How exactly is Xbox Live better than PSN?

• 188 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Bioshockraptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

User Lists: 0

#1 Bioshockraptor
Member since 2008 • 21483 Posts

I'd really like to know this. Everyone that I have heard that have said Xbox Live is superior have only gave the reason that since Microsoft have more money they can put more effort into it, or a variation of that. All of those people who have said that don't use PSN, so I don't know how they'd know. Are they biased, or is that the truth?

I'm pretty much just asking how it's better? Whenever I play PSN I don't get lag, I don't have connection issues, I can get into a match easy... I don't find any flaw in it to be honest. :?

P.S. I don't have a 360, or Xbox Live, and I don't want to have a one sided view, I just want to know if it's really that much better.

tutt3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 tutt3r
Member since 2005 • 2865 Posts

level 1 20000 posts that is impressive

Mestitia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Mestitia
Member since 2010 • 922 Posts

It's not better, not for playing games online. It has party chat and that's pretty much it. PSN on the other hand tends to use dedicated servers for the more popular games that Sony's makes or publishes. Really it isn't better. Party chat isn't even a plus for me, it's a negative, lots of games on live are silent because people are in party chat. And the idea that on Live everyone uses mics is one big lie.

Grawse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 Grawse
Member since 2010 • 4342 Posts

I doubt you will get a strong answer not including party chat in it. I've bought Xbox Live for 3 years now and I'm still not playing on dedicated servers for it's top exclusives. Where on my PS3 I bought last November I can play a handful of it's exclusives on dedicated servers and it doesn't cost me a penny.

Vesica_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Vesica_Prime
Member since 2009 • 7062 Posts

tutt3r

It's a glitch on Gamespot's part.

tutt3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 tutt3r
Member since 2005 • 2865 Posts

[QUOTE="tutt3r"]

Vesica_Prime

It's a glitch on Gamespot's part.

or somehow he actually has that many posts and is that level lol

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

TC : That Level 1 with 20,070+ posts is one of the coolest things I've seen, if you can, I would try to keep that. It's awesome.

To answer your question, Cross game VOICE chat is pretty much the big dealio. There is a small amount of differences, but that's pretty much the big deal for most gamers, honestly.

Sword-Demon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Sword-Demon
Member since 2008 • 7007 Posts

it has more features and since everyone has a headset, it's more alive than psn (whether that's a good thing or a bad thing depends on who you're playing with), and it gets better download speeds.

but as for anything actually gameplay related, there's no real difference

glenn2709

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 glenn2709
Member since 2005 • 1719 Posts

You need pay for Xbox live so that automatically makes it better than PSN. :P

Avatar image for Vinegar_Strokes
Vinegar_Strokes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Vinegar_Strokes
Member since 2010 • 3401 Posts

if you really cared surely you would go do you own research or just take a look at the 456,987 other threads that have covered this very worn out topic. bottom line is if you play online with a group of friends than live is better, it offers more features to communicate with the group. but if all you like to do is just play by yourself then live really has noting that would justify the cost. if i did not have 20+ xbox owning friends and colleges that i play against i would not bother.

XileLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#11 XileLord
Member since 2007 • 3776 Posts

It's just easier to navigate through and put together in a better way. The way your friends list, achievements, messages, gamecard and avatar all come together is great. I find with PSN that syncing trophies, messages and just the limited options for your online profile really drag the online service down. Xbox live also has some additional features like group party chat and party chat when your friend is playing lets say MW2 and you're playing RDR.

Xbox live just offers more customization and a smoother way of doing things. In terms of ACTUAL online play when you're playing games I haven't noticed any difference.

elcoholic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 elcoholic
Member since 2005 • 1197 Posts

it has more features and since everyone has a headset, it's more alive than psn (whether that's a good thing or a bad thing depends on who you're playing with), and it gets better download speeds.

Sword-Demon

For me, the partychat is also a negative since lots of games are silent. Like forza 3 which I mostly play almost noone is talking in the public lobbies.

Its definetly not noticably more alive. If there's a 150.000 people playing cod on live there's a 100.000 on psn. There are more playing on live yes, but with those numbers it won't make it any harder to find a game.

Anyway, i'm ditching my live subscription after it runs out in a few months and consequently will buy all my online games for ps3. That should say how I feel the difference stacks up.I do hope I can finnalyfind the option to remove my cc details from live cause they have sure hidden that very well.

G-O-M-J

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 G-O-M-J
Member since 2009 • 1520 Posts
If you play both you will notice the difference, psn pales in comparison to live.
elcoholic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 elcoholic

If you play both you will notice the difference, psn pales in comparison to live.G-O-M-J

Well, that settles it. There's no way arround those arguments. :roll:

Kaim91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Kaim91
Member since 2010 • 967 Posts

If you play both you will notice the difference, psn pales in comparison to live.G-O-M-J

Arguments or it didn't happen

-Snooze-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 -Snooze-
Member since 2009 • 7304 Posts

The Intergration!

