Lemmings shafted, harddrive REQUIRED for upcoming games, core model obsolete

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Gangans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#101 Gangans
Member since 2007 • 1273 Posts

Awesome, awesome awesome. This is great news.

Finally, the devs won't be held back by those idiotic Core owners.

Bill_McBlumpkin

I'd say microsoft is idiotic for selling something that sets up unsuspecting buyers for milkage later on.

Verge_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#102 Verge_6
Member since 2007 • 20282 Posts
[QUOTE="Bill_McBlumpkin"]

Gangans

I'd say microsoft is idiotic for selling something that sets up unsuspecting buyers for milkage later on.

Yes, the fact they have to go and buy a WHOLE new SKU so they can play a few MMOs is just horrif-...oh, wait, they don't.

Avatar image for Bill_McBlumpkin
Bill_McBlumpkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103 Bill_McBlumpkin
Member since 2007 • 1001 Posts

Gangans

Personally, as a Permium owner, I couldn't care less.

Let's face it - buying a Core made you an idiot in the first place. The memory card alone was like 40 bucks, and if you bought a core you'd miss out on all the other stuff that came with the Premium (wireless controller, headset, Component cables, etc.)

This is great news for Premium owners, now the developers won't be held back by lack of HDD.

As someone who isn't a fanboy, owns all 3 systems,and doesn't "care" about any companyI'm glad it finally happened, if you ask me it took too long. This is good news for the quality of future 360 titles no matter how you cut it.

Avatar image for Bill_McBlumpkin
Bill_McBlumpkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104 Bill_McBlumpkin
Member since 2007 • 1001 Posts

Damn, I just read the actual topic. It's only for MMO's?!?!

That sucks, I was hoping it would be for all games, not just for useless MMO's (which I never play.)

Damn, hopefully in the future they give the option to ALL developers to make games that require a HDD.

Zhengi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105 Zhengi
Member since 2006 • 8479 Posts
Just pointing this out to those who didn't notice. In the article, it says an estimate 20% have 360s without the hard drive. 20% of 10 million = 2 million. That's a lot of users who have the core model.
hamster3_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106 hamster3_3
Member since 2007 • 130 Posts
there r already games that require a hard drive like football manager 07
REforever101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#107 REforever101
Member since 2005 • 11223 Posts
im sure the 5 core owners out there will be upset...
Zhengi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 Zhengi

im sure the 5 core owners out there will be upset...REforever101

Not 5. More like 2 million.

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#109 musicalmac  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25098 Posts
im sure the 5 core owners out there will be upset...REforever101
Just pointing this out to those who didn't notice. In the article, it says an estimate 20% have 360s without the hard drive. 20% of 10 million = 2 million. That's a lot of users who have the core model.Zhengi
Just pointing that out.
Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60722 Posts
Good thing I have the HD then. :|
Avatar image for deactivated-586249e1b64ba
deactivated-586249e1b64ba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 deactivated-586249e1b64ba
Member since 2004 • 7629 Posts

Storage has pretty much been required from the start for saving games.

The core 360 exists for people who couldn't care less about online and already have some form of storage available to them.

Riki101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 Riki101
Member since 2004 • 2339 Posts
YES BETTER GTA ON 360 CONFIRMED,
mikasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 mikasa
Member since 2003 • 4060 Posts

[QUOTE="mikasa"]I don't get it. Cows are upset MS didn't require a HDD. But then when MS says games can be HDD required they are upset.ZIMdoom

According to your post history, there seems to be a lot you fail to get. Perhaps the problem is with your critical thinking skills?

mikasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 mikasa
Member since 2003 • 4060 Posts

The core 360 was obsolete practically after launch. I haven't even seen a store in my city, other than MAYBE EB, that sells it.ZIMdoom

Exactly, so how does this "own" lemmings? Besides how do you play an ONLINE game without a HDD when a HDD is already required to go online?

