jbc7343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 jbc7343
Member since 2007 • 441 Posts

How do you feel about turn-based combat? Recent games like Bravely Default, Undertale and Persona show that people still like and enjoy games with turn-based combat? Why do people fight the idea of turn-based combat coming back to games like Final Fantasy, or even newer or existing IPs, when the formula still proves to be popular and engaging today?

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#2  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

Just next year, we are getting:

• Persona 5
  • Dragon Quest VII
  • Dragon Quest VIII
  • Dragon Quest XI
  • Bravely Second
  • Fire Emblem Fates
  • Ni no Kuni II: Revenant Wings
  • XCOM 2
  • Shin Megami Tensei IV FINAL
  • Etrian Odyssey V
  • Divinity: Original Sin 2

Plus the fact that Pokemon remains one of the highest selling games on the market.

I'm going to say that no, it is not dead. In fact, I'd say it's making a comeback.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#3 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

No. Turn based combat is coming back and becoming stronger. Can't wait for DOS 2.

jbc7343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By jbc7343

@charizard1605: I'm inclined to agree. I still see tons of people fighting it though. I was really trying to understand why? Some of my fondest memories of gaming are games that include turn-based combat (Legend of Dragoon comes to mind). I'm happy to see it returning and just question why people still fight it?

And yes, I would consider Original Sin 1 and 2 turn-based. And I think you meant Dragon Quest VII and VIII. However, I question the validity of Ni no Kuni being turn-based.

jbc7343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 jbc7343

@Cloud_imperium said:

No. Turn based combat is coming back and becoming stronger. Can't wait for DOS 2.

Dude, me too. OS 1 rocked!

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#6  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

@jbc7343 said:

@charizard1605: I'm inclined to agree. I still see tons of people fighting it though. I was really trying to understand why? Some of my fondest memories of gaming are games that include turn-based combat (Legend of Dragoon comes to mind). I'm happy to see it returning and just question why people still fight it?

And yes, I would consider Original Sin 1 and 2 turn-based. And I think you meant Dragon Quest VII and VIII. However, I question the validity of Ni no Kuni being turn-based.

I added another few games to my list. But yes. Turn based combat is still around here. Pity Square Enix (well, the FF side, anyway) cannot see that.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#7 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

@jbc7343 said:
@Cloud_imperium said:

Dude, me too. OS 1 rocked!

It was my 2014's GOTY. Divinity: Original Sin 2 seems to be everything that I want from RPG. A kickass combat system, no handholding, sandbox levels, great encounters, excellent mission design with a lot of freedom and......... now all of that on steroids and Chris Avellone's writing. Hell yeah, baby.

khoofia_pika

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#8 khoofia_pika
Member since 2006 • 16761 Posts

I don't think so. Franchises such as Dragon Quest, Pokemon and Persona are keeping turn based combat alive and relevant (and extremely enjoyable), and games such as Persona 5, Ni No Kuni 2, Fire Emblem: Fates, Bravely Second and DQ 11 next year are going to work towards that as well.

darkangel115

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 darkangel115
Member since 2013 • 4562 Posts

yes it's dead. it's a completely outdated combat system

Avatar image for deactivated-58abb194ab6fb
deactivated-58abb194ab6fb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-58abb194ab6fb
Member since 2010 • 3984 Posts

No genre of game really dies although people do get tired of them and they go away fro awhile. It just needs that 1 game to spark the interest back and then you have the devs spitting out more and more of that genre of games. Turn base will came back as soon as anyone thinks.

jbc7343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 jbc7343

@darkangel115 said:

But why? What makes it dead to you?

darkangel115

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 darkangel115

@jbc7343 said:
@darkangel115 said:

It's an old archaic combat system. Even FF has ditched it. games that use it now are just lazy. even south park SoT made fun of itself for using it. It was the one negative in an otherwise surprisingly good game

intotheminx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13 intotheminx
Member since 2014 • 2608 Posts

No. The best game of 2014 is turned based. Divinity: OS. Next year, PC users get OS 2 and XCOM 2 to look forward to.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 ConanTheStoner  Online
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts
@jbc7343 said:

Why do people fight the idea of turn-based combat coming back to games like Final Fantasy, or even newer or existing IPs, when the formula still proves to be popular and engaging today?

There has always been a sub section of gamers that believe turn based combat is archaic, or simply has no place in gaming. They typically have a gross misunderstanding of how turn based games work, or they flat out dislike those types of games and feel like "if I don't like them then they must suck."

I file these idiots under the same category as people who think 2d games have no place in modern gaming.

It's funny seeing as you'll find more turn based rpgs with quality gameplay than you'll find with action rpgs that typically have sub par gameplay. Just as 2d tends to be more suitable for good platformers and fighting games than their 3d counterparts.

But there are just people of the mindset that if it was a standard way back then, then it must be dated now.

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Renevent42
Member since 2010 • 6654 Posts

@intotheminx said:

No. The best game of 2014 is turned based. Divinity: OS. Next year, PC users get OS 2 and XCOM 2 to look forward to.

Absolutely.