It'sso obvious PSN was an afterthought tacked on at the last minute. Xbox Live however is fully intergrated into everything you do, it's much smoother and faster then PSN, and has several free Gold features to take advantage of(If that's your thing)

Not to mention it doesn't take 3 hours to download a 1GB demo, and then install it on Xbox Live

tommyas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 tommyas
Member since 2007 • 2594 Posts
[QUOTE="-Snooze-"]

The Intergration!

It'sso obvious PSN was an afterthought tacked on at the last minute. Xbox Live however is fully intergrated into everything you do, it's much smoother and faster then PSN, and has several free Gold features to take advantage of(If that's your thing)

Not to mention it doesn't take 3 hours to download a 1GB demo, and then install it on Xbox Live

"afterthought tacked on at the last minute"? I doubt that. Psn is working well. I gwt disconnected like once a month maybe. I can download and install an 1gb demo in about half an hour. Installation itself takes about three or four, maybe five minutes which is ok. And i am downloading off psn at maximum download speed i can have, which is about 3 MB per second... Maybe Live is a bit smoother but that doesnt compensate the price tag imo. Plus biggest ps3 exclusives have dedicated servers )even older games, Warhawk for example from 2007). And its all free and always will be.
KillerWabbit23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#18 KillerWabbit23
Member since 2009 • 3466 Posts

PSN works fine for me, there's no lag, crashes, etc. The download speed is fine. What I hear people saying, however, is that XBLA has a better interface. Basically, a smoother, more integrated, more colorful version of the XMB. Plus, the marketplace is integrated right in.

For me, I'm still not buying a 360 until there's more than 5 exclusives that aren't rated M. :P

killB_O_T

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 killB_O_T
Member since 2008 • 246 Posts

It's not better, not for playing games online. It has party chat and that's pretty much it. PSN on the other hand tends to use dedicated servers for the more popular games that Sony's makes or publishes. Really it isn't better. Party chat isn't even a plus for me, it's a negative, lots of games on live are silent because people are in party chat. And the idea that on Live everyone uses mics is one big lie.

Mestitia
This is the reason that party chat is great, i really don't want to hear a 12 year old screaming down the mic because he is crap at that game.
iowastate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#20 iowastate
Member since 2004 • 7922 Posts

The Intergration!

-Snooze-
it is obvious to me that the preference of Live or PSN is personal opinion. some people like one some people like the other. there are many who say PSN is better and many who say Live is better. over all it seems to me that it is pretty much a tossup and you go with the one you like best personally. If you wan to play the 360 or if you want to play the PS3 or if you want to play your PC you have something available for each. That is right....don't forget this is System Wars not Console Wars. I never forget that the argument is NOT limited to only PS3 and 360 because both of them are well behind the PC when it comes to both exclusives and multiplats.
readingfc_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 readingfc_1
Member since 2004 • 2548 Posts

TC : That Level 1 with 20,070+ posts is one of the coolest things I've seen, if you can, I would try to keep that. It's awesome.

To answer your question, Cross game VOICE chat is pretty much the big dealio. There is a small amount of differences, but that's pretty much the big deal for most gamers, honestly.

SolidTy

This and Cross game invites and Party invites.

Rahnyc4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Rahnyc4
Member since 2005 • 6660 Posts
coming from someone who had xbox live and now psn, i have to say that steam is better :)
LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#23 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

It's not.

People think it is because they paid for it.

Fizzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#24 Fizzman
Member since 2003 • 9895 Posts

Its a much more streamlined and more pleasant user experience. It has alot of features such as Last FM, Netflix which Sony does have but doesnt do it nearly as well as XBL. Everyone has a Mic and also party chat.

VoodooHak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 VoodooHak
Member since 2002 • 15989 Posts

[QUOTE="-Snooze-"]

The Intergration!

tommyas

"afterthought tacked on at the last minute"? I doubt that. Psn is working well. I gwt disconnected like once a month maybe. I can download and install an 1gb demo in about half an hour. Installation itself takes about three or four, maybe five minutes which is ok. And i am downloading off psn at maximum download speed i can have, which is about 3 MB per second... Maybe Live is a bit smoother but that doesnt compensate the price tag imo. Plus biggest ps3 exclusives have dedicated servers )even older games, Warhawk for example from 2007). And its all free and always will be.

