How can anyone play shooters on a controller?

• 181 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

supdotcom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 supdotcom
Member since 2010 • 1121 Posts

aim assist. simple.

Avatar image for almasdeathchild
almasdeathchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#52 almasdeathchild
Member since 2011 • 8922 Posts

aim assist. simple.

supdotcom

games still have aim assist? well this is news to me

NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 NaveedLife
Member since 2010 • 17179 Posts

[QUOTE="supdotcom"]

aim assist. simple.

almasdeathchild

Im confused. You are kidding right?

almasdeathchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 almasdeathchild

[QUOTE="almasdeathchild"]

[QUOTE="supdotcom"]

aim assist. simple.

NaveedLife

Im confused. You are kidding right?

nope i thought aim assist was something last gen.or it's here and i never paid attention *shrugs*

strangeisland

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 strangeisland
Member since 2009 • 1153 Posts

same here

i see myself as disabled when trying to play any kind of shooter or anything that requires manual aimwith a controller

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#56 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts
Everyone else has to handicap themselves with a controller so you'll find that everyone sucks online. I rarely play console games online, yet when I do it's always easy to be the best player in the game.
Pug-Nasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#57 Pug-Nasty
Member since 2009 • 8508 Posts

aim assist. simple.

supdotcom

Aim assist isn't added to negate problems with the controls, it's there to assist players with less skill. In most games it can be turned off. I turn it off, as does everyone I know, because it makes you less accurate when you get better with the controller.

There are also games that just don't have aim assist, like KZ3. Perfectly playable without it.

I think it's easier to aim with a stick than a mouse, personally.

Speed is the only difference. Most console shooters don't have sensitivity that allows for split second 180s and whatnot. CoD is the only one I'm aware of that does, and at the highest setting it's still playable with a controller, very much so.

Skreltch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 Skreltch
Member since 2011 • 227 Posts

It takes much more skill, finess and coordination to be good with a controller... any fool can aim with a mouse.

RGDT021

Its actually the exact opposite, once you remove the clunk of the controller and get on the M/KB combo the true pros can then seperate themselves. The controller has a forced skillcap, the M/KB on the other hand, which is proven by gaming tournaments going waaaay back allow the top 1% of players to really show off skills otherwise unnatainable. You are saying an opinion based on your own experiences instead of listing facts.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#59 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

I'm more into third person shooters and they work great with controllers. I only play first person shooters every once in a while so controllers are good enough for me.

harshv82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#60 harshv82
Member since 2008 • 1120 Posts
They have hit boxes of the size of Dinosaur for a Human.
tenaka2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 tenaka2
Member since 2004 • 17958 Posts

[QUOTE="supdotcom"]

aim assist. simple.

almasdeathchild

All console shooters have aimbots, one of the reasons I prefer PC it takes more skill to aim on your own rather then leaving the game do it.

Pug-Nasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#62 Pug-Nasty
Member since 2009 • 8508 Posts

[QUOTE="almasdeathchild"]

[QUOTE="supdotcom"]

aim assist. simple.

tenaka2

All console shooters have aimbots, one of the reasons I prefer PC it takes more skill to aim on your own rather then leaving the game do it.

No they don't. This must be something PC gamers tell themselves, and each other, to feel 1337.

sickcrack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 sickcrack
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
Aim assist,huge hit boxes and whatnot.they might as well play the game for you.mouse is the king in fps.its not a preference thing,its a universal truth
almasdeathchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 almasdeathchild

Aim assist,huge hit boxes and whatnot.they might as well play the game for you.mouse is the king in fps.its not a preference thing,its a universal truthsickcrack
how so?people play as good on the controler as people do on a mouse

Avatar image for deactivated-5ec2b2cb7a41e
deactivated-5ec2b2cb7a41e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#65 deactivated-5ec2b2cb7a41e
Member since 2008 • 2058 Posts

How can anyone play shooters on a controller?

The_Capitalist
easy with the right stick and right triggers usually. it actually gives you a more "honest" feel than mouse where you are super precise and deadly and you can use sniper as a pistol. Check out some counterstrike vets , cause of mouse they are better than machines in terms of accuracy.total imersion breaking Imo a part of realism is killed cause of this accuracy. mouse was not intended as a gaming peripheral in the first place, nowadays we have more presiece stuff like razer and i do not know what else.
Lto_thaG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 Lto_thaG
Member since 2006 • 22611 Posts

It's easy.

tenaka2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 tenaka2

[QUOTE="tenaka2"]

[QUOTE="almasdeathchild"]games still have aim assist? well this is news to me

Pug-Nasty

No they don't. This must be something PC gamers tell themselves, and each other, to feel 1337.

Oh I didn't realise perhaps you could list some console shooters without aim assist and auto lock on features?

almasdeathchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 almasdeathchild

[QUOTE="Pug-Nasty"]

[QUOTE="tenaka2"]

tenaka2

Oh I didn't realise perhaps you could list some console shooters without aim assist and auto lock on features?

you can turn them off you know?

LustForSoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 LustForSoul
Member since 2011 • 6404 Posts
I prefer a controller over mouse myself, way more comfy. It's not even that hard, you just gotta get used to it.
Ravensmash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 Ravensmash
Member since 2010 • 13862 Posts

[QUOTE="Pug-Nasty"]

[QUOTE="tenaka2"]

tenaka2

Gears of War series, BFBC2 allows the player to turn off aim assist in both SP and MP, same with BF3 beta, Crysis 1, CS:GO (upcoming), Deus Ex has the option also. That's just off the top of my tired head.
Ravensmash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 Ravensmash
Also bare in mind that aim assist isn't a "cheat" on consoles as it is on PC - because unless you choose to turn it off, then other players have it too - it's a unanimous mechanic. It also varies from title to title, with many games having very unnoticeable assist.
Sagem28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 Sagem28
Member since 2010 • 10498 Posts

I actually prefer controllers instead mouse + keyboard for shooters.

It's just so boring, point your mouse at what you want to kill...left click...it dies
* yawn *

tenaka2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 tenaka2

[QUOTE="tenaka2"]

[QUOTE="Pug-Nasty"]

Ravensmash

Gears of War series, BFBC2 allows the player to turn off aim assist in both SP and MP, same with BF3 beta, Crysis 1, CS:GO (upcoming), Deus Ex has the option also. That's just off the top of my tired head.

So all those games do have aimbots built in and on by default, so I would be correct in saying that all console shooters have aim bots.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#74 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

I prefer the trigger on the PS3 or 360 to shoot than the mouse for a PC, feels more natural (plus hearing click click click click gets annoying).

Ravensmash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 Ravensmash

[QUOTE="Ravensmash"][QUOTE="tenaka2"]

tenaka2

So all those games do have aimbots built in and on by default, so I would be correct in saying that all console shooters have aim bots.

Gears of War isn't by default (at least I have never ever felt it online). But why does that matter? Don't PC gamers love to go on about choice and how having the option to do something is fantastic!
vashkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 135

User Lists: 25

#76 vashkey
Member since 2005 • 33781 Posts
I started out playing shooters on PC and I play them primarily on consoles now. It's not very hard. Trying would be a good start.
tenaka2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 tenaka2

[QUOTE="tenaka2"]

[QUOTE="Ravensmash"] Gears of War series, BFBC2 allows the player to turn off aim assist in both SP and MP, same with BF3 beta, Crysis 1, CS:GO (upcoming), Deus Ex has the option also. That's just off the top of my tired head.Ravensmash

Gears of War isn't by default (at least I have never ever felt it online). But why does that matter? Don't PC gamers love to go on about choice and how having the option to do something is fantastic!

Choices are great, but its more skillful to aim for yourself rather then the game doing it for you, I don't see the appeal of playing shooting games where you don't have to aim.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46688 Posts

Well some shooter don't make it on PC

Ravensmash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 Ravensmash

tenaka2

Choices are great, but its more skillful to aim for yourself rather then the game doing it for you, I don't see the appeal of playing shooting games where you don't have to aim.

Then turn it off if the option exists! :| You're forgetting that aim assist is used as a mechanism to get rid of the disadvantages of analogue sticks precision - I don't know how many console games you've played but it certainly doesn't mean you don't have to aim.
tenaka2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 tenaka2

[QUOTE="tenaka2"]

[QUOTE="Ravensmash"] Gears of War isn't by default (at least I have never ever felt it online). But why does that matter? Don't PC gamers love to go on about choice and how having the option to do something is fantastic!Ravensmash

Then turn it off if the option exists! :| You're forgetting that aim assist is used as a mechanism to get rid of the disadvantages of analogue sticks precision - I don't know how many console games you've played but it certainly doesn't mean you don't have to aim.

They option may exist but why would you turn it off knowing your opponents are using auto aim? Would make multi player a little redundant. :|

If the game aims for you you obviously don't have to aim.

Ravensmash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 Ravensmash

tenaka2

They option may exist but why would you turn it off knowing your opponents are using auto aim? Would make multi player a little redundant. :|

I turned it off in BF3 beta and did absolutely fine - many kill streaks. And unfortunately I'm beginning to grow wary of your argument, considering you obviously think console shooters have some sort of GTA style lock on :|
tenaka2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 tenaka2

[QUOTE="tenaka2"]

[QUOTE="Ravensmash"] Then turn it off if the option exists! :| You're forgetting that aim assist is used as a mechanism to get rid of the disadvantages of analogue sticks precision - I don't know how many console games you've played but it certainly doesn't mean you don't have to aim.Ravensmash

I turned it off in BF3 beta and did absolutely fine - many kill streaks. And unfortunately I'm beginning to grow wary of your argument, considering you obviously think console shooters have some sort of GTA style lock on :|

That is ok, it isn't unfortunate, it's understandable.

Ravensmash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 Ravensmash

tenaka2

What is understandable? Are you admitting your own argument is flawed and clearly biased?
MushroomWig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 MushroomWig
Member since 2009 • 11625 Posts
It's not a problem for me.
tenaka2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 tenaka2

[QUOTE="tenaka2"]

[QUOTE="Ravensmash"] I turned it off in BF3 beta and did absolutely fine - many kill streaks. And unfortunately I'm beginning to grow wary of your argument, considering you obviously think console shooters have some sort of GTA style lock on :|Ravensmash

What is understandable? Are you admitting your own argument is flawed and clearly biased?