Riki101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 Riki101
Member since 2004 • 2339 Posts
damit only MMO games, lets make it for ALL games please k thanks ms, i dont think the core users even have alot of money, so how much games can they actually have? i bet like 3 a year, who cares about the kids and give gamers what they want, (better games)

bring on the hard drive only games plz
CwlHeddwyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 CwlHeddwyn
Member since 2005 • 5314 Posts

Fiinally, I was so annoyed that they made a core in the first place.We all new this was coming. Just a couple months ago they raised the size of arcade games so they no longer fit on the smaller memory card. Anywayswhy should the people that have hard drives have to suffer becuase people are cheap. If you want a cheap system buy a Wii.VladTheImpaler

exactly- the core was just so MS could boast we have a £199 price point!- but the core is gimped- the Premium is much better value for money since u get a HDD & a bunch of extras that would cost u more to buy seperately if u added their price to the price of a Core console.

I know ppl who bought Cores at launch bcoz they couldnt get a Premium so they opted to get a HDD aswel- i had the option at launch to get a Core but i waited a couple of months til i could find a Premium- i wasnt gonna pay over-the-odds & i could wait.

a friend of mine bought a Core to save himself money & he ended getting the HDD anyway so he could make use of Xbox Live. any true gamer with a Core will have a HDD as well. no idea why MS brought out 512MB cards- yes its a lot bigger than 64MB but really they should have gone for 1GB & 2GB cards. MS had the 50Mb limit for XBL arcade games because their memory cards were 64MB so they were definitley catering for the Core market too- but i dont think they know how small the Core market is & how unlikely they are gonna go for Xbox Live.

Avatar image for housemdnaegleri
housemdnaegleri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 housemdnaegleri
Member since 2007 • 44 Posts

Gangans

I'd also blame the consumers for being gullible enough to fall for it.

gamenux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 gamenux
Member since 2006 • 5308 Posts
Yup. What next MS? Are some games going to require HD-DVD drive?
CwlHeddwyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 CwlHeddwyn
Member since 2005 • 5314 Posts

Well its the consumers fault I mean they saw a core for £200 & a Premium for £280- they think ill get a Core & save £80! but then they had to buy a memory card to save their games which was like £30 or whatever at the time. while the premium came with a headset aswell & a HDD. if u dont wana go onlinethen core is ideal i guess- but if u do ur gonna have to pay more.

Zhengi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 Zhengi

Well its the consumers fault I mean they saw a core for £200 & a Premium for £280- they think ill get a Core & save £80! but then they had to buy a memory card to save their games which was like £30 or whatever at the time. while the premium came with a headset aswell & a HDD. if u dont wana go onlinethen core is ideal i guess- but if u do ur gonna have to pay more.

CwlHeddwyn

Or maybe MS could have just made one SKU instead of getting themselves in this mess of having 3 SKUs and counting.

johncraven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 johncraven
Member since 2006 • 1232 Posts

oh no, core players can't play MMO's!

all five of them.

Avatar image for AtomicLightbulb
AtomicLightbulb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 AtomicLightbulb
Member since 2004 • 3721 Posts

If people bought an Xbox 360 with the intention to play MMO's - and didn't buy the version with the hard drive - then they are absolute morons.

They're MMO's for Chrissakes, of course they'll need a hard drive.

REVENGEotSITH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 REVENGEotSITH
Member since 2003 • 3938 Posts
[QUOTE="chadwardennn"]shafted? U mean 1% of the 360 owners is getting owned.
and its a very good thing for the other 99%... (true gamers)

i think u just selfowned urself TC.

oceansandearth

On the contrary you just owned the entire lemming family by admitting that some portion of the 360 owners are getting screwed. This, after the whole episode of MS going on press about how they give their gamers an option? At least Sony gives gamers all they need to play the games.

TLHBO.

Yep - Sony just "gives" gamers all they need to play games - for FREE! The Hard Drive in the PS3 was FREE! Ummm- you paid for that, you know.

tango90101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 tango90101
Member since 2006 • 5977 Posts

How many cores were sold?

How many premiums?

How many avenues of incentives does MS have to get HDD to the core owners?

once you've can answer those questions, you'll understand how this point is moot...

and sony fans have no right to talk about hdd when sony hosed their early adopters with a small one compared to the new ones..

REVENGEotSITH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 REVENGEotSITH

If people bought an Xbox 360 with the intention to play MMO's - and didn't buy the version with the hard drive - then they are absolute morons.

