How can anyone play shooters on a controller?

• 181 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#151 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts
[QUOTE="menes777"]

[QUOTE="Ravensmash"] Oh finally, someone who agrees with me about the keyboard. Fine for some genres, but absolutely unintuitive for others. Want smooth movement in an FPS....lol no Ravensmash

You must try to move with the arrow keys or something. Try a MS natural keyboard and use the WASD configuration. It's really smooth and it's easy. I prefer a controller for any games involving driving, but GTA is playable with a keyboard.

I do use WASD for movement, doesn't stop the fact that it's ultimately more jerky than analogue movement.

I think your sig needs Valve, id, Infinity Ward, and o yeah they bringing the Witcher as well :P
menes777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#152 menes777
Member since 2003 • 2643 Posts

[QUOTE="menes777"]

[QUOTE="Ravensmash"] Oh finally, someone who agrees with me about the keyboard. Fine for some genres, but absolutely unintuitive for others. Want smooth movement in an FPS....lol no Ravensmash

You must try to move with the arrow keys or something. Try a MS natural keyboard and use the WASD configuration. It's really smooth and it's easy. I prefer a controller for any games involving driving, but GTA is playable with a keyboard.

I do use WASD for movement, doesn't stop the fact that it's ultimately more jerky than analogue movement.

Never had it jerky for me unless the game was lagging. Do you have an older computer or something? Using a controller is smooth, using a keyboard is smooth. I use to love playing Goldeneye and got really good with a controller. But moved to the PC, starting keyboard was a little rough but now that's the only thing I can play. I am sure if I switched exclusively to controller I would pick it up again but right now m/kb are the best.

Pug-Nasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#153 Pug-Nasty
Member since 2009 • 8508 Posts

[QUOTE="menes777"]

Same, and truth.

racing1750

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#154 racing1750
Member since 2010 • 14567 Posts
Easy peasy really.
cain006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#155 cain006
Member since 2008 • 8625 Posts

I do use WASD for movement, doesn't stop the fact that it's ultimately more jerky than analogue movement.Ravensmash

metal_zombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#156 metal_zombie
Member since 2004 • 2288 Posts

[QUOTE="Ravensmash"]I do use WASD for movement, doesn't stop the fact that it's ultimately more jerky than analogue movement.cain006

link please

cain006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157 cain006

link please

metal_zombie

http://store.razerzone.com/store/razerusa/en_US/pd/productID.221675100

There you go. And I thought that these controllers were more well known. They're kind of pricey, but the option is still there.

lowe0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#158 lowe0
Member since 2004 • 13692 Posts

[QUOTE="Ravensmash"]I do use WASD for movement, doesn't stop the fact that it's ultimately more jerky than analogue movement.cain006

(picture of a ****** Nostromo)

The Nostromo doesn't do analog, though; it's just a d-pad that can emulate a keypress. You'd need a Logitech G13 for that. And the drivers for the G13 are horrible (I broke down, pulled all my Logitech peripherals, and bought a Razer Nostromo/BlackWidow/Imperator right around when Logitech's drivers started crashing on boot).

Ross_the_Boss6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159 Ross_the_Boss6
Member since 2009 • 4056 Posts

Fortunately, everyone will be similarly handicapped in multiplayer

I would love it if mouse and keyboard become officially supported ways of controlling input in console games

The_Capitalist

Well you can't have both.

I think it's quite easy. The hardest part is finding where I left it.

metal_zombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160 metal_zombie
Member since 2004 • 2288 Posts

[QUOTE="metal_zombie"]link please

cain006

There you go. And I thought that these controllers were more well known. They're kind of pricey, but the option is still there.

tried of using my keyboard this seem like its better thanks :)

Eggimannd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161 Eggimannd
Member since 2009 • 1734 Posts

[QUOTE="menes777"]

Right... That's EXACTLY like me saying "I use analog to aim, doesn't change that fact that it's ultimately more jerky than KB/M"

The_Game21x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#162 The_Game21x
Member since 2005 • 26440 Posts

Simple. I turn on my console, pick up my controller, insert the disc of the shooter I want to play and select it from the dashboard.

