Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#301  Edited By Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23974 Posts

@aigis said:
@Maroxad said:
@aigis said:

Honestly, I like every character in 3 and 4 and thought they the character development is awesome. Each character was likable and had their own unique personality. I thought the humor is very good even though it may seem to be objectively not good. I think the real disconnect might just be the styles between Devil Survivor and Persona 4. You may enjoy 3 more because its darker than 4, 4 is the upbeat one out of the two. If you like visual novel games, I could suggest the zero escape series. The story and characters are really good in that too.

The humor is the reason I bought Persona 4 in the first place (that and something to smoothen the transition into other SMT games). Before buying a game, I tend to watch the first 3 episodes of a Youtube lets play to determine if the gameplay appeals to me. And Kinshikoora Morooka (the homeroom teacher) sold me on the game.

I have been hearing that a few times that I might prefer P3 but P3 has social linking, which is a massive red flag for me (even though the story I saw in the 2 movies showcased a more touching, darker story than P4). Sadly, what utterly destroyed my desire to play any more Persona games is the Social Linking aspect. I absolutely hated it in Persona 4, I hated it even more in Devil Survivor 2. And from what I hear SMT4 Final might have Social Linking as well, which in that case, I am not even touching the game. If true, I think I am done with SMT... shame, because the series had such a good run.

As for Zero Escape, @BrunoBRS repeatedly badgered me into Zero Escape. Between Akane, Bruno's Badgering and a plot with a heavy dose of garbage (Pseudoscience and even some hints of stuff you might see on the youtube channel Spirit Science). I cant really say I liked the game. In fact, it is probably my least favorite visual novel.

You could try Persona 1 or 2 EP / IS, im pretty sure those didnt have social links. I haven't tried them yet because they didnt have them and I like the character development from them :P. Its supposed to be darker, so it might be up your ally if you really are opposed to social links.

For Zero Escape... Why are you crushing all my favorite games T . T

Because I am a pretender to the throne of Lord of Hate.

Persona 2 was really good. It has aged, but its a good game nonetheless. What I am somewhat hoping with Persona 5 is that it will be a hybrid between 2, 3 and 4. Taking the best elements of each. I dont like Social Linking but a lot of people do, maybe they could be improved so I can like them too.

The concept of Social Linking is absolutely fine, telling microstories that are thematically connected to the main plot is a great way to build up the surrounding world. What I dont like is how the current mechanical implementation punishes you for roleplaying.

aigis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#302 aigis
Member since 2015 • 7355 Posts

@darkangel115: You are missing the point... The issue is you are criticizing something you know nothing about...

darkangel115

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#303 darkangel115
Member since 2013 • 4562 Posts

@aigis said:

@darkangel115: You are missing the point... The issue is you are criticizing something you know nothing about...

You are missing the point that I don't need to play a game to know stuff about it. I already know I won't like dark souls 3 even though it's not even out yet because I didn't like 2 or bloodborne. I already listed 4 things i know about it on why I don't like it. Combat system, art style, Genre, Setting. If I don't like racing games, I don't need to play forza to say I won't like it. Why is that so hard to understand and why are the people here so defense about persona and can't accept that some people just won't like it.

aigis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#304  Edited By aigis

@darkangel115 said:
@aigis said:

You are missing the point that I don't need to play a game to know stuff about it.

You have proven you know little on the game when you talk about it though... Just stop while you're ahead, you aren't convincing anybody...

rollermint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#305 rollermint
Member since 2010 • 632 Posts

@darkangel115 said:
@aigis said:

You are missing the point that I don't need to play a game to know stuff about it...

Have some pity for yourself, man.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#306  Edited By Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23974 Posts

@darkangel115 said:
@aigis said:

You are missing the point that I don't need to play a game to know stuff about it. I already know I won't like dark souls 3 even though it's not even out yet because I didn't like 2 or bloodborne. I already listed 4 things i know about it on why I don't like it. Combat system, art style, Genre, Setting. If I don't like racing games, I don't need to play forza to say I won't like it. Why is that so hard to understand and why are the people here so defense about persona and can't accept that some people just won't like it.

