Is Call of Duty a series for casual gamers?

• 157 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

psychobrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 psychobrew
Member since 2008 • 8888 Posts

When I first saw flyable helicopters in Black Ops, I was thrilled. It's been a while since I've played an FPS where I could fly a helicopter (so maybe I'm an on again, off again gamer, but it hasn't been since Battlefield Vietnam). I then watched an interview where the developer said the helicopters were going to automatically adjust elevation for you. Basically, helicopters are going to be on a track to make it easy for people to fly. That doesn't sound very hard core to me and I find this decision dissapointing. The first time I tried to fly a helicopter in Battlefield Vietnam, I crashed. I crashed quite a few times before I got the hang of it,but I still had fun learning how to fly the helicopters and it brought another dimension to the game (one more thing for you to do). Plus, once you got good at it, you felt like you accomplished something. That's an experience you will not get from Black Ops, and I find it strange since they hire ritired army to make the game more authentic.

Call of Dutygames are also entirely scripted and sometimes micromanaged. No matter what you do, your path is pre-determined. How is that hard core? Personally, I'd prefer it if they left thecinematic experience to the movies and focussed on gameplay (what games should be about). Let me make decisions that affect the game, please. Even Disney's Epic Mickey allows me to do that.

We all know casual sells. Just look at the Wii. Could CoD games achieve the level of sales it does if it were really a hard core game?

YuriSH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 YuriSH
Member since 2010 • 1803 Posts
No
Gamtrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Gamtrix
Member since 2010 • 804 Posts

It is, but not as much as say Halo. Halo is by far the most casual of all the popular shooters. Games like Socom are made more for the hardcore.

glez13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 glez13
Member since 2006 • 10310 Posts

Not really. That they have been tailoring it to appeal more to casual gamers is true, but it hasn't crossed the line to become a casual game. Actually I can't even think how a FPS could be a casual game. Maybe make it like a rail-shooter with a DOOM like system where you just aim in one dimension, or something else kinda like that?????? Now you made me think.......:?

YuriSH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 YuriSH

Not really. That they have been tailoring it to appeal more to casual gamers is true, but it hasn't crossed the line to become a casual game. Actually I can't even think how a FPS could be a casual game.

glez13
The closest thing a FPS could get to being casual is games like Duck Hunt lol.
Upparoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Upparoom
Member since 2010 • 2111 Posts

Not really, it appeals to them though. Easy to get into and simple.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b31d3729c1fa
deactivated-5b31d3729c1fa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#7 deactivated-5b31d3729c1fa
Member since 2007 • 11536 Posts

no but mw2 is :P

tagyhag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 tagyhag
Member since 2007 • 15874 Posts
Sure, it's easy to pick up and play. Doesn't mean that other people can't enjoy it though.
glez13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 glez13

[QUOTE="glez13"]

Not really. That they have been tailoring it to appeal more to casual gamers is true, but it hasn't crossed the line to become a casual game. Actually I can't even think how a FPS could be a casual game.

YuriSH

The closest thing a FPS could get to being casual is games like Duck Hunt lol.

Yes. Something like that is the only thing that comes to mind.

Avatar image for Doom_HellKnight
Doom_HellKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#10 Doom_HellKnight
Member since 2005 • 12217 Posts
If being easy to pick up and play means it's for casuals, then sure...
Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#11 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts
[QUOTE="tagyhag"]Sure, it's easy to pick up and play. Doesn't mean that other people can't enjoy it though.

This. Being casual isn't always a bad thing.
siddhu33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 siddhu33
Member since 2008 • 3264 Posts

It is, but not as much as say Halo. Halo is by far the most casual of all the popular shooters. Games like Socom are made more for the hardcore.

Gamtrix

Wait a minute....

You are saying that Halo is more casual than CoD?

Ok, Now I've heard it all.....

