Is Call of Duty a series for casual gamers?

• 157 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

alfredooo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101 alfredooo
Member since 2007 • 2664 Posts

[QUOTE="Ravensmash"][QUOTE="Gamtrix"]Yes it is. And I've played plenty of Halo, I know the call outs for narrows for exampel, R1, L1, R2, L2 top mid etc lol. Halo fans are way to defensive, I'm not even bashing Halo, it's just beyond ridiculous that you guys think Cod is casual and Halo isn't. That's just ansurd reasoning. Gamtrix

COD is more 'casual' than Halo. I hate the terms anyway, but when it comes to games - I play COD when I'm in the mood for some easy/fast paced run and gun, and Halo when I'm feeling competitive.

That's YOU! Halo has TONS of "fun" uncompetitive playlists, and Cod has competitive playlists like barebones or hardcore, or search and destroy. I'm sorry but Halo fans are the most stubborn fanbase around. Halo is just as casual if not more then Cod. Anyone who says otherwise is being biased. It has nothing to do with being good or bad, it has nothing to do with being competitive or fun.

they are stubborn because you haven't given us a GT to show you have actually played it.

just give us your GT and I think we will all respect your opinion. :D

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#102 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29827 Posts
[QUOTE="chaplainDMK"][QUOTE="Gamtrix"] What no. If it was easy to master, it would be easy to master for everyone thus making it hard to master. To call Cod casual and Halo hardcore is absurd. Halo is a much more simple straight forward game. Cod is way more "complex" then Halo is. And don't even try to say "competitive Halo" theres competitive Cod too. Gamtrix
Halo easier the Call of Duty? yeah right... Call of Duty has zero recoil, evreybody dies in two to three shots, you move like you're superman etc. In Halo you actualy have to aim and use tactics to kill someone, it aint just about who saw who first.

Wth? But in cod to be good your KD ratio isn't going to be the same as Halo... You have no clue here really. Halo is much more simple game, the mechanics are MUCH easier, and it's even designed from an artstyle for a more causal wider audience. Halo has no recoil either...

because you've played a lot of halo 3, right? what's your gamertag?
Gamtrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103 Gamtrix
Member since 2010 • 804 Posts

Made a thread it got locked.

Ok, this is by far the most biased board I have ever been on when it comes to Halo. The games are treated as a Religion. You can't bash it or your trolling, you can't compare a game to it or it's insulting Halo. If someone makes a X game vs Halo and you pick X game your a fakeboy or a fanboy.

Theres a thread on the first page asking if Cod is casual. I can understand people saying yes or no, I personally said yes. What I can't understand is how someone can say, Cod is casual but Halo isn't. They both have competitive playlists, MLG, Barebones, Hardcore, Search and Destroy. They both have mass casual appeal, Halo has it even more do to the art style, I'm pretty sure Cod has a higher "rating" making it appeal to a more restrict fanbase, May be wrong didn't confirm this.

Halo is a more simple game from the game mechanics pov, Cod is a bit more complex there, prone, aim down the sights, weapons customization, perks and killstreaks. So they both have fun playlists(Halo dominates here, much more social and casual playlists) and they both have competitive playlists(Cod dominates here, there really aren't any "Fun casual" playlists in cod).

In terms of art style Halo is more casual, it appeals to a wider audience. The numbers say both are casual, the hardcore say neither are casual. Halo fans say Cod is casual and Halo isn't.

Now I know this is a very pro Halo anti Cod board, so I already know what your all going to answer, but who knows maybe someone will actaully start a decent discussion, or at least try to prove me wrong in a reasonable fashion.

I would like to see a reasonable arguement as to why Cod is casual and Halo isn't. Anyone?

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104 clone01
[QUOTE="Gamtrix"]

Ok, this is by far the most biased board I have ever been on when it comes to Halo. The games are treated as a Religion. You can't bash it or your trolling, you can't compare a game to it or it's insulting Halo. If someone makes a X game vs Halo and you pick X game your a fakeboy or a fanboy.

Theres a thread on the first page asking if Cod is casual. I can understand people saying yes or no, I personally said yes. What I can't understand is how someone can say, Cod is casual but Halo isn't. They both have competitive playlists, MLG, Barebones, Hardcore, Search and Destroy. They both have mass casual appeal, Halo has it even more do to the art style, I'm pretty sure Cod has a higher "rating" making it appeal to a more restrict fanbase, May be wrong didn't confirm this.

Halo is a more simple game from the game mechanics pov, Cod is a bit more complex there, prone, aim down the sights, weapons customization, perks and killstreaks. So they both have fun playlists(Halo dominates here, much more social and casual playlists) and they both have competitive playlists(Cod dominates here, there really aren't any "Fun casual" playlists in cod).

