Leaked (56 page) doc on future XBOX plans? Removed by MS lawyers

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Overlord93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#201 Overlord93
Member since 2007 • 12602 Posts

[QUOTE="Overlord93"][QUOTE="GamerwillzPS"]Okay, that could do the job, but what is the point of that? Why not just use Blu-ray?GamerwillzPS

For any number of reasons. Cost most likely. If microsoft can avoid using blu-ray, I think it's likely they will.

Blu-ray now is cheaper than it was in 2006, and the speed have gone faster. The PS3 has 2x of drive speed which is the lowest, and is one of PS3's disadvantages. 12x is the fastest available now. PS4 and Xbox 720 (or whatever the name they are calling it) are expected to use 12x Blu-ray.

Cheaper, but not cheapest. MS wants to keep cost down. And they will trim as many unnecessary hardware features to do so.
GamerwillzPS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#202 GamerwillzPS
Member since 2012 • 8531 Posts

[QUOTE="GamerwillzPS"]

[QUOTE="ZombieKiller7"]

Blu-Ray is slower, proprietary and more expensive than DVD9, not to mention much lower adoption.

It's a gimmick.

Sony almost tanked because of Blu-Ray, because they spent money on a gimmick rather than proper hardware, that's why almost none of their games have AA.

MS spent money on an AA chip and upscaler, Sony spent money on Blu-Ray.

ZombieKiller7

Blu-ray is a gimmick? :shock:

Do some research and find out what made the PS3 so successful in terms of games, and then come back. You obviously don't know what you are talking about.

PS3 is successful?

Very.

santoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#203 santoron
Member since 2006 • 8584 Posts

No need for blu-ray.

None whatsoever.

It's a gimmick.

ZombieKiller7
No, it's a storage format, and pretty standard now. You can put one in a next gen console that has faster read times than a DVD drive, and for a fraction of the cost the PS3 faced at launch. Sure, we could still be using CDs now too, but who the heck would want to? More space is a good thing.
GamerwillzPS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#204 GamerwillzPS

[QUOTE="GamerwillzPS"]

[QUOTE="Overlord93"] For any number of reasons. Cost most likely. If microsoft can avoid using blu-ray, I think it's likely they will.Overlord93

Blu-ray now is cheaper than it was in 2006, and the speed have gone faster. The PS3 has 2x of drive speed which is the lowest, and is one of PS3's disadvantages. 12x is the fastest available now. PS4 and Xbox 720 (or whatever the name they are calling it) are expected to use 12x Blu-ray.

Cheaper, but not cheapest. MS wants to keep cost down. And they will trim as many unnecessary hardware features to do so.

Blu-ray is necessary, they will have to use it unless their console is going to be Kinect-oriented.

Microsoft wants to be Nintendo now, so yeah, they will be cutting the cost. :roll:

PS4 is the only console to get if you want actual games. Or PC.

Overlord93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#205 Overlord93

[QUOTE="Overlord93"][QUOTE="GamerwillzPS"]

GamerwillzPS

Blu-ray is necessary, they will have to use it unless their console is going to be Kinect-oriented.

Microsoft wants to be Nintendo now, so yeah, they will be cutting the cost. :roll:

I've already shown blu-ray is not necesary. That was my first point. ¬_¬
ShadowDeathX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#206 ShadowDeathX
Member since 2006 • 11698 Posts
4 GB memory and 2 multi-core CPU's? I call bogus. The bus speed woudn't handle the CPU bandwidth and you don't need a big OS for a game console so 4GB RAM is not needed either. ScreamDream
256-bit is not enough for a CPU? Kaveri has a 128bit bus for the GPU and 256bit for the CPU.
GamerwillzPS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#207 GamerwillzPS

[QUOTE="GamerwillzPS"]

[QUOTE="Overlord93"] Cheaper, but not cheapest. MS wants to keep cost down. And they will trim as many unnecessary hardware features to do so.Overlord93

You are wrong.