They're MMO's for Chrissakes, of course they'll need a hard drive.

AtomicLightbulb

These Cows fail to realize that you CAN'T go online without the Hard Drive. If you can't go online without a HDD, how are you going to play MMOs in the first place? These are played online.

Just cows looking grasping at straws, once again, while us Lemms get geared up to play the NEXT GOTY - Bioshock. They get to look forward to Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (oops - I meant to say Lair).

Blinblingthing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 Blinblingthing
Member since 2005 • 6943 Posts
[QUOTE="Gangans"]

[QUOTE="Guiltfeeder566"]Dude, EVERYONE has a hard drive.Guiltfeeder566

Tell that to those who don't.

Like who? I don't know anyone who dosen't.

So NO ONE bought a Core 360 then?

Tactis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#127 Tactis
Member since 2006 • 1568 Posts

i find it funny when cows bash the 360 for no standard HDD then when it becomes standard they still bash it for hurting core owners....

besides mmos for the 360 have always required a hard drive this is not a new development..

Zhengi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 Zhengi

all five of them.

johncraven

This joke has been done before. You failed. The actual number is closer to 2 million.

RaveRabbid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 RaveRabbid
Member since 2006 • 1587 Posts

source

New Xbox 360 Games Will Require Hard Drive Model

Microsoft changes policy, says MMO developers can require hard drive space for games.

Microsoft announced this week that it would soon allow developers of massive multiplayer online games to require hard drive space when playing games on xbox360 despite the console maker's previous denial of such claims.

"Feel free to require 30GB for your game - that's just going to make your potential audience a lot smaller," a Microsoft representative told a group of developers while speaking at GameFest.

Effective immediately, Microsoft will not restrict the amount of hard drive space MMO game developers can use. It is unclear if non-MMO games will be allowed to require hard drives when playing future games on 360.

An estimated 20 percent of 360 owners don't own a hard drive, which is optional for those only wanting to purchase the Core model.

Developers will be able to create a single "Master Storage File" on user machines so long as the server-based games explicitly state the amount of hard drive space required on the front of the game's box.

Microsoft also said the that it will not increase the allowable size of Xbox live Arcade games which currently stand at 150 mb.

Just last week, Microsoft denied reports in an email to Gamepro that Xbox 360 Core owners would be unable to play certain games labeled with the "hard drive required" sticker.

"Every game will work with every Xbox 360 system," a Microsoft spokesman told us. That no longer appears to be the case, at least with MMO games.

Gangans

Wait, so core owners still have a choice in the matter?? If they don't want to play MMO games, they won't be forced to upgrade to a hard drive. Lets face it, most core owners are not even using Xbox Live so I highly doubt they will "all of a sudden" start playing MMO games online on Xbox Live. There you have it folks, the choice to "not be forced into buying something you won't need or paying for something you don't want".

G10mgs4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 G10mgs4
Member since 2007 • 1490 Posts

LERMMINGS YOU BETTER NOT TRY TO SPIN THIS

Blinblingthing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 Blinblingthing
Member since 2005 • 6943 Posts
[QUOTE="oceansandearth"][QUOTE="chadwardennn"]shafted? U mean 1% of the 360 owners is getting owned.
and its a very good thing for the other 99%... (true gamers)

i think u just selfowned urself TC.

REVENGEotSITH

On the contrary you just owned the entire lemming family by admitting that some portion of the 360 owners are getting screwed. This, after the whole episode of MS going on press about how they give their gamers an option? At least Sony gives gamers all they need to play the games.

TLHBO.

Yep - Sony just "gives" gamers all they need to play games - for FREE! The Hard Drive in the PS3 was FREE! Ummm- you paid for that, you know.

Yeah, But when you sell a product without immediate functionality right out of the box its sort sad.

Its like Selling you a car with no tires on it. Imagine Dell selling PCs without a HDD in them.

Imagine Mercedes Benz Saying that you can buy an S600 for 35K or a Camry for 35K.