All console shooters have auto aim, that is not a demonstration of bias or an argument against anything,it is a fact.

As for 'you can turn it off' is neither here nor there, all your opponents would have it on, my would anyone turn it off?

I am also growing wary of this, console shooters all have auto-aim features, that is really all there is to say.

Ravensmash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 Ravensmash

tenaka2

All console shooters have auto aim, that is not a demonstration of bias or an argument against anything,it is a fact.

As for 'you can turn it off' is neither here nor there, all your opponents would have it on, my would anyone turn it off?

I am also growing wary of this, console shooters all have auto-aim features, that is really all there is to say.

Gears of War 3 doesn't, and as far as I'm aware neither does CS:GO - and i'm sure there are others too. Your bias is your ridiculous hyperbole that the game literally aims for you thus implying no input/aiming from the user. And I don't know why exactly I turn it off ocassionally, but I never felt disadvantaged in the BF3 beta (legit).
tenaka2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 tenaka2

[QUOTE="tenaka2"]

[QUOTE="Ravensmash"] What is understandable? Are you admitting your own argument is flawed and clearly biased?Ravensmash

Gears of War 3 doesn't, and as far as I'm aware neither does CS:GO - and i'm sure there are others too. Your bias is your ridiculous hyperbole that the game literally aims for you thus implying no input/aiming from the user. And I don't know why exactly I turn it off ocassionally, but I never felt disadvantaged in the BF3 beta (legit).

Gears Of War 3 will have shooter aim-assist - Gears Of War 3 blog

http://www.gearsofwar3blog.com/2011/07/23/gears-of-war-3-will-have-shooter-aim-assist-in-casual-mode/

Gears 3 does have auto aim.

Ravensmash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 Ravensmash

tenaka2

Gears Of War 3 will have shooter aim-assist - Gears Of War 3 blog

http://www.gearsofwar3blog.com/2011/07/23/gears-of-war-3-will-have-shooter-aim-assist-in-casual-mode/

Gears 3 does have auto aim.

And that's a mode most players won't even see, and will then be locked. I wasn't even aware it existed.
lowe0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 lowe0
Member since 2004 • 13692 Posts

tenaka2
Because it's annoying as hell. I'm playing Rage, and the auto aim keeps drawing my aim off of where the enemy is going to stick his head out. I normally turn auto aim off as soon as I start a game, but Rage has no such option.
N3xus9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#90 N3xus9
Member since 2004 • 566 Posts

It is just a matter of getting used to ... however in my opinion it isnt as "natural" as keyboard and mouse.

the mouse is like your eyes in real life, you can glance anywhere very quickly and focus on what you want. Have a quick look around your room now, that is what using a mouse is actually like. You then have to make a split second decison on what to do. You have to think quick and react even quicker.

Whereas the controller is like operating a tank, you have to ponderously drag your view to what you want to see. You dont look around in combat if you dont have to because it is an effort do so. You are a bit handicapped with the controller which is why aim assist etc are so prevalent.

enterawesome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#91 enterawesome
Member since 2009 • 9477 Posts
I don't know, but we've had over twelve years to figure out.
EvanTheGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 EvanTheGamer
Member since 2009 • 1550 Posts
TC is a MLP fan, cannot possibly take seriously XD Just for humor though all of the major FPS games are for consoles so you better get used to it.
cain006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#93 cain006
Member since 2008 • 8625 Posts

It's annoying, but it doesn't stop me from playing Halo Reach every now and then.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44313 Posts

My only problem playing FPS on mah controller is the tiny screen - perhaps if they made giant controllers with bigger screens it would be better ? :twisted:

Anyhoo, I prefer the 360 controller > all other forms of controlling in game characters. :P

GD1551

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 GD1551
Member since 2011 • 9645 Posts

Another thing console games have is lock on. So you can "quick scope" alot.

chaoz-king

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#96 chaoz-king
Member since 2005 • 5956 Posts
It's only "imprecise and sloppy" if you suck at using the controller.
Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#97 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

It takes time to get used to a control scheme that you aren't familiar with, it's just a matter of how much you want to practice until you're comfortable.

donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#98 donalbane
Member since 2003 • 16383 Posts
A big secret to playing console FPS games is strafing side to side in order to line up the vertical axis of your target. You line up the vertical axis initially (put the reticle at the height of the target), and then use the left stick to move left/right so that the target is centered. Keeps you mobile, and greatly improves accuracy (in my case.)
GTSaiyanjin2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 GTSaiyanjin2
Member since 2005 • 6018 Posts

Its easier to aim with a m/k.... For playing FPS on a gamepad you just need to get used to it, it wont ever be as precise, so you need to adjust, and play your games in a different manner. And no games dont have aim bots, so dont worry about that.

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#100 parkurtommo
Member since 2009 • 28295 Posts

Yes, it's true, console gamers are more skilled because they can perform headshots with an analog stick...

:P

I'm so used to them it makes absolutely no difference.