Postosuchus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Postosuchus
Member since 2005 • 907 Posts

@Renevent42 said:
@intotheminx said:

Absolutely.

Hear Hear! Larian claims D:OS 2 will be to the first game what Baldur's Gate 2 was to BG1, I've got sky high hype considering how good Original Sin was. I really wonder how the console versions did though of that and Wasteland 2. If XCOM was any indicator probably not well.

jbc7343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By jbc7343

@darkangel115: And, arguably, since Final Fantasy has ditched turned-based combat, it's become a worse series for doing so.

Turned-based seems prevalent on portable hardware but I have a feeling that if a game were designed today for consoles and PC with today's graphical prowess that it would be immensely popular.

guard12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#18 guard12
Member since 2004 • 2018 Posts

My friends for example think turn based games are not "fast paced" enough for them. I for one love turn based games. Looking forward to 2016. Lots of offerings this time around.

Paradocs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Paradocs
Member since 2015 • 264 Posts

Simply put, no. I feel like turn-based video games will continue to evolve - this is evident with a game like Atlas Reactor on the horizon, in the name of keeping things short, I recommend checking it out to get an understanding of what I mean.

A considerable chunk of gamers are casuals, and casuals refuse to find enjoyment out of anything that isn't a sports game or a "Cinematic First and/or Third Person" Shooter.

Even though cinematic experiences should be left to the Film Industry, and Gaming should be a different experience all together.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23941 Posts

Considering that Underrail was released not too long ago and has already solidified its position as a cult classic. I doubt it.

@charizard1605 said:

• Ni no Kuni II: Revenant Wings

Wait... is it actually going to be turn based this time?

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

@jbc7343 said:
@darkangel115 said:

It is slow fck gameplay

360ru13r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22 360ru13r
Member since 2008 • 1856 Posts

I've never hated turn based combat. Personally I've hated games that auto-level the character for me and are on to much of a predetermined character class path.

Link3301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Link3301
Member since 2008 • 2001 Posts

It's not dead, but for some reason the AAA sector of the industry has turned it's back on it. It's honestly quite sad. I've been getting into JRPG's lately and have to say that turn based combat can be very satisfying when done right. The issue is that the casual audience want faster games, which is why pretty much all AAA RPGs are action RPGs now, while most turn-based games along with real time combat games are being abandoned. People apparently rather have a sloppy Elders Scrolls/Fallout style combat game with floaty controls, rather than an engrossing strategic turn based game.

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Mr_Huggles_dog
Member since 2014 • 7805 Posts

I have and will probably always enjoy turn based games.

I even like turn based strategy games which is what I thought this thread was about.

darkangel115

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 darkangel115

@jbc7343 said:

@darkangel115: And, arguably, since Final Fantasy has ditched turned-based combat, it's become a worse series for doing so.

Turned-based seems prevalent on portable hardware but I have a feeling that if a game were designed today for consoles and PC with today's graphical prowess that it would be immensely popular.

yeah for portable it's fine due to limitation but not for consoles/PC games

bussinrounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 bussinrounds
Member since 2009 • 3324 Posts

Not enough AWESOME ACTION for the kiddies and casuals who just want to spam the left-click button/headshot noobs until the world explodes and they're covered in a pile of steaming bullshit achievements that tells them how great they are and how fantastic it was that they were able to push that left-click button/no scope enough to kill monster/online player #8654476596

intotheminx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By intotheminx
Member since 2014 • 2608 Posts

@Postosuchus said:
@Renevent42 said:
@intotheminx said:

Absolutely.

Hear Hear! Larian claims D:OS 2 will be to the first game what Baldur's Gate 2 was to BG1, I've got sky high hype considering how good Original Sin was. I really wonder how the console versions did though of that and Wasteland 2. If XCOM was any indicator probably not well.

Strategy games in general do not do well on console. XCOM EU was a great game and console players did not care. Everything else was in place. It's the game of chess the console players despise. No one likes to think anymore. It's why games like Warhammer and Civ have a slim shot of porting.

SexyJazzCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 SexyJazzCat
Member since 2013 • 2796 Posts

Turn based combat is typically very boring, and games that have them usually shine in some other aspect.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23941 Posts

@SexyJazzCat said:

Turn based combat is typically very boring, and games that have them usually shine in some other aspect.

Jagged Alliance, Magic: The Gathering, Scrolls, X-COM, Chess, Final Fantasy Tactics, Divinity: Original Sin, Wizardry, Invisible Inc, Pokemon, Shin Megami Tensei, NEO Scavanger, Temple of Elemental Evil had bad combat?

RTwP has only 1 good combat system (7.62 Calibre) under its belt. And that game was pretty niche.

Action RPGs have been a bit more successful with Dark Messiah, Souls, Dragons Dogma, Ys and Mountain Blade. But outside of those games, it has been nonstop crap.

