONLY one too, right? Didn't we see a CoD4 cover with a HDD warning on it just a little while back?

Oh.... here it is: http://www.destructoid.com/blogs/cbebop007/call-of-duty-4-memory-hard-drive-required-36009.phtml

Even the devs claimed it was just a concept and a HDD won't be required.

"MyGamerCard.net reports that Infinity Ward Community Relations Manager, Robert Bowling, has confirmed that storage will not be required to play Call of Duty 4. According to Bowling, the icon was added to the concept art in order to represent how the box would appear once logos and icons were applied. It looks like all the people without memory cards or hard drives (both of them) can breathe a sigh of relief."

dubvisions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 dubvisions
[QUOTE="dubvisions"][QUOTE="The_Game21x"]

Stabby2486

We're all very confident it will be the ONLY one too, right? Didn't we see a CoD4 cover with a HDD warning on it just a little while back?

Oh.... here it is: http://www.destructoid.com/blogs/cbebop007/call-of-duty-4-memory-hard-drive-required-36009.phtml

It also says you can use a memory card.

Yeah, a 512MB card will hold, what, one demo?

Videodogg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#56 Videodogg
Member since 2002 • 12611 Posts

People without hard drives probably dont do a whole lot online anyway. So i dont think this going to bother them at all.

xDonRobx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 xDonRobx
Member since 2007 • 1586 Posts
[QUOTE="The_Game21x"]

dubvisions

:lol: Allit says is storage required.

In what game isn't storage required? Unless where going back to the SNES days when you didnt need a memory card or hard drive.

xDonRobx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 xDonRobx
[QUOTE="Stabby2486"][QUOTE="dubvisions"][QUOTE="The_Game21x"]

dubvisions

It also says you can use a memory card.

Yeah, a 512MB card will hold, what, one demo?

512MB actually holds alot. I didn't think it did, but for any 360 owner, go check out your memory. You'll be surprised how much it holds.

dubvisions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 dubvisions
You lems keep denying that this problem exists. We'll see how this conversation goes by next Spring.
dubvisions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 dubvisions

512MB actually holds alot. I didn't think it did, but for any 360 owner, go check out your memory. You'll be surprised how much it holds.

xDonRobx

Yeah, I just went and checked my PS3, and I just downloaded a demo of Dirt. it was over 500MB.

xDonRobx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 xDonRobx

You lems keep denying that this problem exists. We'll see how this conversation goes by next Spring.dubvisions

It does exist. Thats why my after Mass Effect I will probably never use my 360 again, and get a PS3.

And Wii Fit :D

xDonRobx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 xDonRobx
[QUOTE="xDonRobx"]

dubvisions

Yeah, I just went and checked my PS3, and I just downloaded a demo of Dirt. it was over 500MB.

Well..

You might want to read then.

oceansandearth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 oceansandearth
[QUOTE="xDonRobx"]

dubvisions

Mwahaha..

One demo, thats all lems. Thats all you get for all your OPTIONs.

oceansandearth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 oceansandearth
[QUOTE="dubvisions"][QUOTE="xDonRobx"]

xDonRobx

Well..

You might want to read then.

No man. He is only comparing how much space anything occupies and going by a 500 MB demo, a memory card ain't gonna help, is it?

:lol:

xDonRobx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 xDonRobx

oceansandearth

Mwahaha..

One demo, thats all lems. Thats all you get for all your OPTIONs.

Demos on 360 are well over 500MB.

Infact, most the demos I download are 1GB or above.

I was talking about games. If people don't have a HDD, obviously they're a casual and don't plan on downloading 1GB demos.