That's how it's always worked for me, anyway...

Anterline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#163 Anterline
Member since 2011 • 161 Posts
It depends. If you have been primarily a console gamer, you will find it hard to accustom to computer controls. If you have been primarily a PC gamer, you will find it hard to accustom to console controls.
Warriorboy1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#164 Warriorboy1990
Member since 2008 • 3813 Posts

I am getting BF3 next week on the PS3 (and the PC), but I will be mostly playing the PS3 version until my PC is fixed. I've never played an FPS game on a console, but I have tried FPS demos on consoles at Best Buy and Target.

Analog sticks are an imprecise and sloppy way of controlling crossairs in a game. Coming from a mouse and keyboard, how can anyone deal with this level of imprecision? Fortunately, everyone will be similarly handicapped in multiplayer, so hopefully it won't be too bad.

This is my biggest gripe about console gaming, and I would love it if mouse and keyboard become officially supported ways of controlling input in console games, but I doubt Sony or Microsoft would allow that.

But oh well. I will be playing BF3 on PS3 until Ivy Bridge launches next year so that I can replace this busted motherboard and sell the CPU/RAM. So I will just to deal with it...

The_Capitalist
Aim assist LOL
Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#165 Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5905 Posts

Unless you have absolutely god-awful-terrible hand eye coordination it really shouldn't be that difficult...

There's like a 2 second learning curve going between m/k to controller and vice versa. People should stop over-exaggerating it.

monkeytoes61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#166 monkeytoes61
Member since 2005 • 8399 Posts
The left stick moves the character, the right stick turns the characters head. Right trigger shoots....... I'll stop there.
Ryan_Som

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167 Ryan_Som
Member since 2009 • 2474 Posts

Fact: A mouse is quicker and more accurate than a controller.

My take?

Both are equally viable options for gaming. I've used both (although console much more extensively than PC) and I'm about to build a gaming rig for the first time ever, and honestly? I don't feel a big difference. True, I'm not as used to KB/M as the average PC gamer, but I can see the difference in speed and accuracy and appreciate having it. I don't find playing on consoles to be a huge handicap for 2 reasons: 1) I turn aim-assist off the first chance I get and 2) I ALWAYS max out my sensitivity.

I was playing the BF3 beta on PS3 and my friend who hadn't played much of it yet saw me frantically doing 180s and checking my surroundings. He says, "Where's the quick turn button?" So I said, "What?" "How did you turn around so fast like that?" "Umm, my sensitivity is maxed." To which he replied, "Man, I should probably up my sensitivity."

Is it harder to be accurate at high sensitivity on dual-analog? Absolutely. However, more difficult doesn't mean impossible. I've played FPSs on dual-analog, KB/M, and the Move and had both fun and success with each. In terms of usability it goes KB/M > Move > DS3 for me. That doesn't mean I still don't spend the majority of my time using a controller and enjoying.

The main reason I'm getting a gaming rig is for the games it offers that my platform of choice doesn't (L4D, Amnesia, Cryostasis, etc.) and to see games that I already own or will own on my PS3 in their full glory (Crysis 2, Battlefield 3, etc.).

Ryan_Som

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168 Ryan_Som

Also, as a direct answer to the TC: Millions of people drive cars that aren't Porches, yet they can still safely and confidently get from Point A to Point B. Taking a luxury car on a trip might be the preferred and better way to ride, but it doesn't mean that other modes of transportation are terrible.

Chris_Williams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#169 Chris_Williams
Member since 2009 • 14882 Posts

Also, as a direct answer to the TC: Millions of people drive cars that aren't Porches, yet they can still safely and confidently get from Point A to Point B. Taking a luxury car on a trip might be the preferred and better way to ride, but it doesn't mean that other modes of transportation are terrible.