The only good ATB game is Labyrinth of Touhou 1 and 2.

khoofia_pika

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#31  Edited By khoofia_pika
Member since 2006 • 16761 Posts

@SexyJazzCat said:

This isn't even slightly true. If you'd played the likes of Fire Emblem, XCOM, Pokemon or Dragon Quest- to name just a few- you'd know that, just like real time combat, turn based combat can be excellent if it is done right. You can point to games like Dragon Age or Oblivion and make a case for real time combat being clunky and broken, but that would be just as untrue as what you said.

Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts

The people in this thread who have zero idea of all the turn based combat games that are streaming out at the minute. Think I bought 4 on this steam sale alone.

NyaDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#33  Edited By NyaDC
Member since 2014 • 8006 Posts

@jbc7343 said:
@darkangel115 said:

It was created because of technical limitations at the time of development, not because it's some type of good combat system, it's a product of its time.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60718 Posts

Nope, more games than ever next year.

blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator

@nyadc said:
@jbc7343 said:
@darkangel115 said:

It was created because of technical limitations at the time of development, not because it's some type of good combat system, it's a product of its time.

No simply different. It allows a tactical approach vs an action one. Its like comparing mount and blade to total war, I love both types of battles but they are very different.

NyaDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 NyaDC

@blue_hazy_basic said:
@nyadc said:
@jbc7343 said:
@darkangel115 said:

No simply different. It allows a tactical approach vs an action one. Its like comparing mount and blade to total war, I love both types of battles but they are very different.

I think you missed the point of my comment, turn based combat was invented because of technical limitations at the time of its inception, it was the best method of combat for its time.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

Looking at game releases it's not dead

heguain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 283

User Lists: 37

#38 heguain
Member since 2007 • 1433 Posts

@Cloud_imperium said:

And XCOM 2.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 ConanTheStoner  Online
@nyadc said:
@jbc7343 said:
@darkangel115 said:

Random encounters are a product of technical limitations, sure.

Turn based combat is just a system of play and action type games already existed when turn based video games were in their early days.

darkangel115

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 darkangel115

@blue_hazy_basic said:
@nyadc said:
@jbc7343 said:
@darkangel115 said:

turn based is no more tactical then action. It's just slower and lets you take your time making it less tactical IMO

NyaDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 NyaDC

@ConanTheStoner said:
@nyadc said:
@jbc7343 said:
@darkangel115 said:

Random encounters are a product of technical limitations, sure.

Turn based combat is just a system of play and action type games already existed when turn based video games were in their early days.

There was no action supplement at the inception of turn based combat that could provide the level of options turn based could in an RPG, that is why it was made, technical limitations of every other form of combat.

That is no longer a reality.

blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator

@nyadc said:
@blue_hazy_basic said:
@nyadc said:
@jbc7343 said:
@darkangel115 said:

I think you missed the point of my comment, turn based combat was invented because of technical limitations at the time of its inception, it was the best method of combat for its time.

I disagree, it came about because RPG's copied tabletop games.

blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator

@darkangel115 said:

turn based is no more tactical then action. It's just slower and lets you take your time making it less tactical IMO

And its fine when your opinion is wrong ;P

BIOKILLER123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 BIOKILLER123
Member since 2010 • 1077 Posts

Turn based combat is fine. Some like it and some don't.

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#45 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

I'm pretty sure Bravery Default did pretty damn well, as well as other examples brought up in this thread.

For me, turn-based is fine and I am okay with it making a comeback or being prevalent. One thing I'd be okay with never returning is random battles mixed with high encounter rates though.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 ConanTheStoner  Online
@nyadc said:

There was no action supplement at the inception of turn based combat that could provide the level of options turn based could in an RPG, that is why it was made, technical limitations of every other form of combat.

Dude, it's a type of gameplay that pre-dates video gaming. It's a type of gameplay that even without the technical limitations of the past, still can't be offered in action form with a shred of its complexities. Nothing has changed in that respect. They both have their strengths and weaknesses now, just as they did back then.

NyaDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By NyaDC

@ConanTheStoner said:
@nyadc said:

Dude, it's a type of gameplay that pre-dates video gaming. It's a type of gameplay that even without the technical limitations of the past, still can't be offered in action form with a shred of its complexities. Nothing has changed in that respect. They both have their strengths and weaknesses now, just as they did back then.

Of course it pre-dates video games, however it was conceived in video game form as the best method of combat for its time with RPG's, in action games those levels of intricacy were impossible AT THE TIME. You have just as many combat options now in action form that completely negate the need or existence of turned based, its entire point in NEEDING to exist has been negated by games like Skyrim which offer just as many if not more options with real-time control.

This doesn't mean you can't like turn based, but to deny its lack of necessity these days is ridiculous.

Ghost120x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Ghost120x
Member since 2009 • 6059 Posts

It isn't dead as others have said, but it is not "mainstream" like open world games or fps where they sell tons of copies in the first week of release.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#49  Edited By lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61509 Posts

It's nowhere near as popular as it used to be, but there are plenty of games out there with turn-based combat. Some great... Some not so much.

darkangel115

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 darkangel115

@blue_hazy_basic said:
@darkangel115 said:

And its fine when your opinion is wrong ;P

I'm glad you are happy with your wrong opinion ;)