I wasn't saying that 512MB is enough, but people act like it isn't even enough for 1 game.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f89ab8e63049
deactivated-5f89ab8e63049

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 deactivated-5f89ab8e63049
Member since 2007 • 3182 Posts
[QUOTE="xDonRobx"]

dubvisions

What, in the name of all that is good and holy, does that have to do with the fact that HDD's will be needed for MMO's (and assumably other games)?

naval

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#67 naval
Member since 2003 • 11108 Posts
one think which i find quite funny in this thread, is that whenever comparing the prices of consoles lemiings always give the price of a 360 core, but here they keep on saying core is useless, nobody buys core or they eventually will buy an hdd.
onewiththegame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 onewiththegame
Member since 2004 • 4415 Posts
Everyone has one so it's not really a big deal
SpaceMatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 SpaceMatt
Member since 2003 • 3588 Posts

SpigleyMcCheese

What, in the name of all that is good and holy, does that have to do with the fact that HDD's will be needed for MMO's (and assumably other games)?

What, isn't it obvious that casual gamers will go out and buy Core 360s, and immediately buy Final Fantasy XI followed by downloading 8 gigs' worth of demos?

No_Talent_Dev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 No_Talent_Dev
Member since 2007 • 505 Posts

OHHH SNAP; lemmings got PLAAAYYYED. dayumWSIDEconnection

Not the lemmings with a harddrive - duh!

Avatar image for mistervengeance
mistervengeance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 mistervengeance
Member since 2006 • 6769 Posts
or, they could just buy a hard drive.
AdolescentDon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#72 AdolescentDon
Member since 2005 • 9081 Posts

Very good for lemmings with a HDD (like 90% of lemmings) very bad for lemmings without HDD (Heh, who cares).

I'm happy about this news :)

The_Game21x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#73 The_Game21x
Member since 2005 • 26440 Posts
[QUOTE="The_Game21x"]

dubvisions

Do you even read your own links?

"That box at the bottom? "Storage Required"? Shows a memory unit and a hard drive? What's that about?"

Also

"It seems obvious the 360 won't require a hard drive, per se, but "storage required?" Correct me if I'm wrong, but this seems to be a first."

Self owned. :|

redstormrisen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 redstormrisen
Member since 2007 • 2015 Posts

source

New Xbox 360 Games Will Require Hard Drive Model

Microsoft changes policy, says MMO developers can require hard drive space for games.

Microsoft announced this week that it would soon allow developers of massive multiplayer online games to require hard drive space when playing games on xbox360 despite the console maker's previous denial of such claims.

"Feel free to require 30GB for your game - that's just going to make your potential audience a lot smaller," a Microsoft representative told a group of developers while speaking at GameFest.

Effective immediately, Microsoft will not restrict the amount of hard drive space MMO game developers can use. It is unclear if non-MMO games will be allowed to require hard drives when playing future games on 360.

An estimated 20 percent of 360 owners don't own a hard drive, which is optional for those only wanting to purchase the Core model.

Developers will be able to create a single "Master Storage File" on user machines so long as the server-based games explicitly state the amount of hard drive space required on the front of the game's box.

Microsoft also said the that it will not increase the allowable size of Xbox live Arcade games which currently stand at 150 mb.

Just last week, Microsoft denied reports in an email to Gamepro that Xbox 360 Core owners would be unable to play certain games labeled with the "hard drive required" sticker.

"Every game will work with every Xbox 360 system," a Microsoft spokesman told us. That no longer appears to be the case, at least with MMO games.

Gangans

1. Final Fantasy 11 already dumps about 5-6 gigs on the HDD.

2. What fanboy is ging to have a core system with no HDD.

3. What casual gamer whodoesn't have a hard drive is going to care a massive multiplayer online game...

let my clarify that. You need an HDD to go online.