Why? Here they are:-

• Games are getting bigger in each generation because more data will be needed for better animations, graphics and physics. PS3 proved this. Almost all PS3 exclusives are using more than 10GB with some exceeded 20GB!
  • Internet connections are not fit for digital distribution yet. Many households around the world are lagging behind. I remember having a dial-up connection in this house. Then moved on my first broadband which is 2Mb. 8Mb was next. And now I got 13Mb. This took about 12 years to advance. Yes, you are reading it correctly, 12 years. It's because I'm not living in a city.
Overlord93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#208 Overlord93

[QUOTE="Overlord93"][QUOTE="GamerwillzPS"]

GamerwillzPS

You are wrong.

• Games are getting bigger in each generation because more data will be needed for better animations, graphics and physics. PS3 proved this. Almost all PS3 exclusives are using more than 10GB with some exceeded 20GB!
  • Internet connections are not fit for digital distribution yet. Many households around the world are lagging behind. I remember having a dial-up connection in this house. Then moved on my first broadband which is 2Mb. 8Mb was next. And now I got 13Mb. This took about 12 years to advance. Yes, you are reading it correctly, 12 years. It's because I'm not living in a city.

Confirmed for alzheimer's
GamerwillzPS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#209 GamerwillzPS

[QUOTE="GamerwillzPS"]

[QUOTE="Overlord93"] I've already shown blu-ray is not necesary. That was my first point. ¬_¬Overlord93

You are wrong.

Confirmed for alzheimer's

:|

Mmkay.

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#210 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

It's ben proven false, people. Check this thread.

It's just a project from a student.

Phazevariance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#211 Phazevariance
Member since 2003 • 12356 Posts

[QUOTE="ZombieKiller7"]

[QUOTE="GamerwillzPS"]

Blu-ray is a gimmick? :shock:

Do some research and find out what made the PS3 so successful in terms of games, and then come back. You obviously don't know what you are talking about.

GamerwillzPS

PS3 is successful?

Very.

From last place, anything can be called successful, but then everything else would be exceptional. Bluray didn't make PS3 games successful, it was the developers that did that. God of War 3, Uncharted 2/3 weren't successful because they used bluray. It was because they were well made games.
Avatar image for bonesawisready5
bonesawisready5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#212 bonesawisready5
Member since 2011 • 4971 Posts
[QUOTE="ShadowDeathX"][QUOTE="bonesawisready5"]How does that compare to the rumored Tri-Core 3Ghz, 1.5GB RAM, 800Mhz GPU in the Wii U? I'm sure it's more powerful, but by how much? Also, they would never, never call it Xbox 720. If anything this should say "Durango" if it's really a project name. Also, why would they have the finalized hardware specs 3-4 years before release? Usually doesn't that happen only in the 12-18 months before launch

Spec ranges are confirmed years before a console release. The finalization they do a year before launch a minor things, not big things. Microsoft's goal is for the Next Xbox to be 8 times more powerful than Xbox 360, with a more realistic look out being between 6 and 7. If the Wii U is three times more powerful than the Xbox 360, then the Next Box will be a little above twice as powerful. If the Wii U is two times more powerful, the Next Xbox will be around three times more powerful. I'll go with the three times more powerful, realistically speaking.

So if the Wii U is three times as powerful as the Xbox 360, and the Xbox 720 is 6 times as powerful as the 360 making it twice as powerful as the Wii U we would essentially have the WIi U = PS2, Xbox 720= Original Xbox. Is this right or am I doing something wrong? I wouldn't think that would be much of a gap for developers.
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#213 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

Lucianu

Makes sense. The idea of 2 CPUs is just stupid.

famicommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#214 famicommander
Member since 2008 • 8524 Posts

[QUOTE="Lucianu"]

Wasdie

They're actually talking about three. One ARM, one x86, and a PPC chip for 360 b/c. Twelve cores across three CPUs and two discreet GPUs And people still think it's real.
GamerwillzPS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#215 GamerwillzPS

[QUOTE="GamerwillzPS"]

[QUOTE="ZombieKiller7"]

PS3 is successful?

Phazevariance

Very.

From last place, anything can be called successful, but then everything else would be exceptional. Bluray didn't make PS3 games successful, it was the developers that did that. God of War 3, Uncharted 2/3 weren't successful because they used bluray. It was because they were well made games.