In terms of art style Halo is more casual, it appeals to a wider audience. The numbers say both are casual, the hardcore say neither are casual. Halo fans say Cod is casual and Halo isn't.

Now I know this is a very pro Halo anti Cod board, so I already know what your all going to answer, but who knows maybe someone will actaully start a decent discussion, or at least try to prove me wrong in a reasonable fashion.

I would like to see a reasonable arguement as to why Cod is casual and Halo isn't. Anyone?

still waiting on that gamertag, Gamtrix.
Ravensmash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105 Ravensmash
Member since 2010 • 13862 Posts

Gamtrix
There is nothing complex about aiming down the sights, or weapons customisation.... Using your logic as to why Halo is casual, you could claim Quake is too....
Gamtrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106 Gamtrix
[QUOTE="Gamtrix"]

Ravensmash
There is nothing complex about aiming down the sights, or weapons customisation.... Using your logic as to why Halo is casual, you could claim Quake is too....

I'm just asking for a reason why Cod is casual and Halo isn't. I provided proof as to why if one is so is the other.
aequitas31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107 aequitas31
Member since 2008 • 96 Posts

any shooter with health regeneration is casual

Gamtrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 Gamtrix

aequitas31
I pretty much agree with this, I can't think of any shooter this generation that has health regen and isn't casual. Carefull though, Halo fans are coming to eat you alive.
clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 clone01
[QUOTE="Gamtrix"][QUOTE="aequitas31"]

I pretty much agree with this, I can't think of any shooter this generation that has health regen and isn't casual. Carefull though, Halo fans are coming to eat you alive.

no, not really. its just that all of us have actually played halo.
Ravensmash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 Ravensmash
[QUOTE="aequitas31"]

Gamtrix

Don't worry, Halo Reach has gone back to the originals hybrid style :P
alfredooo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 alfredooo

Gamtrix

- In CoD you don't need to get headshots to get kills. In Halo they are a must if you are playing at a decent level. Headshots are harder than bodyshots, you have to agree with that.

-More bullets to kills. If a noob starts shooting a pro from behind in CoD, he will get the kill. No matter how much the skill difference is. In Halo the pro can easily turn around and kill the less experienced player.

-Fair to everyone? You can't spawn with better guns than others. Its an even fighting ground. This wouldn't be a problem if the guns were balanced (noobtube? lmao)

aequitas31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 aequitas31

[QUOTE="aequitas31"]

Gamtrix

yeah probly. But how can any game where you can get shot and then run and hide and have your health recover be anything other than casual

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 clone01
[QUOTE="aequitas31"]

[QUOTE="Gamtrix"][QUOTE="aequitas31"]

yeah probly. But how can any game where you can get shot and then run and hide and have your health recover be anything other than casual

you mean like dark sector :P ...i kid, i kid. casual or not, i like regenerating health. i think a lot of it depends on the game. left 4 dead, for example, would have been ruined if it had regenerating health.
chaplainDMK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 chaplainDMK
Member since 2008 • 7004 Posts

Gamtrix
Because in Call of Duty evreybody wins... Aiming is easy, people die instantly, you get awarded for failing etc. In Halo people die very slowly, many weapons ain't guns (they don't fire a fast bullet, most plasma weapons are relatively slow), evreyone starts with the same load out in most games and have to pick up weapons etc.
SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#115 SaltyMeatballs
Member since 2009 • 25165 Posts

Yeah, COD is casual. That doesn't matter though, what matters is skill. A game can only be as "hardcore" as the players.

And since Halo is being talked about a lot here, I think both are casual, but I will say Halo rewards skill more than COD, for the reasons alfredooo gave:

"- In CoD you don't need to get headshots to get kills. In Halo they are a must if you are playing at a decent level. Headshots are harder than bodyshots, you have to agree with that.

-More bullets to kills. If a noob starts shooting a pro from behind in CoD, he will get the kill. No matter how much the skill difference is. In Halo the pro can easily turn around and kill the less experienced player.

-Fair to everyone? You can't spawn with better guns than others. Its an even fighting ground. This wouldn't be a problem if the guns were balanced (noobtube? lmao)"

That more or less sums up my thoughts on this. Both can have hardcore players, but COD caters more towards noobs. Halo rewards skill better.

Ravensmash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 Ravensmash
[QUOTE="aequitas31"]

[QUOTE="Gamtrix"] I pretty much agree with this, I can't think of any shooter this generation that has health regen and isn't casual. Carefull though, Halo fans are coming to eat you alive.clone01

you mean like dark sector :P ...i kid, i kid. casual or not, i like regenerating health. i think a lot of it depends on the game. left 4 dead, for example, would have been ruined if it had regenerating health.