Dahaka-UK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 Dahaka-UK
Member since 2005 • 6915 Posts
Who is stupid enough to think you can play an MMORPG without the required HD space for all the updates and stuff. Core users would not be able to play MMOs anyway, even if the 120GB HD didn't exist. So the core model has always been obsolete. Is that really a bad thing... No it isnt... whoever bought the core version knew that there wasn't no harddrive therefore should know they cannot hope to play a MMO unless they buy the 120GB hd. :|
DSgamer64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#76 DSgamer64
Member since 2007 • 4449 Posts

LOL

First, PS3 owners say "LOL, YOU GUYS ARE OWNED BECAUSE UR LIMITED BY CORE USERS AND U CANT USE UR HARDDRIVE FOR GAMES", and now that we don't have that problem anymore, you go "OWNED BECAUSE CORE USERS ARE OBSELETE THEY CANT DO ANYTHING"

Aren't you guys full of crap? Nobody cares about core models. If they cared enough about getting these upcoming games - they can buy a hard drive.

GodLovesDead

Yeah but the fact that the premium model costs so much more for only a 20 GB hard drive is rediculous. Just to buy the damn drive is still 100 dollars here in Canada while the 120 GB one islike200, compared to PC drives that is ahuge rip off. One would be better off just buying a USB external drive, I have a 200 GB external that is partitioned so I can use one of the empty partitions to store 360 data if I wanted to. Alas I do not even own one yet so even if I only got the Core pack,I would still not need to havea drive since I got one already.

Dreams-Visions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 Dreams-Visions
Member since 2006 • 26578 Posts

Lemmings are not shafted. A lemming is a fanboy. I don't think anyone hardcore enough to be considered a "lemming" is without a HDD.

If you want to talk about casuals, that's a different conversation...but lemmings are not shafted.

darthogre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 darthogre
Member since 2006 • 5082 Posts

Am I the only one that doesn't think this is a big deal? I only see MMO games mentioned......most console gamers don't play MMO games on their console, that's what a PC is for isn't it?

Now if we are talking about games like COD4, ok yeah X360 owners can start to **** their pants but having MMO games require a harddrive makes sense.

darthogre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 darthogre
Member since 2006 • 5082 Posts

Lemmings are not shafted. A lemming is a fanboy. I don't think anyone hardcore enough to be considered a "lemming" is without a HDD.

If you want to talk about casuals, that's a different conversation...but lemmings are not shafted.

Dreams-Visions

Maybe the lemmings that use the"Core price" arguement are shafted then? I see a lot of Lems in this forum use the Core's price as a way to compete with the Wii as well as bash the PS3 price even more.

SrgtSaggy101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 SrgtSaggy101
Member since 2004 • 1956 Posts

So, everyone has a hdd

onewiththegame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 onewiththegame
Member since 2004 • 4415 Posts

Dreams-Visions

True Story

Hermitkermit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#82 Hermitkermit
Member since 2005 • 1880 Posts
I think that almost everyone if not all has a HHD already...I mean you need it to save movies, demos, etc....even play Xbox Games on your 360!!!!! But hey, maybe this is good news, a MMO game coming to 360??
ragincoley86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 ragincoley86
Member since 2006 • 1357 Posts
I'm going to have to disagree with this one. Most core owners dont care about online games because they cant even download new maps and get the extra stuff. When you buy a core you know what the deal is and your screwing yourself for the start.
rykaziel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 rykaziel
Member since 2003 • 1149 Posts

Damn. Guess they won't be playing any of those numerous MMO games coming out for the 360. Honestly, without those MMO's, what games does the 360 have?

/sarcasm

dubvisions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 dubvisions

SpigleyMcCheese

For using a picture of Yoda, you sure aren't very attentive. I brought up CoD4 and the label about storage spce, lems brought up that the "storage space" could beememory card. My point is that a 512MB mem card doesn't hold much. How much unpacked data and game saves will a 512MB card hold when even demos exceed that amount?

Get it?

gamenux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 gamenux
Member since 2006 • 5308 Posts

What happen to all that talk about MS giving gamers the OPTION? Looks like the Option just went out the door. MS is going to keep milking.

SpaceMatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 SpaceMatt
Member since 2003 • 3588 Posts
[QUOTE="SpigleyMcCheese"][QUOTE="dubvisions"][QUOTE="xDonRobx"]

dubvisions

For using a picture of Yoda, you sure aren't very attentive. I brought up CoD4 and the label about storage spce, lems brought up that the "storage space" could beememory card. My point is that a 512MB mem card doesn't hold much. How much unpacked data and game saves will a 512MB card hold when even demos exceed that amount?

Get it?

None of my 360 games have save data totaling more than15 megs (and even that's probably a big overestimate), so I'd wagera memory cardcan hold a lot of saves

VladTheImpaler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 VladTheImpaler
Member since 2005 • 1028 Posts
Fiinally, I was so annoyed that they made a core in the first place.We all new this was coming. Just a couple months ago they raised the size of arcade games so they no longer fit on the smaller memory card. Anywayswhy should the people that have hard drives have to suffer becuase people are cheap. If you want a cheap system buy a Wii.
VladTheImpaler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 VladTheImpaler
[QUOTE="Guiltfeeder566"][QUOTE="Gangans"]

[QUOTE="Guiltfeeder566"]Dude, EVERYONE has a hard drive.zsc4

Tell that to those who don't.

Like who? I don't know anyone who dosen't.

I don't. :|

Yeah right.

The_Game21x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#90 The_Game21x
Member since 2005 • 26440 Posts
[QUOTE="SpigleyMcCheese"][QUOTE="dubvisions"][QUOTE="xDonRobx"]

dubvisions

Get it?

For casual gamers (for whom the Core 360was invented), all they need is a 512 MB memory card. Casual gamers just want to be able to play and save their games. They don't care about going online and getting a ton of downloads so storage space isn't going to be an issue for them.

VladTheImpaler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 VladTheImpaler
[QUOTE="Dreams-Visions"]

onewiththegame

True Story

Amen!

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#92 musicalmac  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25098 Posts
This thread is a cute amalgamation of weak attempts at ownage. I suppose people have to complain about something. I feel like i'm in an old-folks home.
mikasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 mikasa
Member since 2003 • 4060 Posts
I don't get it. Cows are upset MS didn't require a HDD. But then when MS says games can be HDD required they are upset.
Gaara79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 Gaara79
Member since 2005 • 4476 Posts

It already was for two games. :|

Persoanlly I hope games start using the HDD like they didwith the original xbox.

Avatar image for deactivated-5dd711115e664
deactivated-5dd711115e664

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 deactivated-5dd711115e664
Member since 2005 • 8956 Posts
The core 360 was obsolete practically after launch. I haven't even seen a store in my city, other than MAYBE EB, that sells it.
Avatar image for deactivated-5dd711115e664
deactivated-5dd711115e664

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 deactivated-5dd711115e664
Member since 2005 • 8956 Posts

I don't get it. Cows are upset MS didn't require a HDD. But then when MS says games can be HDD required they are upset.mikasa

According to your post history, there seems to be a lot you fail to get. Perhaps the problem is with your critical thinking skills?

Verge_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 Verge_6
Member since 2007 • 20282 Posts
Wow, one would think the Core model was the SKU with the most sales and that one can't simply buy an HDD for said model. Seriously, this was weak.
Gangans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#98 Gangans
Member since 2007 • 1273 Posts

This thread is a cute amalgamation of weak attempts at ownage. I suppose people have to complain about something. I feel like i'm in an old-folks home.musicalmac

Sure beats 'wii graphics suck balls' threads and 'wii is only in it for teh sales' threads and 'ps3 has no games' threads and 'pc gaming is dead' threads.

Avatar image for Bill_McBlumpkin
Bill_McBlumpkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 Bill_McBlumpkin
Member since 2007 • 1001 Posts

Awesome, awesome awesome. This is great news.

Finally, the devs won't be held back by those idiotic Core owners.

sirk1264

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#100 sirk1264
Member since 2003 • 6242 Posts
Wow they just meant MMO's for now which in reality would only make up for maybe less than 10% of 360 owners.