Sure you'd take the S600 but them imagine then MB telling that the Engine and Transmission are sold seperate.

raidenseven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#132 raidenseven
Member since 2005 • 3223 Posts

OHHH SNAP; lemmings got PLAAAYYYED. dayumWSIDEconnection

if you own a 360 without a HDD... wow that person must be a retard...

gameofthering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#134 gameofthering
Member since 2004 • 11286 Posts
[QUOTE="Gangans"]

[QUOTE="Guiltfeeder566"]Dude, EVERYONE has a hard drive.Guiltfeeder566

Tell that to those who don't.

Like who? I don't know anyone who dosen't.

Um... me lol i had 2 cores but they both broke... now am stuck with just a Wii :(
REVENGEotSITH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135 REVENGEotSITH
[QUOTE="REVENGEotSITH"][QUOTE="oceansandearth"]On the contrary you just owned the entire lemming family by admitting that some portion of the 360 owners are getting screwed. This, after the whole episode of MS going on press about how they give their gamers an option? At least Sony gives gamers all they need to play the games.

TLHBO.

Blinblingthing

Yeah, But when you sell a product without immediate functionality right out of the box its sort sad.

Its like Selling you a car with no tires on it. Imagine Dell selling PCs without a HDD in them.

Imagine Mercedes Benz Saying that you can buy an S600 for 35K or a Camry for 35K.

Sure you'd take the S600 but them imagine then MB telling that the Engine and Transmission are sold seperate.

Terrible analogies. Just terrible. The Core can play games right out of the box. A car with no tires, engine or transmission can not be driven. A PC without a HDD can not operate. Terrible analogies.

Its more like buying a car with just a radio in it. But, if you want to play CD's you have to buy a CD player. OH NOES! CAR COMPANIES DON'T DO THIS! Oh wait, they do...

sonicmj1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#136 sonicmj1
Member since 2003 • 9130 Posts

So MMOs, which have historically required a hard drive (see: Final Fantasy XI), will require a hard drive? What a surprise.

If you're going to be alarmist, wait until some non-MMO games come out on shelves that require the hard drive.

caseypayne69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#137 caseypayne69
Member since 2002 • 5395 Posts
So much for Lems bragging about having options in their system and not having a lowest denominator like no Hard drive. Thank you Sony for giving me a console with everything up front. And I mean that.
dracolich666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138 dracolich666
Member since 2005 • 4426 Posts

It's not like MMOs on the 360 haven't required the hard drive since day one (Final Fantasy XI anyone?)

In other words this isn't news, and it certainly isn't a "shafting"

SpaceMatt

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

/THREAD

cametall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139 cametall
Member since 2003 • 7692 Posts
Anyone who is going to play an MMO on a console will have the HDD to begin with.
Verge_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140 Verge_6

So much for Lems bragging about having options in their system and not having a lowest denominator like no Hard drive. Thank you Sony for giving me a console with everything up front. And I mean that.caseypayne69

Do even bother to read, or do you simply like living in la-la land?

REVENGEotSITH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141 REVENGEotSITH

So much for Lems bragging about having options in their system and not having a lowest denominator like no Hard drive. Thank you Sony for giving me a console with everything up front. And I mean that.caseypayne69

I don't think at $599 that Sony "gave" you a whole lot. Seems to me that you paid for those features...

Avatar image for GunSmith1_basic
GunSmith1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#142 GunSmith1_basic
Member since 2002 • 10548 Posts

there was a thread here about how game store employees being confused about selling product, and about frustrated customers confused with trivial things like why they cant play ps3 games in their ps2, and why they can't play mario on ps2, etc.

Microsoft will create confusion if there are games that need a HDD, and others that don't. And in this case, I cannot blame anyone other than microsoft for the confusion. And if there are MMO games allowed, who's to say that devs won't ask if any old game can be HDD standard? Rockstar said that having no HDD is a pain in the butt.

Believe it or not, the core has sold a lot of units and continues to sell a lot today. It is the cheapest one, and microsoft has specifically targetted it for a price point that can compete with the wii, so I think it is here to stay. True, most people here who bought the core probably bought a hard drive afterwards, but I guarentee you that a substantial portion of the 360 userbase did not. The part that maybe isn't as expert as us on this forum. They will not be happy when they have to spend money for add ons until they realize they didn't get the bargain they thought they did.

tango90101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143 tango90101
[QUOTE="johncraven"]

all five of them.