Metro 2033....playing through that atm on the 360... You sometimes need to heal with a medikit, but other times your health will regenerate. I doubt Gamtrix can call that a casual game.
alfredooo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 alfredooo

[QUOTE="aequitas31"]

Gamtrix

Everyone is going after you because they think you haven't actually played halo. Prove them wrong by just showing us your GT. :D

We are all waiting. If you don't show one, you lost by default.:P

aequitas31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 aequitas31

[QUOTE="aequitas31"]

[QUOTE="Gamtrix"] I pretty much agree with this, I can't think of any shooter this generation that has health regen and isn't casual. Carefull though, Halo fans are coming to eat you alive.clone01

i dont play dark sector online though. the online game i play is socom. And they are considering health regen for socom 4 and if they do it i wont buy it

Gamtrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 Gamtrix
[QUOTE="aequitas31"]

I like Health regen too Clone. I wasn't bashing Cod or Halo, it's you Halo fans that are waaaaaay to defensive. It's like a religion for you guys.
clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 clone01
I like Health regen too Clone. I wasn't bashing Cod or Halo, it's you Halo fans that are waaaaaay to defensive. It's like a religion for you guys. Gamtrix
no, its not a religion to me. i'm a casual halo fan. and no, people are not being defensive. its just that we've actually played the halo franchise, so we know what we're talking about.
alfredooo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 alfredooo

Gamtrix hasn't played Halo

Ross_the_Boss6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 Ross_the_Boss6
Member since 2009 • 4056 Posts

[QUOTE="clone01"][QUOTE="aequitas31"]

Gamtrix

I like Health regen too Clone. I wasn't bashing Cod or Halo, it's you Halo fans that are waaaaaay to defensive. It's like a religion for you guys.

It's not nice to make fun of people's religion. I firmly believe in The Great Journey.

chaplainDMK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 chaplainDMK

[QUOTE="clone01"][QUOTE="aequitas31"]

Gamtrix

What health regen is the only excuse you could come up with for Halo? Health Regen doesen't make a game casual...
But rewarding failing, fast death, easy to use guns etc. do make a game casual...

chaplainDMK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 chaplainDMK

Gamtrix hasn't played Halo

alfredooo

We all know... He is a obvious PS3 fanboy, just go trough his threads. Evreytime he will bash XBox 360 and praise PS3. Funny thing is that he tries to make it seem like he isn't biased but he still fails bad...

Avatar image for themagicbum9720
themagicbum9720

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 themagicbum9720
Member since 2007 • 6536 Posts
i don't like any series anymore, but call of duty is more casual. the last good call of duty game is call of duty 2. you can just spam pistols from a distance and get a headshot kill, i've done it. in halo, at least in halo:ce for pc, it took me than that to kill.both games are easy, but call of duty is more casual.
Vader993

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 Vader993
Member since 2010 • 7533 Posts

lets see

very low recoil

low heath

very easy to play

Avatar image for deactivated-5c8e4e07d5510
deactivated-5c8e4e07d5510

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 deactivated-5c8e4e07d5510
Member since 2007 • 17401 Posts
Yes and no. xXSmokeDog420Xx wouldn't play nearly as well as a hardcore gamer, but it's still entirely playable. Accessible =/= casual.
FGMPR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 FGMPR
Member since 2009 • 804 Posts

I don't know what to call CoD. There's no way I could call it hardcore, but even with all it's hand-holding, invisible walls and regenerating health I couldn't place it in the same category as Wii Sports or Nintendogs or the like. The only thing I can call hardcore are games like Arma, X, various sims like DCS Blackshark, Silent Hunter, Paradox's strategy games etc, because if CoD and the like can be deemed HC, then what the hell do you call a player who's mastered Blackshark?

3rdbass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 3rdbass
Member since 2009 • 3301 Posts

It is because most people that play this game are addicted to just it and don't try other games. They like games were it is just mindless killing and not much thinking and patience needed.Call of Duty islike buying food at McDonald's when you could have goneto Ruth's Chris steak house as far as quality is concerned. SureRuth's Chriscost more but it is worth it though MCd's is fast and easy and has served 1 billion customers like the Call of Duty series has also. LOL.

Aural_Assault

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#130 Aural_Assault
Member since 2005 • 614 Posts

The series used to be for the hardcore crowd. However, Modern Warfare 2 has so many crippling flaws that only a casual gamer could overlook.

lespaul1919

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 lespaul1919
Member since 2003 • 7074 Posts

it's not casual as in.....people who only play rock band.....and only 4 times a year casual. but, it's casual in FPS terms. most of my friends play mw2. that's their online game of choice. once I got them to play some halo 1 and halo 2 with me. it only took 3 25-0 game before none of them would ever play halo with me again. just last saturday I asked one of them if he was getting reach. his response: "no way, I'll get destroyed".

that same day a general in BF2 thought he'd play halo PC with me and show off his "skills". first game 25-0, second 22-0 until he quit, also vowing to never play halo again. rofl.