Blu-ray has contributed to that.

If it wasn't for Blu-ray, those exclusives would have been different and toned down. So Blu-ray is what made the PS3 stand out in this generation.

balfe1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#216 balfe1990
Member since 2009 • 6747 Posts

So Blu-ray is what made the PS3 stand out in this generation.

GamerwillzPS

You know it's a sad state of affairs when a console's best point is apparently it's storage medium.

ScreamDream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#217 ScreamDream
Member since 2006 • 3953 Posts
[QUOTE="ScreamDream"]4 GB memory and 2 multi-core CPU's? I call bogus. The bus speed woudn't handle the CPU bandwidth and you don't need a big OS for a game console so 4GB RAM is not needed either. ShadowDeathX
256-bit is not enough for a CPU? Kaveri has a 128bit bus for the GPU and 256bit for the CPU.

OK read a little about it. Doesn't seem to be too many specs about it but come on. Do you really think a high end APU that's going to be the highest end PC is going to make a console? LOL. Kaveri
ScreamDream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#218 ScreamDream
Member since 2006 • 3953 Posts

[QUOTE="Lucianu"]

Wasdie

Oops missed that. I called it right though.
tikki25x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#219 tikki25x
Member since 2003 • 1546 Posts

well somebody should tell the internet this was just a term paper. the story,s on the front page of IGN AND Kotaku. lol. but considering those two sights im guessing noones too surprised. interesting that the article got taken down apparantly for copyright issues. hmmmmmm

RyviusARC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#220 RyviusARC
Member since 2011 • 5708 Posts

[QUOTE="ShadowDeathX"]

My PC is 30x more powerful in GPU. My PC wins.

theuncharted34

Your PC has a 3-way GTX 680 SLI?

That's the only way you'd have 30x the GPU power than xbox 360.:P (A bit more, perhaps)

The GTX 680 is around 24x the power of an xbox 360.
ShadowDeathX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#222 ShadowDeathX
[QUOTE="theuncharted34"]

[QUOTE="ShadowDeathX"]

My PC is 30x more powerful in GPU. My PC wins.

RyviusARC

Your PC has a 3-way GTX 680 SLI?

That's the only way you'd have 30x the GPU power than xbox 360.:P (A bit more, perhaps)

The GTX 680 is around 24x the power of an xbox 360.

Not quite mister.
ShadowDeathX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#223 ShadowDeathX

well somebody should tell the internet this was just a term paper. the story,s on the front page of IGN AND Kotaku. lol. but considering those two sights im guessing noones too surprised. interesting that the article got taken down apparantly for copyright issues. hmmmmmm

tikki25x
Tell me how a term paper has stuff on it that wasn't announced 2 years ago but was just announced 2 weeks ago?
tikki25x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#224 tikki25x

[QUOTE="tikki25x"]

ShadowDeathX

Tell me how a term paper has stuff on it that wasn't announced 2 years ago but was just announced 2 weeks ago?

check the end of my post sir. the hmmmm means i think there might be some truth to it. they did take the article down. but i really doubt kinda doubt it. honestly think a document on something that important would actually be longer than 56 pages. but who knows. well find out soon enough. too sketchy for me to really make a decision right now. actually got removed by MS,s law firm. hmmmmmm. lol

El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#225 El_Zo1212o
Member since 2009 • 6057 Posts
Who the hell games in their living room anyway i game in my bedroom.Xboxdroolz
People like me who can't fit their embarassingly large TVs in their bedrooms...
famicommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#226 famicommander
[QUOTE="tikki25x"]

ShadowDeathX

You can put whatever date you want on a fake, dude. Just because it says 2010 on it doesn't mean it wasn't made last week.
spiderluck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#227 spiderluck
Member since 2012 • 2405 Posts
[QUOTE="ShadowDeathX"][QUOTE="tikki25x"]

famicommander

You can put whatever date you want on a fake, dude. Just because it says 2010 on it doesn't mean it wasn't made last week.