Try to find a community event. It's right there in the Community section on Xbox Live. Want to form a party? On PSN, you have to fire up Home, a whole separate app. Community managers? They are active and vocal on XBL, and you can put a name to them. MS has famly oriented initiatives like their PlaySmart campaign. They're always working with special interest groups to address issues that always come up in a social setting like online gaming. Cross-game invites are at the OS level for the 360 and apply to ALL games. PSN's implementation is less consistent. Just take a look at how the websites are set up. Why do I need to log into Playstation.com twice? Once for the site, another time to access your PSN content/friends list/trophies, but no messaging.

Sure seems tacked on to me.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 LegatoSkyheart

Try to find a community event. It's right there in the Community section on Xbox Live. Want to form a party? On PSN, you have to fire up Home, a whole separate app. Community managers? They are active and vocal on XBL, and you can put a name to them. MS has famly oriented initiatives like their PlaySmart campaign. They're always working with special interest groups to address issues that always come up in a social setting like online gaming. Cross-game invites are at the OS level for the 360 and apply to ALL games. PSN's implementation is less consistent. Just take a look at how the websites are set up. Why do I need to log into Playstation.com twice? Once for the site, another time to access your PSN content/friends list/trophies, but no messaging.

VoodooHak

But Xbox Live doesn't have Playstation Home which is a freakin' Community.

hellhund

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 hellhund
Member since 2003 • 1984 Posts

You get the honor of paying Microsoft to play games online. And you get to listen to l33t haxxors pwn noobs in MW2 while you race in Burnout.

Mestitia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Mestitia
Member since 2010 • 922 Posts

You get the honor of paying Microsoft to play games online. And you get to listen to l33t haxxors pwn noobs in MW2 while you race in Burnout.

hellhund
Win post :P
VoodooHak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 VoodooHak

[QUOTE="VoodooHak"]

LegatoSkyheart

Home is a whole separate app. Community exists on XBL as soon as you log on.

VoodooHak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 VoodooHak

hellhund

...because PSN users are absolute gentlement, right? Puh-leez. There's just as much of that going on in any online environment.

Welcome to the internet. You must be new to it.

hellhund

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 hellhund
Member since 2003 • 1984 Posts

[QUOTE="hellhund"]

VoodooHak

...because PSN users are absolute gentlement, right? Puh-leez. There's just as much of that going on in any online environment.

lol, no, but I don't have to hear someone playing a different game. Hell, I'm happy if I don't hear anyone playing the same game I am.
Doolz2024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#32 Doolz2024
Member since 2007 • 9623 Posts

All of those people who have said that don't use PSNBioshockraptor
I use both, and XBL >>>> PSN in my experience. PSN isn't as bad as some people say though

elcoholic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 elcoholic

Its better, just not worth paying for if you have psn. Once in a game there's no difference except psn has some games running on dedicated servers. If it was free there would be no contest. But its not.

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29825 Posts
[QUOTE="Bioshockraptor"]

I'd really like to know this. Everyone that I have heard that have said Xbox Live is superior have only gave the reason that since Microsoft have more money they can put more effort into it, or a variation of that. All of those people who have said that don't use PSN, so I don't know how they'd know. Are they biased, or is that the truth?

I'm pretty much just asking how it's better? Whenever I play PSN I don't get lag, I don't have connection issues, I can get into a match easy... I don't find any flaw in it to be honest. :?

P.S. I don't have a 360, or Xbox Live, and I don't want to have a one sided view, I just want to know if it's really that much better.

i like the interface a little better, but that's just opinion. it has party chat, which i also enjoy. but psn is free, and does a perfectly good job.
legolas95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#35 legolas95
Member since 2008 • 5610 Posts

Xbox LIVE feel more "together" I gues you could say than PSN does. Everything can be accessed faster, and there's party chat. But really, since you have to pay for it I would say PSN is better, even though I think LIVE is a more complete experiance. They both have about the same on the server part, except I have alot less problems with disconnections on PSN. They both have about the same lag. One thing, I've always found that there is more stuff on LIVE, be it movies, tv shows, or demos. payments aside, I'd LIVE would be a tad better because of the exellent service though. With the payments included, there even imo.

I have both btw.

scorch-62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 scorch-62
Member since 2006 • 29763 Posts
I don't have a PS3, so I really can't say.
BioDogshock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 BioDogshock
Member since 2010 • 550 Posts

Last night i just stayed up till 3 talking to my friends

They played red dead i played batman arkham

To me IMO thats why xbox live beats psn.

bryn8150

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 bryn8150
Member since 2004 • 795 Posts

get an xbox 360, then purchace a PS3. compaire Live to PSN apples to oranges and you will know the truth ALMOST IMMEDIATELY.

until then you are just waisting everybodys time TC.