If I had your attitude, I wouldnt have played some of my favorite games.

The demon art of Persona 4 is great. And Persona 5 just oozes style... in fact, it is probably the most stylish game I have ever seen.

Persona 3 and 4 are pretty unique games... I think they surprised us all in one way or another as we played them. The only way to truly know Persona is to actually play it. There truly is nothing quite like them.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#307 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

@darkangel115 said:
@GreySeal9 said:
@darkangel115 said:
@aigis said:
@charizard1605 said:

Somehow, I don't believe you.

+1 disbelief

I already proved that. plus even if i didn't, it's nothing a 5 min video on youtube or reading a page on Wikipedia wouldn't fix. I can make it really simple, anything that looks like either of your avatars has no interest to me and is all I need to know.

@charizard1605 said:

@clone01: Who's the other troll?

Far from trolling. how is saying I don't like something trolling

You weren't just saying you didn't like something. You were making downright absurd arguments against turned-based combat.

that it's outdated? i mean it is. a 69 mustang is an outdated car, but personally I'd take one over a newer model. It's still outdated though while I'm listening to my 8 track on it.

You actually haven't managed to substantiate your claim that turn-based battle systems are outdated, but don't pretend that's all you argued. You also said that turn-based battle systems are for children, even when their complexity was broken down for you. Then that ridiculous claim was easily rebutted by naming turn-based games for adults. It's one thing to not like turn-based combat, but you are going father than that and attempting foolish arguments when you could easily say, "It's just not my thing." If you did that, no one would attack your posts. It's your shit arguments that people are attacking.

BIOKILLER123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#308 BIOKILLER123
Member since 2010 • 1078 Posts

@darkangel115 said:
@jbc7343 said:
@darkangel115 said:
@aigis said:
@darkangel115 said:

lol it's system wars that's all everyone here does for the most part. Look at Ryse, or the order, or halo , or any exclusive and you get people trashing it who never played it. That's not what I'm doing. I know how JRPGs are and I don't like anything about them, and I don't like anything about anime.

I know you are right, but my opinion is different so I'm going to make stupid posts at you

I know you are right, but my opinion is different so I'm going to make my stupid posts and troll you, anyway.

Now, it's fixed.

stop stealing my lines.

The issue is the hypersensitivity people have here when persona gets criticized, which is exactly the behavior I'd expect from someone who likes a game like it.

Loading Video...

Sorry but the internet isn't a safe space, people will like different things and criticize things you like. If you don't like it too bad. Nothing I said has been offense, or attacking another user. Get over it

This was a good episode.

darkangel115

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#309 darkangel115

@aigis said:
@darkangel115 said:
@aigis said:

You are missing the point that I don't need to play a game to know stuff about it.

You have proven you know little on the game when you talk about it though... Just stop while you're ahead, you aren't convincing anybody...

so first i know nothing now i know little? looks like you admit u were wrong. thank you for finally admitting that

darkangel115

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#310 darkangel115

@rollermint said:
@darkangel115 said:
@aigis said:

You are missing the point that I don't need to play a game to know stuff about it...

lol pity for what? making u all look wrong

for instance - I don't like COD becuase i don't like FPS and it's a dude bro game seems to be valid, but for me to say I don't like persona because It's a JRPG and I don't like anything "anime style" isn't? come on, get over your personal preference and look at what a tool you are being

darkangel115

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#311 darkangel115

@Maroxad said:
@darkangel115 said:
@aigis said:

If I had your attitude, I wouldnt have played some of my favorite games.

The demon art of Persona 4 is great. And Persona 5 just oozes style... in fact, it is probably the most stylish game I have ever seen.