Covington and Burling a legal firm that has represented MS in the past has had the host site take the article down because of copywrite infringement....hmm ..could be real
tikki25x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#228 tikki25x

[QUOTE="famicommander"][QUOTE="ShadowDeathX"] Tell me how a term paper has stuff on it that wasn't announced 2 years ago but was just announced 2 weeks ago?spiderluck

Covington and Burling a legal firm that has represented MS in the past has had the host site take the article down because of copywrite infringement....hmm ..could be real

yeah thats kinda got me changing my mind a bit. i have no idea what to believe. starting to think the thing might be real, just old as all hell. pretty sure those specs will change. especially after Epic called people out about making sure the new systems are powerful enough. least i hope so.

famicommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#229 famicommander

[QUOTE="spiderluck"][QUOTE="famicommander"] You can put whatever date you want on a fake, dude. Just because it says 2010 on it doesn't mean it wasn't made last week.tikki25x

yeah thats kinda got me changing my mind a bit. i have no idea what to believe. starting to think the thing might be real, just old as all hell. pretty sure those specs will change. especially after Epic called people out about making sure the new systems are powerful enough. least i hope so.

It's still fake. Microsoft probably made them take it down because of all the trademarks they use. They don't want this kind of misinformation out there any more than anyone else would.
Rockman999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#230 Rockman999
Member since 2005 • 7507 Posts
[QUOTE="ShadowDeathX"]Oh I'm sorry. I committed a spelling mistake. Kill me.

Man that guy... so much buttrage. :lol:
04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#231 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23832 Posts
Both the GTX 680 and 7970 are above 15x faster then the Xenos but are not 24x(unless your including all other aspects). However the 7970 also has 12x the memory and 12x the memory bandwidth, while the GTX 680 has 8x the memory and over 8x the memory bandwidth.
spiderluck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#232 spiderluck
Member since 2012 • 2405 Posts
Both the GTX 680 and 7970 are above 15x faster then the Xenos but are not 24x(unless your including all other aspects). However the 7970 also has 12x the memory and 12x the memory bandwidth, while the GTX 680 has 8x the memory and over 8x the memory bandwidth. 04dcarraher
My computer knowledge can be resumed in one word ...none....but do you think this configuration if true can run unadulterated UE 4 with acceptable frame rates
04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#233 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23832 Posts
[QUOTE="04dcarraher"]Both the GTX 680 and 7970 are above 15x faster then the Xenos but are not 24x(unless your including all other aspects). However the 7970 also has 12x the memory and 12x the memory bandwidth, while the GTX 680 has 8x the memory and over 8x the memory bandwidth. spiderluck
My computer knowledge can be resumed in one word ...none....but do you think this configuration if true can run unadulterated UE 4 with acceptable frame rates

Epic has stated that you need a gpu that can do 1 TFLOPS (1000GFLOPS) of performance to get UE 4's unprecedented capabilities. The GTX 680 and AMD 7970 do over 3 TFLOPS (3000 GFLOPS). However the engine will scale down to the hardware and dont expect the next xbox's GPU to do more then 800GFLOPS.
2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#234 2Chalupas
Member since 2009 • 7284 Posts

lol @ people acting like you cant use your pc in the living room. Who the hell games in their living room anyway i game in my bedroom.Xboxdroolz

Why would anyone that doesn't live at home with their parents have their video games in their bedroom? Doesn't make sense.:?

shinrabanshou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#235 shinrabanshou
Member since 2009 • 8458 Posts

Updated OP.

Update: Covington and Burling LLP, Microsoft Corporation's legal counsel requested the removal of the document.

This doesn't validate the veracity, however, Occam's razor...

captainqwark20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#236 captainqwark20
Member since 2012 • 1221 Posts
The only reason i ever gamed in the living room because my parents had bigger tv than me, but they'd end up kicking me out of the room because they want to watch cable tv lol.Xboxdroolz
Better be careful your parents don't see what you do with the Move controller in your bedroom.
Mystery_Writer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#237 Mystery_Writer
Member since 2004 • 8351 Posts
This is one interesting thread.. Lots of cool info. thanks TC