VoodooHak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 VoodooHak

[QUOTE="VoodooHak"]

[QUOTE="hellhund"]

hellhund

lol, no, but I don't have to hear someone playing a different game. Hell, I'm happy if I don't hear anyone playing the same game I am.

Don't join a party. Or take off your headset altogether. Problem solved.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 LegatoSkyheart

[QUOTE="LegatoSkyheart"]

[QUOTE="VoodooHak"]

VoodooHak

not when I first entered Xbox Live. I had to find my friends.

NielsNL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 NielsNL
Member since 2005 • 4346 Posts

The people who only own a 360 always claim there is much more content on XBL. In reality it's quite even. Just go to GS's game search functionality and sort the high rated XBL and PSN games. Looking at that list tells XBL has a slight edge there in number, whereas (but that's opinion) PSN does in quality titles (at least those that appeal to me). Besides, many of the high quality downloadable titles are available to both.

VoodooHak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 VoodooHak

[QUOTE="VoodooHak"]

[QUOTE="LegatoSkyheart"]

LegatoSkyheart

not when I first entered Xbox Live. I had to find my friends.

Same with Home. Except that you have to launch Home first, then hope your friends are in Home also. On XBL, everyone's already accessble for parties and game launching. Nothing extra to launch.

dpgunit_3087

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 dpgunit_3087
Member since 2004 • 830 Posts

Shouldn't you be able to tell whether your friends are on Home by looking at your friends list and seeing whether they're on it from there? Why would you have to hope they're on when launching it?

VoodooHak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 VoodooHak

Shouldn't you be able to tell whether your friends are on Home by looking at your friends list and seeing whether they're on it from there? Why would you have to hope they're on when launching it?

dpgunit_3087

Let's say you want to part up and launch into a game.

The simple fact that you have to check of everyone you want is in Home is a few extra steps already, depending on how many friends you want to party up with. It's a level of micromanagement that isn't needed on Xbox Live. It's not even a second thought.

Just send out invites from where ever you are....on the dash, listening to music, playing a game, watching a movie... doesn't matter.

dpgunit_3087

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 dpgunit_3087

I play more single player games than multiplayer, and don't party up that much, so I'm not sure if I know everything...but if you wanted to party up and play a game, couldn't you and your friends just start the game and party up from there? It's not like you can only do it through Home.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 LegatoSkyheart

Same with Home. Except that you have to launch Home first, then hope your friends are in Home also. On XBL, everyone's already accessble for parties and game launching. Nothing extra to launch.

VoodooHak

you obviously don't know what I'm talking about. When I meant by "Searching", I meant I had to go on like Facebook or you know find them in real life and tell them I have an Xbox 360.

that sort of thing.

You're obviously dogging on PSHome and to be honest It's a niffty MMO. You can hang with your friends on their and launch games on their too and even meet someone new. It's a nifty feature for the PS3 which the 360 does not have.

Heck I won't even be surprised if they even had some sort of special event for E3.

dpgunit_3087

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 dpgunit_3087

[QUOTE="VoodooHak"]

LegatoSkyheart

you obviously don't know what I'm talking about. When I meant by "Searching", I meant I had to go on like Facebook or you know find them in real life and tell them I have an Xbox 360.

that sort of thing.

You're obviously dogging on PSHome and to be honest It's a niffty MMO. You can hang with your friends on their and launch games on their too and even meet someone new. It's a nifty feature for the PS3 which the 360 does not have.

Heck I won't even be surprised if they even had some sort of special event for E3.

It would be great if they have a special event for E3. I wasn't on last year so I'm not sure if they did something like this, but it would be awesome if they had their E3 conference showing live in the theatres. Being in there, seeing something awesome be announced, and watching everybody's reaction would be awesome. It would really help build up excitement in my opinion.

VoodooHak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 VoodooHak

[QUOTE="VoodooHak"]

LegatoSkyheart

that sort of thing.

It's something that the 360 really doesn't need because it accomplishes parties, game launching, special video and events right from the dash. No need to launch a separate app to accomplish similar things. The only significant difference is the 3D environment.

I can appreciate that you like it. I just don't find it compelling enough to count as a plus for PSN. Even the Home dev acknowledges that most people don't like it.

Avatar image for SCREAMIN_MANTIS
SCREAMIN_MANTIS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 SCREAMIN_MANTIS
Member since 2008 • 273 Posts

[QUOTE="VoodooHak"]

LegatoSkyheart

that sort of thing.

sorry to burst your bubble, but home's pretty rubbish
omho88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 omho88
Member since 2007 • 3967 Posts

50$ isn't much, but for voice chat only .... it's not worth it .... but the placebo effect is satistfaying enough.