"why do I unload tons of bullets into you and you never die, yet you kill me before I ever see you?"
"learn to shoot"

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#132 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

I liked older CODs a lot though...

lespaul1919

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 lespaul1919
Member since 2003 • 7074 Posts

cod 2 pc was and is a fine game.

CaptainHarley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#134 CaptainHarley
Member since 2004 • 2703 Posts

i am a casual gamer for all intents of purposes. i wouldnt say this is a good game for casuals like myself because playing the multiplayer is insanely frustrating, caters to people who have played for hours and hours with the stupid exp system, and getting killed by the patently silly killstreaks makes this game totally non-casual friendly.

if you mean single player, sure its alright, but then virtually all single player shooters are except like STALKER (which i did enjoy)

CANOFOWNAGE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#135 CANOFOWNAGE
Member since 2007 • 410 Posts

When COD began, yes it was less casual / took skill. As the game progressed, game design took a mass appeal approach. The gunplay for every weapon along with other game mechanics became simple and casual. Basically the only difference between a good anda bad playerin modern COD titles is situational awareness.

Anyone who thinks COD isn't casual has never played Counterstrike or Unreal. Halo also manages to not be as casual dueto the fact that you must get headshots with semi-auto weapons. In COD, every weapon is extremely powerful and recoil is nonexistent. Considering that body shots are effective enough, COD has basically taken all skill out of the gunplay.

HailCaesarHail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136 HailCaesarHail
Member since 2010 • 814 Posts

yes, no doubt about it. made strictly for the noob.

GeneralShowzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#137 GeneralShowzer
Member since 2010 • 11598 Posts
Almost every mainstream game nowadays is for casual gamers. Have you seen the level of hand-holding games today have? They are specifically tailored so people who never played a video game can pick them up right away, and never lose.
thom_maytees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138 thom_maytees
Member since 2010 • 3668 Posts
Why is this thread bumped?
DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26649 Posts

It is, but not as much as say Halo. Halo is by far the most casual of all the popular shooters. Games like Socom are made more for the hardcore.

Gamtrix
I don't believe it. I think Call of Duty is much more aimed at casuals than Halo is. Not saying that Halo isn't casual, because it very much so caters to casual audiences, just not as much as CoD.
Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#141 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21703 Posts

COD1, United Offense, and COD2 (PC of course) leaned towards the hardcore mold in my mind. COD4 and so on has been what I'd consider casual, and everything Treyarch has ever made has been not only casualized, but also mediocre consolized trash. Big Red One anyone?

chris_yz80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142 chris_yz80
Member since 2004 • 1219 Posts
No way, scrimming is so hardcore it aint funny
Demonjoe93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 107

#143 Demonjoe93
Member since 2009 • 9869 Posts

Yeah, it kinda is despite being a FPS.

MobilechicaneX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144 MobilechicaneX
Member since 2009 • 2863 Posts

Demonjoe93

Yes because all FPS's are casual. :roll:

Crazyguy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#145 Crazyguy105
Member since 2009 • 9513 Posts

I'd say so. It's certainly advertised like that.

UCF_Knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146 UCF_Knight
Member since 2010 • 6863 Posts

[QUOTE="Demonjoe93"]

MobilechicaneX

If anything he implies FPS games usually aren't casual..
Demonjoe93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 107

#147 Demonjoe93
Member since 2009 • 9869 Posts

[QUOTE="Demonjoe93"]

MobilechicaneX

How did I at all imply that?

Avatar image for carljohnson3456
carljohnson3456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#148 carljohnson3456
Member since 2007 • 12489 Posts
I'd say yes and no. It's certainly easy to jump into, but also can be challenging in other aspects (veteran difficulties, consistently dominating in MP, etc). So... there's my answer.
JuarN18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149 JuarN18
Member since 2007 • 4981 Posts

COD1, United Offense, and COD2 (PC of course) leaned towards the hardcore mold in my mind. COD4 and so on has been what I'd consider casual, and everything Treyarch has ever made has been not only casualized, but also mediocre consolized trash. Big Red One anyone?

Renegade_Fury

what's the big difference between those call of duty and the newer ones? health packs? in those games the AI is dumb and the level design is even more linear

MathMattS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

#150 MathMattS
Member since 2009 • 4012 Posts

Call of Duty can be complex, so I don't know if it's as much for the casual gamer. But it can be good for casual, too. I have a friend who's a casual gamer and he doesn't like Call of Duty.