DraugenCP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

#13 DraugenCP
Member since 2006 • 8486 Posts

Yes, it's about as casual as shooters get, the single player at least. The gameplay is so linear that not knowing where to go in a level is almost literally impossible, and the game holds you by the hand a lot in terms of instructions and support from NPCs. It features cannon-fodder AI, simplistic objectives, and very easy gunplay (there's barely any recoil and the accuracy of every weapon is near perfect, enemies fall after a few hits). Call of Duty pretty much defines fast-paced, easily accessible, simple and straightforward gameplay in FPS, so in this sense it's about as casual as you can get.

Not saying this is a bad thing, by the way, but it's not my prefered breed of shooter.

glez13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 glez13

If being easy to pick up and play means it's for casuals, then sure...Doom_HellKnight

Well yes this could be another possibility. It being "casual", as in making it casual by force :twisted:

So if easy to pick=casual and CoD=easy to pick, then CoD=casual.

This is fact, since it follows logic.;)

Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#15 Cherokee_Jack
Member since 2008 • 32198 Posts
Yes, because anyone can learn how to play it without much effort. Which is true of many games that are beloved by gamers and thought of as "hardcore". I think the word you're looking for is "linear".
Gamtrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Gamtrix

[QUOTE="Gamtrix"]

siddhu33

Wait a minute....

You are saying that Halo is more casual than CoD?

Ok, Now I've heard it all.....

How can you claim otherwise? Cod is a lot more "complex" then Halo, obvious neither game is complex but in relation to one another, Halo is much more casual then Cod, much more simple and easy to pick up and play.
YuriSH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 YuriSH

[QUOTE="Doom_HellKnight"]If being easy to pick up and play means it's for casuals, then sure...glez13

Well yes this could be another possibility. It being "casual", as in making it casual by force :twisted:

But I don't think that's the case for casual gamers. We think it's easy to pick up to play because we have played shooters before. Just from past things I've seen, casuals seems to have lots of issues trying to move using two analogs, so while someone could say it's trying to appeal to casual it doesn't necessarily mean it's very casual friendly I really doubt a casual could just pick up a controller and play CoD with ease.
DraugenCP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 DraugenCP

[QUOTE="glez13"]

[QUOTE="Doom_HellKnight"]If being easy to pick up and play means it's for casuals, then sure...YuriSH

But I don't think that's the case for casual gamers. We think it's easy to pick up to play because we have played shooters before. Just from past things I've seen, casuals seems to have lots of issues trying to move using two analogs, so while someone could say it's trying to appeal to casual it doesn't necessarily mean it's very casual friendly I really doubt a casual could just pick up a controller and play CoD with ease.

Even Wii Sports takes some getting used to when you first play it, so I don't think this is relevant unless it's the first time they ever play games.

psychobrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 psychobrew

[QUOTE="glez13"]

[QUOTE="Doom_HellKnight"]If being easy to pick up and play means it's for casuals, then sure...YuriSH

I don't know. Sure, it might take some getting used to, but part of that is because dual analogs don't work very well for FPSs. It does, however, seem that anybody will be able to get in to a helicopter and fly one with no preoblem in Black Ops.

millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#21 millerlight89
Member since 2007 • 18658 Posts
I would say so, the games are so easy to master it is ridiculous.
alexandros1313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 alexandros1313
Member since 2006 • 268 Posts

Sadly, yes. Call of Duty 1 and United offensive was the peak of the series. After Call of Duty 2 with health regeneration, it all went downhill.

loadedboon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 loadedboon
Member since 2004 • 1986 Posts

COD 2 and onward are the definition of casual games.

YuriSH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 YuriSH

Even Wii Sports takes some getting used to when you first play it, so I don't think this is relevant unless it's the first time they ever play games.

DraugenCP

Do you really think CoD is a casual game? lol Seriously?

Parasomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Parasomniac
Member since 2007 • 2723 Posts
It's damn near the biggest casual series there is outside of the wii line of franchises.
Avatar image for deactivated-5b4ca38d5fcb0
deactivated-5b4ca38d5fcb0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 deactivated-5b4ca38d5fcb0
Member since 2008 • 2051 Posts

of course it is.

psychobrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 psychobrew

[QUOTE="DraugenCP"]

YuriSH

It's a casual game aimed at casual gamers who think they are hard core because they can master a bloody yet simple FPS.