Zhengi

This joke has been done before. You failed. The actual number is closer to 2 million.

Could you provide a link proving that statement?

thanks

Dreams-Visions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144 Dreams-Visions
Member since 2006 • 26578 Posts

there was a thread here about how game store employees being confused about selling product, and about frustrated customers confused with trivial things like why they cant play ps3 games in their ps2, and why they can't play mario on ps2, etc.

Microsoft will create confusion if there are games that need a HDD, and others that don't. And in this case, I cannot blame anyone other than microsoft for the confusion. And if there are MMO games allowed, who's to say that devs won't ask if any old game can be HDD standard? Rockstar said that having no HDD is a pain in the butt.

Believe it or not, the core has sold a lot of units and continues to sell a lot today. It is the cheapest one, and microsoft has specifically targetted it for a price point that can compete with the wii, so I think it is here to stay. True, most people here who bought the core probably bought a hard drive afterwards, but I guarentee you that a substantial portion of the 360 userbase did not. The part that maybe isn't as expert as us on this forum. They will not be happy when they have to spend money for add ons until they realize they didn't get the bargain they thought they did.

GunSmith1_basic

Most PS3 owners don't know what a Blu-Ray drive is.

Most 360 owners don't know they can play back movies.

Consumers are dumb. Never over-estimate the consumer.

Avatar image for thirstychainsaw
thirstychainsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145 thirstychainsaw
Member since 2007 • 3761 Posts
[QUOTE="Zhengi"][QUOTE="johncraven"]

all five of them.

tango90101

thanks

Were you referring to the number of core owners or the amount of MMOs?

tango90101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146 tango90101
[QUOTE="tango90101"][QUOTE="Zhengi"][QUOTE="johncraven"]

all five of them.

thirstychainsaw

thanks

Were you referring to the number of core owners or the amount of MMOs?

core owners.

Avatar image for thirstychainsaw
thirstychainsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147 thirstychainsaw
Member since 2007 • 3761 Posts

GunSmith1_basic

Rockstar did say the HDD is a pain, but you know whats wierd...the 360 version was ahead of the PS3 by two weeks :|

Also PS3 has it's own pains, but alot of Cows seem to overlook that statement (not saying you're a Cow)
Tri-valley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148 Tri-valley
Member since 2006 • 560 Posts

A) This isn't new. Since the FF MMO, it's been known.

B) For those who bought the Core, they deserve to not play the five or so game that may require a hard rive. 5 minutes of research could tell ANYBODY how a hard drive is pretty much needed. If someone isn't willing to check up on such an expensive product... well, a fool and his money are soon parted.

Is it good? No. Does it stop the 360 from being a great system? No. Does anyone outside of fanboys care about this? No. Spokespeople are wrong constantly. Things repeatedly don't work out and corporations habitually go back on some promises. Any experienced gamer knows this and has gotten over it. Immature and insecure gamers.... make threads about it in hopes of some sort of cheap validation.... and fail. :roll:

Avatar image for deactivated-5dd711115e664
deactivated-5dd711115e664

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149 deactivated-5dd711115e664
Member since 2005 • 8956 Posts

[QUOTE="ZIMdoom"]The core 360 was obsolete practically after launch. I haven't even seen a store in my city, other than MAYBE EB, that sells it.mikasa

Exactly, so how does this "own" lemmings? Besides how do you play an ONLINE game without a HDD when a HDD is already required to go online?

I don't think it does. I think the core never should have been released and it's death is a good thing for everybody but the very small number of peopel who bought it. Even still, they can just go buy a HDD if they ever need it. Who cares. I said the same thing when lemmings were laughing at the death of the PS3 core. That was even more rare than the 360 core.

I know you want to label me a fanboy, but I'm pretty consistent with my views. The death of the core 360 is irrelevant.

Verge_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150 Verge_6
[QUOTE="GunSmith1_basic"]

Dreams-Visions

Most PS3 owners don't know what a Blu-Ray drive is.

Most 360 owners don't know they can play back movies.

Consumers are dumb. Never over-estimate the consumer.

So true. Why people continue to think that the consumer masses are intelligentis beyond me. Maybe it's because the fact that the majority of civilization is so ignorant it's scary.