Persona 3 and 4 are pretty unique games... I think they surprised us all in one way or another as we played them. The only way to truly know Persona is to actually play it. There truly is nothing quite like them.

unique or not, still doesn't mean I like it. lou gherigs disease is pretty unique, still wouldn't want it. I don't play a game for art, i play for fun. Turn based isn't fun for me. No way I'd like it.

darkangel115

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#312 darkangel115

@GreySeal9 said:
@darkangel115 said:
@GreySeal9 said:
@darkangel115 said:
@aigis said:

+1 disbelief

I already proved that. plus even if i didn't, it's nothing a 5 min video on youtube or reading a page on Wikipedia wouldn't fix. I can make it really simple, anything that looks like either of your avatars has no interest to me and is all I need to know.

@charizard1605 said:

@clone01: Who's the other troll?

You weren't just saying you didn't like something. You were making downright absurd arguments against turned-based combat.

that it's outdated? i mean it is. a 69 mustang is an outdated car, but personally I'd take one over a newer model. It's still outdated though while I'm listening to my 8 track on it.

You actually haven't managed to substantiate your claim that turn-based battle systems are outdated, but don't pretend that's all you argued. You also said that turn-based battle systems are for children, even when their complexity was broken down for you. Then that ridiculous claim was easily rebutted by naming turn-based games for adults. It's one thing to not like turn-based combat, but you are going father than that and attempting foolish arguments when you could easily say, "It's just not my thing." If you did that, no one would attack your posts. It's your shit arguments that people are attacking.

hold on, I never said turn based combat was for children. I said the whole anime JRPG style game was for teens and young adults (i might have said children in that too) but that had nothing to do with the combat. I did say it is outdated, it was created to add complexity with lack of inputs. back when we had 2 button controllers and 1 dpad, combat couldn't be complex. it was jump and attack. but a turn based system allowed for more interaction from the gamer. now with controllers having at least 8 buttons 2 thumbsticks and a dpad it allows for better combat systems. Not to mention games are 3d now compared to the 2d games of old. But besides that, i did say there is nothing wrong with liking that kind of combat, I just said it's outdated. Even referenced Parasite eve as a game which tried to break out of it with the action/time type system that is a mix between turn based and real time as an evolution to it.

darkangel115

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#313 darkangel115

@BIOKILLER123 said:
@darkangel115 said:
@jbc7343 said:
@darkangel115 said:
@aigis said:

I know you are right, but my opinion is different so I'm going to make stupid posts at you

I know you are right, but my opinion is different so I'm going to make my stupid posts and troll you, anyway.

Now, it's fixed.

stop stealing my lines.

The issue is the hypersensitivity people have here when persona gets criticized, which is exactly the behavior I'd expect from someone who likes a game like it.

Loading Video...

Sorry but the internet isn't a safe space, people will like different things and criticize things you like. If you don't like it too bad. Nothing I said has been offense, or attacking another user. Get over it

This was a good episode.

Yes it was. and south park is childish, but i still love it. But every time people here start getting all defense of persona i always think of them like cartman in this episode

verbtex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#314 verbtex  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 9196 Posts

No, I think it has just been replaced by real time combat since so many processors are capable of so much more.

aigis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#315  Edited By aigis

@darkangel115 said:
@aigis said:
@darkangel115 said:
@aigis said:

so first i know nothing now i know little? looks like you admit u were wrong. thank you for finally admitting that

All this raving is funny to watch and all, but try to have some dignity... You are really going to pick out wording to prove your point, if anything now I realize that I made a mistake and little should have been nothing...