N30F3N1X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 N30F3N1X
Member since 2009 • 8923 Posts

YuriSH

And do you really think CoD isn't?

Pug-Nasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#29 Pug-Nasty
Member since 2009 • 8508 Posts

I'd say it's more for people with low standards, and casuals fit into that group.

Sp4rtan_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Sp4rtan_3
Member since 2010 • 3495 Posts
Its as casual as wiisports.
rolo107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 rolo107
Member since 2007 • 5469 Posts
Authenticity is not the same as realism, and I don't think they are solely for casuals at all.
glez13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 glez13

[QUOTE="YuriSH"]

N30F3N1X

There is no way for CoD to be an actual casual game. Unless you follow a system similar to the one I described earlier.

YuriSH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 YuriSH

[QUOTE="YuriSH"]

N30F3N1X

No it is not. Just because it's easy to play for you guys doesn't mean it's easy for casuals. They tend to have lack of coordination when dealing with controllers and I've seen this plenty of times to know it isn't as casual as people think it is. Games like Duck Hunt and Time Crisis I'd say is more casual than CoD
TheMightyHoov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 TheMightyHoov
Member since 2009 • 2459 Posts

"Hardcore" is being thrown around again I see.....

iammason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#35 iammason
Member since 2004 • 4189 Posts
Call of Duty is fairly hard core in it's own rights. Those who say it's casual are just haters since the game is so mainstream now. I'm not even going to bother voting because it's obviously a land slide vote. And if it was that casual, my fiance would be able to play. And what's wrong with a linear game? Just because you don't get to make a choice, doesn't make it a terrible game.
HailedJohnDman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#36 HailedJohnDman
Member since 2010 • 1588 Posts

Gamtrix

ok, so a man who made 3 threads saying how ps3 is the most superior system bashes halo, i lol'd

on topic though, yes it is a casual game, as casual as it can get

millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#37 millerlight89
Member since 2007 • 18658 Posts
[QUOTE="iammason"]Call of Duty is fairly hard core in it's own rights. Those who say it's casual are just haters since the game is so mainstream now. I'm not even going to bother voting because it's obviously a land slide vote. And if it was that casual, my fiance would be able to play. And what's wrong with a linear game? Just because you don't get to make a choice, doesn't make it a terrible game.

I can't stand how if someone thinks something is bad/casual/mainstream is deemed as a hater. I am looking forward to BO (PC), but the game is pretty casual compared to many, many other series. Halo is mainstream, but that game is hard to master. CoD is so easy to master it is sad.
Sp4rtan_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Sp4rtan_3
Member since 2010 • 3495 Posts
[QUOTE="iammason"]Call of Duty is fairly hard core in it's own rights. Those who say it's casual are just haters since the game is so mainstream now. I'm not even going to bother voting because it's obviously a land slide vote. And if it was that casual, my fiance would be able to play. And what's wrong with a linear game? Just because you don't get to make a choice, doesn't make it a terrible game.

Im a hater because I think CoD is a casual series ?
Yangire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Yangire
Member since 2010 • 8795 Posts

Yeah, no bullet drop, regenerating health, perks, killstreaks, unrealistically fast gun swapping, unrealistic range for guns, infinite run (if I remember correctly), camp friendly, etc.

All of these things make the game casual to me.

Edit: I do not agree that it's as casual as a game can get, and I do not believe a game being casual is a bad thing.

Gamtrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Gamtrix

[QUOTE="Gamtrix"]

HailedJohnDman

ok, so a man who made 3 threads saying how ps3 is the most superior system bashes halo, i lol'd

on topic though, yes it is a casual game, as casual as it can get

You've just admited Halo is casual too. THat isn't a bash, it's the truth.
iammason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 iammason
[QUOTE="iammason"]Call of Duty is fairly hard core in it's own rights. Those who say it's casual are just haters since the game is so mainstream now. I'm not even going to bother voting because it's obviously a land slide vote. And if it was that casual, my fiance would be able to play. And what's wrong with a linear game? Just because you don't get to make a choice, doesn't make it a terrible game.Sp4rtan_3
Im a hater because I think CoD is a casual series ?