Ryan_Som
ughhh, ummm.. horrible analogy, the only thing mouse and keyboard are ideal for is rts and first person shooters, 3rd person games and sports the controller is the ideal thing. they both have their pros and cons basically.
Ryan_Som

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170 Ryan_Som

[QUOTE="Ryan_Som"]

Chris_Williams

ughhh, ummm.. horrible analogy, the only thing mouse and keyboard are ideal for is rts and first person shooters, 3rd person games and sports the controller is the ideal thing. they both have their pros and cons basically.

Fair enough. It's not the best analogy, but it's not far off. Luxury and sports cars are better for driving that requires quick maneuvering and fast reactions. If we were to equate controllers to other cars, there are vans and buses. Not ultimately as accurate in movement, but they can carry a lot more people...like consoles. :P

EDIT: And yes, I agree: They both have pros and cons. I tried playing the Batman: Arkham Asylum demo with KB/M. It was...interesting. Definitely prefer a controller for that type of game though. I do have to ask where preference lies for TPSs. I can't imagine playing Uncharted with a KB/M.

Chris_Williams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171 Chris_Williams
Member since 2009 • 14882 Posts

[QUOTE="Chris_Williams"][QUOTE="Ryan_Som"]

Ryan_Som

Fair enough. It's not the best analogy, but it's not far off. Luxury and sports cars are better for driving that requires quick maneuvering and fast reactions. If we were to equate controllers to other cars, there are vans and buses. Not ultimately as accurate in movement, but they can carry a lot more people...like consoles. :P

EDIT: And yes, I agree: They both have pros and cons. I tried playing the Batman: Arkham Asylum demo with KB/M. It was...interesting. Definitely prefer a controller for that type of game though. I do have to ask where preference lies for TPSs. I can't imagine playing Uncharted with a KB/M.

hmmm, yes yes i agree. also a gamer should be able to go from keyboard and mouse/ controller easily, all you pc gamers, i know you guys grew up playing consoles so don't act like its a new different thing for you.
lowe0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172 lowe0
Member since 2004 • 13692 Posts

Ryan_Som
A better analogy might be manual vs automatic transmissions (with controllers w/o aim assist being paddle shift transmissions).
fusionhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173 fusionhunter
Member since 2008 • 2009 Posts

Long distance shots on PC is so much easier but I prefer the movement controls on the controller.

Ryan_Som

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174 Ryan_Som

[QUOTE="Ryan_Som"]

lowe0

A better analogy might be manual vs automatic transmissions (with controllers w/o aim assist being paddle shift transmissions).

Analogy improvement: Approved. ;)

Unrelated sidenote, I can drive both. :P

katana_duo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175 katana_duo
Member since 2005 • 1751 Posts
I do, it's not that hard.. I also play with M&KB
PC360Wii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176 PC360Wii
Member since 2007 • 4658 Posts
how can anyone play on a computer. mouse and keyboard is so annoying and uncomfortable to use to play gamesmems_1224
Yea sure, th emost time tested human to computer interface used everyday by a good billion people is uncomfortable :roll:
Ryan_Som

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177 Ryan_Som

[QUOTE="mems_1224"]how can anyone play on a computer. mouse and keyboard is so annoying and uncomfortable to use to play gamesPC360Wii
Yea sure, th emost time tested human to computer interface used everyday by a good billion people is uncomfortable :roll:

It is if you're using a 13" CRT monitor, budget keyboard, and a mouse that still has a tracball. :P

PC360Wii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178 PC360Wii
Member since 2007 • 4658 Posts

[QUOTE="PC360Wii"][QUOTE="mems_1224"]how can anyone play on a computer. mouse and keyboard is so annoying and uncomfortable to use to play gamesRyan_Som

It is if you're using a 13" CRT monitor, budget keyboard, and a mouse that still has a tracball. :P

In that case I could see why :P
Mordred19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179 Mordred19
Member since 2007 • 8259 Posts

it's not that bad when everyone else is using a controller too.

NirdBerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180 NirdBerd
Member since 2007 • 2113 Posts

Aim assist.

cain006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#181 cain006

Ryan_Som

I thought it was way better with they keyboard and mouse because you can change gadgets quicker and aiming is much easier.