@darkangel115 said:
@rollermint said:
@darkangel115 said:
@aigis said:

come on, get over your personal preference and look at what a tool you are being

Irony is humorous indeed.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#317  Edited By GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

@darkangel115 said:
@GreySeal9 said:
@darkangel115 said:
@GreySeal9 said:

hold on, I never said turn based combat was for children. I said the whole anime JRPG style game was for teens and young adults (i might have said children in that too) but that had nothing to do with the combat. I did say it is outdated, it was created to add complexity with lack of inputs. back when we had 2 button controllers and 1 dpad, combat couldn't be complex. it was jump and attack. but a turn based system allowed for more interaction from the gamer. now with controllers having at least 8 buttons 2 thumbsticks and a dpad it allows for better combat systems. Not to mention games are 3d now compared to the 2d games of old. But besides that, i did say there is nothing wrong with liking that kind of combat, I just said it's outdated. Even referenced Parasite eve as a game which tried to break out of it with the action/time type system that is a mix between turn based and real time as an evolution to it.

Trying to revise what happened in this thread will not work since you posted this:

Popular mostly for children and mobile gamers. Lets be honest, children like terrible things.

It will be interesting to see how you spin this.

jbc7343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#318 jbc7343
Member since 2007 • 441 Posts

@GreySeal9: dude, he's talked about food and disease to try and prove his point. I wouldn't put it past him to pull something out of his ass.

jbc7343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#319 jbc7343
Member since 2007 • 441 Posts

@darkangel115: No one stole anything. You obviously expressed some difficulty in putting a sentence together before so I was merely helping you out.

smashed_pinata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#320 smashed_pinata
Member since 2005 • 3747 Posts

I wish it was, can't stand it. Bores me to tears.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#321  Edited By Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19664 Posts

@darkangel115:

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#322 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

So have we decided if it's dead yet?

khoofia_pika

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#323 khoofia_pika
Member since 2006 • 16761 Posts

@lostrib said:

So have we decided if it's dead yet?

lol nope

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#324 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

Thread sucks, Turn based games are alive and well

Seanh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#325 Seanh
Member since 2015 • 203 Posts

@charizard1605 said:
@jbc7343 said:

@charizard1605: I'm inclined to agree. I still see tons of people fighting it though. I was really trying to understand why? Some of my fondest memories of gaming are games that include turn-based combat (Legend of Dragoon comes to mind). I'm happy to see it returning and just question why people still fight it?

And yes, I would consider Original Sin 1 and 2 turn-based. And I think you meant Dragon Quest VII and VIII. However, I question the validity of Ni no Kuni being turn-based.

I added another few games to my list. But yes. Turn based combat is still around here. Pity Square Enix (well, the FF side, anyway) cannot see that.

Yup - This is what annoys me most about their games now.

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#326 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29827 Posts

@darkangel115 said:
@GreySeal9 said:
@darkangel115 said:
@GreySeal9 said:
@darkangel115 said:

Jesus Christ, unsubscribe. If I wanted to hear a buffoon talk this much, I'd tune in to the republican debates.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#327  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59238 Posts

Turn based is doing pretty well on pc thanks to the CRPG resurgence and indie games.

Even as this thread was going the creator of the long war mod announced a video game in development.

"Flourishing" seems to be the apt word.

rollermint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#328 rollermint
Member since 2010 • 632 Posts

@verbtex:

@verbtex said:

No, I think it has just been replaced by real time combat since so many processors are capable of so much more.

That may be so but the human players still are not capable to micro-manage and execute orders to multiple characters that may have even more skills, abilities and stats, giving them detailed waypoints and actions. This is where turn-based comes in, it allows the human player to accomplish complex things that they simply couldn't in real time...because it is simply impossible.

Plus, since we are still getting newer titles in the genre (plus imho it has never been more healthier than it is now...and getting better actually), I don't think turn-based is being replaced...by anything, really.

PernicioEnigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#329  Edited By PernicioEnigma
Member since 2010 • 6662 Posts

Both Divinity:OS 2 and Xcom 2 are turn based and they're highly anticipated. There are many others too. If anything I'd say turn-based combat is making a bit of a resurgence.

napo_sp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#330 napo_sp
Member since 2006 • 649 Posts

http://www.dsogaming.com/screenshot-news/dual-gear-unreal-engine-4-powered-mecha-turn-based-game-first-screenshots/