Considering all the bashing the series gets around system wars, it seemed like it. My fault, I'm sorry. But you could at least argue one of the points I made, such as how linear the game is.
Androvinus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#42 Androvinus
Member since 2008 • 5796 Posts
its for both
PatchMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 PatchMaster
Member since 2003 • 6013 Posts

Yes.But keep in mind thatcasual games appeal to casual and core gamers while core games only appeal to core gamers.

N30F3N1X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 N30F3N1X

No it is not. Just because it's easy to play for you guys doesn't mean it's easy for casuals. They tend to have lack of coordination when dealing with controllers and I've seen this plenty of times to know it isn't as casual as people think it is. Games like Duck Hunt and Time Crisis I'd say is more casual than CoDYuriSH

It's easy to play for my CLASSMATES. People who has never, ever, touched a game, and only tried it with my laptop at school.

If you really believe it's not casual, then you should check how in touch with reality you are.

iammason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 iammason

[QUOTE="YuriSH"]No it is not. Just because it's easy to play for you guys doesn't mean it's easy for casuals. They tend to have lack of coordination when dealing with controllers and I've seen this plenty of times to know it isn't as casual as people think it is. Games like Duck Hunt and Time Crisis I'd say is more casual than CoDN30F3N1X

It's easy to play for my CLASSMATES. People who has never, ever, touched a game, and only tried it with my laptop at school.

If you really believe it's not casual, then you should check how in touch with reality you are.

Play some Hardcore modes in any CoD game. That is pretty darn hardcore if you ask me.
N30F3N1X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 N30F3N1X

Play some Hardcore modes in any CoD game. That is pretty darn hardcore if you ask me.iammason

I *only* play hardcore in CoD4...didn't bother with WaW and MW2.

Androvinus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Androvinus
Member since 2008 • 5796 Posts

[QUOTE="YuriSH"]No it is not. Just because it's easy to play for you guys doesn't mean it's easy for casuals. They tend to have lack of coordination when dealing with controllers and I've seen this plenty of times to know it isn't as casual as people think it is. Games like Duck Hunt and Time Crisis I'd say is more casual than CoDN30F3N1X

you are playing on pc. its extremely easy to play a shooter with mouse and keyboard.
iammason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 iammason

[QUOTE="iammason"]Play some Hardcore modes in any CoD game. That is pretty darn hardcore if you ask me.N30F3N1X

I *only* play hardcore in CoD4...didn't bother with WaW and MW2.

Hmph... than you should know better.
DraugenCP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 DraugenCP

Call of Duty is fairly hard core in it's own rights. Those who say it's casual are just haters since the game is so mainstream now. I'm not even going to bother voting because it's obviously a land slide vote. And if it was that casual, my fiance would be able to play. And what's wrong with a linear game? Just because you don't get to make a choice, doesn't make it a terrible game.iammason

About the linearity. That doesn't indicate a game being casual in itself, but the hand holding way in which CoD does it is. Moreover, there's a big difference between linear games that subtlely push you in the right direction (Half-Life 2) and games that violently push you into the only right path as every alternative route is blocked off by machine gun turrets and even invisible walls.

Also, I don't think 'casual' necessarily means that anyone can play it. It depends entirely on your definition, but I usually see casual gamers as people who don't spend a lot of time gaming, and only stick to familiar blockbuster titles such as Halo, GTA, and indeed CoD. I'd classify people who usually never even go near video games as non-gamers.

DraugenCP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 DraugenCP

Play some Hardcore modes in any CoD game. That is pretty darn hardcore if you ask me.iammason

'Hardcore' and 'hard' are not the same thing.